Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7743 replies to this topic

#7001 LordAston

LordAston

• 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:56

I have come to conclussion that SS Collins book Autodrome 2 is never going to be published....a great what might have been.

Advertisement

#7002 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:06

Agriculture, Furniture and Marmelade

another new title from Greg Mills. A South African book!!!

http://www.kalahari....2/46801991.aspx

Best regards Michael

A nice book. Well written with lots of photos.

#7003 MarcSonnery

MarcSonnery

• 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:51

:clap: Hello all:

Very happy to report that "Maserati the Citroën years 1968-1975 was printed in Somerset last week, flew over to meet my publisher Doug Blair there and see it be born: a very special day after 5 years of on off work.

It is 156000 words, 510 pages, I went really deep because that era is the heart of my passion and am fully satisfied, nothing was left on the table. It almost 5 kilos so can also be used to block a door or a Maser:-)

It is avaialble directly via:

http://www.eaurougep...e-citroen-years

through secure courrier.

Please do not purchase via Amazon as they have no stock and have never even contacted us so your order would sit there for weeks....

I hope to see many of you at Retromobile, will be there tomorrow to Friday, the book wil be at Horton's and Gilena, will happily sign copies for anyone wanting my squashed mosquito signature:-)

I had images taken at the printer's and their locomotive size high tech machine but this system won't let me post them, pity.

best regards,

Marc

Edited by MarcSonnery, 05 February 2013 - 10:51.

#7004 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:42

I have come to conclussion that SS Collins book Autodrome 2 is never going to be published....a great what might have been.

My sentiments re: Inside Track

Jack

#7005 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,576 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:58

Yay, no more trips to the State Library for me in order to pore over John Medley's

Bathurst, Cradle of Australian Motor Racing

as I've been lucky enough to have procured a copy for myself.

Posted Image

(Did I say yay???!!!)

John, how many got printed?

Edited by SJ Lambert, 08 February 2013 - 07:58.

#7006 group7

group7

• 62 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40

a friend has asked for my idea for a ferrari book, for someone who has several of the cars. his word were" do you know of a book that is rare, or deep" money no object in this case ! I might ad. do any of the members here have suggestions ?

thanks mike

#7007 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,164 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 14:45

Gimme his address, I'll write one for him. It will be rare, too.

#7008 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:22

a friend has asked for my idea for a ferrari book, for someone who has several of the cars. his word were" do you know of a book that is rare, or deep" money no object in this case ! I might ad. do any of the members here have suggestions ?

thanks mike

Try this: http://www.ferrarich...70-post972.html

Or this: http://www.ferrarich...83-post230.html

#7009 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 16:26

Talking of 'mad' Ferraribooks..

http://www.thisisopus.com/ferrari/

Only 37 kg...

Regards Michael

#7010 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,169 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 17:28

Talking of 'mad' Ferraribooks..

http://www.thisisopus.com/ferrari/

Only 37 kg...

Regards Michael

I expect it's a case of "If you have to ask the price..."

I'm not that big a Ferrari fan, not post the Enzo era anyway, but any ideas about the cost of these monuments to bad taste and excess?

#7011 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:29

thanks mike

There are hundreds of Ferrari titles, and dozens of those could be considered "rare or deep" so is your friend more interested in the race cars or the road cars, or an overview of the cars and the company's history? I don't know of a single volume that really does justice to all three subjects. Or is he simply interested in a highly collectible book that happens to be about Ferrari?

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 07 February 2013 - 20:30.

#7012 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:25

I expect it's a case of "If you have to ask the price..."

I'm not that big a Ferrari fan, not post the Enzo era anyway, but any ideas about the cost of these monuments to bad taste and excess?

Rob it's far cheaper than the book from the Ferrarichat above (that Marcel Massini described)..

Only if you order the DIAMOND edition of the OPUS in the region (??) of 150kGBP...

Oh Ferrari and bad books is a thread for itself....

Michael

#7013 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 23:43

Oh Ferrari and bad books is a thread for itself....

Michael

How about: Ferrari books with nothing in them that hasn't been published before.

#7014 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 13:53

Am I allowed to suggest;
http://www.ferrarich...3-post1229.html
http://www.ferrarich...7-post1066.html
Available from www.hortonsbooks.co.uk
Nathan

#7015 ry6

ry6

• 523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 13:58

Yay, no more trips to the State Library for me in order to pore over John Medley's

Bathurst, Cradle of Australian Motor Racing

as I've been lucky enough to have procured a copy for myself.

Posted Image

(Did I say yay???!!!)

John, how many got printed?

Judging by the cover it looks an absolute 'STUNNER"

#7016 ry6

ry6

• 523 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 14:00

A nice book. Well written with lots of photos.

Agreed, a very good book. I know Greg and the trouble and effort he puts into his works is incredible.

Generall the proceeds go to a good charitable cause too - helping drivers, mechanics, marshalls, officials and those connected with racing who have fallen on hard times.

#7017 group7

group7

• 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 15:12

gentlemen, thank you for all your suggestions for my friend as to ferrari books. I agree with comments such as "bad ferrari books" and "books with nothing in them that's not been seen before" ! but I believe I will suggest he go with mr. ferners "rare" book ! will now hunker down here in ontario canada in the teeth of a raging blizzard with a warm beverage and peruse my library.

thank you mike

Edited by group7, 09 February 2013 - 04:04.

#7018 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:20

Judging by the cover it looks an absolute 'STUNNER"

WHERE to get the BATHURST book??Or out of print??

best regards Michael

#7019 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,025 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:51

WHERE to get the BATHURST book??Or out of print??

best regards Michael

Almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Horton's currently have a copy for sale, but as I'm sure you're aware they're not cheap ;) In this case "not cheap" is a no-nonsense £200!

Advertisement

#7020 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 22:39

I reckon there'd be plenty of takers at that price. I regard it as the "best of type" in so far as Aussie circuit racing volumes covering the sport through to the seventies.

I'll certainly enjoy many hours running through it with Dad, he'll get a hell of a memory jog seeing the Arnold Super Squalo again to name but one.

Horton's spiel. Shamelessly copied........

"The challenging Mount Panorama motor racing circuit at Bathurst, New South Wales, is famous not just in Australia but throughout the motor racing world. From the first meeting in 1938 until 1973, cars of widely differing types and configuration raced here.

Sports cars, "open wheelers" and saloons all competed in their respective classes. Famous marques and cars such as the Dixon Riley, Alfa Romeo P3, Frazer Nash, MG, Lago Talbot, Maserati 250F, Cooper 500, Torana, Charger and Mustang are the very stuff of Bathurst motor racing, as were the drivers, amongst whom were Kleinig, Whiteford, Davison, Brabham, Bartlett and Moffatt.

Every race is detailed here, with entry lists giving every car, every driver, and also the stories of what happened prior to, during and after the races - great anecdotes. Alarming escapes (both on and off the track) and some audacious ruses to outwit authority.

These are the stories and events that made Bathurst a household word amongst the racing fraternity everywhere."

Edited by SJ Lambert, 09 February 2013 - 01:20.

#7021 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:10

I have only just noticed this thread. Thanks for the compliments about the Bathurst book. I too think it is agood book. I am proud of it
I believe the print run was 3000, and congratulations on finding your own copy James( not enough Elfin pics perhaps. from one Elfin owner to another?)

#7022 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,576 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:01

No worries John. Tis a magnificent tome. I reckon that with only a little help we could cover the Elfins from inception to late sixties in style!

#7023 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:46

"From the first meeting in 1938 until 1973, cars of widely differing types and configuration raced here."

This should indicate to younger readers that the book deliberately avoids the annual long-distance touring-car races, concentrating instead on events for real racing cars (without roofs)

#7024 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:54

This should indicate to younger readers that the book deliberately avoids the annual long-distance touring-car races, concentrating instead on events for real racing cars (without roofs)

Well said.

#7025 David Wright

David Wright

• 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:14

So why does it say?

Sports cars, "open wheelers" and saloons all competed in their respective classes. Famous marques and cars such as the Dixon Riley, Alfa Romeo P3, Frazer Nash, MG, Lago Talbot, Maserati 250F, Cooper 500, Torana, Charger and Mustang

Every race is detailed here, with entry lists giving every car, every driver,

#7026 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,576 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:24

I'm with you guys with the "Real race cars don't have roofs" thing!!!

It does have the tin tops of the era, but in the early days it was predominantly "no roof racing" (perhaps even virtually exclusively for a time) - rooves crept in later on and then once Armstrong 500 that turned into the Hardie Ferodo or whatever it was that they called it got a real hold on the Mountain the real racing cars (ones without rooves) got the bums rush.

Not sure if I'm a younger or an older reader - guess I'm younger in the context, as Dad was making real racing cars in the sixties - so I'll be concentrating on the real racing cars therein!!!

#7027 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05

Almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Horton's currently have a copy for sale, but as I'm sure you're aware they're not cheap ;) In this case "not cheap" is a no-nonsense £200!

Thank you Vitesse2 -have found it myself--even with the strong EURO...too steep..

Regards Michael

NB the print run was 3000 according to John..maybe some more will come to the market???

#7028 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:37

To David Wright:

Those saloons competed in supporting races at the regular Bathurst meetings. The long-distance races are not covered

#7029 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:13

As someone "over here" who, thanks to being on TNF for many a year now, has been able to develop something of an interest in the history of our sport "down there" as well as "over there" and elsewhere other than just the UK, and from the normal period magazine coverage as a youth, I bought a copy of John's book some time ago from Chris Knapman for a reasonable price.

The book is everything which you would expect from a Chronicle of Racing at Bathurst by such a key writer. I have not read it in its entirety, but like Ray's excellent F5000 book, it serves as a work into which to dip, or to browse at leisure, hopefully slowly taking in the various facts. The photos also represent a key feature in such an archive/reference work.
Highly recommended to have on the bookshelf
Usual disclaimers
Roger Lund

edited, spelling error

Edited by bradbury west, 09 February 2013 - 12:13.

#7030 David Wright

David Wright

• 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:41

To David Wright:

Those saloons competed in supporting races at the regular Bathurst meetings. The long-distance races are not covered

Thanks for the clarification/explanation, and warning that the author's claim to cover every race isn't correct.

#7031 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:18

Two wonderful books on the Giro di Sicilia:

http://www.gilena.it...h.php?s=messina

The author Nino Minutoli was 'eyewitness' to some of the 50s races..

In Italian only, but wonderful pictures..

Best regards Michael

#7032 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:29

Long lead time items from Amazon:

Inside Shelby-American: Wrenching and Racing with Carroll Shelby in the 1960s by John Morton

The Cars of Trans-am Racing: 1966-1973 by David Tom

Le Mans Legendary Race Cars: 90 Years of Speed by Stuart Codling and James Mann

#7033 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:12

Inside Shelby-American: Wrenching and Racing with Carroll Shelby in the 1960s by John Morton

The Cars of Trans-am Racing: 1966-1973 by David Tom

Le Mans Legendary Race Cars: 90 Years of Speed by Stuart Codling and James Mann

Thanks Frank--worth waiting--if published at all..

Michael

#7034 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:30

Thanks Frank--worth waiting--if published at all..

I certainly hope so, since it has some of my photos in it!

Tom

#7035 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 16:32

I certainly hope so, since it has some of my photos in it!

Tom

I read that as "Wenching... at first glance :lol:

#7036 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 17:10

I read that as "Wenching... at first glance :lol:

Good joke--but I confess I had to look up 'wench'..

Michael

#7037 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 18:56

Friends:

Those of you who know my friend Tom Warth, the ex-pat founder of Classic Motorbooks in the early 1960s, will enjoy a visit to his Facebook site: http://www.facebook....8372263?sk=wall

Those of you who don't know him will enjoy it, too, especially if you're looking for had-to-find automotive books. For a while, Tom was the only used book dealer I knew who had his own helicopter, since replaced by a huge old Rolls-Royce...

Frank

#7038 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,025 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 18:16

Newman was a seriously good racer with a genuine passion for the sport . And made a far better racer than Graham Hill made an actor too...

Apropos nothing in particular I found this picture on the hard drive of an old computer I've just had taken out and shot. No idea when or why I saved it though :stoned:

Posted Image

#7039 proviz

proviz

• 210 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:44

"World Encyclopedia of Racing Drivers" - listed by Haynes for June publication. Three volumes, 2500 entries, £175!
By Peter Higham, so should be taken seriously.

Advertisement

#7040 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 14:35

"World Encyclopedia of Racing Drivers" - listed by Haynes for June publication. Three volumes, 2500 entries, £175!
By Peter Higham, so should be taken seriously.

here the Haynes link:

http://www.haynes.co.../...7&langId=-1

Amazon seems to deliver an edition printed on 'bible-paper', only 2.2 cm thick... :drunk:

Best regards Michael

#7041 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 307 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:53

Those of you on the West Coast may like to know that Parnelli Jones will be signing copies of his autobiography, As a Matter of Fact I am Parnelli Jones, at Tina van Curen’s wonderful Autobooks Aerobooks in Burbank on Saturday, 16 March, 1000 – 1400.

http://www.autobooks....com/events.php

Rgds

Paul

#7042 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 14:59

New and interesting books from the Palmier web site:

HISTOIRE DE LA COURSE AUTOMOBILE 1894-1914 tome 1
HISTOIRE DE LA COURSE AUTOMOBILE 1915-1929 Tome 2
MUSTANG EN COMPÉTITION
SHELBY COBRA 50 ANS

#7043 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 15:29

New and interesting books from the Palmier web site:

HISTOIRE DE LA COURSE AUTOMOBILE 1894-1914 tome 1
HISTOIRE DE LA COURSE AUTOMOBILE 1915-1929 Tome 2
MUSTANG EN COMPÉTITION
SHELBY COBRA 50 ANS

hello Frank,

the Delsaux titles seem to be reprints (extended) of his own published titles (three of planned five were published).
The Cobra is just a translation, but the Mustang book seems to be entirely new..

Regards Michael

#7044 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 16:02

Another exotic one.
In german language.

http://www.maurusver...berg-rennen.htm

It's on the Wallberg hillclimb in Southern Bavaria.

Best regards Michael

#7045 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 23:49

Bill Sadler biography (in preparation)

In the March issue of Classic and Sportscars Mick Walsh mentions in his column, that Julian Majzub (historic racer and owner of the Sadler Mk 5) is preparing a biograpy on Bill Sadler ( together with him)

No date offered yet.

Best regards Michael.

#7046 anjakub

anjakub

• 606 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:59

Soon new and interesting book from Russia: "Скорость" (Speed). Authors: Dmitri Dashko and our friend Alexey Rogachev.

http://www.ussr-auto...s.html#20130222
http://www.avtoar.com/index.php?id=233

(A little trouble (not for me) book in Russian)

#7047 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,903 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15

I have only just noticed this thread. Thanks for the compliments about the Bathurst book. I too think it is agood book. I am proud of it
I believe the print run was 3000, and congratulations on finding your own copy James( not enough Elfin pics perhaps. from one Elfin owner to another?)

This might be a good book to read after you get through Johns great Bathurst book... :)

http://www.ebay.com....=item20cb3ec656

or possibly...

http://www.ebay.com....=item53f584e291

#7048 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:35

Just seen new book on CUNNINGHAM September 2013:

http://www.daltonwat...2013-titles/181

Best regards Michael

#7049 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:36

Also forthcoming from Dalton Watson:

Sports Car Racing in the Mid-Atlantic States, 1953-1962

#7050 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 996 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:58

And another one :Around the circuit

http://www.daltonwat...und-the-circuit

Is that the sequel to the 'Inside the Paddock' book??

Best regards Michael