Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7872 replies to this topic

#7151 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:40

I don't think this has been mentioned here before, but Amberley Publishing have just released 'Silverstone Circuit Through Time' in their series which contrasts 'then and now' photographs and includes a nicely concise history of the foundation of the circuit. The authors are Anthony Meredith and Gordon Blackwell, Gordon having been able to collect the recollections of the right people in his role as a long-serving steward of the BRDC clubhouse. Interesting pen-portraits of Jimmy Brown and Smith Churchill and descriptions of its role as a WW2 airfield together with some interesting early photographs (some courtesy of Simon Lewis and Ted Walker) and while the chioice of later photographs is somewhat quirky, it's worth a look, and, what's more, won't break the bank.
http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/1445606364

Has anyone already seen the Chas Parker Silverstone book,

Any takers?

Advertisement

#7152 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:31

Autosport goes French!!!

After Classic and Sportscars , now Autosport in France!!

Cover here.

http://www.motors-ma...3-mai-2013.html

Best regards Michael

#7153 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:07

Schlegelmilch to GETTY Images!!

http://www.schlegelm...hp?automobile=0

Best regards Michael

#7154 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:14

Have not bought any books for a while but was trolling eBay and saw these books all for $45.

Famous Racing Cars (David Hodges 1962)
Fifty Years with the Speed Kings (David McDonald 1961) "Dunlop Mac"
Motor Racing Facts and Figures (Rodney Walkerley 1961)

#7155 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:11

Another McLaren book:

McLaren from the Inside by Tyler Alexander
Link

#7156 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:32

Have not bought any books for a while but was trolling eBay and saw these books all for $45.

Famous Racing Cars (David Hodges 1962)
Fifty Years with the Speed Kings (David McDonald 1961) "Dunlop Mac"
Motor Racing Facts and Figures (Rodney Walkerley 1961)

Famous Racing Cars is a small landscape format book. It covers about 40 cars from the 1908 Fiat to the 1961 ferrari. Format is consistent - a photo on the left hand page, and a brief description, specification and profile drawing on the right hand page. No glaring errors that I noticed. I had this 'back in the day' and now have a 2010 reprint.
Motor Racing Facts and Figures is exactly what it says on the tin: results from the year dot. First 3 places for major races and just the winner for some of the others.the choice of races is somewhat eclectic with minor races having a bit of a british bias and certainly Euro-centric with only Indianapolis and Sebring getting a mention. There are better compilations around now, but I still refer to my copy on occasions.
I've not read Fifty Years with the Speed Kings

Not a bad $50 worth

Edited by D-Type, 07 May 2013 - 07:44.

#7157 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 14:49

"McLaren from the Inside by Tyler Alexander"

I did a little editing on the book, so I can tell you that it's a collection of Tyler Alexander's personal photography, heavily captioned. Published by David Bull, so it'll be good.

Frank

#7158 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 16:28

I don't think this has been mentioned here before, but Amberley Publishing have just released 'Silverstone Circuit Through Time' in their series which contrasts 'then and now' photographs and includes a nicely concise history of the foundation of the circuit. The authors are Anthony Meredith and Gordon Blackwell, Gordon having been able to collect the recollections of the right people in his role as a long-serving steward of the BRDC clubhouse. Interesting pen-portraits of Jimmy Brown and Smith Churchill and descriptions of its role as a WW2 airfield together with some interesting early photographs (some courtesy of Simon Lewis and Ted Walker) and while the chioice of later photographs is somewhat quirky, it's worth a look, and, what's more, won't break the bank.
http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/1445606364

Any takers?

I bought a copy. Its an interesting book and inexpensive, but its far too small to do justice to the photographs. I'd have happily paid another 50% to have a 50% larger book

#7159 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 23:31

Have any of you on the east side of the pond heard anything lately about the availability date for the new edition of Carrera RS? I was told over two years ago that it was in preparation, but there's been no further action.

Frank

Advertisement

#7160 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:44

On the Don Moore thread, Robert Edwards says that a re-issue of Archie and the Listers is on its way.

#7161 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 14:48

Have any of you on the east side of the pond heard anything lately about the availability date for the new edition of Carrera RS? I was told over two years ago that it was in preparation, but there's been no further action.

Frank

Frank...SOON??? Announced for Spring 2013...

http://www.tag-books.com/

Best regards Michael

#7162 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 17:45

Has anyone heard any news on the Phil Hill book "Inside Track" when it will be available ? Is this book still going to be published or will it be still born?

This book is number one on my wish list.

#7163 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 20:52

Best regards Michael

A delay of a few years is nothing in automotive publishing!

Mick

#7164 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,412 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:28

Has anyone heard any news on the Phil Hill book "Inside Track" when it will be available ? Is this book still going to be published or will it be still born?

This book is number one on my wish list.

Same here. I finally quit asking a couple of years ago when inquiries sent to the parties involved went unanswered, and assume it won't see the light of day. It was the book I was most looking forward to as well. What a shame.

Also, I'd like to see a serious Phil Hill biography while some of the great man's contemporaries are still available to be interviewed. His life was so much more than just his racing career, it would be fascinating and gratifying reading.

Jack

#7165 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:28

... I'd like to see a serious Phil Hill biography while some of the great man's contemporaries are still available to be interviewed. His life was so much more than just his racing career, it would be fascinating and gratifying reading.

Wasn't Mr Nye working on one, together with BRM volumes 4, 5 & 6 etc, etc...

#7166 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:21

Best regards Michael

I contacted them...in 2013 was the answer!!

http://www.rsbuch.at/

Regards Michael

#7167 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 15:17

Finally out

http://www.rallyandr...sten-40-Rennen/

24 h of the Nürburgring ,the first 40 years....

As far as I can see in GERMAN only...but 700+ pics and results and atmosphere...

Enough advertising.

Michael

#7168 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:35

Same here. I finally quit asking a couple of years ago when inquiries sent to the parties involved went unanswered, and assume it won't see the light of day. It was the book I was most looking forward to as well. What a shame.

If I recall correctly, DCN is involved with it.

#7169 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 168 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:17

MES POP CARS par Maître Hervé POULAIN,

Does anyone have any feedback on this book please. Primarily interested in quality / quantity of photography.

Thanks

#7170 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 14:47

Any thoughts on "Grand Prix Battlegrounds: A Comprehensive Guide to All Formula 1 Circuits Since 1950" ?

A £40 RRP book currently in The Works for £12-99.

(I tried a search and failed).

#7171 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 17:21

At £12.99 you have to ask whether it is better value than 2 1/2 magazines: Motor Sport, Octane, Classic & Sports Car etc

I didn't buy it as |I already have Formula One Race Circuits by Mirco de Cets and from a quick look I feel "Battlegrounds" covers the same topic

#7172 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:56

This book is upcoming. It was released in Italian only, but is now getting an English translation on June 1st according to Amazon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anyone know if it is worth checking out?

Edited by BoschKurve, 20 May 2013 - 01:57.

#7173 seb333

seb333

• 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:16

This book is upcoming. It was released in Italian only, but is now getting an English translation on June 1st according to Amazon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The book is available from other sites, just ordered it, it's the translation of the following Italian version:

http://www.libreriad...sp?IDBook=11686

Edited by seb333, 20 May 2013 - 10:18.

#7174 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 17:11

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dear Boschkurve,

the first title you show is a different one (some years older). The Giorgio Nada title is now available in English, after being originally in Italian only..

The second contains 100+ photos, the first one only a few and was written by Buzzonetti ''without'' Mauro...

Best regards

michael

#7175 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 18:14

Hi Michael,

The first book: 30 Anni di Ferrari is available in English? Do you happen to know what the English title is?

I did not see it offered in English on the website seb333 linked to.

Thanks.

#7176 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:45

Hi Michael,

The first book: 30 Anni di Ferrari is available in English? Do you happen to know what the English title is?

I did not see it offered in English on the website seb333 linked to.

Thanks.

Dear Boschkurve,

The first (30 anni di Ferrari) is ITALIAN only!!

The second (big) one is now available in ENGLISH (Forghieri on Ferrari 1947.....)
Link of LdA:

http://www.libreriad...sp?IDBook=12563

Regards Michael

#7177 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:38

Gran Premio di Bari

New (exotic) Italian book on the GP races at Bari.

http://www.libreriad...b...12&PAgenv=2

Regards Michael

#7178 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 22:48

Any thoughts on "Grand Prix Battlegrounds: A Comprehensive Guide to All Formula 1 Circuits Since 1950" ?

A £40 RRP book currently in The Works for £12-99.

(I tried a search and failed).

I'd sayit a nice book to flick through etc., but it wasn't personally enlightening or provided me much in the way of new information.

#7179 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 474 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:00

Top co-driver and later Vauxhall Motorsport manager Mike Nicholson’s autobiography LISTEN TO ME! The Life and Times of a Rally Co-Driver is due to be available from 1st June: www.mikenicholson.info

Advertisement

#7180 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,639 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:17

If Mike's book is anywhere near as good as the talk he gave Bristol Pegasus Motor Club last autumn, it'll be excellent and very funny. Not sure how Mike's wonderful driver impressions (especially Tony Pond) will come across on the printed page, though.

#7181 pilota

pilota

• 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 19:35

Dear Boschkurve,

The first (30 anni di Ferrari) is ITALIAN only!!

The second (big) one is now available in ENGLISH (Forghieri on Ferrari 1947.....)
Link of LdA:

http://www.libreriad...sp?IDBook=12563

Regards Michael

The English version of Forghieri's book is very interesting - plenty of illustrations, and the Forghieri's comments on his time at Ferrari are quite revealing, and explain what was happening behind the scenes. I really enjoyed it.
Nathan

#7182 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,412 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 21:26

Wasn't Mr Nye working on one, together with BRM volumes 4, 5 & 6 etc, etc...

Yes, along with a southern California photographer named Dawson, and, I believe, Derek Hill. I have sent several inquiries to the Phil Hill website, all without response. (Who owns that site?) I quit asking DCN a year or so ago for fear of becoming a pest. I contacted Dawson a couple of times and never received a response. There is some speculation of a conflict among the author(s) and the Hill family. The lack of information certainly does nothing to discourage such speculation.

#7183 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:57

I just read bios of Andre Citroen, then Andre Lefebvre, then Men, Women, and 1000 Kites by Voisin. The latter covered only his aviation work, so his "automotive autobiography" interests me. Has anyone read My Thousand and One Cars by Gabriel Voisin, now available in English? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Frank

#7184 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 18:44

Racing Demons – Porsche and the Targa Florio
Michael Keyser – Mark Koense – Enzo Manzo

http://www.autosport...e-targa-florio/

Could be interesting.

Regards,

Mick

#7185 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:26

Racing Demons – Porsche and the Targa Florio
Michael Keyser – Mark Koense – Enzo Manzo

My goodness, Mark has been a busy chap, what with this and the forthcoming Zandvoort opus. I look forward to seeing them both.

#7186 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 00:20

Some time ago on another thread, Tuboscocca mentioned a book on Sitges that had been advertised, but not published. Today I ran across a book in Catalan on Sitges, apparently published in 1999: Autòdrom Nacional: vida efímera d'una gran obra by Antoni Mirabent i Muntané. Then I found this page, published on Feb 10, 2013, with the interesting statement: "El libro está agotado, pero una nueva versión bilingüe en castellano e inglés está próxima a aparecer y podrá adquirirse en las librerías locales", which Google translates to: "The book is out [of print, presumably], but a new version in Castilian and English bilingual is about to appear and can be purchased at local bookstores.". So is there anyone in Spain or elsewhere who can confirm this? It is not listed at Libro Motor in Barcelona. Is this the book Tuboscocca was referring to?

#7187 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:12

I have both books.
My 1001 Cars is a well executed book.
like his book on his planes, it is written in Gabriels personal style .... including his strong opinions...his personal live, his affairs with Women.....
However, I have not fully read it yet.
Paul

I just read bios of Andre Citroen, then Andre Lefebvre, then Men, Women, and 1000 Kites by Voisin. The latter covered only his aviation work, so his "automotive autobiography" interests me. Has anyone read My Thousand and One Cars by Gabriel Voisin, now available in English? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Frank

#7188 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:41

Some time ago on another thread, Tuboscocca mentioned a book on Sitges that had been advertised, but not published. Today I ran across a book in Catalan on Sitges, apparently published in 1999: Autòdrom Nacional: vida efímera d'una gran obra by Antoni Mirabent i Muntané. Then I found this page, published on Feb 10, 2013, with the interesting statement: "El libro está agotado, pero una nueva versión bilingüe en castellano e inglés está próxima a aparecer y podrá adquirirse en las librerías locales", which Google translates to: "The book is out [of print, presumably], but a new version in Castilian and English bilingual is about to appear and can be purchased at local bookstores.". So is there anyone in Spain or elsewhere who can confirm this? It is not listed at Libro Motor in Barcelona. Is this the book Tuboscocca was referring to?

Dear Frank, thanks for finding this...As Mario Laguna is mentioned, we should ask him..

Now to 'my' Sitges expirience...Many years ago there was an article in Motorsport on Sitges..and an advertisement of an' English' gentleman (with a German-sounding name) , who said he owns this site and they will do a big book..I send my cash for two books..all went bust..Contacted him , he now has (had) a racing park in UK (if I'm right), he told me he lost much more than I with my 'shabby' two books..
I would think he NEVER intended to do a book, just collecting money...(hit and run business) .You see I'm still angry.

Conclusion : the book on the website , you sent, seems to be something different..

Regards Michael

#7189 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,108 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:54

New books, some exotic themes:

Eternel Le Mans 1949-59 Photos Washington Michel Bonté (from 8 June)

http://www.editions-...r,4,wash001.cfm

Circuit de Dieppe 1929-35 (June 2013)
http://www.editions-...s,fr,4,P175.cfm

GP de Mons J-P Delsaux (two races at Mons 1949/50)
http://www.motors-ma...ix-de-mons.html

Best regards Michael

#7190 MCS

MCS

• 3,571 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 20:41

...Now to 'my' Sitges expirience...Many years ago there was an article in Motorsport on Sitges..and an advertisement of an' English' gentleman (with a German-sounding name) , who said he owns this site and they will do a big book..I send my cash for two books..all went bust..Contacted him , he now has (had) a racing park in UK (if I'm right), he told me he lost much more than I with my 'shabby' two books..
I would think he NEVER intended to do a book, just collecting money...(hit and run business) .You see I'm still angry.

Conclusion : the book on the website , you sent, seems to be something different..

Regards Michael

Excuse my ignorance, but is their a "definitive" book on Sitges? I am there again in just over two weeks and it would be great to have as I plan to roam around.

Thanks
Mark

#7191 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 23:56

Excuse my ignorance, but is their a "definitive" book on Sitges? I am there again in just over two weeks and it would be great to have as I plan to roam around.

Thanks
Mark

As far as I know, Autòdrom Nacional is the only book on Sitges, so if that is correct, it would be the definitive work. Since you are going there, would you consider stopping in local book stores to see if it is really available, and how someone in the US might order a copy?

Edited by helioseism, 31 May 2013 - 23:56.

#7192 a_tifoosi

a_tifoosi

• 127 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 14:47

helioseism is right: Vida efímera d'una gran obra. Autòdrom Nacional is the only book ever written on Sitges-Terramar, although I wouldn't consider it as the definitive work. Not in the least. Not intending to look down on the author, he is a local historian from Sant Pere de Ribes (the town where the circuit is located) and not an expert on motorsport history.

The printed copy of Autòdrom Nacional has been out-of-print for many years, and it's impossible to find even at local bookstores (not to say Libro Motor, in Barcelona). Nevertheless, someone uploaded the book in Issuu some time ago (click here). It's only written in Catalan though.

BTW, the article linked by helioseism is written by Mario Laguna, author of "La aventura Pegaso" and someone completely trustworthy. I didn't know that the book is planned to be translated into Spanish and English, although some years ago (four, five?) there was a stand in Auto Retro (the antique cars show from Barcelona) gathering signatures for a potential reprint. I don't know whether that people is behind the current project.

Regards,
Narcís.

#7193 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:30

helioseism is right: Vida efímera d'una gran obra. Autòdrom Nacional is the only book ever written on Sitges-Terramar, although I wouldn't consider it as the definitive work. Not in the least. Not intending to look down on the author, he is a local historian from Sant Pere de Ribes (the town where the circuit is located) and not an expert on motorsport history.

The printed copy of Autòdrom Nacional has been out-of-print for many years, and it's impossible to find even at local bookstores (not to say Libro Motor, in Barcelona). Nevertheless, someone uploaded the book in Issuu some time ago (click here). It's only written in Catalan though.

BTW, the article linked by helioseism is written by Mario Laguna, author of "La aventura Pegaso" and someone completely trustworthy. I didn't know that the book is planned to be translated into Spanish and English, although some years ago (four, five?) there was a stand in Auto Retro (the antique cars show from Barcelona) gathering signatures for a potential reprint. I don't know whether that people is behind the current project.

Regards,
Narcís.

Thanks, Narics, for the additional information. From the digital version, it does look like the emphasis is more on the architecture of the nearby towns rather than on the racing. But I guess not very many events were held at Sigtes.

#7194 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:36

A number of forthcoming items from Dalton Watson. Sorry if any of these have been mentioned before.

The cars of Vel Miletich and Parnelli Jones by Jim Dilamarter and Ren Wicks Jr. Publication in June 2013 at US$69.

Bahamas Speed Weeks by Terry O'Neil. New edition with more images and coverage of the recent Revival events. For publication in late Fall, 2013

Sports Car Racing in the Mid-Atlantic States, 1953-1962 by Terry O'Neil. For publication in Fall, 2013

Briggs Cunningham by Richard Harman. A major two volume book will be first available for sale at Lime Rock, Cunningham event in early September 2013.

Around the Circuit - Racing car transporters and support vehicles at work by David Cross. A sequel to Inside the Paddock. Scheduled for publication in late summer, 2013.

#7195 a_tifoosi

a_tifoosi

• 127 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:09

Thanks, Narics, for the additional information. From the digital version, it does look like the emphasis is more on the architecture of the nearby towns rather than on the racing. But I guess not very many events were held at Sigtes.

Yes, you're right. The core of the book focuses on the circuit (antecedents, building, racing, etc.), although there's also plenty of non-racing related stuff.

A few years ago Rafa Reyna posted a list of events held at Sitges: here. As you can see, there were quite a few.

Narcís.

Edited by a_tifoosi, 07 June 2013 - 11:10.

#7196 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 168 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:39

Top co-driver and later Vauxhall Motorsport manager Mike Nicholson’s autobiography LISTEN TO ME! The Life and Times of a Rally Co-Driver is due to be available from 1st June: www.mikenicholson.info

Book arrived in time for Fathers Day gift. Halfway through and, thus far, is essentially a collection of memories from a long motor sport career. Early mention of Brailsford and District Motor Club (Derbyshire) caught my eye as my parents were members at a similar time, but they don't recall Mike.

An enjoyable read. However, it does suggest a good subject for a podcast - audio - or, better still, video intercut with some classic rally cars at full pelt.

#7197 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 16:48

Friends:

Had the pleasure of visiting Lyon, France, last week and stumbled upon a good automotive bookshop: Miniatures & Librairie Mecanique, 6 rue de l'Anciente Prefecture, 69002, Lyon. www.librairie-mecanique.com, 04.78.92.92.03. They have a good selection of new books, many in English, but very few used titles. Mostly a model shop (with some very good ones, including a 2CV fire engine, which I brought home) but worth a visit if you are nearby.

Also had the audacity and optimism to walk into Shakespeare's in Paris and ask if they had a transportation section. They didn't laugh at me but probably should have.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 22 June 2013 - 01:34.

#7198 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,431 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 19:02

Also had the audacity and optimism to walk into Shakespeare's in Paris and ask if they had a transportation section. They didn't laugh at me but probably should have.

Frank

You mean they didn't have Hemingway's "The Old Man and the C-type"? :drunk:

#7199 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 00:04

New book:

Finnish Formula History 1947-89, from Midgets into Modern Times
In Finnish and English.

"more than 460 pages, more than a thousand pictures, 370 + people in the pictures racer, a Finnish Formula One history from its beginning, ie from 1947 to the 1980's to the end."

Link

Also available from David Thomas.

Advertisement

#7200 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,639 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:17

Finnish Formula History 1947-89, from Midgets into Modern Times
In Finnish and English.

There's quite a bit of discussion about this book, including input from one of the people behind it, in this thread:

Kauko Ranta, Finnish Driver