The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7773 replies to this topic

#5451 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,202 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:55

New book on Russell Snowberger, by his son John: Link

I received this book this morning, and am over the moon...

Definitely THE BOOK OF THE YEAR for me! Almost 800 pages, full of pictures, facsimile period articles and great info from 40 years of US racing history. Board and dirt track racing, Indianapolis, Vanderbilt Cup and Pikes Peak, it's all in there...

I got the book for free :p (thnx, Tom & Harold :) :) :)), but $100 is a steal for a tome like this. Absolutely ESSENTIAL reading (and gazing at pictures!!!) for anyone seriously interested in 1920s to '60s US racing, mark my words! Superb quality production, too.

Simply GET IT!!!!

:)

Advertisement

#5452 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:15

Surprisingly Antoine Prunet's original GTO book is not mentioned in the bibliography.

I think that Keith Bluemel had just a little to do with that book as well, and it was only "...with Jess G. Pourret".

#5453 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:35

I received this book this morning, and am over the moon...

Definitely THE BOOK OF THE YEAR for me! Almost 800 pages, full of pictures, facsimile period articles and great info from 40 years of US racing history. Board and dirt track racing, Indianapolis, Vanderbilt Cup and Pikes Peak, it's all in there...

I got the book for free :p (thnx, Tom & Harold :) :) :)), but $100 is a steal for a tome like this. Absolutely ESSENTIAL reading (and gazing at pictures!!!) for anyone seriously interested in 1920s to '60s US racing, mark my words! Superb quality production, too.

Simply GET IT!!!!

:)

Dammit, Michael, there's a recession on... :lol:

#5454 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,034 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:12

Marlondylan

Thanks...at least some unpublished pictures..updated owner's stories is perhaps too much asked..

Best regards Michael

#5455 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,202 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 19:16

Dammit, Michael, there's a recession on... :lol:

Wot? Lawyers feel it, too??? Must be the end of the world closing in...

;)

#5456 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:52

The individual chassis histories show the known tables of attended events without racing numbers accompanied by short stories on the car's racing life and a not updated, simple owner history.

If I understand your post, that's quite disappointing. It couldn't be too difficult to update the ownership history since Bluemel's book, I would think.

Jack.

#5457 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:08

... Surprisingly Antoine Prunet's original GTO book is not mentioned in the bibliography.

The name Antoine Prunet of course should read Jess Pourret :eek:

It does refer to the Keith Bluemel/Jess Pourret book which was updated from Pourret's original work.

I think that Keith Bluemel had just a little to do with that book as well, and it was only "...with Jess G. Pourret".

Jess Pourret wrote the original work on the 250 GT Competition cars. Keith Bluemel updated and expanded that text but focusing on the 250 GTO only.

If I understand your post, that's quite disappointing. It couldn't be too difficult to update the ownership history since Bluemel's book, I would think.

Jack.

Just to be clear the ownership histories are updated but not completely so. 4675 mentions Chris Evans, for example (who bought it earlier this year), but 5095 ends in Korea when it has been through two UK owners in the last couple of years (and is still in the UK) and 3729 mentions Jack Sears (penultimate owner up to 1999) but not current owner Jon Shirley. So, some ownership history updates but a bit sloppy and incomplete. Fairly consistent with this author's other work in my view. Try www.barchetta.cc for better information. I should add I have only just received my copy and haven't read the whole book yet though so I might be being unfair highlighting this area (because it was asked about) without having been through the whole work.

Jonathan

Edited by jtremlett, 13 November 2010 - 09:09.

#5458 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 13:22

Thanks, Jonathan.

#5459 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:08

New book:

Caribbean Capers: The Cuban Grand Prix Races of 1957, 1958 & 1960
Joel Finn
$199.95
The three Cuban Grand Prix races brought the excitement of the world’s best sports cars to one of the world’s most glamorous playgrounds. This is a compelling story, filled with unexpected twists and maneuverings. Author Joel Finn, who was one of the timing officials at the races in 1958, has gathered a riveting account from original correspondence and interviews with participants as well as rare records from the organizers. More than 500 images of memorabilia and historic photographs of the cars, drivers and events-- many never before published-- as well as meticulously compiled charts of the race entries and race results insure that this will remain the authoritative account of the events in Cuba during the Golden Age of sports car racing. 360pp. Hard-bound with dust jacket. Indexed with Bibliography. ISBN: 978-0-9647769-5-1

Link

Advertisement

#5460 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 15:19

Sounds like a great book and one that I would like to have.

For $200, I am afraid that I won't!

Tom

#5461 LordAston

LordAston

• 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 20:21

Sorry to ask if this has already been covered

I was wondering when the next Autodrome will be issued. As an admirer of the Orignal I would just like to know about the future of it.

On Amazon it says August 2010 and on Veloce website it says September 2011. Can anyone here confirm that it will be 2011 some time if possible please.

Thanks for any help given.

#5462 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,365 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 20:41

This is what the author posted here in August:

Hi all,

Amazon lists the release date of Autodrome V.2 as the 15th August. This is not correct, the book has been delayed because it is still only about 85% complete but we are still hoping to get it out for Christmas.

More info can be found here but the circuit listing should not be treated as gospel.

http://www.veloce.co...d...Motorsport

Also can I take this opportunity to reveal the fourth and final book of the Autodrome series, provisionally it will be called Speedway: Panamerican. It will feature more than 9 circuits, and will take a slightly different format to the other three. This title should be out by the end of 2011 along with the huge and probably very limited edition Autodrome: Anthology in 2012.

Also we have been working on a couple of really fun solo projects this year - so expect to see some utterly stunning photography in Gav's first solo book later this year, and you'll see some more of it in my side project which will be out by June next year.

#5463 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:32

Just to be clear the ownership histories are updated but not completely so.

Yes, this is one of the major disappointments with the new Anthony Pritchard GTO book. As Jonathan says it has been only partially revised which does seem odd - if you are going to update the list, why only deal with part of it? Also, I noted a couple of cars illustrated under two different chassis numbers - 4725 is also illustrated under 4619, and 5571 is also illustrated under 5573 (5573 ran with race number 27 at Le Mans in 1964), while the race listings are a bit short on detail such as entrant and race number.
However, the spread of photographs is excellent with quite a few that I had not seen before and the racing history on an event-by-event basis seems to work well.

PS Who chose the dust jacket photo?

#5464 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 23:15

Yes, this is one of the major disappointments with the new Anthony Pritchard GTO book. As Jonathan says it has been only partially revised which does seem odd - if you are going to update the list, why only deal with part of it? Also, I noted a couple of cars illustrated under two different chassis numbers - 4725 is also illustrated under 4619, and 5571 is also illustrated under 5573 (5573 ran with race number 27 at Le Mans in 1964), while the race listings are a bit short on detail such as entrant and race number.

Well, I guess I'm disappointed even before the book arrives. These are serious shortcomings for a book of this price. As you imply, Alan, if you're going to do it, why not do it properly? There is certainly sufficient information extant, and enough experts available to consult, to get it right.

As for the DJ photo..I've seen two: a studio shot on the first Amazon listing for the book, and then a racing photo on the publisher's web site. Frankly, I thought the studio photo was much more dramatic, but since I haven't seen an actual book yet, I don't know which one was eventually used.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 18 November 2010 - 14:52.

#5465 Les Dalton

Les Dalton

• 99 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 17:03

Bon Jour everone,
I actually posted this on the normal forum below which may have been the wrong place.
After three years of stress, and tears of frustration, my book called FLY ARMY has just been published.
It tells the story of the trials and tribulations of the ordinary squaddie competing against the worlds best rally drivers at International level, and just in their army green machines.
It tells it like it was, flat out on the rally stages in an Austin1800, Mini or Turbocharged Land Rover, the introduction to the book is written by Mr Turbo himself, Alan Allard..
Rally fans of that era can get more information by clicking on my web site here: http://www.flyarmy.co.uk
Kind regards from France,
Les Dalton.

Could one of the moderators put this on The Book Thread Please, as I thought I had.
Les.

Edited by Les Dalton, 18 November 2010 - 18:35.

#5466 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 20:39

Received Rainer Schlegelmilch's latest offering, "The Golden Age of Formula 1", through the post from Amazon earlier this week but was very disappointed to find that the entire text block had detached itself completely from the covers due to the weight and what appears to be inadequate binding. It has to be said that it was contained within a box four times larger than necessary with only a long, crumpled sheet of brown paper as padding. If anyone here is ordering this volume by post I would advise wariness where the binding is concerned. I have asked for a refund as I forsee the same thing happening again with a replacement.

That aside, it is full of the usual high-quality black and white images we have come to expect from this great photographer, some well-known, some unfamiliar, with many fine driver portraits.

#5467 Les Dalton

Les Dalton

• 99 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 22:12

Actually Alan,
I had exactly the same problem with TWO copies of RAC RALLY ACTION by Tony Gardner, the first one I received litterally fell apart on opening it the first time, and to rub salt into the wound, the replacement is exactly the same.
I have now given up and just have a load of loose pages.
Hope you enjoyed your trip to Angouleme in September.
Regards Les Dalton.

#5468 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 21:03

Latest news, and ordering details here. Now due out later this month.
http://www.corsarese...YSINSICILY.html

Usual disclaimers.

Tony Adriaensens new book, 'Ten Days in Sicily', was released today. The book, which took the author two years to put together, is a true gem. As we have come to expect from Tony, his latest work oozes quality. It is smaller in format than his wonderful 'Weekend Heroes' and therefore easier to handle. Color reproduction is just wonderful and the lay out is very tasteful. This beautiful book could even appeal to people with no interest in one of the most romantic and also dramatic periods of motorracing. Well done Tony, you're up there with the best!

Kind regards,

Mick

#5469 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:40

Just to say that both editions of Jaguar XK 140 Explored By Bernard Viart, Edited by Roger Payne are now available (it's in English BTW) - it's got some pretty good reviews as well. More info on this post

#5470 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,034 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 18:08

SHELDON is back.

At least to me this is new: Volume 14 (1995-2001). And an expanded Volume 7.

Link: http://www.formulaoneregister.com/

In another thread ,someone mentioned a F5000 Fact book , also from the Formula One Register.
When was it published, and for which seasons??

Best regards Michael

#5471 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 21:10

I can't find any reference in the search facility so:

Making my Marque by Jem Marsh; tells the Marcos story and more, an excellent read.

A friend has just loaned me this book, having stayed at Jem's B&B recently; he bought the book and got a nice dedication too.

I'll be buying my own copy, nuff said. :)

#5472 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 21:32

Jaguar XK 140 Explored

by Bernard Viart edited by Roger Payne (in English)

==

I have an advance copy of this book and it really is quite extraordinary in both content and quality - and that's an understatement.

It got a good review in Octane. Not the book for me, as I wouldn't know a tappet from a poppet, but I wonder if it will encourage anyone to build a ground-up replica of an XK140. Perhaps it will presage a future range of books on iconic cars from the inside out; a valuable restoration tool.

#5473 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,034 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:57

Chris Amon -a celebration of a Kiwi Icon

Obviously a new title on Chris Amon, to be launched during the NZ celebrations in January.

There are certainly members who know more??

Best regards Michael

#5474 autodrome

autodrome

• 38 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 22:37

Sorry to ask if this has already been covered

I was wondering when the next Autodrome will be issued. As an admirer of the Orignal I would just like to know about the future of it.

On Amazon it says August 2010 and on Veloce website it says September 2011. Can anyone here confirm that it will be 2011 some time if possible please.

Thanks for any help given.

Hi there, yes its delayed because its still only 90% finished, both me and Gav have been flat out on other projects (in my case lots of em!). The track listing on Amazon and Veloce is incorrect, but not saying what is in and what is out. Hopefully there will be a bit of a preview of the new one in Brighton in the new year - also we may do similar at a TNF gathering in Herts.

The Veloce date of Sept 2011 is pessimistic - it'll be out by then at the latest

#5475 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 42 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:21

Hi there, yes its delayed because its still only 90% finished, both me and Gav have been flat out on other projects (in my case lots of em!). The track listing on Amazon and Veloce is incorrect, but not saying what is in and what is out. Hopefully there will be a bit of a preview of the new one in Brighton in the new year - also we may do similar at a TNF gathering in Herts.

The Veloce date of Sept 2011 is pessimistic - it'll be out by then at the latest

Glad to hear Autodrome 2 is not too far away from publication, the September 2011 date had me disappointed! A spring release would be great and something to look forward to over the cold dark winter as I'm sure the new book will be as atmospheric and compelling as the first.

Just out of interest, is there still to be a Speedway 2 and does that have a potential release date yet?

Colin

#5476 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,360 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 20:14

Rebel, Rebel, Marc Sonnery and Keith Bluemel.

The story of the Ferrari Bread van; a car I remember well from it's days in the UK racing at Oulton and Aintree. Very interesting history, a little expensive but worth it if you are interested in this special car.

#5477 RAP

RAP

• 567 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 19:10

SHELDON is back.

At least to me this is new: Volume 14 (1995-2001). And an expanded Volume 7.

Link: http://www.formulaoneregister.com/

In another thread ,someone mentioned a F5000 Fact book , also from the Formula One Register.
When was it published, and for which seasons??

Best regards Michael

The F5000 Fact Books were published in the mid-90s, covering US, European and Tasman races. The original books have long been sold out but the Formula One Register now has the facility to print additional copies to order. If you are interested in this, email for a quote to
formulaoneregister@gmail.com
In addition to Volume 14 of “History of Grand Prix & Voiturette Racing”, a 2nd Edition of Volume 7 1960-1964 is also available. There is a large amount of new information including the South African National F1 races and updated chassis numbers of many cars. The book takes the familiar form with narrative and full statistics including chassis numbers for both F1 and F2 cars including many South African ones with updated histories of the LDS cars, thanks in large measure to TNF’s Rye6. This information is not available on the Internet. The first edition sold out many years ago and only 50 numbered and signed copies have been printed of this edition, so if you are interested, don’t think too long !!

#5478 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,034 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 19:36

The F5000 Fact Books were published in the mid-90s, covering US, European and Tasman races. The original books have long been sold out but the Formula One Register now has the facility to print additional copies to order. If you are interested in this, email for a quote to
formulaoneregister@gmail.com
In addition to Volume 14 of “History of Grand Prix & Voiturette Racing”, a 2nd Edition of Volume 7 1960-1964 is also available. There is a large amount of new information including the South African National F1 races and updated chassis numbers of many cars. The book takes the familiar form with narrative and full statistics including chassis numbers for both F1 and F2 cars including many South African ones with updated histories of the LDS cars, thanks in large measure to TNF’s Rye6. This information is not available on the Internet. The first edition sold out many years ago and only 50 numbered and signed copies have been printed of this edition, so if you are interested, don’t think too long !!

Dear RAP

thank you!! In the meantime I found in an old prospectus that there were two books on F5000.
Sarah of Formula One Register told me that at this moment Volume 15 (2002-2008) is also available.
Best regards Michael

#5479 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,034 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:35

Without any commercial interest:

There is a German webpage (also in English) dealing only with FERRARI books--a very good selection and prices are very realistic:

http://de.v12books.com/

Best regards Michael

Advertisement

#5480 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,581 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 16:18

I have not checked to see if they have been reviewed earlier, but these things are all subjective, anyway.
3 new arrivals here.
Paul Parker's recent Sports Car Racing 1950 to 1959
This is another superb offering, IMHO, by Mr Parker, in line with the others in this series. Excellent choice of shots, lucid and illuminating captions and explanations,and the usual synopsis of who drove what and for whom for each year.

Paul Parker's Races Faces Places is in similar vein to the his Palawan 1960s book in format, and is equally well done with a superb choice of shots and subjects with comprehensive narrative for each shot, and not just more of the regular suspects. It does what the title suggests. Among others, there is a welcome shot of the Coombs transporter, shots of the Lola GT, Gentleman Jack with the Galaxie somewhat sideways, period shot of 4WPD showing how far the modern hotrod E types have gone in lowered ride height.... and a wonderful 3/4 front shot of the Mecom Lotus 19 Olds, along with a matching 3/4 rear shot of the Mecon Lola 6GT with Chev engine at Brands in August '64. And Peter Gethin was a very lucky man.........

Both highly recommended.

Karl Ludvigsen; Colin Chapman, Inside the Innovator. I have all/most of the key Lotus tomes and this is brilliant - excuse the hyperbole.
As yet I have only glossed through it, looking at things which caught my eye, as it will be a serious read. Think in terms of an elaborated and extended variation of Hugh Haskell's Lotus Engineering, rather than a Jabby Crombac eulogising history. It reminds me of KL's MB Quicksilver Century in approach and format. It studies ACBC in depth and researches his technical ideas and those of others which clearly influenced him. The wide choice of many mainly previously unseen photographs are very welcome, plus cutaways and Lotus drawings from the archives. KL seems to have interviewed all the key people and draws on many sources, listing a huge bibliography.

He tells of the forerunners/precursors/originators of many of the "Chapman" ideas; think queerbox, wobbly web wheels, compound torsion bars, monocoques, pre-stressed spaceframes, Chapman Strut, and the origin of the "simplicate and add lightness" axiom. When did you consider that a little Goggomobil would influence ACBC quite radically?

It is very modestly priced at £35 before discount and must be one of the best books of the year, not just for Lotus enthusiasts but also as a broad explanatory book for many motor racing topics which non-engineers, such as I, can understand.
Usual disclaimers. Apologies for length of review.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 30 November 2010 - 16:21.

#5481 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:42

Without intending to turn this thread to mercenary matters, I do have a question about book values, if I may be indulged.

Assume a book is published and eventually becomes sought-after, either because the author eventually gained great fame, or the book became very scarce..for whatever reason, it trades for far more than its original price.

Then, years later, one of two things happens:

1. The book is reprinted essentially unchanged.
2. A new edition is released and is actually more comprehensive, up-to-date, or just plain "better" than the original edition.

What effect on the first edition's value would either of these events have, if any?

Now, I can understand the value attached to the first edition of a work of fiction, especially if the book is critically acclaimed, or there is a very limited print run, or the author becomes prominent (or dies), etc., because later reprints will not add to the innate value of the content of the book. However, the books which are our primary concern here are usually biographies or histories, and therefore are subject to "improvement" as additional or corrective information on the subject comes to light over time.

Am I making any sense at all?

What are the thoughts here?

Thanks.

Jack

#5482 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:39

Are we talking Simon Moore here? :D

I think it varies according to the type of people who collect books. I collect the New Naturalist series on and off, and Collins are now producing print-on-demand versions because some books, which were only printed off in limited runs, are fetching four figures on the market. Since their introduction the price of the expensive books does not seem to have dropped, because the fanatical collector only wants a first edition, first printing. They will get the print-on-demand as a reading copy.

#5483 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 14:56

Mine is on its way from Amazon. I'll let you know......

I've just finished the Jochen Rindt book and while I enjoyed it, it didn't have the same emotional impact on me that "The Lost Generation" did.
I think that was because JR's story was more familiar as I'd drifted away from following motor racing so closely in the 1970s [ ironically, although I never met him, Tony Brise and I must have overlapped for a year at Aston University] and so the lifes and deaths of Messrs Williamson, Brise and Pryce didn't impact quite so hard at the time but I found the"The Lost Generation" book incredibly moving.

I wasn't so keen on the author's technique of separating JR's F2 and F1 career in separate chapters for each year and I would have preferred one chronological order rather than reading about 1966 F2 followed by 1966 F1 and so on.

It would have been nice to complete the human aspects of the story by seeing upto date photos of Nina Rindt and her daughter Natascha, we didn't need the photo of Ron Dennis with Lewis Hamilton, as we know perfectly well what the two of them look like :rolleyes:

Apart from those two criticisms Rindt's story is handled sensitively and with the benefit of hindsight the voices of his contemporary critics like DSJ have been muted although I find it hard to believe objectively that Jochen would have been quicker than Jimmy Clark he was certainly as quick as JYS.

Worth a request to Santa :up:

#5484 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 17:23

Assume a book is published and eventually becomes sought-after, either because the author eventually gained great fame, or the book became very scarce..for whatever reason, it trades for far more than its original price.

2. A new edition is released and is actually more comprehensive, up-to-date, or just plain "better" than the original edition.

What effect on the first edition's value would either of these events have, if any?

Jack:

Answering your second question first, we've seen that in most, if not all, cases the first edition's collectible price plummets. For instances, this happened with Mark Donohue's The Unfair Advantage, Karl Ludvigsen's Mercedes-Benz Racing Cars (when his Quicksilver Century came out), his Porsche, Excellence Was Expected. and Mark Dees' Miller Dynasty. Actually, I can't think of an automotive book where the first edition was valued higher than subsequent editions. Automotive readers don't value a first edition much in comparison with a later edition because the latter is usually significantly upgraded in content, which is usually why they buy automotive books in the first place.

I've just been through this pricing process, putting 1,500 old books onto Amazon, many of them older editions. I sold a copy of the 1978 edition of PEWE for $65, which amused me because its original price (thought exorbitant at the time) was $59.95. In comparison, the latest edition--hugely updated--lists at $299.95.

My answer to your first question is that when a book is reprinted unchanged--in other words, it just goes through another printing, not a new edition--nothing seems to change.

Frank

#5485 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 18:13

Thanks, Frank. The Unfair Advantage is what caused me to ask the question. I saw one somewhere recently for about 25% of what was being asked a few years ago.

Jack.

#5486 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,220 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 19:42

Actually, I can't think of an automotive book where the first edition was valued higher than subsequent editions.

I can ;) Two, actually, although they're both rarer than rocking horse poo. Rose's "Record of Motor Racing", the first edition of which I believe had tipped-in illustrations on glossy paper, whereas the reprint just has them in photogravure. The reprints go for about £150: no idea on firsts, but I'd guess at at least six times that. And Jarrott's "Ten Years of Motors and Motor Racing": Tom Warth currently has a first for about £240, whereas thirds and fourths go for around £50-75 and seconds about £100.

But I know I'm being picky there. :wave:

#5487 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 21:22

I wish they would produce second updated editions of some of the Palawan books. then there's a chance that the older edition might plummet to an affordable level.

#5488 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 22:45

I wish they would produce second updated editions of some of the Palawan books. then there's a chance that the older edition might plummet to an affordable level.

They wouldn't dare!

Although, they are releasing additional copies of Ferrari in Camera. They claim that these will replace imperfect copies that were never released, thereby not increasing the total number of copies in circulation.

#5489 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:37

I can ;) Two, actually, although they're both rarer than rocking horse poo. Rose's "Record of Motor Racing", the first edition of which I believe had tipped-in illustrations on glossy paper, whereas the reprint just has them in photogravure. The reprints go for about £150: no idea on firsts, but I'd guess at at least six times that. And Jarrott's "Ten Years of Motors and Motor Racing": Tom Warth currently has a first for about £240, whereas thirds and fourths go for around £50-75 and seconds about £100.

But I know I'm being picky there. :wave:

Only Here for the Beer is another - I wonder if 27 years between print and re-print is the norm?!
It must be frustrating though to save up and find an original and then a few years later a re-release gets re-printed at a fraction of the cost but then if we weren't enthusiasts then we wouldn't look for an original I suppose, bit like cars.

#5490 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 18:00

And Jarrott's "Ten Years of Motors and Motor Racing": Tom Warth currently has a first for about £240, whereas thirds and fourths go for around £50-75 and seconds about £100.

Vitesse:

Thanks for the above comment, which made me pull my copy of Ten Years... off the shelf. It's a 1906 editon, but even better, I found a note in it signed by Peter Helck: "Dear Harry: It is not that I am particularly generous--let's say feelings of gratitude for the opportunity you have given me to realize hopes of many many years. Besides, I know you'll enjoy this book--one of the best. Peter, May 1, 1960." Harry Braque was an executive with a New York publisher (Scribner's?) who published at least one of Helck's books.

Alas, my Record of Motor Racing is a 1949 edition...

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 02 December 2010 - 18:03.

#5491 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 20:07

Hello Jack

The basic laws of demand and supply dictate that the price of the first edition would plummet. For example, I see there's a copy of Time and Two Seats on amazon at an eye-watering GBP1,395 ... and it wouldn't be if the publisher would register that there is demand for a second edition, and publish one! Indeed, many publishers monitor the premium which used first editions are fetching on ebay and amazon, and use that as a crterion in deciding whether to reprint.

But then there are mugs like me who'd prefer to have a mint first edition, and help maintain first edition prices even when there are second, third and fourth editions. Not mug enough to spend 1,400 quid on T&TS, but a first edition of Conway's Grand Prix Bugatti ... Mr Lewis, how keen are you on selling yours?

What's on your reading list for Christmas Jack?

Paul

#5492 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 21:20

I do find it surprising that more publishers don't see the premium prices as indicator that there is still a market for the book and produce a second edition. After all their cost is considerably lower as they don't have research costs or the costs of sourcing photographs.

On the other hand, in a specialist field like ours it can be a false signal and the residual market for a second edition may be relatively small - witness the number of second editions that appear in Chaters sale.

As to the Christmas list question: Is it just me growing more choosy, or are there fewer of the "right" sort of book around at present?

#5493 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:35

To your last sentence Duncan , I can speak for myself : Some years ago it was economy that held me back , not that much today , but I am quite satisfied about it , else I believe I would have many books standing on my shelves never to be used. As my goals all along has had to be fulfilled from here and there I am very choosy today. It has partly do with me living in Denmark , where I nowhere can go to a shop to have a look , and only a few times to a library. Also I find publishers not telling enough about the contents of books. There may be a reson for that. Experience from buying the wrong books over the years has also given me "the right" to be choosy. As an example is Formula 1 books , there are and has been so many , and still not one (or a serie ) which I would call complete. By complete I mean f.ex. complete results AND a good deal of pictures. I do however still see books I'd like , but with too little info , NO!

But I must say that this thread has been very helpfull !

#5494 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 14:54

On the other hand, in a specialist field like ours it can be a false signal and the residual market for a second edition may be relatively small - witness the number of second editions that appear in Chaters sale.

I think publishers are wise to that. In my own case, the first edition run was 2,500, the second 1,000.

As to the Christmas list question: Is it just me growing more choosy, or are there fewer of the "right" sort of book around at present?

Things do seem a little lean at the moment, though Santa will be giving me Tremayne's book on Rindt. Then again, I have just done a deal with our nice Mr Lewis for that first edition Conway. That's the beauty of our hobby. There's always something out there - old, new, borrowed, blue - to quench our thirst!

Rgds

Paul

Edited by P0wderf1nger, 09 December 2010 - 14:55.

#5495 LordAston

LordAston

• 34 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 22:06

Does anyone know when Dr. Wimpffen's Elva book is coming out? The only sinppet of info I found was on the Elva website that claims it will be called 'The cars just happen....the story of Elva'' If anyone is in contact with Dr. W could you please ask him when it is due the suspense is killing me.

#5496 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:32

Was with Janos not that long ago. At that time he was still doing research. As I understand it, we are looking at sometime in spring or summer of this coming year.
Tom

#5497 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 16:24

Hi all,

I noticed while Christmas shopping on Amazon today that there will be a follow up to Sliver Arrows in Camera called Mercedes Benz in Camera 1951-1955. According to Amazon this is due out at the start of April, which is great. As I thought the first book was excellent I am quite looking forward to this follow up title of the cars in the 50s. Does anyone have any more information on the book and is an April launch realistic (Haynes are usally quite good I think at hitting launch dates).

Colin

#5498 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 17:23

Just bought a bunch of second hand books (all near as new !) from our own Simon , at good prices .

One I would like to mention , Huschke von Hanstein - The Racing Baron (in English) , 290 pages , glazed paper , not read yet , but lots of pictures , many very good I think , worth every dime!

And I bought 1 new book , having given up on the 3 tome French Le Mans book (expensive) , I took the LE MANS 1960-69 by Quinting Spurring. 350+ pages lots of pics (many seen by me , but much better quality now) some great new ones , and some nice results pages. Along the lines of Parkers sports car books (also from Haynes). Will recommend the book !

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 10 December 2010 - 21:28.

#5499 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 17:58

can anyone help with contact details for ken ball the UK book dealer
thanks

Advertisement

#5500 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,365 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 19:27

Full contact details in their catalogue: