Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7776 replies to this topic

#6851 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:54

Ah yes, apologies, I should have added, "...if you're in the UK"!

Jonathan

Absolutely no problem...

I think Joe Honda is very clever to make little magazine-like books instead of a hefty tome...

Best regards Michael

Advertisement

#6852 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:56

I saw Steve Rider's newly-published autobiography on sale in my local branch of Waterstone's today.

My Chequered Career: Thirty-five years of televising motorsport

#6853 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:40

Postscript Books is best known for selling remainder academia, but it has three Porter Press scrapbooks on offer - including the Graham Hill one, £35 down to £13.

#6854 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:18

Postscript Books is best known for selling remainder academia, but it has three Porter Press scrapbooks on offer - including the Graham Hill one, £35 down to £13.

You're a bad influence on me: I've ordered two other books as well as the Graham Hill one.

(Well, I suppose it's no more than I would have spent on the TNF filmshow if I hadn't been dragooned into visiting the in-laws)

#6855 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 20:52

Just got SCHLEGELMILCH's Sportscar racing 1962-73

Tremendous book. 540pages well printed hardbound.Stunning photos sorted by racetracks and years. Shortish minimal captions and small intros in EIGHT languages.
Lots of portraits too--sorry Björn, no transporters seen so far...

And all for 29,95 Euros...RECOMMENDED

Best regards Michael

#6856 seb333

seb333

• 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 20:41

Didn't know it was already available...just ordered it!

Edited by seb333, 21 October 2012 - 20:43.

#6857 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 18:29

Steve Wyatt's photo book The Pursuit of Victory 1963-1972 , with comments by Bob Dance, is well reviewed in MS this month. Has anyone seen it yet? Having seen Steve's work I expect it will be top drawer.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 26 October 2012 - 18:29.

#6858 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,108 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 21:39

Disclaimer: Shameless plug for a book, because I work with the author.

Posted Image

Biography of the three Scandinavian drivers that tried to reach F1 each in his own way. Ronnie and Reine of Sweden and Ole Vejlund from Denmark.

Carsten has gotten hold of a bunch (2,500) of mostly unpublished pictures from mainly Swedish sources. He has had towhittle this down to approx. 300 which means the material in the book really is first class. It's in Danish so I guess his text will be lost on anyone but Danes, Swedes and Norwegians.

Link to the publisher; http://veterania.dk/...;product_id=121

#6859 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:03

Does anyone know much about Bugatti Type 32 Tank by Diego Ratti?
His website makes some strange claims about the 1923 car that raced at Tours which makes one wonder how much the author has understood, e.g.:
-First racing car with a “suspended” chassis: the axle was sustained by leaf-spring in order to lower the car barycentre of 20/30 centimetres, a solution anticipating the “ground effect” developed later by Colin Chapman in the late sixties.

Advertisement

#6860 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,203 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:21

Typical Bugatti BS! :lol:

#6861 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:24

Steve Wyatt's photo book The Pursuit of Victory 1963-1972 , with comments by Bob Dance, is well reviewed in MS this month. Has anyone seen it yet? Having seen Steve's work I expect it will be top drawer.
Roger Lund

I got a copy of the book a few weeks back and have to say I was immediately impressed with both the quality and quantity of the pictures. The book is a fair bit thicker than the related Anthony Carter books, but Carter has clearly influenced the layout of this book so that they geniunely look like they are part of a series which I feel enhances the experience. Steve Wyatt's text is very complimentary to the images, giving excellent brief overviews to the races being photographed and why he was there. Bob Dance's comments are little gems relating often to what the pictures show. I would thoroughly reccommend buying this book.

Also, while I'm at it, Steve Ryder's autobiography of his presenting career is a great read. At 267 pages (but the smaller sized pages) it is a book easy to get into and the chapters in the main are snappy and self contained (which build into the overall picture). The chapter on Mansell and McLaren is particularly interesting and the gradual decline and collapse on Grandstand on the BBC makes it a read worth getting.

Finally, I recieved a copy of Ranier Schlegelmilch's Sports Car Racing 1962-1973 yesterday (£18.59 from The Book Depository) and I would say it's one of his finest picture books. The book is printed on good quality paper and at 540 pages it's quite heavy as I realised after reading it for an hour last night suddenly being aware my wrist was going! The pictures are both interesting and atmospheric, just to see the grubbiness of the pits in the 60s and 70s I think is great, and the text (prologue etc) is brief and to the point. For the price I really cannot think of a better deal at the moment.

#6862 rudi

rudi

• 209 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 15:16

"Skaneloppet . Sveriges Grand Prix . 1952 - 1961" by Rickard Bruzelius.
Text in Swedish.
The story of the motorcycle and car races (1955 non championship, 1956 and 1957).
253 pages 350 photos.
Written by Rickard Bruzelius who is the memory of the Kristianstad circuit.

Here a link for ordering from sweden:Bokus

#6863 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:09

Does anyone know of this book(??) It is from a congress at the Museo Carlo Biscaretti di Ruffia at Torino:

A.Silva: Corse Grand Prix e Formula libre 1945-1949, Torino 2005.

Thanks Michael

#6864 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,254 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:19

Does anyone know of this book(??) It is from a congress at the Museo Carlo Biscaretti di Ruffia at Torino:

A.Silva: Corse Grand Prix e Formula libre 1945-1949, Torino 2005.

Thanks Michael

One of a number of monographs published by AISA and available on their website:

http://www.aisastory...?...view&gid=74

:wave:

#6865 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:29

One of a number of monographs published by AISA and available on their website:

http://www.aisastory...?...view&gid=74

:wave:

Thanks a lot for the ultra - fast answer..

Michael

#6866 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 16:32

Some dealer stock it already :

http://www.amazon.co...a...6796&sr=1-1

Alan Mann : A Life of Chance by Tony Dron..

Best regards Michael

#6867 David Wright

David Wright

• 80 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 21:19

Some dealer stock it already :

http://www.amazon.co...a...6796&sr=1-1

Alan Mann : A Life of Chance by Tony Dron..

Best regards Michael

Thanks for the heads up - one for my Christmas list.

On a different but slightly related topic - anyone seen or heard news on the John Fitzpatrick autobiography?

#6868 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 00:00

News from trawling the web:

LES VAN DIEMEN - FORMULE FORD KENT by Michel Delannoy Link

A Racecar Designers Story - Nigel Bennett Link

Haynes Ford GT-40 manual delayed until July 4, 2013 Link

Riverside International Raceway: A Photographic Tour of the Historic Track, Its Legendary Races, and Unforgettable Drivers by Pete Lyons
Link

California Gold: The Legendary Life of Troy Ruttman by Bob Gates
As a matter of fact, I am PARNELLI JONES by Parnelli Jones & Bones Bourcier
Link for both

Mantovani alla Mille Miglia by Cesare De Agostini - Fabrice Ross Link

50 Years Formula 1 Photography - Schlegelmilch Link

Edited by helioseism, 03 November 2012 - 00:29.

#6869 seb333

seb333

• 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:50

Yes, this is the (Photo) book of the year in my opinion. I just went through yesterday and can only second what you said.

Tremendous book. 540pages well printed hardbound.Stunning photos sorted by racetracks and years. Shortish minimal captions and small intros in EIGHT languages.

Best regards Michael

#6870 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 16:36

Not exactly a book recommendation--but an auction catalogue...

Simon Taylor mentioned it in his C&S column.

Mecum , the US-auctioneer auctioned in August at Monterey a Porsche 917.
For this sale they produced an extra catalogue (A4 landscape,98pp sb). It's beautifully done, fine photos, contributons by Pete Lyons, George Follmer etc.

Title: The L&M Porsche, Canam champion(917/10-003).

You can either download it at www.mecum.com or get a printed copy..

For the 917-fanatics..

Regards Michael

#6871 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:56

Have just received my copy of Cars Made in Hungary by TNFer Pal Negyesi.

The first half is devoted to road cars, some of which appeared as good as anything on offer in the West, but none – if I read it correctly – got beyond the prototype stage.

It was the second half, giving a run-down of racing machinery made in Hungary postwar, mostly by state-owned garages or the national taxi company, which was of most interest to this reader.

Very much a niche subject, I’m sure, but fascinating to someone like me who knew nothing about racing in Hungary, apart from a few events in which drivers from other countries took part. And absolutely nothing about the local cars.

I could have done with more concrete data – who won what and when, etc - but it’s not that sort of book.

Criticisms? A couple of translation slips – as has frequently been discussed on TNF, in the English-speaking world we don’t refer to rallies and trials, or hillclimbs, as “races”.

Minor niggles about what is otherwise an excellent production

Avaialbe from http://www.ilcammell.../Hungary_e.html

#6872 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 13:14

...as has frequently been discussed on TNF, in the English-speaking world we don’t refer to rallies and trials, or hillclimbs, as “races”.

You're absolutely right David, but this misuse is very common in the popular press in the UK, along with the attachment of the term 'vintage' to anything more than a handful of years old. As if that wasn't bad enough, a recent Daily Mail piece on the London to Brighton run managed to misuse the terms 'vintage' and 'veteran' in the same article when describing the participants. It's all a losing battle I'm afraid, and things will only get worse.

#6873 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:39

You're absolutely right David, but this misuse is very common in the popular press in the UK, along with the attachment of the term 'vintage' to anything more than a handful of years old. As if that wasn't bad enough, a recent Daily Mail piece on the London to Brighton run managed to misuse the terms 'vintage' and 'veteran' in the same article when describing the participants. It's all a losing battle I'm afraid, and things will only get worse.

Now, why doesn't this surprise me? I had hoped that when they promoted Jonathan McEvoy to cover the Olympics his successor as 'motoring' correspondent might be capable of at least doing basic research. But it appears not.

Did you contact them and tell them? To give the Mail their due they do give a byeline and an e-mail. However, it does seem a fruitless task when you don't even get an acknowledgement. But it can't do any harm and maybe it isn't all 'water off a duck's back'. Perhaps as well as complaining to the writer it might be worth copying the complaint to the Editor.

On the question of 'vintage' I'm fairly relaxed about its misuse in the popular press - after all the dates for vintage wine are continuously updated. In a serious description of an individual car it's different, but I can see why when writing for a mainstream audience the writer feels that explaining what a 'Post Vintage Thoroughbred' actually means would distract the reader. Given that the Vintage Sports Car Club bury the definition of a 'Vintage Car' deep on their website and don't mention 'Veteran' or 'Edwardian', I think we can forgive the McEvoys of this world if they get it wrong. But in an article specifically about the Veteran Car Run they should get it right.

[/RANT]

#6874 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 13:11

Did you contact them and tell them? To give the Mail their due they do give a byeline and an e-mail. However, it does seem a fruitless task when you don't even get an acknowledgement. But it can't do any harm and maybe it isn't all 'water off a duck's back'. Perhaps as well as complaining to the writer it might be worth copying the complaint to the Editor.

No, it's hopeless Duncan, where would you start? The Mail even use 'vintage' when writing about E-Types, and they've often called cars from the 70s & 80s 'vintage'. Chris Evans recently bought a lovely looking near-mint Humber Super Snipe estate, and the Mail article referred to it as an 'old banger'. Judging by the 'celeb' stuff and the comments after articles, I suspect that they're aiming their site more at US readers in any case, and they'll certainly never win any awards for literary competence or factual accuracy. You may well ask why I look at their site, but it does provide a quick fix of low-level news and popular opinion that you don't get from more serious newspapers. That's my excuse anyway...

#6875 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:22

The Mail even use 'vintage' when writing about E-Types, and they've often called cars from the 70s & 80s 'vintage'.

It is a losing cause. Here in the US all 'old car' racing is called 'vintage' regardless of the age or pedigree of the cars involved. Just the way it is, and it is never going to be changed. Sigh.

That brings me to another of my peeves (believe me, I have many!). Here in the US the word 'classic' when it comes to cars has been completely corrupted. According to the popular press and all the non-rabid followers of automobiles, any car over, say, 20 years of age is "classic". No exceptions. Every car dealer who has a show on his lot during the summer has a 'classic car show'. Someone's 1976 Rambler gets destroyed in a garage fire and the newspaper says that a "classic" car was destroyed. Happens all the time. Drives me nuts.
Tom

#6876 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 17:00

I gave up fighting the "classic" battle more than 20 years ago...

#6877 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:27

I'm with Duncan.

We can complain about falling standards, or we can do our bit to raise them by pointing out the errors.

#6878 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:22

I think it's time to return to books.

Christmas is coming. What books should I put on my Chrismas list? The new edition of "Grand Prix Who's Who" and the Tony Robinson biography are already on the list. I couldn't wait for Christmas for the Tony Brooks autobiography and I recommend it to anyone interested in his period.

#6879 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:28

Inside the Paddock , The pursuit of victory 1930-62 and the latest 1962-72.

Advertisement

#6880 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:56

If anyone gets a kindle, they could download mine. :p

#6881 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 17:10

I think it's time to return to books.

Christmas is coming. What books should I put on my Chrismas list? The new edition of "Grand Prix Who's Who" and the Tony Robinson biography are already on the list. I couldn't wait for Christmas for the Tony Brooks autobiography and I recommend it to anyone interested in his period.

ALAN MANN by Tony Dron , MRP. Should be on the market these days..

Regards Michael

#6882 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 18:57

In my wish list at the moment are the Le Mans 1980-89 volume, the autobiographies of Tony Brooks and Derek Bell, and Peter Warr's unfinished memoirs. Also the obligatory Autocourse annual when that's published.

#6883 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 20:17

I see that if you write the biography of a US general, you get to sleep with your subject.

I don't suppose there's much of that sort of carry on in the world of motor racing books, is there?

#6884 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,309 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 20:32

I'm putting my name forward to write a Danica Patrick biog.

#6885 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:31

No, no, no slippery biography here!!

Just a book (coming in January 2013) on the Bugatti aeroplane(s)..

http://www.octagonfox.com/nieuw.html

Yes it has to do with racing..the engines were 'used' in Bugatti racing cars!!!

Best regards Michael

#6886 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 16:54

Alan Mann - A Life of Chance
It must be "progress" but, like so many other new books, this one seems to me a bit thin for its price tag (which is not significantly discounted at present, compared to many others). Despite the title, it is very much the story of Alan Mann Racing rather than Alan Mann. The obligatory early life section is not matched with anything post AMR until we get to "modern" historic racing. Aviation enthusisats may therefore be disappointed to find virtually nothing regarding that major post-AMR phase, other than a veiled reference to classified work, with helicopter anti-missile measures mentioned. Although I was once briefly on the periphery of that subject, I have no recollection of any Alan Mann Group company being involved. His post-AMR private life is dismissed in a couple of sentences. Still, many of us castigated Jackie Stewart's book for spending too much time on his non-driving career, so we can't complain too much and overall this book is "a good read".
There may well be much new insight for those who's interest lies in GT and sports racing cars and there is certainly a view of Ford's "disfunctional" (to use a current buzz word) corporate performance in that area. Shelby and Holman and Moody seem to escape the worst of AM's censure but few others seem to! Even Walter Hayes attracts the odd adverse reference and John Wyer was clearly never ever destined to make it on to AM's Christmas card list. We knew relations with Stuart Turner never rose from rock bottom in period as: "he didn't like me and I didn't like him" dates back some time. That things never mellowed is now indicated by a blunt : "he doesn't speak to me". This raises the question of whether all these people were quite as bad as portrayed or whether AM himself was part of the problem...
I was sorely disappointed to learn little new about the AM saloon cars. The good Mustang listing of car identities/use can already be found on a US Mustang web site that held long telephone conversations with AM some time ago. The Falcon identities/use/fate can also be pieced together far more comprehensively than it is here. For Cortinas and Escorts that detail is disappointingly limited. I had hoped to find confirmation/details of the AM involvement in setting up the works rally Lotus Cortinas for the 66 Coupe des Alpes but no mention is made. Interestingly, AM's entry of two Lotus Cortinas in the 66 Monte, separate from the three works cars, is attributed to a Walter Hayes initiative to "sharpen things up". Totally conflicting statements then follow as to whether or not the AM cars also had dipping headlights and would have been excluded with others. Engine failure on both cars from using the wrong oil suggests it wasn't the works team, by then under Henry Taylor, that was most in need of sharpening up...
A very good story is made of Henry Taylor bringing his works Cortina GT from Ford Comps, then at Lincoln Cars, to AM (then Alan Andrews Racing) in secret to be totally re-prepared and set up for the 63 Coupe des Alpes. It then goes on to record Pat Moss (in her single year with Ford) expressing concern "in the closing stages at Monza" that Taylor's car was clearly faster than the other team cars. Only problem with that is that Pat Moss, already carrying a knee injury, was taken ill in Marseilles, didn't start the Coupe des Alpes, was medevacced to the UK and was in hospital with pleurisy by then....

#6887 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 167 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:01

Best regards Michael

Mine arrived yesterday - from first brief read, looks very good.

#6888 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 17:34

Alan Mann - A Life of Chance
It must be "progress" but, like so many other new books, this one seems to me a bit thin for its price tag (which is not significantly discounted at present, compared to many others). Despite the title, it is very much the story of Alan Mann Racing rather than Alan Mann. The obligatory early life section is not matched with anything post AMR until we get to "modern" historic racing. Aviation enthusisats may therefore be disappointed to find virtually nothing regarding that major post-AMR phase, other than a veiled reference to classified work, with helicopter anti-missile measures mentioned. Although I was once briefly on the periphery of that subject, I have no recollection of any Alan Mann Group company being involved. His post-AMR private life is dismissed in a couple of sentences. Still, many of us castigated Jackie Stewart's book for spending too much time on his non-driving career, so we can't complain too much and overall this book is "a good read".
There may well be much new insight for those who's interest lies in GT and sports racing cars and there is certainly a view of Ford's "disfunctional" (to use a current buzz word) corporate performance in that area. Shelby and Holman and Moody seem to escape the worst of AM's censure but few others seem to! Even Walter Hayes attracts the odd adverse reference and John Wyer was clearly never ever destined to make it on to AM's Christmas card list. We knew relations with Stuart Turner never rose from rock bottom in period as: "he didn't like me and I didn't like him" dates back some time. That things never mellowed is now indicated by a blunt : "he doesn't speak to me". This raises the question of whether all these people were quite as bad as portrayed or whether AM himself was part of the problem...
I was sorely disappointed to learn little new about the AM saloon cars. The good Mustang listing of car identities/use can already be found on a US Mustang web site that held long telephone conversations with AM some time ago. The Falcon identities/use/fate can also be pieced together far more comprehensively than it is here. For Cortinas and Escorts that detail is disappointingly limited. I had hoped to find confirmation/details of the AM involvement in setting up the works rally Lotus Cortinas for the 66 Coupe des Alpes but no mention is made. Interestingly, AM's entry of two Lotus Cortinas in the 66 Monte, separate from the three works cars, is attributed to a Walter Hayes initiative to "sharpen things up". Totally conflicting statements then follow as to whether or not the AM cars also had dipping headlights and would have been excluded with others. Engine failure on both cars from using the wrong oil suggests it wasn't the works team, by then under Henry Taylor, that was most in need of sharpening up...
A very good story is made of Henry Taylor bringing his works Cortina GT from Ford Comps, then at Lincoln Cars, to AM (then Alan Andrews Racing) in secret to be totally re-prepared and set up for the 63 Coupe des Alpes. It then goes on to record Pat Moss (in her single year with Ford) expressing concern "in the closing stages at Monza" that Taylor's car was clearly faster than the other team cars. Only problem with that is that Pat Moss, already carrying a knee injury, was taken ill in Marseilles, didn't start the Coupe des Alpes, was medevacced to the UK and was in hospital with pleurisy by then....

Thanks for the detailed review, RS.

I'm intrigued, is there anything on the events of April '68, and the claim that were it not Mann's poor admin, Jim Clark would have been in a Mann-entered F3L at Brands, and not at Hockenheim? I've never seen Mann's side of the story. Has he taken it to the grave?

#6889 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:43

Thanks for the detailed review, RS.

I'm intrigued, is there anything on the events of April '68, and the claim that were it not Mann's poor admin, Jim Clark would have been in a Mann-entered F3L at Brands, and not at Hockenheim? I've never seen Mann's side of the story. Has he taken it to the grave?

No, he makes it clear he knew some time before that it was not going to happen. Chapman had managed to get agreement from Hayes to releasing them only if he (Chapman) had not marked their dance card for an appearance for him. This he immediately did. Graham Hill (who persistently gets good references on many counts from AM) then phoned AM to say he'd just received the call from Chapman and suspected he would soon receive other "bookings" if ever pencilled in again for the F3L. AM says JC was seriously in the frame at one point and had provisionally allocated some of his permitted "days in UK" to the BOAC 500, so that seems to dismiss claims that it was never remotely possible JC would drive there.
As a spectator I can't remember now whether JC/NGH were in the official programme still. They were weren't they? If so AM's timings suggest he or the organisers should have made it clearer earlier on that there would be change. Wouldn't have helped the gate receipts...?
Incidently, he says he learnt of JC's accident only when he returned to his road car after the race and found Mike Spence in his car parked next to it in tears.

#6890 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 311 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:36

No, he makes it clear he knew some time before that it was not going to happen. Chapman had managed to get agreement from Hayes to releasing them only if he (Chapman) had not marked their dance card for an appearance for him. This he immediately did. Graham Hill (who persistently gets good references on many counts from AM) then phoned AM to say he'd just received the call from Chapman and suspected he would soon receive other "bookings" if ever pencilled in again for the F3L. AM says JC was seriously in the frame at one point and had provisionally allocated some of his permitted "days in UK" to the BOAC 500, so that seems to dismiss claims that it was never remotely possible JC would drive there.
As a spectator I can't remember now whether JC/NGH were in the official programme still. They were weren't they? If so AM's timings suggest he or the organisers should have made it clearer earlier on that there would be change. Wouldn't have helped the gate receipts...?
Incidently, he says he learnt of JC's accident only when he returned to his road car after the race and found Mike Spence in his car parked next to it in tears.

Thanks, RS. This alone puts the book on my wanted list. Tony Dron should be applauded for getting Mann to open up as much as he clearly did.

#6891 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:57

Thank you RS !

#6892 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35

Just received the latest Le Mans 1980-89 by Quentin Spurring..

Very interesting as ever, especially the smaller marques are well dealt with (Dome,Alba....).

I have a slight fear, that there are no more in the pipeline, from the originally planned eight volumes.

The Haynes catalogue shows nothing until June '13.

Maybe I'm wrong. 90-99, 00-10, 1923-1938???? are still missing...

best regards Michael

#6893 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:13

Eceterini -lovers:

ERMINI--a new book

http://www.libreriad...b...59&PAgenv=1

To my knowledge the first book on Ermini.

Regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 21 November 2012 - 19:20.

#6894 motorbookworm

motorbookworm

• 22 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:29

Eceterini -lovers:

ERMINI--a new book

http://www.libreriad...b...59&PAgenv=1

To my knowledge the first book on Ermini.

Regards Michael

Also available in the UK from here:

http://www.allautobo...hp?book_id=2340

#6895 John Player

John Player

• 426 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 18:14

I was looking to buy the book FORMULA 1 IN CAMERA 1980-89 and apparently theres is two different covers, one is a 1989 McLaren and the other is a 1992 (?) McLaren. Which one was actually released?

#6896 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,038 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:45

TETHER CARS

I'm looking for a book on Tether Car Racing (if one exists?), or an article. Wasn't there one in Automobile Quarterly??

Many thanks Michael

#6897 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54

I was looking to buy the book FORMULA 1 IN CAMERA 1980-89 and apparently theres is two different covers, one is a 1989 McLaren and the other is a 1992 (?) McLaren. Which one was actually released?

My copy is dated June 2005, and the blurb says that the jacket illustration is Senna in a '89 Mclaren

#6898 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,254 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:08

TETHER CARS

I'm looking for a book on Tether Car Racing (if one exists?), or an article. Wasn't there one in Automobile Quarterly??

Many thanks Michael

Have a look here: Spindizzies :wave:

#6899 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,392 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:41

My copy is dated June 2005, and the blurb says that the jacket illustration is Senna in a '89 Mclaren

There appear to be three different dust jacket photos, presumably for different editions of the book:

http://www.google.co...p...gK&dur=2126

http://www.google.co...p...zgK&dur=188

http://www.google.co...p...TgK&dur=287

Advertisement

#6900 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,254 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:56

There appear to be three different dust jacket photos, presumably for different editions of the book:

http://www.google.co...p...gK&dur=2126

http://www.google.co...p...zgK&dur=188

http://www.google.co...p...TgK&dur=287

The third of those is the one which appears on Haynes' website. The others (both on Australian sites, I notice) are probably copied from earlier pre-publication webpages and were never updated.