Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7844 replies to this topic

#5951 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 14:15

There have been three editions of the Fox book published in 1967, 1975, and 1984. I believe that a 4th edition was planned for publication in 1994, but I have never found any evidence that it actually exists. I have all three editions, and the latest (1984) has the best photo reproduction.

If it is the small photos of every starter that you are interested in, another and arguably better source is "Indianapolis 500 Chronicle" by Popely and Riggs. It contains the same official photos (still small size), better quality than any of the Fox books, and in color starting in 1958. It's also easily available and cheap. Here's the link to the relevant amazon page.

Edit -- I just noticed that B squared does own a copy of the 1994 edition, so I guess it does exist! Also, I was not aware of two early editions in 1967 and (I guess) 1968.

Edited by helioseism, 12 August 2011 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#5952 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 16:17

Do the later editions contain all the pictures of the previous editions, or have some fallen through the "cracks" - I'm particularly interested in the photos of the non-starters!

#5953 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 18:30

Do the later editions contain all the pictures of the previous editions, or have some fallen through the "cracks" - I'm particularly interested in the photos of the non-starters!

The non-starters are in the 1984 edition, at least.

#5954 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 18:38

Frank, you have the two previous editions, too - could you check for me, please, if all the pictures in the earlier books are in the '84 edition? No need to go through every pic in detail, of course: if the total number is the same, it should be all right.

Thanks.

#5955 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 20:08

Frank, you have the two previous editions, too - could you check for me, please, if all the pictures in the earlier books are in the '84 edition? No need to go through every pic in detail, of course: if the total number is the same, it should be all right.

Thanks.

Sure, but it will be later this weekend.

#5956 Alfieri

Alfieri

• 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 20:24

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Your guidance has been very useful.

#5957 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:41

Thanks.

Hi Michael -
I've compared the three books, and yes, all of the non-starter photos in the 1967 and 1975 editions are in the 1984 edition. Can't help you on the 1994 edition, as I have not managed to find one yet!

#5958 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,189 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:00

you have the two previous editions, too - could you check for me, please, if all the pictures in the earlier books are in the '84 edition? No need to go through every pic in detail, of course: if the total number is the same, it should be all right.

I checked the non-starters page by page in my 1967 printed edition (covers the 1966 race) and my 1994 printed edition (covers the 1994 race) and they are identical in layout and cars/drivers named and pictured.

The 1994 cover for helioseism. I haven't seen many myself, but that probably means little about their availibility.

Posted Image

#5959 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:24

The 1994 cover for helioseism. I haven't seen many myself, but that probably means little about their availibility.

Thanks, Brian!!

Advertisement

#5960 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,271 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 13:40

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Your guidance has been very useful.

Seconded. :)

#5961 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 17:06

I have just received my copy of this fine book purchased from AMAZON Canada for $12.66 Canadian so if anyone is interested purchasing this book do it now before Amazon discovers the mistyped price. It was out of stock when I ordered it a month ago but they did deliver my copy at that price.

http://www.amazon.ca...W...7306&sr=1-3

Based upon my Amazon wishlist, this book is the first one I have found with a misquoted price. Are there any others that are mispriced?

Edited by VWV, 15 August 2011 - 19:58.

#5962 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,082 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:25

They've cottoned on. The [low] price has gone and they currently don't have any price shown and simply say it isn't available yet.

#5963 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 19:08

Does anyone know this book? Is it any good?

http://www.amazon.co...p...7892&sr=1-1

#5964 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,409 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 21:22

They've cottoned on. The [low] price has gone and they currently don't have any price shown and simply say it isn't available yet.

Yep, they're onto it. They just sent me an email saying they couldn't restock the book or complete my order. No mention of a pricing error, of course....

Jack

#5965 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 15:45

The Elva book by János Wimpffen is now up on the David Bull website: Link

#5966 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 16:08

As one of the Elva book's editors (full disclosure), I can tell you that it is fascinating and very complete, as you might expect from the author and publisher. All of the photos are from the era. It just feels good to finally see an Elva book! Now, would one of you please get busy on a Mercer book?

Frank

#5967 sheppane

sheppane

• 46 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:53

Donald Campbell, Bluebird And The Final Record Attempt by Neil Sheppard

This is the fully illustrated story of Donald Campbell's last courageous attempt to take the world water speed record beyond 300 mph.

The book covers the background to the attempt, Campbell, who driven by a desire to establish a high profile enterprise to boost his public perception, and with it, publicise his plans for a supersonic rocket car, to keep Britain at the forefront of engineering endeavour, as well as his desire to kick start his nascent Bluebird Marine boat business which he planned to launch to the world in early 1967. A pictorial record details the modifications and re-engineering of his iconic jet boat boat, Bluebird K7, in which he had set 7 previous water speed records, the preparations and trials at Coniston in the Lake District in the winter of 1966 where the team endured endless mechanical setbacks and foul weather, the financial and emotional pressure Campbell was under, the high speed, but unobserved runs on Christmas Day and the final attempt that ended in tragedy when ultimate success seemed to be only seconds away.

The book illustrates the story of the last 7 months in the life of Britain's last true speed king – a superstitious, complex and above all, supremely brave individual who was driven by the desire to keep Britain at the top of engineering endeavour and to prove himself worthy of the mantle of his illustrious record breaking father.

The account concludes with a full scientific and engineering analysis of the last two runs that Campbell and Bluebird made, and with the use of material never before placed in the public domain, presents new evidence as to the probable causes of the crash.

256 pages with over 300 spectacular b&w and colour illustrations, most of which have never been published before.
Published by The History Press
ISBN 978 0 7524 5973 8
Cost £30.00

Please see the following for further details:

http://www.bluebirdk7.com

http://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7

#5968 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 16:29

Anthony Carters 2nd book is close to delivery !

#5969 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 19:09

The Elva book by János Wimpffen is now up on the David Bull website: Link

One of my Facebook friends (it could happen!) said that at Laguna Seca Stirling Moss was signing a copy of the new book when Jay Leno walked up and said, "You look just like Stirling Moss!"

#5970 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,172 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 20:35

One of my Facebook friends (it could happen!) said that at Laguna Seca Stirling Moss was signing a copy of the new book when Jay Leno walked up and said, "You look just like Stirling Moss!"

To which he should have had the perfect response - copied from when a middle-aged lady in a headscarf exiting the driver's seat of a far from new Land Rover (outside the Sandringham village shop?) was accosted with: "D'you know, you look just like the Queen!". To which Queen Elizabeth the Second replied: "How very reassuring!".

Edited by RS2000, 21 August 2011 - 20:37.

#5971 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,726 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 20:57

Anthony Carters 2nd book is close to delivery !

http://www.veloce.co...d...Motorsport

#5972 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:54

I saw a copy at the Oldtimer meeting and it was very impressive.

Having looked at the David Bull website I noted the Publisher's Edtion of some existing titles and being away from my archive at the moment can anyone tell me if, signatures and dust jacket aside, these are any different in terms of content and photos from the originals.

#5973 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 13:03

I saw a copy at the Oldtimer meeting and it was very impressive.

Having looked at the David Bull website I noted the Publisher's Edtion of some existing titles and being away from my archive at the moment can anyone tell me if, signatures and dust jacket aside, these are any different in terms of content and photos from the originals.

The Jesse Alexander picture book Publisher's Editions have extra content as well as slip cases

#5974 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 14:25

The Jesse Alexander picture book Publisher's Editions have extra content as well as slip cases

Thank you for that.

I already have some of the JA books but out of interest I visted the website but there is no mention of any 'Publisher's Editions' that I could find.

#5975 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,088 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 16:19

Thank you for that.

I already have some of the JA books but out of interest I visted the website but there is no mention of any 'Publisher's Editions' that I could find.

Dear Paul,

they call it now 'autographed editions'..All info there.Extrapages etc.
http://www.bullpubli...ry.asp?catid=13

BTW: thanks for your new Formula 1 in Camera 1950-59!!

All are guessing: what next???

Regards Michael

#5976 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 17:24

Regards Michael

No need to guess

http://www.amazon.co...1...0172&sr=8-2

:smoking:

#5977 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 19:54

Dear Paul,

they call it now 'autographed editions'..All info there.Extrapages etc.
http://www.bullpubli...ry.asp?catid=13

Regards Michael

Your thanks are much appreciated.

Volume Two of F1 in Camera 1970-79 will include teams, cars and drivers not featured in the original work as well as the usual suspects.

Meanwhile my new website is up and running but still evolving and I can be found at <http://www.paulparkerincamera.com>

#5978 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,088 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:30

Your thanks are much appreciated.

Volume Two of F1 in Camera 1970-79 will include teams, cars and drivers not featured in the original work as well as the usual suspects.

Meanwhile my new website is up and running but still evolving and I can be found at <http://www.paulparkerincamera.com>

Thanks Paul--as you visit the 'Classics' in Monte Carlo and Le Mans--maybe we will meet each other??

Best Regards Michael

#5979 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:08

Thanks Paul--as you visit the 'Classics' in Monte Carlo and Le Mans--maybe we will meet each other??

Best Regards Michael

I will be at Monaco next year God willing and would be happy to meet you and indeed any other members of this forum.

Advertisement

#5980 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,088 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:42

I will be at Monaco next year God willing and would be happy to meet you and indeed any other members of this forum.

Dear Paul with the will of God and a GOLD creditcard (Monaco!)I would be happy to meet you. My wife and I are visiting both Monaco+ LM Classics.
Best regards Michael

#5981 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 699 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:50

Paul,

Will this volume have any pictures taken at the South Afican Grand Prix?

Edited by zakeriath, 24 August 2011 - 10:50.

#5982 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:16

Paul,

Will this volume have any pictures taken at the South Afican Grand Prix?

Each year every championship GP will be covered properly, the original book featured only the wonderful pictures of Rainer Schlegelmilch who in period did not attend the South African races.

#5983 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:50

Dear Mr. Paul Parker,

I love your books and I'm looking forward to buying your latest work. When will Volume 2 of Formula 1 in Camera 1970 - 79 be available?

Do you have plans for a Formula 1 in Camera 1990-99? Please? Pretty please?

More power to you sir.

#5984 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:22

[quote name='pinnacle racing' date='Aug 25 2011, 02:50' post='5239840']
Dear Mr. Paul Parker,

I love your books and I'm looking forward to buying your latest work. When will Volume 2 of Formula 1 in Camera 1970 - 79 be available?

Do you have plans for a Formula 1 in Camera 1990-99? Please? Pretty please?

More power to you sir.
[/quote

Thank you for your generous comments concerning my books.

1970s volume 2 will be sometime during 2012 but I have no plans to cover the 'modern' era as yet.

#5985 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:41

Dear Mr. Paul Parker,

Alas, no 1990's Formula 1 in Camera for now.

No worries. At least we have your Volume 2 of the 1970's book to add to our collection next year.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, sir.

#5986 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 23:29

Paul, I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Formula 1 in Camera 1960/69. Excellent excellent photos and wonderful captions of an era passed by.

#5987 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:05

Paul, I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Formula 1 in Camera 1960/69. Excellent excellent photos and wonderful captions of an era passed by.

Thank you.

#5988 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 17:28

There is a new Pete Lyons Book FAST LINES: Memorable Moments in Motorsports

http://www.petelyons.com/

[...]

I've had this book for a couple of days now. Difficult to find a reason to put it down; you know the next pages will be as poignant and evocative as those you've just finished. The articles are well-selected and easy to appreciate: Pete's writing is powerful but so smooth as to be transparent, and is both an inspiration - lovely to know the art can be done so well - and frustrating - another reminder of how unlikely it is that you'll be able to do it that way.

I was particularly affected by the back-to-back "chapters" on the two Hills. Each of them drew a lachrymal reflex.

Good work, Mr Lyons. I'd like to see your chapter on your own self.

Cheers and thanks,

#5989 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:33

Here's a great new Porsche book, especially interesting for 356 fans: Porsche By Mailander, a 384-page collection of the Porsche photography of Rudolfo Mailander, assembled and captioned by Karl Ludvigsen and published by Dalton Watson. From 1950 through 1955, Mailander roamed Europe in a 356, photographing Porsches at races, rallies, and auto shows with his Leica. Because he was a professional, the image quality is superb, and you'd never guess that the double-page spreads were shot on 35mm film. Besides Le Mans and the Monte Carlo Rally, he covered many other, lesser-known, events, and besides the obvious photos of Ferdinand and Ferry Porsche, he shot dozens of less well-known people: drivers, mechanics, race officials. The book covers only 1950 through 1955, so it pictures the Gmuend Coupes, the Gloecklers, the production 356s, the early 550 Spyders, and several specials, but it does so in really amazing depth.

The book, which comes in a slipcase, measures 10x13 and was printed in duo-tone, which enhances image quality. Yes, there is an index, too. Price is $149.95 for the English edition, and it's available on my web site, www.toadhallbook.com. (Because this is a heavy book, overseas shipping from the U.S. will be expensive, so those of you on the eastern side of the pond are better off ordering it over there.) A German-language edition is available via Delius Klasing. So far this is definitely the best--and most historically significant--Porsche book of 2011.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 31 August 2011 - 17:34.

#5990 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 15:34

I've had this book for a couple of days now. Difficult to find a reason to put it down; you know the next pages will be as poignant and evocative as those you've just finished. The articles are well-selected and easy to appreciate: Pete's writing is powerful but so smooth as to be transparent, and is both an inspiration - lovely to know the art can be done so well - and frustrating - another reminder of how unlikely it is that you'll be able to do it that way.

I was particularly affected by the back-to-back "chapters" on the two Hills. Each of them drew a lachrymal reflex.

Good work, Mr Lyons. I'd like to see your chapter on your own self.

Cheers and thanks,

My copy of this [Fast Lines by Pete Lyons] arrived yesterday and I spent a good part of last night leafing through it. As a collection of columns it has its ups and downs--on the one hand Lyons's personality and love for the sport shine through and the format works pretty well for his remembrances of drivers, but on other topics about the time the ball gets rolling we reach the 800 or 1000 or what-have-you word limit and we're left wanting more. The sheer breadth of the topics discussed and the great stories, whether hanging on as Peter Revson gives you a ride in his McLaren Can-Am car or finding Phil Hill in an Italian cafe and striking up a conversation, make me wish he'd just go ahead and write a memoir, say, on the order of Eoin Young's. That would be a great read.

Edited by red stick, 01 September 2011 - 15:36.

#5991 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 20:32

Recieved today Formula One in Camera 1950/59 and Races Faces Places

#5992 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,185 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 21:34

Recieved today Formula One in Camera 1950/59

Mine arrived last week and I can thoroughly recommend it though I think Paul may have got the AVUS North and South curves mixed up  ;)

#5993 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 430 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:41

Hello all. I've just read the biographies of James Hunt and Gilles Villeneuve by Gerald Donaldson. Really enjoyable reads. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some more driver bios?

"Jim Clark: Tribute to a Champion" is already on my buy list.

I'm particularly interested in Graham Hill. People have recommended his "Life at the Limit" but I'm looking for a book that covers his entire career. Is "Graham Hill: Master of Motorsport" by John Tipler a good read?

Are there any good bios of Keke Rosberg, Enzo Ferrari, and Colin Chapman?

#5994 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,237 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:19

Are there any good bios of Keke Rosberg, Enzo Ferrari, and Colin Chapman?

Nothing good on Keke as far as I know, a missed opportunity on an interesting and under-rated driver. I've read a couple on Enzo, and the one I liked best was the excellent book by Richard Williams, re-published fairly recently in paperback I think. On Colin Chapman it's more difficult, the 'family approved' work by Jabby Crombac is a shallow portrait of the man that appears to have been compiled by members of the ACBC fanclub. The later work by Mike Lawrence Colin Chapman Wayward Genius is very much better, I recognised the man that Mike wrote about, though it tails off rather towards the end, and the coverage of the DeLorean business is a little unconvincing, the book that really gets to the bottom of that particular can of worms has yet to be written, and probably never will be. There are also useful insights in Andrew Ferguson's Team Lotus the Indianapolis Years, Robin Read's Colin Chapman's Lotus, and Hugh Haskell's Colin Chapman Lotus Engineering. You wouldn't have to pay much for the rather superficial Crombac book, but the others can be difficult to find, I've seen astonishing prices being asked for them.

#5995 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,364 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:57

I'm particularly interested in Graham Hill. People have recommended his "Life at the Limit" but I'm looking for a book that covers his entire career. Is "Graham Hill: Master of Motorsport" by John Tipler a good read?

The definitive biography of Graham has yet to be written. The Tipler book is one of those "and then he raced at ..." ones and is really just a multiple cut'n'paste from other books and race reports, although it does include a very good career log.

"Life at the Limit" is a good read, but inaccurate in places: as I've posted before I believe it was written and published in a rush at the end of 1969 while Graham was in hospital after his big shunt at the Glen. Proper revision, fact checking and editing would have produced a much better book. His later career is covered in "Graham", a book which was finished only days before his death and includes a (heart-breaking) postscript chapter by Bette. Bette's own book "The Other Side of the Hill" is an essential companion to those.

Simon Arron's Autocourse Driver Profile is - like all the series - worth seeking out as a general reference: by no means in depth, but by no means inaccurate either ( :wave: Simon!) Finally, there's Tony Rudlin's "Mr Monaco": let's just say it's not my favourite book and that if I had to rate the six I've mentioned from 1 to 6, it would be number 7.

And - shameless personal plug - there's this too: http://www.forix.com/8w/ghill.html

#5996 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,721 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:07

The definitive biography of Graham has yet to be written. The Tipler book is one of those "and then he raced at ..." ones and is really just a multiple cut'n'paste from other books and race reports, although it does include a very good career log.

"Life at the Limit" is a good read, but inaccurate in places: as I've posted before I believe it was written and published in a rush at the end of 1969 while Graham was in hospital after his big shunt at the Glen. Proper revision, fact checking and editing would have produced a much better book. His later career is covered in "Graham", a book which was finished only days before his death and includes a (heart-breaking) postscript chapter by Bette. Bette's own book "The Other Side of the Hill" is an essential companion to those.

Simon Arron's Autocourse Driver Profile is - like all the series - worth seeking out as a general reference: by no means in depth, but by no means inaccurate either ( :wave: Simon!) Finally, there's Tony Rudlin's "Mr Monaco": let's just say it's not my favourite book and that if I had to rate the six I've mentioned from 1 to 6, it would be number 7.

And - shameless personal plug - there's this too: http://www.forix.com/8w/ghill.html

If nobody has mentioned it there is also the Philip Porter production Graham Hill Scrapbook 1929-1966.

#5997 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,792 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:38

On Colin Chapman it's more difficult, the 'family approved' work by Jabby Crombac is a shallow portrait of the man that appears to have been compiled by members of the ACBC fanclub. The later work by Mike Lawrence Colin Chapman Wayward Genius is very much better, I recognised the man that Mike wrote about, though it tails off rather towards the end, and the coverage of the DeLorean business is a little unconvincing, the book that really gets to the bottom of that particular can of worms has yet to be written, and probably never will be. There are also useful insights in Andrew Ferguson's Team Lotus the Indianapolis Years, Robin Read's Colin Chapman's Lotus, and Hugh Haskell's Colin Chapman Lotus Engineering. You wouldn't have to pay much for the rather superficial Crombac book, but the others can be difficult to find, I've seen astonishing prices being asked for them.

There's also Karl Ludvigsen's Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator, although this is more an thematic analysis of his engineering work than a straight biography.

#5998 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,364 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:49

If nobody has mentioned it there is also the Philip Porter production Graham Hill Scrapbook 1929-1966.

Indeed. Had I bothered to turn round in my chair I'd have realised I'd missed that out. :blush: So demote Mr Rudlin's book to number 8 ;)

I live in hope that we might see Graham Hill Scrapbook 1967-1975 some day.

#5999 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,237 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 14:39

There's also Karl Ludvigsen's Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator, although this is more an thematic analysis of his engineering work than a straight biography.

True, that is also highly recommended, as is Anthony Pritchard's Lotus - The Competition Cars, though not a great deal of 'Chapman the Man' content in either.

Advertisement

#6000 sprite

sprite

• 22 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 23:17

"Keke: An Autobiography" by Keke Rosberg and Keith Botsford. A few are currently available at abebooks.com.
I read it years ago and don't honestly remember if it is good or not. (although not remembering might be a clue)