Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

#351 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:40

Not sure about car movements, David...

But he was an employee of Max's at RCN for a couple of years in the sixties. Prior to the Rob Luck era.

Graham was interested in the sport at all levels, but he really shone and knowing what was going on in the 'Division 2' stuff at places like Hume Weir, Oran Park and so on. He moved easily among people such as Brian Rawlings and Team Party House and second-string Formula Ford entrants, taking note of what they were doing with their cars.

Of course, this was often conveyed in his commentary on the circuit PA, or perhaps on ABC radio or TV, but a lot was merely stored away as precious knowledge.

Advertisement

#352 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 602 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:19

Graham & I became friends in 1961/2 after his Nota Sportsman had valve train problems at Huntley Hill, he managed to drive the car to my home where he repaired it after being fed by my Mother, from that day on Graham & I were always friends.

It is so sad to hear of his loss to Motor Sport, to his Wife & Family my Condolances, now my friend you are with all your friends from days past.

#353 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,751 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:37

Only just heard that John Uren passed away last December.

John drove an NSU Prinz, and a Lotus Cortina back in the early '60s.

#354 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 602 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 22:11

Graham as I remember him, Eastern Creek in a Lotus 11. RIP my Friend

Posted Image

#355 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,494 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:06

The loss of Graham Howard early today cuts a tie of a personal nature for me...

... To Maria and his family I offer my sincere condolences. Our own life experiences confirm within us the pain you are feeling.

Beautiful, lovely tribute Ray. :up:

Anyone would be proud to read such wonderful script about their impact on others.

#356 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,713 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:10

RIP Graham.

#357 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:16

Graham was a real gentleman who always made time to have an enthusiastic chat about anything to do with motor-sport and was very generous with his encyclopaedic knowledge of the industry and its history.

I knew this was coming, but it doesnt make it any easier when it does.

I have been an email and telephone correspondent with GH for over 20 years, starting in the early days of my researches into racing at Longford, when he gave me a number of useful contacts, continuing through my period as a secondhand motoring literature dealer when he was an occasional buyer but always up for some free photocopies of old race programs.....

His writing on Australian motor racing had an accuracy and concise nature that I aspire to in my own work, but I dont think will ever attain. I felt very priviliged to be asked to check some aspects of his Lex Davison book as related to longford.

He told me last year he was not well, and I was determined that I should meet him before it was too late, and put a face to the voice I had known for so long. In early January this year I visited Graham and Maria at their home, and spent much of a day going through his aircooled Cooper files with him. Even though he was very tired, he seemed to enjoy it, and I am so pleased I did.

As some here will know, he was always up to date on what was happening on TNF, but for his own very good reasons he had not posted for quite a while.

I will miss the chance to have him critique something I have written, and get an insight into his knowledge. More importantly though, GH would sometimes make a passing comment that demonstrated his extraordinary understanding of context in Australian motor racing.

RIP Grimes.

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 12 March 2013 - 11:02.

#358 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:56

Originally posted by austmcreg
.....More importantly though, GH would sometimes make a passing comment that demonstrated his extraordinary understanding of context in Australian motor racing.

Rob, it's those 'passing comments' that helped Terry Walker build his Fast Tracks book...

I recall Terry telling me that Graham would just say something to him like, "You should check up on the event held at Woody Point in Brisbane in 1936," and Terry had another circuit to locate and map.

#359 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 276 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:55

Graham as I remember him, Eastern Creek in a Lotus 11. RIP my Friend

Posted Image

Dan, I think it is a Lotus 15. Currently owned by Barry Bates. Barry bought the car from Graham many, many years ago. Graham was having a guest drive that day.

RIP. Graham.

Dale.

Advertisement

#360 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:09

Was anyone around when Graham tried to make a business out of a courier service for the racing workshops around Sydney?

He was using a Peugeot 203 ute or station wagon. The clutch didn't work for some time so, he told me, he'd pull up at the lights with the engine off, grind away on the starter to take off and make clutchless gearchanges.

Handy, those 6.75:1 rear ends...

#361 cooper997

cooper997

• 825 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:01

Rob, beautifully put tribute to Graham... maybe forward it to Auto Action.

I''m not exactly sure when in 1978, he took over from John Blanden with his Auto Action column. But I can quickly lay my hands on a March 2 issue with 'John Blanden's RECOLLECTIONS' on page 20. That by the June 8 issue had morphed into 'Graham Howard's RECOLLECTIONS' on page 17. In that column the Tornado-Corvette comes in for some coverage. So the best part of 35 years writing his column with the odd title change, known as 'Historically Speaking' for many years. While in more recent times, simply as 'Historics with Graham Howard'. But I have an admission to make that I would often just read his piece in the newsagent because the rest of the 'magazine' failed to entice me to take my wallet out, that often. Issue #1527 from early Feb was the most recent, this being when Graham wrote of the Pearse Cooper-MG changing hands.

I well remember contact with Graham in the mid 90s. I was hoping he could put something in his column for an event I was organising and wanted to spread the word for some Cooper racing cars to be involved. This he duly did. But it was during that conversation that he and no doubt many of us who've ever written anything will relate. He was pondering getting involved with the then fairly new email method of forwarding messages. But he was however still visiting his local newsagent or shop to get his column faxed through to the Auto Action editorial staff. They would then type up his column and as he made clear to me, would change things as they re-typed it. Frustrating him for doing so.

Graham's knowledge of all things 'historic' and a down to earth manner, his love of the air-cooled cars with his, Terry & Garry's effort on 'Loose Fillings', make him very much irreplaceable within the historic movement.

From my own perspective he was akin to being Australia's DCN (or is DCN, the UK's Graham Howard?). Well both have beards! With each having turned out their fair share of motor racing history.

He indeed chose to stay under the radar on TNF. The reasons being fairly basic, but are probably better not discussed.

Like night follows day and the mist & fog around the Blue Mountains descend, the next chapter for Graham begins. My condolences to his wife, Maria and family, plus his many friends. Whether they be personal or simply those that have read and admired his efforts of bringing together the rich tapestry that is Australian motor racing history.

Stephen Dalton

#362 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,718 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:03

This is terrible news to me. We exchanged emails only a few weeks ago. I had no idea he was unwell.

I last saw him in the flesh at the opening of Wakefield Park, back in the days I still lived in Canberra. A lovely bloke.

It was he who suggested I take my rough (very rough) draft of Around the Houses to Max Stahl at RCN, which led to many things including meeting Ray Bell and producing Fast Tracks. To this day I don't know how Graham knew about my Around the Houses project when it was still a pile of typewritten sheets and a cardboard box of loose photos. No doubt I mentioned it to someone I knew (Tom Snooks perhaps) who knew someone who knew Graham, who knew...

Devastated.

#363 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:02

Ron Householder of Portland, Oregon has passed away. From his good friend, Collin Jackson:

"Our long time friend and one of the longest SCCBC members in the club died on Saturday.
Ron was suffering from ALS and died with family on Saturday (February 23, 2013)
Ron raced Formula Atlantic at Westwood in his #6 cars.
- Cars included his Lotus 20/22, Brabham BT29, Brabham BT40, March 77, Ralt RT4 and lastly his
Swift DB4.
Ron lived to race and raced to live. He was a huge figure in my life as I crewed for him for many years. He paid for my college. He encouraged me in my racing and he was always there for me even though he lived in Portland Or.
Ron will be missed.
We will be having a service for Ron in Portland, come if you like but know that Ron never wanted a fuss, he would prefer you raised a glass in his honor, or attended one more race.

God speed Ron
Your loving friend Collin...

A celebration of life will be held March 23, 2013 at the Monarch Hotel in Clackamas, Oregon from 1 PM to 4 PM. Address: 12566 S.E. 93 rd Avenue, 503-652-1515 or 1-800-492-8700 or www.monarchhotel.cc. The Monarch can be reached from I-205 (exit 14), West on Sunnyside Rd, then left on 93 rd at the light, travel about 2 blocks to the hotel on your left. A buffet will be served during the event.
Remembrances can be made to your favorite charity."

More here:

http://www.sccbc.net...um=1361807162/8

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 13 March 2013 - 18:23.

#364 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,251 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:30

What sad news to hear the passing of such a wonderfull man "The Guru" i used to call him is knowledge on motorsport and cars was second to none .First meet at Amaroo Park back in the early 70,s he would wander around and talk after a meeting and i always found him so imformative on the subject of cars and drivers etc.
Then meeting up again when i joined the HSRCA back in the early 80,s he never changed at all.As it turned out he lived near me in Boronia Park for many years and i was sad when he went west of the mountains to Oberon and then back to Blackheath.My family and i caught up and had coffee with him two years ago on our way to Orange . Sadly it was later in the year we meet at Eastern Creek for the last time.
Our common topic was early Ralt cars and we would talk and swaped a few photos an information found in books or on the internet .

Thanks GRAHAM for allowing me to have use of your vast knowledge and meet a real GREAT person like youself....R.I.P.

#365 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 18:52

Ron Householder of Portland, Oregon has passed away.

More here:

http://www.sccbc.net...um=1361807162/8

I see that Ron Householder was born in 1938 in Detroit, Michigan.
Was he a relative to Ronney Householder (who was born in Nebraska but died in Detroit in 1972)?

#366 Nikos Spagnol

Nikos Spagnol

• 1,381 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:53

Wilson Fittipaldi, Sr., father of Emerson and Wilson Jr., has died...

http://forums.autosp...lson Fittipaldi

#367 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:23

I see that Ron Householder was born in 1938 in Detroit, Michigan.
Was he a relative to Ronney Householder (who was born in Nebraska but died in Detroit in 1972)?

From his friend, Collin Jackson:

"They were not related."

Vince H.

#368 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50

Thanks.

#369 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:25

Hello,

I don't kwon, if this "sad new" is already post here , but Ken MADREN is dead in february 2013 :

http://obits.dignity...m...4&FHID=5392

Edited by Haine Kane, 23 March 2013 - 08:25.

#370 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:32

Another search, another find :

Jean-Claude SAUER : 1935- January 2013

http://french.ruvr.r...Sauer-est-mort/

#371 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:23

Fred Gocentas, very successful rally navigator in Australia, died over the weekend...

He had been at a get-together arranged at Will Hagon's in Kew several months ago, Max tells me he had no idea that Fred knew at that time he was ill.

Mostly known for his successes with Greg Carr as driver, Fred was just 72 when he passed away.

#372 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:56

Fred Gocentas, very successful rally navigator in Australia, died over the weekend...

He had been at a get-together arranged at Will Hagon's in Kew several months ago, Max tells me he had no idea that Fred knew at that time he was ill.

Mostly known for his successes with Greg Carr as driver, Fred was just 72 when he passed away.

That is sad.Commiserations to friends and relatives. I did not know him at all but knew of him. He was a very succesfull navigator, he kept a lot of champions going the right way in the 70s and 80s and probably beyond.

#373 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,942 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:45

If anyone hears of arrangements made for Fred....could they please post them here. I have a friend who he navigated for and worked with in the trade....

Stop looking...

http://tributes.canb...021#fbLoggedOut

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 02 April 2013 - 23:05.

#374 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 15:35

Jim Shepherd, patron of the Veteran Speedway Riders Association and speedway historian.

#375 john medley

john medley

• 1,167 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:22

The HSRCA will hold a "Remembering Graham Howard" occasion 12 noon Saturday 18 May 2013 Austrian Club 20 Grattan Crescent French's Forest (Sydney). Food supplied.
Please ring Historic Sports and Racing Car Association Secretary Wes Dayton 02 99884743 to book ( numbers needed for catering)

#376 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:20

Perhaps that should be on the Graham Howard thread, John?

I'll copy the details over to it.

#377 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,094 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:50

Neville Bridges... Monday, October 3 at about 5pm AEST...

He raced tin-tops of various kinds, principally various Holdens, from the sixties through the eighties. He was a hillclimber as well, and extremely well-known car preparer. He became a gypsy in the last couple of decades, drifting from one workshop to another preparing cars for people. Driving the transporters. Visiting his friends.

Three weeks ago he felt weak, one day he couldn't muster the energy or coordination to bolt a wheel on Stan Adler's Porsche, he went to the doctor. That led to hospital and a test that revealed Leukemia - he was told that with treatment he had a 70% chance of survival, but an initial burst of chemo apparently didn't go well with him and he pulled the pin on the treatment, opting for the 100% chance of not lasting out another month.

One of his dreams was to compete at Pikes Peak, he went there with Shane Cowham last year to see what it was like and they were planning together to mount a 2-car Australian visit. Shane will now be doing that on his own... but in Neville's memory as they were always good mates.

A bit of trivia regarding Neville - he was the last driver to score points in the Australian Touring Car Championship in a Torana XU-1, with a 6th place finish at the Lakeside round of the 1977 Championship.

#378 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 13:42

I have just been informed that Ian Peerman, well known Sth Aussie offroad racer died Monday night of cancer.
Well known with his succession of Leyland V8 powered cars, rear engine, front engine buggies, and XD Ford ute and later F150. He also raced at Rallycross in the above mentioned buggys in the late 70s until 1980.
Always quite a character, he was a very nice bloke. A truckie in the real world with the Dairy Bell Icecream delivery contract he later became a Cadilac cruiser in his collection of mid to late 60s cars and very well known in the Adelaide Zippel cruise scene.
While I was unaware of his cancer I knew that he had not been well for about a year.
I am not sure of his age, I guess late 60s would be about right.

#379 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 602 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 00:15

Just received a call from Barry Campbell that Geoff "Olly" Oldroid passed away last night from Cancer.

Olly was a longtime pit crew for Keith Carling, his main position in the crew was painting of Keith's cars & keeping them spic & span.

To Ollys Wife, Family & Friends my knowing Olly all ways bought a smile to my face, RIP my friend.

Advertisement

#380 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 00:32

Two more...

John Giddings, well known entrant and driver in the eighties and nineties, was killed in his Datsun 180B rally car during an event on May 27. David Seldon has put a few lines on the 'Speed's Ultimate Price' thread.

Dave Evans, a part of the Centaur sports car building team, died yesterday in Brisbane. He was, apparently, the man who largely converted Tim Harlock's plans into metal.

#381 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:59

Dud Lambert who was reputedly the worlds oldest midget driver died yesterday. He raced midgets for just over 50 years, and started late, in his 30s. He used to tow down from Pt Pirie to Rowley Pk, a 400k return trip every week for decades. When he retired he moved to Adelaide and continued racing for another 20 years plus! I am unsure of his age, but he was not young!
He was quite a tall man, not the ideal physique to drive midgets, especially when you are elderly.
He was never a star but was a honest low buck competitor who was quite quick on his night, he even won a heat in his last season, though features he just made up the numbers as he tired. Though he was one of the first competitors to run a VW engine in Australia.
About 10 years ago at a classic speedway night there was 3 ex Dud Lambert cars competing, not a bad effort. He never seemed to get rid of his old cars until they were way out of date. I went to his shed one night, a variety of engines, a couple of well patched Autocraft VW engines, a couple of Mitsubishi's, some grey Holden performance bits and the Repco Holden V8 from the ex John Crowhurst HT Monaro that he still owned, somewhere!
In Port Pirie he ran a service station,, and was a masseuse. Slightly different jobs!
I believe he is survived by his wife Daf, though she has been in a home for sometime.

#382 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:04

Time passes not without cost...

Archie White passed away one Tuesday morning (30th July).

If anyone can do a good write-up on him, please start a thread.

He was, as far as I know, a founder member of the AARC, probably in the ASCC before that. Certainly he was President of the AARC into its final days and a keen supporter of all forms of racing.

He did a lot of this with the budget from Shell Oil Company, for whom he was the racing manager right through until the Dick Johnson Shell Ultra days. Earlier on he was aided by Jim Simpson, I'm sure he had a close tie with Bernie Coward.

He was, I'm sure, well into his eighties. As I said, anyone with more info please start a thread about him.

#383 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,751 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:45

Sad news. Archie White was a gentleman.

Over 50 years ago, Archie and Jim Simpson asked me to join Max Stahl in their 'Neptune Racing Team'. They gave me free oil and 100 octane fuel....and 10 quid for a win. Happy Days. :up:

#384 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:13

Dud Lambert who was reputedly the worlds oldest midget driver died yesterday. [...] I am unsure of his age, but he was not young!

I really tried to find a date but failed to do so.
Was "Dud" a nickname? If so, what was his real given name?

EDIT:
After some more googling: Can anyone confirm that he was Dudley Lambert, b. 08 July 1920?

Edited by ReWind, 03 August 2013 - 18:09.

#385 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 22:14

As we were discussing the Des West funeral last night, Max Stahl said, "I just got word through that Frank Kilfoyle has died, too."

Victoria's Rally Champion in '63 and '64, Australian Rally Champion in 1969, he was the man chosen to teach Peter Brock about rallying.back in 1972 prior to the Dulux Rally.

Peter, his ideas already formulated, came home for dinner. There was no training, no teaching in the normal sense. I became the sounding board. He told me his ideas and I told him where I reckoned he was wrong. In the event, I didn't get much to say and we went for a drive.

Then came lesson number one. to get to our selected forest we had to travel along the winding bitumen, didn't we? And it was raining, wasn't it?

Teacher and petrified pupil were reversed. That was the first driving lesson Peter gave me. The second was more formal. It came in the middle of the Dulux Rally itself, just after we crested a rise into a four-mile winding bitumen descent. It went like this, with Peter navigating:

Peter: "Kilf, it's time I taught you to drive bitumen."

Frank: "Yeah - probably."

Peter: "Here's what we do - drive into the corner, when I say 'now' you brake, when I say 'now' again you must accelerate. the steering wheel is all yours."

Frank: "You're crazy!"

Peter: "So?"

Frank: "I'm crazy!"

Peter: "Corner's coming."

We were hitting about 70mph as we came abreast of my braking point. There was a profound silence from the left hand seat. We travelled another 30 yards in what seemed like the next hour before Peter said 'now'.

My right foot flew in panic to the brake and Peter said 'now' again. Back to the loud pedal and, miraculously the little Torana sat down on its haunches and round the corner she flew. We repeated the exercise for the next three corners and it was all mine.

Sure, the incident was a lesson in driving for me, but it was a lesson in Brock as well. Intense and impulsive, quick in evaluation and quick in decision and, with all of this, accurate. Brock is a student of his art and is dedicated in that way that Champions have.

Peter's experience on gravel is limited at this stage. The top rally drivers had a stock-in-trade of road-reading skills that he hasn't had the call to develop. But, if he ever takes seriously to rallying, the Carrs, Furys and Dunkertons will know he's around. It's not in Brock's scheme of things to play second fiddle.

And - oh, yes - we set fastest time down the hill - by about 30 seconds according to the control officials at the bottom!

He started out in his own VWs, went with Ford and then across to Holden, he had a wealth of experience and great results. Born 1933, he had plenty of time to experience life in the fast lane and did so.

A tribute from Bob Watson: http://www.rallyspor...d=7981&Itemid=2

#386 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 14:22

From a death notice in the Hobart Mercury 15/8/13. Former Tasmanian driver William John (Bill) Bashfield, died suddenly in St Petersburg, Russia on 29 July 2013. The death notice gives his birth date as 9 March 1933.

Bill was not around Tasmanian racing for long, but best known for his exploits in 1958-59 in the wonderfully named Bashmobile, an Austin A40 based single seater which he and Jack Barker built from the earlier (1954-55) AJB Special, which had won a race at Longford in 1955. The Bashmobile is reputed to have had a papier mache body, but I have not been able to verify that. Bill was entered for the 1959 Australian Grand Prix at Longford, but retired from his heat on Saturday with a fastest lap around 50 seconds slower than the next slowest car, John Youl in the Wylie Javelin. Whilst it was never written as such at the time, he and Youl were DNQ's for the Grand Prix and did not start it, despite claims by Bill in later years that he did. The reality was he was far too short on racing experience to be in that company, having only a couple of races at Baskerville to his name.

Bill was one of the many bit-part players in our motor racing history. I dont know what he did for a living  I believe he lived in Hobart all his life.

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 31 August 2013 - 03:08.

#387 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 20:22

Yes, Bill told me that Jack Brabham was asked to inspect the car to see if it was fit to start...

A story? It does sound like it. They worked on the brakes, he said, over the lay-day Sunday and then he suffered a lockup on the first lap are retired.

Papier mache was also mentioned. Remember that Frank Kleinig once did this too.

#388 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:12

Ray, seeing as Jack Brabham was not at Longford in 1959, I dont think so! I have a series of 15 wide angle colour transparencies shot from beside the start line on warm up and race start laps, showing every car in the field in at least one shot. Bill Bashfield did not start the AGP.

Anecdotal evidence in Tasmania, which I will never be able to prove, was that he was requested not to start by the organisers.

Rob Saward

Edited by austmcreg, 31 August 2013 - 03:15.

#389 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:30

I really tried to find a date but failed to do so.
Was "Dud" a nickname? If so, what was his real given name?

EDIT:
After some more googling: Can anyone confirm that he was Dudley Lambert, b. 08 July 1920?

I am not sure about the DOB, but would be close. Dudley Lambert yes.
If you Google Dud Lambert there is some info and footage from the late 90s. And quite a few pics of various cars too. SA 34, SA 5 and SA50 were the cars he raced and most are still around on the Classic Speedway scene.

#390 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:11

From a death notice in the Hobart Mercury 15/8/13. Former Tasmanian driver William John (Bill) Bashfield, died suddenly in St Petersburg, Russia on 29 July 2013. The death notice gives his birth date as 9 March 1933.

Rob Saward

Further digging today tells me that Bill was Managing Director of a business called Associated Global Services, basically a specialised tour company and event organiser. He was cricket buff and at the time of his death was escorting an Ashes Cricket Tour party and died in Russia on a side trip with the tour group. He was latterly based in Melbourne and was cremated there.

Rob Saward

#391 RVM

RVM

• 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 00:10

Peg Bishop, wife of John Bishop, passed away on 20 August 2013. Along with John, she was one of the mainstays and driving forces behind IMSA. In addition, along with John, she was one of those responsible, along with Jean and Cameron Argetsinger, for establishing the International Motor Racing Research Center (IMRRC) located in Watkins Glen. She was quite a lady. She will be missed.

#392 Macca

Macca

• 3,336 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 19:23

Sad to see that Wing Cdr. Ken Wallis has died at 97.

http://www.telegraph...eth-Wallis.html

Paul M

#393 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:12

Yesterday we lost 'Lugsy'...

Graeme Adams was born on September 24, 1941 and died on his 72nd birthday.

He was both a driver and a constructor, having raced regularly in a Torana XU-1 and his self-built Adams GA1 F5000. But to most he'll be remembered as one of the blokes who was always there working on top drivers' cars. He worked for many of the top drivers, Frank Matich, Niel
Allen included and he worked with Peter Molloy.

He died in Bundaberg after a long illness.

#394 Wirra

Wirra

• 904 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:09

Graeme Adams assisting Frank Matich.

img115oip.jpg

#395 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:21

How sad. Lugsy was one of the wonderful characters of Australian motor racing and was always there with an infectious grin, a cheeky comment, and an amazing amount of talent from such a 'knock-about" sort of bloke.
Loved a laugh, a drink, a party and a good time, and was always pleased to offer some advice or assistance.
I hadn't seen Lugs for many years yet still have fond memories of our times together.
So sad - too soon.

#396 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,850 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:12

Bruce Rickard, SA midget driver of the 60s and 70s died recently. His funeral was early this week. He was a front runner in the speedcars in the late 60s at Rowley. From memory raced until the late 70s. I suspect he was well into his 70s.

#397 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 21:46

Steve Jewell, Bugatti driver at Snetterton http://www.thisisglo...l#axzz2gVd5DGCa

#398 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:53

Aged ninety, Adrian Schagen left us last Saturday...

Well known in Australian Lotus circles and to AARC people, Adrian was a very keen stalwart of the Lotus marque and one of nature's gentlemen. He was also the father of Marc, who produced his book about Lotus cars in Australia last year. I expect we'll pick up more about Adrian over the coming days, but to Marc and his family I offer my condolences.

#399 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,175 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:24

Informed today that several months ago Alan Caelli passed away.

Alan will be remembered for the Carter Corvette,The Plymouth ramcharger and i think a Chev Impala that Rusty French also ran.

Alan was a good friend and had a great life..racing driver,farmer,race horse owner,lived on various boats, both here and Europe and latter on dealed in Antiques,pawn broker and ran a car hire business.

Always enjoyed a laugh and loved life.

Advertisement

#400 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:31

His Plymouth lives on... and still competes!

The very enthusiastic owner is in WA and maintains its reputation at drag strips. In the meantime, a few years ago I met the bloke who drove it from the wharf to North Manly when it was first imported.