Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#7101 seb333

seb333

• 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 18:28

Thanks for the info. The combination seems promising. Is there more Info about the Content somewhere?

New forthcoming book:

The Motor Racing Photography of Louis Klemantaski
Author: Paul Parker

Link

Advertisement

#7102 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 21:16

Thanks for the info. The combination seems promising. Is there more Info about the Content somewhere?

The Haynes catalogue shows nothing (or I haven't found it..)

Maybe Paul himself could enlight us??

Michael

#7103 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 21:25

Pilotes des Sixties

forthcoming title at Palmier.

http://www.editions-...s,fr,4,P173.cfm

Best regards Michael

#7104 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,391 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:24

Michael

I believe it will be published by the Klemantaski Collection.

Jack

#7105 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:10

Will there be a book seller at the Slverstone WEC round next weekend?

#7106 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 14:50

Will there be a book seller at the Slverstone WEC round next weekend?

I doubt it. There wasn't one at the British Grand Prix nor the Britcar 24 hour race meetings last year

#7107 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:50

There certainly was not one at the Silverstone WEC last year, more's the pity.

#7108 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 14:13

I doubt it. There wasn't one at the British Grand Prix nor the Britcar 24 hour race meetings last year

I don't think there has been one at the British GP for quite some years. Mistakenly, I went to one about 10 years ago and there wasn't one then. Plenty of 'approved' retailers all selling the same 'effwun' anoraks and umbrellas but little else. I don't think many of today's GP attendees read books ;)

#7109 nicanary

nicanary

• 446 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:37

I don't think there has been one at the British GP for quite some years. Mistakenly, I went to one about 10 years ago and there wasn't one then. Plenty of 'approved' retailers all selling the same 'effwun' anoraks and umbrellas but little else. I don't think many of today's GP attendees read books ;)

Many of them mouth the words whilst running their fingers along the print.....

#7110 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:23

Many of them mouth the words whilst running their fingers along the print.....

Probably the reason that Motor Sport has introduced a comic strip, attempting to attract more 'effwun' fans and some younger readers.

#7111 group7

group7

• 62 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 20:37

wasn't sure where to post this query. I will be spending a week in copenhagen at the end of april. any ideas for model and/or bookshops in the area ?

mike

#7112 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:37

I tend to have a habit of hissing whilst I read.

#7113 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:18

For the high rollers among us. But where are the purple rivets???

#7114 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:01

Excuse the blatant plug, but TNFers may like to know that the last few copies of John Snow, Classic Motor Racer are now available again

Snow raced in the 1936 Spa 24hrs (at the age of 20) and at Antwerp in 1938 in a Delahaye, before taking it home to Australia. In betweentimes he track-tested or practised a lot of other cars, including Maserati 8CM and Alfa Romeos 8C-35 and P3.

He is best remembered in his own country for devoting his not inconsiderable wealth to improving Australia’s racing stock – in addition to the Delahaye, he imported a Le Mans 4-seater Alfa, MG K3 and NE Magnettes, a single-seater Frazer Nash, a Dixon Riley and a Cooper-Vincent 1000, though he did not race all of them. His own racing had started in 1935 and continued into the 1950s.

Although focussed mostly on Australian racing, the book also throws new light on a young amateur’s exploits in the Northern Hemisphere at an interesting time in history, and carries detailed analysis of the sport in both Australia and Europe.

The book is the work of leading Australian racing historian John Medley, author of Bathurst, Cradle of Australian Motor Racing and a significant contributor to The 50 Year History of the Australian Grand Prix. His work on the John Snow book reflects his meticulous approach to research, and includes interviews with many of those most closely associated with the subject.

Copies are available at £18 including p&p in the UK, or £15 plus p&p elsewhere. Buyers of more than one copy pay £10 plus p&p per book. Inquiries to snowbook(at)virginmedia.com, to whom payment can be made via PayPal

#7115 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:38

Forthcoming:

McLaren: 50 Years of Racing by Maurice Hamilton and Paul Fearnley

Link

#7116 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:44

Forthcoming:

McLaren: 50 Years of Racing by Maurice Hamilton and Paul Fearnley

Link

This got me quite excited...until I saw the price.

#7117 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 20:24

I have been given to understand that Colin Crabbe's awaited autobiography should/might be on the shelves by the end of the year.
Roger Lund

That would be of interest, Roger.

Autobiography, or biography written by somebody else though? If the latter is the case are you able to share the author's name?

#7118 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:42

This got me quite excited...until I saw the price.

Prices of good racing books on this side of the pond now are regularly in the US$100-150 range. I was shocked a number of years ago as prices steadily advanced, but now it is the new norm. Don't particularly like it, but it is what the market is getting, so I pay it.
Tom

#7119 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:54

Prices of good racing books on this side of the pond now are regularly in the US$100-150 range. I was shocked a number of years ago as prices steadily advanced, but now it is the new norm. Don't particularly like it, but it is what the market is getting, so I pay it.
Tom

All true, and I have paid sums like that myself on some occasions, but in this particular case, I can't think that this book adds anything significant to what we already know, and I'm not sure that my coffee table is strong enough to support it. It will have to be quite something to improve significantly on existing books like William Taylor's McLaren - the Cars 1964-2008, and Phil Kerr's To Finish First to name just two notable works, both strongly recommended, especially the second one.

Advertisement

#7120 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:46

Rolf Stommelen

This year seems to be a 'Stommelen' year.

The Petrolpics publication ROLF book , announced for May, will be followed by this

http://www.amazon.de...=rolf stommelen

In December 2013.

Best regards Michael

#7121 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:20

Completely agree. 100 pounds for a 300 pages book about a subject already well covered. Some of us spend a sizable amount on niche books, but there is always a limit. Will duly look into it, but I will save the expense for must-have out-of-print books.

It is expensive, but as its as mass market as far as "our" type of books go, then I'm sure that there will discounts available when it comes out

#7122 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:15

Ron Dennis is not even mentioned in the blurb. Now, a good (not genuflect) (auto) biography on him is something that is missing and could have some value.

Couldn't agree more, and I'd be one of the first in the queue, but only as long as it wasn't 300+ pages of Ron-speak.

#7123 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:53

Angel Elberdin wrote "Circuito de Lasarte" before the turn of the century. It sold well, and then it became impossible to obtain. My own understanding is that copies ended up at table books, and the owners were not very interested in trading them for money, so to speak.

It appears that Angel Elberdin has recovered a box or two of that original first (and only) edition of his book, and is now offering them for sale.

Although only in Spanish, there is a website with information at this address -and many pictures, by the way.

I got my copy and it is in immaculate condition.

I thought you should be told... :wave:

Posted Image

PS : We have mentioned quite a few times this book over the last 14 years. I am saving you to SEARCH for it, just click these search results.

Edited by Felix Muelas, 15 April 2013 - 11:58.

#7124 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:11

You are right and I do take advantage of those discounts, mainly ordering on Amazon marketplace.

But starting from such a high price, how much bargain do you think we would be able to get? I am not prepared to pay 70-plus pounds for reading the "exclusive" opinions of Withmarsh, Patty McLaren or Jenson Button when there are - and have read - already plenty of books on Bruce himself, the cars, as well as the recollections - of different quality, sure - of team members such as Kerr, Ramirez etc, not to mention plenty of interviews and/or biographies of the various drivers.

Ron Dennis is not even mentioned in the blurb. Now, a good (not genuflect) (auto) biography on him is something that is missing and could have some value.

Whether it'll be worth buying is an entirely different matter, perhaps wait until the reviews come out

As you say, it's covering well travelled ground.

#7125 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:51

Please excuse the plug – I have published an eBook for the Apple iPad of my early motor racing photographs.

Flat Out, A Collection of Motor Racing Photographs features over 200 of my favorite motor racing photographs shot between 1972 through 1981. The eBook includes 9 chapters with images from Seventies Formula 1 at the Nurbürgring to the introduction of IMSA GTP cars.

Flat Out, A Collection of Motor Racing Photographs - Chapters
Formula 1
Gilles Villeneuve
Formula 2
Endurance Racing
Touring & GT Cars
Sports Cars & Interseries
North American Open Wheel
SCCA Can-Am
IMSA

There are screen shots from the book available at http://trackthoughts.com/portfolio-items/f.../#!lightbox[18167]/0/

The 168 page eBook is available for $US 6.99.

Please note that Flat Out can only be viewed using iBooks 3.0 or later on an iPad. iOS 5.1 or later and is only available on the Apple iBookstore.

https://itunes.apple...d632985786?ls=1

Bill

#7126 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:35

Has anyone already seen the Chas Parker Silverstone book, and the Amedee Gordini??? Both now available.

Many thanks Michael

#7127 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:47

Do women ever participate on this thread? The reason I ask comes from a recent exchange with my dear wife, one that will probably strike a responsive chord with many of you. As a longtime Nuvolari fan, I've been looking for a good copy of Count Giovanni Lurani's book on the man, and I've recently paid a fair sum for a nice copy. Like most couples we have few secrets, and I told my other half what I'd done (though not what I'd paid for it). Her response? "But you've already got a book about him". How should I attempt to explain?

#7128 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,712 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:33

How should I attempt to explain?

Use the same argument next time she wants a new pair of shoes?

#7129 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:12

Do women ever participate on this thread? The reason I ask comes from a recent exchange with my dear wife, one that will probably strike a responsive chord with many of you. As a longtime Nuvolari fan, I've been looking for a good copy of Count Giovanni Lurani's book on the man, and I've recently paid a fair sum for a nice copy. Like most couples we have few secrets, and I told my other half what I'd done (though not what I'd paid for it). Her response? "But you've already got a book about him". How should I attempt to explain?

Be honest - look her in the eye and say "Not this one!" and if necessary qualify it with "You know what an anorak I am".

The other approach I have used is to hand it to her and say "Here's a Christmas [or birthday] present someone can give me". This only works in the 6 weeks or a month before the day when people are getting desparate about what to buy you. This year my daughter gave me some money which soon found its way to Abebooks and in this case I didn't need to supplement it.

#7130 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:37

What a blessing, a wife with no great interest in motor racing, but who will watch, with interest, bits of the TV coverage of races, and to whom the name Nuvolari actually means something. Not sure I realised it before, but I'm a lucky man, even if she does question some of my book buying.

#7131 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:21

Kayemod,

And just to rub it in, you're going to now tell us she likes beer and plays golf....  ;)

#7132 DJO

DJO

• 45 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:17

Has any body else noticed how awful the standard of photography has become in Autocourse? There has been a decline over the last few years, with dull and uninteresting shots that are often underexposed. The thing is, this is not a cheap book that is still regarded as 'the F1 annual - they really should do better. The answer would be to employ Darren Heath, who is always interesting: www.darrenheath.com

#7133 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 15:03

My complaint about the photography in Autocourse is different. I miss the variety that they used to feature. Now, the current shots are all good, but there is a degree of sameness about them. That is, one flips from page to page, or even from year to year, and the shots are basically uniform. Race car at speed, race car cornering, two race cars dicing, head shots of individuals, etc. I go way back to the days of the 1960s on, when the main body of photography was black and white, and there seemed to be many more 'offbeat' shots. That is, odd stuff, spectators, area shots, pit popsie shots, and so on. Rather hard to explain, but shall we say much more variety over a broader range of subjects.

Tom

#7134 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 19:52

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I have no knowledge of Peter Higham's other books, so don't know what to expect.
http://www.haynes.co.../...7&langId=-1

#7135 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:11

Amazon has previews of a select choice of pages.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=peter higham

#7136 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 20:17

Michael

Thank you for your interest and apologies for the tardy response, a combination of computer malfunctions and other issues have kept me otherwise engaged for a while.

Basically this is a book featuring Klem's work that starts in the 1930s and finishes in the late 1960s. It is not an 'in Camera' book per se although I have retained the chronological format. The captions are larger than usual, given the eclectic and esoteric nature of the project and its backdrops, which need more thorough explanation. The earlier images are over 75 years old and Klemantaski was just as interested in people as he was the machinery.

Some of the personalities involved, especially pre-WW2, are as far removed from their latter day counterparts as could ever be imagined, indeed more so, truly the past was a different country.

The book is a joint project between the Klemantaski Collection and Haynes Publishing, the former will be a limited edition version and the latter a Haynes production.

#7137 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 20:46

Jacques Coulon was a works March F2 driver in 1974 - didn't know that. Elton Julian's summary has no mention of the Albers accident.

This doesn't look good.

#7138 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,206 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:18

Problem is the choice of drivers, it seems to me - in that it puts Paolo delle Piane on a higher pedestal than Johnny Aitken. A Formula 2 backmarker is going to be in there whereas someone who came 4th in a pre-war Grande Epreuve is not. I'd rather it be the other way around, given the wealth of material on Grand Prix starters post-1950 as opposed to pre-. Might be a browse though.

#7139 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,050 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:02

The criteria would also seem to exclude such interesting and successful characters as the Pohl brothers, Hugh Hamilton, Reggie Tongue, Eugen Bjørnstad and Karl Ebb - not to mention the likes of John Cobb, Goldie Gardner and (I assume) all pre-war South American, South African and Australasian drivers. To name but a few ...

Oh well, back to Georgano and Cutter & Fendell ...

Advertisement

#7140 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 00:27

Jacques Coulon was a works March F2 driver in 1974 - didn't know that. Elton Julian's summary has no mention of the Albers accident.

This doesn't look good.

I imagine that if you're writing a book with so many profiles, most of which appear to be a few paragraphs long, one wants to avoid going off too much and writing about other drivers iin anothers profile. The death of Marcel Albers I imagine, will be covered under "Marcel Albers".

It certainly sounds like an interesting project, but with the enormity of it all makes it feel both complete and incomplete. A mammoth collection of 2500 drivers, but at the same time, it also points out how many drivers haven't been included.

Edited by ryan86, 26 April 2013 - 00:28.

#7141 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,669 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:11

For profiles of Grandes Épreuves' drivers, I don't think you are likely to do better than the 4th edition of Steve Small's Grand Prix Who's Who. Perhaps a book on the same lines covering those outside the rarified world of post-1949 GP racing would allow a bit more scope for fuller biographies of those selected.
I noted that Steve's 3rd edition weighed 2 kilos, while his current effort weighs in at more than double that.

#7142 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,712 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:39

I think it's weighed down by all the typos.

Having said that, a great book nevertheless.

#7143 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:50

Have been getting into biographies more lately. After all, people created automotive history. The best recent one is Andre Citroen by John Reynolds. It's the only English-language bio of this unusual man, who went broke and died young in 1935, just as the Traction Avant was coming out. The writing is a bit stilted and Anglo-style, and many of the contemporary photos show British models, but there are plenty of good historic photos, too, and it's still a great read. Next up is a bio of his pal Andre Lefebvre, which is a bit hard to find (and afford). What are your favorite hard-to-find biographies?

Edited by fbarrett, 26 April 2013 - 13:51.

#7144 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:57

Hm. Actually, I was pretty excited when hearing about this, and felt sure to order one. Seeing those preview pages, however, I don't think I will bother... :well:

#7145 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:22

Thank you for your interest and apologies for the tardy response, a combination of computer malfunctions and other issues have kept me otherwise engaged for a while.

Basically this is a book featuring Klem's work that starts in the 1930s and finishes in the late 1960s. It is not an 'in Camera' book per se although I have retained the chronological format. The captions are larger than usual, given the eclectic and esoteric nature of the project and its backdrops, which need more thorough explanation. The earlier images are over 75 years old and Klemantaski was just as interested in people as he was the machinery.

Some of the personalities involved, especially pre-WW2, are as far removed from their latter day counterparts as could ever be imagined, indeed more so, truly the past was a different country.

The book is a joint project between the Klemantaski Collection and Haynes Publishing, the former will be a limited edition version and the latter a Haynes production.

Paul thank you!! Are there , hopefully, many new , unpublished Klem-photos, as there are already some books with Klemantaski shots around.????

Best regards Michael

#7146 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:49

Paul thank you!! Are there , hopefully, many new , unpublished Klem-photos, as there are already some books with Klemantaski shots around.????

Best regards Michael

As ever I have tried to use less familiar or unknown images, and bear in mind that those old 1950s books which featured much of Klemantaski's work were, with exception, rather poorly reproduced on paper.

Meanwhile I'm gearing up for the next one, hopefully.

#7147 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,010 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:04

As ever I have tried to use less familiar or unknown images, and bear in mind that those old 1950s books which featured much of Klemantaski's work were, with exception, rather poorly reproduced on paper.

Meanwhile I'm gearing up for the next one, hopefully.

You are perfectly right. I thought more of the Palawan book and the Italian books: Klem on Ferrari, Aston Martin etc..

Now I'm curious (and others certainly too) 'next one'???????????????????? :clap:

Best regards Michael

#7148 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06

I was in The Works last week. They had stocked Grand Prix Battlegrounds(£13) and 2012 Season Review (£15).

#7149 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:11

I was in The Works last week. They had stocked Grand Prix Battlegrounds(£13) and 2012 Season Review (£15).

The only Works I ever visit is my local one in Poole, I was there only last Saturday, and not a single motor-sport related book anywhere as far as I could see. I think what each shop stocks is very much down to individual managers, the one who runs the Poole outlet appears to be a fan of some activity called 'football', whatever that is.

#7150 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:54

I don't know whether it's down to the manager or down to head office - "The records show you sell a lot of cooking/ gardening/ football/ motoring/ whatever books so here's a couple more boxes ...". But it's always worth looking in more than one branch, just in case... Local to me I have Croydon, Sutton and Crawley and the stock does vary between them. The other problem is "Once it's gone, it's gone"