Photo

British GP in 1978 ? Lauda and Reutemann vs. Giacomelli

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 19:20

How do you see today almost 30 years later the situation when Lauda and Reutemann try to lap Giacomelli in his McLaren at Brands Hatch in 1978. Giacomelli was almost one lap behind and Niki was in the lead. Carlos was 2nd and very close behind Niki Lauda. Bruno try to let Niki passing by at Stirling’s Bend but Niki didn’t take his chance. At the following corner (Clearways) Carlos took both Niki and Bruno.

How do you see this? In my point of view Niki would be overtaken by Carlos anyway.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 21:13

Wait till at the near end of the video clip to see the incident:

YouTube video link

#3 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:16

That's the first decent footage I've seen from that race. It looked like Lauda did hesitate slightly, and Lole just took his opportunity.

#4 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:12

I have seen a better angle somewhere, I will keep looking and hopefully it will help this thread. :)

#5 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:23

Thanks for looking

#6 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:38

I believe it was CBS that televised that race. My memory of it is that Reutemann made an incredible pass because the gap was there from, seemingly, nowhere and on a section of the circuit that I don't think was a "normal" passing area. Giacomelli was holding Lauda up which enabled reutemann to be in the right place at the right time and he made the most of it. I think Reutemann was quoted as saying that was his most satisfying win. 'Course if Peterson, who had scorched the circuit to win pole follwed by Andretti, hadn't crapped out the reutemann/lauda fight would've been for third but that's racing - and an audacious maneuver by Reutemann. Reutemann, who won four GPs that year to really take it to the Lotus onslaught and then gets sacked in favor of Scheckter. Infact, I think it was Scheckter who told Reutemann he was joining him in '79 but it turned out that Reutemann was shown the door. Too bad, I say, because it might've been Reutemann/Scheckter or Reutemann/Villeneuve in '79 which would have given Reutemann another excellent opportunity for the championship. A dog year in '80 and then replaces Regga at Williams (who would've been retained had Reutemann not been signed) for the '81 season as a world champion (equal #1?). For those who regard Reutemann as not being aggressive enough, when the opportunity presented itself...

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 17:02

Although I only attended Brands for the practice days, I recall it was an odd race.

Numerous drivers 'might' have won, but for problems. One being Alan Jones who, IIRC, was running really well in the first Patrick Head Williams.

As to the details surrounding The Pass, Bruno just had nowhere to go, so that's where he went - nowhere, Lauda guessed wrong and Lole was away. I suspect the Ferrari would have passed Niki anyway, but that's just conjecture.

#8 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:48

Originally posted by COUGAR508
That's the first decent footage I've seen from that race. It looked like Lauda did hesitate slightly, and Lole just took his opportunity.

Agree.
Seems to me Niki Lauda tried to overtake Jack O'Malley ( ;) ) in the wrong way (the left side) and Lole Reutemann passed him in the correct way (the right side, in a right bend).

#9 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 17:45

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Although I only attended Brands for the practice days, I recall it was an odd race.

Numerous drivers 'might' have won, but for problems. One being Alan Jones who, IIRC, was running really well in the first Patrick Head Williams.

As to the details surrounding The Pass, Bruno just had nowhere to go, so that's where he went - nowhere, Lauda guessed wrong and Lole was away. I suspect the Ferrari would have passed Niki anyway, but that's just conjecture.

Barry is quite correct with regards to the number of drivers who could have won the race.

For that reason I can remember the race being hugely entertaining. Everybody expected Peterson and Andretti to drive off into the distance, however when they both retired the whole race took on a new perspective.

With regards to the Giacomelli incident, I may be wrong but wasn't there a picture taken from the inside of Clearways clearly showing him waving Lauda through?

Looking at the video of the race don't the cars look fantastic getting out of shape at the bottom of Paddock Bend?

#10 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 19:54

It looks like Niki miss his chance... ;)

#11 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:44

Originally posted by bigears
I have seen a better angle somewhere, I will keep looking and hopefully it will help this thread. :)

And?

#12 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 16:40

From the Main Grandstand it looked like Lauda would easily slip past Bruno but he seemed to want to go round the outside. When Giacomelli started to move over to his left Reutemann, who had been closing in rapidly on Lauda, dived through on the inside and took them both in a masterly manouvre. Carlos did have the advantage of being a little further back from Giacomelli so could delay his decision on which side to pass. However Lauda would definately have been passed sooner rather than later as Reutemann was having one of his "on-days".

:cool:

#13 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 16:43

Originally posted by Stephen W
However Lauda would definately have been passed sooner rather than later as Reutemann was having one of his "on-days".

I think so too!

#14 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 20:28

Originally posted by Stephen W
However Lauda would definately have been passed sooner rather than later as Reutemann was having one of his "on-days".

Lole's "on-days" did not come that often, but when they did he was simply unstoppable. I thinking of Austria and Watkins Glen in '74, where he just drove off into the distance.

As regards '78, it is often overlooked that Carlos won four races that year. It has sometimes been said that it was one of his happiest years in F1, with Lauda gone and the non-political Villeneuve as team-mate. And the '78 Ferrari was an absolutely beautiful car.

#15 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 21:04

Oddly I find that I remember little or nothing about this race even though I attended, and sat at the fence at Paddock, it was probably my utter frustration and dissapointment after Ronnie, and then Mario retired....my team out before half distance.......Sadly, I do recall that Gunnar Nillson attended and I believe it was possibly one of his last public appearances before he tragically succumbed to cancer. As Barry said, a strange race, not one of the better GP's that I have attended at Brands, but that Lotus was just beautiful.

#16 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:16

Originally posted by COUGAR508

Lole's "on-days" did not come that often, but when they did he was simply unstoppable. I thinking of Austria and Watkins Glen in '74, where he just drove off into the distance.

As regards '78, it is often overlooked that Carlos won four races that year. It has sometimes been said that it was one of his happiest years in F1, with Lauda gone and the non-political Villeneuve as team-mate. And the '78 Ferrari was an absolutely beautiful car.

Or Monaco 1980

http://www.youtube.c...ciI#GU5U2spHI_4

http://www.youtube.c...RZQ#GU5U2spHI_4

#17 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:32

Originally posted by bigears

I have found this

#18 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 16:04

Ah my apologies for forgetting this thread *slaps head*

Thank you Stefan for pointing out the angle I am exactly looking for.

#19 fw07c

fw07c

• 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:29

I was there at Clearways when Carlos Reutemann overtook Bruno Giacomelli and Niki Lauda. Carlos started 8th on the grid and made up one place from the start by passsing Jacque Lafitte and then held station. Up front Mario Andretti was leading from Ronnie Peterson, Jody Scheckter, Alan Jones, Niki Lauda, Riccardo Patrese and Carlos Reuteman. First Ronnie Peterson retired with a broken fuel line then Mario Andretti pits for a punture then sets fastest lap so far in the race, then retires with a blown engine.Next Alan Jone stops with a broken drivehaft so the postion are Scheckter first, Lauda second, Patres third and Carlos fourth with 46 laps to the finish. Patrese picks up a punture leaving Carlos second, 5 secs behind Lauda in the lead. Then Carlos cuts the gap to Lauda down to 4.0, 3.7, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4, 2,4, 2.1 secs in successive laps. Later on Lauda approaches a slow Bruno, in his third race, Lauda moves first moves to the right then left Carlos dives down the right of Giacomelli with two wheels on the grass. Lauda gives chase to Reutemann and sets the fastest lap of the race.

There is a magnificent painting by Michael Turner depitting the move.

The race had seven world champions or future champions namely Emerson Fittipaldi, Niki Lauda, James Hunt, Mario Andretti, Jody Scheckter, Alan Jones and Keke Rosberg as well as Ronnie Peterson and Gilles Villeneuve. This was only bettered by the next race German Grand Prix with Nelson Piquet joining in.

Advertisement

#20 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:20

Attached the Tribute to Bruno Giacomelli which was made (cutted and add some music) by myself last night.

#21 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 13:12

Anyone know what Lauda's view was on this after the race?

#22 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 13:34

This is what Nigel Roebuck wrote in his Autosport report:

Niki Lauda was furious about the Giacomelli incident afterwards, but one can only wonder why, when he was capable of the speed he showed in the last six laps, he had allowed Reutemann to get close enough to take advantage of it.

#23 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 15:27

Barry is quite correct with regards to the number of drivers who could have won the race.

For that reason I can remember the race being hugely entertaining. Everybody expected Peterson and Andretti to drive off into the distance, however when they both retired the whole race took on a new perspective.

In fact Peterson & Andretti did "drive off into the distance" but the Lotus 79 proved fragile and both retired.

If Lauda had anyone to be angry at it would have been himself for making such a rudimentary mistake in letting El Lole close in as he did.

:wave: