Photo

World LSR attempt in a steam-powered car

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RTH

RTH

• 5,704 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:05

The present record stands at 127.659 MPH and has stood since 1906 and is held by a Mr Fred Marriott in a Stanley Steamer. The new project in co-operation with Southampton University is looking to push the record beyond 200 MPH .

Building of a world Land Speed record attempt car powered by steam is underway and the aluminium bodywork for the car is under construction by bodybuilding company VintageCars.com in Hampshire. www.vintagecars.com A relatively new company started by 4 ex- Rod Jolley men and one from Keith Roach manufacturing.

The whole project has its own website with all the details here

http://www.steamcar.co.uk/

You can take a 10 min video tour here of vintage cars 7000sq ft workshops full of other interesting projects as well

Fred Marriott and the Stanley Steamer of 1906

http://www.steamcar....lenge/index.htm

Initially the car will run at Bruntingthorpe then they will move on to Bonneville salt flats

In 1985 Bob Barber of the USA ran a steam car at Bonneville at 145MPH but the car failed and they did not do enough to comply with FIA rules and the 1906 record still stands.

This current project actually started in 1999 but the car is now under construction. With an impressive list of British industrial technical partners.

http://www.vintageca...n/examples.html
Click on picture 19 for part construction photos

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 10,816 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:28

http://forums.autosp...highlight=steam

So they're finally getting their act together?

#3 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,208 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 18:44

Latest news http://news.bbc.co.u...and/8208119.stm (for UK only?)

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:47

Don Wales (Grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell) has been doing a lot of the build up/test driving, and has sent back pictures on a daily basis. Staggeringly, for a Campbell, he's been driving a green car (and not just in the ecological sense!). The test runs have been in excess of the record set by Marriot in the "Wogglebug", but of course, as soon as you set up the official timers, and make a record run, things become very different!

#5 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 15:02

Don Wales (Grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell) has been doing a lot of the build up/test driving, and has sent back pictures on a daily basis. Staggeringly, for a Campbell, he's been driving a green car (and not just in the ecological sense!). The test runs have been in excess of the record set by Marriot in the "Wogglebug", but of course, as soon as you set up the official timers, and make a record run, things become very different!

Hi Steve, :wave:

I wish them all the best. I saw the Stanley "Rocket" re-creation in the old Ormond Beach museum (in company with Bill France!). Shame in a way that another record (103 years old) is about to disppear. But it will be a great result for the Hamshire team.

Meanwhile, from another era, here's one of the truly great steam ancestors. It's the Bolle Steam carriage "La Mancelle" at the Le Mans Museum (taken just after the race this year). Actually, I am just testing my abilities to attach images to the Forum! :)

Hope it works.

Posted Image

Edited by Pullman99, 19 August 2009 - 15:02.

#6 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 19:17

Hi Steve, :wave:

I wish them all the best. I saw the Stanley "Rocket" re-creation in the old Ormond Beach museum (in company with Bill France!). Shame in a way that another record (103 years old) is about to disppear. But it will be a great result for the Hamshire team.

Meanwhile, from another era, here's one of the truly great steam ancestors. It's the Bolle Steam carriage "La Mancelle" at the Le Mans Museum (taken just after the race this year). Actually, I am just testing my abilities to attach images to the Forum! :)

Hope it works.

Posted Image

I'd put money on not getting 124 mph out of that though!!!

I suppose records are there to be broken, targets for others to aim at, but as it as stood for so long. Having said that if you said the record for
a reciprocating steam engine, it wont be broken!!!

#7 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,208 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 18:52

I just heard on the radio that they have beaten the record by a few miles per hour.

There are some pictures of the remarkable 1906 record setter here - "The world's fastest canoe" http://www.steamcar....ley/fastest.pdf

#8 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 19:36

[quote name='Geoff E' date='Aug 25 2009, 19:52' post='3814617']
I just heard on the radio that they have beaten the record by a few miles per hour.

May I, as a former member of the Thrust 2 team, offer huge congratulations to the Inspiration team! :clap:

I know from the inside just how much effort goes into achieving anything in record breaking, not least in making others believe that your goals are actually possible. No doubt Fred Marriott is looking on somewhere and thinking "about time too...!" Now, wouldn't it be nice for Inspiration to be exhibited alongside the Stanley Reproduction (currently at Daytona USA) at the National Motor Museum. A 103 year gap in setting records is, well....a record! :)

#9 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,208 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 19:42

Here's the story - a bit faster than I thought - almost 140mph http://www.steamcar.co.uk/

#10 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 19:48

Absolutely. Well done, brilliant. Do we know if the car can be made to run even faster?

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,902 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 20:50

Absolutely. Well done, brilliant. Do we know if the car can be made to run even faster?

I hope so. As their website says

The team acknowledges the achievements of the "Barber-Nichols Team". Their vehicle 'Steaming' Demon' is currently the fastest steam car in the world. On 18th August 1985 The Barber-Nichols Team carried out three successful passes and achieved an American National Record at 145.607mph. There was no attempt to establish an FIA record. However, the British Steam Car Challenge recognize this speed as the record to exceed

Not to belittle what they have achieved, to leave their record where it is would leave the job only half-done.

#12 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,875 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 21:01

A 103 year gap in setting records is, well....a record! :)

Yeeeeesss...surely though after that much of a gap the record should have been beaten by a bit more? The intervening 103 years of technology have improved things by a Badoer?

Edited by ensign14, 25 August 2009 - 21:01.

#13 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 13:58

Yeeeeesss...surely though after that much of a gap the record should have been beaten by a bit more? The intervening 103 years of technology have improved things by a Badoer?

I agree it does seem to be a fairly minor increase but the team would have to assess whether or not the conditions are likely to remain favourable at Edwards for another attempt this year as well as the capability and readiness of Inspiration itself. They could also wait a while and go again next year. There is a precedent of marginal increases in the LSR. Donald Campbell in 1964 in Bluebird CN7 (403.1 mph) was only a relatively small increase over John Cobb's record of 394.2 mph with the Railton Mobil Special in 1947 and Cobb had also gone over 400 mph on one run. Bluebird's record was then beaten in 1965 by Bob Summers in Goldenrod at 409.28 mph. The record only needs to be a 1% increase over the previous one.

Perhaps we're used to things progressing nowadays in leaps and bounds. The biggest increase in LSR history was of course between the records of Thrust 2 and Thust SSC.

As an aside, is a "Badoer" likely to catch on as an official measurement of perceived marginal increments? :)

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,902 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 14:45

But if they can find the extra 6 or 7 mph they will be the undisputed fastest steamer.

#15 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,208 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 14:53

But if they can find the extra 6 or 7 mph they will be the undisputed fastest steamer.

But Marriott said of his 1907 attempt (when he crashed) -

Two professors from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
that I knew had set up some kind of a timing rig at the half-mile mark and
told me later I was travelling just a hair under 190 m.p.h.

#16 carlt

carlt

• 1,031 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 15:07

There are some pictures of the remarkable 1906 record setter here - "The world's fastest canoe" http://www.steamcar....ley/fastest.pdf

That is class ! :cool:

Now where did dad leave that old canoe of his ?

#17 alpinemauve

alpinemauve

• 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:01

As Steam Car fanatics we've just finished a John O Groats to Lands End Charity run in our replica Lykamobile car.
We averaged 10mph (so apologies for all those drivers behind us) so we raise our hats to the incredible speed the LSR car is getting

Heres a pic of our car
Steam Powered Car

#18 alpinemauve

alpinemauve

• 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 20:03

and a few at Newcastle Station
Newcastle Station Steam Car

#19 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:00

Just had an e mail from Don (Wales) and he has just done two timed runs at an average of 148mph, so they are still working on increasing the record!!

Advertisement

#20 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 65 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:49

Does anyone know who supplied the steam turbine to the recent car? On their home-page I can only find that it is two-stage unit with 40 bar / 400 degC

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:53

Does anyone know who supplied the steam turbine to the recent car? On their home-page I can only find that it is two-stage unit with 40 bar / 400 degC

I thought the team designed and built it?

#22 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 65 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 14:24

I thought the team designed and built it?

Designing and building a 13000 rpm steam turbine could be challenging, at least if you expect it to hold together and have a decent efficiency... :smoking:

#23 davegess

davegess

• 41 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 14:33

Excellant, good work. These things are never easy.

dave

#24 leestohr

leestohr

• 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:22

Regarding the new land speed record, it certainly takes a great effort to achieve a new FIA record, all credit to the British Steam Car Challenge team!

I spent some time searching the FIA web site for the current steam record, and I can't find anything. Unless I missed it (which is possible), there could have been no actual record to beat. I'm just speaking of internationally recognized, FIA records.
Of course the Stanley record is well know by all historians, but I am not sure it was ever recognized internationally. I'm not sure any of the records set at Ormond/Daytona Beach in the pre-1920's were internationally approved. The problem had to do with arguements regarding who sanctioned racing in the USA at the time. The AAA put on most races, but the ACA was the Internationally recognized American representative.
Also, any modern record requires a 2 way run. I don't think the Stanley's or anyone else worried about that in those days.

The 'American' 2-way record set by Barber-Nichols was 145.607mph over the mile, August 19, 1985. Not FIA certified, but that would be the unofficial world mark to shoot for.
It appears the new British record for the kilometer is 148.308mph; the mile is 139.843mph, which will be an FIA record, but maybe not an American record?

Still, the British Steam Car Challenge team have done a fantastic job and they have the records that count.