Photo

Personal photos from museums

• Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#401 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 21:10

That's excellent Mattijs. I was intending to go while in France a few weeks ago but family commitments had to take priority and I missed my chance.

The Ligiers particularly interest me. Did you happen to note the model of each of the four cars there?

I didn't, actually - sorry about that, Allen.

Their site says they have these four cars:

LIGIER 1979 J S 11 Monoplace
LIGIER 1980 J S 11/15 Monoplace
LIGIER 1991 J S 35 Monoplace
LIGIER 1992 J S 37 Monoplace

However, the JS11 and JS11/15 weren't there. I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to take thousands of pictures since they are both among my favourites.

Posted Image

The one on the picture above (taken from their site) was replaced by a Blanchet Locatop-liveried AGS Formula 2 car, the 1984 Streiff IIRC. So the four Ligiers were in fact two Ligiers (the ones in my pictures) and two Prosts, which I'm in the habit to call Ligiers as well... :D

Advertisement

#402 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 22:13

A few from Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#403 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 22:13

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jimjimjeroo, 10 September 2010 - 22:15.

#404 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,923 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:43

I didn't, actually - sorry about that, Allen.

However, the JS11 and JS11/15 weren't there. I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to take thousands of pictures since they are both among my favourites.

I knew someone was looking to buy one for HF1. Looks like they got there before you.

#405 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 13:03

It would be good to see that car out on the circuit again...

#406 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 124 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:47

Deutsches Automuseum, Langenburg Castle, Germany

Supercharged NSU racer from 1924
Posted Image

Veritas RS2000, 1947
Posted Image

Opel RAK2
Posted Image

A report is available on automuseums.info

#407 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:48

On a more modest scale, I've just visited an eclectic collection, the West Coast Motor Museum, run by speedway and Ford enthusiasts. There are historic speedcars from Claremont, and from the lesser speedways of Forrestfield and Wattle Grove, all extinct now alas. The car on the right on this pic sports one of the rare Repco Highpower crossflow heads.

Posted Image

The Repco Holden engine drinks through these 2 two-inch SUs

Posted Image

Milk bar with juke box

Posted Image

Cockpit of a Claremont speedcar. No clutch - just an in-out box selected by the lever, and the cars are push-started. There is a lever for the brakes, seldom used.

Posted Image

A hotrod from the Forrestfield speedway. The owner told me it isn't the one he used to race, which is junk now, but an exact copy he's building up.

Posted Image

Again the far wall, a row of "formula 3" speedway equivalents - known originally as TQ -three quarter midgets, and since then by various names.

Posted Image

General view of one corner of the museum.

Posted Image

Roger Fry, at right, internationally known coachbuilder and restorer, inspects a Vauxhall Vagabond tourer, unique to Australia. And yes, that's a R-R Silver Spirit in the foreground.

Posted Image

The guy in the yellow shirt is one of the Museum's operators, a veteran speedway racer. The Forrestfield hotrod was his racer.

Posted Image

Edited by Terry Walker, 27 September 2010 - 10:38.

#408 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:34

I was down there 2 weeks ago Terry it was my second visit,the excellent diner was only finished the night before.A lot of excellent Fords. Great shots to Terry.

#409 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:06

:wave: hi terry walker.. excuse my ignorance.. but where exactly is the motor sport museum where these great photos were taken..??got my heart beating..got me exited..!!must get there sometime soon.. ron mac..

#410 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:54

I will answer for Terry the West Coast Museum is at Mandurah a coastal town in Western Australia.It is one of several private
collections in Western Australia.
There is another one that displays Buicks from 1910 up to the 60s.
The main museum for the state is the Motor Museum of Western Australia that houses a great variety of vehicles that are mostly
privatly owned.

#411 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,720 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:36

If you are in Western Australia, it is on the left at the very end of Woodland Parade, which is accessed from the Lymon Rd exit of the Kwinana Freeway - before the Lakes Rd and Pinjarra Rd junctions. I'm unsure of its opening hours.

#412 ken devine

ken devine

• 752 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:21

As a private museum it is not open to the public only car clubs by apointment.

#413 ronmac

ronmac

• 825 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:49

:wave: thanks guys.. for the info.. details now in my notebook..and on my bucket list.regards..ronmac..

#414 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:26

Abbaye de Stavelot museum (Spa) last weekend:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#415 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:10

The museum in Stavelot. I knew about it then I forgot about it and I live about 230km away. Is it worth a two hour drive?

#416 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:18

The museum in Stavelot. I knew about it then I forgot about it and I live about 230km away. Is it worth a two hour drive?

It might be, as long as you could persuade someone to switch the lights back on.

#417 GrzegorzChyla

GrzegorzChyla

• 325 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:18

I recently visited Walbrzych (Poland) and a very interesting place.
It is an old coal mine which is now owned by polish racing driver Jerzy Mazur.
This place is now a Mining and Motorsport Museum.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and last but not least: stretch of road that runs through the mine was oficially named Ayrton Senna Street:
Posted Image

#418 Nev

Nev

• 251 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:06

A few pics from a recent visit to Le Manoir de l'Automobile (outside Rennes, France). http://www.manoir-automobile.fr

Please excuse my rather amateurish snaps!

Recent Visit to Rennes

#419 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:55

The car-side was excellent (it is a little dark down there Rob!!) but I didn't get a chance to look round the whole museum but there were lots of tours there for the main one, so it might be worth the journey to see the whole thing.
The town of Stavelot was lovely - I'd forgotten what smoking in bars smelt like!!

Advertisement

#420 Teapot

Teapot

• 322 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 14:32

Last month I visited the Auburn,Cord and Duesenberg Museum in Auburn,Indiana. Hosted in what was the main showroom on the old marques' premises (a sort of dealers' dealership
, where Auburn agents could come and have a closer look to the last models) it's one of the most remarkable museums I have ever seen: retaining all the old art deco furniture and fittings,it just oozes period atmosphere. And those cars...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can find more pictures here : I didn't post them on this forum because, focusing more on close ups and particulars, I'm afraid they might tend to fall off the scope of this thread, but I hope you'll enjoy them!

#421 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 18:24

A couple from the MINI visitor centre, sadly no evidence of the Mini's competition history on show, but probably worth a visit if combined with a factory tour :-)

Posted Image

Wildgoose with optional extended mirrors !

Posted Image

Alan 'The Graphic Entertainer' Aldridge Special, 2008 reprising a work that appeared on the cover of a Sunday Times Magazine in 1965.

#422 smarjoram

smarjoram

• 348 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:47

That museum in Auburn looks fantastic - the perfect setting for those cars - great photos too.

Didn't realise MB World had a C111 - I'll have to go back - one of my favourite cars from my childhood.

#423 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,223 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:40

That museum in Auburn looks fantastic - the perfect setting for those cars - great photos too.

It is a beautiful place. It's about 15 miles north of my location. When I was growing up, it was a warehouse that was being used for inexpensive hand tools. The floors were nearly black from the neglect. There was talk of tearing it down. How all the accessories , such as the lighting fixtures, desks, drawing tables, etc. survived is a wonder in itself. Dean Kruse was very instrumental in getting the financial backing to save the structure from demolition and begin the process of turning into the museum that it is. My family are all life members, it is an architectural masterpiece that is now on the National Historic Register. I sometimes take it for granted, but we are lucky to have such a fine place in our own backyard.

#424 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:03

Didn't realise MB World had a C111 - I'll have to go back - one of my favourite cars from my childhood.

We visited the old museum around '77-'78 and they had one (was there only the one?) on display alongside the Mille Miglia 300SLR in the front entrance hall.
Don't recall it being the colour the one here is - my fallible memory is thinking silver... as one would almost expect.

#425 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 348 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:21

There were several C111 prototype development vehicles - I'm sure someone on here will have details. Some were "Wankel" rotary engined and some diesel. There was one at the FoS last year, and I spotted one on display in a Brussels Mercedes dealership (!) a couple of years ago.

Edited by Hamish Robson, 03 February 2011 - 09:22.

#426 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:46

Posted Image
On this picture you see the first C111 in the back, a version 1 in the middle and a version 2 in front.
On the german wikipedia is a fairly big article about the cars. They build 6 C111/I and 6 C111/II. Four of the C111/I didn't survive.
I've seen a picture of a white C111/I. The others were all orange as far as I know.
I saw one of the C111/IIs years ago in a small museum. Those were propably the best build prototypes ever. Their finish was better than some production cars...

#427 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 23:02

Can't really see the point in mounting the car on the roof! :confused:

Neither could the powers that be of Cambridge University when a handful of students did this in 1958! :lol:

The story of how they did it can be found here. Makes you proud to have been an engineering student!

#428 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 13:08

I got some pics at the Prodrive museum in Banbury last Sunday, plus you were allowd to sit in 90% of the cars too, prett cool sitting in a Groub B 6R4 or Suburu Imprezza (if that's your thing!!).

#429 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 00:32

I got some pics at the Prodrive museum in Banbury last Sunday, plus you were allowd to sit in 90% of the cars too, prett cool sitting in a Groub B 6R4 or Suburu Imprezza (if that's your thing!!).

Looking forward to visiting Prodrive in March, thanks to Tim Murray of Pegasus MC for the invitation :up:

#430 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:46

We had to pay £20 each to go round but it's definitely worth it for the museum alone and the fact the lady taking the tours knows her stuff.
There's a lot round the factory you're not allowed to take pictures of but they are very open with what you can see but then I suppose there's probably lots we didn;t see that we'll never know about!! ;)

#431 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 115 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:02

We visited the Coventry Transport Museum yesterday. I had been looking forward to this given the hype I read in the magazines when it opened - the architecture, the car collection etc.

What a disappointment.

Part of the frontage was shrouded in scaffolding for repairs - though no-one actually at work. The galleries were unimaginatively laid out and the display of cars was poor. It claims to be the world's largest collection of British road transport, but I very much doubt that. The placarding for each vehicle was perfunctory and rarely included any info about how the car came to be in the Museum's collection and what restoration had taken place. In quite a few cases the placarding was absent ... for example, there was some sparse info about a V8 Cov. Climax FWMV on display, but nothing about the identity of another Climax V8 adjacent. Was there something special about this other one ? Why did it merit being on display ?

In the upstairs gallery there were some cars which had nothing to do with Coventry/Birmingham or the Midlands at all - a Maserati 250F, Ferrari 275, Lola T70 and others on loan from Martin Stretton Racing ... cheap storage, but what were they doing there ?

The commercial vehicle section was sparse - three buses, some Fergie tractors, BMW bikes from the Boorman/McGregor coninental trips and no info about the dozen or so engines that were stored along a back wall. The competition gallery was sparse also - Gp C & Le Mans Jaguars from the 1990s and a 4.5-litre supercharged Bentley ...

Stuffed into odd corners behind vehicles were derelict pieces of retail Point-of-Sale displays. The Museum shop was large but largely uninteresting even to the tours of 10-year old school-children going around. There was nothing there to appeal to an adult enthusiast and it was badly laid out. I do not think lack of staff is an issue, but what they are doing with their time is. There were four or five Museum staff wandering around rather listlessly in the shop area and another four staff in the Museum cafe, though not one of them cleared any of the tables in the 2.5 hours we were there and the food was uninspiring towards dreadful. The Museum Guide was out of print and new ones not due in for 3 weeks, I was told by a member of the staff.

All in all it was slovenly. If all these staff are unpaid volunteers then there may be a reason for this, but the Curator or manager needs to get a serious grip on the place. I appreciate that funding is always an issue, but this place is sliding downhill.

Contrast that with the endearingly amateur Midlands Air Museum at Baginton (Coventry) Airport, about 10 minutes away. A really enjoyable visit which made up for the let-down at the Transport Museum. All volunteers, really helpful guides, very friendly and involved and a great collection of aircraft and engines. They probably have 2p to spend and they make it look like a £. At the Transport Museum it's the other way around.

Yes, I am being grumpy, but this was a 200-mile round trip for me. Thank heavens for the Air Museum.
Nick

#432 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:00

My slide scanning project has finally reached 1978 and the day I dragged my wife and three rather uninterested children around the union-occupied Schlumpf Museum in Mulhouse. What my photos lack in artistic and technical merit, I hope they make up for in historic interest.

The first thing as you came through the door was the shrine dedicating the museum to Maman Schlumpf -
Posted Image
Then a Hermès-Simplex designed by Ettore Bugatti for Émile Mathis in 1904 -
Posted Image
A Type 16 Bébé Bugatti -
Posted Image

Posted Image
A 1923 Grand Prix "Tank" (Type 32) -
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Looking rather out of place adrift on a sea of blue Bugattis -
Posted Image

#433 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:18

More from the Schlumpf Museum in 1978. No captions, I'm afraid, because I didn't take notes and I'm not a Bugatti expert.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Can anyone identify this? I've no idea whether it's even a Bugatti.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#434 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:30

Schlumpf Museum 1978 - more photos with very few captions:

A Type 55 Coupé (I think) - what a wonderful sweep the wing line makes -
Posted Image

Posted Image
What can go wrong with wing lines :drunk:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ettore's father Carlo would have been proud of the lines of a Type 35(?) engine
Posted Image

Posted Image

#435 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:43

Group 4 from the Schlumpf Museum in 1978 -

A couple of post-war Type 101s -
Posted Image

Posted Image
Ettore's little electric runabout (Type 56) - Can anyone identify the chassis frame behind it?
Posted Image

Posted Image
Ultimate 1930s elegance -
Posted Image
The rake of the windscreen means this must be a Type 50 -
Posted Image
A Type 41 "Royale" -
Posted Image

#436 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 00:57

Yet more from the Schlumpf Museum 33 years ago. You've seen all my Bugatti pics, so now for some highlights from the rest of the collection:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Could this be a Dufaux?? Or did I see that in Lucerne?
Posted Image
At least 90 of these bronze bracket lamps were specially designed and cast for the private museum!
Posted Image
Ah! There is still a Bugatti left!
Posted Image

#437 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:11

The final set from the Schlumpf Museum 1978.

Posted Image
An 8-cylinder Gordini chassis (Type 32??)
Posted Image
Lago-Talbot
Posted Image
Alfa Romeo 8C 2900A
Posted Image
Amongst all the beauty, a really tatty Tatra
Posted Image
I'd always wanted to see a BNC ...
Posted Image
Is this a Ballot??
Posted Image

#438 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:32

The first thing as you came through the door was the shrine dedicating the museum to Maman Schlumpf -
Posted Image

Wonderful stuff, and that 'Maman Schlumpf' thing was still there last time I visited three years ago, I suspect it's a permanent exhibit. Any photographic info to go with your pics ? All the ones I took had darker backgrounds, I didn't use flash, and I'm quite happy with the way they came out, but was the collection better lit when you went ? Also, although I've only been mid-week, it certainly seems busier than I've ever seen the place, surely it can't have become less popular over the years.

#439 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 15:40

Wonderful stuff, and that 'Maman Schlumpf' thing was still there last time I visited three years ago, I suspect it's a permanent exhibit.

She's the reason the museum exists. The Schlumpf brothers claimed that they reason they collected the cars that they did was in homage to their mother. Strange.

Any photographic info to go with your pics ? All the ones I took had darker backgrounds, I didn't use flash, and I'm quite happy with the way they came out, but was the collection better lit when you went ? Also, although I've only been mid-week, it certainly seems busier than I've ever seen the place, surely it can't have become less popular over the years.

I don't have detailed photo info (it was 33 years ago after all), but I do know they were shot on slide film (Ektachrome?) with a Minolta XG/SE SLR camera without flash. I have scanned them using an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner.

The light was very bright, the hall has a saw-tooth roof with full-length skylights facing roughly south - you can see one of them in the close-up shot of a lamp fitting. Looking at pictures of the museum today, it looks as though a lower false ceiling has been installed.

As for the number of people there, you must remember that in 1978 the future of the collection was in the balance. Rumours of the secret collection had been circulating for years, but no one was allowed to view it and the Schlumpfs refused to acknowledge that it even existed. Then the Schlumpf factory went bankrupt and the workers occupied the site and when they broke into a locked building they found what you see in the pictures. They organised themselves and occupied the building while the Schlumpfs tried to enforce their ownership and the French Government threatened to confiscate and sell the lot. So there was quite a lot of public interest! That probably explains the good turn out even though we all had to run a gauntlet of workers explaining their grievances to get in!

Advertisement

#440 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:18

As far as I can see, the roof hasn't been changed much, here's one of mine taken about 3 years ago that shows what's probably the current layout.

Posted Image
By null

This was taken with a Nikon D80, no flash, and I've done some tweaking in Nikon Capture to brighten it a little. The day was overcast, not a great deal of light coming through the roof, but all the lights were lit, which helped a little. Those cast iron lamps were specially made for the museum, they are copies of those on the Alexander III bridge in Paris. The greatest frustration for me was in the separate hall off to the left as you enter, the one containing many of the larger cars like Rolls Royces, and big Renaults, Isotta Fraschinis and the like. This area did have a lower false ceiling, so those old street lights were all there was, very difficult to take decent pics of these magnificent cars under those conditions, but a fascinating place all the same.

#441 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,088 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:20

My slide scanning project has finally reached 1978 and the day I dragged my wife and three rather uninterested children around the union-occupied Schlumpf Museum in Mulhouse. What my photos lack in artistic and technical merit, I hope they make up for in historic interest.

A 1923 Grand Prix "Tank" (Type 32) -
Posted Image

On most of your pictures look the cars like they were half or third size models. Specially this one.
And I don't know why that is but it gives them a great feel.

Our whole family went there at about the same time than you. As the little boy I was at the time I had not the slightest idea about the weight of that collection.
I think most people today are still clueless...

#442 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 16:52

Posted Image

Did you maybe also photograph the rear of this beauty ?

#443 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 20:09

Those cast iron lamps were specially made for the museum, they are copies of those on the Alexander III bridge in Paris.

It sounds as though there's a proper guide book now. In 1978 there was nothing; and only a few of the exhibits had notices giving the barest minimum of information.

The greatest frustration for me was in the separate hall off to the left as you enter, the one containing many of the larger cars like Rolls Royces, and big Renaults, Isotta Fraschinis and the like. ...

In 1978 the hall with all the lamps was all there was. The rest of the site was a 19th century textile mill.

#444 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 20:58

Did you maybe also photograph the rear of this beauty ?

Sorry, no. I've posted all the photos I took that day. Remember, this was in the days of actually having to pay real money for every shot you took! :well:

Incidentally, do you know what it is?

Edited to add final question.

Oh heck! It's a Type 251 GP car in a state of undress, isn't it? :blush: :blush:

Edited again to admit foolishness.

Edited by jdtreelines, 19 March 2011 - 21:14.

#445 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:08

On most of your pictures look the cars like they were half or third size models. Specially this one.
And I don't know why that is but it gives them a great feel.

The 1923 Grand Prix Tank IS small. It has a very short wheelbase - too short, as Ettore Bugatti realised later.

Our whole family went there at about the same time than you. As the little boy I was at the time I had not the slightest idea about the weight of that collection.

My three children would probably sympathise with you. I could happily have stayed several hours longer. :well: Still, the joys of fatherhood! :)

#446 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:24

Incidentally, do you know what it is?
Oh heck! It's a Type 251 GP car in a state of undress, isn't it? [

see post 85 here
http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=Bugatti 251&st=80
Using the search facility on the top of the page will show that we have ciovered it in some detail over the years.
BTW does anyone know the progress of the T251 replica which was being built a few years ago, and was shown at Prescott?
Roger Lund

#447 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 21:30

It sounds as though there's a proper guide book now. In 1978 there was nothing;

If you can find a copy I recommend the Schlumpf Obsession co written by Jenks just after the time of the brothers' troubles. It covers the whole story in some good detail
Roger Lund

#448 jdtreelines

jdtreelines

• 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 00:11

If you can find a copy I recommend the Schlumpf Obsession co written by Jenks just after the time of the brothers' troubles. It covers the whole story in some good detail
Roger Lund

I'll put Jenks' book on my birthday list. :)

I wonder does it include the story told by my late friend Hamish Moffatt about his attempt to see the collection in the 1960s?

Driving one of his Bugattis, Hamish turned up one day unannounced at the lodge gates of Chez Schlumpf to find them firmly locked. A gate-keeper appeared and the ensuing conversation went something along the lines of:

HM: I've come to visit the Messieurs Schlumpf.

GK: I've not received any instructions. Are you expected sir?

HM: No. I'm not expected, but I'm sure M. Schlumpf would like to see me.

GK: M. Schlumpf never receives visitors, sir.

HM: Look, I know MM. Schumpf are keen to purchase Bugatti cars. I own six of them and I am thinking of selling them to MM. Schlumpf [he wasn't, of course JD], but I want see the conditions in which they would be kept.

GK: I'm sorry sir, but M Schlumpf never receives unexpected guests.

HM: But I'm sure if you telephoned M Schlumpf and told him what I told you, he would see me.

GK. Telephone M Schlumpf, sir??

HM: Of course.

GK: But I could not, sir.

HM: Why not?

GK: But sir, that is like telephoning God!!

#449 BritishV8

BritishV8

• 159 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:26

I had forgotten about this thread... else I would have posted these pics from the Indy 500 Hall of Fame museum sooner:

Jimmy Jackson's 1950 Cummins Diesel Special
Posted Image

Jack Brabham's 1961 Cooper-Climax
Posted Image

Jim Clark's 1963 Lotus Type 29
Posted Image

Graham Hill's Turbine-Powered Lotus Type 56 (1968 car #70).
Posted Image

More photos from this our visit appear here: Touring the Indy 500 Hall of Fame Museum

Incidentally, later the same day Mark Scott of Riley & Scott fame welcomed us for a tour of his current workshop. Photos from that visit appear here: Prototype Development LLC

Mark Scott stands next to a Riley & Scott MkV Indy Car (circa 1997-99, about five were built).
Posted Image

#450 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:31

Seeing that a goodly selection of images from the Schlumpf Collection have appeared recently I thought I might add my own two penn'orth.

I was there in September 2009 and clearly there has been much reorganisation since some of the previous pictures were taken. Virtually all the racing cars now have their own separate gallery - the section that interested me most, of course, though I did take about 50 pictures of various jalopies of indeterminate (to me) age.

Here are a small selection of my 100 or so pictures including this strange display in the foyer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image