Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#4951 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:33

Does anyone know where there might be a copy of this book available? I've tried all the usual and/or obvious sources and have come up empty.

250 GTO 45TH ANNIVERSARY

published by Fink Presse (France, I believe) in cooperation with Ferrari Club of France, author unknown.

I believe it was published fairly recently in a limited edition of less than 2,000.

Many thanks.

Jack.

Jack - There was a write up in my recent issue of Classic and Sportscar and the only reference for ordering was a phone number +33 1 47 05 01 01. This would be a number in France and I'm sure they will speak English, listed at 125euro.

There's been so many good releases these past few days. I've just ordered the Lister book limited edition (shown above) and my wife has bought for me the new Phil Hill Publishers Edition book, for my birthday :D

I'm now just eagerly waiting for the Porsche 917x17 Publishers Edition, which I ordered late last year. David Bull said it should be shipping early May, the last time I called.

Next book on my list is the new Porsche book - Porsche 718+804, which I'll order from Chaters as they seem to have the best price delivered to the US.

Matt

Edited by MattKellett, 24 March 2010 - 05:13.

Advertisement

#4952 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:59

I would also like to mention this book I purchased about a month ago.

Hot Rods and Custom Cars - Los Angeles and the Dry Lakes: The Early Years, Rare Photographs by Strother MacMinn - by Ken Gross and Robert Ames.

It is a book of photos by Strother MacMinn and captions written by Ken Gross, who writes for The Rodders Journal.

Strother MacMinn was a renowned Automobile Stylist with GM and later taught at the Art Center Collage of Design. He served in the USAF as an Ordinance officer for P-51s and P-38s.

But it is his photographic skill that is displayed in this book, from an early age in the 1930' he captured the emerging hot rod culture in Los Angeles and the near by Dry Lakes with his Leica camera. The book is just filled with one superb photo after another, with excellent composition and depth of field.

The photos in the book were made available by Ken Gross who managed to purchase 86 rolls of film at a Brooks Auction at Pebble Beach in 1999 and what a fantastic treat it is that he has shared this collection of photos in this book.

Priced at $125 with a limited editon of 1000 copies, the book was originally available through the Rodder's Journal, but quickly they sold out, but Autobooks in Burbank still have a few copies left I believe.

http://www.autobooks...m...n&key=12094

Matt

#4953 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:32

Does anyone know where there might be a copy of this book available? I've tried all the usual and/or obvious sources and have come up empty.

250 GTO 45TH ANNIVERSARY

published by Fink Presse (France, I believe) in cooperation with Ferrari Club of France, author unknown.

I believe it was published fairly recently in a limited edition of less than 2,000.

Many thanks.

Jack.

Jack,

I have ordered direct from the publisher earlier this week (by post - I had an order form from a magazine advert) and am waiting to hear back from them. Hortons in the UK have copies although with their usual mark up.

Jonathan

#4954 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:32

250 GTO 45TH ANNIVERSARY

Many thanks.

Jack.

Hello Jack

you can contact François Granet [fgranet@fink-presse.fr]. He is the Director of Fink Press (they also publish the French version of Classic & Sportscars)

Due to the large format of the book, they had extreme difficulties producing (binding) the book-I subscribed (and paid) mine in November 2008 and got it, after 'some' correspondance in August 2009.

Good luck Michael

#4955 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:52

Thanks, everybody, for the great information.

Michael, what are your impressions of the book?

Jack.

#4956 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,413 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 13:36

Posted Image
The launch ceremony, Race Retro, 12th March 2010. L-R: Dick Barton, Colin Crisp, Brian Lister,
Ken Hazelwood, John Pearson and John Coundley. Photo: Paul Skilleter

Posted Image
Standing behind YOB 575 during the book launch are (from left) John Coundley, Dick Barton,
Paul Skilleter, Colin Crisp, Brian Lister, Stephen Bond, David Ham and Jack Sears. Photo: Tony Bailey

I have John Coundley's birth year as 1916 with a possibility of 1926.
Judging by the photos he's looking less like 93, i.e. more like 83 years. Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by ReWind, 24 March 2010 - 13:40.

#4957 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 14:36

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2010-03-12

The Ecurie Ecosse website has John Coundley at 84 but that was at the time of interview.......

http://www.ecurieeco....asp?driverID=3

At Race Retro, I was certainly of the understanding that he is now into his 90's.

#4958 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 14:58

Thanks, everybody, for the great information.

Michael, what are your impressions of the book?

Jack.

Dear Jack,

it's a lovely book with great photos of the anniversary. Good layout, good photographers. You have a bit the feeling: let the normal mortals participate when billionaires are having fun or are dining..
(a little bit rude!!).
Furthermore you have chassis stories and development of the GTO by Keith Bluemel. In the normal version is a (folded) poster of all 36/39 GTOs.
The luxury version has this poster signed and rolled.
The show was a Moet event and they gave all participants a book with extra pages depicting their own Ferrari..

But it is really worth the price-very nicely done!!

Best regards Michael

#4959 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 15:12

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2010-03-12

The Ecurie Ecosse website has John Coundley at 84 but that was at the time of interview.......

http://www.ecurieeco....asp?driverID=3

At Race Retro, I was certainly of the understanding that he is now into his 90's.

Oh, and did anyone get a pic of Norman Dewis on the stand? I missed him and so did everyone else by the look of it! (He signed my copy of the book though!)

Edited by Giraffe, 24 March 2010 - 15:12.

Advertisement

#4960 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:17

I'm trying to track down a copy of Col Ronnie Hoare's book on his time at Maranello Concessionaires which includes coverage of
the two TT Garage Ferrari cars (250 GT Pinin Farinas), one of which is happily still around in the UK with a good provenance. And
another (or the other maybe) appears to have just surfaced although I don't have a lot of info yet.

Posted Image
5 HPD - still with original log book - manufactured in white and driven by Romolo Tavoni while he was at the TT in 1958

Does anyone know what it was called or even have a copy please?

There is some info here that I am trying to expand .

TIA

#4961 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:44

Oh, and did anyone get a pic of Norman Dewis on the stand? I missed him and so did everyone else by the look of it! (He signed my copy of the book though!)

I'll post one later... Norman will be 90 this year - how's about I gather greetings from everyone and print/give them to him? Maybe a separate main thread would be better for this?

#4962 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:45

Are you referring to The Colonel's Ferraris, by DCN?
Roger Lund

#4963 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:47

Roger Lund

I don't know - am I?

Thanks - yes it seems I am! I'll see if I can afford a copy ....

Edited by tonyb, 25 March 2010 - 08:49.

#4964 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,145 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:43

I don't know - am I?

Thanks - yes it seems I am! I'll see if I can afford a copy ....

Hi tonyb

two copies of the 'Colonel's Ferrari' on amazon.co.uk--starting with 75 GBP...

Best regards Michael

#4965 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 13:49

Posted Image
All the Lister lads and lasses: from left are Ken Hazelwood (team mechanic), John Coundley (Lister driver),
John Pearson (mechanic/driver/restorer), Norman Dewis (ex-Jaguar chief test development engineer),
Brian Lister (team owner), Dick Barton (chief team mechanic), Margaret Barton, Joan Crisp, and Colin ‘Chippie’ Crisp

Edited by tonyb, 25 March 2010 - 20:23.

#4966 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 13:50

Hi tonyb

two copies of the 'Colonel's Ferrari' on amazon.co.uk--starting with 75 GBP...

Best regards Michael

Thanks Michael. I'll raid the savings ...

#4967 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,145 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 14:59

Thanks Michael. I'll raid the savings ...

It's absolutely worth (LISTEN DCN!!).
No it's a very good book-and a shame many years ago it was 9.95.....
Regards michael

#4968 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 256 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 22:19

I'm trying to track down a copy of Col Ronnie Hoare's book on his time at Maranello Concessionaires which includes coverage of
the two TT Garage Ferrari cars (250 GT Pinin Farinas), one of which is happily still around in the UK with a good provenance. And
another (or the other maybe) appears to have just surfaced although I don't have a lot of info yet.

Posted Image
5 HPD - still with original log book - manufactured in white and driven by Romolo Tavoni while he was at the TT in 1958

I have a photo of a 250 PininFarina taken in period at Silverstone, Reg No. 90 LPB, dark blue or black (black and white photo)

#4969 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 22:40

Roger Lund

In fact, I'm told this is not the book in question.

I apparently need Ronnie Hoare's own memoirs if anyone knows more?

#4970 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:50

For those in the UK, the shop The Works is currently stocking "The Great Race: The Amazing Around the World Auto Race of 1908" by Gary Blackwood for £2.99. Worth it for the pictures if nothing else (I haven't yet read the text, but a bibliography is a good sign).

#4971 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 17:25

Not every branch of The Works stocks all these delights - unfortunately. But it's still worth looking.

I also have a quick look in the charity shops and it's surprising what you can find. This week I got For the record, Niki Lauda's bittersweet account of his time at Ferrari for £2.

#4972 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 22:47

Not every branch of The Works stocks all these delights - unfortunately. But it's still worth looking.

I also have a quick look in the charity shops and it's surprising what you can find. This week I got For the record, Niki Lauda's bittersweet account of his time at Ferrari for £2.

Agreed, picked up an Autocourse out of Oxfam for £5 on Saturday (92-93), which I guess will be quite common as there tends to be quite a few Mansell items in the shops. Always slightly frustrating because you wonder what delights they've got stored through the back and perhaps some old lady has thought that something slightly rare is worthless and Jackie Stewart's Performance Driving at £2, though of course some of not so good stuff seems to be pretty common. I've lost count of the number of ITV Season Reviews and Previews I've seen there.

Two questions: does anyone know of any motorsport memorabilia shops in Scotland?

And does anyone know about whether libaries keep a record of every book you withdraw? Would they be able to tell me what books I withdrew ten years ago?

#4973 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 14:01

And does anyone know about whether libaries keep a record of every book you withdraw? Would they be able to tell me what books I withdrew ten years ago?

Two questions in turn.
Why?
And why don't you ask your library?

#4974 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,275 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 15:52

To most TNFs, the question "Now, what did I come upstairs for?" is usually rather more pertinent.

#4975 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 17:31

In fact, I'm told this is not the book in question.

I apparently need Ronnie Hoare's own memoirs if anyone knows more?

I stand to be corrected by those with much greater knowledge than myself but I am not aware that Colonel Hoare wrote any memoirs. A quick internet search has turned up nothing. Your best bet is to contact Tony Willis at Ferrari. I assume you have his contact details but I can furnish them if not.

Jonathan

Edited by jtremlett, 27 March 2010 - 17:32.

#4976 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 17:36

I stand to be corrected by those with much greater knowledge than myself but I am not aware that Colonel Hoare wrote any memoirs. A quick internet search has turned up nothing. Your best bet is to contact Tony Willis at Ferrari. I assume you have his contact details but I can furnish them if not.

Jonathan

I'm just quoting the owner who provided the info and asked the question - I'm not a Ferrari person so have no other info.

#4977 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 20:57

To most TNFs, the question "Now, what did I come upstairs for?" is usually rather more pertinent.

AKA the hereafter obsession as in "What did I come up here after?"

#4978 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 20:58

Two questions in turn.
Why?
And why don't you ask your library?

I am planning to ask the library anyway, just with me remembering the book on a Friday evening, the library is shut till Monday morning so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew whether I should be optimistic or not. I withdrew what I thought was a really good back then and now I've got some disposable income, I was going to have a scout on Amazon for it, but unfortunately have no idea what it was called.

Mine is only young, but slowly growing.

#4979 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 23:33

If it's a motoring or motor racing book, describe it here. You never know - someone may recognise it

Edited by D-Type, 27 March 2010 - 23:33.

Advertisement

#4980 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,100 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:21

Ignoring the "why" of this, it would depend on the issue system the library used at the time. As an example, I'll remind you of the "Brown" system where the book's card was placed in a pocketed readers' ticket and kept in numerical order until the book was returned, when ticket and card were retrieved and the ticket was given to the reader and the card replaced in the book. That of course leaves no trace of past borrowings and anyway it was impossible to find out what you had on loan at the time as they were sorted by day of issue and book number.
Later systems included early computerised methods, and in those times a security dump tape would have been made from time to time, but on a fixed number of tapes used in turn, so the data was only kept for the duration of the tape cycle. Modern computer systems may make permanent back-ups which it might be possible to access, but I don't expect you'd find them willing to go back ten years. .

#4981 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 20:19

Ignoring the "why" of this, it would depend on the issue system the library used at the time. As an example, I'll remind you of the "Brown" system where the book's card was placed in a pocketed readers' ticket and kept in numerical order until the book was returned, when ticket and card were retrieved and the ticket was given to the reader and the card replaced in the book. That of course leaves no trace of past borrowings and anyway it was impossible to find out what you had on loan at the time as they were sorted by day of issue and book number.
Later systems included early computerised methods, and in those times a security dump tape would have been made from time to time, but on a fixed number of tapes used in turn, so the data was only kept for the duration of the tape cycle. Modern computer systems may make permanent back-ups which it might be possible to access, but I don't expect you'd find them willing to go back ten years. .

What's possibly a better avenue is to ask if they have stock list form the relevant period. You can eliminate books on cooking, gardening, basket weaving, roman history. football and all the other definite "no's" and gradually focus in on the book you're after. If it's a fiction book that you are searching by subject, the words "snowball" and "hell" come to mind.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

Edited by D-Type, 28 March 2010 - 20:19.

#4982 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 22:11

If it's a motoring or motor racing book, describe it here. You never know - someone may recognise it

I've only got a vague recollection of it, but it was definitely a motor racing book and contained information for at least up to 1994, possibly up to 1996, but no later, so the publication date would have been around the mid 90's. I'm pretty sure it started right from the start of motor racing at the start of the century (IIRC it was where I first learned that a car existed called Chitty Bang Bang and it wasn't merely a Christmas staple film), I'm sort of 70% sure of that.

Anyway, it went chronologically through the history of motorsport, about 4 pages per year IIRC, describing who drove for who and a brief overview of the season. However the reason I remember most of it all was the sheer number of technical drawings of the cars in the book of the cars involved, which I can remember trying to trace and replicate. I don't think it actually gave any tables, at least in the main text, of championship results etc.

I'm sure the size of the pages was approximately A4, it was hardback (though of course a paperback may exist) and it was reasonably thick, possibly 300 pages.

I have no recollection of what the cover looks like.

Maybe someone might be able to come up with a few idea - as a 10-12 year I certainly did find it a fascinating book.

#4983 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,724 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 22:15

Sounds like Adriano Cimarosti's Complete History of Grand Prix Motor Racing. If it had facsimile signatures in it as well, bingo.

#4984 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 23:21

I can't remember the signatures, but looking on Amazon, the cover certainly rings a bell (and the customer review is pretty similiar to my description), so that looks a pretty good shout, and there's a few at reasonable prices as well.

Thanks to everyone for helping.

#4985 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 19:11

Went up to the town today and some of semi-good news. They have no records going back that far, the system only becoming as computerised in the early part of the decade, which was after I took this book out. However, looking at the ISBN and the name etc., we were able to ascertain that they had the book available until 2006 and, so, seeing as how my description led to a book being put forward that I recognised (and whose description also matches the Amazon review), as well as it having previously been available at my local library, I'm 99% certain it's the book and I've ordered a copy.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

#4986 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 20:52

I'm just quoting the owner who provided the info and asked the question - I'm not a Ferrari person so have no other info.

I've now got some more info and photos of the other 250GT body that has surfaced- as it's really outside the scope of this thread, I'll post a separate topic on TNF with what I've gleaned so far and let everyone loose on it. Any help that comes out of it would be much appreciated.

Edited by tonyb, 29 March 2010 - 20:53.

#4987 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:59

Yet again, I find myself championing Phil Kerr's most excellent book To Finish First. I's nearly all about McLaren of course, but in my opinion it's one of the best books ever written about racing as it really is. Am I the only person on this thread who rates it highly?

Whilst purchasing a copy of Derek Lawson's F5000 book (on behalf of Sid Taylor, no less!) on the WH Smith website, I've just ordered myself a copy of 'To Finish First' for the sum of £12.39p with free delivery! Seems like too good a deal to miss! :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 30 March 2010 - 13:00.

#4988 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 20:04

I didn't know about the WH Smith website. There are some very good discounts there - and a lot of dross!

Edit: Their cataloguing is a bit random with books in the wrong category and duplicates at vastly differing prices so use the "SEARCH" box

Edited by D-Type, 30 March 2010 - 21:19.

#4989 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 21:39

For those waiting for their leather bound Lister-Jaguar book from Paul Skilleter, they have now been signed and are being dispatched. If you want one be quick as there are only 120. Octane Magazine have given it a 'Book of The Month' review in the latest issue.

The signing session is pictured below, captured at Brian Lister's pad:
Posted Image
Photo: Paul Skilleter

#4990 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:00

As a fan of the Frazer Nash leMans Replica I was delighted when Leslie Jennings agreed to republish "Frazer Nash-What Memories that Name Arouses" isbn 978-0-9534628-2-7, after I contacted him last December. The book is an insiders view into the workings of Frazer Nash at an important time in their history and is well worth the small cost.
Leslie Jennings has previously published a biography of Rex McCandless and this is about to be republished I am assured.
Those interested can contact www.jenningspublishing.co.uk
I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer!

Edited by David Birchall, 03 April 2010 - 03:19.

#4991 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 16:40

"Frazer Nash-What Memories that Name Arouses" isbn 978-0-9534628-2-7

David:

Thanks for the link, but the Jennings Publishing site doesn't mention the Frazer Nash book. Neither Amazon nor Abe Books offers any leads, either. Where can I buy a copy?

Frank

#4992 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 17:26

Whilst purchasing a copy of Derek Lawson's F5000 book (on behalf of Sid Taylor, no less!) on the WH Smith website, I've just ordered myself a copy of 'To Finish First' for the sum of £12.39p with free delivery! Seems like too good a deal to miss! :up:

You did a good deal, the Phil Kerr book is simply brilliant. I'm only halfway through the 400 pages, but I'm already sure that it's one of the best motor racing books that I have read recently. Both the content and the layout are first class. Phil's personal recollections of the events are the most fascinating sections in the book. So beware, it's very difficult to put it down! :cool:

BTW, I have a spare copy of the F5000 book. If anyone wants it, please PM me.

#4993 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,010 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 00:18

David:

Thanks for the link, but the Jennings Publishing site doesn't mention the Frazer Nash book. Neither Amazon nor Abe Books offers any leads, either. Where can I buy a copy?

Frank

Yes, I noticed they don't mention it on the site but I have a copy now so it does exist! The book covers 1951, the year Leslie Jennings worked there. It is a small book but well worth the 17 pounds. I suggest emailing directly to them-it is not available anywhere else.

#4994 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,017 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 15:27

Whilst purchasing a copy of Derek Lawson's F5000 book (on behalf of Sid Taylor, no less!)

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2010-04-06

Sid this lunchtime. :wave:

#4995 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,275 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 15:39

Sid this lunchtime. :wave:

Clearly, a case of payment in loo...

#4996 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 20:18

There will be a new book about the first 30 years of Audi Sport. It covers all official motorsports programs of Audi from the early rally years to the latest R8 LMS. The book will be officially presented on April 12th. It will be available in German and English.

#4997 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:25

Goodwood Revival by Andy Stansfield; published by Halsgrove in 2009.

I just happened upon this book while browsing Ebay. I have never seen it reviewed or even heard of it even though it was published last August. I went ahead and ordered a copy since I seem compelled to buy anything to do with Revival.

Jack

#4998 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:29

There will be a new book about the first 30 years of Audi Sport. It covers all official motorsports programs of Audi from the early rally years to the latest R8 LMS. The book will be officially presented on April 12th. It will be available in German and English.

Here are some further infos about the book (from the press release):

It is no coincidence that Audi Sport and the quattro celebrate a common anniversary in 2010: in 1980, the first Audi quattro marked the beginning of the successful motorsport history of the brand with the four rings which author Alexander von Wegner describes in detail in the 208-page volume. His research took him into the depths of the Audi archive. In addition, he interviewed all of the former top managers of Audi Sport and many well-known driver personalities from all of the different eras. The current Head of Audi Motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, has contributed extensive information as well.

The work represents the first comprehensive appraisal of Audi Sport’s history. Each era is analyzed and illustrated by a total of 400 mostly colored pictures some of which have not been published before – including a unique historic document that shows the first twelve employees of Audi Sport in front of the former supermarket on the (then) Ringlerstrasse in Ingolstadt which is still home to the Audi Sport department today.

All of the race vehicles were developed there – from the original quattro that was later renamed into "R1” all the way to the current Audi R8 LMS that bears the internal project name "R16.” All vehicles are depicted in detailed, large-sized graphical representations and schematic drawings that bring back memories of Audi Sport’s most spectacular inventions.

Brief description
30 Years of Audi Sport – 30 Years of quattro; author: Alexander von Wegner (40); volume: 208 pages; size: 235 x 330 mm; 405 photographs and eleven large-sized graphical vehicle depictions; price: 29.90 euros; ISBN numbers: 978-3-940672-22-3 (German edition), 978-3-940672-23-0 (English edition); publication date: April 12, 2010

Posted Image

The book is available here:

http://www.racing1.d...audi-sport.html

Edited by Herbert, 07 April 2010 - 11:33.

#4999 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:26

Here are some further infos about the book (from the press release):

It is no coincidence that Audi Sport and the quattro celebrate a common anniversary in 2010: in 1980, the first Audi quattro marked the beginning of the successful motorsport history of the brand with the four rings which author Alexander von Wegner describes in detail in the 208-page volume. His research took him into the depths of the Audi archive. In addition, he interviewed all of the former top managers of Audi Sport and many well-known driver personalities from all of the different eras. The current Head of Audi Motorsport, Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich, has contributed extensive information as well.

The work represents the first comprehensive appraisal of Audi Sport’s history. Each era is analyzed and illustrated by a total of 400 mostly colored pictures some of which have not been published before – including a unique historic document that shows the first twelve employees of Audi Sport in front of the former supermarket on the (then) Ringlerstrasse in Ingolstadt which is still home to the Audi Sport department today.

All of the race vehicles were developed there – from the original quattro that was later renamed into "R1” all the way to the current Audi R8 LMS that bears the internal project name "R16.” All vehicles are depicted in detailed, large-sized graphical representations and schematic drawings that bring back memories of Audi Sport’s most spectacular inventions.

Brief description
30 Years of Audi Sport – 30 Years of quattro; author: Alexander von Wegner (40); volume: 208 pages; size: 235 x 330 mm; 405 photographs and eleven large-sized graphical vehicle depictions; price: 29.90 euros; ISBN numbers: 978-3-940672-22-3 (German edition), 978-3-940672-23-0 (English edition); publication date: April 12, 2010

Posted Image

The book is available here:

http://www.racing1.d...audi-sport.html

Awesome!!! :clap: I've been looking for a book on Audi motorsport for a while now. Who's the publisher and will this book be available on Amazon?

Advertisement

#5000 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 99 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:04

Anyone familiar with this new book? 'Collage: Jackie Stewart's Grand Prix Album' apparently done by Helen from her personal scrapbooks.
Jeff Weinbren.