dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 19:23

PRESS RELEASE

History of Racing at Bridgehampton Published

For Release: October, 2004

631-329-8580; contact@arteauto.com
74 Montauk Highway, East Hampton, NY 11937

The authoritative history of road racing at Bridgehampton, New York, is presented for the first time in a new book Bridgehampton Racing: From the Streets to the Bridge.

The 330-page hardcover book is a dramatic account of the sports car races held on the streets of the Long Island village beginning in 1949. The book reveals the stories behind the development of the challenging racetrack at Bridgehampton and recounts the exploits at major racing events held at the track in the 1950s and 60s when America's racing heroes competed at the Bridge. Written by automotive historian Joel E. Finn, the comprehensive account is complemented with 540 period photographs and 50 charts of race results.

Long Island has a rich tradition of hosting road racing, beginning with the Vanderbilt Cup Races run between 1904 and 1910, the largest sporting events of the time. Sports minded and affluent, the region continued to attract motor racing enthusiasts in subsequent decades, stimulating the popular interest in sports car racing and in international automotive competitions.

The village of Bridgehampton became the site of one of the earliest road racing centers in the revival of the sport after World War II. Public spirited community leaders organized sports car races on the streets, attracting sporting gentlemen and keen competition. Tens of thousands of spectators lined the country roads that formed the course route, where the finest drivers and cars of the day pushed their limits. The events brought welcome visibility for stylish summer holidays in the little town, and generated funds that supported a variety of community projects.

When racing on public roads was banned by the New York legislature, a group of local Long Island and New York City sports car enthusiasts banded together to finance and construct a masterpiece of a road racing course on land they purchased on a spectacular hilly site amidst the sand dunes in northern Bridgehampton overlooking Peconic Bay. The track, opened in 1957 during the golden age of American road racing, became one of the country's legendary racecourses.

Throughout the 1960s, Bridgehampton hosted all the most important American road racing series and attracted the nation's leading race teams and drivers. These included gentlemen racers like Briggs Cunningham and the champions of the USRRC and Can Am. Legendary drivers Walt Hansgen, Mario Andretti, Phil Hill, Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney, Roger Penske and Skip Barber all raced here. Pedro Rodriguez, Mark Donohue and Jim Hall roared through "Echo Valley" in their Ferraris, Lola’s and Chaparrals, with Bruce McLaren and Denis Hulme in their McLarens. The NASCAR stockers also raced at the track, with Richard Petty and Junior Johnson among those in the winner's circle at the Bridge. Mustangs, Cameras, Firebirds and Javelins competed in the national Trans Am championships at Bridgehampton, as the American automotive manufacturers fought for supremacy on the track.

Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes, Alfas, Maseratis, Jaguars and Lotuses filled the Bridgehampton racing weekends with excitement. A venue much loved by drivers for the awesome challenge of the track, the Bridge continued to attract SCCA and club racing events through the 1970s and '80s.

In this comprehensive account, the drama of the racing at Bridgehampton unfolds. Here for the first time are the behind-the-scenes stories about the struggles to establish the street races and the difficulties in creating the permanent circuit and then keeping it alive, Accounts of the lap-by-lap contests of daring driving and technical achievement bring the reader to the edge of the pit wall as the competitors roar by.

The book is available from l’art et l’automobile, 74 Montauk Highway, East Hampton, NY 11937 for $135 including shipping to the Continental US. NY residents add 8.75% sales tax. Orders can also be placed online at www.arteauto.com.

The book unveiling and a signing by the author is scheduled for mid October at the site of the former Bridgehampton track and the current golf course.

#803 WINO

WINO

• 513 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 21:33

If only Joel Finn knew the difference between a Jaguar D-type and the E2A.

WINO

#804 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 15:22

The Bucciali book is multi lingual:
:clap: in both French AND ENGLISH!!! :clap:
Paul

I just recieved this simply fantastic book about Bucciali
It is big, very heavy and great!
and called

Bucciali
par Christian Huet. Edition de l'auteur.2004. Text in français AND English. 275x305cm.
Couverture carton + jaquette.
That is 351 large pages about the story of one of the most excusive french cars of the 20-30's
with some racing included.
An absolute Bargain and must have for the real classic car enthousiast, if there ever was one!

They sell it for: 79 euro at

http://www.editions-palmier.fr/

free postage in Europe

#805 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 169 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 16:13

"Blue & Orange The History of Gulf in Motorsports" by Michael Cotton (ISBN No: 1-902351-20-7) is the story of Gulf Oil and a history of motor racing sponsorship that stretches from the 1930s to 2001. Witty and interesting quotes and recollections complement over 250 mostly unseen and historic images in this large-format (11x11 inch), 208 page, full colour book from Coterie Press, available October 2004.

http://www.thegulfbook.com/

#806 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:55

Gilena Motor books in Brescia seems to have a new book on the Pescara races!

http://www.gilena.it...d=218456448&da=

#807 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 18:51

Originally posted by Seppi_0_917PA

http://www.thegulfbook.com/

Only up to 2001? So no mention of Gulf's (or rather, Cumberland Farms') subsequent sponsorship of Reggie Ruggeiro in NASCAR Modifieds?

#808 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 18:58

Originally posted by Herbert
I`m looking for some information about Jack C. Fox's book "The illustrated history of the Indianapolis 500".

How many editions are there of this book? I think they were published in 1967, 1975, 1984 and 1994, but I'm not sure.

So what are the differences between them? Are the later editions just reprints of older ones or are they updated? And what are they worth?

I just recently obtained a library discard copy of the 1967 edition and sold another. The only other edition I'm familiar with is 1984, which is updated through that year but otherwise maintains the same basic format. Given that that edition initially sold for $75 US IIRC, they are all considered fairly pricey.

Carl Hungness recently had his entire publishing company up for bid on eBay, which included the rights to update the 1994 edition to 2004 and beyond.

#809 Tom Vandenhecke

Tom Vandenhecke

• 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 17:57

I'm interested in buying "Sauber-Mercedes World Champions: The Group C Cars - 1985 -1991" by John Starkey.

Is there anybody here who has read this book and what do you think of it? Thanks.

#810 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 493 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 00:50

I just recieved the Bucciali book from Editions-Palmier on Friday.
It was 49 Euros + shipping .
It's lovely.
Anton

#811 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:20

Originally posted by petefenelon
The McLaren book's been out in two editions ('84 and '88), the Brabham book only in one. And Brabham's success pretty much ended before the book was published; McLaren's was arguably at its peak when both editions came out.... so there were probably much bigger print runs ;)

Have ordered the Autocourse Brabham book from Amazon Marketplace, after giving some thought to the purchase of the Phil Drackett Brabham book. Some negative reviews about Drackett's book steered me towards the Autocourse Brabham book. Hope to get it in a couple of weeks.

#812 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 00:19

Originally posted by antonvrs
I just recieved the Bucciali book from Editions-Palmier on Friday.
It was 49 Euros + shipping .
It's lovely.
Anton

49 Euros? Their web site says 79 Euros including postage within Europe only...

Stu

#813 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 21:58

Sometimes you figure your local bookshop has got something in because they know you haven't bought anything for a while. I was in my local Borders today and they had a copy of the Brooklands Books Lotus Sports Racers compilation. (ISBN 1-85520-5556)

This is gigantic (by their standards) - a 344-page paperback. Not cheap (£27.95, about twice the price of their usual books, but it's twice as big!) Great value, I think - a wide range of articles including quite a lot of modern historical articles in colour. Everything from the Mk III to the 40 (alas no 47 or 62 in there....) - road tests, techie articles, comparisons, historical pieces... a heck of a lot of reading in there and well up to Brooklands' usual repro standards.

Highly recommended - a good addition to the Lotus bookshelf.

#814 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 00:39

New book on Pescara has just come out. I have copies on the way to me.

Il Circuito di Pescara 1924-1939

price was about $100 including post from Italy

#815 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 169 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:14

Another "new-book-to-be-published" post; from the Motorsports Collector newsletter:

By the way, Chris Nixon's new book 'Kings of the Nürburgring' should arrive just before Christmas. Working from race reports, biographies, autobiographies and personal reminiscences, Nixon tells the story of the Nürburgring through the exploits of the 14 drivers he considers true Ringmeisters, from Rudy Caracciola, who won the inaugural 1927 race to Jacky Ickx who won the last 1,000km race in 1983, An epic 135,000 words of text (320 pages) are accompanied by 250+ illustrations, many never before seen. Will be priced in the $70 - $80 range.

#816 Calhoun

Calhoun

• 19 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:27

Originally posted by Herbert
I`m looking for some information about Jack C. Fox's book "The illustrated history of the Indianapolis 500".

How many editions are there of this book? I think they were published in 1967, 1975, 1984 and 1994, but I'm not sure.

So what are the differences between them? Are the later editions just reprints of older ones or are they updated? And what are they worth?

My copy was published in 1975 and is marked "Second Edition". It is comprehensive through 1975, so I assume that subsequent editions are updates.

#817 quintin cloud

quintin cloud

• 4,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 18:16

Well I have read many of the reviews and storys in this thread I can only add one book to the list, but it is already listed and that been "The Forgotten Races" Excellent book :clap: :clap: :up: :smoking:

#818 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:18

Posted Image

Who? Where? When? Why?
No, this is the correct thread. Let me answer:

Art Evans, Phil Hill;
Fabulous Fifties Pavilion at the sumpinother Classic Historic Automobile races, North Island Naval Air Station, Coronado, California; today, 9 October 2004;
Torrey Pines Remembered tribute, book-signing, and autograph session.

Art's newest publication is a scrapbook-style effort including many photographs, newspaper articles, entry lists and reminiscences.

Become an instant Torrey Pines expert with this book and a visit to my set of recently annotated old Torrey photos.

Michael T. Lynch endorses it thusly:

"If the Ken Miles book was any indication, you better act quickly or Torrey Pines Remembered will join the list of Evans' out-of-print books."

I take this to mean it is not only good, but will sell out very soon.

$19.95 +$4.95 shipping and handling, total $24.90, to:

Art Evans,
800 S. Pacific Coast Hwy,
Redondo Beach CA

Or fax to 310-373-5988

agevans@yahoo.com

--
Frank ess

#819 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:34

Motor Racing - The Golden Age ed. John Tennant - very highly recommended collection of b/w photos. I'd previously bought my father the fascinating football volume in the same series so I knew the approach the series takes ... (there's also a cricket one which I suspect dad and I will end up buying copies of for each other ;))

The emphasis is on "unusual" shots rather than the same old cliched action shots we've all seen a million times before - I guess I've not seen 90%+ of the pics in this book. Repro standards are excellent and the large-format book is over 350 pages. A big, heavy, nicely-produced piece of work.

Subject matter - mostly 20s-30s, and 50s - with some forays through into the 60s and into the pioneering days of racing. Covers the whole spectrum of the sport, with some particularly stunning photos of record breakers and their vehicles. As well as the obvious stuff about important races, there are interesting shots of minor races, pit/paddock/workshop shots, spectators, drivers "off duty", "sideshow" events, and pretty much anything related to the sport. It's great "dip into" stuff, and (as Tennant observes in his intro) the key to it is looking at the little details as much as the overall "story" that the pics tell. The organisation is a bit chaotic, there's no obvious historic or thematic flow to the book, but that throws up some interesting clusters and juxtapositions.

Text is limited to a brief piece by Tennant and a couple of pages by JYS, then terse captions. But the pictures tend to tell their own stories brilliantly. A book you can spend hours browsing and I think you'll get something more out of it every time.

RRP 30 quid, Amazon are doing it for 21 (a bargain), a local bookshop had one copy with a slightly damaged DJ and bumped cover for 15 at which price it was an absolutely mandatory purchase! Definitely worthy of shelving alongside your Schlegelmilchs or Goddards or Alexanders.

Advertisement

#820 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 159 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 15:59

For UK residents http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk are doing the Tennant book for £8.99 +P&P in the sports section

Mark

#821 Cris

Cris

• 162 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:14

I just picked up the Finn Bridgehampton book this past week at Hershey. It's a pretty good read with a lot of photographs I had never seen before. As with any Finn book, I'm sure people will have various problems with things in it (as I do with one or two items he presents) but it is very thorough and does indeed deliver on its promise of telling the behind the scenes story of the track. If you're a Bridgehampton fan it is worth the price ($125.00). I think the print run is limited to 2000 copies.

Cris

#822 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 14:10

Somewhat OT but related to automotive and aviation I just saw this advertized in Air & Space magazine Peter Pugh's 3 volume history of Rolls Royce for $65 without slip case ($75 with slip case)

http://www.atlasbook...ktplc/01229.htm

#823 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 14:28

Originally posted by VWV
Somewhat OT but related to automotive and aviation I just saw this advertized in Air & Space magazine Peter Pugh's 3 volume history of Rolls Royce for $65 without slip case ($75 with slip case)

http://www.atlasbook...ktplc/01229.htm

Volume 1 is excellent - I haven't read the other two. That's a very good deal - sadly US/Canada only!

#824 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:27

Have just picked up a proof of a book called "Legends of Speed" by Bill Woods, due to be published by HarperCollins this month according to the back cover. As some of you may already know, Bill Woods is a motorsport commentator with the TEN Network. The book looks like it will retail around the AUD$33 mark.

"Legends of Speed" is an informal look at the History of Australian motorsport and the exploits of Aussie drivers both domestically and internationally. There are chapters on Tony Gaze, Jack Brabham, Alan Jones, Peter Brock, Mark Webber (who also wrote the foreword), Frank Gardner, Allan Moffat, Kevin Bartlett, Dick Johnson, Frank Matich and Bob Jane. From a brief skim of a few pages, it looks quite interesting, and relatively easy to read.

I did a quick search to see if this book had already been mentioned, it did'nt look like it had, so apologies if it has come before and I missed it.

#825 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 19:30

Felling sorry for the poor state of the economy in both Italy and France I picked up the following items from Nada's and Palmier's. Any comments on these before I start my winter hibernation?

Aosta Gran San Bernado 1920-1957
Automobile Club Di Brescia Frammenti Di Storia 1927-1967 - Denti
Bugatti Yesterday and Today. The Atlantic and Other Stories - Matthews
D'Annunzio and Nuvolari - Nuvolari
Faszination 356 - Kubak
Francochamps 1948-1960 - Delsaux
Gatso: The Never Ending Race - Allen
Il Cielo Non Ha Performance OSCA, Ferrari, Maserati a San Luca - Dolon
Il Segnor Touring - Giacomo
La Fiat Va Alla Mille Miglia - Cancellieri
La Saga Dei Marzotto - De Agostini
Les Grand Heures De Montlhery - Pascal
Maserati, the GP Sports and GT Cars - Tabucci
Mille Miglia - Curami
Nuvolari - De Agostini
Porsche & Mille Miglia - Curami
Rallye Di Sanremo 1929 - Bonadonna
Scuderia Mediolanum
Silberpfile Die Legendaren Rennwagen 1934-1965 - Schrader
Silberpfile Mercedes Benz - Bolsinger
Tazio Nouvolari Antologia - Marchiano
Tazio Nouvolari Il Piu Grande Di Tutti I Tempe
Tre Per Una Stella Mercedes Lo Style La Produzone le Course - Zagari
Trieste Opicina - Anselmi
Trips Erinnerlingen An Ein Idol - Fodisch
Triumph and Tragedy - Kaltenbach
Vermicino Rocca Di Papa Una Corsa Castellana - Santovetti
Matra Au Mans
LeMans Archive 1 and 2
Charade
Les Princess Du Tumulte
Le Petit Bugatti Ill
Bugatti Queen - Seymour
Buccialli - Huet
Das Solitude
Porsche 904 - Olczyk
Triumph and Competition Volumes 1 - 3
Rouen Les Essarts
Sport Auto Forezien
1000 KM de Paris
50 GP de Belgique
Porsche 904 - Barth
1000 Km De Monza
Nurburgring 75 Jahre

For what it's worth, if you're around Nimes a visit to Palmier's is well worth while. There are many items that are not available elsewhere and Michel Delannoy is one great guy.

#826 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,354 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 22:10

I'm sure Michel thinks the same about you, Ron! You must have provided him with a week's income on your own :lol:

I have the Trips and Nurburgring 75 books (both picked up cheap on eBay). I was particularly impressed with the former - a very well put together illustrated biography I thought.

I'm going to wait for the paperback of Miranda Seymour's book - it's scheduled for next February according to my local Waterstones.

#827 WINO

WINO

• 513 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:33

Ron,

There is that name again.......Olczyk! I hope you are not going to be responsible --single handedly--for his thread to be closed down by senior management.

BTW Whatever happened to those Billy Krause images you promised me a long time ago?

WINO

#828 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:02

Originally posted by WINO
Ron,
There is that name again.......Olczyk! I hope you are not going to be responsible --single handedly--for his thread to be closed down by senior management.
BTW Whatever happened to those Billy Krause images you promised me a long time ago?
WINO

Uh..... er...... Since I don't have time to come up with a good excuse I shall reduce myself to honesty. Let me think for a minute what that might be.

OK, I spent about 10 days longer in France than I wanted to so.... I will attend to the transfer in the next few days.
Sorry, but between buying books and running for President of the United States all my time has been taken up.
I know I shouldn't have bought the Olc*yk book but it kind of got tossed in the pile. When one has an old Porsche one must have all the books, good and bad; or in this case accurate or not.

FYI:
I will be showing the Billy Krause film at the next CLASS (Chicago Loop Auto Sport Society) meeting on October 28. should anyone be in Chicago at the time.

Embarrassed, for several reasons, Ron

#829 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 23:03

I have just heard a RUMOR that PORSCHE THEMSELVES is persuing litigation against Mr.O for things he said in the Porsche 904 book!

Ron: The Mille Miglia book by Orsini is my favorite book. Did you get it in France or Italy. Are there more copies still around...I know a bunch of people still looking for it.

and yes...Michael at "Palmiers" is great to do business with.....FAST delivery and quick resolution of a lost shippment to me.

Libreria 'dell Auto is excellent too, but a bit difficult to do business with (at least in my experience) unless you actually go to the shop itself and pick you what you want. I have always gotten what I paid for when I was there, but sometimes it took 6 months to arrive...

Stu Schaller

#830 Keffo

Keffo

• 978 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:05

has somebody here any information about the Grand Prix who's who - edition 4? :up:

I've heard a couple of months ago that er would come a new version, but I still don't know anything more now :(

#831 Duncan Fox

Duncan Fox

• 185 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:49

New Zealander George Begg has completed his 4th book entitled "Bruce Mclaren Racing Car Constuctor." Eoin Young has kindly reviewed it for us. The book will be launched in Auckland Nov 1st at a function attended by ex Mclaren notables including, Chris Amon ,Phil Kerr, Eoin Y and many of the kiwis who helped to build such a succesful organisation.

George calls it a story, it covers the period from late 63 until that fateful day in June 1970. There are some great personal insights into some of motor racings great mysteries. 240 pages 45 b&w photos and 35 colour.

A must for any McLaren library, orders can be made directly to the Bruce McLaren Trust at BruceMcLarenTrust@clear.co.nz Make mention that you are a TNF member and they will include a complementry CD /rom The McLaren tapes. Check the Trusts Web site. www.Bruce-Mclaren.com.. Review of “Bruce McLaren – Racing Car Constructor”

By Eoin Young August 04
George Begg was a busy engineer who raced motorcycles in Britain and on the Isle of Man, built his Begg racing cars in various categories in Southland, New Zealand, and worked the 1968 season with the McLaren team at Colnbrook. Now retired, he writes more motor racing books than most fulltime specialist authors! News that he was writing a book on Bruce was not best received by me – because I was also writing a book on Bruce! – but then I remembered that George is a nuts-and-bolts man and I’m a people person, so we weren’t going to clash. Wal Willmott, one of Bruce’s original mechanics comes from Timaru and now lives in his yacht on Lake McQuarrie and he was apparently nonplussed when he learned that George was sending me the manuscript. “I told him I thought it was better to have you inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in…”
It helps if you’re of a mechanical bent but there are plenty of inside stories of life at McLaren Racing in the ‘sixties, spiced by Willmott giving his side of the story, warts and all, for the first time in print, which is another reason for spending $100 on the book.
The team started as being an extending group of Bruce’s mates, racing people he had grown up with in various teams, getting together and working with Bruce. That was the key to it in the early days. You worked with Bruce, not for him.
‘Welder John’ Thompson was one of the first ‘outsiders’ to be hired for his brilliance with a welding torch, while Bruce was away racing for Cooper in formula 1. John had worked in a factory across the rutted road on the Feltham Trading Estate. ‘No one had thought to tell Bruce that he had a welding specialist on his staff and one day Bruce espied the new chap and went up to him saying ‘Who the hell are you?’ ‘I’m John Thompson, and who the hell are you?’ ‘Bruce McLaren’, said Bruce. ‘Never heard of you,’ said John. John assures me that at this stage he had literally never heard of Bruce McLaren. He thought he was working for some wealthy bloke with more money than sense who had a hobby of building and racing cars. The Feltham works did not have any large sign up outside with the company name, as they had no intention of stopping there long. Bruce’s next words were very tongue in cheek: ‘I could fire you if I want.’ ‘Well fire away,’ said John. At that stage Bruce let out a howl of laughter at the funny side. Here was a bloke who was working for him and had no idea who he was working for or what they did with the cars…’
Welder John was simply an artist with metal and he would work wonders for Bruce, and later set up his own company, fabricating the first monocoque formula 1 Ferraris.
George writes of the team agonies with their frustrated efforts to reduce a 4.2-litre 4-cam Indianapolis Ford engine to 3-litres for the 1966 season but the sports cars were more competitive. At Snetterton on Easter weekend 1966, Denny Hulme won a 70-mile race heat in a Lola with Chris Amon second and Bruce third in McLarens. “Bruce was very proud and conscious of the New Zealand connection, more so than Denny who just wanted to race and win and earn an income, or Chris who just
took each day as it came and enjoyed it. It there was a good party at the end of the day, then so much the better.’
The CanAm engines were built at Traco Engineering in California and George mused: “The new jet age of travel in the 1960s meant that Los Angeles, which seemed to be the centre of the performance industry, was now just over the horizon and not in a far-off foreign land. It was now said that the distance between London and Los Angeles was only ‘five meals, six Martinis and a movie.’”
In 1967 Denny Hulme was racing a works McLaren CanAm car with Bruce. “To improve the brakes on Denny’s car, bigger rear discs were fitted and much more cooling was ducted to the front discs. The next complaint was that the brake pedal was too weak. Teddy (Mayer’s) rejoinder was that the pedal was amply strong enough and fetched a new one from the spares to demonstrate the strength. Without a word, Denny took the new pedal and with two hands bent it across the end of the car trailer, before he heaved it as far as he could into the distance. Denny was never one to enter into a verbal dispute where a simple demonstration would make his point!”
The book bristles with these in-team tales, many of which must come from Willmott’s previously untapped memories. During the CanAm series a decision was made to fit an auxiliary tank and a search was made for “an aesthetically pleasing, nice round, lightweight container that looked as if it was part of the overall design. The only one that could be located at short notice was a square, heavyweight steel canister. Tyler (Alexander) was offended that such an out-of-place looking container would be placed in cars that he had slaved over with such loving devotion. There was no alternative so Tyler suggested to Colin Beanland that he fit the oil and air container in place, whilst he (Tyler) was away doing something else. This Colin did and it worked perfectly, but Tyler never ceased to be offended by its presence…”
Colin Beanland went to Britain with Bruce on his first season as ‘Driver to Europe’ in 1958 and would work with his old mate off and on until his death in 1970. ‘Beanie’ now lives in Indianapoilis.
Begg’s first book “When the Engine Roars” was a meaty and absorbing racing and engineering autobiography and his biography of Burt Munro, the elderly Indian motorcycle speed record holder from Southland, is to be the basis of a movie with none other than Anthony Hopkins playing the role of hell-bent Burt. Shooting starts around now on the Bonneville salt flats and will then switch to an Invercargill location and speed on Oreti Beach. I wrote the foreword for George’s first book, ending with the comment that I wished I could write like George and he could spell like me. It still holds good but it’s a great read.
The book will initially be sold only through the Bruce McLaren Trust as a limited edition quality hardback, signed and numbered by the author. Price will be NZ $99 plus p&p from the McLaren Trust, P.O. Box 109-050, Newmarket, Auckland

#832 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 15:24

I finally read Michael Cox (aka "Joe Fan")''s "Masten Gregory: Totally Fearless" last night/this morning and was very impressed.

It's very atmospheric, contains a lot of great stories and quotes (both about racing and about Masten's life in general), has a great selection of pics and is highly readable. By the end of it you really feel you know a lot more about Masten.

(I can now better understand where Michael is coming from on some of his points about Archie Scott-Brown and Jim Clark, too)

Slightly expensive in the UK at £29.95, but not that badly priced for a book that is (with all due respect!) of fairly minority interest to the typical Bernie-era reader. Well worth a few hours of your time.

#833 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,677 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 13:54

Can I mention the Iwan Roberts book on here ???

#834 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 15:06

I ahve just gotten copies of the Pescara book, and it is very good. It is large format, about 14 by 10 inches, and is soft cover. It IS a bit expensive though....the European public price is 50 Euros PLUS postage....or about $75 "delivered" Unfortunately, the current exchange rate, plus the costs of shipping, have made good books VERY expensive for peopple in the US. This book will have to sell for around $100 in the US...

Stu

#835 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 19:15

SoCal Book Signings in November:

Phil Hill will be honored at the Petersen Automotive Museum on November 11, 2004. Phil will be signing copies of his book "Ferrari: A Champion’s View" (Dalton-Watson, cover price US$80) For event details see http://www.petersen....2&ArticleID=122
For nonmembers the dinner event is $100 per person.

Bill Pollack will sign "Red Wheels and White Sidewalls: Confessions of an Allard Racer" (Brown Fox Books, cover price US$24) at AutoBooks in Burbank on Saturday, Nov 6. Bill will autograph books from 12-1pm and also 2-3pm. AutoBooks is at 3524 W. Magnolia Blvd. http://www.Autobooks-Aerobooks.com/

We introduced Bill’s autobiography at the Monterey Historics, and since then he has done signings at Watkins Glen, Willow Springs and Coronado, but this will be the first time we have invited many of the contributors and photographers to an event. Thanks again to those of you here who answered questions or contributed material to this book.

Mark

#836 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 20:18

I ahve just gotten copies of the Pescara book, and it is very good. It is large format, about 14 by 10 inches, and is soft cover. It IS a bit expensive though....the European public price is 50 Euros PLUS postage....or about $75 "delivered" Unfortunately, the current exchange rate, plus the costs of shipping, have made good books VERY expensive for peopple in the US. This book will have to sell for around $100 in the US...

I have no problem spending $100 for a good book but a paperback?

#837 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 22:07

No, more a "soft-cover" than a paperback...and it only exists it that format. It is about 1/2 inch thick, and about 14 by 10 inches.

#838 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 22:10

Mark (and all)

The "BUBBAS" brunch meeting of old car racers, historians, and just "old farts" is the same day, at 10:30 AM, down the street at the Corral Cafe, on Burbank Blvd, 2 blocks east of Hollywood Way...

Everyone is welcome. Give me a call if you need directions.

Stu Schaller
818-762-8001

#839 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 14:52

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
Can I mention the Iwan Roberts book on here ???

No, unless he can write better than he can play football.

Advertisement

#840 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,354 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 15:06

Just a quick note that the unnumbered edition of Doug's BRM Vol 1 has been reduced in price to £49.99 (at Chaters and Mill House at least). Probably not many left ....

#841 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 16:17

There appears to be a new book on Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Race Cars, 1934-1955 by Louis Sugahara http://search.barnes...933123001&itm=1

Product Details:
ISBN: 1933123001
Format: Hardcover
Pub. Date: January 2005
Publisher: Classique Car Library
List Price: $39.95
B&N Price: $31.96

#842 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:21

Gentlemen/Ladies:

We are starting a new feature at TNF so please put on your thinking caps and contribute your knowledge.
What we are doing is compiling a list of books that were published in 2004. Unlike the excellent "Books and More Books" thread this one will have no comments; just the title, author, and publisher. The purpose is to maintain a list that can be referred to without having to wade through the opinions about this and that title.
This will compliment rather than replace the aforementioned thread and allow us to acquire those books that were mentioned 6 months or so ago and may have slipped through the cracks when ordering time came. Many examples come to mind. Triumph and Tragedy and Masten Gregory: Totally Fearless are but a few that do not have wide scale distribution but should be in every collection. You heard about them first on TNF.
Another example is Graham Gauld's excellent new book Scottish Motor Racing and Drivers 1904-2004. One printing, buy it now or forever have regrets. Without a mention on TNF I'm sure that it would have slipped past many of us.
Most automotive books are published in the 2000 copy range. If you miss the first printing you're pretty much at the mercy of the secondary market, if and when they become available.
As of January 1 we will start the 2005 segment. After a few years I hope this will become the standard worldwide reference site for automotive books.
We have a valuable resource right on this list, YOU. Where else can one find, in one place, people who know about books in Spanish, French, Dutch, German, Czech, Italian, English, etc., on our favourite subjects? The combined worldwide knowledge is staggering, let's put it to use.

So.... to start this off I note the following books, now let's see some titles from the rest of you.

Thank You and Happy Reading

Ron Scoma, Bookmeister

TITLE AUTHOR PUBLISHER

Scottish Motor Racing (GB) Gauld* Gauld
Birdcage to Supercage (GB) Oosthoek* Dalton-Watson
Masten Gregory (GB) Cox* MTCA Creations
Triumph and Tragedy (GB) Kaltenbach* Automobiles Historiques
The Jack Brabham Story (GB) Nye* Pavilion
Donald Campbell (GB) Tremayne* Bantam
Vanwall: Green for Glory (GB) McDonough* Crowood
Scuderia Mediolanum (I) Langman Nada
Il Signor Touring (GB/I) Tavoletti Automobilia
Bugatti Queen (GB) Seymour Simon & Schuster
Mazotto (I) De Agostini Nada
Bucciali (GB/F) Huet Huet
D'Annunzio & Nuvolari (I) F. Nuvolari Byblos
Ken Miles (GB) Evans PDR
Lotus: The Early Years (GB) Ross Coterrie
Speed in Sweden (GB/S) Ekvall Darwin
Bentley Beauty (GB) Frazer SSCC
Bugatti Yesterday and Today (GB) Matthews Barthelemy
Mercedes-Benz 8: Supercharged 8 (GB) Melin
Michelin: Pioneers of Motor Racing (GB) Rosenkranz Zoot
Bugatti, les 57 Sport (F/GB pdf-download) Laugier BugattiBook
Bugatti Type 57S (GB) Simon
A cent à l’heure à travers le Sahara (F) Loiseau Palmier

*denotes a connection and/or contributor to TNF.

GB = English, I = Italian, F = French, E = Spanish, D = German, NL = Dutch, S = Swedish.

#843 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:36

This thread has been 'un-stuck' simply because there is now a new thread 'stuck' which is there as a reference guide for us when we want to see what's new and to get information in order to buy titles.

This will still remain the place to pass comment on new releases etc, and will never be far from the front page as it gets used so regularly.

There's nothing to be read into these little changes! (No pun intended!)

#844 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:44

Just a short note... Could anyone with relevant information for this thread please email or PM it to Ron and he will update the list accordingly. This is so the thread remains purely a reference source. All comment, reviews and discussion should be made in the usual place here.

Thanks.

#845 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 244 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:42

TITLE - AUTHOR - PUBLISHER
Bridgehampton: From the Streets to the Bridge (GB) - Finn - Garnett Hill
Torrey Pines Remembered (GB) - Evans - Garnett Hill
Red Wheels and White Side Walls: Confessions of an Allard Racer (GB) - Pollack - Brown Fox
Against Death and Time (GB) - Yates - Thunder's Mouth Press

Curtesy of Michael Argetsinger

#846 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,077 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 22:35

This will make compiling my Christmas list much simpler :up:

Being picky, can I suggest splitting English-language books into GB, US, AUS, NZ, ZA, etc. It does make sourcing a book easier.

#847 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 16:49

I heartily recommend Alan Henry's "Ferrari Prototype Era". It's subtitled "1962-1973 in photographs" which sums it up. Fantastic photographs from the golden age of sports car racing.

I also saw a sample copy today of a new book by Michael Cotton called "Blue and Orange" about Gulf's motorsport sponsorship. It looks wonderful.

John

#848 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 20:42

Originally posted by JohnS
I heartily recommend Alan Henry's "Ferrari Prototype Era". It's subtitled "1962-1973 in photographs" which sums it up. Fantastic photographs from the golden age of sports car racing.

I also saw a sample copy today of a new book by Michael Cotton called "Blue and Orange" about Gulf's motorsport sponsorship. It looks wonderful.

John

Somehow Gulf always seemed to back the "good guys" so I look forward to this one -- it also helps that their colours make racing cars look very good indeed!

#849 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:08

When I buy a motor-racing book, which is far too often according to my wife, one of the first things I check out is the Acknowledgements/ Bibliography. My confidence in the contents of the book depends a lot on the names that are listed.

The Circuito Pescara 24/39 book got off to a flying start as there was a lot of primary source material mentioned. I was relieved that the "Black Books" were not mentioned because that would presage a straight lift of information and lazy research work. Pleasingly there was "new" additional information about some of the races but then glaring mistakes were spotted. Duncan Hamilton was credited with victory in the 1934 Coppa Citta' di Pescara race instead of Hugh Hamilton, another British driver appears as Richard Rose in the Targa Abruzzo when it should have been Tim Rose-Richards. Confidence drains away a little and you wonder about how many other mistakes there are, of which you cannot correct.

Nonetheless, despite its soft cover and price, the book is a worthwhile buy and we could do with more histories of annual races that capture the atmosphere of a race and the place.

Certainly worth buying.

John

#850 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:27

Couple of recent reads:

Des Hammill's "Coventry Climax Racing Engines: The Definitive Development History" is a useful counterpart to Walter Hassan's autobiography. High on integrity and facts, well-illustrated, and admirably concise, it tells you pretty much everything you'd want to know about Climax racing engines without getting too bogged down in fine detail. Very much a book by a practising engineer, about engineers and engineering. An excellent summary, with lots to say about the unraced engines as well as the acknowledged classics.

Chris Ellard's The Forgotten Races arrived yesterday and I've only read half of it so far - however, it is excellent. As soon as I looked at it I was put in mind of Mike Lang's Grand Prix series, something Chris points out in the introduction was an influence. The race-by-race approach is ideal for covering non-championship events, although the bigger story going on round the races is referred to. Photos are evocative and well-selected (some of them by some familiar non-professional names!), though the repro tends to make some of them a little murky. The writing is insightful and witty and quotes from original race reports are used well.