Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7721 replies to this topic

#6301 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 20:56

One of the most disappointing books I've ever read, but at least mine was a library borrow. But Yates isn't entirely hopeless; as I pointed out in my Amazon review, if you've never read Sunday Driver, seek it out.

And that's what surpised me so about this book, I'd read some of his other stuff.....should have also said that the book was one of dad's that he no longer wanted/needed.....and I can see why.

Advertisement

#6302 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:01

You are not alone in your opinion. Apart from two suspiciously laudatory 5 star reviews (one by a Mrs P Meanwell!) it's been panned on Amazon. Comments include "slipshod"; "the quality of the proof reading is dreadful and the story is riddled with contradictions and inaccurate details"; "could have made a great read, but sadly didn't"; "could not wait to finish it for all the wrong reasons"; "a load of balls"; "great subject rather ruined by lumbering prose and that worst of faux pas, the overuse of words the author didn't check the meaning of."

That last one could probably be applied to Mr Rubython's entire oeuvre. It's only a shame that Pete Fenelon is no longer with us, since I'm sure he could have given this pile of steaming crap the review it really deserves!

Oh no..... :cry: this is another book that was at the folks'.....I saw it on the coffee table, dad had just begun reading it so I decided I'd go ahead and order it from Amazon. Paid $26 total shipping included. I'd read the Motor Sport review and figured what the hell....guess I should start checking here or the Speedreaders site....

#6303 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 21:05

Ok, well said Lauda/Hunt book arrived today and I've begun reading.
Uhmmm, hmmm....did Enzo Ferrari really go to Zandvoort for the '73 Dutch Gp qualifying sessions just to convince Lauda to sign for Ferrari in '74?
Did Enzo Ferrari ever leave Italy in his entire lifetime?
Oh boy.........gonna be a roller coaster ride.......

#6304 Herbert

Herbert

• 337 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 21:09

During the late 90s and early 00s there were some yearbooks published about the ISRS/SRWC/FIA SCC. I know that there was a yearbook about the 2001 season. But which other editions were published?

#6305 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 23:48

During the late 90s and early 00s there were some yearbooks published about the ISRS/SRWC/FIA SCC. I know that there was a yearbook about the 2001 season. But which other editions were published?

Well, there are these two:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6306 Herbert

Herbert

• 337 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 17:14

Well, there are these two:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks a lot!

#6307 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 697 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:39

Will be collecting a copy of

Kyalami – A reflection on the history
of the original circuit – 1961 to 1987

Posted Image

Any reviews on the book so far, the only comments I have heard is on the Kyalami original face book page and they have been all good

#6308 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,619 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:55

Publication of the autobiographies of Tony Brooks and Dr Tony Goodwin imminent
http://www.mrpbooks....#poetryinmotion

#6309 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,804 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 18:34

The section on the drivers though I though was a bit of a disappointment. I'm no Mansell acolyte, but I did find the blatant hatred of Mansell a bit excessive and perhaps should have been edited down by the publisher. I can understand that they didn't see eye to eye and we all know 'Our Nige' likes a good whinge, but at times some of the comments laid at Mansell's door are either unwarranted in the context of the book or are plain unfair.

Just got the book and skim-read through the Mansell section.

Warr goes into great detail about how it Mansell was outpaced by Elio in 1982 and 1984; he however glosses over 1983 as it being understandable that Elio wrote off the season. And of course omits the reliability problems that robbed Mansell of a win at Dallas and a second at the season's finale.

He also goes into great detail about how Mansell threw away the world title in both 1986 and 1987. Whereas his car won the 1992...

Although there's an element of unconscious self-awareness when he says "how Nigel went on to be so successful is a source of bewilderment to all those who knew him when he drove for us." Acknowledging that Mr Warr's driver-spotting talents were of such acuity that rather than try to poach Mansell in 1988 instead he contracted the egregious Messrs Piquet and Nakajima.

#6310 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,129 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 18:48

...he contracted the egregious Messrs Piquet and Nakajima.

Nakajima was a nice bloke, and you'd like Nelson if he'd come from Birmingham.

#6311 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,804 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 18:55

The pairing managed to do something that Lotus had never, ever done before - make Lotus miss a race by not qualifying.

Nakajima may have been a nice bloke but there were about three dozen better candidates for the Lotus drive. And Piquet was an accountant.

#6312 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,129 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 19:23

I'll be interested to read your opinion, ONCE YOU'VE READ THE BOOK PROPERLY!!!

#6313 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,804 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 19:29

Trouble with that is my reading list is about seven years long. :(

I estimate that, at my current book-purchasing rate, in 2019 my reading list will be longer than my life expectancy.

We need a moratorium on new books for the next three years. Apart from Tony Brooks', obviously.

#6314 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,843 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 20:01

100 years of British Automobile Racing Club

I just found this book:

http://www.thehistor...acing-Club.aspx

Does anyone know this or even has bought already?? Worthwhile??

Many thanks in advance

Michael

Spotted a copy of this in Waterstone's in Bath today. It was shrinkwrapped and I didn't have time to hunt out a member of staff to open it for me, but it struck me as being a very slim volume for 25 quid.

#6315 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 21:55

I estimate that, at my current book-purchasing rate, in 2019 my reading list will be longer than my life expectancy.

We need a moratorium on new books for the next three years. Apart from Tony Brooks', obviously.

:rotfl:

At least you've done the math. I'm worried if I stop to do it a date as late as 2019 will look good.

#6316 GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

• 98 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 23:00

The pairing managed to do something that Lotus had never, ever done before - make Lotus miss a race by not qualifying.

Piquet @ Spa 89
Friday = Wet. No chance for competitive times
Saturday - 1st lap ruined by engine problem. 2nd (and final) lap ruined by Grouillard punting him off

Can't quite see how Nelson was responsible for this non-qualification? Or how any other driver could have done better on that weekend in those circumstances. Maybe he was to blame for forgetting to take his lucky rabbit's foot with him?

Back on topic - another vote for "The Lost Generation" by David Tremayne. Very well written, well researched and engrossing. Obviously the chapters on the deaths of each are difficult to read, but thankfully there is no sensationalism. The sections on David Purley were fascinating as well. We certainly don't have characters like that in F1 nowadays.

#6317 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:38

And Inside Track

#6318 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,020 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:50

And Inside Track

Has a publication date been announced yet? (as opposed to promises, promises, ...)

#6319 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:00

Has a publication date been announced yet? (as opposed to promises, promises, ...)

I was tidying up old emails the other day and found one from 2007 saying I would be notified when "Inside Track" became available. I'm still waiting... But still hoping!

Jonathan

Advertisement

#6320 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:46

I was tidying up old emails the other day and found one from 2007 saying I would be notified when "Inside Track" became available. I'm still waiting... But still hoping!

Jonathan

The last rumored publication date that I heard was 2011, the 50th anniversary of Phil's championship year, with introduction at either the Petersen Museum tribute to Phil Hill, Amelia Island or Monterey/Pebble Beach. Obviously that didn't happen.

Email inquiries to the "official" Phil Hill web site go unanswered.

Emails to collaborator Steve Dawson receive no response.

I just assume that the book won't be published. If it is, then I shall be pleasantly surprised and an immediate purchaser.

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 02 February 2012 - 15:48.

#6321 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 21:44

At the Tribute dinner last November, I asked Derek Hill if he knew of the status of "Inside Track". He told me the scope of the book keeps growing.

That morning I had received a copy of Michael Cannell's book, "At the Limit" so I asked Derek if he was familiar with it. He indicated he knew of it (and the film option) but had not read the book.

The second edition of "Phil Hill: Yankee Champion" is currently out of print, save for a few slightly blemished copies I have. Details are at http://brownfoxbooks.com/ for those who may still want a copy.

Mark
- - -

#6322 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,774 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 21:52

I'm reading 'The Limit' at the moment and it's pretty decent. Also finished the Hunt/Lauda book and thought it was fairly entertaining.

#6323 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 22:47

At the Tribute dinner last November, I asked Derek Hill if he knew of the status of "Inside Track". He told me the scope of the book keeps growing.

Mark
- - -

What do you think he meant by that? My understanding is that it was to be a book of Phil's photographs from his seasons in Europe. Presumably it might take longer to complete since he is not here to explain or describe the context of the pictures. I'm just curious as to what else might be contributing to the delay in publication...lack of publisher, problems from the family or estate, etc.

Thanks.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 02 February 2012 - 22:53.

#6324 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:14

By scope I mean the breadth of coverage. Derek said the book has grown into a full biography (in addition to the 900 or whatever photos). The implication being that more and more time has been required. I hesitate to comment on someone else's project, but I know you are curious as to the status.

Mark

#6325 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:31

By scope I mean the breadth of coverage. Derek said the book has grown into a full biography (in addition to the 900 or whatever photos). The implication being that more and more time has been required. I hesitate to comment on someone else's project, but I know you are curious as to the status.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I'm encouraged that the project seems to be progressing and that it will be a more complete biography.

Jack.

#6326 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:53

For anyone interested, and who may have missed it, on the For Sale & Want forum 'magoo' is selling what looks like quite an extensive library of books, piecemeal or in bulk.
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=160725

#6327 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:15

Will be collecting a copy of

Kyalami – A reflection on the history
of the original circuit – 1961 to 1987

How does this book compare with the excellent Sunset On Kyalami?
Roger Lund

#6328 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,565 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:23

........it was to be a book of Phil's photographs from his seasons in Europe. Presumably it might take longer to complete since he is not here to explain or describe the context of the pictures. I'm just curious as to what else might be contributing to the delay in publication...Jack.

I cannot imagine that there is anything else to be done on the photo editing or accurate captioning by a recognised expert since, from my understanding of the situation prior to PTH's death, a vast amount of time and effort had been spent specifically on that side of the preparation. The size of the book and format had been decided, AFAIK, certainly based on the sampler, and the publisher was a given.
Roger Lund

#6329 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 15:41

Spotted a copy of this in Waterstone's in Bath today. It was shrinkwrapped and I didn't have time to hunt out a member of staff to open it for me, but it struck me as being a very slim volume for 25 quid.

Vitesse thank you!!

Motorsport March 2012 has a review (one of 'theirs'--you aren't really informed!!)

Regards Michael

#6330 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:50

The Official 50-Race History Of The Australian Grand Prix 1986

Is this book worthwhile having????

Regards Michael

#6331 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 18:18

Well I finished Martin Hines' autobio I got for a pound from poundland and it was excellent. Some great insider info about even F1 I never knew before.

It does get quite bitter towards the end though, a bit of a sour note really. And that man really went through hell in his life but also experienced incredibly highs. A great read.

I don't know if anyone is in London but I wouldn't mind getting rid of this book as I don't like clutter and if anyone wants it, they can have it. Or else pay me postage for it.

#6332 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 18:47

The Official 50-Race History Of The Australian Grand Prix 1986

Is this book worthwhile having????

Regards Michael

Yes! For a start, three of the authors are TNFers ... :cat:

A4 format on glossy paper, well over an inch thick, so weighs a ton. Copiously illustrated, comprehensive race reports and loads of information about Australian racing generally. One of the the best "one-race" histories ever produced, ranking with "Colour and Noise" and Matheson's "French GP 1906-14".

For a more general view of Aussie racing and motoring history, seek out Pedr Davis' "Wheels Across Australia" too. [edit: I see this is pretty easily available on ABE - but not for the price I paid! I picked it up for £1 in a charity shop :lol: )

Edited by Vitesse2, 04 February 2012 - 18:51.

#6333 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 20:55

Yes! For a start, three of the authors are TNFers ... :cat:

A4 format on glossy paper, well over an inch thick, so weighs a ton. Copiously illustrated, comprehensive race reports and loads of information about Australian racing generally. One of the the best "one-race" histories ever produced, ranking with "Colour and Noise" and Matheson's "French GP 1906-14".

For a more general view of Aussie racing and motoring history, seek out Pedr Davis' "Wheels Across Australia" too. [edit: I see this is pretty easily available on ABE - but not for the price I paid! I picked it up for £1 in a charity shop :lol: )

Vitesse thank you, and I must confess also awful news, as I have to buy it!!??Saw one at the retromobile at horton's for a 'hortune'...

Best regards Michael

#6334 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:10

Vitesse thank you, and I must confess also awful news, as I have to buy it!!??Saw one at the retromobile at horton's for a 'hortune'...

Best regards Michael

Hortune :rotfl: :rotfl:

But you should be aware that Pooks currently have a copy for sale for £45 - about the same as sourcing a copy from Australia once you've paid Australia Post's ridiculous prices. I bought my copy on eBay.au and IIRC it worked out at about £30.

#6335 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:21

Hortune :rotfl: :rotfl:

But you should be aware that Pooks currently have a copy for sale for £45 - about the same as sourcing a copy from Australia once you've paid Australia Post's ridiculous prices. I bought my copy on eBay.au and IIRC it worked out at about £30.

Thanks, I found one on amazon.uk for 42 GBP..private seller.
Hope I have more luck now. My last order was two times cancelled, the third has had the book on the Italian GrandPrix.
One vendor was bookbarn (Bath or Bristol)--they couldn't find the book in the warehouse. After some googleing I found a youtubevideo on bookbarn..you see a big warehouse with hoards of shelves and zillions of books , no system at all. NO wonder they can't find something...

Best regards Michael

#6336 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:11

Thanks, I found one on amazon.uk for 42 GBP..private seller.
Hope I have more luck now. My last order was two times cancelled, the third has had the book on the Italian GrandPrix.
One vendor was bookbarn (Bath or Bristol)--they couldn't find the book in the warehouse. After some googleing I found a youtubevideo on bookbarn..you see a big warehouse with hoards of shelves and zillions of books , no system at all. NO wonder they can't find something...

Best regards Michael

That sounds like Bookbarn! It's five miles from me. I found the video: they actually have two warehouses on that site. The one they show (every book £1) is open to the public, but the internet operation is run from the other one, which they don't let you into: the manageress was actually filmed in the private one and the (probably Polish) staff you see behind her are trawling ABE, Zvab etc to see how much they can get away with charging. They started out in Wells and Glastonbury in the 90s and then moved to their current site: for a while they also had another one in Bristol. Before they got into internet sales everything was in one building and you could just wander round: I got a lot of really good bargains there, but anything of any value now goes into the internet warehouse. They do provide catalogue search computers in the public warehouse, but you then have to wait while someone goes to fetch it for you: that may be why they sometimes can't find things, as it's been sold instore and not deleted off the catalogue.

#6337 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:51

That sounds like Bookbarn! It's five miles from me. I found the video: they actually have two warehouses on that site. The one they show (every book £1) is open to the public, but the internet operation is run from the other one, which they don't let you into: the manageress was actually filmed in the private one and the (probably Polish) staff you see behind her are trawling ABE, Zvab etc to see how much they can get away with charging. They started out in Wells and Glastonbury in the 90s and then moved to their current site: for a while they also had another one in Bristol. Before they got into internet sales everything was in one building and you could just wander round: I got a lot of really good bargains there, but anything of any value now goes into the internet warehouse. They do provide catalogue search computers in the public warehouse, but you then have to wait while someone goes to fetch it for you: that may be why they sometimes can't find things, as it's been sold instore and not deleted off the catalogue.

Vitesse,

thanks for the inside view!!!
Glastonbury -Arthur's land!!
As I pointed them on their 'chaotic' warehouse (from youtube)--they politely promised to show my remarks to their management...never heard something again..

Happy Sunday with snow?? We at Munich have no snow, but max.-10 °C!!

Michael

#6338 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:17

Vitesse,

thanks for the inside view!!!
Glastonbury -Arthur's land!!
As I pointed them on their 'chaotic' warehouse (from youtube)--they politely promised to show my remarks to their management...never heard something again..

Happy Sunday with snow?? We at Munich have no snow, but max.-10 °C!!

Michael

No, the snow came and went in eight hours yesterday although on Friday night my water pipes froze for the first time since I moved here six years ago. Pleasant morning here, temperature a reasonably balmy 6°C or so, a bit of high cloud and sun streamng in through the window ... currently watching the cricket from Dubai, where it's probably slightly warmer!

#6339 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 19:43

100 years of British Automobile Racing Club

I just found this book:

http://www.thehistor...acing-Club.aspx

Does anyone know this or even has bought already?? Worthwhile??

Many thanks in advance

Michael

Having now had a chance to peruse this slim volume I have to say that the most enthusiastic thing I can say is that it's underwhelming.

It's what I'd term an "Uncle Fred book" - as in "Oh God, it's nearly Christmas - what can we get for Uncle Fred who likes old racing cars?"

A4 landscape format with a coffee-table look about it, but perhaps more "tea-tray" than "coffee-table" given the size. I looked mainly at the pre-War stuff: quite a few photos I hadn't seen before, but that's really all I can say that's in any way complimentary. If there's one thing I don't like it's fake sepia-tint pictures and this book has them in spades - all the way into the 1950s.

The photo captioning is frustratingly poor, with very little detail. Some of it's downright sloppy: a picture of Bira and a driver I musr confess I didn't recognise is captioned simply "Bira and a mechanic": said "mechanic" is very obviously another driver as he's in an immaculate BRDC-badged white overall and has a pair of goggles round his neck. Another is captioned "Dobson in the pits": as the picture actually shows two people that would be the first mystery for the uninitiated. The other person is actually the main subject of the photo and not exactly unknown: it's Earl Howe! Then, you have to ask "which Dobson?": it's actually Austin, but as there were two other brothers (Arthur and Bill) just "Dobson" doesn't really help. A picture of Goodwood in 1948 is captioned as being taken in the pits whereas it's pretty obviously in the paddock. It was at that point when I began to lose interest ...

The text in the earlier section looked to be a sort of "highlights package" lifted from "From Brooklands to Goodwood": I suspect much of the rest was lifted from "Glory of Goodwood". Both books are in the (very short) bibliography and as far as I could see there's little or nothing new in terms of research or that hasn't been published before.

So, overall: nice pics, shame about the words (and the sepia-tint :rolleyes: )

Advertisement

#6340 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:57

Having now had a chance to peruse this slim volume I have to say that the most enthusiastic thing I can say is that it's underwhelming.

It's what I'd term an "Uncle Fred book" - as in "Oh God, it's nearly Christmas - what can we get for Uncle Fred who likes old racing cars?"

A4 landscape format with a coffee-table look about it, but perhaps more "tea-tray" than "coffee-table" given the size. I looked mainly at the pre-War stuff: quite a few photos I hadn't seen before, but that's really all I can say that's in any way complimentary. If there's one thing I don't like it's fake sepia-tint pictures and this book has them in spades - all the way into the 1950s.

The photo captioning is frustratingly poor, with very little detail. Some of it's downright sloppy: a picture of Bira and a driver I musr confess I didn't recognise is captioned simply "Bira and a mechanic": said "mechanic" is very obviously another driver as he's in an immaculate BRDC-badged white overall and has a pair of goggles round his neck. Another is captioned "Dobson in the pits": as the picture actually shows two people that would be the first mystery for the uninitiated. The other person is actually the main subject of the photo and not exactly unknown: it's Earl Howe! Then, you have to ask "which Dobson?": it's actually Austin, but as there were two other brothers (Arthur and Bill) just "Dobson" doesn't really help. A picture of Goodwood in 1948 is captioned as being taken in the pits whereas it's pretty obviously in the paddock. It was at that point when I began to lose interest ...

The text in the earlier section looked to be a sort of "highlights package" lifted from "From Brooklands to Goodwood": I suspect much of the rest was lifted from "Glory of Goodwood". Both books are in the (very short) bibliography and as far as I could see there's little or nothing new in terms of research or that hasn't been published before.

So, overall: nice pics, shame about the words (and the sepia-tint :rolleyes: )

Vitesse --thanks--another 25 pounds saved!!

regards Michael

#6341 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 19:04

Saw a new book about Masten Gregory at Retromobile.
"Masten Gregory The Maverick" by Patrick Sinibaldi. It's A5 size, 270 pages with colour and b/w photos. The author was distributing it by hand and said that he had only printed 300 copies. Seems like a nice book, but I've only read about quarter of it.
Usual disclaimers apply.
Nathan

#6342 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 23,843 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 19:16

It's also available from Motors Mania:

de Patrick Sinibaldi, Editions des Abeilles février 2012, 272 pages 16 x 24 cm, couverture souple, nombreuses photos couleur et NB (dont plusieurs faites par Masten lui-même), texte anglais.

Patrick Sinibaldi est déjà l'auteur de deux livres remarqués chez ETAI: Circuit de Reims et Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. Masten Gregory était son héros d'enfance et cela se comprend, vu l'intrépidité dont faisait preuve le myope le plus rapide du monde en course. Pour écrire son livre, Sinibaldi a bénéficié des souvenirs et des archives photos de Seda, la compagne de Masten.

Ecrit en français, le livre est publié en anglais. L'auteur ne croirait-il pas à l'intérêt du sujet pour un lecteur francophone ? A notre avis, c'est une erreur.

Prix TTC: 29,90 €

Posted Image

http://www.motors-ma...;idproduct=3794

#6343 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:47

Saw a new book about Masten Gregory at Retromobile.
"Masten Gregory The Maverick" by Patrick Sinibaldi. It's A5 size, 270 pages with colour and b/w photos. The author was distributing it by hand and said that he had only printed 300 copies. Seems like a nice book, but I've only read about quarter of it.
Usual disclaimers apply.
Nathan

Hello Nathan

I missed it!! That the second on Masten!!

2004 Michael J.Cox published ''Masten Gregory :Totally Fearless!!...''

Best regards Michael

#6344 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 18:16

Constructeur sans patente Vol 1+2 by Dominique PASCAL

If you already know the following carmakers:

Anderegg, Balsa, Baria, Collet , Chatenet, Crapel, Fauvel, Mahieux, Fracasetti,Romer, Ribaux, Seckler ,Vebo...

you can save 64 Euros...

These two wonderful books describe the 'home-built-cars' , mainly racing (kind of) or dreamsportscars. Fantastic research with contemporary photos ,all from the 50s to the 80s...

published by Editions Autodrome in 2011 and 2012.

http://www.hommell-m...9719ed2d1d1f97d

Absolutely recommended. Bought mine at the Retromobile, where there was a special stand on these cars..(dreaming to own a GT40--realising this dream with 'canvas and glue')

Best regards Michael

#6345 Herbert

Herbert

• 337 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:27

Does anyone know Roadrunner Autoboeken in Belgium? According to their website www.roadrunner-books.net they closed the shop in December but the text indicates that still want to sell books at certain motorsports events. But are they really still in operation?

#6346 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 965 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:23

Does anyone know Roadrunner Autoboeken in Belgium? According to their website www.roadrunner-books.net they closed the shop in December but the text indicates that still want to sell books at certain motorsports events. But are they really still in operation?

Herbert,

my only expirience of last year: mailed them twice indicating an order, they read my mails--BUT never came back....

Michael

#6347 Herbert

Herbert

• 337 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:52

Herbert,

my only expirience of last year: mailed them twice indicating an order, they read my mails--BUT never came back....

Michael

Thanks a lot. My experience is similar. I don`t get any answers to my mails ...

#6348 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 13:19

Yes, sadly they will close shop. And yes they still are in operation. Eddie doesn't check or reply his emails very often, in all the years I have known him I knew it was better to phone him if you wanted to order or ask a question.

#6349 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 18:13

According to the Palmier web site, the 2011 Le Mans annual and World Rallying #34 for 2011 have been cancelled. Here's the original in French:

PUBLICATIONS ATTENDUES, MAIS ANNULÉES...
- LE MANS SÉRIES
Ne l'attendez plus, il n'y aura pas de publication pour la saison 2011 du traditionnel annuel "Le Mans Séries" (décision de l'éditeur, que, bien entendu, nous regrettons).
- PIRELLI WORLD RALLYING N°34 - 2011-2012
Cet annuel du rallye mondial ne sera vraisemblablement plus publié. L'édition du n°34 a été annulée.

And the Google translation:

PUBLICATIONS EXPECTED BUT CANCELLED ...
- LE MANS SERIES
Do not wait any longer, there will be no release for the 2011 season of the annual traditional "Le Mans Series" (decision of the editor, of course, we regret). - PIRELLI WORLD rallying No. 34 - 2011-2012 This year the rally world will be more likely published. The edition of No. 34 has been canceled.

#6350 Herbert

Herbert

• 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:06

According to the Palmier web site, the 2011 Le Mans annual and World Rallying #34 for 2011 have been cancelled. Here's the original in French:

PUBLICATIONS ATTENDUES, MAIS ANNULÉES...
- LE MANS SÉRIES
Ne l'attendez plus, il n'y aura pas de publication pour la saison 2011 du traditionnel annuel "Le Mans Séries" (décision de l'éditeur, que, bien entendu, nous regrettons).
- PIRELLI WORLD RALLYING N°34 - 2011-2012
Cet annuel du rallye mondial ne sera vraisemblablement plus publié. L'édition du n°34 a été annulée.

And the Google translation:

PUBLICATIONS EXPECTED BUT CANCELLED ...
- LE MANS SERIES
Do not wait any longer, there will be no release for the 2011 season of the annual traditional "Le Mans Series" (decision of the editor, of course, we regret). - PIRELLI WORLD rallying No. 34 - 2011-2012 This year the rally world will be more likely published. The edition of No. 34 has been canceled.

Instead of the LMS yearbook there is an official ILMC yearbook which also includes the LMS races at Paul Ricard and Estoril. It is written by Jean-Marc Tesseidre and is published by Apach who also publish the official Le Mans 24 hour yearbook.

You can order it here.

Also recently published was the Porsche 934/35 book by Jürgen Barth and Bernd Dobronz. So far it is only available in German., but if you want to know something about these classic Porsche types you'll find it there. The development of the cars, race reports and results and the history of every chassis built on 600 pages with about 750 illustrations. Highly recommended for every sports car enthusiast!

More info here.

Edited by Herbert, 19 February 2012 - 21:11.