Photo

Mentioned in Passing

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

#401 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:35

Long time California historic racer David Love passed away October 4.  He will be missed.  More here:

http://www.tamsoldra...teHomepage.html

Vince H.

Advertisement

#402 cooper997

cooper997

• 823 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:50

The latest issue of Australian Muscle Car (#70) has a Vale for race mechanic/fabricator, Chris Farrell. He passed away aged 67 on August 16 in Brisbane. From medical complications and a recent, second stroke.

The same issue also has a Vale for Des West.

Stephen

#403 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:59

RIP Peter Hall,long time Datsun historic racer,passed away today after injuries substained at Phillip Island last weekend.

Peter will be well remembered by anyone who raced in South Aust.

RIP.

#404 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:39

Peter Hall OAM. Peter died this afternoon from injuries sustained in a start line accident at Philip Island on the weekend. He hit a stalled Lambo from further back on the grid in his very strong 260Z.
I have known Peter over 20 years as a fellow competitor in Sports Sedans and in more recent times from hillclimbs and Sprints where he was either a competitor or official. Generally clerk of course. Or class winning competitor!
In the last decade or so he competed in classic rallys, raced as a GpS and Marque Sports in the 260Z.
He was self employed as both a Nissan/ Datsun expert building Nissan engines and components for both motorsport and road cars. And as a small engine mechanic from his home at Cudlee Creek.
He was a fierce competitor at all these events, but very safe.
He is survived by wife Marg , herself a long serving official. And sometime competitor.
He will be missed by all that knew him.

#405 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 22:22

Sad.....

http://www.heraldsun...i-1226749927644

#406 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 23:38

Yes Sad...

PS: Peter Halls car may have been 240Z powered, but didn't start out that way....looks more like 1600.

#407 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:17

I think they're 2 different cars Mick,looks like a 240/260 that ploughed into the Lambo.He's unlucky,looks surviveable even at 70+ years old,perhaps it was the heart attack that killed him,its common in road accidents apparently.

Edited by Ian G, 01 November 2013 - 05:57.

#408 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:20

I think there 2 different cars Mick,looks like a 240/260 that ploughed into the Lambo.He's unlucky,looks surviveable even at 70+ years old,perhaps it was the heart attack that killed him,its common in road accidents apparently.

Ian, you are correct, sorry :blush:

#409 2Bob

2Bob

• 405 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:50

*Peter Hall (OAM) for service to motorsport in South Australia:

Peter Hall was the Chairman of the SA/NT State Council of CAMS between 2004 and 2010, he is the President of the Datsun Car Club of SA, the Chairman of the Collingrove Hillclimb and worked in the community through the development of a motorsports program for troubled youth.

*Margaret Hall (OAM) for service to motorsport in South Australia:

Mrs Hall is a well respected motorsport official, having served as the Secretary of the Datsun Car Club of SA for over 20 years and is the race secretary for the Collingrove Hillclimb. She is a senior pitlane official at the Clipsal 500 and has served as an official at the V8 Supercars event at Hidden Valley.

Peter will be sadly missed.  Our sincere condolences to Margaret and family.

Edited by 2Bob, 01 November 2013 - 06:53.

#410 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:27

I think they're 2 different cars Mick,looks like a 240/260 that ploughed into the Lambo.He's unlucky,looks surviveable even at 70+ years old,perhaps it was the heart attack that killed him,its common in road accidents apparently.

Garbage news report. The 1600 Sports sedan had not been raced for 10 years. The car he crashed in was a 260Z shorty that he had campaigned in various guises for 10+ years.
Also I may stand to be corrected but I am fairly sure he was mid 60s too.
Third hand info tells me there was the heart attack and head injuries too. Very unconfirmed however.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 01 November 2013 - 07:30.

#411 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:45

Garbage news report. The 1600 Sports sedan had not been raced for 10 years. The car he crashed in was a 260Z shorty that he had campaigned in various guises for 10+ years.
Also I may stand to be corrected but I am fairly sure he was mid 60s too.
Third hand info tells me there was the heart attack and head injuries too. Very unconfirmed however.

This is probably not the place for this comment, and I apologise if any offence is taken, but what is wrong with the current Start/Finish at PI?  Rear-enders seem to be more common here than just about anywhere else....hope someone is having a good hard look at the problem   :well:

#412 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:15

The problem with standing starts these days is the F1 style grid of two straight lines of cars that goes on for about a km. The cars at the back can travel a long way before they hit the stationary car on the front couple of rows.
Back when the cars were staggered the grid was half the length and you could get a bit of a view of the cars swerving ahead of you around the stalled cars and they were not travelling 100+ kph when they hit.

I saw quite a few of these type of crashes when I was driving the FIV. The revised style of grid was obviously more dangerous...

#413 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 607 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:35

Very, very good rally driver Joginder Singh passed away aged 81 on October 20. He won the East African Safari three times.

I mostly remember him getting a special exemption from wearing a helmet due to his Sikh faith requiring a turban.

Bruce Moxon

#414 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 00:15

Always sad when some one passes away,another Datsun man.

#415 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 13:04

I'm surprised to see that you say Joginder was a "Datsun man".  Of his 22 Safari starts, only two were in Datsuns, the remaining 21 were in 8 other makes.

Edited by D-Type, 05 November 2013 - 18:54.

#416 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:21

I'm surprised to see that you say Joginder was a "Datsun man".  Of his 23 Safari starts, only two were in Datsuns, the remaining 21 were in 8 other makes.

I think the comment was a little more innocent and well meaning than you make out...the subject discussed just before was about Datto's.

Joginder drove to victory in a  Hills Rally about 1972, when he was here with the Mitsubishi Team for the Southern Cross.

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 04 November 2013 - 08:27.

#417 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:55

No big deal & getting away from the theme but he drove many makes of cars but Datsun used him in the UK,Canada & Australia,and probaly elsewhere such as India, in print advertising on & off from the 1970's so he kind of had more involvement with them than Ford & Mitsubishi in that sense of things.  

#418 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 13:55

No big deal & getting away from the theme but he drove many makes of cars but Datsun used him in the UK,Canada & Australia,and probaly elsewhere such as India, in print advertising on & off from the 1970's so he kind of had more involvement with them than Ford & Mitsubishi in that sense of things.  

I agree that this is not the appropriate thread to discuss the issue.  Given the number of different makes of car that Joginder rallied and raced and won in, I still maintain that is misleading to claim him as a "Datsun man", particularly in the light of the way Datsun reneged on their offer of a works drive in the 1970 Southern Cross Rally.  Now, if you were talking of Shektar Mehta you might have a point.

#419 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 14:44

Posted by B Squared on the "USAC, CART and Champ Car history"  thread

Former Indy "500" entrant Kjell Qvale passes at age 94. from Racer:

http://www.racer.com...article/319445/

Edited by D-Type, 05 November 2013 - 14:47.

Advertisement

#420 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,236 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:00

http://www.telegraph...u-obituary.html

#421 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 22:16

I agree that this is not the appropriate thread to discuss the issue.  Given the number of different makes of car that Joginder rallied and raced and won in, I still maintain that is misleading to claim him as a "Datsun man", particularly in the light of the way Datsun reneged on their offer of a works drive in the 1970 Southern Cross Rally.  Now, if you were talking of Shektar Mehta you might have a point.

Oh dear, Rule #1 when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!....at least you said "I agree that this is not the appropriate thread to discuss the issue" :confused:

#422 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 21:31

For those of you who knew Peter Hall his funeral is at Heysen Chapel Centennial Pk at 1.30 Tues the 12th of Novemeber.

#423 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:42

I heard via a third party that the former chief mechanic of Rosebud Racing Team, Jock Ross, died in the past few months. I had been trying on and off to find him for the past five or six years but when at last I did hear of someone who knew him, I found out that he had just died. I can't add much more about his career, maybe someone else can provide a few more details? With a name like that, it sounds as if he may originally have hailed from Scotland?

#424 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:44

From Speedcafe...
Monday 11th November, 2013 5:31pm
Author: Gordon Lomas ©

Terry Little remembered as a champion bloke and a great ideas man

Terry Little left a big impact on the Australian motor racing scene.

He was larger than life, a larrikin and a conduit for many aspiring drivers as they sought guidance on how to crack the big time.

Among those whose careers he helped on a path to fame in the current crop are four-times V8 Supercars champion Jamie Whincup and Adelaide-raised Tim Slade.

At 62, Little died suddenly a few days after being admitted to hospital in Adelaide late last week where he suffered a massive heart attack.

Along with Rachael and Martin Wagg, Little was the co-founder of the Australian GT before resigning as a director three years ago.

Remembered as a thinker with terrific ideas, Little had stints working for Bob Jane at Calder and at Adelaide International Raceway.

Little’s path to being associated with the Wagg’s surfaced after the Nation’s Cup category, which ran under the defunct PROCAR banner, ceased earlier last decade.

“It all began when Martin and I were running Porsche Challenge and Terry had assembled a group of sportscars following the demise of Nation’s Cup. We joined the two groups together and Australian GT was born,” Rachael remembers fondly.

“From there on, Australian GT was one of the fastest growing categories in Australia and without Terry’s vision and passion, GT racing would not be where it is today.”

It was to be a fruitful partnership where Little would often say: “Rach does all the work, I take all the credit and Martin is the handbrake.”

Little had a penchant for making light of serious situations, often ensuring everyone in his presence had fun.

“Despite the shock and sadness we are feeling and will feel for some time, we will always have the fondest memories of Terry as a great mate, a larrikin, and the man who put his heart and soul into GT racing in Australia,” his co-founders said.

“We were a great team, we all had different strengths, but above all we were great mates.

“GT racing in this country and motorsport on the whole is all the better for having Terry Little be a part of it and will now have a hole in it following his passing.”

Good friend and well known Adelaide media identity Mike Drewer had visited Little in hospital on Sunday at a time when he briefly regained consciousness.

“He went out with his boots on. Typical Terry. He was telling me to organise a bloody big wake,” Drewer told Speedcafe.com

Another close mate, veteran Tasmanian racer Greg Crick was at the Australian GT finale at the new Highlands Park circuit at Cromwell in New Zealand at the weekend when he heard Little was seriously ill in hospital.

He had immediately organised to fly to Adelaide today.

“He absolutely loved Greg and had made a point of asking to see him but unfortunately it was too late,” Drewer said.

Little leaves behind wife Carol, children Jake, Taylor and Shannon and his mother Marie.

#425 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:47

Max Williams died at Ballina on June 19 this year...

Max was a regular racer in Queensland with a pretty quick unblown TC and was one of three TC drivers in the 1960 AGP at Lowood. All three of them finished the race, so the three of them were the last TC drivers to contest the AGP in these cars.

Born on August 30, 1934, he went on to race a Gemini FJr in England and he's to be featured in this week's Historic column in Auto Action.

#426 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 21:14

Seventies and eighties speedway SA sedan racer John Crowhurst has died. Big bad John or Crowy as he was often known has been unwell for quite a few years with heart problems that he succumbed too very recently. A very aggressive competitor and multiple state champion in his booming HT and HQ Monaros.
He was also quite well known for doing car preparation and fabrication in those days. And giving guidance to some competitors up until recent times.For us classic speedway competitors he was handy, he made wheels for those cars in period and made them for us too!
He was quite active during the late eighties and to the late 90s as the Speedway Pk/ Speedway City grader driver. Doing most of the track prep. Which to prepare clay tracks is an art form.

John was in his early seventies and survived by wife Margret. He has a brother Barry, well known in Hotrodding circles.

#427 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,370 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 19:05

Incidentally I learned that two months ago Betty Brabham passed away.

The former wife of Sir Jack Brabham and mother of Geoff, Gary & David Brabham died in Brisbane.

Speedcafe

#428 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 98 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:57

This week we are sad to hear of the passing of Noel Windsor.  Noel was the starter for Longford for many years and would have been known by all the drivers of the time that raced on that now famous historical circuit.  Condolences to his wife Jean and thanks to Noel for the years of dedication to Motor Sport in Tasmania.

#429 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 14:14

Thanks to ReWind and Geoff for those important additions to this thread...

Each had their time in the public eye but neither was heralded like those around them. We, of course, know how important they really were.

#430 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,829 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:19

Jon Evans, motoring journo of repute died yesterday. He was involved from the beginning with Oval Express magazine. About the only speedway mag that I will buy these days.
He was given hellos twice by the Seven commentators on Sunday, probably a record!
I met the man once briefly and he seemed a knowlegable and nice bloke.
I am sure others here probably knew him better.
There is a good article/ tribute about him on Speed Café for people to learn more.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 27 November 2013 - 08:21.

#431 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:27

Lars Helmer, long time co-driver to Bjorn Waldegard, died a couple of days ago, I hear. Best known for partnering Waldegard in the Scania Vabis Porsche 911 days and the earlier years of the factory rally team.
Many photos from his personal archive have appeared on here, freely offered, via Thomas L.

#432 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:23

Mike Stacey passed away on Friday night from prostate cancer, almost ten years after an initial diagnosis gave him only months to live. Raced Porsches in the 60s, including part of team that won the 1969 Province 500 7 hour at Westwood in a Porsche 904. Mike was the owner of Targa Motors in North Vancouver and was very active in the Vintage Racing Club of BC in recent years, racing Formula Vees and Formula Fords. Always a keen competitor and great story teller, Mike will be missed.

Vince H.

#433 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 14:56

Fuel injection pioneer Paul Hilborn died on Monday Dec 16th.  There's a better obituary on the Hemmings site

Edited by D-Type, 17 December 2013 - 21:05.

#434 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 16:02

A note from Graeme and Robyn Snape...

Ben Sellers died suddenly while recuperating from a hip operation. Ben was probably best known for racing the Nota Major in Historic events, though he did use a variety of other cars. He was, IIRC, a neighbour of Norm Bice and he was a close friend of Ray Roberts, the three of them were an intrinsic part of Historic racing in NSW during the seventies and eighties.

#435 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:45

I've just heard that Bunbury jeweller Bill Inwood has died.

Bill was one of the every-diminishing band of drivers who raced "around the houses" in Western Australia, and at Caversham, and also competed in trials and rallies. His main mount was a Simca Aronde, and there was quite a lot of excitement when he exchanged the 4-bearing Rush engine for the new 5-bearing Flash engine. He retired in the 1960s, not long before Wanneroo Park opened.

#436 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:46

3-bearing 'Flash' was it not?

And 5-bearing 'Rush'?

#437 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,717 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 14:33

I'm sure you're right. Never owned a Simca myself, so my terminology's a bit shakey (as is my memory).

#438 Ellis French

Ellis French

• 438 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 20:15

Mike McIvor.....

Well known in Tasmanian Humpy racing circles from the 60's, and his Body Works business in Launceston.

Mike passed away 25/12/2013 aged 69 years.

He was the best man at my wedding and a life long friend .

RIP Mick

Ellis French

#439 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,929 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 20:42

Mike McIvor.....

He was the best man at my wedding and a life long friend .

RIP Mick

Ellis French

It's always tough and sad when you lose someone close Ellis...please accept my sympathy Cheers, Mick

Advertisement

#440 seldo

seldo

• 1,622 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:33

I've just heard that Ivan Stibbard has passed away. Ivan was the General Manager of the ARDC for many years and was one of the back-bones of the Hardie 1000 at Bathurst

#441 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 23:01

Hi All;

Just received a meesage that Ivan Stibbard passed on Monday.

Also Ray Price who was well known to all of us as Amaroo Park manager also passed away yesterday.

My Condlences to all concerned.

Roger.

#442 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 23:04

Very sad news.

http://www.speedcafe...-ivan-stibbard/

Edited by Ian G, 27 January 2014 - 10:34.

#443 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:29

While Ivan's death was noted early last week, Ray's passing hasn't been noted here other than in this thread...

It's ironic that Ray outlasted Ivan, I'm sure he was a lot older (nearing 90?) and had been around the ARDC for twenty or more years longer. He was the 'Mr Nice Guy' of the ARDC in the Jack Hinxman days, the man who also really cared about the history they had in their records and a pleasure to talk to at any time.

#444 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 439 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 14:15

Could we have more precise topic titles please?

#445 Stinky

Stinky

• 103 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 00:12

Hullo All;

My humble apologies for not being more specific.

Totally forgot that there are people on the site that are not Aussie residents.

Will be more careful next  time.

Cheers.

Roger.

#446 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:14

As I posted, the death of Ivan had previously been noted (by seldo) on the 'Mentioned in Passing' thread...

Keeping these notes in the one thread helps us find things later on. Perhaps Twinny can merge this into that thread?

#447 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,599 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:41

Long time SCCA and IMSA official and race promoter Charlie Earwood has left us.

http://www.racer.com...article/331361/

#448 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:58

You are seven years too late!

#449 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 17:03

You are seven years too late!

To be fair to Gabrci, he posted the comment on the thread titled something like "Sad news" which has since been merged into this one.

#450 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 22:53

...and there's nothing wrong with the title of this thread anyway.

It's for the inclusion of mention of the passing of ones who might not have their own 'passing' thread.