Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7751 replies to this topic

#7451 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 243 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 13:39

I got my copy of 1967 Chria Amon, Scuderia Ferrari and a Year of Living Dangerously yesterday from David Bull.  So, don't believe that March, 2014 release date.  As you'd expect, a really well turned out book.  Lots of pictures, and it is almost like a diary of the year, going race by race, with lots of commentary by many of the major players of the day.  It is focused on Amon, but there is a lot of material on other teams and the season in general.  I've only had about an hour to look through it so far, but I'd highly recommend it.

Advertisement

#7452 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,044 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 21:07

A friend who runs a charity shop has received a donation of a copy of John Dugdale's Great Motor Sport of the Thirties.

greatms30.jpg

She offered it to me first, but as I already have a copy I declined.

However, they have a policy of not charging much for books - added to which the shop is not in a location where this rather rare tome is likely to find a buyer - so I volunteered to try and find a purchaser for it at a decent price. Copies on ABE start at £25 + postage, so what I propose is a blind auction by Private Message. The book is located in Bristol so unless you can guarantee to collect it (if so, please state!) your bid should include a nominal £5 in respect of UK P&P.

If interested, PM me your (sensible!) bid by midnight GMT on December 3rd. Highest bid secures!

#7453 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 22:55

New book:

Optimism: The Enthusiast's Guide to the Great Aussie Special Racing Cars

4th edition, printed in October 2013, Compiled by Dick Willis

Link

#7454 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 00:46

Does anyone know if the late Anthony Pritchard's forthcoming book on Ferrari GP cars will be published?

#7455 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:39

Does anyone know if the late Anthony Pritchard's forthcoming book on Ferrari GP cars will be published?

Hi Jack
Before Tony died he told me that it would be published by Veloce, but I don't know if the manuscript was finished. Maybe Veloce could advise.
Nathan

#7456 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:29

Hi Jack
Before Tony died he told me that it would be published by Veloce, but I don't know if the manuscript was finished. Maybe Veloce could advise.
Nathan

Thank you, Nathan.  I checked Veloce's web site and sadly the book was not listed among its future titles.

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 30 November 2013 - 21:35.

#7457 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 21:33

Received today a flyer of PALAWAN Press.Talking of A.Pritchard, they will publish his Jaguar D type book in 2014(?)-Exclusive of course..no price mentioned..

Regards Michael

NB not one word in this advertisement on the passing of Anthony Pritchard...

Edited by Tuboscocca, 30 November 2013 - 21:34.

#7458 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:31

I got my copy of 1967 Chria Amon, Scuderia Ferrari and a Year of Living Dangerously yesterday from David Bull.  So, don't believe that March, 2014 release date.  As you'd expect, a really well turned out book.  Lots of pictures, and it is almost like a diary of the year, going race by race, with lots of commentary by many of the major players of the day.  It is focused on Amon, but there is a lot of material on other teams and the season in general.  I've only had about an hour to look through it so far, but I'd highly recommend it.

I've got a copy of this quirky, but enjoyable book. In the forward the author recommends two books by Richard Garrett - "Fast and Furious" and "Anatomy of a Grand Prix Driver".

Are these worth getting?

#7459 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 15:49

Thank you, Nathan.  I checked Veloce's web site and sadly the book was not listed among its future titles.

Jack

Jack

amazon uk  still lists the book...

http://www.amazon.co...rari +pritchard

Which means nothing!!

Michael

Advertisement

#7460 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 20:41

If any of you need very early copies of AutoCourse magazine, see my ad  at http://forums.autosp...zines-for-sale/

Moderator: I obediently listed the ad in the (evidently subtly located) For Sale/Wanted section but have had no response, so I'm mentioning it here and begging for your understanding.

#7461 motorbookworm

motorbookworm

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:47

If any of you need very early copies of AutoCourse magazine, see my ad  at http://forums.autosp...zines-for-sale/

Moderator: I obediently listed the ad in the (evidently subtly located) For Sale/Wanted section but have had no response, so I'm mentioning it here and begging for your understanding.

Having looked at the prices I suspect I may have found the reason why there has been no response.... :eek:

#7462 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 16:44

Where can you get them cheaper, MBW?

#7463 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 18:05

Porsche 917 Archive 1968-75, by  Näher (the 'bible').

This book will be reprinted (engl. Version too!) in March 2014. Avoid silly offers..

http://www.amazon.de...words=917+näher

regards Michael

#7464 David Wright

David Wright

• 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 21:23

I've got a copy of this quirky, but enjoyable book. In the forward the author recommends two books by Richard Garrett - "Fast and Furious" and "Anatomy of a Grand Prix Driver".

Are these worth getting?

I have "Fast and Furious".  As a fan of the simulation Grand Prix Legends which simulates the 1967 F1 season, the fact that this book covers the 1967 season was a big draw.  The author covers each race from the perspective of a different team giving a behind the scenes view.  There is also a nice chapter on Bob Anderson.  If you are interested in the 67 season in particular and are looking for something different to race reports it is worth getting.  I got my copy for £15 some time ago.  Not sure what they are charging now.

#7465 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 15:37

Targa Florio

just got a copy of the new Targa Florio book.

http://www.rallyandr... 1955 1973.html

This is a very elegant tome (slipcased) 30x30cm , 400 pager.(3 languages: German,English,Italian) Author: Ed Heuvink.  Photos: mainly  B.Cahier.

It totally differs from chronologically arranged books, as it chooses specific chapters to the track, drivers and others. Each chapter is superbly illustrated with seldom seen photos of cars in detail, Sicilian spectators and of course action photos! Great photos of the  Twinny-Mini. In the last part is a quick run-through to the years 55-73 and abbreviated results.

BUT the book lives from its spledid photographs!!!

I would recommend it strongly (no commercial interest!!). And 99,90 Euros for such a book is absolutely ok!!

Regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 07 December 2013 - 15:40.

#7466 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:09

New forthcoming books from McFarland

The Great Savannah Auto Races: A History Of The American Grand Prize 1908-1911

Tanya A Bailey

June 15, 2014

Link

Tony Hulman:The Man Who Saved The Indianapolis Speedway

Sigur E. Whitaker

May 15, 2014

Link

Edited by helioseism, 10 December 2013 - 14:13.

#7467 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 14:50

I have "Fast and Furious".  As a fan of the simulation Grand Prix Legends which simulates the 1967 F1 season, the fact that this book covers the 1967 season was a big draw.  The author covers each race from the perspective of a different team giving a behind the scenes view.  There is also a nice chapter on Bob Anderson.  If you are interested in the 67 season in particular and are looking for something different to race reports it is worth getting.  I got my copy for £15 some time ago.  Not sure what they are charging now.

Thanks for replying David.

I found one on Abebooks for a tenner including postage and a copy of Anatomy of a GP driver for £8.50 so took the plunge

#7468 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:49

New book on the Porsche Carrera -  powered Porsche cars (4 cyl., dohc).

To be published in April,  written by an ex- Porsche employee in collaboration with the Porsche Museum. History of the successes of Porsches --powered by the famous Carrera engine..

860 pages!! (German /English)

Regards Michael

#7469 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 385 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:55

Midget Car Racing, Belle Vue Speedway 1934-39, by Derek Bridgett (Fonthill Media, 2013)

Excellent account, good photos, a few typos but an important snippet of the history of affordable racing that is now more fully on the record.

And all in 124 nice pages.

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 02:08.

#7470 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 15:26

And an affordable price too!  :up:

#7471 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 385 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:30

And an affordable price too!  :up:

And can be read in 2 or 3 'lyings' (in bed).

:up:

#7472 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:49

Hello

I understand that Thierry Boutsen has released an autobiography many many years ago, just wonder if anyone knows if there was an English version of it?

boutsen.jpg

Also, has there been a book released for the career of Riccardo Patrese book (in English)?

thank you

#7473 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:25

Hello

I understand that Thierry Boutsen has released an autobiography many many years ago, just wonder if anyone knows if there was an English version of it?

boutsen.jpg

Also, has there been a book released for the career of Riccardo Patrese book (in English)?

thank you

As far as I am aware, the answer to both of these questions is "no". The only Patrese book I know of is "Patrese 200 Volte Via!", by M. Refini, published in Italian by Editrice NIS in 1991. I have one other Boutsen book in my data base: "Racing With Thierry Boutsen", a comic book from 1982 published in Dutch by Louis de Poortere.

#7474 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:17

So....What books are you hoping to receive this Christmas?

Jack

#7475 wolseley680

wolseley680

• 77 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:24

Whirlwind - Westland's Enigmatic Fighter by Niall Corduroy - published by Fonthill GBP25.

#7476 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 20:36

So....What books are you hoping to receive this Christmas?

Jack

I'll not reproduce my list here (as it's at least 20 books long), only the caveats:

• Please steer clear anything with a title containing ‘History of…’, ‘Encyclopaedia of …’, ‘Complete …’, or ‘Formula 1’ . 
  • Please check whether I already have a book.

#7477 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 14:18

So, what did Santa bring?  (Guess which ones weren't on my list!)

Lewis Hamilton, The Biography - Frank Worrall

David Coulthatrd, His decade in Formula 1 - Anthony Rowlinson

100 Greatest Grands Prix - Motor Sport staffers

Motor Racing, The pursuit of victory 1930-1962 - Anthony Carter

Tony Robinson, The biography of a race mechanic - Ian Wagstaff

So, I'll have a fair amount of reading matter for a while.

Edited by D-Type, 26 December 2013 - 14:18.

#7478 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 235 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 17:31

Not a book, but a DVD. Hope that's okay for this thread.

http://www.mercedes-...e78c1c7e5cdb3e3

"Magical Moments - The Time of the Silver Arrows".

A Daimler-Benz production. 530 minutes worth. It appears to be a combination of newly recreated scenes with actors and original footage as well as interviews with motor racing personalities such as Sir Jackie Stewart, Jochen Mass and Hans Herrmann. The colour archive footage sounds interesting.

#7479 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,708 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:18

I received Motorsport Greats in Conversation and I have this year's Autocourse waiting for me as well. I also picked up a cheap copy of The Limit (there are more left!) from The Last Book Shop in Salisbury a few days ago.

Edited by midgrid, 27 December 2013 - 09:19.

Advertisement

#7480 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 21:35

Porsche Memories..

http://www.amazon.co...rds=mike de udy

Has anyone seen or bought this one??

You can 'LOOK into..' Massive book with lots of text and photos..

Regards Michael

#7481 ChrisM

ChrisM

• 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 00:02

For anyone interested in vintage racing, the history of the Le Mans 24 hour race, or racing Model T Fords, I have just written a book on Charles Montier and his French racing Fords.

This story has never been told in any depth before in English, and the 32 page book costs US$20 including postage to anywhere.

This is available from the publisher VeloceToday at;

http://www.velocetod...h-racing-fords/

if you are in USA or Canada.

For UK, European or Australian and New Zealand contact myself, the author, at;

cmscarstuff@bigpond.com

For more details contact either of these links.

Thanks

Chris Martin

Edited by ChrisM, 29 December 2013 - 00:03.

#7482 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 2,823 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:19

As far as I am aware, the answer to both of these questions is "no". The only Patrese book I know of is "Patrese 200 Volte Via!", by M. Refini, published in Italian by Editrice NIS in 1991. I have one other Boutsen book in my data base: "Racing With Thierry Boutsen", a comic book from 1982 published in Dutch by Louis de Poortere.

thanks for the info, i suspected that there's no English version of either book, that's too bad as i'm also interested in drivers aside of the big names.

#7483 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 235 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:22

I couldn't find a full reference, other than a passing mention, to Philip Newsome's book on Teddy Yip on this thread. I have just read the book and would like to say that it was an enjoyable read. The book explored the wide variety of Teddy Yip's motor racing activities with plenty of good quality photographs from various sources. By the author's own admission the book is a celebration of Teddy Yip's motor racing so anyone looking for any critical insight to the man's private and business life should look elsewhere. Having said that a brief explanation of Yip's background, family life and business interests is provided. I think the book is well presented and comes with a slipcase.

"Teddy Yip - From Macau to the World and Back"

by Philip Newsome (the author of the Macau GP book "Colour and Noise")

published by Blue Flag Press

Can be obtained directly from Blue Flag Press:- http://www.blueflagp...d-and-back.html

#7484 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:53

Targa Florio

just got a copy of the new Targa Florio book.

http://www.rallyandr... 1955 1973.html

This is a very elegant tome (slipcased) 30x30cm , 400 pager.(3 languages: German,English,Italian) Author: Ed Heuvink.  Photos: mainly  B.Cahier.

It totally differs from chronologically arranged books, as it chooses specific chapters to the track, drivers and others. Each chapter is superbly illustrated with seldom seen photos of cars in detail, Sicilian spectators and of course action photos! Great photos of the  Twinny-Mini. In the last part is a quick run-through to the years 55-73 and abbreviated results.

BUT the book lives from its spledid photographs!!!

I would recommend it strongly (no commercial interest!!). And 99,90 Euros for such a book is absolutely ok!!

Regards Michael

I have this massive volume. Since I'm not interested in sportscar racing (except for the Group C era) the book is for sale. Please PM me with offers.

#7485 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 17:31

Has anybody ever seen a copy of the biography of Piers Courage by Patrick MacNaghten? It was privately published in 1972 for the family of Courage and is very rare. I would like to get a scan of the cover if possible. Note -- this is NOT the readily available biography of Courage by Adam Cooper. Thanks in advance.

#7486 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,695 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:34

I'll not reproduce my list here (as it's at least 20 books long), only the caveats:

• Please steer clear anything with a title containing ‘History of…’, ‘Encyclopaedia of …’, ‘Complete …’, or ‘Formula 1’ . 
  • Please check whether I already have a book.

Thank you for highlighting two of my in Camera books, was it something I said or the cut of my jib, as many have enjoyed these titles over the years and continue to do so.

#7487 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:11

Thank you for highlighting two of my in Camera books, was it something I said or the cut of my jib, as many have enjoyed these titles over the years and continue to do so.

Paul, most definitely not your  "~ in Camera" books, which are on my list, although I don't think the family will find them in a high street shop anyway

I think you know the type of book I mean -   "The [Boy's] Formula 1 Yearbook 20xx) which comes out in time for Christmas in 20xx but is actually  a regurgitation of the one they did last Christmas with details of races in (20xx - 1) and the calendar for the 20xx season. 

#7488 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,695 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 15:03

Paul, most definitely not your  "~ in Camera" books, which are on my list, although I don't think the family will find them in a high street shop anyway

I think you know the type of book I mean -   "The [Boy's] Formula 1 Yearbook 20xx) which comes out in time for Christmas in 20xx but is actually  a regurgitation of the one they did last Christmas with details of races in (20xx - 1) and the calendar for the 20xx season. 

Duncan,

It would appear that Autosport.com are subject to ad hoc ads appearing onscreen, a sort of pro-active marketing bullshit so my sincest apologies as now your 24 December post carries an ad for Plusnet in the UK but for me in Switzerland its pushing Ipad minis and Sunrise.

This also happens on the home page and is usually based on what you have been looking at online in the recent past, in the case of your Christmas Eve post the front covers of my 1950s Sports car in Camera and 1970s Vol 2 F1 books were in direct line with your steer clear of comment.

Someone needs to explain how this kind of intrusive and unwelcome marketing can find its way onto our individual screens, perhaps it is via cookies, I've discussed it with David (McKinney) and he will speak to the website about it.

Happy New Year!

Paul

#7489 charles r

charles r

• 5,585 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:58

My Christmas present to myself. A really offbeat approach that works and there are some really wonderful photographs of the 312/67 and P4. Recommended.

#7490 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 16:28

Speaking of Ferrari:

A new ONE-tome book on ALL Ferraris (yes!!)

http://www.tutteleferrari.com/

Can't say anything yet...

Michael

#7491 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 17:30

the most accurate......? And they start telling that Scuderia Ferrari raced Alfa Romeos into 1939 ??????????

#7492 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,044 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:14

the most accurate......? And they start telling that Scuderia Ferrari raced Alfa Romeos into 1939 ??????????

Hmm, doesn't bode well for accuracy, does it? For reasons unclear, an entry was apparently made in SF's name in Brazil in 1938 (although it could just be the Brazilian press getting it wrong, based on previous entries), but the Scuderia had of course ceased to exist at the end of 1937 and been absorbed into Alfa Romeo/Alfa Corse.

#7493 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,695 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:00

Hmm, doesn't bode well for accuracy, does it? For reasons unclear, an entry was apparently made in SF's name in Brazil in 1938 (although it could just be the Brazilian press getting it wrong, based on previous entries), but the Scuderia had of course ceased to exist at the end of 1937 and been absorbed into Alfa Romeo/Alfa Corse.

This is a common mistake by quite a few over the years methinks and is forgiveable, unless you have a working knowledge of this era or the appropriate books, it would be all too easy to make such an assumption.

#7494 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:02

Björn, don't hit the bearer!!

I know Arnaud  Meunier (author) a little bit. He is a travelling photo-reporter (own homepage) of the major modern events...

I too thought ...in ONE book???

Let's see how the book is!

best regards Michael

#7495 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:34

This may be old news to some since it was successfully funded on Kickstarter by 338 people. Jesse Alexander is self-publishing "MONACO -The Golden Age of The Grand Prix". According to the Kickstarter page, "The book is a large 12"x12" hard cover and consists of 160 pages of black & white and color images, many never seen before, with a beautiful Foreword by Sir Jackie Stewart. It will retail between $50-$60 USD."

Link1

Link2

#7496 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:49

This may be old news to some since it was successfully funded on Kickstarter by 338 people. Jesse Alexander is self-publishing "MONACO -The Golden Age of The Grand Prix". According to the Kickstarter page, "The book is a large 12"x12" hard cover and consists of 160 pages of black & white and color images, many never seen before, with a beautiful Foreword by Sir Jackie Stewart. It will retail between $50-$60 USD."

Link1

Link2

Frank--that looks like real quality..

But where to order???

Thanks Michael

#7497 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 13:50

Frank--that looks like real quality..

But where to order???

Thanks Michael

I went to Jesse's page in Link1, then to the "contact" page where I sent a request to reserve a copy. Jesse sent me back an e-mail saying that I had been placed on the list  and that I was not alone. I replied and informed him of the post on this forum so he should not be surprised by additional requests.

Edited by helioseism, 08 January 2014 - 13:51.

#7498 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 16:39

I would highly appreciate if anyone who owns a copy of Golden Boy (Mike Hawthorn) would send a scan of the pictures of my 1/87 Ferrari models shown .

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 08 January 2014 - 16:39.

#7499 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 16:58

I went to Jesse's page in Link1, then to the "contact" page where I sent a request to reserve a copy. Jesse sent me back an e-mail saying that I had been placed on the list  and that I was not alone. I replied and informed him of the post on this forum so he should not be surprised by additional requests.

Frank--thanks.Done the same!!

Michael

Advertisement

#7500 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,005 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 21:21

For all interested, Jesse Alexander has now  a Pre-Order function on the homepage (Link1)...

Regardfs Michael