Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#6501 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,168 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 22:26

I am delighted to report that a long-awaited book has just landed on my doormat - 'Tony Brooks - Poetry in Motion', the great driver's immensely overdue autobiography, has just been released by Motor Racing Publications - ISBN 978-1-899870-83-7. We leaned on Tony for 15 years before finally persuading him that one day his grandchildren really will want to know what Gran'pa did. He wrote it himself, it's very detailed and packed with information and insight, and for every enthusiast of a certain age it is surely a must have. Dave McKinney has provided the racing record and a hugely impressive analysis of Tony's successes. Some great photograph features, too...
DCN

I received it a week or so ago (after being told by the supplier by Email it would be delayed well beyond that). Of any motorsport auto bio/bio this one left me with by far the greatest feeling that (a bit as I had felt as a child "in period", without fully understanding such things) C. A. S. Brooks was above all a thoroughly decent man, quite apart from being "thereabouts" as the best natural driver of all.
It is probably that fact that limits the "revelations" and scandal we now look for in such books. Many thanks to him for allowing me to relive that memorable (for good and terribly bad reasons) 1958 from a further angle.
I hope it doesn't upset anyone if I say that the frequent small paragraphs on what was happening in the wider world at the time irritated the hell out of me. I, very young for much of the time, can remember without those reminders, so it must seem even more out of place and "dumbing down" for those even more aware of world events then.

Advertisement

#6502 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 22:33

I hope it doesn't upset anyone if I say that the frequent small paragraphs on what was happening in the wider world at the time irritated the hell out of me. I, very young for much of the time, can remember without those reminders, so it must seem even more out of place and "dumbing down" for those even more aware of world events then.

Doesn't upset me, for one, and I think this came from something I suggested to Tony way back when I recommended he obtain a Chronology to get a grip upon what was going on 'in the real world' during the years he was racing. You know, the kind of awareness which might have saved current Formula 1 from the taint of consorting with the disreputable in Bahrein...

DCN

#6503 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 13:48

New Joe Honda title on Ferrari P4

Great photos!!

http://www.hlj.com/product/MFHSS001

Best regards Michael

#6504 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 19:59

An update from Gordon Kirby's column today regarding his coming Newman/Haas book:

I've also been fortunate to find a great book publisher in Joe Freeman at Racemaker Press in Boston. Four years ago I published my Rocket Rick Mears biography, titled 'Rick Mears--Thanks', with the Crash Media Group in the UK, publishers of Autocourse for whom I've written an annual review of the American racing season every year since 1973. But it was disappointing to have to go to England to find a publisher for a book about an American racing hero and I was determined to find an enthusiastic US publisher for my history of Carl Haas Auto and Newman/Haas Racing.

I spent a good deal of time writing this book through 2009 and '10 and about eighteen months ago I found the right man when I met Joe Freeman who is an avid racing enthusiast and excellent writer and editor. He's also an extremely knowledgeable vintage Indy car collector and racer whose company, Racemaker Press, has published many first-class books about vintage and historic racing in America including Joel Finn's award-winning Carribean Capers and Gordon White's history of Leader Card Racers.

Just recently, Racemaker published Jim O'Keefe's definitive biography of Frank Lockhart, co-authored with Racemaker's business manager Sarah Morgan-Wu, and we hope to publish our Newman/Haas book sometime next year. As we get closer to a publication date we'll be sure to let all of you know when and where we'll launch the Newman/Haas book.

And word of a book he will be publishing this year, with any luck, about drivers who finished second at the Indianapolis 500.

Over the past winter Joe and I have also written a book called 'Second to One' with research assistance from Tom Saal. It's about the forty drivers who finished second in the Indy 500 but were never able to win the race and includes many great drivers from Earl Cooper and Harry Hartz to Rex Mays and Ted Horn, Tony Bettenhausen and Eddie Sachs, Dan Gurney and Peter Revson to Michael Andretti and Paul Tracy. Joe has written about the great drivers from 1911-'53 and I've taken it from there. We've just started the photo edit on 'Second to One' and hope to publish the book by the end of this year.

http://www.gordonkir...t_is_no332.html

#6505 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 214 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:34

I have heard that this is alive and progressing. Dan Lipitz is doing it, I do not know if Tim Tuttle is still involved. I believe that David Bull Publishing is in the picture.
Tom

Anyone have any knowledge of how this would differ/be better than the Friedman book on the very same time period for Trans-Am?

#6506 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:08

Post we'd love to see....

:blush:

I am delighted to report that a long-awaited book has just gone to publication.....
"Inside Track"......

DCN

But while I'm waiting I've ordered a copy of the Tony Brooks book. And I've just received a bargain price copy of "Scarlet Passion", thanks to the information provided by fellow TNF bookies. :wave:

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 26 April 2012 - 02:24.

#6507 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 281 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:20

I recently purchased a copy of TNFr Robert Dick's wonderful book, 'Mercedes and Auto Racing in the Belle Epoque', a profusely illustrated and meticulously researched work which I think will be regarded as an essential item in any serious motor racing library, covering the early years of racing which seem so extraordinary viewed from the 21st century.

Robert is to be congratulated on his work, which not only has gathered together a remarkable collection of photographs from the major manufacturers' archives but also has assembled a veritable mine of data about the cars of the period, the like of which has never before been attempted AFAIK. I have many other books covering this early period, starting with the essential TASO Mathieson record of the first six Grand Prix events in France, but Robert's book is a superior thing. The only slight criticism I have, which is presumably beyond the control of the author, is the paper used for the book is rather soft and light, not the heavier glossy paper normally used to ensure great reproduction of the half tones in such a book. No matter, the book is well worth the price.

Marticelli

#6508 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 13:19

Due for release on May 1:

California Gold: The Legendary Life of Troy Ruttman
Bob Gates
Pitstop Books ( The folks who published "Langhorne!)

Link

Edited by helioseism, 27 April 2012 - 13:19.

#6509 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 17:14

The mysterious Ford GT-40 book by Haynes is now listed on Amazon. Due for publication on Nov. 1, 2012.

Link.

#6510 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,204 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:30

Due for release on May 1:

California Gold: The Legendary Life of Troy Ruttman
Bob Gates
Pitstop Books ( The folks who published "Langhorne!)

Link

There's another Ruttman book out there, I wonder how they'll compare?

#6511 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:42

The mysterious Ford GT-40 book by Haynes is now listed on Amazon. Due for publication on Nov. 1, 2012.

Link.

Thank you!! We can wait?? In the meantime we study the Titanic-Manual from Haynes???

Michael

#6512 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 17:50

Since there have been even more new additions lately, here is an updated list of Books In The Works. NEW books are indicated.

Books in the works? Still some hope that these may appear.
Updated 29-Apr-2012

NEW: "1912 Milwaukee Races" - Racemaker Press. Link.

"Adventure On Wheels - A Race Through Life" by John Fitch, a second edition of his 1959 autobiography. Scheduled to be published by Race Legends in 2004.

Alan Mann Autobiography, by Mann and Tony Dron. Reported by Doug Nye to be substantially complete and to be published by Motor Racing Publications. Link.

Alan Stacey biography by his nephew, Alan Stacey. Link.

"Argentine Grand Prix Races 1971-1981" by Hernan Lopez Laiseca. To have been published by Iconografix in Oct. 2011, but has vanished from Amazon.com in the US, and is not listed at the Iconografix web site. However, it is still on the amazon.co.uk site: link.

"Around the Raceway" by Terry Walker. Announced by author on 04-Oct-06, but the web site he listed has vanished. Link

"BMW Ultimate Drives Vol. 2 1983-2011" by Jeremy Walton. To be published by Coterie.

Bob Mitchell biography by his son, Mark. Australian motorcycle sidecar champion. Link.

"Bob Wollek, Le Champion Marginal". To be published by Le Mans Racing in June 2012. Link.

Brian Redman autobiography, by Redman & ??. As of 11-Feb-2011, Bill Wagenblatt reports that Redman is considering having Wagenblatt work on the book after Redman and Michael Keyser parted ways, but nothing has been decided. Link

BRM V-16 In Camera

"BRM Vol. 4" By Doug Nye.

NEW: "California Gold: The Legendary Life of Troy Ruttman" by Bob Gates. To be published May 2012 by Pitstop Books. Link

"A Chequered Life: Graham Warner and The Chequered Flag" by Richard Heseltine. To be published October 2013. Link.

"Circus Life - Australian Motorcycle Racers in Europe in the 1950s" By Don Cox. Has this been published? Link.

"Conversations with a Winner - The Ray Nichels Story" by William LaDow. Originally announced in 2003, now scheduled for release in late summer 2011, according to this site.

"Cooper Monaco Type 61M" by Chuck Brandt. Author mentions it on 28-Apr-06. Link.

"Dan Gurney - All-American Racer" by Gordon Kirby. Scheduled to be published by David Bull in 2005, has an ISBN number (1893618501), but still not out.

Dave MacDonald biography - MacDonald Family. As of 03-Oct-2007, Henri Greuter reported it was underway. Link

NEW: "Fateful Eight: the Story of the Duesenberg Single Overhead Cam Engines and Cars" by Joe Freeman. Racemaker Press. Link

"Ferrari 330P4 - The Complete Story" by Nathan Beehl & Paul Skett. ISBN 0954694635. Listed on Amazon UK. As of 12-Oct-2011, Beehl says that book has not been started yet, but still hopes to do it. Link.

"Ferrari 641/2 - Evolution & Development 1989-1991" by A. Matthews. Link.

Ford GT40 by Ronnie Spain. Apparently not an update to his classic work, but a second book on the subject. Link.

Ford GT 40 Owner's Manual, Haynes, to be published in November 2012. Link.

Frank Gardner biography by Tony Whitlock. Link.

"Graham Hill Scrapbook Volume 2". Status unknown.

Grand Prix Alfa Romeos by Simon Moore. As of 10-Oct-2011, David McKinney states that it is still in the pipeline. Link

Group C book by JM Templer. Link.

Howden Ganley Autobiography. Reported on 25-Nov-2007 that it is in progress. Link

"In-line Ferraris" by Antoine Prunet & Franco Lombardi. As of 07-Jan-2008, Prunet stated it was nearly finished. Link

"Inside Track" by Phil Hill, Steve Dawson and Doug Nye. Link

Interserie 1970-75, to be published by Palmier. Link

"Jacky Ickx" by John Tipler. To have been published by Coterie press in 2007.

"Jaguar Gauld Mine" and "Maserati Gauld Mine", both by Graham Gauld. Listed here. According to the author, the Maserati book is to be published in 2012, the Jaguar book is less certain. Link.

John Barnard Biography. Link.

"John Surtees Autobiography" by Surtees & Robert Edwards. Announced by Time-Warner in 2006, but still unreleased.

Lord Howe biography. On 26-Jun-2009, Ted walker states that a book is being written. Link

Haynes Lotus 72 Manual

Macau Grand Prix 60th Anniversary by Philip Newsome. To be published in 2013. Link.

"Mario's Team" by Gordon Kirby, history of Newman-Haas racing. To have been published in summer 2011, status unknown. Link

"NASCAR Engines - The History Of America's Racing Engines" by John Carollo and William Holder. Scheduled to be published by David Bull in 2005, has an ISBN number (1893618463), but still not out.

Nick Loudon photography book. As of 04-Jun-08, Andrew Kitson hinted that a book will be out in "months to come". Link

"One Fast Car - The Birth of Hisso Racers: Adapting Hispano-Suiza Aero Engines to Dirt Track Racing During the Early 1920s" by Thomas L. De Fazio. To be published by Racemaker Press "in Winter of 2011". Link.

Pete Lovely biography by Martin Rudow. Link.

"Peugeot Racing in America", pre-WW II history, by Sarah Morgan-Wu and James O’Keefe, to be published by Racemaker Press in 2012. Link.

"A Postcard From Maranello" by Nathan Beehl. Ferrari postcards. Link.

"A Record Of of United States National and Championship Racing to 1920", two volumes, by Don Capps. Link.

Rondeau by John Starkey.

Rudolf Caracciola book by Simon Davis. Link.

NEW: "Second To One: The Great Drivers Who Never Won Indy" - by Joe Freeman, Gordon Kirby and Tom Saal. Racemaker Press. Link

Sports Car Racing in the South Vol.2 1959-1960 by Willem Oosthoek. Link.

"Sunset on Kyalami Vol. 2" by Gary Kegel. Publication depends on sponsorship. Link.

"Talbot-Lago Grand Sport" by Peter Larsen. To be published by Dalton Watson. From the end flap of "Watkins Glen, the Street Years 1948-1952".

"Time and Two Seats Data Book" by Janos Wimpffen. Covers the same races as the original "Time and Two Seats" but with additional information such as more chassis numbers plus corrections of mistakes--very little text and photos, mostly data. Link.

"Time and Two Seats Decade Book" by Janos Wimpffen. Update that covers 1999-2009. Link.

"Time and Two Seats GT Photo Book" by Janos Wimpffen. Covering 1993-1998. Far future. Link.

NEW: "Trans-Am 1966-1972" by Tim Tuttle and Daniel Lipitz. To have been published by MBI in 2002. Now said to be back in development and to be published by David Bull. Link.

"Twice Around the Clock - The Yanks at Le Mans Vol. 1 1923-1976" by Tim Considine. Link.

USRRC History, by Mike Martin (grimeheel). As of 26-Feb-2007, author says book is being finished. link

"Water Speed Record - The Definitive History", by David Tremayne. To have been published by Haynes in Sept. 2010, then June 2011. ISBN 1844254739. Link.

"Zagato-Bodied Maserati A6G 2000 (The)" by Walter Bauemer. To be published by Dalton Watson. From the end flap of "Watkins Glen, the Street Years 1948-1952".

#6513 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 21:25

I read in Issue 23 of Bonhams’ ignition that their Motoring Historian, one Doug Nye, is ‘the author of some 70 books.’ That’s going some, isn’t it?

I wonder which TNFer has the most DCN books on his shelves? If I include The Glory of Goodwood (co-written with Mike Lawrence and Simon Taylor), Andrew Ferguson’s Team Lotus: The Indianapolis Years (he prepared the manuscript for publication), and his 5th edition of Hans Tanners’ Ferrari, I find I have 17 of them. Has anyone got all 70? Have you, Doug?

And if you can vote for only one, which is your favourite DCN book?

#6514 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 22:12

I wonder which TNFer has the most DCN books on his shelves? If I include The Glory of Goodwood (co-written with Mike Lawrence and Simon Taylor), Andrew Ferguson’s Team Lotus: The Indianapolis Years (he prepared the manuscript for publication), and his 5th edition of Hans Tanners’ Ferrari, I find I have 17 of them. Has anyone got all 70? Have you, Doug?

And if you can vote for only one, which is your favourite DCN book?

Without any doubt, BRM volume 4...

#6515 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 22:20

I've got 6 I believe, though I need to get round to cateloguing my collection some day.

http://www.amazon.co...t_athr_dp_pel_1

I've always been amused by the bizarre inclusin of The Loner about halfway down page 1 here. Unless Doug made a short foray into romantic fiction.

Edited by ryan86, 29 April 2012 - 22:48.

#6516 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 22:33

I've always amused by the bizarre inclusin of The Loner about halfway down page 1 here.

Easily explained by the cover illustration, that's about Michael Andretti in his short McLaren F1 period.

#6517 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 14:56

Add to your new book list:

Origin of the Species by Karl Ludvigsen, a history of the early Porsche 356, coming September 2012 from Robert Bentley Publishers.

Frank

#6518 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 15:10

Add to your new book list:

Origin of the Species by Karl Ludvigsen, a history of the early Porsche 356, coming September 2012 from Robert Bentley Publishers.

Frank

Thanks, Frank!!

#6519 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:18

Oh dear. Just received the following advice from Amazon:

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on February 17 2012.
David Cross, Bjorn Kjer "Inside the Paddock: Racing Car Transporters at Work"
We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

Any more news, Bjorn?

Advertisement

#6520 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 283 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42

Oh dear. Just received the following advice from Amazon:

Any more news, Bjorn?

I got the same. Strange because I saw the book in a shop in Paris last Tuesday.....

Fred

#6521 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:27

I have been told that Amazon discount prices are way too low , when they get some I dont know : try Dalton Watson , they deliver from the UK , postfree. Or try Chater p.t. It appears to take some time before they get out overall. The French were the first to get as they had placed orders way in advance !

Sorry guys , they are there , but I never expexted such a mess ! But I must add that I allready had mails from some private customers , so..............

#6522 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:54

Bjorn, Mick Walsh does a supportive review again in this month's C&SC.
Roger Lund

#6523 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 15:13

Posted Image

Just to say that Paul Skilleter Books now have some UK stock of the English Language version of Volume 1 of Urs Schmid's "XK120 - The Anatomy of a Cult Object". Volume 2 will follow in English but there's no date for this.

And the ENGLISH edition of Volume 2 of this book is at last now also available via Paul Skilleter...

Posted Image

#6524 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 16:15

Amazon just assume that even specialist publishers will avail themselves of their global reach, and slash prices accordingly to the devastation of the specialist book dealers. A respectable publisher will defend his book shop footprint, to give the guys who care a chance, and will deny Amazon any supply. Sadly dialling-up Amazon is now a standard default for many would-be buyers, which stuffs up dealers, publishers, authors...and ultimately would-be buyers, unless they can bear to try a little harder and search beyond the evil empire... It will cost a little more, but the alternative is simply the death of specialist publishing.

DCN

#6525 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 20:50

A "level playing field" is an ethical (and US mandated) approach for discounted wholesale pricing. The same discount schedule and terms should apply to an industry group. In the book trade it can (and typically does) vary between industry groups -- Distributors, Wholesalers, and Retailers.

Retail discounts are typically graduated by the quantity ordered -- occasionally cumulative over the life of the account. Some publishers go a step further with a Universal Discount Schedule that applies to any and all industry groups.

Assuming a "level playing field" it will still often be hard for retailers to compete with Amazon. Amazon's model is based on efficient handling of high volumes -- often at minimal profit per item.

Publishers cannot dictate the pricing of a book for any given retailer in the US. There would be business, ethical, and legal implications in restricting a retail channel due to final pricing.

For the independent or specialist publisher, a cumulative universal discount schedule, combined with specialist wholesalers and an appropriate Amazon sellers' program can all but ensure distribution that will best serve the author, publisher, all retailers, and the reader.

MG
- - -

#6526 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,048 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41

A "level playing field" is an ethical (and US mandated) approach for discounted wholesale pricing. The same discount schedule and terms should apply to an industry group. In the book trade it can (and typically does) vary between industry groups -- Distributors, Wholesalers, and Retailers.

Retail discounts are typically graduated by the quantity ordered -- occasionally cumulative over the life of the account. Some publishers go a step further with a Universal Discount Schedule that applies to any and all industry groups.

Assuming a "level playing field" it will still often be hard for retailers to compete with Amazon. Amazon's model is based on efficient handling of high volumes -- often at minimal profit per item.

Publishers cannot dictate the pricing of a book for any given retailer in the US. There would be business, ethical, and legal implications in restricting a retail channel due to final pricing.

For the independent or specialist publisher, a cumulative universal discount schedule, combined with specialist wholesalers and an appropriate Amazon sellers' program can all but ensure distribution that will best serve the author, publisher, all retailers, and the reader.

MG
- - -

Pre-Amazon the UK had a perfectly workable - and legal - system of resale price maintenance on books. Thanks to the grasping idiots at Pentos, who wanted rid of it for their own ends, it was abolished. Discounting ruined the British book trade, killed off hundreds of independent and specialist bookshops and left all publishers - big and small - at the mercy of a few chain buyers who could make or break a book.

I can only assume somebody at The Bookseller was being deeply, deeply ironic when they selected Sainsbury's as "Chain bookseller of the year" last year. Yes. You did read that right. SAINSBURY'S!

http://woodgreenbook...company-of.html

#6527 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:32

I suppose technically they are correct, in that Sainsburys is a bookseller, as opposed to a books seller. Its one book is about cooking. Just has different covers with stochastic D-list slebs claiming the recipes came from their mum or kid or Mormon or whatever.

#6528 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 15:31

Amazon just assume that even specialist publishers will avail themselves of their global reach, and slash prices accordingly to the devastation of the specialist book dealers.

I have listed a few self-published photobooks on Amazon in the hope of exposing them to a wider audience. They are listed at £7.50-£10 more than you can buy them for direct from me in order to cover Amazon's fees and, blow me, I have sold a number of copies to the most unexpected locations.

#6529 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:27

It looks as if your pricing policy is the right way round. I have seen cases, including a TNF poster, where Amazon undercuts the author's own site and the publisher's site. So, where did I buy from? Personally, I'd rather buy direct from the author, and failing that a specialist publisher, - but money talks!

Edited by D-Type, 04 May 2012 - 11:29.

#6530 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 13:24

Classic & Sports Car book of the month : "Inside the Paddock" !

#6531 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:27

Dear Bjorn,

My local bookshop had only one copy of your book left, to show to customers. A lovely tome :clap: , I ordered it.

Regards,

Mick

#6532 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:00

Hi Bjorn

amazon.uk, bookdepository etc have set the publishing date now to 28 MAY 2012.

And the 'sellers' on amazon.uk have gone too...

RegardsMichael

#6533 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:23

Wholly O/T I know, but I'm really enjoying the "NME Story", halfway through it now. A real good read.

#6534 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 16:10

Amazon just assume that even specialist publishers will avail themselves of their global reach, and slash prices accordingly to the devastation of the specialist book dealers. A respectable publisher will defend his book shop footprint, to give the guys who care a chance, and will deny Amazon any supply. Sadly dialling-up Amazon is now a standard default for many would-be buyers, which stuffs up dealers, publishers, authors...and ultimately would-be buyers, unless they can bear to try a little harder and search beyond the evil empire... It will cost a little more, but the alternative is simply the death of specialist publishing.

DCN

I ordered "Inside the Paddock" from Chaters and it was delivered within 24 hours post free and 10% discount off the full retail price. Fair enough I think..

#6535 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 42 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:53

Icon Publishing have released the next set of Autocourse annuals on CD Rom. They now have a bundle of the ebooks including 1972-73, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1975-76 and 1976-77 on offer on their site at www.autocourse.com for £80 with free postage. I ordered them on Wednesday and they arrived yesterday. I've been looking over them and they are excellent reproductions of the original annuals and reproduced to a very high specification. Great value at £19.99 each or £16 each in the bundle when compared to some of the prices quoted for the print copies by specialist booksellers.

Colin

#6536 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 13:44

Ah, yes, but when I want to look something up from past years I simply go to my bookshelf, pull the appropriate volume out, flip it open, and read what I want. That is as opposed to digging around to find where I mislaid a disc, firing up the computer, waiting five minutes for it to get going, loading the disc, rebooting because of an error message, waiting more time, opening the program, laboriously sifting through stuff to find the year, then trying to find the page, all the while squinting at a screen while getting a headache.

Yes, I know many feel that print is dead, but for me it will never be replaced by annoying and aggravating computer programs. Yes I am a curmudgeon.

Tom

#6537 nicanary

nicanary

• 446 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:01

And there's that lovely tactile feel of the quality paper.

#6538 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 14:42

I will be visiting Zurich, Switzerland soon. Can anyone recommend a good bookstore for auto racing history books, current and/or out of print? They don't have to be in English. Thanks in advance.

#6539 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 15:37

I will be visiting Zurich, Switzerland soon. Can anyone recommend a good bookstore for auto racing history books, current and/or out of print? They don't have to be in English. Thanks in advance.

If you haven't already got it see if you can find a copy of Adriano Cimarosti's GRAND PRIX SUISSE, (Hallwag Verlag 1992) which is a huge book with slipcase and wonderful quality with French and German text.

Advertisement

#6540 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 16:19

If you haven't already got it see if you can find a copy of Adriano Cimarosti's GRAND PRIX SUISSE, (Hallwag Verlag 1992) which is a huge book with slipcase and wonderful quality with French and German text.

Unless you're flying on a budget airline. It may take up your entire baggage allowance :lol:

#6541 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 16:29

Unless you're flying on a budget airline. It may take up your entire baggage allowance :lol:

Yes it is big but pales into insignificance compared to Yves Naquin's LE GRAND PRIX AUTOMOBILE DE MONACO, HISTOIRE D'UNE LEGENDE 1928-1960.

#6542 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 17:52

Ah, yes, but when I want to look something up from past years I simply go to my bookshelf, pull the appropriate volume out, flip it open, and read what I want. That is as opposed to digging around to find where I mislaid a disc, firing up the computer, waiting five minutes for it to get going, loading the disc, rebooting because of an error message, waiting more time, opening the program, laboriously sifting through stuff to find the year, then trying to find the page, all the while squinting at a screen while getting a headache.

Yes, I know many feel that print is dead, but for me it will never be replaced by annoying and aggravating computer programs. Yes I am a curmudgeon.

Tom

I agree with the overall point, but in this case, unless you've already got the volumes, the availability and the price of the original means that a CD version seems like a reasonable compromise. You could mislay 10 of the CD's and still be in pocket compared to what is asked for paper versions.

#6543 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,168 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 18:14

Tom

I generally agree with that, and prefer real books over digitized versions - BUT: many, many times i have longed for a digital copy with search function when trying to locate a specific quote or picture in one of my many books... :|

#6544 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 21:45

You may try 'Andy's Motorbooks', www.motorbooks.ch
The proprietor is not particularly friendly, but his shop may hold some gems. I'd recommend, Adriano Cimarosti's excellent 'Swiss Made Grand Prix 1931-1954'. Two lavishly illustrated books in a slipcase, covering only the Bern races (but also motorcycles), ISBN 978-3-033-02077-1, www.gp-suisse.ch. Not to be confused with 'Grand Prix Suisse' (also fantastic and also by Cimarosti and financed by Albert Obrist).

With a bit of luck you may be able to pick up a copy of Yves Naquin's LE GRAND PRIX AUTOMOBILE DE MONACO, HISTOIRE D'UNE LEGENDE 1928-1960, from Zurich classic car dealer Lukas Huni, www.lukashuniag.ch

And you may want to try some of the second hand bookshops in town.

Happy hunting.

Regards,

Mick

#6545 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 22:16

I agree with the overall point, but in this case, unless you've already got the volumes, the availability and the price of the original means that a CD version seems like a reasonable compromise. You could mislay 10 of the CD's and still be in pocket compared to what is asked for paper versions.

Yes, I understand your point. I was speaking from my experience, in that I am fortunate enough to have begun buying Autocourse every year from their first annual continuing on to the present, and Automobile Year retroactively for the years before 1961. Hence, I have a full library from 1955 to the present. Not that I planned on having them all, it just worked out that way. Of course, I am at the point now where I dare not stop!
Tom

#6546 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 00:27

You may try 'Andy's Motorbooks', www.motorbooks.ch
The proprietor is not particularly friendly, but his shop may hold some gems. I'd recommend, Adriano Cimarosti's excellent 'Swiss Made Grand Prix 1931-1954'. Two lavishly illustrated books in a slipcase, covering only the Bern races (but also motorcycles), ISBN 978-3-033-02077-1, www.gp-suisse.ch. Not to be confused with 'Grand Prix Suisse' (also fantastic and also by Cimarosti and financed by Albert Obrist).

With a bit of luck you may be able to pick up a copy of Yves Naquin's LE GRAND PRIX AUTOMOBILE DE MONACO, HISTOIRE D'UNE LEGENDE 1928-1960, from Zurich classic car dealer Lukas Huni, www.lukashuniag.ch

And you may want to try some of the second hand bookshops in town.

Happy hunting.

Regards,

Mick

Mick - Thanks very much! I would certainly like to get the two Cimarosti books. I have a copy of the Naquin Monaco book.

#6547 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:22

WRT Inside The Paddock:

Hi Bjorn

amazon.uk, bookdepository etc have set the publishing date now to 28 MAY 2012.

And the 'sellers' on amazon.uk have gone too...

RegardsMichael

Seems as if I have a new favorite book. Delivered today by USPS, from Enthusiastbook.com.

#6548 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 21:16

Yes, I understand your point. I was speaking from my experience, in that I am fortunate enough to have begun buying Autocourse every year from their first annual continuing on to the present, and Automobile Year retroactively for the years before 1961. Hence, I have a full library from 1955 to the present. Not that I planned on having them all, it just worked out that way. Of course, I am at the point now where I dare not stop!
Tom

I've bought backwards from about 2009/10, so through second hand copies I think I've got from 76/77 onwards. Some of them have a few flaws. My 1979 season was a library copy and it appears to have had a couple of pages ripped out and my 1984 season has what would kindly be described as a pretty rough cover.

#6549 retriever

retriever

• 394 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 20:37

DCN

Book wholesalers can also take a lot of the blame - they being the suppliers of many books to Amazon when they cannot be obtained direct by the 'evil empire'. They expect 55-60% discount and sell onto Amazon at around 5-10% more - giving Amazon the margin to discount heavily. At the same time the sell they same books to the general book trade at 35% discount! It cannot last - eventually the wholesalers will either be taken over by Amazon (subject to monopoly investigation) or will fold because there will not be sufficient independent outlets to supply.

It is interesting that neither Gardners nor Bertrams are carrying stock of Inside the Paddock- one even stating 'not yet published'. I expect that Dalton Watson are following what Doug Nye advocates - supply the trade direct and keep their books out of the reach of Amazon & the Book Depository - i.e. supply specialist wholesalers such as Chaters (who will not supply Amazon) and specialist and general bookshops plus also selling direct.

It really is the only way to survive these days otherwise all the publisher's margin will disappear in wholesaler discount.

I have never supplied general wholesalers and have sold direct whenever and wherever possible. It really is the only way for a specialist publisher to survive these days.

#6550 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 283 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:24

Finnish author Esa Illoinen has completed work on his story of the Toivonen family. It's due to be published later this year by McKlein.

As Henri's co-driver in 1981, 1982 & 1983 I'm looking forward to it.

Fred