• 8,059 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 23:13

Given David Cross's reported ill-health, I doubt we will ever see the book. ):

Advertisement

#7052 seb333

seb333

• 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:00

I know it's a bit late but what's your racing/automotive book of the year 2012?
To me it's seems to be "Schlegelmilch Sports Car Racing 1962-1973", I'd like to hear what you readers think about it.

#7053 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:50

To Duncan all others : AROUND THE CIRCUIT will definitely come out , It is being proofread at the moment.

David has just got safe through another cancer operation !

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 02 March 2013 - 18:22.

#7054 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:48

Very good news, Björn - thank you for letting us know.
Can´t wait for the book ! :wave:

Ralf

#7055 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,059 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:14

Bjorn, that's good to hear. Are you involved with Around the Circuit?

#7056 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:31

I am , yes.

#7057 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 15:58

Apropos nothing in particular I found this picture on the hard drive of an old computer I've just had taken out and shot. No idea when or why I saved it though :stoned:

Posted Image

Bonneville record attempts with Ferraris?

#7058 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:23

RACE MAN??

Does anyone know the book '' Race Man Jim Travers and the Traco Dynasty''??? by Gordon Chance??

http://www.amazon.co.....e man +gordon

Thanks Michael

#7059 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:12

Just this ad from motorsportcollector.com:

RACE MAN
JIM TRAVERS AND THE TRACO DYNASTY
by Gordon Chance

Forewords by:

Peter Brock - Chuck Cantwell -
Stuart Hilborn - Phil Remington -
Stewart Van Dyne

A personal tribute to Jim Travers, told by a former employee and lifelong friend.

Nicely illustrated. Hardbound. 188 pages.

$56.00 plus shipping.

Advertisement

#7060 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:17

I have a copy. It's the story of Traco, builders of racing engines for Indy 500, Can-Am, Formula A, Trans-M and other American racing series from the 1950s into the early 1970s. The book is based on interviews and memories -- the author was a Traco employee in the mid to late 60s. It's written in a breezy style -- instead of "driver x ran for y laps in race z before retiring", it's more like "A and B were known as The Fabulous Surfers -- they didn't surf but they ran one of the most feared top fuel dragsters of the early sixties." Much of the book deals with the time when Vukovich drove their Indy Car, and their relationship with Mark Donahue and Roger Penske. There are many photos. It's a fun reminiscence, but probably not a serious history book. I would not be surprised if historical accuracy was not allowed to get in the way of a good story.

#7061 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:51

I have a copy. It's the story of Traco, builders of racing engines for Indy 500, Can-Am, Formula A, Trans-M and other American racing series from the 1950s into the early 1970s. The book is based on interviews and memories -- the author was a Traco employee in the mid to late 60s. It's written in a breezy style -- instead of "driver x ran for y laps in race z before retiring", it's more like "A and B were known as The Fabulous Surfers -- they didn't surf but they ran one of the most feared top fuel dragsters of the early sixties." Much of the book deals with the time when Vukovich drove their Indy Car, and their relationship with Mark Donahue and Roger Penske. There are many photos. It's a fun reminiscence, but probably not a serious history book. I would not be surprised if historical accuracy was not allowed to get in the way of a good story.

Frank thank you--now I have an idea of the content!!!

Regards Michael

#7062 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:45

This excellent book also doesn't cover a number of hillclimb events held at the circuit

Thanks for the clarification/explanation, and warning that the author's claim to cover every race isn't correct.

#7063 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,888 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 18:08

On the Lotus 72 Haynes manual by Ian Wagstaff: something I prepared earlier...

The Haynes people are presumably finding the need for new markets now that the traditional workshop manuals are less sought after, as a result of our cars becoming more reliable and less DIY friendly. I had some idea of what to expect from this new Haynes “Workshop Manual” because I had received the Red Bull F1 car version as a Christmas present.

Of course, this is not a manual at all, but a nicely put together and concise analysis of many Lotus enthusiast’s favourite F1 car. The book starts with a run down on the preceding F1 Lotus variants, followed by a summary of its successors. The variants up to the final 72F are explained and each chassis history is detailed. Some detailed coverage of the Cosworth DFV and Hewland gearbox is included. The 72 was from the “kit car” era of F1 of course, so these parts are common to lots of lesser machines, but it’s nice that this information is included to complete the entity of the car.

The section on the various designers who worked for Colin Chapman on the 72 is fascinating, and drivers’ and mechanics’ views on the car make good reading. The section on running the 72 in modern day historic racing is a very worthwhile inclusion, and at times is actually almost like reading a proper workshop manual!

For me, the best aspect of the book is the number of original Lotus drawings which are shown. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen many of them take up a whole page. If space was needed to do this, I would have cut down on the background coverage of other Lotus F1 cars, with which I’m sure most purchasers of the book will be familiar anyway.

The author acknowledges that Michael Oliver’s Lotus 72 book is the definitive work on the subject. Few would argue with that, so why go for this book? Well for a start, some secondhand book sellers are now asking over £400 for Michael’s wonderful tome. Secondly, I’ve never read mine properly because it’s so enormous that you have to make the effort to sit down at a table to read it. I just open up it occasionally and admire it. Whether you wish to buy this “workshop manual” as well as, or instead of Michael Oliver’s book, I recommend it.

Edited by David Beard, 07 March 2013 - 18:09.

#7064 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,249 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:26

On the Lotus 72 Haynes manual by Ian Wagstaff: something I prepared earlier...

The Haynes people are presumably finding the need for new markets now that the traditional workshop manuals are less sought after, as a result of our cars becoming more reliable and less DIY friendly. I had some idea of what to expect from this new Haynes “Workshop Manual” because I had received the Red Bull F1 car version as a Christmas present.

Haynes has two seperate book divisons, manuals and "proper" books.
What you would probably be shocked to know is they make more £s no on manuals than ever before - two biggest markets are the US and Australia and if you know about the car Parc in those two countries you will understand.
The Uk still has a big business on manuals but not to the same degree and the manufacturers don't co-operate like they used to.
Haynes "proper" books are some of the best produced in the market-place, yes I'm speaking from someone who has had a book published with them but I also but a lot of books from other publishers and I haven't bought anything yet that has been better produced then my own tome...
The Haynes manuals on differing subjects (Lotus 72, PCs, how to have have sex, Spitfire Planes, etc) are a great diversion but more importantly a very strong product - even my non-car friends have heard of Haynes manuals, so long may then continue.

#7065 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:27

Just got an e-mail from David Bull Publishing that they have reprinted "Racing In The Rain" by John Horsman in a new paperback edition for $29.95. This should help everyone avoid paying $200 and up for the original edition.

#7066 blackmme

blackmme

• 461 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 15:01

Haynes has two seperate book divisons, manuals and "proper" books.
What you would probably be shocked to know is they make more £s no on manuals than ever before - two biggest markets are the US and Australia and if you know about the car Parc in those two countries you will understand.
The Uk still has a big business on manuals but not to the same degree and the manufacturers don't co-operate like they used to.
Haynes "proper" books are some of the best produced in the market-place, yes I'm speaking from someone who has had a book published with them but I also but a lot of books from other publishers and I haven't bought anything yet that has been better produced then my own tome...
The Haynes manuals on differing subjects (Lotus 72, PCs, how to have have sex, Spitfire Planes, etc) are a great diversion but more importantly a very strong product - even my non-car friends have heard of Haynes manuals, so long may then continue.

They have a McLaren M23 'Manual' coming out in the summer, I'm really looking forward to it having thoroughly enjoyed the Lotus and RedBull books (the Hawker Hurricane manual is absolutely fantastic as well).

Regards Mike

#7067 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:54

Has anybody read or reviewed As a Matter of Fact, I am Parnelli Jones, by Jones with Bones Bourcier? SPEED's Robin Miller spoke highly of it, but I'm not entirely sure I trust his literary judgment.  ;)

#7068 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:51

Easy to read, very conversational, answers many of the questions you might ask. Interesting "eye-witness" statements by his peers (so to speak). Not as self-aggrandizing as some similar autobiographies. Certainly establishes Parnelli as one of - if not THE - most versatile first-rank drivers ever, and a straightforward racer and man.

I learned we were in the same school for a while in the late 1940s, although he was a few years ahead of me and we probably were not aware of each other.

#7069 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:52

Thanks Frank!

#7070 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:22

Has anyone seen this book? Or is it a candidate for the "Books That Never Were List"?

The Hanuman Story: The History of ERA R12B and R12C

#7071 CiroMenotti

CiroMenotti

• 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:46

Has anyone seen this book? Or is it a candidate for the "Books That Never Were List"?

The Hanuman Story: The History of ERA R12B and R12C

It was completed and published in expanded form in 2011 as "ERA Man" by Tim May.
Still available AFAIK from David Kergon - email david.kergon@btinternet.com

#7072 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 15:15

It was completed and published in expanded form in 2011 as "ERA Man" by Tim May.
Still available AFAIK from David Kergon - email david.kergon@btinternet.com

Some additional info +cover of the book here:

http://www.prewarcar...man-016030.html

Michael

#7073 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 16:31

Thanks everyone! I'll add it to the "title change" list.

#7074 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:50

In two month(??):

Les Magnifiques Aston Martin "Project" 212-214-215 1962 à 1964 Aston Martin

http://www.editions-...n,fr,4,P172.cfm

Author Michel Bollée 29 Euros..

Best regards Michael

#7075 rudi

rudi

• 209 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:23

In two month(??):

Les Magnifiques Aston Martin "Project" 212-214-215 1962 à 1964 Aston Martin

http://www.editions-...n,fr,4,P172.cfm

Author Michel Bollée 29 Euros..

Best regards Michael

First non Maserati book from Michel Bollée, he was supposed to work on a Maserati 200S or 150S book...

#7076 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 21:49

First non Maserati book from Michel Bollée, he was supposed to work on a Maserati 200S or 150S book...

Rudi,

that's right for the 'marque' books. Aston is a new one. But his focus , beside Maserati, was also Monthléry and Le Mans..

Nevertheless in two month..

Best regards Michael

BTW: Talking of Maserati, I bought a copy of Maserati 5000GT by Maurice Khawam. Highly recommended!!

#7077 rudi

rudi

• 209 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:13

Rudi,

that's right for the 'marque' books. Aston is a new one. But his focus , beside Maserati, was also Monthléry and Le Mans..

Nevertheless in two month..

Best regards Michael

BTW: Talking of Maserati, I bought a copy of Maserati 5000GT by Maurice Khawam. Highly recommended!!

Of course, the Montlhéry and Reims books are gems...
I met Michel Bollée at Retromobile when he signed his last book "les Maserati du Colonel" and we listed only the missing Maserati books...

#7078 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:56

Of course, the Montlhéry and Reims books are gems...
I met Michel Bollée at Retromobile when he signed his last book "les Maserati du Colonel" and we listed only the missing Maserati books...

Fine to hear he has more Maserbooks in the pipeline..
He is a very nice gentleman!!

Regards Michael

#7079 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 16:21

Mustangs anyone??

French ETAI has just published:

Mustang en compétition, besides others Ford France and Greder..

http://www.editions-...4,etai24597.cfm

Best regards Michael

Advertisement

#7080 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:00

Porsche 917 by Joe Honda

Maybe the 50th book(let) on the 917??

http://www.editions-...fr,4,MFH007.cfm

Best regards Michael

#7081 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:17

Mustang en compétition

http://www.editions-...4,etai24597.cfm

Got my copy. This is really an interesting book. First of all: hundreds of (unpublished) b/w photos , and even some period colour shots of Mustangs ,Boss and Shelby 350GT.
It deals with UK circuit racing, Tour de France , Le Mans, French rallies.
There is Alan Mann Racing, Ford France's official entries, privateers. Furthermore a chapter with driver portraits (mainly French privateers).

And of a certain Jean-Philippe SMET from Belgium.....
Who is Smet?? Do you know his pseudonym?? Became famous (and still is) in France. His son is also racer...

A short chapter of the 'main' results, and a chapter on the 'official' Ford France Mustangs.
The 176 hb-pager has a fresh layout and is well printed , no low-res photos found...
And for 39 Euros it's good value too.

Best regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 18 March 2013 - 16:08.

#7082 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,286 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:29

In the "changed titles" list, I mentioned "Jackie Stewart '69", the working title for Eric Dymock's "Jackie Stewart: World Champion". I was hoping my proof copy might be unique, but if anyone's interested another one has just turned up on eBay: item number 111034924244

Posted Image

Edited by Vitesse2, 19 March 2013 - 08:32.

#7083 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 16:07

Rolf Stommelen

at least there will be (end of April) a book on Rolf Stommelen. Preview looks very good!

http://www.motorspor...lle-Faelle.html

Best regards Michael

#7084 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 15:51

Was this book ever published??

Quentin Spurring's driver portrait series: Mario Andretti:

http://www.amazon.co...P...3484&sr=8-3

Or are we still 'waiting' for??

Regards+thanks Michael

#7085 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 17:45

McKlein will publish a book about the history of the 24hrs Nürburgring in May with complete results:

http://www.rallyandr...sten-40-Rennen/

Looks promising.

#7086 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 22:49

Mustang en compétition

And of a certain Jean-Philippe SMET from Belgium.....
Who is Smet?? Do you know his pseudonym?? Became famous (and still is) in France. His son is also racer...

Johnny Halliday and David Halliday respectively I believe ?

Edited by LittleChris, 25 March 2013 - 22:50.

#7087 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:29

Johnny Halliday and David Halliday respectively I believe ?

Congratulations Little Chris--you have won (forgotton what!!).

Hope you haven't googled the facts...

Best regards Michael

#7088 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 14:06

Maybe this would be a bit braggart, but TNF is the very place to say that my first book was published recently. This book, named “Скорость” (“Speed”), is a complete history of land speed records in the Soviet Union, written together with Dmitry Dashko, the fellow researcher from Kharkov. It was his idea to make a book, told to me two years ago, and since then it has transformed into a big, heavy multicolour edition :) Unfortunately (for TNF people) it is in Russian only. There was an intention to publish it as bilingual, both in Russian and English, but this would have required too much time and efforts (not mention increasing the volume almost twice!), and it turned out to be absolutely impossible to find a translator who would be able to work with such a specific text, full of names, technical details, and racing terminology.

See also http://www.ussr-auto...s.html#20130222 and http://www.avtoar.com/index.php?id=233 for more details and some page thumbnails.

Posted Image

#7089 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:14

Maybe this would be a bit braggart, but TNF is the very place to say that my first book was published recently. This book, named “Скорость” (“Speed”), is a complete history of land speed records in the Soviet Union, written together with Dmitry Dashko, the fellow researcher from Kharkov. It was his idea to make a book, told to me two years ago, and since then it has transformed into a big, heavy multicolour edition :) Unfortunately (for TNF people) it is in Russian only. There was an intention to publish it as bilingual, both in Russian and English, but this would have required too much time and efforts (not mention increasing the volume almost twice!), and it turned out to be absolutely impossible to find a translator who would be able to work with such a specific text, full of names, technical details, and racing terminology.

See also http://www.ussr-auto...s.html#20130222 and http://www.avtoar.com/index.php?id=233 for more details and some page thumbnails.

Posted Image

Is it possible to purchase one and have it sent to the USA?

#7090 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:41

Is it possible to purchase one and have it sent to the USA?

I'm interested too!!!

Michael

#7091 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 16:09

The book can be purchased on a number of online shops, for instance:

http://www.1001autom...productID=10405
http://www.scaleauto...hko-arogachyov/
http://www.modelcars...re2.asp?lang=EN (search by code B-1007)

The best choice for foreign customers seems to be the last one (the only one which has a full English version and many ways of international payments) but the book is only expected there now. Perhaps it will be on offer on more online shops soon. If you fail to order the book on any of them, then send me a PM, and I'll try to send the book to you myself.

#7092 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,059 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 16:12

Posted Image

You should still consider producing an English-language version. I'm sure there is sufficient interest to justify it.
Maybe even a multilingual English/German/French/Italian version. Although higher, the the translation costs would not be four times as high as much of the text (names and numbers) would be the same or similar. Economies of scale would come into the printing as you would only need one larger print run to spread the typesetting costs over..

#7093 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 14:21

New book in Italian on Giuseppe Campari:

GIUSEPPE CAMPARI “EL NEGHER”
Author: Rino Rao

Link

#7094 pingst

pingst

• 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 13:51

Anyone who know when Quentin Spurrings next book in the Le man serie will be published (the fitht). I have already bought the first four books and look forward to the next.

#7095 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:08

The green helmet (Film)

Just found this

http://www.thevideob...elmet-1961.html

They sell this classic film of 1961. I know from time to time this film was on TV (but never in Germany i.e)

Best regards Michael

#7096 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:41

I have been given to understand that Colin Crabbe's awaited autobiography should/might be on the shelves by the end of the year.
Roger Lund

#7097 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 20:22

Congratulations Little Chris--you have won (forgotton what!!).

Hope you haven't googled the facts...

Best regards Michael

No googling required Michael, just the sort of useless fact that seems to inhabit my brain !!

#7098 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,055 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:07

No googling required Michael, just the sort of useless fact that seems to inhabit my brain !!

Great: Little Chris (Richard??)...In school (sorry) I could write down (in the 60s) more than 100 pop-bands, and in modern speaking there was not enough space left on my hard disc for the school relevant items..
You see were it all ended: at TNF.. :smoking: :smoking:

Very best regards Michael

#7099 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:54

Great: Little Chris (Richard??)...In school (sorry) I could write down (in the 60s) more than 100 pop-bands, and in modern speaking there was not enough space left on my hard disc for the school relevant items..
You see were it all ended: at TNF.. :smoking: :smoking:

Very best regards Michael

Same for me during the 1970's, Michael. Glam Rock, Punk, Metal, Southern Rock, loved them all & still do !!

Cheers

Chris

Advertisement

#7100 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:31

New forthcoming book:

The Motor Racing Photography of Louis Klemantaski
Author: Paul Parker

Link