Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#1001 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 19:45

Slightly off topic, although it's about competition, machines and engines and the author was a motor racing writer of some repute - but a few copies of the late Edward Eves' The Schneider Trophy Story turned up in a local remainders shop today for a fiver. Magnificent book, which covers the history of each race in detail, covering the planes, the people and the politics. Fascinating, handsomely produced, well-illustrated and well-researched. If speed, power and elegance mean anything to you, get hold of a copy. Highly recommended.

Advertisement

#1002 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 13:40

We've slagged off Alan Henry a bit lately for churning out recyclable pap on F1 embryos, but he's got a biog of David Richards coming out shortly. Not the most best-sellerable of subjects with the Great Unwashed, so maybe this will be a return to form?

#1003 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 14:08

Originally posted by ensign14
We've slagged off Alan Henry a bit lately for churning out recyclable pap on F1 embryos, but he's got a biog of David Richards coming out shortly. Not the most best-sellerable of subjects with the Great Unwashed, so maybe this will be a return to form?

If it's as bad as his recent "The Power Brokers: Inside Track on the Controllers of Formula 1" then I'd give it a miss - Tim Collings did it better in "The Piranha Club" which I didn't rate!

The guy who should've done a Dave Richards book is Mike Lawrence; it would've been a perfect cultural fit with his Ron Tauranac, March, Reynard and Chapman books, and the "two that got away" - Lola/Broadley and Len Terry -- the Dave Richards/Prodrive story is yet another part of his folk history of Racers and the British racing culture.

Put bluntly, I think AH has lost his edge and hasn't put out a good original book for some time.

#1004 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 15:59

Watch out, watch out, there's a Georgano about:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...item=8307848041

£19.99 with no bidders yet (though it's only been listed yesterday).

Anyone who isn't familiar with this book - buy it. It's the most detailed single volume work on motor sport from the dawn of time to 1970-ish. If you have space for only one motorsport reference work on your shelves - this is the one.

#1005 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:21

Originally posted by petefenelon

Anyone who isn't familiar with this book - buy it. It's the
most detailed single volume work on motor sport from the dawn of time to 1970-ish. If you have space for only one motorsport reference work on your shelves - this is the one.

Hell, that is CHEAP. Even a scruffy copy is worth having. Mallory Dan was after one, I'd better alert him!

#1006 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 15:06

Originally posted by ian senior

Hell, that is CHEAP. Even a scruffy copy is worth having. Mallory Dan was after one, I'd better alert him!

I got mine for a tenner when it was mis-described on e-bay :lol:

Paul

#1007 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 15:25

Originally posted by PRD

I got mine for a tenner when it was mis-described on e-bay :lol:

Paul

$40-odd for mine, smelling ever so slightly musty but in excellent condition and with a mylar wrapper, as part of a job-lot of rather forlorn motor racing books won on the US ebay site!;)

#1008 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 16:16

Ahh, US Ebay. Thank God for the weak dollar. "The Checkered Flag" for about fifteen quid including shipping. Clymer Indy Yearbooks for a fiver a throw. :clap:

#1009 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:45

Hola!

I would like to buy a book for a birthday, it's for someone who just bought a Rene Bonnet Djet 5S at Bonhams two weeks ago.
I've looked around but have seen only books about Matra.
Which one do you recommend where they talk a bit about the Djet?
Thank you!

#1010 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 926 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:52

Is Karslake's Racing Voiturettes really worth $180? Please, someone who has the book describe its content.

#1011 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:08

Originally posted by Kvadrat
Is Karslake's Racing Voiturettes really worth $180? Please, someone who has the book describe its content.

Depends on the condition. If it has the dustwrapper it is a bargain. If not it still may be worth looking out.

Basically an in-depth run through of the non-Grand Prix races before the 1930s - Venables' book on the 1500s is its thematic successor. Lots of pics of some really unusual cars (there is an Argentine voiturette whose name escapes me). The content is gold dust...you just don't get the information anywhere else. A rare bird indeed.

#1012 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:30

Again slightly off-topic, but I think it'll be of interest to many TNFers.

Peter Pugh's three-volume "official" history of Rolls Royce The Magic Of A Name is being sold by psbooks.co.uk for 30 quid (RRP 90): http://www.psbooks.c.....gn=1#Nav32814

("Offficial" website for the book: http://www.rolls-roy...tions/magic.jsp)

Volume 1 has a lot about cars and a few interesting snippets about competition; vols 2 and 3 concentrate much more on aero engines and industrial power. Alas there's no mention of Tony Rudd and the BRM supercharger, although there's some mention of RR doing materials work for McLaren (sadly Ilmore seem to be their engine partner!).

I read the first half of Vol 1 and skimmed the car bits of 2 and 3 last night - this is very well-written stuff by a real historian who understands engineering and business.

I've worked with RR aero and nuclear people on collaborative projects in the past and they're some of the most creative, insightful engineers I've ever come across - these books show how RR came to be the company it is.

#1013 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 16:35

No doubt this will be a very attractive series of publications from the Beckham of the Fifties but at £35 a year it's going to be outside my budget

#1014 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 16:24

Excellent, as is the Venables book on the subject, but both are now rather difficult to find. The Venables book generally sells for about $50. If this is a subject near to your heart, than I say $180 is fair. There are some books that in spite of being published years ago, are still the best ones on a subject. The Hull and Slater book on Alfa Romeo is still the best book there is on Alfa in general. For in depth research, you need books on specific models of a particular marque.

#1015 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 16:46

Something I've only just noticed - Doug hiding his light under a bushel again:

"Powered by Jaguar" is being reprinted!

Order already placed.

#1016 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 18:23

It's more than just a reprint, surely?

#1017 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 18:45

Originally posted by David McKinney
It's more than just a reprint, surely?

Looking at the description, you're right! Even better ;)

#1018 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 18:53

Originally posted by KJJ
No doubt this will be a very attractive series of publications from the Beckham of the Fifties but at £35 a year it's going to be outside my budget

Isn't Beckman a football player? What sort of comparison is that???

#1019 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,128 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 19:31

Originally posted by David Beard

Isn't Beckman a football player? What sort of comparison is that???

I think what KJJ is trying to say is that Moss had the same sort of Media profile im the 50s that the likes of 'Posh & Becks' now hold. Mansell mania is the nearest since. Current british drivers attract little interest,maybe because they do not race or even live in this country?

Advertisement

#1020 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 20:32

Ha! I knew I was going to get taken to task for this! It's the comparison that whoever wrote the blurb for the book makes on Sir Stirling's own website. Dreadful isn't it.

#1021 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 20:58

Originally posted by Rob29
I think what KJJ is trying to say is that Moss had the same sort of Media profile im the 50s that the likes of 'Posh & Becks' now hold.

Ah, for a couple that would have to be Billy Wright and whichever Beverly Sister he married...

#1022 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:50

Ah, for a couple that would have to be Billy Wright and whichever Beverly Sister he married...

In sports personality terms, perhaps yes. But weren't Lady Nora Docker and her dutiful husband, Sir Bernard the blingingest and most publicity aware couple in the 50s ?

#1023 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 171 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 17:00

Book news:

Ferrari By Mailander
Author Karl Ludvigsen
ISBN 1-85443-213-3
Publication Date May 2005
Page Size 330mm x 240mm 386 pages
Illustrations: 500 black and white photographs selected with an eye for their artistic as well as topical content.
Publishers: Dalton Watson Fine Books
Price: US$125/£65

http://www.daltonwat...m/mailander.htm
http://www.daltonwat...anderreview.htm
http://www.velocetod...ifestyle_54.php
http://forums.atlasf...598#post1530598

#1024 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 20:28

Thank you for the above mentions of the new edition of 'Powered by Jaguar'.

Compared to the original 1980 edition, it is considerably enlarged to include a working Register of the Jaguar-powered HWM, Cooper, Tojeiro and Lister cars, and also covers the relevant related Chevrolet, Buick, Maserati, MG and Bristol-engined sister machines.

The Register had to go to press with barely the top hamper of a finished job hoving into sight on the far horizon, so it is presented absolutely as a foundation for further researchers to resolve properly. Hopefully it should at least give them a flying start.

I know we've made a pretty stout effort at sorting out who did what, with which, and when, and there are some real surprises publicly revealed and detailed there for the first time, but it remains deeply frustrating not to have nailed down every squeaky floorboard...

I am really putting my head on the block in these pages but - right or wrong - I have told the truth as I understand it absolutely throughout.

In places prudence demands that you might have to read between the lines to get the idea of what's real, and what might not be.

You blokes here on TNF were a major help in this work, so thanks to everyone who contributed to the long 'Listers in America' thread here. I hope you find the finished work enjoyable, and interesting. But it is NOT the final word. :blush:

DCN

#1025 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 22:35

I was given this book as a gift from my folks when it first came out, but subsequently lost it ten or so years later.

At Goodwood in 1999, I paid just under £100 for a replacement! :eek:

#1026 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,963 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:38

Originally posted by Twin Window
At Goodwood in 1999, I paid just under £100 for a replacement!

Sorry Twinny, less than USD$8 on eBay. Gotta love it. :cool:

Mark

#1027 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,222 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:26

The Paddy Hopkirk Story will be published by Haynes Publishing, book No.H4110, ISBN: 1 84425 110 1 and is due for publication in July. I have researched the book in collaboration with Paddy and it has been professionally edited. We have just seen the final layout pages for checking and Paddy is very pleased with it.

Regards, Bill Price

UNQUOTE

#1028 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 21:23

Doug,

Any information on when the new edition of "Powered by Jaguar" will be available here in the U.S.? I tried a couple of my usual sources for car books but none had it listed yet...

Regards,
Bob

#1029 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 23:08

EVENT: SoCal Society of Automotive Historians
Literature Faire & Swap Meet
Sunday, June 26, 2005.

Irwindale Speedway is the site of the 23rd annual SAH LitFaire.
The Speedway is 18 miles east of downtown Los Angeles
at the SE intersection of the 210 and 605 freeways.

I have a PDF flyer posted at
brownfoxbooks.com/images/LitFaire.pdf

#1030 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 00:29

Originally posted by Paul Medici
I will second Frank S's remarks about MASERATI 450S , and only add that there are also several very nice period color photos of the cars and their drivers included.

Well done, Michel Bollee and Willem Oosthoek!!

I have just finished reading this book and would like to add my 2d worth (for those old enough to remember when a p was a d). For 30 years I have read Maserati books in a quest to learn more about the 450S, the disaster of the 57 MM and Caracas, so nearly so great but not quite, add Fangio and Havana which are all part of folk lore of the 50's and that was about the sum of my knowledge.

I sat in one of these cars for the first time in 1971 and I guess like any big sports car that power is very addictive. Add the best of Italian nostalgia, exceptional good looks, and a ride where its essential to have to your own teeth and the result is, I have to admit, being hooked for life.

There are not many books where results are combined so well with personal detail to give a complete picture, and speaking of pictures, so many, so fantastic. I knew 4510 had air jacks, and there's even a photo of them in use!!

I was prompted into action when this book wasn't quoted on the question Barry Boor's recent thread asked, perhaps you guys haven't seen it yet?:lol: ;)

well please allow me to persuade you to add it to your collection straight away. A :up: from me.

#1031 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 926 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:37

Basically an in-depth run through of the non-Grand Prix races before the 1930s - Venables' book on the 1500s is its thematic successor. Lots of pics of some really unusual cars (there is an Argentine voiturette whose name escapes me). The content is gold dust...you just don't get the information anywhere else. A rare bird indeed.

Today I received Venables' Racing Fifteen-Hundreds from Motorbooks via Abebooks for 35 pound including shipping. Thank you for advice. Will read it in the evening.

#1032 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:38

Venables has some good brief stuff on cyclecars as well. I think you'll enjoy it. Taught me loads about Amilcar v Salmson and Jose Scaron and Armand Hug.

#1033 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 926 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:47

Today I received Venables' Racing Fifteen-Hundreds from Motorbooks via Abebooks ...

Sorry, Motoringbooks, not Motorbooks.

#1034 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 657 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 23:23

A new book on the 1992 Williams FW14B has been released in the U.S.

Posted Image

Oriented principally toward modellers, this book covers the development and racing history of this car and includes many many photos.

Sean Kelly, who is the statistican for the F1 broadcasts in the U.S. for SpeedChannel and CBS is the author along with Andy Mathews, an award winning model craftsman.

I have not received my copy as of yet, but I will let you know my take after receipt.

This book does not seem to be available through the normal motoring book channels given the modelling focus but can be ordered here .

#1035 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 15:33

I have had the Williams FW14B book by Andy Mathews for a couple of months. It is primarily a reference book for model builders, but if you’re a fan of the FW14B then this is as good a reference book as you’ll find.

The book is a higher quality version of the Japanese series, Formula Perfect, that were published a number of years ago. The book follows the development of the Williams FW14B and each chapter is dedicated to a different area of the car. The photos are clear, well described and all in color.

The last chapter focuses on Mathew’s 1/12th scale Williams FW14B. If you enjoy well build and highly detailed scale models the book is worth the price for this chapter alone. Andy’s work is stunning.

I understand that the next book in the series will be on the Ferrari 641/2 and is due out at the end of the year.

Bill

#1036 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 15:06

Special offer over on the SAE's website: both volumes of Leo Levine's "The Dust and the Glory" for $40.

Volume 1 is very good - a good history of Ford in motorsport up to 1967. Long, readable, lots of interesting stuff about the US racing scene, a nice mix of technical stuff, racing stories, politics and anecdotes.

Volume 2 is unfortunately a rather poor grab-bag of half-digested stories, mostly NASCAR, some good USAC/CART stuff, but with a strange emphasis on off-road racing in the US, a botched synopsis of F1, cursory details about other kinds of racing, and some howlers about other Ford programmes (particularly the C100).

I've never seen such a drop-off in quality between two volumes (although there was 30-odd years between them...) - but it's still fairly cheap for Vol. 1, which I do recommend as a very good book.

http://www.sae.org/s...OD_CD=R-292.SET

#1037 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 19:05

My copy of Karl Ludvigsen's "The V12 Engine" arrived while I was off work - it was waiting on my desk this morning.

Blimey. I've spent a couple of hours basically gawping at it!

It really is the most definitive look at every V12 (or indeed W12) powered car, on road and track, from the dawn of time to the Maserati MC12 -- right from the most famous to the unraced, unbuilt, undeveloped. It's a stunning piece of work - excellent illustrations of the cars and engines (including a lot of cutaways and blueprints), the people behind them, the races... It even covers V12 aero-engined specials in some depth.

It's a big (400+ pages, probably at least as many illustrations!), well-designed, well-written (from what I've skimmed) book that covers a lot of new ground -- taking the 3.5l Formula 1 as an example, any book that describes and illustrates the unraced Neotech, HKS and Isuzu engines, two versions of an abandoned BMW V12 (that would've gone into the car that became the Andrea Moda?), a Renault, the Cosworth, and shows drawings of unbuilt an Motori Moderni V12 counts as pretty damned definitive to me. And that's just the unraced stuff!

Winner of the "most photogenic engine ever" award could well be the 9.9l Falconer V12 illustrated on P374.

This is going to take some time to fully digest - as ever it's full of close technical description and detailed history. But the preliminary verdict is - an instant classic. Handsomely produced and groaning at the seams with great pictures and interesting words. Definitely one for any technically-inclined reader.

#1038 bschenker

bschenker

• 488 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 20:30

A new book, probably in November 2005, from

Hans Treml and Nina Treml

Die Aussenseiter Schweizer im Internationalen Automobilrennsport. 1950 bis heute.“

http://www.dieaussen...er.ch/index.php

in German

#1039 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 171 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:32

I see that The Ford That Beat Ferrari is reissued. The new isbn is below...but do a search on abebooks on the old isbn 0946132240 and there are listings up to $1,000!

The Ford That Beat Ferrari, A racing history of the GT40
By: Gordon Jones and John Allen

When Ford's attempt to buy Ferrari fell through, the US car giant embarked on a programme to beat the famous Italian marque at the world's most prestigious race, the Le Mans 24 Hours. It was quite a battle. Ford's challenger was the GT40, which placed 1-2-3 at Le Mans in 1966 and won the next three consecutive years. This classic book about the GT40 - fastest sports racing car of its day - has been redesigned, expanded and updated to meet pent-up demand.
Hardback, 280 x 230mm, 480 pages, Over 900 illustrations, many in colour

ISBN: 1 84425 113 6
Book No: H4113
List price: £75.00
Web price: £75.00
Availability: In Stock

A couple listing of the 1985 publication:

http://dogbert.abebo...PL?bi=304136586
http://dogbert.abebo...PL?bi=201539420

I've seen these sell on ebay for ~us$500 - here's a current listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=4559490816

edit: final sale price us$410 - pretty good amount for a book that's being reprinted.

I remember one of the past ebay listings stated that the printing plates for this book were destroyed in a fire (is this true?) so it would never be reprinted!

Advertisement

#1040 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 171 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 13:21

Here's a new Eoin Young book, McLaren Memories , that I found on the Haynes site:

McLaren Memories, A biography of Bruce McLaren
By: Eoin Young
Foreword: Foreword by Sir Jack Brabham

Eoin Young's anecdotal reminiscences about Bruce McLaren, his great friend and compatriot, will be compelling reading for fans of 1960s motor racing. Drawing from his own memories, interviews with Bruce's inner circle, the young kiwi's letters home, the magazine column they co-wrote and contemporary newspaper reports, Young recreates that golden era when racing drivers were mates and racing was fun.

This book is due to be published in August 2005
Hardback, 234 x 153mm, 240 pages, 32pp plates

ISBN: 1844251195
Book No: H4119
List price: £17.99
Availability: Forthcoming title

#1041 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:21

Originally posted by bschenker
A new book, probably in November 2005, from

Hans Treml and Nina Treml

Die Aussenseiter Schweizer im Internationalen Automobilrennsport. 1950 bis heute.“

http://www.dieaussen...er.ch/index.php

in German

This looks a must-get, to read with a German dictionary...

Look at the dramatis personae (last of the "vorschau" pages) - apart from the obvious Seppi-esque subjects, you also have (inter alia) Peter Hirt, Jurg Dubler, Tommy Spychiger, Harry Zweifel, EuroBrun, Rico Steinmann, Peter Schetty, Jo Marquart, Herbert Muller, Claude Haldi and our old friend Ottorino...

(And of course Silvio Moser! Interesting to see Andrea Chiesa down there, though, always thought he was Italian.)

#1042 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:45

A few brief notes on recent acquisitions.

Chris Nixon's Kings of the Nürburgring is everything you'd expect from him, and a fine legacy. Very much a book about people and races rather than technology, with lots of illustration (although the quality of the photos is very variable - many are excellent; some of them are evocative but technically very poor) and well-chosen words. Not the definitive 'Ring history, it concentrates on drivers who've won internationals there. Big, moderately expensive, well-produced, but probably of much more mass interest than most of his books. RIP Chris.

I couldn't afford Dave Friedman's Legends of Motorsport when it came out. I've now managed to remedy this. Hard not to be knocked out by it - the photography, the cars, the characters, the circuits - it's a gorgeous record of a real Golden Age (50s-early 70s). I love good B/W photography and this is some of the finest I've ever seen, reproduced with real care and attention.

My previous statements about Karl Ludvigsen's The V12 Engine understate how good it is - the breadth of the subject allows KL to wander all over automotive history, drawing a lot of technical and human threads together and comparing and contrasting all kinds of cars and engines. One of the finest automotive books of the decade.

Pace and Brinker's Vintage American Road-Racing Cars 1950-1970 is superb. I don't really see it as that period as "Vintage", but by 'eck it's comprehensive - as well as the specials and sports racers most of us have heard of, there are several whole universes of cars previously unknown to me. The best sort of motorsports books are the ones that drop me into a whole new universe and this is very much one of those!

#1043 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 16:42

Just ordered The Cruel Sport by Robert Daley. Not the new one, but the original.

#1044 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 20:26

Originally posted by Bob Brzezinski
Doug,

Any information on when the new edition of "Powered by Jaguar" will be available here in the U.S.? I tried a couple of my usual sources for car books but none had it listed yet...

Regards,
Bob

Sorry about this - but for once it's absolutely NOT down to this author's legendarily slow working practises. I understand there has been a production problem with the reprint but it has now been overcome. Publisher John Blunsden (MRP) tells me that the new edition should be available within the month.

DCN

#1045 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 14:45

Thanks, Doug. The other day it finally became available for pre-order on Amazon's U.S. site--

#1046 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 19:17

I couldn't afford Dave Friedman's Legends of Motorsport when it came out.

Any relation to Kinky Friedman?

:lol:

#1047 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,744 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 20:28

"The Race Bugatti Missed" by Michael Ulrich.

According to Mike Horton, Ulrich drove from Poland with copies of this opus. I only hope his car's suspension was beefy cos this is a big thing, nearly 400 pages of 12" x 10.5" heavy paper in slipcase.

The book is in English and a slipcase (ooh, zeugma) with a German translation gratis; cover is reminiscent of 70s wallpaper and the book itself is printed in dark sepia in an 80s typeface. All pretty retro.

The title is a headline grabber, it would better be titled "The Paris-Madrid" as Bugatti must have missed loads of races. The text is fairly perfunctory and not extensive; it relies heavily on Charles Jarrott's book (a must-get) for lengthy verbatim quotes for the race itself, but it conveys all sorts of interesting info, such as the flag signals used on the course, the regulations, evolution of tyres for city-to-city races and background on the drivers. Nearly half the book goes into histories of the dozen major manufacturers involved in the race, plus a good chunk on Bugatti and Mathis, who were due to participate in the race but failed scrutineering - the far-back driving position on their de Dietrich not being conducive, according to the scrutes, for good visibility...ironic given the clouds of dust visible on the photos.

And this is the real value of the book, great stuff indeed, including a shot of Lorraine Barrow a mile away from his death, some odd cars that I had never registered (e.g. the Prosper-Lambert), aftershots of accidents (tastefully done) and all sorts of shots of the bikes that took part. The resolution is not as good as in the TASO Mathieson book but just as good as getting the atmosphere across. And what an atmosphere! You are seriously not going to see anything like these photos anywhere else in the same sheer volume.

There is one shot in particular that is fascinating - Darzens lying on the ground near his crashed Henriod, apparently laughing his head off in sheer relief, whilst the spectators around look grim-faced.

There were giants on the Earth in those days. This book is a fine tribute to them and well worth the £80 or so it cost. As far as the photography goes, it is priceless.

#1048 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:39

Well its classic car show time again over here in Ireland, every weekend somewhere around the country there is a gathering of the classic car owning community, and every year I manage to pick up a few bargains, this year was no different

On Sunday, in glorious weather I left my 66 mini long enough to find a 1st of Stirling Moss' "A turn at the Wheel" - €12.50 (£8) in good condition and a mint, never opened copy of Mr Doug Nye's (do ya know this dude) Cooper Cars, untouched for €21 (£14) so all in all a happy shopping trip

I have however had a bit of bad luck, in the wake of the terrible news of Chris Nixon's death I decided to purchase the "silver arrows" work, I have most of the other stuff and had been working backwards, I purchased on line thru one of the larger British companies, thru no fault of their's, they have been very helpfull, the book has not arrived a month later. It just seems to have been lost in the post...and it wasnt cheap for the postage never mind the wonderful volume, now lost.

#1049 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:18

Originally posted by Seppi_0_917PA
Here's a new Eoin Young book, McLaren Memories , that I found on the Haynes site:

McLaren Memories has just been published here in NZ by HarperSports (who also published Forza Amon last year), retailing for NZ$49.99. I've flicked through my copy briefly, looks pretty good - plus there are some pix of a young, wheel chair bound Bruce. Eoin Young got a fair bit of coopertion from the Bruce McLaren Trust and from Pat McLaren.

#1050 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:43

I always felt that Mark Hughes probably had at least one excellent book in him, other than all those Complete And Utter Encyclopedia of Post-Senna Bernie-Era F1 books, and it does look from the advance press that "Speed Addicts" (despite the terrible title) could be it.

It appears to be a personal-ish history of Grand Prix racing drawing heavily upon the Sutton Images back catalogue, and they're making much of the production values. It sounds like it could be the book many of us hoped the Alan Henry "Autocourse 50 years" was...

Best of all, Amazon are pre-advertising it for £24.50, at which price I'm willing to take a punt on it sight unseen!

http://www.dakinibooks.com/

(who are advertising limited editions that make Palawan look like East German paperbacks! - and have some sample pages viewable)

http://speedtvbooks....tails_26192.ncm
http://www.grandprix...Site/F_NewItems(F1Legends)/BK915(GPL_BaseCatalog)/F1Legends.htm