• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#551 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 20:53

anyone seen this one yet?

Les Grandes heures de Montlhéry
Dominique Pascal avec la collaboration de François Jolly. Préface de JP Beltoise. Editions ETAI. 2004.

Advertisement

#552 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 22:24

Originally posted by dretceterini

Dominique Pascal avec la collaboration de François Jolly. Préface de JP Beltoise. Editions ETAI. 2004.

Haven't seen it, but Dominique Pascal's "... At Le Mans" series (Ferraris, Porsches, British Cars...) are very good photographic resources, so I'd assume this will at least be well illustrated!

#553 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:47

Apologies for rushing you down the aisle Sir! Ta for clarifying.

The fact remains that there are a number of 'survivors' from that era, and with the upsurge of motor racing nostalgia it seems a pity that their combined input will be lost.

Somehow I don't think it's going to be lost. With the ready availability of multiple means of publication, devoid of commercial considerations, there's certainly no reason, or excuse. All that's required is the willingness and knowledge.

Please start making notes Ian, if you haven't already, and do encourage the mysterious A.N. Other. But please steer him away from Lord Palawan, and his nefarious minions! (Aside: Wait till I get back from Burma ... Green-curried Palawan !)

AM

Ron: Nice one mate! Automated Spam Spiders prowl Forums and websites, constantly sucking up every Email address. They sell them on discs to spammers, who fill your inbox with hideous filth and junk.

Thanx to your advice in this thread, we've now got 'Strangler's and Smeggies' excellent books listed. Seven quid for 1000 classic Schelgelmilch photos ... ungelievabubble value! How refreshing to find an author who remembers poor Anoraks.

#554 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 18:44

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by petefenelon

Haven't seen it, but Dominique Pascal's "... At Le Mans" series (Ferraris, Porsches, British Cars...) are very good photographic resources, so I'd assume this will at least be well illustrated!

Just saw this book in my favorite bookshop this afternoon and it is indeed very well illustrated. For me the language is a bit of a problem, but the pictures definately make up for it.
In fact the whole book looks very good. It appeared to have a few photo's and text on every race in the history of the Montlhery-circuit. It made a very solid impression. Alas my budget for today was already way past it's limit, otherwise the book might have been mine already!

#555 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 23:50

Two errors in the Arron/Hughes "Complete Book of Formula One" (though they're right down in the noise, really).

On P198, Pete Lovely's 1971 car is identified as a 4 cylinder Lotus 69 - it was the 69/49 DFV-powered hybrid, the DFV clearly visible in the pic.

On the same page, poor old Max Jean is reversed - it'd be easier if the poor man just reversed his name ;)

Otherwise, I'm impressed, although some of the photos have been fairly crudely enlarged digitally.

#556 RX-7

RX-7

• 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 00:23

Karthik
I would suggest Nigel Macknights "The Modern Formula One Race Car, From Drawing board to racetrack". Excellent, for the all around understanding of what it takes to develop an F1 program.

#557 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 00:46

Originally posted by RX-7
Karthik
I would suggest Nigel Macknights "The Modern Formula One Race Car, From Drawing board to racetrack". Excellent, for the all around understanding of what it takes to develop an F1 program.

That was the one about the Lola-Ferrari wasn't it?

I think it's got a certain morbid interest to it, but really it doesn't say a great deal that you can't find elsewhere about the construction of an F1 car - it has some interesting things to say about aero/windtunnel work, a few interesting bits about some of the chassis construction and mechanical gubbins, but on the whole I didn't think it was terribly insightful, even at the time it came out.

Now it's 10 years or so old it's a lot less relevant - the sort of technology in the '93 Lola would barely be F3000 or Dallara-Nissan these days.

If you can find a cheap copy it's an interesting snapshot of F1 technology at a particular moment in time, and of yet another Broadley attempt at F1, but I think if you want to understand the design and construction of the modern F1 car something like Peter Wright's Formula One Technology is a must - although I must say I was a bit disappointed with his new book on the 2000 Ferrari, I spent half an hour skimming it recently (my local Borders must love me) and it seemed all a bit superficial and glossy. Certainly not good value for money.

Steve Matchett's first two books describe a lot of the "nuts and bolts" of how the guys actually go about assembling F1 cars.

#558 RX-7

RX-7

• 304 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:17

Originally posted by petefenelon

That was the one about the Lola-Ferrari wasn't it?

I think it's got a certain morbid interest to it, but really it doesn't say a great deal that you can't find elsewhere about the construction of an F1 car - it has some interesting things to say about aero/windtunnel work, a few interesting bits about some of the chassis construction and mechanical gubbins, but on the whole I didn't think it was terribly insightful, even at the time it came out.

Now it's 10 years or so old it's a lot less relevant - the sort of technology in the '93 Lola would barely be F3000 or Dallara-Nissan these days.

If you can find a cheap copy it's an interesting snapshot of F1 technology at a particular moment in time, and of yet another Broadley attempt at F1, but I think if you want to understand the design and construction of the modern F1 car something like Peter Wright's Formula One Technology is a must - although I must say I was a bit disappointed with his new book on the 2000 Ferrari, I spent half an hour skimming it recently (my local Borders must love me) and it seemed all a bit superficial and glossy. Certainly not good value for money.

Steve Matchett's first two books describe a lot of the "nuts and bolts" of how the guys actually go about assembling F1 cars.

Hmmmmm. I have to admit your right. The book is definitley "dated'. I thought it might be a good "starter" especially since it was as Mika would say:"Gizmo time".As far as the Peter Wright book ,obviously my collection is sadly lacking but I will correct this immediatley. Your suggestion shall be my next purchase. I wanted to suggest the Dymock book on Clark first,should have went with my gut. Thanks for the input!
I am doing more reading and book collecting than ever so a good tip is always appreciated!
Cheers

#559 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 20:54

Two errors in the Arron/Hughes "Complete Book of Formula One" (though they're right down in the noise, really).

Some other errors:
Page 14 Reg Parnell: not French GP
Page 16 Paul Pietsch: car and race to identify
Page 24 Chico Landi: the car pictured is not 375 V12 but 500 S4 2,5l
Page 41 Erwin Bauer: not Bauer but Hans Herrmann
Page 84 Troy Ruttman: photo shows Francesco Godia

Other likely errors: page 102,103 and 104, Chimeri, Munaron and Trintignant: not
Argentine GP race.

Did not read further than page 105.

Advertisement

#560 RX-7

RX-7

• 304 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:20

Originally posted by marat

Some other errors:
Page 14 Reg Parnell: not French GP
Page 16 Paul Pietsch: car and race to identify
Page 24 Chico Landi: the car pictured is not 375 V12 but 500 S4 2,5l
Page 41 Erwin Bauer: not Bauer but Hans Herrmann
Page 84 Troy Ruttman: photo shows Francesco Godia

Other likely errors: page 102,103 and 104, Chimeri, Munaron and Trintignant: not
Argentine GP race.

Did not read further than page 105.

I just bought that damn book!! I expected alot more, rather disappointing for the price.
I wish I would have spent it on another title.

#561 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,333 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:35

I have just received a review copy of Richard Williams's new book - 'The Last Road Race - The 1957 Pescara Grand Prix', published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson - ISBN 0 297 64558 7 - price £9.99 (in UK only) it says. A slim volume but typically readable and well-researched Richard plus a couple of dozen excellent Bernard Cahier photographs of this race - of which decent photo coverage is seldom seen. Good stuff - highly affordable and I believe you would enjoy it. DSJ always used to declare that "The best road car is a free one" - see what happens in the rare event of my receiving a review copy?

Regardless - this is seriously well worth considering, ESPECIALLY for less than a tenner... :up:

DCN

#562 Chico Landi

Chico Landi

• 155 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 15:24

Hi! I'll be soon visiting Paris and wonder if someone can tell me a good book shop there to buy Motorsport books, like these or the one about races in Albi.

Thanks in advance.

#563 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 17:04

The Monthlery book is not a history of the races but a photo book covering some important
or interesting races.
No results or tables.
The photos are big and show many odd cars and drivers.
But many photos are sepia :mad:
Also covered are the record attempts.
Also is the unavoidable photo of "Hellé-Nice" :yawn:

Chico: here are some shop adresses in Paris:

SPE
10 rue de la Procession
75015 Paris

Trame
83 rue de Rennes
75006 Paris

A&C
19 rue de la République
75011 Paris

#564 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:48

Originally posted by Doug Nye
I have just received a review copy of Richard Williams's new book - 'The Last Road Race - The 1957 Pescara Grand Prix', published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson - ISBN 0 297 64558 7 - price £9.99 (in UK only) it says. A slim volume but typically readable and well-researched Richard plus a couple of dozen excellent Bernard Cahier photographs of this race - of which decent photo coverage is seldom seen. Good stuff - highly affordable and I believe you would enjoy it. DSJ always used to declare that "The best road car is a free one" - see what happens in the rare event of my receiving a review copy?

Regardless - this is seriously well worth considering, ESPECIALLY for less than a tenner... :up:

DCN

Have just ordered a copy of this and Doug's forthcoming Jack Brabham book from Amazon for a total of £27.99 (£6.99 + £21 respectively)
Delivery dates for the two combined are anytime from mid-march to early april

Paul

#565 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:51

Originally posted by Doug Nye
I have just received a review copy of Richard Williams's new book - 'The Last Road Race - The 1957 Pescara Grand Prix', published by Weidenfeld & Nicholson - ISBN 0 297 64558 7 - price £9.99 (in UK only) it says. A slim volume :

DCN

That reminds me of the spoof review on "1066 and All That"

"a slim volume"- Bookworm

#566 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,108 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 16:23

Originally posted by PRD

Yes,I noticed this on one oft he bookshop ads in Autosport,and wondered if they had got it wrong. How could one justify a whole book on one race,with 16 starters? Title is also misleading-certainly not the last road race,not even the last F1 roadrace or the last Pescara one.
For the authors next project-'Air Aces of the Iraqi Air Force'?!!

#567 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,225 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 17:05

Originally posted by PRD

:rotfl:

"...vague..." - Vague

#568 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,333 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 20:24

Rob - I think Richard Williams regards Pescara 1957 as having been the last really hairy ---ed, non-urban, essentially unmodified (is this enough caveats?) public road circuit to be used in Formula 1 World Championship competition.

He weaves together a pretty interesting story around the race, illustrated by some nice (though small) photographs, and for less than a tenner it just seems impolite to carp.

Compared to 'Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators' by Ronnie Much it's a cross between Len Tolstoy, Bill Shakespeare, Chas Dickens and St Paul the Apostle. Spare it a look...

DCN

#569 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 23:26

Originally posted by Rob29
Yes,I noticed this on one oft he bookshop ads in Autosport,and wondered if they had got it wrong. How could one justify a whole book on one race,with 16 starters? Title is also misleading-certainly not the last road race,not even the last F1 roadrace or the last Pescara one.

Peter Garnier produced a very fine book entitled 16 on the grid about the 1963 GP de Monaco.

I am unsure if this is a criticism of the genre or just the notion that this particular event is simply unworthy of such attention. I certainly plan to add this volume to my library in the very near future.

#570 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 21:18

Came back today from Retromobile with "Triumph and Tragedy", the Yves Kaltenbach
book on the 1955 sports car season.

Impressive work, well written and complete.
Great pictures and very rare colour photos.

#571 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 17:09

Just got a nice reply from Rob Golding about the Arron/Hughes Complete Book of F1:

Peter
You have just trebled the number of mistakes that we are aware of! Thanks
for your help. We very much hope we sell the first 13,0000 and manage to get
to reprint and correction stage.
Thanks again
Rob Golding

Marat, have you sent him your list yet? - sounds like they're on 3 errors so far and you could more than double their current count ;)

#572 dolomite

dolomite

• 950 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 17:59

13,0000 ? :drunk:

#573 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 18:18

Originally posted by dolomite
13,0000 ? :drunk:

Yerrs. I assume he meant 13000, which is still not a bad figure for a reference book....

#574 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 23:10

Michael Cox's book " Masten Gregory Totally Fearless Two Decades of Motorsport Through the Spectacles of the Kansas City Flash" is now available. Michael, AKA Joe Fan has done a really fine job in portraying Masten and his times. The book is packed with great photos, wonderful anecdotes and a lot of material never seen before. All in all, a real success for Michael. Congratulations! And at $34.95 it is reasonably priced. You can order from : www.mtcabooks.com

#575 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:43

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
Michael Cox's book " Masten Gregory Totally Fearless Two Decades of Motorsport Through the Spectacles of the Kansas City Flash" is now available. Michael, AKA Joe Fan has done a really fine job in portraying Masten and his times. The book is packed with great photos, wonderful anecdotes and a lot of material never seen before. All in all, a real success for Michael. Congratulations! And at $34.95 it is reasonably priced. You can order from : www.mtcabooks.com

:wave: Thanks Michael. :blush: I now have PayPal activated for U.S. customers and I am accepting International orders by mail.

I also mentioned this in another thread (not sure if someone already has because the search feature is down) but there is a fairly new book out by Don Radbruch titled Dirt Track Auto Racing, 1919-1941: A Pictorial History. It has some really good photos. One that stuck in my mind, as it looked fairly Mastoidish, was a guy flying through the air after being thrown from his car. The guy apparently survived.

#576 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 577 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 13:13

Is there any news about the update of the World Sports Car Bible, János Wimpffen's Time and Two Seats?

This update was mentioned at this forum sometime during 2003, but never heard about since.

Jesper

#577 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 18:42

"Totally fearless" arrived today. :D

Dark black cover but colorfull and gripping story.
Also here some good and before unseen colour photos.

#578 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 21:22

Originally posted by Joe Fan

:wave: Thanks Michael. :blush: I now have PayPal activated for U.S. customers and I am accepting International orders by mail.

Any chance of activating Paypal for international orders ?
I'd like to buy a copy
regards
Paul

#579 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 17:42

Originally posted by PRD

Any chance of activating Paypal for international orders ?
I'd like to buy a copy
regards
Paul

Paul,

I would love to utilize PayPal for international orders as it would simplify the whole process for everyone and increase my sales. Believe it or not, the International market is almost as big for this book as the U.S. one because many Europeans take their motorsport history very seriously. And Masten is probably a more recognizable figure to many overseas than in the U.S. However, the differences in shipping costs between US and International orders is fouling up the process. There is no way in PayPal to charge different shipping rates based upon the shipping address. Through PayPal, you can have variable flat rate shipping or shipping as a percentage of sales but it has to be the same for everybody. And my U.S. customers wouldn't want to pay the same shipping rates as someone halfway across the globe.

Supposedly, PayPal has "transaction-based shipping" which should mean that I can charge different shipping rates for a different item. However, my book is the same item. I may be able create variation of the "item" (i.e. Masten Gregory: Totally Fearless--International) with a higher list price to offset the difference in shipping costs but this might confuse buyers. And if an international buyer clicks on the normal "Add Item to Cart," that is intended for U.S. customers--then it is going to create more problems. I am still trying to figure out a way to pull this off but I have tried calling PayPal several times and gave up after being on hold for extended periods of time. I'll keep trying though.

One great thing that I did find out about PayPal is that you don't have to sign up for a PayPal account to utilize it for purchases. If you have a credit card, there is a special button, "If you have never paid through PayPal, click here" button that you click which bypasses the once required PayPal login. Then you just type in your credit card info and address like you would buying anything online using a credit card. This is fantastic for Internet merchants because Master Card and Visa merchant accounts have much higher fees and their special equipment is expensive from what I have heard.

:wave: Thanks marat!

Advertisement

#580 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 18:07

One great thing that I did find out about PayPal is that you don't have to sign up for a PayPal account to utilize it for purchases. If you have a credit card, there is a special button, "If you have never paid through PayPal, click here" button that you click which bypasses the once required PayPal login. Then you just type in your credit card info and address like you would buying anything online using a credit card. This is fantastic for Internet merchants because Master Card and Visa merchant accounts have much higher fees and their special equipment is expensive from what I have heard.

Actually accepting credit cards was going to be my next suggestion. I pay £15 per month and 1.8% on credit card transactions with a debit+credit card turnover of about £2000 per month. My impression from Barclaycard Merchant Services is that the rates are negotiable if you push them a bit. I don't know what the situation is in the US though. You could always surcharge card sales to help recover costs.

Normally I'd wait for Chaters to get the book, but in recognition of the work done and difficullties overcome by yourself in getting it written and published( as we have heard from time to time on TNF) I really feel that I would like to buy my copy from yourself and therefore make sure that you get the largest possible slice of the profit "cake".

I'm sure that many of my fellow TNF ers on this side of the pond feel the same. perhaps we should get together and send a bulk order !?

Paul

#581 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 18:16

This is certainly good news, since it's not possible to use PayPal from where I live, so I'm not able to sign up anyway.

#582 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 18:24

I don't think it is good news, GS - they still won't be able to give you a price for postage outside the US

#583 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 18:45

Originally posted by Rob29

For the authors next project-'Air Aces of the Iraqi Air Force'?!!

Iran-Iraq War 1980-1990

NAME - AIRFORCE (VICTORIES)

Ali Sabah - Iraqi Air Force (3)
Omar Goben - Iraqi Air Force (2)
Ahmed Salah - Iraqi Air Force (2)

:smoking:

#584 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 19:19

Originally posted by Marcel Visbeen

Iran-Iraq War 1980-1990

Shouldn't this be on the WATN thread..... :rotfl:

Ron

#585 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 19:35

Originally posted by PRD

I'm sure that many of my fellow TNF ers on this side of the pond feel the same. perhaps we should get together and send a bulk order !?

Paul

First, let me see what I can come up. I think I might be able to come up with a solution in PayPal and if it creates problems or confusion, I can always can it. But it will have to wait until the weekend when I have the time to devote creating all of this.

Originally posted by Geza Sury

This is certainly good news, since it's not possible to use PayPal from where I live, so I'm not able to sign up anyway.

Yes, Hungary is not on list of countries in PayPal unfortunately. But anybody from any country can order the book via mail order if they have the ability to get a cashier's check or money order in U.S. funds. This is expensive in some countries and with some banks.

Originally posted by David McKinney
I don't think it is good news, GS - they still won't be able to give you a price for postage outside the US

No, I have postage rates already set for mail orders on my order page and a form to use. I just sent an order out today to someone in Sweden. It is just problematic to try to create this in PayPal for the reasons I stated earlier. PayPal is great but it still has limitations. Maybe I should have written a book on a NASCAR driver instead, then I wouldn't have these problems. :D

#586 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 20:16

Yes, Hungary is not on list of countries in PayPal unfortunately. But anybody from any country can order the book via mail order if they have the ability to get a cashier's check or money order in U.S. funds. This is expensive in some countries and with some banks.

I must have misunderstood something. I thought that without the need of signing up, anyone could pay with his Mastercard even from those countries, which are not on the list of PayPal. As this is not the case, the only option for me is to send cash in a registered letter as the cost of acquiring a money order is much more expensive. Sending cash is not a problem though - I've sent money this way at least 25 times in the course of last year and the letters always arrived to the sellers.

#587 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 06:38

Originally posted by Geza Sury

I must have misunderstood something. I thought that without the need of signing up, anyone could pay with his Mastercard even from those countries, which are not on the list of PayPal. As this is not the case, the only option for me is to send cash in a registered letter as the cost of acquiring a money order is much more expensive. Sending cash is not a problem though - I've sent money this way at least 25 times in the course of last year and the letters always arrived to the sellers.

PayPal does not have Hungary and a number of other countries on their drop down menu, so I don't think there is anyway you can use PayPal unfortunately. I am not sure why this is, other than the fact that they have to be able to interchange currency or have some working agreement with the banks in these countries. I thought the creation of the Euro was suppose to eliminate these problems. So, it appears the only way to get the book from a non-PayPal country is through cashier's check or money order in U.S. dollars. Sending US dollars through the mail is technically illegal and somewhat risky but may people still send cash inside of birthday cards through the mail. I think they created this law mainly to prevent the mail from becoming a target for thieves and to relieve themselves (the U.S. Postal system) of any liability of lost mail.

#588 tonicco

tonicco

• 133 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:37

PayPal does not have Hungary and a number of other countries on their drop down menu, so I don't think there is anyway you can use PayPal unfortunately.
(sniped)
I thought the creation of the Euro was suppose to eliminate these problems.

Hungary is not yet a member of the EU, but it will be after May 1st. Only after that they will be entering the Euro zone. Maybe it will be possible to use PayPal then. ;)

#589 gerrit stevens

gerrit stevens

• 248 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:23

Originally posted by tonicco

Hungary is not yet a member of the EU, but it will be after May 1st. Only after that they will be entering the Euro zone. Maybe it will be possible to use PayPal then. ;)

Entering the EU does not necessarily mean entering the Euro zone. Britain still has her Pound. I don't know if Hungary will change it's currency.

Gerrit Stevens

#590 tonicco

tonicco

• 133 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 12:40

Originally posted by gerrit stevens

Entering the EU does not necessarily mean entering the Euro zone. Britain still has her Pound. I don't know if Hungary will change it's currency.

Gerrit Stevens

Gerrit,

My point was made in order to clarify that Hungary was not yet part of the EU and therefore the Euro would not possibly help "to eliminate these problems".

And even if it's true that the UK is still out of the Euro zone, I believe that Hungary has every intention to change their currency as soon as they can...

#591 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 00:59

MichaelCox / Joe Fan

You really need an agent / satellite selling operation somewhere on this side of the pond. the market is there as Masten 's approach to life appealed to Europeans. I would offer my servces but in this field I know even less than my signature suggests. Yes, a negative value can occur - the implication is that I make anything worse if I touch it. True - if you believe my wife regarding jobs I have doen around the house, etc.

Traditionally I believe the Netherlands is a popular choice (Time-Life, Mitsubishi, etc) for a European base. Good English, competititive postal rate, entrepenurial attitude, etc. Any volunteers?

I am definitely going to buy your book once I work out a way of not paying third parties extortionate amounts for doing 2/5 of sodall.

Anorak Man,

I love your idea of barbecued/ curried/ stir fried Palawan* .
Have you seen the way that they are selling Smokey Yunick's book -
(a) Numbered hardback 3-volume set at lotsa $$$$.
(b) Unnumbered softback 3-volume set at just about affordable $$.
© And now, two years later, a single volume without the some of the pictures at a definitely affordable price. All we need now is someone in Europe to stock it - Chaters, Eouin (?), etc?

Geza, tonicco, etc

I fully appreciate how isolated you must feel in , is it still correct to say, eastern Europe, where you are even more cash-strapped than we in Britain and have even less access to readily available material. However you are better placed than our friends in India and other places 'east of Suez' who essentially do not have accessmto anything other than the Internet.

* For those who haven't been following this, a Palawan is an upmarket pheasant and Palawan Publicatioos publish books that we woukld love to buy but can't possibly afford

#592 tonicco

tonicco

• 133 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 15:08

Originally posted by D-Type
Geza, tonicco, etc

I fully appreciate how isolated you must feel in , is it still correct to say, eastern Europe, where you are even more cash-strapped than we in Britain and have even less access to readily available material. However you are better placed than our friends in India and other places 'east of Suez' who essentially do not have accessmto anything other than the Internet.

D-Type,

Altough sometimes I feel isolated ;) I must confess that I live on the other side of Europe. In fact, I do live on the Westerner point of the European mainland, near Cascais, Portugal. :lol:

#593 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 21:26

D-Type,

Altough sometimes I feel isolated ;) I must confess that I live on the other side of Europe. In fact, I do live on the Westerner point of the European mainland, near Cascais, Portugal. :lol:

:o

If I'm going to get something wrong at least I get it really wrong!

Please accept my heartfelt apologies

#594 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 14:39

Originally posted by Marcel Visbeen

Iran-Iraq War 1980-1990

:smoking:

Thought you have to have 5 kills to be an "Ace" ;)

#595 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 17:12

My point was made in order to clarify that Hungary was not yet part of the EU and therefore the Euro would not possibly help "to eliminate these problems".

And even if it's true that the UK is still out of the Euro zone, I believe that Hungary has every intention to change their currency as soon as they can...

Hungary plans to enter the Euro zone in 2008 at earliest...

#596 Steve L

Steve L

• 241 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 19:09

Picked up a nice book yesterday at the International Historic Motorsport Show.

It is called " Race Against The Odds" by Kevin Desmond and tells the story of the Miss England 2 water speed record boat piloted by Sir Henry Segrave and Kaye Don.

Published as a small format softback by Sigma Press, it seems very good value at £9.95 and contains a fair few photos too.

#597 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:07

Originally posted by D-Type
MichaelCox / Joe Fan

You really need an agent / satellite selling operation somewhere on this side of the pond. the market is there as Masten 's approach to life appealed to Europeans. I would offer my servces but in this field I know even less than my signature suggests. Yes, a negative value can occur - the implication is that I make anything worse if I touch it. True - if you believe my wife regarding jobs I have doen around the house, etc.

Traditionally I believe the Netherlands is a popular choice (Time-Life, Mitsubishi, etc) for a European base. Good English, competititive postal rate, entrepenurial attitude, etc. Any volunteers?

I am definitely going to buy your book once I work out a way of not paying third parties extortionate amounts for doing 2/5 of sodall.

Ideally, I would strike a deal with someone across the pond to sell some of my books, and I orginally intended to do so. However, with 20-25% of my copies being unsaleable due to a poor printing of the first photo insert (I have Masten in caucasian, mediterrian and african-decent), this reduction in saleable copies limits how many I can peddle to book retailers (and in case anyone is worried, I check every copy to make sure it is saleable).

Overall, my goal is first, to make back the money I shelled out for the project. Then after I get my money back, I am sure I would be willing to have someone else sell copies to take some of the burden off me. But for now, I have to sell as many as I can because book retailers/wholesalers want anywhere 40-55% discount and I don't have a high enough markup or large enough print run to make large scale sales to book retailers/wholesalers feasible.

BTW, I have come up with a fix to the PayPal shipping problem by including the insurance of the book into the book price. If your country is on the drop down list of PayPal countries, you can purchase the book with a Visa or Master Card without PayPal registration on my order page: www.mtcabooks.com/order.html or simply mtcabooks.com/order.html if your browser pulls back "Page cannot be displayed," which happens for some odd reason in the early morning hours U.S time. If you are outside of the U.S., be sure you use use the PayPal "Add to Cart" button located under the "International Orders" section.

#598 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 17:14

I have just placed an order for the Masten Gregory book by following the instructions in Joe Fan's final paragraph and paying by credit card via PayPal.

I had no problems, the instructions were easy to follow and it all appears to have worked perfectly.

Now I am looking forward to seeing the results of the author's hard work.

#599 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 12:56

A History of Australian Speedway by Jim Shepherd

New magazine style book loaded with early pictures, Bugattis at Maroubra, solo motorcyles under lights at the SCG in 1902, Miss Marie Jenkins leading the field in her Bugatti, Australian Championship at Penrith 1936, Frank Klenig, Norman "wizard" Smith, Fronty Fords, Perkolilli etc etc etc

Controversial in that it challenges popular beliefs re the origins of Speedway in Australia

306 pages!! $22 !!

A good read so far!! :cool:

PS I have scanned the front cover if someone can post it for me (PM me)

Advertisement

#600 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 15:00

Pom Vol 1 and Vol 2 available on e-bay now as one lot at £102 when I last looked !

Paul