Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7718 replies to this topic

#5851 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 17:00

That seems a very low estimate. I would certainly never let my set go for that.

Jack.

Advertisement

#5852 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,745 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 20:13

There's some strange lots in there. Have a look at 23: the Cancellieri, Monkhouse, Scott-Moncrieff, Frostick, Sieff and Nixon books would easily top that estimate on their own if sold separately, but it's padded out with some that you can probably find for 1p + postage on Amazon! Similar situation for the Jaguar ones in lot 27. Yet lot 28 (Bentley) will probably go for well over estimate - a small lot, but not a dud among 'em!

#5853 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 162 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 22:08

Jack.

But it would be good to buy them at that price !!

#5854 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 22:00

Jack.

I can't help, but ponder, seeing the volume of books involved here that the question might be "Would your children?".

#5855 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:23

Details of how to get hold of Enzo Ferrari's Secret War by TNFer David Manton are now available as below:

http://www.ferrarise...ar.com/buy.html

#5856 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:37

I can't help, but ponder, seeing the volume of books involved here that the question might be "Would your children?".

Yes, there are far more books than normal at a Bonhams Goodwood Friday auction, and those first lots do look like a collection, bundled into themes.

Would my children...? Of course they will, with my blessing. When I'm gone, no one else in the family will read my books. Best by far that they (the books that is) go to a good home, and my kids get to have some fun with the proceeds.

#5857 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 16:56

Greetings, Paul. Yes, that does appear to be a collection broken into categories, doesn't it?

Last year I privately sold off my collection (>200 titles) of books about Porsche. I really needed the shelf space and the cash didn't hurt, either! Since we have no children I expect what's left of the library when I go will be given to a library or perhaps fill in some gaps in someone's (preferably a non-profit's) collection.

Jack.

#5858 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 16:57

Details of how to get hold of Enzo Ferrari's Secret War by TNFer David Manton are now available as below:

http://www.ferrarise...ar.com/buy.html

Done! (I hope it arrives in time for my trip this weekend).

Jack.

#5859 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 17:46

Yes, there are far more books than normal at a Bonhams Goodwood Friday auction, and those first lots do look like a collection, bundled into themes.

Would my children...? Of course they will, with my blessing. When I'm gone, no one else in the family will read my books. Best by far that they (the books that is) go to a good home, and my kids get to have some fun with the proceeds.

I think my son is looking forward to getting his hands on at least some of my books. I've tipped him off about which ones shouldn't go to a charity shop, but I expect to be around for a good while yet......

Advertisement

#5860 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 20:13

Greetings, Paul. Yes, that does appear to be a collection broken into categories, doesn't it?

Last year I privately sold off my collection (>200 titles) of books about Porsche. I really needed the shelf space and the cash didn't hurt, either! Since we have no children I expect what's left of the library when I go will be given to a library or perhaps fill in some gaps in someone's (preferably a non-profit's) collection.

Jack.

This is all getting a bit morbid Jack, isn't it? But since you raise the point, a library or non-profit collection is a worthy destination. I will always be grateful to those who've gone before me and and left their collections to Brooklands' research library. That collection just gets better and better...

200 books on Porsche. If that's what you let go, I'd love to see what's left of your library!

Best wishes to you and Diane.

#5861 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,999 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 21:06

We had a thread discussing just this topic, ie what to do with your collection when you pass on. But I can't find it.
It's not only the books, which may have some commercial value (mine won't - they're all far too common), but the things like programmes and cuttings that are of value only to an enthusiast/ historian.

Edited by D-Type, 27 June 2011 - 21:09.

#5862 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:48

My point was that if you were willing to sell a copy of say, TATS, then you obviously have some interest in it's contents and might not be willing to let it go for a lower price. If however it is being sold after you've passed on, whilst they obviously want to make as much as they can, to a point the book itself is worthless and anything they get will be welcome.

#5863 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:58

We had a thread discussing just this topic, ie what to do with your collection when you pass on. But I can't find it.
It's not only the books, which may have some commercial value (mine won't - they're all far too common), but the things like programmes and cuttings that are of value only to an enthusiast/ historian.

http://forums.autosp...showtopic=93976

Is this it?

#5864 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:00

http://forums.autosp...showtopic=93976

Is this it?

I enjoyed reading that, thanks.

Send any beligerant ex-spouses and ignorant offspring my way - I'll won't even charge them!

#5865 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:53

Back, if I may, to Tales from the Toolbox. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of Michael Oliver’s recent offer to make available the last few limited edition copies, signed not just by him and Jackie Stewart, but many of the mechanics who contributed anecdotes. I’m glad I finally got off my bottom and bought it. It’s not as though it hasn’t already had ringing endorsements here.

But I realise I’m a snob when it comes to books. I’m a first edition hardback man, and generally avoid paperbacks. I’m so glad Michael encouraged me to make an exception.

In spite of it having too much Veloce marketing in it for my taste, I think it’s an outstanding book. No TNFer should be without it.

I’ve written a review of the book for SpeedReaders.info (http://speedreaders....ox&sentence=AND), and I also recommend Michael’s YouTube interview ().

Rgds

Paul

Edited by P0wderf1nger, 29 June 2011 - 17:08.

#5866 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:30

Never stop challenging

New fantastic and massive title on the Mazda Endurance racing history! Starting in 1968 (tin-tops) to the Le Mans win and beyond.
Written by Pierre Dieudonne, race driver and journo.
Great photos,superb print and layout . Appendices, technical chapters, results. Published by apach.be (Le Mans yearbooks)- Massive book!! Two versions-French and English

Here the amazon Link http://www.amazon.co...-...1427&sr=8-1

Also seen on other shops

Highly recommended

Michael

#5867 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,609 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:30

Back, if I may, to Tales from the Toolbox. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of Michael Oliver’s recent offer to make available the last few limited edition copies, signed not just by him and Jackie Stewart, but many of the mechanics who contributed anecdotes. I’m glad I finally got off my bottom and bought it. It’s not as though it hasn’t already had ringing endorsements here.
In spite of it having too much Veloce marketing in it for my taste, I think it’s an outstanding book. No TNFer should be without it.

An excellent review, Paul. I couldn't find it with your link, but I succeeded by going into http://speedreaders.info/ and searching for Tales from the Toolbox.

Like you, I cannot stand the vast quantities of promotional material which Veloce insist on littering their products with but, in this case, the content more than makes up for this shortcoming.

Edited by Alan Cox, 01 July 2011 - 09:41.

#5868 motorbookworm

motorbookworm

• 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:31

My point was that if you were willing to sell a copy of say, TATS, then you obviously have some interest in it's contents and might not be willing to let it go for a lower price. If however it is being sold after you've passed on, whilst they obviously want to make as much as they can, to a point the book itself is worthless and anything they get will be welcome.

These large lots of books are all the property of an author who is still alive - he offered his entire library around the trade a year or so ago, but there were no takers. The collection was massive and did contain quite a bit of fodder - which can be 'lost' in valuing a small collection, but not something this size! It looks like he has lotted the books himself - had he left it to the auctioneers it would not have been this organised!

I suspect that the bottom estimate of £200 is the reserve, which is still pretty low in many cases, and clearly some should (!) go for far more than this. It's impossible to pass an informed comment without seeing them, but many authors' collections have been well used as tbooks are very much tools of their trade, so they'd need very careful inspection. However, there have been extreme bargains at this sale in the past, so who knows.

It may well be the case that he would have been better selling to a dealer after commission and charges are taken off, but it will be interesting to see.....

#5869 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:41

Never stop challenging

New fantastic and massive title on the Mazda Endurance racing history! Starting in 1968 (tin-tops) to the Le Mans win and beyond.
Great photos,superb print and layout . Appendices, technical chapters, results. Published by apach.be (Le Mans yearbooks)- Massive book!! Two versions-French and English

Also seen on other shops

Highly recommended

Michael

I don't know why I look at this thread, every time it costs me money :rolleyes: Another book I've got to buy and smuggle past my wife !

Seriously, thanks for the tip :wave:

#5870 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:43

I don't know why I look at this thread, every time it costs me money :rolleyes: Another book I've got to buy and smuggle past my wife !

Seriously, thanks for the tip :wave:

Sorry Julian--it's absolutely worth when you are in Le Mans, Group C,etc..

No responsibilty taken for any family-related problems, which can easily arise...

Michael

#5871 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:49

Just for fun:

FERRARI book (Kraken Opus)--steelshelf recommended:

NO I won't buy it

Michael

#5872 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 162 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:53

[quote name='PRD' date='Jun 25 2011, 16:46' post='5128125']
Lots of goodies in the Goodwood Auction, especially a low estimate of lot 26 ;)

Gone for £1380 ...

#5873 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 575 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:51

Never stop challenging

Also seen on other shops

Highly recommended

Michael

The author should know a thing or two about his subject - Pierre Diedonné raced on and off for Mazda during the 1980s and was managing the 1991 Le Mans victory. That should be exiting enough, but I'd also look forward to the pre-history of this era and especially to see if or how much attention the Japanese scene has been given. Looking forward to my delivery!

Jesper

#5874 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 15:51

Lots of goodies in the Goodwood Auction, especially a low estimate of lot 26 ;)

Gone for £1380 ...

That confirms our suspicions that the pre-auction estimate was vastly unrealistic. This is a very strong price considering that one volume (Monocoques and Ground Effects) of the series is not included.

Jack.

#5875 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,999 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:44

That confirms our suspicions that the pre-auction estimate was vastly unrealistic. This is a very strong price considering that one volume (Monocoques and Ground Effects) of the series is not included.

Jack.

But Chaters or Hortons (can't remember which) had a copy on sale.

#5876 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:04

But Chaters or Hortons (can't remember which) had a copy on sale.

Still available on Amazon marketplace for £60

£1380 for the lot would be about right I'd have thought: £1000 for TATS, and £380 combined for the other three books given that Open Roads and Front Engines is out of print

#5877 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,110 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:57

£1380 for the lot would be about right I'd have thought: £1000 for TATS, and £380 combined for the other three books given that Open Roads and Front Engines is out of print

Coincidentally, the Chaters guy was discussing this very sale when I was perusing his stock at Goodwood, he thought that £1380 was too much, but apparently the buyer had missed other similar deals, and as others have commented, there aren't too many copies of these about.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...d=p5197.c0.m619

While I'm here, has anyone noticed this current lot on eBay? Not much interest up to now with less than a day left, many individual items like Pomeroy's Grand Prix Car are worth more than the whole collection has reached so far. They look fairly well used, but anything under £100 would be a real bargain I'd say.

#5878 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,012 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:47

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...d=p5197.c0.m619

While I'm here, has anyone noticed this current lot on eBay? Not much interest up to now with less than a day left, many individual items like Pomeroy's Grand Prix Car are worth more than the whole collection has reached so far. They look fairly well used, but anything under £100 would be a real bargain I'd say.

Typically I've already got most of the high-value ones in this collection, but there are a few that could tempt me. . . .

#5879 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,745 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 15:31

Typically I've already got most of the high-value ones in this collection, but there are a few that could tempt me. . . .

I suspect the two original and jacketed volumes of Pomeroy will send the price significantly higher. I don't see anything else there of any great value though. Nothing I'd really want that I haven't already got either. ;)

Advertisement

#5880 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,110 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 20:51

I suspect the two original and jacketed volumes of Pomeroy will send the price significantly higher. I don't see anything else there of any great value though. Nothing I'd really want that I haven't already got either.;)

I've just looked, and it's up to £155, which is the sort of level I'd have expected. Still a few hours to go though, so who knows?

#5881 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,745 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 20:59

I've just looked, and it's up to £155, which is the sort of level I'd have expected. Still a few hours to go though, so who knows?

High bidder is prepared to pay more though as there's already a back-up bid there from him/her. ;)

I reckon they'll go for somewhere between £250 and £300. Basically the retail price of the Pomeroys with the rest bunged in for free.

#5882 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,745 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:32

High bidder is prepared to pay more though as there's already a back-up bid there from him/her.;)

Back-up was £195. Now standing at £200, but that's just the standard £5 increment. All the bidders look to be dealers to me.

I reckon they'll go for somewhere between £250 and £300. Basically the retail price of the Pomeroys with the rest bunged in for free.

Still a comparative bargain at £200, but I stick with that prediction. :)

#5883 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:09

Back-up was £195. Now standing at £200, but that's just the standard £5 increment. All the bidders look to be dealers to me.

Still a comparative bargain at £200, but I stick with that prediction. :)

£216 + change at the death. A dealer would probably double that.

I did consider having a crack at buying them myself and flogging them on the bay, but decided the petrol and effort involved in collecting from Slough would take most of the profit

#5884 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:44

All the bidders look to be dealers to me.

You're probably right, but apart from the size and variety of the lot, what makes them look like dealers?

#5885 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,745 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:57

You're probably right, but apart from the size and variety of the lot, what makes them look like dealers?

The large amount of feedback they have. I doubt many non-dealers have made in excess of 2000 purchases/sales on eBay.

#5886 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 14:25

I did consider having a crack at buying them myself and flogging them on the bay, but decided the petrol and effort involved in collecting from Slough would take most of the profit

Same here and although I'm only 50-odd miles from where the "friendly bombs" were asked to fall, it seemed too much effort just to get the books I haven't yet got even though they'd effectively cost nothing.

#5887 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 963 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:18

Coming in September:

Porsche Bergsport: Europa-Bergmeisters... 1957 - 1969 von Jörg-Thomas Födisch, Rainer Rossbach, Michael Behrndt und Jost Neßhöver
EUR 29,90

On the European Hillclimb championship..Same authors as for the 908,917 books...

Link: http://www.amazon.de...

Best regards Michael

#5888 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 14:18

Same here and although I'm only 50-odd miles from where the "friendly bombs" were asked to fall, it seemed too much effort just to get the books I haven't yet got even though they'd effectively cost nothing.

My problem is different, being stuck in Scotland, many a good collection lot comes up on eBay, but only if I want a 600 mile round trip to get them.

#5889 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,110 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 14:46

My problem is different, being stuck in Scotland, many a good collection lot comes up on eBay, but only if I want a 600 mile round trip to get them.

Yes, but just think how many offers of cheap bagpipes and haggis Southerners have to reluctantly pass up for the same reason.

#5890 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 20:16

But don't you just love the imperfect market which is ebay?

I've been after a Ballantine paperback on Brooklands by an author I've not previously come across called PJ Wallace, primarily because I want to see what Whitney Straight has to say about the track in his foreword. Last week, I bid £25 for a copy and was outbid, the successful punter winning it at £28. Tonight, I picked up what seems to be a similar-quality copy ... for £11.51.

To the loser the spoils - at half the price!

Paul

#5891 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,745 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 20:26

I hate to tell you Paul, but I got a copy of that on eBay for about two quid! :lol: There's also an excellent one in the same series by Phil Hill called "The Racing Stutz".

#5892 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 21:01

I hate to tell you Paul, but I got a copy of that on eBay for about two quid! :lol: There's also an excellent one in the same series by Phil Hill called "The Racing Stutz".

OK, so now I don't love the imperfect market of ebay quite so much.

And to you I say ... to the winner the spoils!

Does Whitney have anything interesting to say about Brooklands?

#5893 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 597 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:43

Just finished David Tremayne's The Lost Generation. A book I can't find enough superlatives to describe. There must have been an incredible amount of research that went into this and I can imagine there must have been quite a bit of courage needed on Mr Tremayne's part to approach and get such frank answers from those who were closest and dearest to the three gentlemen in question. The narrative is fluid and runs in a nice chronological order, it also has it's humorous moments as well as of course as the inevitably tragic and sad conclusion.

Edited by Chris Bloom, 12 July 2011 - 17:07.

#5894 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 20:02

I just finished reading "Mr Big Healey", the official biography of John Chatham it says on the cover.
As a long time fan, one time owner and racer of a "big" Healey I found the book enjoyable and the stories of Chatham's behaviour on and off track entertaining. Chatham was not one for keeping records so his racing and rallying over four decades is along the lines of: "it was about 1966 when..." Keeping records was something I regret very much failing to do myself in my inglorious racing career--Chatham took it to a new level and even scrapped all the cups he had won! I was not aware that he took an ex Targa Florio Porsche 911 to LeMans in 1971 and the Porsche 917s were there of course-this meant setting a qualifying time within 10% of the 917s and Chatham " failed by 1/10th of a second". The 911 ended up in the back of his shop unloved until a friend came by and offered him two grand for it. Chatham accepted, the friend subsequently flipped the car for four grand it passed through the dealers finally selling for one hundred and sixty five thousand pounds within the year!
An interesting and enjoyable read if you are a Healey fan.
"Mr Big Healey:, Veloce Publishing, ISBN 978-1-845842-57-4

#5895 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 21:47

I just finished reading "Mr Big Healey", the official biography of John Chatham it says on the cover.
As a long time fan, one time owner and racer of a "big" Healey I found the book enjoyable and the stories of Chatham's behaviour on and off track entertaining. Chatham was not one for keeping records so his racing and rallying over four decades is along the lines of: "it was about 1966 when..." Keeping records was something I regret very much failing to do myself in my inglorious racing career--Chatham took it to a new level and even scrapped all the cups he had won! I was not aware that he took an ex Targa Florio Porsche 911 to LeMans in 1971 and the Porsche 917s were there of course-this meant setting a qualifying time within 10% of the 917s and Chatham " failed by 1/10th of a second". The 911 ended up in the back of his shop unloved until a friend came by and offered him two grand for it. Chatham accepted, the friend subsequently flipped the car for four grand it passed through the dealers finally selling for one hundred and sixty five thousand pounds within the year!
An interesting and enjoyable read if you are a Healey fan.
"Mr Big Healey:, Veloce Publishing, ISBN 978-1-845842-57-4

David, thank you for that rare thing on this thread: a book review, and a fine one at that!

#5896 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 22:01

I've been after a Ballantine paperback on Brooklands by an author I've not previously come across called PJ Wallace...

It turns out Mr Wallace was chief test plant engineer at Napier. He writes in a pleasing, informative style, and, as befits 'Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Car special book No 1', the book is heavily illustrated. In his foreword, Whitney Straight is notably objective about the circuit's demise -'a wise decision, I would say.'

But if you've got The Bod's History of Brooklands Motor Course and Venables' Official Centenary History, you don't need this.

#5897 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 995 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 00:33

David Bull Publishing plans to introduce Janos Wimpffen's new book on Elva at the Monterey Historics in August. No doubt this first-ever history of the car (and Frank Nichols) will appear at www.bullpublishing.com almost simultaneously. I've read the text and seen the photos, so I can tell you that the final product will be great!

Frank

#5898 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:10

"The Racing Stutz" from Ballantine was actually written by Mark Howell. Phil Hill did the introduction and the book is one of the best in the Ballantine series which sold for $1.00 each when published in 1972.

Woody

#5899 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 697 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:48

Sunset on Kyalami

On a recent visit to South Africa, I bought myself a copy of "Sunset on Kyalami" a book I had been trying to obtain in the UK for a while with great difficulty. I also, when out there spoke to one of the authors Gary Kegel about the lack of supply in the UK, he mentioned that he has not made any money on the book and has had no interest from the book in the UK.

I will be going back to SA in October and was wondering if there is any interest amongst the TNF group for this book, if so I can bring a few back or put you in touch with Gary.

Advertisement

#5900 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 17:20

Cheap, or rather less expensive copy of TATS here

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1c1c990c8f

He seems to be asking less than usual because of battered slipcase, although he describes the books themselves as "pristine"