I found this at Chaters web site

OPEN ROADS & FRONT ENGINES SPORTS CAR RACING IN PHOTOS 53-61
WIMPFFEN J
Published by DAVID BULL PUBLISHING.
Year of Publication: 2005
ISBN No: 1-893618-48-X
Our Price: £89.95
Forthcoming Item

I'm looking forward to this one. I just asked Janos what sort of timeline there is for this series of books and here is his reply:

"Actually, there will be 4 volumes (with a small shot of 5 initially, then perhaps an additional one covering later years). Vol. I is out next month, Vol II by Christmas, Vol. III & IV within the 1st quarter of '06"

Advertisement

#1052 PRD

PRD

• 314 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 18:37

Originally posted by Zawed

McLaren Memories has just been published here in NZ by HarperSports (who also published Forza Amon last year), retailing for NZ$49.99. I've flicked through my copy briefly, looks pretty good - plus there are some pix of a young, wheel chair bound Bruce. Eoin Young got a fair bit of coopertion from the Bruce McLaren Trust and from Pat McLaren.

Amazon.co.uk have it at 30% off ie £12.59

#1053 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:18

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Sorry about this - but for once it's absolutely NOT down to this author's legendarily slow working practises. I understand there has been a production problem with the reprint but it has now been overcome. Publisher John Blunsden (MRP) tells me that the new edition should be available within the month.

DCN

I've just been promised my new "Powered By Jaguar" for tomorrow by Collectors Carbooks. Been looking forward to this one for ages.

#1054 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:51

Pete,
Mark was interviewed on SpeedTv tonight. It was interesting to hear him talk about his love of the sport. I think I'll add this book on my list, at the $50 level not the $400 behemoth that they have.

#1055 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:20

Does anyone have Eoin Young's book 'It Still Beats Working'? Lot of TNF members praised the 'forerunner' of this book, 'It Beats Working', so I wonder how good this new volume is. Mill House is selling it for a tenner, so I'm seriously considering to purchase it. BTW, they have remaindered Karl's Ascari book, so if you haven't picked it up yet, it's a good time to do so.

#1056 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 14:09

Originally posted by Criceto

I've just been promised my new "Powered By Jaguar" for tomorrow by Collectors Carbooks. Been looking forward to this one for ages.

Did it arrive? amazon sent me an email saying delivery had slipped to mid-August.....

#1057 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 157 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 14:37

Originally posted by petefenelon

Did it arrive? amazon sent me an email saying delivery had slipped to mid-August.....

My copy has reached the dispatching soon can't be stopped status from Amazon (UK)- so it should be here in the next couple of days.

#1058 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 15:47

Originally posted by Mark Ballard

My copy has reached the dispatching soon can't be stopped status from Amazon (UK)- so it should be here in the next couple of days.

Oh good - I'll re-order it; I'm planning on a change of delivery address in the very near future and didn't want it arriving somewhere I don't work any more ;P

#1059 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 13:39

Oh good - I'll re-order it; I'm planning on a change of delivery address in the very near future and didn't want it arriving somewhere I don't work any more ;P

Excellent stuff - re-ordered yesterday and it shipped this morning, should be here tomorrow!

And my copy of the new edition of The Ford That Beat Ferrari arrived today -- preliminary verdict is that even if only for the illustrations it's excellent -- and at 50 quid a bargain.

Advertisement

#1060 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 20:34

"Powered by Jaguar" arrived today and was devoured in one sitting - although I'll definitely be coming back to it regularly as in many ways it's the most charming DCN book since Cooper Cars - at least in part because it covers the same era and many of the same people! - wonderfully readable and as well as some great descriptions of the cars and drivers in their contemporary careers it follows the tangled histories of the Coopers, Tojeiros, Listers and HWMs in thorough detail. I haven't read the original edition; this looks like a facsimilie edition of the original (with some minor corrections) with new material from pp147 on - "Later Lives and Lister mysteries" expanding the Lister story; some colour photos and original road tests, and then a chassis register of all the known cars - which will be the main talking point for chassis historians!

All in all, great fun, well-illustrated, full of technical insight and great anecdotes, a great mix of research and narrative - and good value too.

Two minor captioning errors, Graham Hill's car at Le Mans in '59 (p75) looks a bit front engined and Chapmanesque to be a Porsche ;) and the pic on p178 certainly isn't Kirk Douglas -- unless that's the cat's name ;)

#1061 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 20:53

I envy you chaps who already have your copies of the new editions of "Powered by Jaguar" and "The Ford that Beat Ferrari." Amazon.com is estimating delivery dates as October 13 and September 8, respectively. They must be delivering them on a sailboat via Africa, Australia, and the Pacific Ocean.

#1062 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:45

Bob,
A silly question, why don't you order from the UK site? I have never ordered anything to do with F1 or racing from the US site. Believe it or not sometimes it's cheaper even with shipping.

#1063 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 13:57

Ivan, no it's an excellent question, for which I have no good answer, other than that I've been assuming that the exchange rate eliminated that option. Of course, I haven't bothered to actually compare the price so I must plead ignorance. I've ordered from quite a few UK booksellers in the past, so I'll have to do some comparison shopping online today and perhaps cancel my U.S. orders...thanks for the wake-up call.

#1064 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 14:41

Just to follow up, I compared prices on both Amazon sites. I estimated 6 pounds as the cost of shipping to the U.S., which may or may not be accurate. Assuming a single shipping charge, the cost of both books would be about $20 more to obtain them from the UK site.

Guess my need to be cheap will outweigh my need to read on this one. :) I will placate myself with my earlier editions of both books in the meantime.

Amazon UK had the first edition of "The Ford that Beat Ferrari" listed for 1,000 pounds!!! :eek: :eek: Any opinions on whether the first edition will continue to command such values now that there is a newer one available?

#1065 mark f1

mark f1

• 1,777 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 14:49

Being in Oz, I have always compared Amazon UK with Amazon US when buying a book and the US is always cheaper for me. UK postage costs tend to be much more than the US as well.

Mark

#1066 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 161 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 15:27

Originally posted by Bob Brzezinski
Amazon UK had the first edition of "The Ford that Beat Ferrari" listed for 1,000 pounds!!! :eek: :eek: Any opinions on whether the first edition will continue to command such values now that there is a newer one available?

Go back one page to (my) post number 1033 - there is a link to a recent ebay sale at US$410.

Previously, I've seen this book sell on ebay in the $500 range.

I see that one of the two abebooks.com links in #1033 has been deleted. My recollection is that this was listed near $1,000. Maybe it was sold. Or maybe taken off the market due to the reprint?

#1067 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 15:42

Is there a novel in writting after "Montezuma's Ferrari"? I enjoyed reading it this week!.
(Bought it used at the WG Research Center and only saw this week it was signed by the author!)

#1068 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 15:52

Originally posted by Pils1989
Is there a novel in writting after "Montezuma's Ferrari"? I enjoyed reading it this week!.
(Bought it used at the WG Research Center and only saw this week it was signed by the author!)

Yes, there's the third in the series - "The Fabulous Trashwagon". Just as good as the others.

#1069 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 19:21

i met the author Burt Levy last year at mont tremblant . and bought the first one"the last open road" (signed :) ) . i didnt knew then if i would like it. finnaly i like it very much and bought the other two on the net. theres a fourth book to be release this summer? any news . just ordered yesterday from amazon the book "vintage american road racing cars 1950-1970" any feedback

#1070 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 19:35

Originally posted by philippe charuest
iJust ordered yesterday from amazon the book "vintage american road racing cars 1950-1970" any feedback

Big, comprehensive, fascinating, well-illustrated and absolutely full of stuff that I'd never heard of before - an excellent book. Not a literary masterpiece, but it really does cover the subject matter in depth and breadth. Slightly better on sports cars than single seaters. Makes me want to read a lot more about some of the more innovative cars!

#1071 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:00

Burt Levy has a fourth book, "Toly's Ghost", due out some time in the near future. See www.lastopenroad.com for updates.

Pete, if you enjoyed the road racing specials book, you might want to take a look at Vintage Motorsport magazine's book on road racing specials. If you're not familiar with it, it is an updated compilation of a 10-part series the magazine published in 1992-93, with contributions by Pete Lyons and the late Dean Batchelor. It was a great series and makes for a great book, as well:

http://vintagemotors...cific=453054468

Allan Girdler's 1990 book "American Road Racing Specials" also contains some fascinating stuff, but has been out of print for a long time and is pretty tough to find. I'm surprised it hasn't been reprinted.

#1072 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:12

Yes, there's the third in the series - "The Fabulous Trashwagon". Just as good as the others.

Good! I want to read more about Buddy and Julie's relationship and if she doesn't really get on his nerves later on:)

#1073 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,605 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 21:38

En route to Silverstone this morning, Stuart Turner advised me that his next book - due out within a few weeks - is a 'merely' a compilation of motorsport-related BMC internal memos (often secret, and one even marked 'destroy once read'!), with the likes of Isigonis's name on them.

He's of the belief that the publication won't sell. Who is mad, him or me?

I don't think it's me - I'll buy two!

#1074 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 14:52

Book news...some new ones at David Bull Publishing :

At last year's Monterey Historics, I bought "Ferrari Prototype Era, 1962 - 1973 in Photographs"; now I see they've done:

Porsche Prototype Era 1964–1973 in Photographs
by Bill Oursler
Hardcover, 11” by 11”, 168 pages, with 68 color and 102 black-and-white photos.
ISBN: 1-893618-53-6
$49.95

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe a little off-topic:

1000 Miles to Glory, The History of the Baja 1000
by Marty Fiolka
Foreword by Peter Brock
Hardcover, 9” by 11”, 256 pages, 264 color and 83 black-and-white photos.
ISBN: 1-893618-36-6
$39.95

This one has been mentioned before but here are the details

Open Roads and Front Engines, The World Sports Car Championship in Photographs, 1953–1961s
By János Wimpffen
Hardcover, 11” by 13”, 400 pages, with 46 color and 467 black-and-white photos.
ISBN: 1-893618-48-X
$149.95

If David Bull Publishing has a vendor booth at the Monterey Historics again this year, well there goes a stack of my money!

#1075 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 16:49

I acquired new books by two TNF members at Silverstone over the weekend
Anyone who bought Doug Nye’s original 1980 Powered by Jaguar will have to get the 2005 update. A colour section is always a welcome addition, but the new ‘Chassis Register’ at the back was the real reason I couldn't resist it. And there’s acknowledgement for a long list of people who helped with the reseach including “last but abslutely not least...the uniquely well-qualified contributors to ’s remarkable ‘Nostalgia Forum’
Graham Gauld’s Toj - John Tojeiro and his Cars will not perhaps appeal to quite such a large audience, but is a detailed history of the British engineer and the cars he built. This one, too, has car-by-car histories, some more detailed and up-to-date than others, and covering not only the better-known factory-built cars, but also a number pf others which were built by their owners from chassis supplied by Tojeiro.

#1076 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 21:10

Originally posted by David McKinney
Graham Gauld’s Toj - John Tojeiro and his Cars will not perhaps appeal to quite such a large audience, but is a detailed history of the British engineer and the cars he built. This one, too, has car-by-car histories, some more detailed and up-to-date than others, and covering not only the better-known factory-built cars, but also a number pf others which were built by their owners from chassis supplied by Tojeiro.

Thanks for the tip David.

I will be in the incomparable Fazazz in Christchurch on Friday and hope they have a copy for me.

#1077 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:52

Originally posted by David McKinney
I acquired new books by two TNF members at Silverstone over the weekend
Anyone who bought Doug Nye’s original 1980 Powered by Jaguar will have to get the 2005 update. A colour section is always a welcome addition, but the new ‘Chassis Register’ at the back was the real reason I couldn't resist it. And there’s acknowledgement for a long list of people who helped with the reseach including “last but abslutely not least...the uniquely well-qualified contributors to ’s remarkable ‘Nostalgia Forum’

Almost immediately after finishing "Powered By Jaguar" I went online and ordered the Tojeiro book - since I've already got and have immensely enjoyed "Cooper Cars" and "Archie and the Listers" I'd like to get as much as possible about all of these fascinating cars.... Pity there's not one definitive HWM book (that I'm aware of, anyway!), bits of "Alf Francis: Racing Mechanic" cover the early days pretty well and they're mentioned in a lot of places, but I think HWM and Connaught really are the two British marques that warrant a really deep, thorough book.

#1078 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:53

Originally posted by Twin Window
En route to Silverstone this morning, Stuart Turner advised me that his next book - due out within a few weeks - is a 'merely' a compilation of motorsport-related BMC internal memos (often secret, and one even marked 'destroy once read'!), with the likes of Isigonis's name on them.

He's of the belief that the publication won't sell. Who is mad, him or me?

I don't think it's me - I'll buy two!

If it's half as funny as "Twice Lucky" put me down for one.;)

#1079 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,432 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:11

Where can I get The Race Bugatti Missed" by Michael Ulrich besides sending a check to the author and praying?

Advertisement

#1080 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,392 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:29

Chaters have it, Dennis:

www.chaters.co.uk

Mill House had copies at Goodwood, but perhaps they've sold out, as it's not on their website.

#1081 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,189 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:44

Three books out, the first came out last year, the others this year:

"Sports Car Road Racing in Western Canada" by Tom Johnston

"The Speediest Land Traveller - a History of Alberta Auto Racing" by Richard McDonell

- for both of these, try www.granvilleislandpublishing.com or info@granvilleislandpublishing.com

"Long Straights and Hairpin Turns - The History of Northwest Sports Car Racing - Volume One: 1950 through 1961" by Martin Rudow

- for this one, try
Rudow Specialty Publishing
4831 NE44th, Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 524-6081 or (800) 925-5629
nwrunner@mindspring.com

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#1082 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 19:41

my copy of "vintage american road racing cars 1950-70"arrive two days ago . great book it even include some canadian cars like the "sadler "and the" devin-ryan "(a special build by pete ryan) . but theres no "comstock" or "stebro" , maybe in a second edition :) . anyway what about the book "pro sports car racing in america 1958-1974" it look by the readers comments at the amazon site that it is mostly a photo-book .

#1083 WINO

WINO

• 513 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:26

Since Peter Ryan was American and the Devin design was American, how come the Devin-Ryan was Canadian?

As for all of Dave Friedman books, including Pro Sports Car Racing, yes, they are essentially picture books, not necessarily all his pictures either.

WINO

#1084 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:24

I think we've done this before, Wino
Although Ryan was US-born, he always raced as a Canadian

And wasn't the Devin design British? Or was that just its manufacture?

But I take your main point

#1085 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:56

Someone from David Bull has informed me that Mike Argetsinger's biography of Walt Hansgen should be available in the first quarter of 2006. I, for one, am certainly looking forward to its publication.

#1086 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 161 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 15:44

Yes, good news! David Bull has quite a few in the pipeline, from Charter's "forthcoming items" with ISBN numbers:

Walt Hansgen (Due August)
Argetsinger M
ISBN No: 1-893618-54-4

Vic Elford Reflections On A Golden Era Of Motorsport (July)
Elford & Oursler
ISBN No: 1-893618-52-8

Dan Gurney All American Racer (Due August)
Kirby G
ISBN No: 1-893618-50-1

James Dean At Speed (Due August)
Raskin L
ISBN No: 1-893618-49-8

And in other book news, Haynes now has some details on this one:

Jo Ramirez
Memoirs of a Racing Man
By: Jo Ramirez
Foreword: Sir Jackie Stewart & Alain Prost

Jo Ramirez is one of the best-liked and most respected Formula 1 personalities of recent years, and is held in high esteem both inside and outside the Grand Prix paddock. Here is his personal account of his life in motor racing, told with humour, warmth and joy, and providing an honest insight into the highs and lows of a career that saw him work with many of the sport's greatest heroes, although he is perhaps best known for his many years as Team Co-ordinator at McLaren, including the legendary Prost/Senna era. A compelling story that will delight all fans of motor racing.

This book is due to be published in September 2005
Hardback, 234 x 156mm, 352 pages, 50 colour & 50 b&w illustrations

ISBN: 1844252388
Book No: H4238
List price: £18.99
Availability: Forthcoming title

http://www.haynes.co...33257&langId=-1

#1087 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,155 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 17:05

Originally posted by Seppi_0_917PA
Yes, good news! David Bull has quite a few in the pipeline, from Charter's "forthcoming items" with ISBN numbers:

James Dean At Speed (Due August)
Raskin L
ISBN No: 1-893618-49-8

You may be able to find Lee Raskin's excellent VHS video of similar name,
although I see it is not currently available on Amazon.com:
James Dean At High Speed

--
Frank S

#1088 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:54

I think that I saw a review somewhere in TNF of the book Historic Racing Cars of Australia, but just can't find it - can anyone recall seeing this review?

#1089 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 20:45

i got my copy of "pro sports car racing in america " in paperback . imo there was a too big difference of price for the hardcover and i didnt like that it was a modern 70s canam on the jacket :) . anyway its exactly what i was looking for ,mostly on 1958-68 (did i mention that im fedup of the 70-74 can-am). a superb choice of photos and in bonus a lot more meat then expected . the perfect complement of the "vintage american road racing cars " that i bought last week. and yes the definitive book with all the data and annexes on the different championship :usac-usrrc-scca-can-am is not published yet. theres still a big gap to fill

#1090 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 22:10

My copy of Graham Gauld's "Toj - John Tojeiro and his cars" arrived t'other day. This is a book that falls into the "labour of love" category, covering in depth a fairly specialised subject. I was inspired to buy it by DCN's "Powered By Jaguar", and so far I've enjoyed it just as much as Doug's book.

Although quite a slender book there is a lot packed into its 96 large pages (those of us old enough to remember vinyl will think it's about the size of an LP!) - I'd guess that there's as much text as a conventionally sized and laid out book of about 160pp and the large format means the pictures (an excellent selection) have room to breathe.

It's a very human book, concentrating on people and their relationships rather than focusing on nuts and bolts, and there are plenty of anecdotes and quotes; after the main body of the text talking about the cars with which John was more closely involved (including the genesis of the AC Ace) his links to other projects (Britannia, Berkeley, DAX etc) are briefly discussed, and then a car-by-car digest shows the often complex history of individual chassis; an analysis of John's cars at Le Mans closes the book.

As one might expect from Graham Gauld, the material on the Ecurie Ecosse Tojeiros is particularly comprehensive.

The foreword comes, appropriately, from Toj's great rival Brian Lister.

If you like 50s sports-racers, enjoyed DCNs "Powered By Jaguar" or Robert Edwards' "Archie and the Listers" or you've liked any of Graham's other works this is a must, I'd say. Sensibly priced, very good to look at and highly readable.

Now, HWM... and while we're at it, Connaught.....;)

#1091 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 22:13

and maybe about HRG because I keep mixing it up with HMW and HMV :

#1092 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 23:31

amazon and other site say "powered by jaguar" by D.Nye 2nd expanded edition is not yet release ?? .ill wait :)

#1093 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,527 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:35

My copy of Graham Gauld's "Toj - John Tojeiro and his cars" arrived t'other day. This is a book that falls into the "labour of love" category, covering in depth a fairly specialised subject. I was inspired to buy it by DCN's "Powered By Jaguar", and so far I've enjoyed it just as much as Doug's book.

Although quite a slender book there is a lot packed into its 96 large pages (those of us old enough to remember vinyl will think it's about the size of an LP!) - I'd guess that there's as much text as a conventionally sized and laid out book of about 160pp and the large format means the pictures (an excellent selection) have room to breathe.

It's a very human book, concentrating on people and their relationships rather than focusing on nuts and bolts, and there are plenty of anecdotes and quotes; after the main body of the text talking about the cars with which John was more closely involved (including the genesis of the AC Ace) his links to other projects (Britannia, Berkeley, DAX etc) are briefly discussed, and then a car-by-car digest shows the often complex history of individual chassis; an analysis of John's cars at Le Mans closes the book.

As one might expect from Graham Gauld, the material on the Ecurie Ecosse Tojeiros is particularly comprehensive.

The foreword comes, appropriately, from Toj's great rival Brian Lister.

Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of it...no doubt Graham has done a good job....but did my photograph from the historic vehicle display at the F1GP this year in Melbourne get used :blush: am I famous now :blush: : :wave:

#1094 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:14

What did it show, GTB?
Let me know and I'll have a look

#1095 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 22:24

The Veloce web site has 2 interesting new books listed - Autodrome - The lost race circuits of Europe and Motor Racing - Reflections of a lost era. They have links to pdf files that have a few sample pages from each book – both look interesting

The link for Autodrome is http://www.veloce.co...cs/pdf/V331.pdf

And the link for Motor Racing – Reflections is http://www.veloce.co...cs/pdf/V310.pdf

Bill

#1096 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 14:28

Originally posted by hfalc
Anyone read this review?

http://www.motorbook...sp?bookid=71651

He is, without question, the best English-language journalist ever to grace Formula One

Cough.

Errr.

HNM III, DSJ, Pete Lyons?

Mark Hughes is certainly and by far the best of the current crop writing about contemporary F1 and he's one of the few things I miss about paper Autosport (MAWP being the other), but best ever? -- at his best he's certainly up there with the guys above, but I wouldn't say he was consistently better than any of them...

The full-page shot of Lorenzo Bandini's fatal accident at Monaco in 1967 makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. But worry not: there are no images where you unmistakably see a man dying - there is nothing in this book that could truly be considered in bad taste.

Hmmm. But anyone who knows anything about the sport's history knows exactly what happened to Bandini, I find that comment highly disingenuous.

There are preview pages of the book out there on t'internet, and it does look magnificent, but that review does it no favours. Publishers' site is http://www.dakinibooks.com/

#1097 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 19:00

Hughes, one of the best motor-racing writers? Somebody is having a laugh. Wasn't Hughes the guy who, a few years ago, regurgitated in MotorSport all the old tosh written by Neubauer about Tripoli, 1933?

In his Autosport column today he starts off his piece "Each day we crossed over the great Bosporus river......." !!!!!

#1098 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 20:25

Originally posted by humphries
Hughes, one of the best motor-racing writers?

Prefer David Tremayne, Maurice Hamilton and Richard Williams myself, of those still active.

John

#1099 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:08

Originally posted by humphries

In his Autosport column today he starts off his piece "Each day we crossed over the great Bosporus river......." !!!!!

oh dear.........and the book review above, Bandini quote and all, is from this month's Motor Sport.

A book that is getting a fair bit of attention in the mainstream British papers recently is "The Last Playboy, The High Life of Porfirio Rubirosa" by Shawn Levy. Anyone read it?

Advertisement

#1100 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:26

Hi TNFers, I've taken an interest in Can-Am cars lately and would like to buy a book to learn more about them.

I have noticed Lyons and Ludvigsen's books however I would like to chose a book which focusses more on the technical changes, differences and advancements of the cars rather than stories about the drivers and races.

Can anybody recommend me a Can-Am book that suits my need? :)

Thanks.