Photo

Anyone remember Harry Heathcote ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Armer

Simon Armer

• 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 16:48

I'm trying to find out more about a chap called Harry Heathcote who owned quite an extensive collection of racing cars in the UK in the late 1970's / early 1980's. Several of them came from the Far East and were ex-Macau/Singapore GP cars. One of them (a Cooper T59 or Mk3a) I now own so I'm trying to find out more about Harry, his collection and where the car's came from.

Anybody remember Harry or anything about him ? I know John Harper bought several cars from him back in the early 1980's and that Ted Walker (of Feret Fotogrpahic fame) also visited his collection about the same time.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 17:03

No.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 18:22

The name rings a bell, but that's about all
The only T59 I know of from east Asia was the famous John Macdonald (Hong Kong) car

#4 PhilG

PhilG

• 483 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 22:41

The name rings a bell with me , i think was based in the Nuneaton area, and as well as having a collection of old racing cars, i think he had a few small capacity road race bikes as well.

I'll be able to find out more but not till my old man gets back off his jollies in france.

I think you'll find out a lot more before he gets back though.

#5 Simon Armer

Simon Armer

• 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:39

Dave/Phil - thanks for the replies.

Dave - I think my car may well be the John Macdonald car. As brought back from Singapore by Harry Heathcote it had a 1500cc pushrod engine and an ERSA gearbox and you're right that the Macdonald car is the only Cooper T59 (or Mk3a) that appears to have raced out in the Far East.

Phil - would be very grateful for any more info you can turn-up on Harry. This is the first time I've tried the 'Nostalgia Forum' so I'm fascinated to see what responses it generates. I was half expecting a zero repsonse but 3rd reply and somebody knows him - amazing !

Cheers

Simon.

#6 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 81 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:42

There was a M(ike). E. Heathcote who was racing a Brabham in Singapore and Malaysia in the late 1960's.

#7 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 81 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:50

Hi Simon,

I emailed you recently about your Cooper but received no reply. During some research I have discovered that a B(rian). D. Clinton raced a "recently acquired" Cooper at the Tunku Abdul Raman races held at Batu Tiga, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 2 September, 1967 where he finished 4th. He also competed the following weekend , 9 September, at the Johore Grand Prix where he finished "far down the field" as a result of an oil leak. I believe that this car was the ex-Macdonald Cooper as I know that Macdonald sold the Cooper in order to pay for a Lotus 30/40 that he bought in July 1967. Brian Clinton lived in Hong Kong and was a member of the Motor Sports Club of Hong Kong so would have known John Macdonald. It seems too much of a coincidence that when Macdonald sold a Cooper and Clinton bought a Cooper that they were not one and the same car! There were very few Coopers in Hong Kong! I have been unable to find any mention of Clinton in other races in SEA but found out that he had left Hong Kong some time before the end of 1968. He may have returned to the UK and taken the car with him (my guess). If I discover anything more I will let you know.

This may be an additional lead for you to follow up.

Good luck.

Angus