Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7721 replies to this topic

#5301 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 21:26

Below is information edited from a press release on a new book paying homage to Bugatti Art, Automobiles, Furniture and Heritage . . .
“The Art of Bugatti: Mullin Automotive Museum” will be released at 2010 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Written by Richard Adatto, Julius Kruta and furniture authority Christina Japp, The Art of Bugatti brings the heritage of this famous family of artists and innovators to life. Includes rarely seen historical photographs & documents, plus studio photography of the automobiles by Michael Furman. 248 pgs, 9.5x12 inch, 300 color ills., 50 B&W, suggested list price of US$95.
- - -
I will be at Pebble Beach and hope to see the book Up-close & In-person. Looks as though the publisher may the Mullin Museum itself. I will get to the museum soon (Oxnard CA) it is only 10 miles from my home.

Mark

Hello Mark

It took a while for me to find what the book you describe reminded me of, but now I have it, and I suspect it pales a little in the light of the new title. It's a book published by Peleus Press for the National Gallery of Victoria, to accompany an exhibition held there in February - April 2009. Entitled 'Bugatti: Carlo, Rembrandt, Ettore and Jean', it's written by Amanda Dunsmore and John Payne, and contains almost 90 pages of colour images of Carlo's furniture and Rembrandt's sculptures. Then come four pages of studio shots of a Type 37, a pair of random pages of a Type 44 engine and a wheel, and four pages of what's described as a Type 57C Atlantic

All in all, Ettore and Jean's work isn't given anything like the same atttention as Carlo and Rembrandt's, and that presumably was the fault of the exhibition rather than the authors. but it certainly opens one's eyes as to how far back and how broadly the pur sang flowed.

So, did you get the Mullin book? What do you think of it?

Paul

Advertisement

#5302 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 21:36

Is the new book about Jochen Rindt by David Tremayne already available? First impressions? Is it comparable with Lost Generation?

Mine is on its way from Amazon. I'll let you know......

#5303 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:35

Friends:

The best way to avoid inflated prices for out-of-print titles is to buy the books when they first appear. This not only gets you the book at a fair price but encourages the publisher to increase his future print orders.

Spent much of the past two days going through the library here, updating the catalog. Found duplicates of The Coachwork of Erdmann & Rossi, Lotus Elite by Dennis Ortenberger (the later hardbound edition), Cunningham by Batchelor & Bochroch (the regular edition, not the signed one), and Cool Cars and Square Roll Bars by the Shuman brothers, A.B. and Bernie (signed by A.B.). All are now on Amazon. The Art of Bugatti is on its way here, too, but that will be a keeper!

Frank

#5304 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 00:08

Friends:

The best way to avoid inflated prices for out-of-print titles is to buy the books when they first appear. This not only gets you the book at a fair price but encourages the publisher to increase his future print orders.

Spent much of the past two days going through the library here, updating the catalog. Found duplicates of The Coachwork of Erdmann & Rossi, Lotus Elite by Dennis Ortenberger (the later hardbound edition), Cunningham by Batchelor & Bochroch (the regular edition, not the signed one), and Cool Cars and Square Roll Bars by the Shuman brothers, A.B. and Bernie (signed by A.B.). All are now on Amazon. The Art of Bugatti is on its way here, too, but that will be a keeper!

Frank

Can you tell us a little about the Bugatti book, Frank, or give a link?

Thanks!

Jack

#5305 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:37

Thanks!

Jack

Jack--

http://www.coachbuil...s.com/home.html

Bugatti and more!!

Michael

#5306 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:16

Friends:

Frank

Frank you are quite right , but buying new books , and see them at half-prices a year or two later , makes me feel rather fooled..........

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 09 September 2010 - 07:19.

#5307 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 19:20

Is the new book about Jochen Rindt by David Tremayne already available? First impressions? Is it comparable with Lost Generation?

If it is half as good as Lost Generation, then we are in for a treat! :)

#5308 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,322 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 21:18

Today I received, hot from the press (as were wont to say) Sports Car Racing in Camera 1950-59 by Paul Parker. An absolutely fabulous photo-book, just like the previous (60-69 & 70-79) editions.

Edited by elansprint72, 10 September 2010 - 10:20.

#5309 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 21:54

New Jo Siffert book :

Jo Siffert
The Swiss racing legend

Late in the afternoon of October 24th, 1971, Switzerland lost its greatest sportsman. During a non-championship Formula 1 race at the Brands Hatch circuit outside London, thirty-five year old Jo Siffert crashed his BRM and perished in the flames. Not only was Siffert a great national hero in Switzerland, but also an icon to millions of motor racing fans around the world. Born and raised in modest circumstances, the boy from Fribourg was determined to make a career for himself, not just in his true passion, motor racing but also
in society. It took him ten years to become one of the greatest racing drivers, winning Formula 1, Formula 2 and Porsche sports car races all over the world. A possible mechanical failure on his BRM Formula 1 car caused the legendary Swiss racing driver to crash at a track that had given him his biggest success only three years before.

This book tells the complete story of Jo Siffert, from his modest childhood to his biggest successes. The author Ed Heuvink was a witness to Siffert’s spectacular triumphs. In the course of compiling this book, he has talked to Siffert’s relatives, friends and competitors. The three hundred and thirty-six page volume covers Siffert’s short life in depth and contains numerous seldom seen and personal photographs from private archives. This high quality book is completed by a comprehensive statistics section.

Technical details:
Author: Ed Heuvink
Foreword: Philippe Siffert / Brian Redman
Format: 24 x 28 cm
Number of pages: 336
Pictures: 97 in colour and 263 black-and-white
Texts: English, German and French
ISBN: 978-3-927458-48-2
Price: 49.90 Euro (42.99 GBP)

Edited by Pedro 917, 09 September 2010 - 21:55.

#5310 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:26

New Jo Siffert book :

Jo Siffert
The Swiss racing legend

Late in the afternoon of October 24th, 1971, Switzerland lost its greatest sportsman. During a non-championship Formula 1 race at the Brands Hatch circuit outside London, thirty-five year old Jo Siffert crashed his BRM and perished in the flames. Not only was Siffert a great national hero in Switzerland, but also an icon to millions of motor racing fans around the world. Born and raised in modest circumstances, the boy from Fribourg was determined to make a career for himself, not just in his true passion, motor racing but also
in society. It took him ten years to become one of the greatest racing drivers, winning Formula 1, Formula 2 and Porsche sports car races all over the world. A possible mechanical failure on his BRM Formula 1 car caused the legendary Swiss racing driver to crash at a track that had given him his biggest success only three years before.

This book tells the complete story of Jo Siffert, from his modest childhood to his biggest successes. The author Ed Heuvink was a witness to Siffert’s spectacular triumphs. In the course of compiling this book, he has talked to Siffert’s relatives, friends and competitors. The three hundred and thirty-six page volume covers Siffert’s short life in depth and contains numerous seldom seen and personal photographs from private archives. This high quality book is completed by a comprehensive statistics section.

Technical details:
Author: Ed Heuvink
Foreword: Philippe Siffert / Brian Redman
Format: 24 x 28 cm
Number of pages: 336
Pictures: 97 in colour and 263 black-and-white
Texts: English, German and French
ISBN: 978-3-927458-48-2
Price: 49.90 Euro (42.99 GBP)

Pedro see Post 5264!!
The publishing is slightly delayed (technical reasons)
Regards Michael

#5311 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 00:22

Thanks!

Jack

I bought The Art Of Bugatti at the Mullin Museum when we had the 50th Anniversary of the American Bugatti Club dinner there last month. The book is large format, 245 pages, and features Michael Furman studio photos in color of the 22 Molsheim Bugattis in the Mullin Collection, plus history of each and period photos of many of the cars. Also included is a section on the ten unrestored Bugattis on display from the Schlumpf Reserve Collection with the history of that aquisition and the John Shakespeare connection. The Brescia from Lake Maggiore is covered as well as the Type 64 Project being built to a design chosen by Mr. Mullin from a contest among Art Center students, and the ex-Williamson T57SC Atlantic recently sold and now in Oxnard. The modern era Bugattis also have their space, with examples of EB110, 118, 218, Chiron, and Veyron currently in the Museum.

There is a nice history of the Bugatti family, and the book ends with a section on the furniture of Carlo Bugatti, many pieces of which are in the Collection, a few pages on the sculptures by Ettore's brother Rembrandt, and mention of the horse-drawn carriages used by the Bugatti family.

This is not a definitive book on Bugatti, but is much more than a Museum Catalog and is a nice addition to the Bugatti shelf in your library - word from a reliable source says that an up coming volume will be done on the other French cars in the Mullin Collection. I might add that the Museum makes any visit to Southern California worthwhile - it's absolutely breathtaking!

Book price is $95 (US)

Woody

#5312 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:23

Thanks, Woody, for that nice review. I checked the web site and there are a couple of books there I'd like to get, budget permitting. While we're in England next week I plan to visit the Bugatti Trust at the Prescott Hillclimb site. I don't know if they have books on Bugatti for sale there or not.

Jack.

#5313 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:18

Thanks, Woody, for that nice review. I checked the web site and there are a couple of books there I'd like to get, budget permitting. While we're in England next week I plan to visit the Bugatti Trust at the Prescott Hillclimb site. I don't know if they have books on Bugatti for sale there or not.

Jack.

Jack

They normally do have books for sale, and at competitive prices, though their web site (http://www.bugatti-t...-for-sale.shtml) is only showing the revised 'Grand Prix Bugatti' and Bernhard Simon & Julius Kruta's book on the Type 57S.

You'll enjoy your visit. It's a lovely little building, filled with lots of surprises. If you have the time, take a look at their wonderful photo albums. They're a joy, and you can search them on line in advance of your trip if you might be interested in a specific car / driver / event (http://www.bugatti-t...graphs/main.php).

See you at Goodwood.

Paul

#5314 Kyffin

Kyffin

• 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 19:51

New book.

THE WINNERS BOOK: A COMPREHENSIVE LISTING OF MOTOR RACING EVENTS 1895-2009

By James O’Keefe

This volume is the product of more than 40 years of intensive and far-reaching research into every major motor racing event held anywhere in the world. Using primary source materials whenever possible, often cross-referencing several sources, author Jim O’Keefe left no stone unturned in his effort to comprehensively document motor racing history. As a result, his amazing record includes all the major events, their dates, locations, winning times, distances, winners, cars and championship status. The Winners Book provides the racing historian and enthusiast an invaluable source of material with which to document and further research specific events. With over 22,000 entries, the book is a requirement for anyone seriously interested in worldwide automobile racing history.

575 pages. Hard-bound with dust jacket. Indexed with Bibliography.
$65.00

Link

#5315 Kyffin

Kyffin

• 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 19:52

Does anybody have the contact for the PUBLISHER of this title?

#5316 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:44

Does anybody have the contact for the PUBLISHER of this title?

Kyffin

http://www.racemaker.com/

Other interesting titles too..

Winners book is interesting: first I was dissapointed ,only winners no depth.....BUT the shear amount of different races and series is immense!!

regards Michael

#5317 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 22:10

Kyffin

http://www.racemaker.com/

Other interesting titles too..

Winners book is interesting: first I was dissapointed ,only winners no depth.....BUT the shear amount of different races and series is immense!!

regards Michael

Racemaker is Joe Freeman, a font of racing knowledge. He actively races the Sparks-Thorne Little Six and a Kurtis roadster - also has a Mercer Raceabout, Walking Beam Duesenberg, Bugatti T30 - those kind of cars. Joe is very keen on accuracy - it would be nice to see him in this forum.

Woody

#5318 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:55

Have you seen this new book

The Speedmerchants Frame by Frame ??

http://autosportsltd...FrameXFrame.php

Michael Keyser has printed the pictures of two decades , nearly 1000..

Regards Michael

#5319 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 13:47

Have you seen this new book

The Speedmerchants Frame by Frame ??

http://autosportsltd...FrameXFrame.php

Michael Keyser has printed the pictures of two decades , nearly 1000..

Regards Michael

Michael -- mentioned in post 5200.

Advertisement

#5320 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 13:56

Sorry Frank

another 'senior moment'--Do you have this book already??

regards Michael

#5321 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:19

Hi Michael -

No problem about the "senior moment" -- it's a big thread!

I have not yet gotten the book, but it looks good. The pictures may be a bit small, though.

#5322 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:47

Hi Michael -

No problem about the "senior moment" -- it's a big thread!

I have not yet gotten the book, but it looks good. The pictures may be a bit small, though.

Thanks for the generousity!! Normally I DO search before...

I've heard , from one who was at Laguna Seca, that the book is in the 'process' of printing--far from available??
We have to wait!!

Regards Michael

#5323 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,136 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:30

New book.

THE WINNERS BOOK: A COMPREHENSIVE LISTING OF MOTOR RACING EVENTS 1895-2009

By James O’Keefe

This volume is the product of more than 40 years of intensive and far-reaching research into every major motor racing event held anywhere in the world. Using primary source materials whenever possible, often cross-referencing several sources, author Jim O’Keefe left no stone unturned in his effort to comprehensively document motor racing history. As a result, his amazing record includes all the major events, their dates, locations, winning times, distances, winners, cars and championship status. The Winners Book provides the racing historian and enthusiast an invaluable source of material with which to document and further research specific events. With over 22,000 entries, the book is a requirement for anyone seriously interested in worldwide automobile racing history.

575 pages. Hard-bound with dust jacket. Indexed with Bibliography.
$65.00

Link

Just in from the grasp of German customs, I must say that my initial impression was one of thorough disappointment! Naturally, given my current "obsession" with Big Car/Sprint Car research, and the fact that Jim O'Keefe is an American of noted knowledge on this subject, I fully expected to see a complete run of AAA Big Car races, and perhaps even some major independent sanctioning bodies or Midget races included - alas, such is not the case. Still, almost a hundred of the close to 600 pages of the volume deal with the "indigenous" US open-wheel racing series, so it's not a complete failure in this respect, and I'm sure I will spend many happy hours comparing notes - it's just that I expected so much more... :(

But, as Jim has pointed out in his preface, "races for these cars [including Sprints, Midgets, F3 & FJunior] were so numerous and widespread that records for them would easily quadruple the size of this book", and right he is! Nevertheless, his work includes many of the major non-championship Big Car races, and first impressions are positive: he has clearly spent a lot of time and effort finding a lot of interesting data, including even a chapter on major motorcycle races. Pictures are few in numbers, but mostly very original and rare, not the usual off-the-shelf stuff - a big thumbs up for that! :up:

Overall, it looks like a nice and handy reference book, and from cursory checks the accuracy appears to be above average. If you don't expect to find data about a very specific (and obscure!) subject, you'll have much to enjoy!

#5324 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:19

Does the title mean the book's just lists of winners?

#5325 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,136 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:59

Generally, it lists: Date, Race Name, Track/City, Laps, Miles, Winner, Car, Time and Average in mph, sometimes with notes. It also contains some general information and lists of champions and car specifications, a bibliography and an index. If you know the PDF files distributed by TNFer Jimmy Piget, it's very similar, with the added bonus of race times and averages. First impressions are, it also contains fewer mistakes, lacks the lower open-wheel categories but includes sports and touring cars as well as motor cycles.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 15 September 2010 - 14:05.

#5326 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 19:28

Yesterday I received a "Shipped" notice from David Glasgow; USPS, it said.

#5327 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:33

Yesterday I received a "Shipped" notice from David Glasgow; USPS, it said.

Frank you mean the Keyser book Speed merchants???
Thanks Michael

#5328 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:59

Frank you mean the Keyser book Speed merchants???
Thanks Michael

Yes, the same: Post 5200

#5329 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,836 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:21

One for the Bugattistes methinks. Spotted in the window of Mr B's Emporium (an excellent independent bookshop in Bath). I didn't have time to go in and look at it, but it seems to be a rather arty production, probably with minimal text, perhaps in German. Pictures apparently taken in Dutton's workshop, showing Bugatti restoration in progress.

Posted Image

Small versions of some of the pictures are in a gallery here. Click on "books" on the left of the page.

The blurb on the publisher's website is only in German, but this is from a seller on ABE:

Three generations, one vision: with this slogan, the English auto restoration firm of Dutton Ltd. aligns itself to the classic Bugatti racing car. From 1909 to 1963, Bugatti-founded by Ettore Bugatti and based in Molsheim, Alsace-produced the most powerful racing vehicles of that era. Today, Ivan Dutton pays tribute to this legendary reputation. His 12 skilled employees are able to reproduce every original piece of the original cars, and even to reassemble them in their entirety using the original construction methods. Photographer Koto Bolofo visited the Bugatti garage in Buckinghamshire and was moved to record his impressions of the work and its rare quality of industrial artisanship. The photographs reproduced in this gorgeous large-format volume tell the story of the mechanics responsible for restoring the vintage cars and reveal how Dutton Ltd. has helped to keep an era alive.

Koto Bolofo also produced "Racing Style" about the Goodwood Revival, probably the only book ever sold in a rubber slipcase ...

#5330 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:01

Yes, the same: Post 5200

And today, the book.

With a few exceptions in the "miscellaneous" areas at the back, photos are about three by five inches. Very well-defined color and contrast, nice presentations, bare of all but basic identification of place, date, car, driver(s).

Organized by marque, the book calls to mind a family album: if you are interested you will likely have to some extent supporting information about the photos, venues, participants, and so forth; someone looking over your shoulder will add a fact or observation, and so the stories are passed from generation to generation.

#5331 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,125 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:12

Koto Bolofo also produced "Racing Style" about the Goodwood Revival, probably the only book ever sold in a rubber slipcase ...

An interesting item for the fetishists among us...

#5332 "Shangry-La"

"Shangry-La"

• 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 17:58

For the remaining few members of this forum who are interested in motor racing history :-

David Abecassis's book on his father, George Abecassis - A passion for Speed was available for the first time at Beaulieu last weekend, and it can be thoroughly recommended.
I understand David will be doing two signing sessions at Chaters stand at the Goodwood Revival on Saturday.

Edited by "Shangry-La", 16 September 2010 - 17:59.

#5333 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:49

Ben Horton's main stand at Goodwood this year is outside the circuit, almost opposite Bonhams, which fortunately is in its usual space.

He's got copies of the 'Art of Bugatti' book, and it is a treat, even at £75. An eye-watering exchange rate from the US list of $95, I grant you, but there you are, he's got to make a living I suppose, and he claims to be the only UK bookseller stocking it.

When I'm told to put my affairs in order, I'll sell all my books at Horton's-type prices, and leave my family in the style they might have become accustomed to if I hadn't bought all the books in the first place!

#5334 ringers23q

ringers23q

• 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:42

Hey guys, just wondering if you could recommend some books I could look into. I am mostly interested in biographies on drivers and/or tales of drivers on and off the circuit. I have read the following:

Perry McCarthy - Flat Out, Flat Broke (Great read, my favourite!)
Tommy Byrne - Crashed and Byrned (A close second)
James Hunt Biography by Gerald Donaldson
Gilles Villeneuve by Gerald Donaldson
Martin Brundle - Working the Wheel
Jacques Villeneueve Biogrpahy (cant remember the author)
The Life of Senna - Tom Rubython
Michael Schumacher biography - again cant remember the author
Steve McQueen - The man and his machines
Murray Walker's biography

Thats all I can remember right now. I'm mainly interested in anything from the late 60s to the mid 90s in terms of F1 and really just after something smaller and paperwork preferably to keep me entertained on my daily commute. I like all forms of circuit racing, so anything thats related to touring cars or le mans would be awesome too. I've hit a wall and can't seem to find a book that would interest me enough to purchase. I seem to be swaying more towards Nigel Mansell's bio. I really liked Gerald Donaldson's work, but the other titles he has released don't interest me as much. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated :)

#5335 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,793 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:18

David Tremayne's The Lost Generation and Adam Cooper's Piers Courage biog are now out in paperback. Simples.

#5336 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,017 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 21:08

Although you say 60's to 90's I think you'll enjoy these two by larger than life characters
Innes Ireland - All Arms and Elbows and
Duncan Hamilton - Touch Wood

I don't know whether to suggest Jackie Stewart's autobiography Winning is not enough - it tells you as much about his post retirement activities and his character as it does about his racing. There's also A restless life by Timothy Collings and Stuart Sykes which is more of a straightforward biography.

Maybe slightly too early for you is Jim Clark by Eric Dymock, which gives a good picture of his character

Memoirs of a racing man by Jo Ramirez tells his story of 40 years on the racing scene latterly with McLaren and features fascinating insights into various drivers including Prost and Senna.

And finally you must get Tales from the Toolbox by Michael Oliver which illustrates the life of a mechanic by a series of stories and anecdotes, some in their own words. No personal insights but a picture of what goes on behind the scenes.

#5337 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,507 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 21:29

I found the Jackie Stewart autobiography to be disappointing, very self aggrandising i'm afriad and certainly not an engaging read.

#5338 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 00:20

Ringers:

For the past few years I've been expanding the biography section of my library (Bill Milliken, Vic Elford, Derek Bell, Carl Kiekhafer, et al). This might be a tad outside your scope, but Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence At Speed by TNFer Michael Argetsinger is about the best race driver bio I've read in years. That 2009 book is nicely complemented by the same author's 2010-published Mark Donohue, His Life in Photographs. $39.95 each and fully worth it.

Frank

#5339 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:12

I found the Jackie Stewart autobiography to be disappointing, very self aggrandising i'm afriad and certainly not an engaging read.

I would agree with your summary. Although there were a few enlightening passages, the book overall was quite lacklustre, certainly compared to many other driver biographies which I have read over the years.

Advertisement

#5340 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:50

Bragging rights duly claimed. My Jay Leno Book Club interview has just gone up on his Garage web site.
http://www.jaylenosg...ercharged-bond/

A lovely bloke, a fabulous car collection, and a seriously good driver.

#5341 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:24

Friends:

Am seeking a copy of Germany, Off the Beaten Track (or Off the Beaten Path), an automotive tourist guide published circa-1958 and illustrated by automotive artist Hans Liska. Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
fdb912@gmail.com

Edited by fbarrett, 23 September 2010 - 02:24.

#5342 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 15:54

Friends:

Found one. Thanks!

Frank

#5343 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,616 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:37

I don't think it has been mentioned yet on here, but the next publication from Tony Adriaensens' Corsa Research will be "Ten days in Sicily", featuring photographs taken by Brian Joscelyne of the 1966 Syracuse Grand Prix and the Targa Florio. Due out, I believe, some time in October. Knowing the quality of Brian's work, it shold be excellent. Some sample pics here on their Facebook site.
http://www.facebook....107529619270054

#5344 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:49

Posted Image

Just to say that Paul Skilleter Books now have some UK stock of the English Language version of Volume 1 of Urs Schmid's "XK120 - The Anatomy of a Cult Object". Volume 2 will follow in English but there's no date for this.

Edited by tonyb, 24 September 2010 - 09:51.

#5345 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 42 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:27

Hello all, after many years of reading the posts here I feel confident enough to add a post. When it comes to autobiographies then I personally think the best of the bunch is Works Driver by Piero Taruffi. It covers his amazing career from 1923 through to 1957 and is written with such skill that I literally couldn't put it down. The book dates from 1964, published by Temple Press and there are copies on Amazon, but they're not the cheapest book you'll find. Definitely worth it though.

Colin

#5346 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 19:05

Hello all, after many years of reading the posts here I feel confident enough to add a post. When it comes to autobiographies then I personally think the best of the bunch is Works Driver by Piero Taruffi. It covers his amazing career from 1923 through to 1957 and is written with such skill that I literally couldn't put it down. The book dates from 1964, published by Temple Press and there are copies on Amazon, but they're not the cheapest book you'll find. Definitely worth it though.

Colin

I've missed out on opportunities to acquire that, so thanks for the recommendation Colin.

Don't leave it too long before your next post, will you? In fact, why don't you nominate your top 10 right now? Who knows what other treats you'll nominate?

Rgds

Paul

#5347 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,616 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:55

For the past few years I've been expanding the biography section of my library (Bill Milliken, Vic Elford, Derek Bell, Carl Kiekhafer, et al). This might be a tad outside your scope, but Mark Donohue, Technical Excellence At Speed by TNFer Michael Argetsinger is about the best race driver bio I've read in years. That 2009 book is nicely complemented by the same author's 2010-published Mark Donohue, His Life in Photographs. $39.95 each and fully worth it.

Agreed, Frank. Very fully previewed and commended here at the time it was published. http://forums.autosp...w...t=0&start=0

#5348 Arieb

Arieb

• 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 17:31

Looking for some help!

I am trying to get a better picture than I can find of the different Blitzen Benz cars, and to that effect have got info from several books like "The Incredible Blitzen Benz' by Karl Ludvigsen, and "Brooklands Giants" by Bill Boddy.

Specifically for the later races ran by a number of these Benzes at Brooklands, I have ordered Boddy's 2002 book "Brooklands: The Complete Motor Racing History"
However, I have also0 seen the following books:

Charles Gardner:
Brooklands Fifty Years of Motor Racing (1956)

Bill Boddy:
The Story of Brooklands Vol. 1, 2 and 3
The history of Brooklands motor course, 1957.
The history of motor racing, 1977.

My question therefore: does anybody know which of these books would useful, i.e. does not duplicate a lot of the "Brooklands: The Complete Motor Racing History" book?

Also on order are Robert Dick's "Mercedes and Auto Racing in the Belle Epoque", the reprinted 1910 "Braunbeck's Sport Lexikon : Automobilismus"and "Vom Semmering zum Grand Prix, Automobilsport Österreich" by Martin Pfundner.

Any help on the Brooklands choice, as well as other books with useful information on the Blitzen Benz history would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Arie

NB:
As I am a newby, I do hope that this post is not out of place, but, if so, please correct me.

Edited by Arieb, 25 September 2010 - 17:42.

#5349 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 00:13

One of the most disappointing books I've ever purchased.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 26 September 2010 - 00:14.

#5350 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:54

For those who may have seen these three reviews of Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs by Michael Argetsinger in the Donohue thread, my apologies for the repeat. Well done Michael and David. :up:

From the September, 2010 issue of Classic & Sports Car, page 57 book review:

Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs

Anyone who enjoyed Michael Argetsinger's biography of Mark Donohue will want this companion volume. Argetsinger has combed photographers' archives plus the Donohue family albums, and the superbly printed 160-page hardback makes the most of his evocative selection, from Elvas in SCCA to that tragic practice for the '75 Austrian GP. A worthy tribute to 'Captain Nice'. MW

Michael Argetsinger, David Bull Publishing. ISBN 978 1 935007 09 8

September, 2010 MotorSport, Vol. 86 No. 9 Reviews, page 127:

Mark Donohue: His Life In Photographs

Michael Argetsinger

Argetsinger's follow-up to Technical Excellence at Speed, his acclaimed biography of Mark Donohue, is a richly illustrated celebration of the revered American's life, and a colorful evocation of racing's nascent commercialism during the 1960s and '70s.

The plenteous photography is accompanied by illuminating captions, and interspersed with the occaisional reminiscence from friends, rivals and allies. Donohue was liked and admired by all who met him, but the easy smile and comfortable charm were only half the story. 'Captain Nice' was a clever and driven perfectionist, acutely conscious of what made his cars work, right down to the tiniest nut, bolt and spring. The paradigmatic example of the racing driver cum engineer, he virtually created the blueprint for today's professional cockpit technocrat, ensconced in a machine tailored to their requirements.

Paradoxically perhaps, In Deo Speramus (In God We Hope) is the motto at Brown University, Donohue's Ivy League alma mater. No one was more meticulous in their preparation. Always aware of what his cars were doing or about to do, he needed to take few risks en route to success in Can-Am, Trans-Am, Indycars and NASCAR. It all appeared so effortless and controlled.

Consider, however, the photograph on page 156 of Mark intently directing a set-up change to his March during practice for the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix. In God We Hope. Faber est suae quisque fortunae (Each man is the architect of his own fortune) seems to be nearer the truth, but offers little solace all the same. IM

Octane October, 2010 - Books reviewed by Mark Dixon and Richard Heseltine - page 138 - Book of the Month

Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs

Michael Argetsinger
David Bull Publishing

Yes, it's another 'picture book', but don't let that put you off. Mark Donohue is a compelling subject at the best of times, but this fine accompaniment to Argetsinger's text-heavy - and admirable - Technical Excellence at Speed is a must-have for all fans of '60s and '70s US motorsport.

Much of this is down to Donohue's all-rounder status: despite racing all manner of unlikely cars as he embarked on his rise to prominence, he subsequently excelled in every discipline he attempted. So here you will find images of such icons as the Sunoco Ferrari 512M (which never actually won a race in period) and the mighty Porsche 917/30KL 'Turbopanzer'. Those and the multi-hued AMC Javelin Trans-Am weapon and unlikely NASCAR race-winning Matador.

But more than that, it's the behind-the-scenes stuff that captivates, be it an impossibly young looking 'Captain Nice' sitting in a friends Bandini before leaving for SCCA drivers' school, or the still youthful but patently race-hardened Donohue with facial burns incurred after a collision with the Dan 'Hoss' Blocker-entered Genie at Watkins Glen, his Lola having been destroyed in the ensuing inferno.

There are lengthy and informative captions, along with quotes from team players, on-track rivals and family members, and they all add to the story. You really get a feel for a man who as much through determination as natural talent reached the summit at national level, only to die on coming out of retirement for a proper tilt at Formula 1. Tragic.

There's nothing particularly flash about this book, be it the layout or the typesetting. But, as with most David Bull efforts, it works beautifully, looks great and represents excellent value for money. Highly recommended.