Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7717 replies to this topic

#6751 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 22:12

If you can find a copy I would reccommend Ian Briggs' book ENDURANCE RACING 1982-1991 published by Osprey in 1992.
Otherwise this is the book to have if you want to know what, why and where but I've no idea how much it will cost you, I bought mine years ago from Chris Knapmann who no longer trades.

Looks like it might cost you.. http://www.abebooks....ACING 1982-1991
Can't find it listed by anyone on Amazon at the moment.

Advertisement

#6752 pinnacle racing

pinnacle racing

• 429 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 00:03

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions, everyone.

The "Monocoques & Ground Effects" book looks very tempting.

Is the 2 volume set Golden Era The History of Group C & IMSA GTP by Ian Briggs and John Starkey a follow up to Ian Briggs' book "ENDURANCE RACING 1982-1991"?

P.S. Loved Volume 2 of Formula One in Camera 1970-1979, Mr. Parker. More power.

#6753 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 92 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 00:30

There appears to be a copy of "Endurance Racing 1982-1991 - Ian Briggs" for sale under for sale and want ads on the forum homepage.
Jeff.

#6754 plutoman

plutoman

• 90 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:42

There appears to be a copy of "Endurance Racing 1982-1991 - Ian Briggs" for sale under for sale and want ads on the forum homepage.
Jeff.

Now sold I'm afraid. Monocoques and Ground Effects now gone as well. I do still have a copy of 'Golden Era Vol 1 & 2', but no slipcase. All remaining books on the list will be going on ebay shortly, but remain open to offers from TNFers for now.

#6755 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:53

Is the 2 volume set Golden Era The History of Group C & IMSA GTP by Ian Briggs and John Starkey a follow up to Ian Briggs' book "ENDURANCE RACING 1982-1991"?

It was billed as a follow up, but essentially it's a rehash of Briggs' excellent book with unattractive additions by Starkey. I bought it when new and was bitterly disappointed. I have both and Briggs' book is by far the better.

#6756 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:48

I'm only now coming back to Jack-the-Lad's question after being away in Boston to launch my new book on the creation of the Porsche 356.

Why now more new information on this topic? The sources include Marco Marinello's excellent researches in Switzerland, which is so important to the creation of the 356. As well I found untouched information and sources at Porsche, where some archive items had never been fully exploited. As well I looked into the Cisitalia saga in greater depth. Then we also had great information on Jerry Seinfeld's Gmund-built coupe. A further source were the diaries of Ghislaine Kaes, Prof. Porsche's nephew and secretary, acquired by Jerry and loaned to me for the work.

As I said earlier a key aspect of my book is the placing of the development of Porsche's sports-car ideas in the context of the products of other companies, both before and after the war.

It's all in aid of understanding how the powerful Porsche DNA was created, so powerful that it still influences the design of the company's cars today.

Edited by karlcars, 28 August 2012 - 09:48.

#6757 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,100 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:54

It was billed as a follow up, but essentially it's a rehash of Briggs' excellent book with unattractive additions by Starkey. I bought it when new and was bitterly disappointed. I have both and Briggs' book is by far the better.

This forum isn't much of a John Starkey fan club is it, has he produced anything trustworthy and readable?

#6758 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:57

This forum isn't much of a John Starkey fan club is it, has he produced anything trustworthy and readable?

Not sure, his 935 book was a mess too ! (even greater level of disappointment for me :down:)

#6759 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:22

Could anyone recommend a good book about Group C cars? I read about these cars in the latest issue of Autosport and I would like to know more about them.
I already have Peter Morgan's "Porsche 956/962 - The Enduring Champions" and I know there are several books out there that focus on Jaguars and Sauber-Mercedes.
Are there any books that offer an in depth look at the Group C era as a whole?

Another good couple of books on Group C are the "World Sportscar Racing" series by Ulrich Upitz. They are not too expensive: http://www.buchfreun...z,54350541-buch The series ran from 1989 till 1994.

Edited by Tom V, 28 August 2012 - 12:29.

Advertisement

#6760 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 16:34

Could anyone recommend a good book about Group C cars? I read about these cars in the latest issue of Autosport and I would like to know more about them.
I already have Peter Morgan's "Porsche 956/962 - The Enduring Champions" and I know there are several books out there that focus on Jaguars and Sauber-Mercedes.
Are there any books that offer an in depth look at the Group C era as a whole?

Albeit in German:

http://www.motorspor...-1982-1992.html

Complete book on the Group C era, cars ,from big manufacturers to small ones...worth a look!!

BTW: Excellent 33-pages in Autosport of 23.August 2012 on Group C.

Regards Michael

#6761 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 18:26

Looks like it might cost you.. http://www.abebooks....ACING 1982-1991
Can't find it listed by anyone on Amazon at the moment.

I would thoroughly endorse the recommendations for Ian Briggs' Endurance Racing and Janos Wimpffen's Monocoques & Ground Effects.

I picked up a copy of Ian Brigg's book for £30 or so about eighteen months ago. I cannot remember if it was on Amazon or eBay. I put it on my watchlist and eventually one turned up for a sensible price.

I would also put in a good word for Michael Cotton's paperback "Directory of World Sportscars Group C and IMSA cars from 1982". It was published in 1988 so it does not cover everything. It's mainly a model by model guide to the cars but does have brief annual reviews at the start. It also has the advantage of being much cheaper.

Steven

#6762 DN5

DN5

• 276 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 20:19

I would thoroughly endorse the recommendations for Ian Briggs' Endurance Racing and Janos Wimpffen's Monocoques & Ground Effects.

Steven

As would I.

Geoff

PS I think Cannon 14 was with me when I bought the Ian Briggs' book many years ago ......

Edited by DN5, 29 August 2012 - 19:19.

#6763 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 20:31

There are three copies of Monocoques & Ground Effects on ebay now with Buy it now prices of around £70-£80

#6764 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 234 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 21:17

I'm only now coming back to Jack-the-Lad's question after being away in Boston to launch my new book on the creation of the Porsche 356.

Why now more new information on this topic? The sources include Marco Marinello's excellent researches in Switzerland, which is so important to the creation of the 356. As well I found untouched information and sources at Porsche, where some archive items had never been fully exploited. As well I looked into the Cisitalia saga in greater depth. Then we also had great information on Jerry Seinfeld's Gmund-built coupe. A further source were the diaries of Ghislaine Kaes, Prof. Porsche's nephew and secretary, acquired by Jerry and loaned to me for the work.

As I said earlier a key aspect of my book is the placing of the development of Porsche's sports-car ideas in the context of the products of other companies, both before and after the war.

It's all in aid of understanding how the powerful Porsche DNA was created, so powerful that it still influences the design of the company's cars today.

Having just acquired Karl's new book 'Porsche - Origin of the Species' I would like to add a few comments. First of all it has presence and is a beautifully produced book. There are plenty of new (to me, at least) photographs amongst the 343 pages. Dipping into the text reveals the author's usual high standard of research and analysis. This is definitely a book to enjoy and I look forward to reading it in full.

#6765 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:40

Karl has created another fine Porsche history book. My first copies (Confession: I'm a Porsche bookseller) arrived the other day, and I instantly shut down everything else to skim the book. Karl has a great knack for presenting history without the usual blinders: as he wrote, the book places Porsche in the greater automotive context. The only other automotive historian who did this so well was Bev Kimes, but it is so important to the reader to understand the existing technology, politics, economy, competition, market, and more. Karl's Porsche, Excellence Was Expected got me started selling books in 1978, and today Origin of the Species renews my confidence that hard-copy books will always survive as enjoyable historical documents.

Frank

#6766 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,990 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:33

Has anyone read the Tony Robinson book yet? What type of book is it: "Next week we went to Monza", "The new car had twin wishbone rear suspension", "Stirling said to me ..." or "We drove to Sicily in shifts - 12 hours on, 12 hours off"?

Edited by D-Type, 03 September 2012 - 13:35.

#6767 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,622 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:29

Anyone ever heard about Thomas Lindner , nephew to Peter Lindner , writing a book about him ?

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 04 September 2012 - 20:29.

#6768 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:37

we talked already about Julian Hunt's

Motosport Explorer.

This what amazon.co.uk has to offer:

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_b_1

Item Under Review
This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.
We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

.....Strange!!

Regards Michael

#6769 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:50

Motosport Explorer.

Item Under Review
This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.
We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

.....Strange!!

Regards Michael

Some of their linked dealers have them (even in used condition) and it's available from the publisher though not as cheaply.

#6770 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 468 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:51

I wonder what the purchaser didn't like?

Did he spot the fifteen missing venues that I and others have found so far, and feel let down, or the Oliver's Mount hillclimb and Porlock Hllclimb map mistakes, or the typos and the wrong captions on the photos?

If it is reprinted we will try and get them corrected and include an addendum.

Ho hum.

Edited by fuzzi, 06 September 2012 - 08:56.

#6771 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:38

I'm sure sometimes an issue like this is someone well meaning, but not wholly on top of the technology, leaving a review on the wrong part of the site.

I've seen many a book/DVD get a 1 star review with the reason being it didn't arrive in time for their sons birthday. Almost as insightful as the 5 stars "I bought it for my husbands Xmas and I think he's enjoying it"

#6772 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:57

New book on Circuits from ETAI

http://www.amazon.fr...r...6591&sr=8-1

by Morelli/Chauvin to be released on 12 September 2012.

The text mentions also 'exotic' circuits from Africa...

Best Regards Michael

#6773 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,120 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:33

As a fan of the 50s I'm fascinated by the travel experiences of the smaller teams and privateers. I've read the HWM recollections of Alf Francis, and there is a book covering the Walker story, but does anyone know of any titles that might fit the bill.

I'm thinking of people like Bruce Halford and Horace Gould, who used to trek to many non-championship venues just for the starting-money. And what about Connaught?

If there isn't a book, over to you Doug Nye.

Purely for the record I have an entire chapter of my book " Maserati Gauld Mine" on Bruce Halford and Horace Gould, their travels and experiences. However, still chasing a publisher as the one who wanted to include it in his schedule has gone cold presumably due to the economic situation.

#6774 nicanary

nicanary

• 439 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:48

Purely for the record I have an entire chapter of my book " Maserati Gauld Mine" on Bruce Halford and Horace Gould, their travels and experiences. However, still chasing a publisher as the one who wanted to include it in his schedule has gone cold presumably due to the economic situation.

It's a sad sign of the times. Nice to know someone else had an interest in these stories. (Just been reading Jenks' Racing car Review 1955, and he brilliantly covers the travels and travails of the Gordini team in 1954. It rivals the HWM team for attempting as many races as possible for the starting money.)

#6775 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,120 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:00

At the moment I am writing the biography of Bob Gerard on behalf of members of the Gerard family and they will probably privately publish a limited edition but for sale to the public sometime next year when it is finished. I will let the forum know any details once the book is finished and the family decide to publish. However, I can assure you there are some surprising stories will come out of it.

#6776 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,162 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 20:22

Not sure we should be giving Amazon the publicity but significant chunks of the Tony Robinson book can be previewed on the Amazon site. May be of interest to D Type and nicanary (one of the extracts covers travel with the Halford car around the time of the 57 German GP).

Edited by RS2000, 08 September 2012 - 20:23.

#6777 rudi

rudi

• 207 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:02

Has anyone read the Tony Robinson book yet? What type of book is it: "Next week we went to Monza", "The new car had twin wishbone rear suspension", "Stirling said to me ..." or "We drove to Sicily in shifts - 12 hours on, 12 hours off"?

The book is rather on teams and cars. Almost only F1 (sportscars and Indy during the BRP period).
The two years with Alf Francis and the 250F Maserati are very interesting with the relations with the factory and the changes of colour (long before Scuderia Cento Sud...).
Also the less well know history of the Moss Cooper Alta.
Of course there is an other book on BRP: "Making a legend" and some chapters look similar (the BRP chassis/chassis story) but in Robinson's book all is seen from an other side and more precise. The end of the Cooper story is also seen from inside.
The relationship with Chris Bristow is well written but there are less comments on other drivers. Bernard White receives also some lines.
Most of the photos are from private collections, unpublished before. The captions do not always say where taken so it's a game to find the places...

#6778 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:21

The Le Mans encyclopedia (3 vol.) was reduced in price from 300€ to 220 €

see http://www.vif-argen...e...e&Itemid=62

And found this:

http://www.eaurougepublishing.com/

Marc Sonnery (Rebel,Rebel) has now (?) his own publishing house 'Eaurougepublishing', forthcoming titles are on the Citroen-Maserati era and De Tomaso Mangusta...

Regards Michael

#6779 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:41

And found this:

http://www.eaurougepublishing.com/

Marc Sonnery (Rebel,Rebel) has now (?) his own publishing house 'Eaurougepublishing', forthcoming titles are on the Citroen-Maserati era and De Tomaso Mangusta...

Regards Michael

A bit more information from the publishers. "Our 'Maserati – the Citroen Years' book is due to be published at the end of October. As you know, these things just grow and grow – what was originally planned as 350 pages has turned into over 500!"

www.eaurougepublishing.com

www.maserati-book.com

Nathan

Advertisement

#6780 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:21

A bit more information from the publishers. "Our 'Maserati – the Citroen Years' book is due to be published at the end of October. As you know, these things just grow and grow – what was originally planned as 350 pages has turned into over 500!"

www.eaurougepublishing.com

www.maserati-book.com

Nathan

Thank you Nathan...

originally Marc planned to publish this book 2 years ago with 'his' publisher who made the (also) delayed Rebel, Rebel...

Cynics would suggest: published by 'Patience Publishing House'...

Best regards Michael

#6781 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 14:08

Looks like the Lotus 72 Haynes manual has already been translated into French: Link. Has anyone obtained the English version? What's it like?

#6782 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 21:58

Maybe of 'minor' interest: it seems that the Le Mans yearbooks have changed the publisher:from APACH (site under construction)in Belgium to ETAI in France:

http://www.amazon.fr...1...9587&sr=1-4

THE good news it still exists!!! But we have a lot of publishers since the first of 1978...

Best regards Michael

#6783 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:33

I filled a hole in my ‘circuits’ section at Goodwood on Friday, by buying Enguerrand Lecesne’s French-language book on Rouen-Les-Essarts. It will be fun to pick up every word in five to make sense of it, and it’s already corrected me on one point of French vocabulary. Taking the same ‘one-word-in-five’ approach to a L’Equipue on a beach in the summer of 1980, I understood that of all the French drivers, only Pironi knew the furniture. But I learn from a Lescesne caption of Stewart in the ’68 French GP that the expression is ‘sauve les meubles’ – saved the furniture.

I wish I'd paid more attention at school...

#6784 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,100 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:43

...the expression is ‘sauve les meubles’ – saved the furniture.

I'd say that the closest Anglais equivalent for that is 'saves the day', not sure how the words 'tank slapper' would translate, but I've seen a French TV programme with that name, and it seemed to be all about repairing and reconditioning furniture, so the expression can have a literal meaning as well.

#6785 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:57

I'd say that the closest Anglais equivalent for that is 'saves the day', not sure how the words 'tank slapper' would translate, but I've seen a French TV programme with that name, and it seemed to be all about repairing and reconditioning furniture, so the expression can have a literal meaning as well.

Quite so.

Of course, if there was a fire chez Kenny, the priority would be sauve les livres..

#6786 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,100 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:10

Quite so.

Of course, if there was a fire chez Kenny, the priority would be sauve les livres..

Aussi, sauve le bibliothèque (save the bookcase). Two birds with one stone, "faire d'une pierre deux coups" as they say in France, and we trust that you're adequately insured.

#6787 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,594 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 13:41

Looks like the Lotus 72 Haynes manual has already been translated into French: Link. Has anyone obtained the English version? What's it like?

A timely review.

#6788 stankoprowski

stankoprowski

• 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 14:35

[quote name='helioseism' date='Sep 14 2012, 09:08' post='5919519']

It's not available at Amazon U.S. so I ordered it from Amazon UK. I was ordering several books and didn't pay enough attention. It's not available in the UK either. It says it will ship in 9-13 days. We'll see.

#6789 motorbookworm

motorbookworm

• 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:29

Aussi, sauve le bibliothèque (save the bookcase). Two birds with one stone, "faire d'une pierre deux coups" as they say in France, and we trust that you're adequately insured.

On a pedantic note, 'Aussi' at the start of a sentence means 'Therefore', rather than 'Also'.

I'll get me coat...

#6790 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:19

Does anyone know of a MAX HOFFMAN (the famous US-importer) biography or a at least a chapter on him in a Porschebook?????

Thanks for the help!!

Michael

NB found only an article in the NYT of March 18, 2007 (via Wiki)

#6791 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,100 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:47

On a pedantic note, 'Aussi' at the start of a sentence means 'Therefore', rather than 'Also'.

I'll get me coat...

Err, well yes, exactly, that's what I said.

Therefore, let me help you on with your coat.

#6792 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 468 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 15:07

Motosport Explorer.

Item Under Review

.....Strange!!

Regards Michael

In the last week the book has been reported as out of stock, both with Amazon and Haynes. Just heard from the publisher that the problem was a number of blurred pages in the copy purchased. As soon as they were notified of the complaint by Amazon, the production department at Haynes withdrew the book, got it reprinted and it is on the ocean wave from the USA at the moment.

Hope the blurred printing problem has not been widespread.

Sadly, the speed of the reprint has precluded any corrections or amendments at this stage.

#6793 nicanary

nicanary

• 439 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 17:40

In the last week the book has been reported as out of stock, both with Amazon and Haynes. Just heard from the publisher that the problem was a number of blurred pages in the copy purchased. As soon as they were notified of the complaint by Amazon, the production department at Haynes withdrew the book, got it reprinted and it is on the ocean wave from the USA at the moment.

Hope the blurred printing problem has not been widespread.

Sadly, the speed of the reprint has precluded any corrections or amendments at this stage.

Odd. I ordered mine from Amazon at an early stage (15 August), received it within about 3 days, and there are no blurred pages. Must have been one batch with the problem.

#6794 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 993 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 23:22

Does anyone know of a MAX HOFFMAN (the famous US-importer) biography or a at least a chapter on him in a Porschebook?????

Michael:

Around the time of his death a good biography appeared in Porsche Panorama, the magazine of the Porsche Club of America. You need the June 1980 issue, which is probably available from PCA at PO Box 6400, Columbia MD 21045; 410/381-0911; admin@pca.org.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 17 September 2012 - 23:30.

#6795 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,012 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:10

Odd. I ordered mine from Amazon at an early stage (15 August), received it within about 3 days, and there are no blurred pages. Must have been one batch with the problem.

That must have been the case, as John Campbell has written a glowing review in the Amazon system - he has written a lot of reviews, many of which are not complimentary, but all are constructive in some way so he'd have mentioned blurring.
My copy is fine, too!

#6796 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:22

Michael:

Around the time of his death a good biography appeared in Porsche Panorama, the magazine of the Porsche Club of America. You need the June 1980 issue, which is probably available from PCA at PO Box 6400, Columbia MD 21045; 410/381-0911; admin@pca.org.

Frank

Frank thanks!! I hoped YOU see my enquiry..as a Porsche Expert..

I'll try to get a copy of Porsche panorama...

Thanks again Michael

#6797 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,341 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 14:50

Wolfgang, muss es unbedingt eine gedruckte Biografie sein?
Ansonsten gibt es seit Kurzem in elektronischer Form einen ziemlich ausführlichen Artikel hier.

In English: There is a WWW biography of Max Hoffman.

#6798 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:55

Wolfgang, muss es unbedingt eine gedruckte Biografie sein?
Ansonsten gibt es seit Kurzem in elektronischer Form einen ziemlich ausführlichen Artikel hier.

In English: There is a WWW biography of Max Hoffman.

Reinhard--Danke --THANKS

Michael aka 'Wolfgang'

#6799 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 15:58

Turboscocca,

The is an article on Max Hoffman in Automobile Quarterly Vol. 10/2. I don't have access to my copy, but usually the articles in AQ are good.

Jan

Advertisement

#6800 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 962 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 16:10

Turboscocca,

The is an article on Max Hoffman in Automobile Quarterly Vol. 10/2. I don't have access to my copy, but usually the articles in AQ are good.

Jan

Jan --you beat me by 10 minutes...

Exactly!! Our 'own' Karl (Ludvigsen) has written an article pages 152-67 in 10-2 AQ...

My fault, should have searched first in AQ , as I have them...

Many thanks Michael