Photo

Personal photos from museums

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#551 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:55

Interesting shots. In pic 2 they fail to point out that Andre Citroen invented this type of gear-teeth arrangement, IIRC.
Roger Lund
http://www.telegraph...#?frame=2407049

Advertisement

#552 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,714 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:22

Today I had a look at the mid-engined Hawker car, in storage now after the closure of the Fremantle Motor Museum. There's been some discussion on this car, and photos, way up this thread. I got these two photos of the engine bay:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The engine is a Studebaker S4, one of the engines prepared for Bathurst but not used.

In both pics, the front of the car is to the right. I couldn't see the gearbox.

I used to love those Bathurst races when the Studebaker Larks ran. They'd take off and disappear miles ahead of everyone else, until the tiny drum brakes gave out and they disappeared up the escape road towards the town.

Edited by Terry Walker, 10 January 2013 - 14:23.

#553 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 345 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:31

It was a national holiday here in Germany so I took the opportunity to visit the Nürburgring which is only an hour from me. Last time I went was 1998 and I had high hopes.

Well the “museum” is a SHADOW of its former self. The circuit has completely rebranded as a kind of fun-fair with activities, “retail boulevards”, and the museum is now one big “interactive experience”. What on earth was wrong with the (excellent) museum as it was that last visit?

Oh well. There are few gems in amongst the dross, so here you go…

Posted Image

Still on (what must be rather hard) Goodyears:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This claimed to be the car that everyone’s (2nd?) favourite German scored his first points:

Posted Image

One for the tin-top fans:

Posted Image

This seemed to be in commemoration for the Maestro’s 5 championships:

Posted Image

The mannequins for your personal photo opportunity were a little strange, here’s three. Lauda looks like he’s channelling Ron Howard already…

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

And the world’s coolest pedal car, yours for just a sniff under €10,000

Posted Image

#554 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:59

Those mannequins were dreadful. I had to look at the overalls to try and work out who they were.

#555 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:15

Those mannequins were dreadful. I had to look at the overalls to try and work out who they were.

Now I can understand why people try to register their faces as trade marks!

#556 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:35

The bear in the Auto-Union looks the most realistic of the lot. It's sad to learn that the museum has declined into an interactive entertainment complex - sadly, the fate of a number of illustrious museums where the powers-that-be feel the need to 'involve' the visitors and reduce the number and quality of exhibits. The 'Ring museum always used to feature healthy loan contributions from the likes of Mercedes and Porsche which always made it worth a visit.

#557 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:08

The bear in the Auto-Union looks the most realistic of the lot. It's sad to learn that the museum has declined into an interactive entertainment complex.

I don't think that's a recent development, I went there about 5 years ago, and it wasn't much more than an interactive entertainment centre and Schumacher exhibition back then, but mostly things like helmets and race suits. There wasn't very much worth seeing, and no interesting loan cars to be seen.

#558 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:52

A link to my photos from my visit to the Petersen museum in Los Angeles in December:-

https://www.facebook...h...8201&type=3

Not many race cars there, but a few, including a nice McLaren M8E, a lovely 1915 Stutz and the Art Arfons Green Monster Jet car and some really interesting "normal" cars.

Edited by Gregor Marshall, 11 May 2013 - 01:25.

#559 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:02

The first Nürburgring museum was excellent. The second version was already a waste of time...
Trying to figure out when the museum was redone (or better: slaughtered) I found this: Classic-Race Museum.
It opened in 2002 and I never heard of it before now.

Advertisement

#560 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:27

http://www.speedhunt...ars-and-coffee/

Not strictly a museum, however the cars on display would put many too shame.

#561 Garsted

Garsted

• 66 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:58

http://www.speedhunt...ars-and-coffee/

Not strictly a museum, however the cars on display would put many too shame.

I wouldn't want to pay the insurance premium on that place! - amazing.

Steve

#562 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:41

It was a national holiday here in Germany so I took the opportunity to visit the Nürburgring which is only an hour from me. Last time I went was 1998 and I had high hopes.

Well the “museum” is a SHADOW of its former self. The circuit has completely rebranded as a kind of fun-fair with activities, “retail boulevards”, and the museum is now one big “interactive experience”. What on earth was wrong with the (excellent) museum as it was that last visit?

Oh well. There are few gems in amongst the dross, so here you go…

Posted Image

Why does an ATS HS1 have Stuck's name on it?

#563 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:00

Because not all museum owners are old anoraks! :)

#564 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:03

They were probably going to add something like "...at the back of the grid" after STUCK, but the signwriter wanted paying before he'd do any more.

#565 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:38

Because not all museum owners are old anoraks! :)

Or young anoraks!!

#566 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,888 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 13:40

They were probably going to add something like "...at the back of the grid" after STUCK, but the signwriter wanted paying before he'd do any more.

If he was working for Mr Schmidt I'm surprised he didn't write something rather derogatory about his customer"

#567 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 15:56

And why does it say Maurer Racing on it?

#568 funformula

funformula

• 193 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:15

And why does it say Maurer Racing on it?

It has nothing to do with Maurer Racing of F2 and Bellof fame.
Maurer Design is a company that is/was famous for designing and painting race car liverys (IIRC some BMW DRM and BMW M1 cars) and drivers helmet designs in the late 70´s and early 80´s.

I like to see these old ATS cars on display but can only recall two of them in museums. Where are the other ones and the Rial´s too. Never seen them again since their active days.

#569 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 16:06

It has nothing to do with Maurer Racing of F2 and Bellof fame.
Maurer Design is a company that is/was famous for designing and painting race car liverys (IIRC some BMW DRM and BMW M1 cars) and drivers helmet designs in the late 70´s and early 80´s.

I like to see these old ATS cars on display but can only recall two of them in museums. Where are the other ones and the Rial´s too. Never seen them again since their active days.

From wikimedia:
Posted Image
There is also this one in the museum at the Hockenheimring. The photo is dated march 23rd 2013.
I believe that ATS kept all the cars and handed just those two out on loan.
The next time I pass through Bad Dürckheim at a sensible time during the week I'll stop by ATS and ask.

#570 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 17:46

I stopped by at what I thought would be the administration of ATS to figure out that ATS, Rial and also Alutech are part of the Uniwheels group and the building seems to host just the ATS aftermarket and OEM sales offices.
The door was locked, the reception desk was deserted and I didn't know what bell to ring.
Looking through the window I saw 5 cars lined up in the hallway. One said M. Winkelhock and anotherone further back said H.J. Stuck on it.
The first two cars in the row were late D5's the next one might have been a early D5 or a HGS1. The Stuck car was a D2 and the last in the row should be a D3.
If racingsportscars.com is right there were 18 ATS chassis build (without the carbonfibre cars D6 & D7). There is still a whole bunch missing.

I also drove by at the ATS facility in Fußgönnheim. It's a factory hall in use about the size of a school's sportshall. The cars ain't there.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for information about where all the cars are. Let's see what response I'll get.

PS: just 200 meters down the street from ATS in Fußgönnheim is the Rial factory. And that is a fullsize factory as I expected it from ATS as well.

#571 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:58

Gaydon...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by David Beard, 23 June 2013 - 06:00.

#572 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 14:35

I stopped by at what I thought would be the administration of ATS to figure out that ATS, Rial and also Alutech are part of the Uniwheels group and the building seems to host just the ATS aftermarket and OEM sales offices.
The door was locked, the reception desk was deserted and I didn't know what bell to ring.
Looking through the window I saw 5 cars lined up in the hallway. One said M. Winkelhock and anotherone further back said H.J. Stuck on it.
The first two cars in the row were late D5's the next one might have been a early D5 or a HGS1. The Stuck car was a D2 and the last in the row should be a D3.
If racingsportscars.com is right there were 18 ATS chassis build (without the carbonfibre cars D6 & D7). There is still a whole bunch missing.

I also drove by at the ATS facility in Fußgönnheim. It's a factory hall in use about the size of a school's sportshall. The cars ain't there.

I've sent them an e-mail asking for information about where all the cars are. Let's see what response I'll get.

PS: just 200 meters down the street from ATS in Fußgönnheim is the Rial factory. And that is a fullsize factory as I expected it from ATS as well.

A handful of the ATSs have escaped into private hands but the vast majority are still missing. Remember that some of the cars were written off, e.g. D1/01, and others were rebuilt into other cars, e.g. D1/02 becoming D2/01, so fewer than 18 separate entities ever existed.

#573 BritishV8

BritishV8

• 159 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:01

Has the Smith Collection been discussed yet?  If you're interested in Miller and Offenhauser history, you'll love it.

At the moment, the museum is transitioning to a new name.  Here's a link to a report about my recent visit: 

Touring "The Speedway Motors Museum of American Speed" (58 photos)

two samples:

Speedway-SmithMuseumOfAmericanSpeed-BA.j

(One of the four front-wheel-drive Miller Ford racecars that raced in the 1935 Indianapolis 500.)

Speedway-SmithMuseumOfAmericanSpeed-CD.j

(One of two Miller DOHV 308cid 45-degree V8s built for Miller's 1932 four-wheel-drive Indy cars.)

#574 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:50

As a lot of us have numerous photos of museums individually, quick question, it takes blooming ages to upload them onto TNF, because you have to use Photo-bucket, etc; Is there some LAT server we can piggy-back off; Twinny??
If I have albums on the dreaded Facebook, then I can just send a link for all to read/view, but if I want the Gods of TNF to view my photos I have to upload 1 by 1 through Photo-bucket....am I going wrong somewhere??
Possibly wrong thread to ask, apologies, but now I have all the 1910s to 1950s Bentley unpublished photos to share, I need to know the best way to share, as my 9-5 job kinda stops me from posting images, due to business... :(

#575 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,824 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 00:51

As a lot of us have numerous photos of museums individually, quick question, it takes blooming ages to upload them onto TNF, because you have to use Photo-bucket, etc; Is there some LAT server we can piggy-back off; Twinny??
If I have albums on the dreaded Facebook, then I can just send a link for all to read/view, but if I want the Gods of TNF to view my photos I have to upload 1 by 1 through Photo-bucket....am I going wrong somewhere??
Possibly wrong thread to ask, apologies, but now I have all the 1910s to 1950s Bentley unpublished photos to share, I need to know the best way to share, as my 9-5 job kinda stops me from posting images, due to business... :(

Simple answer, Gregor.....retyre!  ;)

#576 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:28

Tree month later: still haven't gotten any response. Useless bloody c**ts!

#577 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:39

Gregor, can't you pick up the URL of the Facebook or Flickr image and post it here?  Photobucket isn't mandatory.

#578 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:01

Gregor, can't you pick up the URL of the Facebook or Flickr image and post it here?  Photobucket isn't mandatory.

I've tried doing it from Facebook but it doesn't seem to work. Privacy settings etc. Flick is easier. I tend to copy the sharing URL but get rid of the all the Flick bits around it so I'm just left with the jpeg image. I don't know Photobucket but you might be able to do the same with that.

For instance: BB with Flickr code:

6156168022_d114eaa327_z.jpg
Le Mans Museum by Alansart, on Flickr

Removing all the Flick bits to leave..

6156168022_d114eaa327_z.jpg

#579 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:27

Speedway-SmithMuseumOfAmericanSpeed-BA.j

That is one elegant automobile...

Edited by Bloggsworth, 14 September 2013 - 20:28.

Advertisement

#580 Nev

Nev

• 244 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:46

Hello Gents - visited a couple of museums last week. Ferrari's museum at Maranello and the truly superb new Auto Museum in Turin. Here is a small video I made of my visit to Maranello (Turin to follow). To be absolutely honest, I was a little underwhelmed with Ferrari's offering and felt a little let down. They could learn such a lot about how to present cars and add interest to the exhibits by wandering to Turin and taking a look at the museum there. It really isn't enough to say, "the cars speak for themselves".

I stayed in Maranello at the "Maranello Village" - a Ferrari-themed hotel not too far from the museum. It was pretty adequate and had everything you could need for a visit to Maranello (not the most inspiring of Italian towns).

http://youtu.be/r50IVyoG8ms

Edited by Nev, 16 September 2013 - 07:28.

#581 Nev

Nev

• 244 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:34

Visited Italy's National Auto Museum in Turin last week and thought you might like to see this (although YouTube has blocked the video in certain countries - can you see it in yours?).

Note the red E-Type and the way the cars were displayed - pure theatre! Note also the way the red Italian racecars are displayed towards the end of the video - I loved it!

I can wholeheartedly recommend this museum and feel it has to be one of the best in Europe. It is somewhere you can take people who aren't petrolheads as they can learn about Italy's automotive culture.

Jaguar - are you watching? Perhaps some ideas there for a new museum??

#582 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:30

Not personal photos but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this. Google Street View of the Honda Collection

I like the way it's laid out. Lots of space and no string in front of the machinery :)

#583 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:43

Not personal photos but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this. Google Street View of the Honda Collection

I like the way it's laid out. Lots of space and no string in front of the machinery :)

...and google makes the faces on the posters blurry. :rotfl:

#584 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:48

Gee, if every museum did that, nobody would ever need to leave their arm chairs!

#585 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,628 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 17:20

Visited Italy's National Auto Museum in Turin last week and thought you might like to see this (although YouTube has blocked the video in certain countries - can you see it in yours?).

Nice movie, Nev. What a change from the time I visited the old Biscaretti in the '90s. Some investment has certainly gone into that revamp.