Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7664 replies to this topic

#7601 VWV

VWV

• 276 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 15:48

This forthcoming book was announced at the Technical forum http://forums.autosp...indy-car/page-8

Beast, The top Secret Ilmor-Penske Engine that shocked the racing world at the Indy 500.

Summary

One of the legends of the Indy 500 is the debut of The Beast, a custom-built pushrod V8 engine that was developed in secret by Ilmor and Penske. When it debuted at the Indy 500, the engine produced roughly 200 horsepower more than its competitors.  The massive effort to design and build it in a seemingly impossible timeframe is still hailed as one of the most herculean efforts and well-kept secrets in the history of the Indy 500. In BEAST, bestselling author Jade Gurss unveils never-before-told stories of the people on two continents who created the exotic engine in just twenty-six weeks. Gurss chronicles the subterfuge and confirms and debunks myths, legends, and rumors that persist twenty years later regarding British racing-engine experts Ilmor Engineering, who designed and manufactured the engine, and American industrial magnate Roger Penske, whose race team tested and raced it. Even rare World War II fighter planes and supersonic jets roar into the heart of this high-tech tale that also stars legendary drivers Emerson Fittipaldi of Brazil, Al Unser, Jr. of the United States, and Canadian Paul Tracy.

In the final weeks leading up to the five-hundred-mile race, Mercedes-Benz came aboard to lend their brand name to the project, adding a European touch to the multinational mix. The book builds on the ever-increasing tension with the approach of raceday, reaching a suspenseful and dangerous climax at 250 miles per hour. Wrapped up inside all the intrigue and drama are the business and motivational lessons that have made Penske one of the most successful businessmen in the world and that helped Ilmor and its cofounders, Mario Illien and the late Paul Morgan, design and manufacture Indy car and Formula 1 championship–winning engines.

Beast is a compelling narrative for readers who enjoy business and technology stories or true tales shrouded in mystery, and a must-read for sports and auto-racing fans.

http://fingerprint.t...t-unveiled.html

https://www.octanepress.com/book/beast

Advertisement

#7602 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 20:07

See also, of course, Karl Ludvigsen's 1995 Ilmor book Prime Movers. Jade worked for Tom Cotter (who handled US PR for the Indycar effort) back then, so he was pretty well connected, at least after Mercedes-Benz got involved in early April.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 17 February 2014 - 20:11.

#7603 JadeGurss

JadeGurss

• 14 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 15:42

Thanks for the mention of BEAST. It's been a work in progress for more than 15 years and I'm confident people will enjoy it when it is released. The Ilmor/Penske secret pushrod engine is a project that would never be replicated in the modern times of spec cars and engines. 

I'm happy to answer any questions about the story. 

Mid-April is the expected release date in the US, and we're pushing for a hardcover release date in May for the UK/Europe. It will also be available in all eBook formats.

Thanks. 

Jade.

Edited by JadeGurss, 18 February 2014 - 16:27.

#7604 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:39

Jade:

Great to hear from you. Just ordered the book. Back in the day I tried to get my pal A.B. Shuman (may he rest in peace) at MBUSA to let me have a chance at acquiring even a pushrod from one of those engines. Heck, I would have loved to have had the chance to buy an entire engine and put it on a stand in my office! No dice. Nothing was available. What ever happened to all of them? In AB's defense, he did take us to the Penske shops in Reading and show us the little side-garage where they worked on these engines. 

That was my first year at Indy, and we quickly created a whole issue of The Star around the win and the amazing engine. I'll never forget trying to shoot photos of the Penske/Marlboro/Mercedes-Benz cars going into Turn 1 at over 200 mph.

Can't wait to read your book!

Frank

#7605 JadeGurss

JadeGurss

• 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 16:07

Great to hear from you. Just ordered the book. Back in the day I tried to get my pal A.B. Shuman (may he rest in peace) at MBUSA to let me have a chance at acquiring even a pushrod from one of those engines. Heck, I would have loved to have had the chance to buy an entire engine and put it on a stand in my office! No dice. Nothing was available. What ever happened to all of them? In AB's defense, he did take us to the Penske shops in Reading and show us the little side-garage where they worked on these engines. 

Frank - thanks for the note. AB was very well regarded, but I came aboard with Mercedes after his departure. 

Sadly, the "little side-garage" (called the Taj Mahal by the team!) has been torn down, but plays a major part in the book. 

Regarding purchasing "bits" from the engines, it is amazing how far Ilmor goes to protect their intellectual property - including destroying left over parts and even shredding drawings and calculations. There were 15 pushrod engines built between January and May of 1994, and then two more were built from spare parts following the race to serve as show engines. It's not only the complex parts they want to protect, but also the combinations of materials that were used. The Indy car engines were much more restricted than F1 in the materials allowed, but the combinations and processes were/are very tightly protected. 

I highly recommend Patrick Morgan's thread on this forum about restoring one of the PC23 chassis  - http://forums.autosp...indy-car/page-8  for more fascinating specifics. Patrick is the son of Ilmor cofounder Paul Morgan, and has a successful business - Dawn Treader Performance -  buying and maintaining historic race cars and motorcycles and much more. (His collection is mind-blowing.) Patrick played a huge role in the BEAST book, and provided CAD illustrations and immense technical support. 

Patrick has tracked almost all of the existing pushrod engines. He could give details, but if I recall correctly, he has accounted for all but two of them. 

Edited by JadeGurss, 19 February 2014 - 16:33.

#7606 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 22:08

New forthcoming book to be published May 28 by David Bull:

Link

Lancia and De Virgilio: At the Centre

Geoffrey Goldberg

"This beautiful book breaks new ground in automotive history by chronicling one of Italy's great marques through the life of designer-engineer Francesco De Virgilio. In addition to playing a central role in the creation of the first V-6 engine and Lancia's technically advanced Aurelia road car, De Virgilio was part of the company's inner circle through his marriage to the daughter of founder Vincenzo Lancia. Although individual Lancia cars have been profiled in other books, none have attempted to tell the full story of the company through the eyes of an influential insider. Lancia and De Virgilio reflects the years of research conducted by the author as well as his close ties to De Virgilio's descendants. Illustrated with everything from technical diagrams and blueprints to scores of family photographs. Sets the Lancia story against the broader backdrop of automotive, industrial, and social developments in post-war Italy, as well as stressing the personal story of De Virgilio and his family through the years."

#7607 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 18:02

Frank:

I edited Geoff's book so can tell you it's a good one, especially in that it explains De Virgilio's special V6 crankshaft configuration--as well as the Lancia family's involvement in the company. Lots of unusual photographs and other illustrations, too!

Frank

#7608 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 00:16

Browsing Amazon earlier to see what third-party sellers are asking for Mon Ami Mate, it seems to be getting a reprint due next week. http://www.amazon.co...93028130&sr=1-1 I thought I was seeing things for a minute - then remembered that I am only twenty three ...

#7609 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 2,969 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:35

Browsing Amazon earlier to see what third-party sellers are asking for Mon Ami Mate, it seems to be getting a reprint due next week. http://www.amazon.co...93028130&sr=1-1 I thought I was seeing things for a minute - then remembered that I am only twenty three ...

I see one "collectable" is priced at £140 - that'll be one signed by JMH and PJC :p

#7610 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,903 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:52

Mike Hawthorn's Champion Year has a reproduction of his signature on the title page.  One vendor appears to think it's genuine and has the book priced at £100.

#7611 motorbookworm

motorbookworm

• 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:20

I see one "collectable" is priced at £140 - that'll be one signed by JMH and PJC :p

I'm not sure how they'd describe the current 'edition' of the book.  It's a print-on-demand item produced by Mercian Manuals for Transport Bookman / Chaters and appears to be a scanned version taken from an original second edition printed on very very shiny paper and with rather fuzzy photos.  The problem is that there is no mention of this inside the book - it only states 'Second edition'.  No doubt when these filter through onto the secondhand market they will be sold as such by people who aren't aware of the background.

Mercian's re-issue to Tony Weale's Lotus Seven book is similar.  The majority of Mercian's other books do have their name on the spine in place of that of the original publisher and the fact that it is a re-issue is stated inside.  I wonder what has changed, notably with Mon Ami Mate at £79.99?

#7612 GoldenEra

GoldenEra

• 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 16:40

motorbookwork - Thanks much for the information you provided - I think I'll give this reprint a miss.

#7613 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,377 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:32

A bit of good news, if accurate:  According to Amazon (US) Pritchard's Ferrari Grand Prix book will be published this September.  Also, there is a Ferrari history by Dennis Adler and Luigi Chinetti, Jr., coming in October.

#7614 mcerqueira

mcerqueira

• 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:26

Upcoming book on Red Bull F1:

http://www.teneues.c...t-10-years.html

#7615 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:17

A bit of good news, if accurate:  According to Amazon (US) Pritchard's Ferrari Grand Prix book will be published this September.  Also, there is a Ferrari history by Dennis Adler and Luigi Chinetti, Jr., coming in October.

Jack, the Adler /Chinetti seems to be a 'reprint' or extended version of the 2006 edition (in my mind 'coffe-table' only quality)???

Michael

#7616 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:51

New book, to be published March 12:

Peugeot En Competition 1912-2012

Philippe Coignard

ETAI 

224 p, 443 photos, 48 Euros

Link

#7617 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:16

..and for lovers of American V8s..

http://www.amazon.co...ll block+veloce

Looks very interesting, Cobra,Mustang and an Indy DOHC- brochure reprinted..

Regards Michael

#7618 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:54

Paul Parker's Klemantaski book has reappeared on Amazon

#7619 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 41 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:17

Veloce Publishing have a range of titles at 50% for World Book Day (6 March) only.  http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/index.php.  Some good deals there today!

Advertisement

#7620 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 22:21

Magazine question:

BERNOULLI

http://www.racetechm...ack-issues.html

Has someone seen this publication, which is absolutely new to me :confused: ??

Regards Michael

#7621 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:34

Motorsport im Focus

http://www.amazon.de...rsport im Focus

Photos from the reknowned German photographer Hans- Peter Seufert. Mainly 60s!!

Best regards Michael

#7622 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 21:54

New Follmer biography ..

http://www.follmerbo...order_here.html

regards Michael

#7623 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 14:10

Mike Hawthorn's Champion Year has a reproduction of his signature on the title page.  One vendor appears to think it's genuine and has the book priced at £100.

Hello Duncan,

My copy of Champion Year is signed and dated in ink by its first owner J. Gordon Colquhoun 19th March 1959, I wonder what became of him.

The book's manuscript was delivered 3 days before Hawthorn's demise as noted in the opening pages, so MJH could never have signed any copies of Champion Year as you no doubt are aware.

#7624 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 466 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 17:06

Hello Duncan,

My copy of Champion Year is signed and dated in ink by its first owner J. Gordon Colquhoun 19th March 1959, I wonder what became of him.

The book's manuscript was delivered 3 days before Hawthorn's demise as noted in the opening pages, so MJH could never have signed any copies of Champion Year as you no doubt are aware.

If the Colquhoun is the man who flew bombers in WWII, built the sprint Vincent and wrote about both sets of experiences, then I'm sorry to say that I believe he has passed on. His book about Sprinting "Brands Hatch and Beyond" was self published and is now very hard to find. :cry:

Jenks quoted him at least once when someone asked him how he got things done "All you have to do is find ten minutes. After that the rest of the time comes easily".

Edited by fuzzi, 13 March 2014 - 17:08.

#7625 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 19:34

If the Colquhoun is the man who flew bombers in WWII, built the sprint Vincent and wrote about both sets of experiences, then I'm sorry to say that I believe he has passed on. His book about Sprinting "Brands Hatch and Beyond" was self published and is now very hard to find. :cry:

Jenks quoted him at least once when someone asked him how he got things done "All you have to do is find ten minutes. After that the rest of the time comes easily".

Thank you for your response that is very interesting and I shall try and find out more.

I cannot now remember when and where I bought this book, it was a replacement for one in my original collection which I sold in 1970, the collection that is.

#7626 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 23:55

The book Pole Position, A Biography of American Race Driver Rex Mays, by Robert Schilling, is on this thread's list of "books to come", but it was actually published in 2011 by Dick Wallen. Today I called Wallen and ordered a copy, $100 plus shipping. He said he has fewer than 15 copies left. For the phone number, google "Dick Wallen books".This is the only biography of Rex Mays.

Edited by fbarrett, 20 March 2014 - 23:55.

#7627 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 22:06

Racing in the Rain (Horsman) back in print from David Bull..

http://www.bullpubli...temid=72&catid=

Now as softback with Ford cover..

regards Michael

#7628 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,410 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 18:19

During the US telecast of today's Malaysian GP, David Hobbs mentioned that he has a book coming out later this year. Anybody know any more?

#7629 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,081 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 14:56

The book Pole Position, A Biography of American Race Driver Rex Mays, by Robert Schilling, is on this thread's list of "books to come", but it was actually published in 2011 by Dick Wallen. Today I called Wallen and ordered a copy, $100 plus shipping. He said he has fewer than 15 copies left. For the phone number, google "Dick Wallen books".This is the only biography of Rex Mays.

... and worth every cent of it!

#7630 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,432 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:06

Looks like 2014 has a number of book purchases in store.

#7631 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:23

Group 2 rallycars...book by McKlein..Looks interesting!!

http://www.rallyandr...d-rallying.html

regards Michael

#7632 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:52

Question!!

tried to open Horton's website...down for now three days??  Anything I missed?? :stoned:

Regards Michael

#7633 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,392 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:50

Works for me, Michael. Must be your end? Corrupted cookie, perhaps?

#7634 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,754 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 18:55

Any recommendations for good pictorial books on the Indy 500? Not looking for the recent stuff, more 1950s through late 1980s.
Thanks.

#7635 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,392 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:44

Any recommendations for good pictorial books on the Indy 500? Not looking for the recent stuff, more 1950s through late 1980s.
Thanks.

Rick Popely's Indianapolis 500 Chronicle springs to mind. Published back in 1995 and there are quite a few extremely reasonably priced copies on ABEbooks from American dealers. Large format, glossy paper, starts in 1911 with at least two pages on every race, thumbnail pictures of every starter in grid order (not 100% accurate, but close enough for jazz!) plus a few pictures of each year's race, with a brief report, notable happenings etc etc. It's a sort of clone of the Jack C Fox books, but very much cheaper!

#7636 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:52

Works for me, Michael. Must be your end? Corrupted cookie, perhaps?

Thanks Vitesse , now it works again  (all other web-addresses worked perfectly)...NOT that I have spare budget to spend... :drunk:

Michael

#7637 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 981 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:05

If you don't care to spring for the individual Indianapolis 500 yearbooks, Donald Davidson and Rick Schaffer's Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500 (2013 edition) is also worth having.

Frank

#7638 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,754 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:21

Thanks gents! I've found a copy of the Jack C Fox book at a reasonable price.

#7639 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,119 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:15

I've got all three mentioned, plus Dad has full sets of the various year books, but I have always favored the Fox books of the three for a general summary of the races. Dad got the edition that covered the 1966 race, then I got the 1967 edition and spend a lot of free time reading it time and again. That and the later 1994 edition are still two of my favorite references for the 500. I think you've made a good choice.

Advertisement

#7640 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 14:37

Memoirs of Imola...

http://www.amazon.co...emoirs of imola

According to the two 5 star reviews..a very 'bloody' title...

Anyone who has seen it??

Regards Michael

#7641 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,957 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 16:18

One not to be missed:

“Francis Howe – Motor Man par Excellence” by Tim May will be launched on Saturday 12th April at the VSCC Spring Start meeting at Silverstone.

The book will be on sale throughout the weekend at Ted Walker’s Ferret Fotographics stand in the trader’s area behind the paddock.

The book is priced at £65, with all profits going to the Motor Neurone Disease Association.

If purchased at Silverstone you can save on the cost of postage and packaging.

We will only be able to accept cash or cheques on the day at Silverstone.

Should you prefer to pay by PayPal please email enquiries@howebook.co.uk for details as to how to make your payment. In those cases, if payment is received by Friday 11th April, the book will be available for collection at Silverstone on either Saturday 12th or Sunday 13th April.

If you have any questions about the book please email enquiries@howebook.co.uk

Adam Ferrington and Guy Spollon

image002.jpg

#7642 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 294 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 17:24

Excellent news! Howe's life in all its many strands has long deserved a book, and I look forward to reading it.

#7643 Colbul1

Colbul1

• 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:03

Memoirs of Imola...

http://www.amazon.co...emoirs of imola

According to the two 5 star reviews..a very 'bloody' title...

Anyone who has seen it??

Regards Michael

I wouldn't be fooled by the 2 reviews, I was.  I managed to pick a copy up for £10 from someone who clearly had bought it and then wanted rid of it.  In the 2 reviews there is 1 sentence that is telling "I finally bought a copy and read the whole 330 plus pages in just two days."  Quite, it is exceptionally light on text, doesn't really give any new insights and the pictures look to me to be all taken from the internet as many are blurred, others not scaled correctly or justified.  The book to me appears to be slightly better than a print on demand title.  Given the option I suggest saving your money for a more worthy title as there appear to be a few Senna related books being released at the end of the month to coincide with the 20th anniversary of his death.

Colin

#7644 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35

I wouldn't be fooled by the 2 reviews, I was.  I managed to pick a copy up for £10 from someone who clearly had bought it and then wanted rid of it.  In the 2 reviews there is 1 sentence that is telling "I finally bought a copy and read the whole 330 plus pages in just two days."  Quite, it is exceptionally light on text, doesn't really give any new insights and the pictures look to me to be all taken from the internet as many are blurred, others not scaled correctly or justified.  The book to me appears to be slightly better than a print on demand title.  Given the option I suggest saving your money for a more worthy title as there appear to be a few Senna related books being released at the end of the month to coincide with the 20th anniversary of his death.

Colin

Colin THANKS...I wasn't tempted anyway..that's a good business the 20th year of Ayrton's death..But a few new titles could be interesting, photo-wise..There is even one on the small hotel (room) in which AS stayed the last years at imola...sorry to me it's a bit of Graceland or Michael Jackson's 'house' (I don't know the name...)

Maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.fr...ords=senna+hugo

Bernard Asset is a great photographer....

Best regards Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 10 April 2014 - 08:38.

#7645 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:54

New biography on Paul Frère

http://www.sergioleone.be/

Looks very good, lots of photos..

Regards Michael

#7646 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 935 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 16:54

If you don't care to spring for the individual Indianapolis 500 yearbooks, Donald Davidson and Rick Schaffer's Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500 (2013 edition) is also worth having.

Frank

...Autocourse Official History of the Indianapolis 500 (2013 edition)-just got one from amazon warehouse.de for EUR 12,76 incl. postage (nearly new)

Michael

#7647 West3

West3

• 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:16

I recently received a copy of Mike Martin's USRRC : A Record of the United States Road Racing Championship 1963-1968 and thought it was worth a few brief scribbles and first impressions.

First of all, this book is a large, substantial volume at 12.5" x 9.5", 344 pages, what feels like four+ pounds and comes dust jacketed in a nice, shiny blue box. Sorry, you'll have to do the metric conversions. It gives an overall impression of quality, easily on a par with books from well established specialist automotive publishers. Pages are nice and thick, and the typeface is crisp and appealing. Thankfully, no sepia toned pages here! Very impressive for a self-published effort.

The chapters are arranged chronologically. Each has an introduction which nicely sets the stage for the upcoming racing season, followed by individual race reports and results. Here is where Martin's book separates itself from many of its ilk. These reports are a genuine treat to read since they are frequently spiced with small anecdotes and quotes from participants and drivers, giving the reader a feel of actually having been at the race. Many well-painted word pictures here and most definitely not the usual dull statistical reportage which often inhabits such scholarly tomes.

Photo selection and variety really help make the book and, while there are perhaps a few grainy shots here and there that didn't lend themselves well to enlargement, I feel their inclusion was absolutely worthwhile in conveying the story. Page layout is quite attractive too and most, if not all, program covers occupy a well-deserved full page. Appendices include driver/manufacturer charts and course maps & information. There is also an index of drivers and circuits.

Mike Martin has an enthusiastic, engaging writing style and demonstrates an obvious passion for the series. While I am hardly an expert on the subject, the author has clearly spent an enormous amount of time and effort to produce what must be the authoritative account of this important era in auto racing history.

The USRRC has long deserved a book (any book) to chronicle its history. This one does it proper justice. For anyone with even a passing interest in this era, I believe it's worth serious consideration. Not cheap, but one often gets what one pays for.

A real treat.

Edited by West3, 11 April 2014 - 05:53.

#7648 karlcars

karlcars

• 600 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 17:20

Holy moley, Guys. For the person asking for pictures of Indycars you can't go wrong with my Iconografix titles. They include Indycars of the 1940s, 1950, 1960s and 1970s, packed with great images from the Speedway and many of my own taken during qualifying. There's also 1911-1939 for the fan of older cars.

With regard to the Ilmor pushrod Mercedes, I was the first to report in specific detail about these engines. This was done originally for 'Quicksilver Century', my history of Mercedes-Benz in racing, and also for the book about Ilmor mentioned above. This was tremendously exciting for me at the time because I was dying to know just how they pulled it off. Brilliantly is the answer.

While writing I should mention that I have finished an update of my Corvette history covering C1 through C3 from 1953 to 1982. This is volume one of a two-volume set, the latter to come out in due course. Publication date is July 4th, perfect for America's Star-Spangled Sports Car. It has nigh on 1,000 images and more than 700 pages. It's now up and running on the Bentley website.

And for those who wonder what Ferdinand Porsche did in his spare time, 'Professor Porsche's Wars' will appear in September from Pen & Sword. I don't know of any engineer/manager who achieved more in both world wars. 

That's enough for now!

#7649 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:02

A new book project deserves a new avatar. Whitney, straight ahead, is a small town in Nebraska. Quite why one of its road signs ended up on ebay, I’ll never know.

But Whitney Straight, ahead, is my particular direction of travel. I’m pleased to say that the racing driver, air ace and industrialist will be the subject of my second book. I’m just back from a week in the US, where I met Whitney’s charming daughters, Camilla and Amanda, and researched the archives of his parents, Willard and Dorothy, at Cornell University.

Target dates are to complete the research by Christmas 2015 (there are a lot of archives to visit) and the writing within the following 12 months - just so there are enough days to invest in my marriage and day job too!

TNFers came to my aid on the Villiers book, over the identity of the bastardised Bentley in the first Casino Royale movie, and Birkin’s plans for Le Mans in, I think, 1932. I regret that, in my haste to finish the appendices, I didn’t acknowledge either source of support, but I promise to give credit where it’s due this time around.

Edited by P0wderf1nger, 13 April 2014 - 11:02.

#7650 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,377 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 18:21

Great news, Paul.  I'm  looking forward to your new book. 

Road sign serendipity!

All the best,

Jack

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 14 April 2014 - 20:15.