Photo

Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

#251 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:14

I have today been advised that the great Allan Tomlinson, winner of the 1939 Australian Grand Prix, passed away yesterday. The funeral will take place next week in Perth Western Australia

Advertisement

#252 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,727 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:20

Very sad to hear that John. He was looking extraordinary for his age when I met him with Ray on his 2009 visit to Australia.

#253 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:42

What a terrible week...

So sad to hear about Allan, though we knew this could happen at any time to someone who's just turned 95.

And tonight I was advised that Leon Prgomet died last Tuesday. Leon has not been well for a few years, some of his problems relating to living in a house where birds were kept, but he's been positive and struggling on trying to get a new business up and running, all of this interspersed with periods of illness.

Leon was one of the quality photographers at the trackside haunts in the late sixties and early seventies. I met him on our flag point and got to know him better when I went to work at RCN, during which time he allowed the Mazda rotary engines absorb him and he was to spend the rest of his life developing and building them.

At one time, he told me, people at Mazda called him to help them solve a problem with their engines, which he did over the phone. And the people who've run his engines never stop praising his ability to get power and utter reliability out of them.

I do hope something is done to preserve his negatives, should they still exist, and enable his work to live on as a reminder that he was once among us.

#254 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:52

Rip Allan Tomlinson.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#255 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,783 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:16

Sad week, two that I have met and another that would like to have met. Rest in peace Ian, Leon and Allan.

#256 Repco22

Repco22

• 714 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 13:50

It is with great sadness that I record the passing of Larry Wright of Evansville, Indiana . Larry will be known to members of a US speedway forum and for his design work at the Sun Prairie Midget Hall of Fame in Wisconsin. He was a keen historian and contributed some pieces to vintage midget publications. A lifelong speedway enthusiast, but only of classic midgets and "real" front-engined Indy cars, he was hooked when he first went to Indy as a kid in the late forties-- and Novis were his abiding passion. Larry was sought- after as a signwriter and hand pin-striper of race cars, an example of his work being on the magnificent, restored "Snook Offy" midget which had been raced by AJ Foyt and Johnny Rutherford among others. He owned [and painted, with the help of his wife, Dale, whom he had taught the trade] the Freddie Agabashian-built V8-60 midget which he reluctantly sold to Australia when his health began to fail.
Posted Image

Top; The Agabashian V8-60 in Perth with the Johnny Pawl-built "Chiropractic Special" behind, which, co-incidentally, Rodger Ward drove at Indy. Larry is mentioned in Mike O'Leary's book on Ward, as the young airman who plucked up courage to meet his hero and wound up having dinner with him.
Bottom pic; The Snook midget with new paint job.
Below; A painting, by Larry, of the Bonneville version of a Novi. At his request, I made a model of the car and posted it a week ago but unfortunately it did not arrive in time...
Posted Image

Though he didn't race, there was no bigger vintage speedway fan.
Posted Image

RIP Larry Wright.

#257 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,179 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 19:16

Sad news, indeed. Not the best couple of weeks at all. Our paths crossed sporadically and he was always enthusiastic and helpful to newcomers or to people like me who ask stupid questions! :)

Edited by Richie Jenkins, 05 August 2011 - 19:17.

#258 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:05

Neville Bridges... Monday, October 3 at about 5pm AEST...

He raced tin-tops of various kinds, principally various Holdens, from the sixties through the eighties. He was a hillclimber as well, and extremely well-known car preparer. He became a gypsy in the last couple of decades, drifting from one workshop to another preparing cars for people. Driving the transporters. Visiting his friends.

Three weeks ago he felt weak, one day he couldn't muster the energy or coordination to bolt a wheel on Stan Adler's Porsche, he went to the doctor. That led to hospital and a test that revealed Leukemia - he was told that with treatment he had a 70% chance of survival, but an initial burst of chemo apparently didn't go well with him and he pulled the pin on the treatment, opting for the 100% chance of not lasting out another month.

One of his dreams was to compete at Pikes Peak, he went there with Shane Cowham last year to see what it was like and they were planning together to mount a 2-car Australian visit. Shane will now be doing that on his own... but in Neville's memory as they were always good mates.

#259 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 805 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:27

Sad news, I met him a few years ago when he was on one of his trips passing through Coffs Harbour.

Advertisement

#260 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:48

Sad news for the J and K fraternity - Estelle, much loved wife of Trevor Dunford passed away on Saturday evening

Sincere condolences from the SA fraternity

#261 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 287 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 20:32

Neville Bridges... Monday, October 3 at about 5pm AEST...

He raced tin-tops of various kinds, principally various Holdens, from the sixties through the eighties. He was a hillclimber as well, and extremely well-known car preparer. He became a gypsy in the last couple of decades, drifting from one workshop to another preparing cars for people. Driving the transporters. Visiting his friends.

Three weeks ago he felt weak, one day he couldn't muster the energy or coordination to bolt a wheel on Stan Adler's Porsche, he went to the doctor. That led to hospital and a test that revealed Leukemia - he was told that with treatment he had a 70% chance of survival, but an initial burst of chemo apparently didn't go well with him and he pulled the pin on the treatment, opting for the 100% chance of not lasting out another month.

One of his dreams was to compete at Pikes Peak, he went there with Shane Cowham last year to see what it was like and they were planning together to mount a 2-car Australian visit. Shane will now be doing that on his own... but in Neville's memory as they were always good mates.

Neville was a long term mate of mine (we met in school). Along the way we have done lots of things together and learnt lots together. Since he started roaming up and down the east coast of Australia I haven't seen as much of him. He turned up at Lakeside to see me run the car that I have been restoring for many years. He was always at me to get it finished. Thankfully he was able to see it run.
A sad loss, RIP old mate.

Dale.

#262 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 20:35

An e.mail from Neville's father, Harry, (via Dale Harvey) says he's hoping to have a cremation and service later this week on the Gold Coast, with a further memorial service and disposal of the ashes (he hopes) at Lakeside at a later date...

It's quite likely this was Neville's wishes.

I hope Dale can keep us further informed, he was also visiting Neville when I went to see him and has probably known him longer than anyone else here.

#263 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 20:40

I'm sorry to read of the loss of your friend, Ray. :(

Take Care.

#264 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 287 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 20:46

The details for Neville's funeral are as follows:-
11 am on the 10th October at the Dream Centre Christian Church. This is on the corner of Nerang-Broadbeach road and Chisholm road Nerang. Entry off Chisholm road.
The church is approx. 2-3 klms from Nerang Station.

Dale.

#265 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,261 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:44

Long-time vintage racing writer and afficanado (and TNFer) Mike Gee (magee) passed away today at the Richmond (British Columbia) General Hospital. Mike leaves behind his wife Cathy, daughters Stephanie and Carol-lynn and son Chris. Mike was well known for his contribution to vintage racing and his historical accounts of the glorious Westwood days.

Vince H.

#266 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,487 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 13:24

As the DSC was gazetted on May 7th, it must be for an action early in the campaign: maybe the sinking of the Koenigsberg at Bergen on April 10th by Skuas of 800 and 803 squadrons FAA?

Torin led Green Section, the second flight of 803 Sqn Blackburn Skuas to attack the Koningsberg in Bergen harbour that day. She became - I think - the first warship to be lost to enemy aerial action in wartime, but very little was made of the event at the time. The raid had been staged from Hatston aerodrome in the Orkneys, and while the returning crews believed they had hit the cruiser, none had seen her sink. British propagandists at the time were very wary of making unsubstantiated claims, especially since they had just had a field day making fun of the Hun for claiming to have sunk HMS Ark Royal - which in fact survived intact and hyper-active - and to have bombed the Forth Bridge (their aerial photos captioned as showing a direct hit in fact merely showing the bare rock of Inch Garvie island). By the time it became certain that the Konigsberg had indeed sunk other events of the Norway campaign obscured what had been a significant success. Torin later became CO of his FAA Squadron, flying Fairey Fulmars. The Skua dive bomber had not been a great aircraft, but the Bergen raid demonstrated to very attentive Japanese and German audiences just what lightly opposed dive bombing could achieve against surface ships - especially one moored in harbour.

DCN

#267 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,012 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 15:19

Long-time vintage racing writer and afficanado (and TNFer) Mike Gee (magee) passed away today at the Richmond (British Columbia) General Hospital. Mike leaves behind his wife Cathy, daughters Stephanie and Carol-lynn and son Chris. Mike was well known for his contribution to vintage racing and his historical accounts of the glorious Westwood days.

Vince H.

Very sorry to hear of this Vince. I only met Mike a few times and he was a real enthusiast-especially where Westwood was concerned. He also raced the ex Montlery Cooper Streamliner for several years at Westwood. RIP.

#268 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:25

Smoky Snellbaker [The Silver Fox] US National Sprint Car Hall of Famer has passed away aged 79

#269 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:43

Smoky Snellbaker [The Silver Fox] US National Sprint Car Hall of Famer has passed away aged 79

That's a name I know, a legendary shoe indeed.

http://www.nationals...ker-dead-at-79/

RIP.

#270 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:19

One of the true giants when it comes to personal recollection of motor racing in Australia in the thirties and forties has gone...

The word came through Hal Moloney and Max Stahl advised me today that Clive Gibson had suffered a fatal stroke this morning. Hal has been organising RedEx reunions for a few years and tells me that Clive never missed one.

Everyone who knew Clive will tell of his incredible memory for detail, names and places associated with the sport over the decades of the thirties, forties and fifties. Hal just asked him a week or so ago about a delay he and Frank Kleinig had coming out of Alice Springs on an early RedEx trial.

"Oh, yeah, that was the time..." I can just hear Clive saying it now. He told Hal chapter and verse about what was wrong with the car, what Frank said he should do about it, how he injured himself when things went awry and probably how many hours and minutes they lost into the next control!

Sadly, Clive has had loneliness touch him over the past few years. His son, Ross, suicided perhaps three decades ago. He was into music and also had Aspergers or something similar. He could memorise phone books and that kind of thing. Clive's wife was put into a nursing home perhaps three years ago and Clive spent time each day visiting her until she died.

He bought himself an ex-police pursuit car about this time and found his daughter demanding that he not drive it to her home in Queensland when he wanted to visit because he was suddenly getting booked for speeding!

I gather he was about 89 and that sounds about right for someone who slept standing up in a phone box with another young motor sporting enthusiast in Bathurst at Easter time in 1938. That's how Clive's lifelong friendship with Byron Gunther began.

I really doubt that anybody could take as much knowledge and information about cars and motor racing in that era in Australia to the grave as has Clive. But even more remarkable, he had the same knowledge and recollection of those early trials as well. Importantly, he didn't keep these things to himself and he shared photos, movies and stories freely with anyone who ever cared to ask.

Clive was also the custodian of the McIntyre Hudson for many years. As a mechanic - did I mention he was Kleinig's apprentice? - he lovingly kept it in first class order. As he did all of his cars.

Cars were his life, he never raced, but he was there in the thick of it absorbing and contributing.

We're going to miss him...

#271 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:19

One of the true giants when it comes to personal recollection of motor racing in Australia in the thirties and forties has gone...

The word came through Hal Moloney and Max Stahl advised me today that Clive Gibson had suffered a fatal stroke this morning. Hal has been organising RedEx reunions for a few years and tells me that Clive never missed one.

Everyone who knew Clive will tell of his incredible memory for detail, names and places associated with the sport over the decades of the thirties, forties and fifties. Hal just asked him a week or so ago about a delay he and Frank Kleinig had coming out of Alice Springs on an early RedEx trial.

"Oh, yeah, that was the time..." I can just hear Clive saying it now. He told Hal chapter and verse about what was wrong with the car, what Frank said he should do about it, how he injured himself when things went awry and probably how many hours and minutes they lost into the next control!

Sadly, Clive has had loneliness touch him over the past few years. His son, Ross, suicided perhaps three decades ago. He was into music and also had Aspergers or something similar. He could memorise phone books and that kind of thing. Clive's wife was put into a nursing home perhaps three years ago and Clive spent time each day visiting her until she died.

He bought himself an ex-police pursuit car about this time and found his daughter demanding that he not drive it to her home in Queensland when he wanted to visit because he was suddenly getting booked for speeding!

I gather he was about 89 and that sounds about right for someone who slept standing up in a phone box with another young motor sporting enthusiast in Bathurst at Easter time in 1938. That's how Clive's lifelong friendship with Byron Gunther began.

I really doubt that anybody could take as much knowledge and information about cars and motor racing in that era in Australia to the grave as has Clive. But even more remarkable, he had the same knowledge and recollection of those early trials as well. Importantly, he didn't keep these things to himself and he shared photos, movies and stories freely with anyone who ever cared to ask.

Clive was also the custodian of the McIntyre Hudson for many years. As a mechanic - did I mention he was Kleinig's apprentice? - he lovingly kept it in first class order. As he did all of his cars.

Cars were his life, he never raced, but he was there in the thick of it absorbing and contributing.

We're going to miss him...

#272 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:44

On Sunday Mick Lambert lost his battle, I believe a stroke claimed him after he'd recovered from similar events over the past few years.

Mick was the mechanic who carried Pete Geoghegan's cars through after the departure of John Sheppard in the late sixties. I believe he was the one who painted (or organised to be painted...) the message, "Piss off nosy!" on the back of the rear axle housing of the Mustang.

This was in keeping with his overall appearance to the outside world. Somewhat secretive, but good for a laugh when it suited him to join in the merriment.

All the same, it has to be said that he was more than just a competent mechanic, Pete enjoyed a lot of success in cars spannered by him.

He died on the Sunshine Coast and leaves a wife, Gail, and some children.

#273 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:08

A surprise in my e.mails this morning...

John Stranger, competitor, organiser, enthusiast over many years, died on Monday. He'd been very ill for a short while and in a nursing facility.

John is best known to most of us as Geoff Sykes' offsider at the AARC and Warwick Farm, but his history is much deeper than that.

#274 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,852 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:23

Sad to hear about Mick Lambert.Mick was one of the 'Sutherland Shire mob', involved in motor sport in the early '60s.

One little incident comes to mind.....when Mick rolled his Renault [Gordini?] at The Farm, he promptly towed it out to the Kurnell Road, to avoid hassles with the insurance. RIP Mick.

#275 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:31

He wasn't the only one to ever try (or get away with...) that little move...

I guess the assessors weren't as careful back then?

#276 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,852 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 21:06

Mick was lucky to 'get away with it'. Phil Murphy, a friend of mine was there as Mick was telling me of his plans to 'set up' the roll-over, near Kurnell. After Mick left, Phil suggested I tell him to be very careful who is listening when talking about his plan........Phil worked for a major insurance company, and could have [but didn't] looked to see if Mick was 'on their books'.

#277 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:54

David Levy was the motive force behind Club Lotus Australia getting off the ground...

Three or four years ago he had some pieces of his liver cut out as there was a cancer taking hold. Unfortunately it seems it wasn't truly beaten and his time ran out on Tuesday of this week and around Sydney there will be many owners of Elans, Elites, Sevens and Europas who'll be thinking about a bloke who helped them form a valuable club.

#278 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:13

Many will also acknowledge his meticulous Ferrari and Lamborghini work. He will be sadly missed.

#279 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:42

I gather he 'did his time' to become a manual arts teacher along with Owen Wuillemin, who died in 2010... a great loss...

Not yet 65, I believe, and dedicated to doing nice things with nice cars.

Advertisement

#280 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,352 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:57

Sad to hear the news of David passing ,i have known him many years, we used to water ski out of Yowie Bay on some Sunday mornings in his brothers boat .

#281 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 15:01

Nice to know that some of you blokes knew him...

I doubt that I ever met him, but his passing was mentioned to me today by Norm Smith and I figured he deserved a mention.

#282 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 22:12

Very pleased to say both Dave and Owen assisted with my 250 GTO project.

Below is from Tommy Yang's Ferrari restoration site - http://www.tomyang.n...rs/ferrari.html - go to diary for December 2005, then click on a date from the list in the top left column - there are accompanying photos.

12/21/05
Sydney Ferrari Shop: Part I

Not far from Cronulla Beach in a suburb of Sydney was a small garage that specializes in Vintage Ferraris. I heard about David Levy from T### H### in Brisbane, and was given David's number to call while I was in Sydney. David was nice enough to see me for a visit, and gave me directions to his shop. I rang up another web friend who actually lives in the same area for a ride to the shop and some company for the morning visit. A### is an Alfa guy, and was more than happy to take me to Mr. Levy's shop.

Tucked away in the back of an unmarked building was a stash of Ferraris in various states of repair. Greeting us at the door was a Long Nose single cam 275GTB that was being put back together after an engine rebuild.

Next to it was a brown 330 GTC that was also getting some engine work done. David Levy seems to specialize in GTCs as he's owned one for 35 years. In a modest fashion, he decribed himself as a fabricator and machinst, but I could see from his work he was much more.

In another part of the shop we found another GTC being built from the ground up.

A third GTC was in Levy's shop getting a full restoration. When I considered how rare Vintage Ferraris are, and how few of them made it to the land down under, I began to realize how amazing it was to see three GTCs in the same shop with a fourth one not far away in David's home. Perhaps it was only a Vintage Ferrari Fan that would care, but I was impressed.

We spent a bit of time comparing notes on these cars, and David showed me many of the parts he has made for Vintage Ferraris. Some parts he made because he was disappointed with the quality of what was available, and some parts he made because there just wasn't a source anymore. He's made shutters and mounting plates for the twin distributors in a V-12 so they will fire a MSD ignition box, along with many necessary parts for RHD conversions. David also claims to have made better head gaskets and timming chain case gaskets, and uses them on all his rebuilds without any leaks. He also showed me sets of valve lash adjusters he designed and made for Vintage V-12 engines. These adjusters have the ball socket feet much like the ones found on Porsches, but are the correct diameter and thread pitch to screw into the Ferrari rocker arms. With some minor machine work on the rockers, these adjusters can make Ferrari valve trains much more reliable, last longer, and cut down on wear and tear. I've seen similar modifications on other cars, but these adjusters were manufactured specifically for the Ferrari V-12. If you thought about doing a similar mod, I would talk to David first. His e-mail is: ####### to be continued...

12/22/05
Sydney Ferrari Shop: Part II

As I walked around David Levy's shop, I noticed a shape of a car that looked vaguely familiar, and yet it was something I had never seen before. It had many Ferrari, Scaglietti, and Pininfarina design cues, but it was not recognizable as a particular model. When I asked David what it was, he told me it was a pet project that he has been working on "all too many years."

The car sits on a 400/365 chassis that has been shortened by Levy. He completely removed the old body, and began literally with a blank sheet of paper. He drew his car on bits of paper, and fabricated sections in steel from scratch. He let his eye and hand form the shape of the car following lines originally sketched by the Italian design houses in the 60s. Everything on this car has been reworked or formed by Levy, even the bumpers. When I asked if he used pneumatic tools for some of the forming, he laughed and told me EVERYTHING was formed using only hand tools and a torch! I did not know whether to be sympathetic or impressed with the amount of hours he has spent on this car!

The nose of this car has a narrowed 330 2+2 grille, and a shape very similar to a short nose GTB. The head lights will use Plexiglas covers that were fabricated along with the stainless surrounds. The two bulges in the hood similar to the single hood bulge found on early TRs tells another story of what will power this car.

The engine in this car came from a GTC/4 or a GT/4 that has dual overhead cams and side draft DCOE Weber carbs. This configuration was used so these two models could have a low hood line, but created a very wide engine. Levy's car could not afford the space for the carbs so an alternative was needed.

Levy created and cast a set of downdraft intake manifolds so fuel intake could come from above! The shape and castings look like they came from the factory, and to the casual observer would look like a Ferrari "one-off!" David plans to use fuel injection with a fuel rail and custom air cleaner, all to hide under those two hood bulges in the the bodywork. I only wish I could see this car running and driving on the street someday! Good luck David, and thanks for the tour!

Edited by Wirra, 22 March 2012 - 23:07.

#283 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 23:32

If, as it seems, he was in the same mold as Owen, he certainly will be missed...

Too many of the 'good ones' are leaving us!

#284 Wirra

Wirra

• 918 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 00:24

True artisans… I trust they have left a legacy with the students they taught.

I suspect ‘manual arts’ today is all about computer graphics and loading programmes into CNC machines.

Edited by Wirra, 23 March 2012 - 01:30.

#285 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:22

I've been meaning to list John Arter in here...

He died about ten days ago, the funeral was in Orange last Monday.

John was a leading light in rallying, events like the Southern Cross and so on. He was with the Australian Sporting Car Club.

#286 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,352 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:21

Posted Image
David,s Yellow Ferrari it took him 30 years to make.

Edited by eldougo, 09 April 2012 - 01:23.

#287 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:54

And now Ted de Lissa...

This is the tribute written by Nev Beyer, who frequently worked alongside Ted:

Ted De Lissa

Ted De Lissa was a Motoring enthusiast as long as I have known him. He was an active member of the Singer Car Club at a time when the Oran Park Circuit was being built with the help of an eager band of volunteers. One of his contributions was in his role of being a Telecom Technician, to set up the first Phone system at the circuit.

His major contribution to the new circuit was in taking on the role of Chief Flag Marshal. This was probably based on his experience with Flagging at other circuits including Bathurst, but a whole new ball game in that the characteristics of the circuit were then unknown and he had to operate with a raw brand new team. He continued in this role for the first 5 years, having to leave because of work commitments.

As a volunteer under his leadership he was a popular, likeable guy who always had time for a quiet chat as he walked around the Flag Points, and that friendship carried on until his recent demise.

Whenever an Anniversary or Reunion was mentioned, Ted would jump in to help round up old acquaintances and his enthusiasm continued right up until his major involvement in the “Friends of Oran Park Motor Racing” group was formed after the initial Reunion in 2010 at the Crossroads Hotel. He then acted as Secretary/Treasurer of the group, doing the “hard yards” chasing up mailing lists and sponsors. The huge success of the 50th Anniversary Reunion at Casula was in a large part, due to his contribution.

After leaving Oran Park he continued on as an active member of many Motoring organisations, both as a competitor, Official and Secretary of many Clubs, including the Morris Minor and Peugeot Car Clubs, having owned immaculate versions of each marque and as a helper with FOSC.

The last 12months saw Ted battling multiple health problems, and after the Reunion he held up his hand and said that he could no longer continue in his Secretarial role, although he “wanted to be kept in circle”. He just loved the Sport.

Nev Beyer

I have to add that he was a man worthy of being called a friend. A quiet and unassuming bloke who got on with the job and worked hard to make his chosen sport successful.

He played a large part in making the NSWRRC race meetings work at Oran Park, giving many an opportunity to get a start in racing without having to launch their 'careers' at National Open meetings.

To me, he made Oran Park on those days to be much more enjoyable than I'd ever known it to be, probably more in keeping with what the Singer Car Club members of old wanted it to become.

A sad loss...

Edited by Ray Bell, 17 April 2012 - 05:56.

#288 AnnieOz

AnnieOz

• 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:38

It is with great sadness I inform you that Helene Bittner passed away tody. Helene was well known as a fierce competitor in the Rebelle and the Vitesse, competing at the top ranks of the open wheeler fields in the early 60s. I last saw Helene at the 50th anniversary for the Mallala Gp held last year, and am honoured to say that I shared a glass of bubbles. Always a lady to talk humbly of herself, if you could get her to talk about racing. She always spoke of the tremendous work that Robert Todd did to ensure that she was able to compete. I am sure she will be missed by many.
RIP Helene

Annie

#289 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:42

Thank you for passing that on, Annie...

I'm quite sure she'll be missed, especially in that close-knit community of people associated with the sport in and around Adelaide.

#290 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,847 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26

Motorsport enthusiast and competitor Alan Newton lost his fight with cancer on the 26tht April. The 68 year old was a keen competitor and exceptional engineer. When BARC Yorkshire Centre was looking for help in securing Harewood hillclimb course Alan stepped forward and was a shareholder in the enterprise. Probably best known for his involvement with Abarth engines he firstly took over the 6 cylinder two litre engine from Holbay. He resolved a major crank problem and then used the sonorous engine in his 772P March to good effect. Later he became involved in resurrecting the 4 cylinder two litre engine for use in Abarth sports racing cars.
As a competitor Alan ran in the British Sprint Championship starting in 1986 with a 1600 Huron. He later ran the Pilbeam modified March R28/46 before moving onto a March 772P. The 772P initially ran the 6cy Abarth engine but Alan converted it to use a Cosworth DFR V8. This engine was then slotted into the back of the ex-Griffiths/Grace Pilbeam MP58. Alan’s best result in the Sprint Championship was a couple of third places, the last in 1997, whilst on his forays into the hillclimb championship saw his best effort being a seventh place at his beloved Harewood in 1996.
He leaves behind his devoted wife Ann and his two sons David and Peter.
The funeral will be held at Accrington Crematorium on Friday at 12:20.

#291 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:23

So soon after Ted De Lissa's sudden loss...

Another Oran Park stalwart, Doreen Chisholm has succumbed a week or so ago to a long illness. Doreen and Ron were always there and always helpful in running meetings at that circuit.

#292 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,852 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 21:50

That's sad about Doreen. Ron was often grid marshal at O.P.

When I went for my motorcycle licence test, Ron was waiting for me out the front of Miranda Motor Registry. He was dressed in his DMT uniform, and was holding my 'paperwork'. As he did not appear to know me, I did not let on that I knew who he was, and rode the course that he directed.

On my return from the test ride, Ron [with a straight, stern face] told me to ride around the triangular island, near where were standing, on the concrete gutter. I looked to see if he was joking, and when I realised that he was serious, off I rode. Much to the amusement of of the passers-by, I managed to get back, without falling off, and was met by Ron....doubled up with laughter. If he wasn't such a big bloke I might have taken a swing at him! After a bit of a [motor racing] chat, I rode away with my licence in my pocket.

#293 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 619 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 22:53

That's so sad about Doreen.

I haven't seen the Chisholms for at least 20 years - sad how we drift apart.

It was them that started me on the writing and commentary. I owe them a lot.

BM

#294 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,783 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:43

Sad news about Doreen, I had not seen the Chisholms in about ten years. They were one of the major driving forces behind NSW club racing for a long time.

#295 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,261 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:00

This from Karen Smith:

"...Jerry Grant's daughter called to say that Jerry passed away very peacefully
with his wife by his side. Yvonne said his eyes and mouth were closed and he
had a smile on his face. Thank God he is at peace.

He had a remarkable career and life..."

Jerry was going to be one of the panelists at a seminar in Monterey on Thursday.

Some photos:

Posted Image

1962 Rose Cup, Portland

Posted Image

1963 Player's Pacific, Westwood

Posted Image

1966 Lola T70

Posted Image

with wife...and ever-present can of diet soda...at 2010 Legends of Riverside.

First two photos by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks; third photo from Larry Webb.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 13 August 2012 - 06:07.

#296 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,692 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:18

Vince, as a lifer, I can't Thank You enough for honoring Jerry in such a profound way. :up:

Karen's words and the photos from Ted/Eric and Larry are astounding.

I followed Jerry's endeavors as a kid, and often wondered if Mark himself thought the '72 Borg-Warner belonged to Mr. Grant.

RIP. Jerry was an indelible legacy for myself and untold more.

#297 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 789 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:39

Vince, as a lifer, I can't Thank You enough for honoring Jerry in such a profound way. :up:

Karen's words and the photos from Ted/Eric and Larry are astounding.

I followed Jerry's endeavors as a kid, and often wondered if Mark himself thought the '72 Borg-Warner belonged to Mr. Grant.

RIP. Jerry was an indelible legacy for myself and untold more.

Yet Another excellent example of one of Indy's "what if's" .

Imagine if Jerry Had won in 1972 , how that may have affected Mark (and Roger's) F1 timeline as well ,since i doubt F1 was gonna be attempted til Mark had a 500 win.
Heck Mark may have decided to stay in Indy and never attempt F1 and rack up 2 3 or 4 wins and helped the Penske car become dominant even sooner.

R I P Jerry Grant

#298 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,485 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 21:46

A text message from Max Stahl this morning...

Warren Weldon, early Holden racer, EH racer, regular Bathurst competitor etc died last night.

#299 wagons46

wagons46

• 275 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 22:20

Very sad but not unexpected. I heard that his latest hospital admittance would be terminal. He provided a lot of excitement and entertainment for a lot of people from the very early 60's up until quite recently. Thank you Warren and our thoughts are with your family.

Advertisement

#300 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 655 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:27

Warren Weldon was to me the cat among the pigeons, but what a cat, a driver to be admired to the fullest.