The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7736 replies to this topic

#5551 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 2,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:54

Thank you Milestone!!

Seems that the package was made at the printers-perfect with polysterene padding...
So you bought at Sophie...I reserved mine at the Retromobile in Paris..
Yes certainly month of reading.
IMHO the luxury version with metal slipcase and additional slipcases for each volume is a bit 'over the top' and 700 Euros more..

Best regards Michael

Hi Michael, Don't know if you're aware, Inside the envelope with any customs declaration there is an official Le Mans racing invoice. Mine is No. 28 so clearly these books were only available from the 17th December. Regards.

Advertisement

#5552 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 19:19

The errors in Boddy's Montlhéry book were all carried over from the original Cassell edition from the early 60s which I doubt sold many copies at full price either - I'd guess they just OCR'ed the text and reset it unedited. If you come across period adverts for the Motoraces Book Club you'll find they were offering it at a very low price and I suspect they had bought the remainder stock from Cassell.

I would expect the errors to be carried forward in that book, as it was even called a reprint.
However they published a second edition of Barrie Price's book on Lea-Francis but again they carried the errors forward where the text had not been changed, and added some more in the new bits including some hilariously illiterate captions - Barrie, like many left-handers, has rather difficult handwriting but the trypist has not even tried to make words from what (s)he saw. They saw fit to transcribe a typewritten letter of costings into a facsimile but left a line out - easily spotted as shillings part of the sums of money don't add up.

#5553 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:27

Regarding the Le Mans box: received mine on the 23rd and by luck was home to receive it, rather than to carry the rather heavy burden the next day for about mile.

But what is it about? Presenting every starting team in picture and most non-starters (+90 %) is a gem. Some of the entries has their race tales told, others disapoingtantly not. Notes on changes in regulations it has, and something was new to me. Already familiar with the ACO-affilliated Quentin Spurring book about Le Mans 1960s, I would supect that this would make the ACO tomb worthwile over time, as a Spurring 1970s and 1950s should be available during the next few mounths. As of now I'm rather hesitant to recommend the three-volume ACO set, as I suspect that the coming Spurring decade-by-decade (1949?!) would be a better deal for most.

As I'm a sucker for les 24 heures du Mans I don't mind paying the bill.

Jesper

#5554 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 983 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 13:42

Jesper

Hello Jesper

as a 'sucker' of LM literature ,you certainly know:
24 Heures au Mans :1923-2010 published by the famous sportsdaily L'Equipe...
Nice photos.
Link: http://www.amazon.fr...2...2734&sr=8-1

Best regards Michael

#5555 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 15:10

Jesper

Hello Jesper

as a 'sucker' of LM literature ,you certainly know:
24 Heures au Mans :1923-2010 published by the famous sportsdaily L'Equipe...
Nice photos.
Link: http://www.amazon.fr...2...2734&sr=8-1

Best regards Michael

Well, Michael, now I know. A big thank you as I'm digging into what this is and happy new year greatings to you and all around.

Jesper

#5556 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 983 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 18:01

Well, Michael, now I know. A big thank you as I'm digging into what this is and happy new year greatings to you and all around.

Jesper

Jesper!!
Happy New Year!!Hope you have already, as we have, your LM 2011 tickets!!
And the Equipebook is nicely done and ok for 26 Euros...
Bst regards Michael

#5557 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:22

So ,appearently still no Le Mans book with lots of paddock shots ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 01 January 2011 - 10:28.

#5558 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 491 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:04

Happy New Year Bjorn - and everybody else !

#5559 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 983 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:47

Jesper

A Happy new Year to all 'bookiniste'!!

La Maserati du Colonel
This title will be published end of January--Maserati and Le Mans content. Author is M Bollée, who has already 4 Le Mans books published and quite a few on Maserati too.

Link http://www.motors-ma...;idproduct=3157

Best regards from Michael

Advertisement

#5560 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:42

Happy New Year Bjorn - and everybody else !

Good to hear from you, Ralf!

Happy new year!

Jack.

#5561 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,873 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:41

Hi,

Has anyone read the new Bernie biography by Susan Watkins? Interested in your thoughts on it.

Cheers
Mark

#5562 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:17

I "won" the last prize in a raffle which was a BBC "Top Gear" book called "Crap Cars" by Richard Porter.
I was not surprised to find that it might as well have been written by Jeremy Clarkson as Richard Porter as the same depths of ignorance and strange priorities abound. Published price was £9.99 but, like an infamous book on EFFONE, 17 Amazon associates have them on sale for £0.01.
I wonder if being selected as a Crap Car by that lot will actually improve the status of the 50 cars listed.

#5563 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,894 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 17:10

Hi,

Has anyone read the new Bernie biography by Susan Watkins? Interested in your thoughts on it.

Cheers
Mark

Roebuck has a positive review in this month's Motor Sport.

#5564 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 22:44

I "won" the last prize in a raffle which was a BBC "Top Gear" book called "Crap Cars" by Richard Porter.
I was not surprised to find that it might as well have been written by Jeremy Clarkson as Richard Porter as the same depths of ignorance and strange priorities abound. Published price was £9.99 but, like an infamous book on EFFONE, 17 Amazon associates have them on sale for £0.01.
I wonder if being selected as a Crap Car by that lot will actually improve the status of the 50 cars listed.

I received that one a year ago. Leafed through part of it, don't remember if I threw it in the recyclable bin or the discardable. Didn't think it was worth the effort to turn all the pages, based on a sample of insightless and apparently gossip-derived evaluations.

Next...

#5565 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:56

Help me out here, as we enter Indy Centenary year. I have but one book on Indy, an ebay mistake by Bill Holder called The History of the Indianapolis 500. A handful of pages on the history, lots of contemporary images (published in early 90s), photo caption howlers ... deeply dissatisfying.

What is the authoritative work on Indy - and what should I be paying? I see there's something in the pipeline about British drivers at Indy. What other books are being published to mark the centenary?

Happy new year.

Paul

#5566 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 42 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 13:44

Help me out here, as we enter Indy Centenary year. I have but one book on Indy, an ebay mistake by Bill Holder called The History of the Indianapolis 500. A handful of pages on the history, lots of contemporary images (published in early 90s), photo caption howlers ... deeply dissatisfying.

What is the authoritative work on Indy - and what should I be paying? I see there's something in the pipeline about British drivers at Indy. What other books are being published to mark the centenary?

Happy new year.

Paul

There are a few good Indianapolis 500 books that I've read and they're generally quite well priced on Amazon. You mention Ian Wagstaff's 'The British at Indianapolis' which was published by Veloce in late 2010 and I found it a very good and reasonably entertaining read. The British heyday may be seen as the mid 60's or now, but I found the sections on the car constructors from the 70's through to the 90's most interesting.

Other books you may consider and are well worth reading are 'Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500' by Rick Shaffer (he also did the 'Autocourse CART 1979-1998' review book) and 'Indianapolos Motor Speedway' by R. Kamer published by Krause (from the US).

Colin

#5567 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 15:54

Paul:
One of the best Indy 500 books is Indianapolis 500 Chronicle by Rick Popely with help by L. Spencer Riggs: a 415-page coverage of all races from 1909 till 1998. Published in 1998 by Publications International in Lincolnwood, Illinois.

Terrific coverage with knowledgeable write-up and photos of the all grid positions for each year, from 1958 on in color. The results list everything you could possibly want to know: car number, driver, car, entrant, engine, cyl, displacement, color, qualifying speed, start position, finish position, laps, speed and reason out.

#5568 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 983 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:00

Paul:
One of the best Indy 500 books is Indianapolis 500 Chronicle by Rick Popely with help by L. Spencer Riggs: a 415-page coverage of all races from 1909 till 1998. Published in 1998 by Publications International in Lincolnwood, Illinois.

Terrific coverage with knowledgeable write-up and photos of the all grid positions for each year, from 1958 on in color. The results list everything you could possibly want to know: car number, driver, car, entrant, engine, cyl, displacement, color, qualifying speed, start position, finish position, laps, speed and reason out.

Thanks Jerry!!

and all seen for $1.- (plus p&P) at amazon...

regards Michael

#5569 speedman13

speedman13

• 228 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:07

Hi,

Cheers
Mark

I received it for Christmas and found it quite interesting.
I would like to see the bits Bernie insisted were removed.

#5570 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 18:24

I would like to see the bits Bernie insisted were removed.

Wouldn't we all, and it would be interesting to even know what these excised parts referred to, especially as Bernie is reported to have told Susan Watkins when she took on the job, that she had completely free reign, with access to any material that she wanted to use. Surely Mr Ecclestone doesn't have any skeletons left in any of his cupboards?

#5571 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:15

I read somewhere that Anthony Prtichard has a Palawan book in the works, but I can't remember the subject matter. Does anyone have details?

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 05 January 2011 - 05:17.

#5572 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,894 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:12

Surely Mr Ecclestone doesn't have any skeletons left in any of his cupboards?

If there are, then perhaps Tom Bower's forthcoming book will winkle them out...

#5573 Puntataco

Puntataco

• 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:40

Dear All,

How do you rate the Encyclopedia of F-1 by Pierre Menard and did you heard any rumours that a new edition will come out this year?
Was thinking if I should get it...

regards,

#5574 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 13:19

I read somewhere that Anthony Prtichard has a Palawan book in the works, but I can't remember the subject matter. Does anyone have details?

Thanks.

Jack

Hi Jack, according to their latest brochure, Palawan will announce details on Anthony Pritchard's new book soon. It's called Racers, and covers the reminiscences of (mostly amateur) drivers from the 1950, '60 and '70. As usual, there will be a cheapo and an exclusive leather bound version of the book. Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by continental, 05 January 2011 - 14:00.

#5575 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 20:37

If there are, then perhaps Tom Bower's forthcoming book will winkle them out...

Well, hopefully. It's a while since I read his "Broken Dreams" book about football's wrongdoings; whilst it was good, it didn't really tell you anything that you weren't already (probably) aware of and I have to wonder just how far he will go with BCE.

#5576 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 21:07

Paul:

There are a few good Indianapolis 500 books that I've read and they're generally quite well priced on Amazon. You mention Ian Wagstaff's 'The British at Indianapolis' which was published by Veloce in late 2010 and I found it a very good and reasonably entertaining read. The British heyday may be seen as the mid 60's or now, but I found the sections on the car constructors from the 70's through to the 90's most interesting.

Other books you may consider and are well worth reading are 'Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500' by Rick Shaffer (he also did the 'Autocourse CART 1979-1998' review book) and 'Indianapolos Motor Speedway' by R. Kamer published by Krause (from the US).

Colin

Jerry. Colin

Thanks, both, very much indeed. These will fill a hole I should have addressed a long time ago.

Rgds

Paul

#5577 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 00:53

Hi Jack, according to their latest brochure, Palawan will announce details on Anthony Pritchard's new book soon. It's called Racers, and covers the reminiscences of (mostly amateur) drivers from the 1950, '60 and '70. As usual, there will be a cheapo and an exclusive leather bound version of the book. Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Mick

Thanks, Mick. That's the information I was looking for. (Although I haven't yet seen a "cheapo" version of anything with the Palawan logo!)

Jack

#5578 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:30

I had my eyes on the new 3 tome LM book , but with some doubts due to the high price and my little interest for the early years. I can now understand that this book set is "only" a complete book on pictures of the participants , appearently.

So I bought Quintin Spurrings 1960-69 book , which though neither complete in my terms is very good with many good pictures incl. many I had not seen. Good value , and together with Sports cars in Camera (along the same lines) provides most of what I look for.

Add to this Steve Wyatts coming book The Pursuit of Victory 63-72 and Anthony Carters ditto 30-62 volume, plus Michel Bollee's La Maserati du Colonel (Maserati France/Johnny Simone) I am in for some greats I believe. Some of Bollee's books are only in French , but are in the line of "lots of often nonpublished pictures with captions"
so I can deal with that , though non-French.

#5579 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:06

Have any Americans here purchased Ten Days in Sicily? If so, how long did it take to receive your copy? Mine was shipped 30 days ago and I still have not received it.

Thanks.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 07 January 2011 - 01:06.

Advertisement

#5580 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:56

Hi,

Cheers
Mark

I've ordered a copy to read while on Jury Service later this month....

#5581 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 491 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 14:32

Have any Americans here purchased Ten Days in Sicily? If so, how long did it take to receive your copy? Mine was shipped 30 days ago and I still have not received it.

Thanks.

Jack.

Jack - well worth the wait, though...
Pre-Christmas I first (finally) bought a copy of Weekend Heroes and then ordered TDiS Sunday before Christmas. It actually did arrive via courier on the 24th, around noon !
So - I hope you do get it soon.

Ralf

#5582 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 14:42

I'll wait for No Angel, Tom Bower's book on BCE to appear next month before deciding if either is worth reading.

Don't think either can be up to very much though, not if Bernie isn't trying to take out High Court injunctions to stop them.

#5583 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,894 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 19:16

Just started reading the Susan Watkins one. A very warm foreword by Sir Frank Williams. Seems like it was about to be published in about 2001-2 but then a third party (Kirch?) got involved, and had it put off, Bernie refunded Susan Watkins her expenses and advance. It's coming out unauthorized, but with Bernie's permission. So far so conventional, quiet upbringing, Bernie the entrepreneur at school selling cakes at a profit, running a car arbitrage service when working as a trainee chemist for a gas company and moving into racing bikes then cars - funded by his business acumen. About to get onto the Warren Street days. Incidentally, he's almost blind in his right eye, never knew that.

#5584 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 23:40

The troubled gestation of Watkins' biography of Ecclestone can be seen in its multiple Amazon listings - note the differing publishers and publication dates.

#5585 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,894 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 20:52

Hm. Nearly finished the Ecclestone bio. It's in two parts, Bernie the racer and Bernie the businessman, the former is a fairly normal runthrough of his activities with Rindt and so on, includes his early life; the latter the machinations of television deals and suchlike. It's chock full of semi-hagiographic anecdotes about Bernie's generosity and pithy aphorisms - it looks like Bernie has never spoken a sentence of longer than twelve words - as well as some hints of some darker treatment, e.g. convincing Gordon Murray his share in Brabham was worthless and having him sell for a tiny amount. And very amusing over the million quid non-donation to Bliar.

But it leaves a number of questions in the air. How did Bernie get the 100 year deal with the FIA? How open was that process? There is a hint that he had an ally in his car trading days in Jack Spot - or was he paying protection? Roy Salvadori is convinced Bernie was almost potless when he bought Brabham and was rolling the bones - given that Watkins has told us Bernie was wheeling and dealing in property, turning a three figure investment in one to a £9m sale, is there anything to that, or is it, as suspected, mere negotiating bluster?

It might simply be a tale of a bluffer who does deal after deal after deal, who climbs the wealth ladder until he finds the ultimate deal. But there might also be a number of bodies buried. Bernie himself said "I've hurt people." Not sure that Susan Watkins is the right person to get through to those.

#5586 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 867 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:10

I am working my way through SHUNT (awful title) by Tom Rubython. Apart from the rather large number of false facts it contains (there are really many, which undermines many more), I am suprised about how the author makes quite an issue of expressing his dislike of and lack of respect for some of the people involved in Hunt's career whilst raving about others. That the former are apparantly the ones who did not (want to?) talk to him and the latter did, may just be a coincidence of course...

Anyway, what do you think of this book?

#5587 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,165 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 17:18

I am working my way through SHUNT (awful title) by Tom Rubython. Apart from the rather large number of false facts it contains (there are really many, which undermines many more), I am suprised about how the author makes quite an issue of expressing his dislike of and lack of respect for some of the people involved in Hunt's career whilst raving about others. That the former are apparantly the ones who did not (want to?) talk to him and the latter did, may just be a coincidence of course...
Anyway, what do you think of this book?

I'm getting towards the end of it, courtesy of my County Library service. The magnitude of one or two errors defies belief. I must admit it is "readable" but I can't really say I have learnt anything I had not already heard elsewhere (including from the works of Donaldson and Hilton). What I find nowhere, despite the length of this book, is any mention of Hunt's first visit to Antigua in his "widerness" period before the Hesketh hook up (not his honeymoon). Having met his then host and having been to the house he stayed in - and having met the same person again at a UK race meeting last summer - I must comclude there is information there for the asking and no one has ever asked...

#5588 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,878 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 22:04

Those of you around SE England (Sussex, Surrey, Kent) might find it worthwhile keeping an eye on local branches of British Bookshops (Sussex Stationers as was) - the company has just gone into administration, only ten months after an MBO. From what I've heard they owe a lot of publishers a lot of money, so I'd expect something of a "fire sale" in the next few weeks, even though the administrators are saying "no redundancies" at the moment. In the current retail climate, I really wouldn't expect more than a few of their stores to survive - and not as a chain either. :well:

#5589 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 998 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:07

Those of you around SE England (Sussex, Surrey, Kent) might find it worthwhile keeping an eye on local branches of British Bookshops (Sussex Stationers as was) - the company has just gone into administration, only ten months after an MBO. From what I've heard they owe a lot of publishers a lot of money, so I'd expect something of a "fire sale" in the next few weeks, even though the administrators are saying "no redundancies" at the moment. In the current retail climate, I really wouldn't expect more than a few of their stores to survive - and not as a chain either. :well:

Vitesse:

It might also be strongly suggested that readers support their favorite booksellers and publishers now. These are enormously tough times for these businesses, and if good books are to be continued to written and appear, reader support in the form of sales is absolutely essential. Don't wait for books to be remaindered or show up used and abused on Amazon. Buy and enjoy them now, so that more good books can continue to be created.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 14 January 2011 - 01:07.

#5590 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:38

I'll wait for No Angel, Tom Bower's book on BCE to appear next month before deciding if either is worth reading.

Don't think either can be up to very much though, not if Bernie isn't trying to take out High Court injunctions to stop them.

If you have not already done so get the 2003 book by Terry Lovell, "Bernie's Game: Inside the Formula One World of Bernie Ecclestone." As Pete Fenelon wrote on Nov 24 2003: "It's a superb book. Buy it. Probably not the last word on how Bernie's made his money, and not written by a racing expert, but it's as near to a definitive portrait of Bernie as we're likely to get while he's still alive."

For anyone in North America, you can get a used copy from the UK or Australia for a little as $15 total, including postage.

Mark
- - -

#5591 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 656 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:10

I fully agree with Mark's comments on "Bernie's Game". A well done view of the man, and an highly informative look at the transformation of Formula One from mainly a sport to predominantly a business. Superb.

#5592 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:13

Vitesse:

It might also be strongly suggested that readers support their favorite booksellers and publishers now. These are enormously tough times for these businesses, and if good books are to be continued to written and appear, reader support in the form of sales is absolutely essential. Don't wait for books to be remaindered or show up used and abused on Amazon. Buy and enjoy them now, so that more good books can continue to be created.

Frank

No argument there. Frankly the whole UK book trade is in crisis at the moment: Waterstones have just announced 20 closures - most of which I suspect will be ex-Ottakars stores - and British Bookshops is the second chain to have gone down recently. Logically they should have been a safer bet than Borders, who went with the "out of town" business model, having concentrated mainly on bookish towns like Brighton and Canterbury. But without knowing the full details, I'd suspect it's the old story of central buying and an unwillingness to let local managers run local bookshops - economies of scale only work so far and if you don't allow some leeway then you end up with a dull uniformity.

There are signs of an independent revival in some places - for example Bath now has two really good indies (Mr B's Emporium and Toppings) plus a new railway specialist, but none of them is in as prime a site as Waterstones and I'm sure a lot of Bathonians couldn't tell you where any of them is!

#5593 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 13:36

On the topic of severely discounted books, selected Poundlands are selling the IOM TT 2007 Review at the moment, seen it in at least 3 here in Scotland.

Admittedly it's a book I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

#5594 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 14:47

Vitesse:

Frank

I can agree to a certain point about supporting your local store, but it's litterarely at a price here in Denmark. I know of three motoring specialists bookshops in the entire country with a population of 5.3 million people. Last summer I payed one of the shops a rare visit to find a very fine book about the Sports Prototype Alpine-Renaults of the 1960s at a huge price - something like £100. When read I found the second volume covering the 1970s at a third of the price at amazon. A friend asked why I bought the first book if I knew it was overly expencive, only to answer that there were a faint hope of finding the shop next time I was in town.

Jesper

#5595 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 15:15

Looking at that from the outside, Jesper, I think that's quite a good number of specialists per head of population, really. Proportionally, that would mean about 35 in the UK - I doubt there are more than 25 left now and several of those are mail order only. I suspect the numbers for France, Germany and Italy would be even worse.

But I don't suppose your 25% VAT rate helps either: at least we still don't tax knowledge in this country (unless it comes on a CD or DVD!)

#5596 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 16:49

I had my eyes on the new 3 tome LM book , but with some doubts due to the high price and my little interest for the early years. I can now understand that this book set is "only" a complete book on pictures of the participants , appearently.

So I bought Quintin Spurrings 1960-69 book , which though neither complete in my terms is very good with many good pictures incl. many I had not seen. Good value , and together with Sports cars in Camera (along the same lines) provides most of what I look for.

Add to this Steve Wyatts coming book The Pursuit of Victory 63-72 and Anthony Carters ditto 30-62 volume, plus Michel Bollee's La Maserati du Colonel (Maserati France/Johnny Simone) I am in for some greats I believe. Some of Bollee's books are only in French , but are in the line of "lots of often nonpublished pictures with captions"
so I can deal with that , though non-French.

Dear Bjorn,
If you have a real interest in LM, I think you should give the new 3 tome set by Moity, Teissedre, Bienvenu and Bonté a second thought. I picked up my set yesterday from my local shop and I am deeply impressed. This is a magnum opus, a real labor of love! It's very heavy, so not easy to handle. But what an amount of info, not just wonderful pictures, but results and paddock info as well. And for the amount of work that the authors have put in, I think it's an absolute bargain. These tomes could be my books of the year.
Regards,
Mick

Edited by continental, 14 January 2011 - 17:28.

#5597 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 983 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 17:14

Dear Bjorn,
If you have a real interest in LM, I think you you should give the new 3 tome set by Moity, Teissedre, Bienvenu and Bonté a second thought. I picked up my set yesterday from my local shop and I am deeply impressed. This is a magnum opus, a real labor of love! It's very heavy, so not easy to handle. But what an amount of info, not just wonderful pictures, but results and paddock info as well. And for the amount of work that the authors have put in, I think it's an absolute bargain. These tomes could be my books of the year.
Regards,
Mick

Hello Mick, thank you--couldn't agree more!!

The photo of the hourly standings of the race is almost worth the price alone: here we have a print-out from a lorry-sized IBM (France) computer. For the first time the press got the hourly updates (as today) from a computer --but we are talking of 1958!!!!
And it's really a bargain. When you calculate the Spurring (hopefully) eight volumes and take the RRP from 40-45 GBP into account, then it's in the same region.
Another argument is when you are only interested in a special decade...

Best regards Michael

#5598 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 19:36

Thanks guys , it is partly a question of decades and money , but the word "paddock" might convince me ? But living in denmark will not make it possible for me to see the set. Also are the results with entrants or teams or both (or none) ?.

#5599 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 21:00

Vitesse:

Frank

Hear hear Frank. Best wishes to you and all specialist book-selling TNF-ers in 2011.

Will there be another Embassy Suites emporium in August, and will you be there?

Paul

Advertisement

#5600 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 21:06

I fully agree with Mark's comments on "Bernie's Game". A well done view of the man, and an highly informative look at the transformation of Formula One from mainly a sport to predominantly a business. Superb.

I've just bought Terry Lovell's "Bernie Ecclestone:King of Sport". From what I can gather most of it is the same as "Bernie's game" but it's been extended to cover his and Flavio Briatore's involvement with Queens Park Rangers. As a fan of the Hoops I'm looking forward to it and the one book kills too birds with one stone.

Steven