Photo

Personal photos from museums

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#451 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:25

On the 'visitor friendliness' of the Schlumpf collection, they do indeed have proper printed guides in several languages now, have done for several years in fact. What they also have are devices like clumsy mobile phones, available again in a number of languages, each exhibit has a number, you key this number into your 'phone', and it gives you an interesting commentary about the car, most of you will probably have experienced these devices. My wife is not a car person by any stretch of the imagination, we'd passed close to Mulhouse a couple of times on previous trips, and it surprised me a little about 10 years ago when she suggested a slight detour on our route to the Alps, so we could spend a day there. Once installed, she was so enthralled by the interesting commentaries, about people and places as well as the cars, that after we'd spent about six hours there (including lunch in their quite good self-service restaurant), it was me who had to persuade her that it was time we thought about moving on, and we've been back since then for another multi-hour visit. Most of Barry's pics are better lit than the ones I've taken, probably my fault for going there on a rather dull day, I'll try to pick something sunnier next time, and I still haven't seen their model car collection, maybe this year...

Advertisement

#452 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,771 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:08

If you are talking about the only model car section I saw, it is a ramshackle collection of various pedal and miniature cars that are arranged in a rather strange way. Some of them very weird indeed.

This is one of the numerous pedal cars:

Posted Image

#453 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:13

If you are talking about the only model car section I saw, it is a ramshackle collection of various pedal and miniature cars that are arranged in a rather strange way. Some of them very weird indeed.

I wouldn't know about that Barry, I was only going on what it says in my 5 year old brochure, where they claim to have over 7000 models of all sizes and types in their display.

#454 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 380 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 15:58

I'm staying in Mougins for a few days, but have sadly discovered that the Musee de L'Automobile is no more.
There is instead an Eco-park, which my 10-year-old grandson assures me is no fun, so I won't be going there, either.

#455 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 119 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:27

I'm staying in Mougins for a few days, but have sadly discovered that the Musee de L'Automobile is no more.
There is instead an Eco-park, which my 10-year-old grandson assures me is no fun, so I won't be going there, either.

Don't want to self-promote too much, but you may wish to check my list at http://automuseums.info
If you are up to driving about an hour, there are two automobile museums, relatively nearby

#456 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 13:25

Jack Brabham's 1961 Cooper-Climax
Posted Image

Philippe, is this your car? Can't really tell from the photo, but I suspect that it may be a T-53 and not the T-54. Am I right or merely paranoid because of the Musuem's false identification of other cars in its collection (see below).

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 03 May 2011 - 13:30.

#457 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 13:29

Jim Clark's 1963 Lotus Type 29
Posted Image

This, of course, is not Clark's Lotus 29. The IMS Museum for many years has had the Gurney car on display, repainted as the Clark car. This is chassis 29/1, which Gurney drove to seventh place. Clark's race car, 29/3, was later destroyed and does not exist. Frankly, I am surprised that a respected museum resorts to such chicanery.

#458 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 17:06

I believe the museum car is the T53 the works took to Indianapolis as a spare. Then sold to Hap Sharp, but AFAIK in the museum for many years

#459 piperp2

piperp2

• 65 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 18:11

Does anyone have any photos of the now disbanded Banham Motor Museum in Norfolk, especially the Alfa Romeo T33 Stradale?

Advertisement

#460 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 119 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:32

Does anyone have any photos of the now disbanded Banham Motor Museum in Norfolk, especially the Alfa Romeo T33 Stradale?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

#461 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:54

Holker Hall Cumbria 2004

This museum was once located in the grounds of Syon Park in London. It has a lot of Campbell stuff, including Malcolm's Bentley 3 1/2, painted bluebird blue, and replicas of a prewar Bluebird car and the 60s record breaking jet boat, both used in TV/Fim shows.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Terry Walker, 04 May 2011 - 03:55.

#462 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,840 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:31

I went to the immense and impressive museum at Barber Motorsports Park, near Birmingham, Alabama, last year. It's very much a motorcycle-dominated museum, but they have a terrific collection of Lotus F1 cars as well a few Ferraris and other cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Full gallery here

#463 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 380 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 15:22

Don't want to self-promote too much, but you may wish to check my list at http://automuseums.info
If you are up to driving about an hour, there are two automobile museums, relatively nearby

Many thanks. I'm back home now, but there's always a next time.

#464 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 17:42

...and the 60s record breaking jet boat...

Posted Image

:rotfl:

#465 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,419 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 18:03

Holker Hall Cumbria 2004

This museum was once located in the grounds of Syon Park in London. It has a lot of Campbell stuff, including Malcolm's Bentley 3 1/2, painted bluebird blue, and replicas of a prewar Bluebird car and the 60s record breaking jet boat, both used in TV/Fim shows.

The "Lakeland Motor Museum" now has it's own dedicated premises (unlike Holker Hall previously), with newly acquired pieces such as the oldest existing TVR (1949) and a complete 1920s garage construction.

Currently exhibiting a TT special theme. Nice.

http://www.lakelandmotormuseum.co.uk/

#466 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 19:06

I have been a fairly frequent visitor to Holker Hall since Don Sidebottom first opened his Lakeland Motor Museum there and have been delighted to find much of the original character of the collection has been retained in the new premises (opened in 2010) at Backbarrow which is on the A590 between Newby Bridge and Greenodd. The interest in Campbell memorabilia, and of course the replica of Sir Malcolm's 1935 car and Donald's K7, as well as the K4 replica built for the Goodwood FOS a few years ago, is very much to the fore in this part of Cumbria.

On the Syon Park connection, I,m not sure if any of the exhibits that latterly formed the Holker Hall / Backbarrow Lakeland Motor Museum collection were displayed there or not. The British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, prior to their move to Gaydon, had taken over the former London Transport Museum space at Syon Park having moved there from their first "collective" home at Donington. Prior to that, there was a small, general motor museum which was - I think - organised or promoted by the transport bookshop Chater & Scott. I do know that some of the exhibits had come from other museums including The Science Museum. Does anyone recall this? It would have been there for a few years around the mid-1970s.

Edited by Pullman99, 19 May 2011 - 09:44.

#467 PSB

PSB

• 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 15:41

I went to the immense and impressive museum at Barber Motorsports Park, near Birmingham, Alabama, last year. It's very much a motorcycle-dominated museum, but they have a terrific collection of Lotus F1 cars as well a few Ferraris and other cars.

Posted Image

What a beautiful livery!

Edited by PSB, 06 May 2011 - 15:42.

#468 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:56

Posted Image

Posted Image

Popped into the Haynes Museum just out side Sparkford in Somerset recently came across this fabulous special, i wonder if anyone here knows anything about it beyond what is on the blurb ?

Particularly who built the special and when ?

I gather Overland/Manchester was the UK's Willy's truck manufacturing outfit.

#469 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:04

Lakeland Motor Museum: Driving up that way 26 May en route to Ireleth and, ultimately, west coast of Scotland. Nice to see it's no longer a wandering museum. Often stop at the Swan at Newby Bridge for a pint.

#470 indybail

indybail

• 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 13:26

In Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, there are a couple of Lola Indy cars:

Al Unser Sr's T500 from 1978:
Posted Image

Wally Dallenbach's T270 from 1972:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The MSI also has Craig Breedlove's original Spirit of America LSR car, but it's nearly impossible to shoot a good photo owing to the sheer size of the thing.

1972 was my first Indianapolis 500. My favorite driver was Art Pollard and Wally had replaced Art after being injured a practice crash. I cheered him all day long. Unfortunately, the team was slowed by a series of pit fires but he soldiered on to finish 14th. I had no idea of what happened to to the car. Thanks for the memories.

#471 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,025 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 16:35

Posted Image

Posted Image

Popped into the Haynes Museum just out side Sparkford in Somerset recently came across this fabulous special, i wonder if anyone here knows anything about it beyond what is on the blurb ?

Particularly who built the special and when ?

I'll give it a go. I hope the tank holds enough fuel to reach topspeed. AUTOBAHN!

#472 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 18:45

Who was UK Willy?

#473 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 20:03

Who was UK Willy?

:blush:

#474 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:04

In Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, there are a couple of Lola Indy cars:

Al Unser Sr's T500 from 1978:
Posted Image

Wally Dallenbach's T270 from 1972:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The MSI also has Craig Breedlove's original Spirit of America LSR car, but it's nearly impossible to shoot a good photo owing to the sheer size of the thing.

Interesting that this earlier post should have cropped up again a few days ago. The display of the Indycars must be one of the more bizarre examples of museum exhibition in recent times. Why the glass cases? I was there in late 1983 and it obviously hasn't changed a bit.

I concur with the comments on Spirit of America. I think that it has been moved into a more general exhibit area as, when I saw it, it was displayed as a unique exhibit but with inadequate lighting which made photography a bit of a challenge.

Mind you, they've got some truly great machines there including one of the streamlined diesel Pioneer Zephyr trains!

Pioneer Zephyr at Chicago

Edited by Pullman99, 08 May 2011 - 07:45.

#475 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:12

Lakeland Motor Museum: Driving up that way 26 May en route to Ireleth and, ultimately, west coast of Scotland. Nice to see it's no longer a wandering museum. Often stop at the Swan at Newby Bridge for a pint.

Hi Terry!

If you're heading up to Coniston as well, don't forget the newly extended Ruskin Museum in Coniston and the recently refurbished (following the 2009 floods) and extended Bluebird Cafe by the lake. Much Campbell memorabilia and the Ruskin's newly built extension is awaiting the return of K7, possibly next year. A pint of Bluebird bitter in The Black Bull is always worthwhile too!

#476 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,419 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 22:19

:up:

Bluebird is always a good pint. The museum has a proper cafe as well now.
And if you like engineering / trains, the Haverthwaite steam station / shed is worth popping into too.

#477 Macca

Macca

• 3,298 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 15:55

Not one of mine but interesting:

http://www.flickr.co...olm/5163546239/

Paul M

#478 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 119 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 18:20

If anyone travels to France and would like to know abou tlocal motoring museums, I'd like to recommend our first e-book on this subject:
Motoring Museum in France. See it at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AK0OFQ

#479 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:37

Do you have any full shots of the wind tunnel model (?) in the front right? My brother is a wood pattern marker & has skills similar to these talented craftsmen. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apologies I only had my mobile with me at the time Brian :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#480 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:09

With this thread being renewed, and knowing of many TNFers’ interest in things aeronautic, it reminds me to post these shots of a WW2 French flight simulator, on display at the auto museum at Sanxet, near Bergerac, which I have mentioned before for its varied collection including the Casimir Ragot Special.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Click on the image for a larger version.
Photos copyright Roger Lund
Roger Lund

#481 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,120 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:14

Apologies I only had my mobile with me at the time

No apologies required, thanks for taking the time to shoot & post. :up:

#482 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 13:19

Your welcome Brian :wave:

#483 Secretariat

Secretariat

• 111 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 14:02

I have few other photos but thought that I would post these (not sure how to post pics here yet with correct viewable dimensions) that I took on a visit to the Larz Anderson Auto Museum. Pictures include Ferrari F2002, 1965 Bizzarrini P538, 1930 Cord L-29, and 1901 Winton Bullet "Buckeye".

I will post a few more later.

EDIT: Added 1953 Chevy Corvette, 1907 American Underslung, and 1905 Electromobile.

Edited by Secretariat, 27 July 2011 - 16:09.

#484 RobertC

RobertC

• 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 21:51

Back in 2009 I managed to visit the Porsche and Mercedes Museums in Stuttgart and then the BMW Museum on Munich. Then managed a trip over the Stelvio but that's off topic!

Just a picture from each.

Porsche Museum
Posted Image
IMG_8533 by robertclayson, on Flickr

Mercedes Museum
Posted Image
IMG_8713 by robertclayson, on Flickr

BMW Museum
Posted Image
IMG_8890 by robertclayson, on Flickr

There are more here: Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW.

Robert

Edited by RobertC, 28 July 2011 - 21:52.

#485 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 13:24

A couple of snaps from the Bugatti Trust

Posted Image

Bugatti King 23.4 litre vertical 16, couldn't help but feel if one of the 40 of these built still exists in running order it would make for a great aero engined vintage racer.

Posted Image

A T35.

Posted Image

Another 1000hp 3 engined monster awaiting completion.

Posted Image

In anticipation of Mr Giraffes long awaited tomb on the Lola T70 Rembrandt Bugatti kept himself occupied with a little sculpture.

Edited by arttidesco, 18 August 2011 - 13:24.

#486 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 14:53

In anticipation of Mr Giraffes long awaited tomb ...

That's not very nice - unless you meant tome?

#487 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 22:02

That's not very nice - unless you meant tome?

Doh ! Stand corrected apologies to Mr Giraffe :blush:

Edited by arttidesco, 18 August 2011 - 22:02.

#488 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 15:42

A few from the Museum at Le Mans.

I quite liked it, but the lighting was a bit dull which makes taking pictures without a flash & tripod difficult.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#489 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,771 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 16:47

Yes, it certainly is dark there but you seem to have managed pretty well, Alan.

#490 alansart

alansart

• 3,970 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 19:55

Thanks Barry. Most of my other photos are rubbish!

#491 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 696 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 20:38

In the days when Bernie had his cars in Donnington, 1988

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a few others

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#492 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:28

Not strictly a museum but there is nice collection of cars here.

http://speedhunters....-of-canepa.aspx

#493 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:28

http://speedhunters....ory-lesson.aspx

These are from the Museum of Bruce Canepa. Some pretty historic cars there.

#494 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 344 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 16:09

What an amazing collection of cars! I'd lve to visit there some day.

#495 Nev

Nev

• 243 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:39

This is probably the best place to post these. I can heartily recommend both if you are ever in the Stuttgart area.

Porsche Museum, Stuttgart

Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart

#496 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,566 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 00:24

You'll see a number of classics on the streets and in the car parks in Malta but no visit is complete without a trip to the Malta Classic Car Collection in Qawara.

#497 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,771 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:00

:blush: It took arttidesco visiting me to get me into that museum and it's less than five minutes stroll from where I live.

#498 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:49

:blush: It took arttidesco visiting me to get me into that museum and it's less than five minutes stroll from where I live.

Hi Barry,

I visited Malta for the first time last year and went round the Malta Classic Car Museum too. A really pleasant experience. Malta is full of fascinating museums - not least the Malta Aviation Museum at Ta'Qali. I was delighted by the informality and friendliness of this museum. They're trying to find a Bristol Orpheus for their Fiat G91 at the moment with the intention of getting it running!

Malta Aviation Museum link

Posted Image

My father learned to drive on Malta in the 1930s when he was stationed there with the Royal Navy.

Posted Image

OT, but with the takeover of the island's bus services by Arriva, I wondered if very many of the yellow buses, the above is a Leyland Comet (I think) in Sliema, are being kept as a "heritage" fleet?

Edited by Pullman99, 10 April 2012 - 07:09.

#499 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,771 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 13:03

Well, Arriva are certainly using them to train new drivers. I saw two a week or so ago, both being driven by young ladies.

There are a few others around doing tours but not many.

Advertisement

#500 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,705 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:18

A new motor racing museum in Western Australia was opened last November. It is owned by Neil McCrudden, a historic racer of note, and is under the label "W A Racing Museum", or WARM. I attended the official opening armed with my full HD camcorder, and some clips are up on YouTube. It is an "active museum" in that the cars are regularly raced. WARM has its own website www.warm.org.au/

I have never tried to link or embed clips in this forum, so bear with me if I stuff it up:

http://www.youtube.c...mp;feature=plcp

It looks like the links work okay.

Edited by Terry Walker, 11 April 2012 - 07:21.