The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#1101 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:28

Originally posted by zac510
Hi TNFers, I've taken an interest in Can-Am cars lately and would like to buy a book to learn more about them.

I have noticed Lyons and Ludvigsen's books however I would like to chose a book which focusses more on the technical changes, differences and advancements of the cars rather than stories about the drivers and races.

Can anybody recommend me a Can-Am book that suits my need? :)

Thanks.

Yes. The Brooklands Books Can-Am cars compilation - it basically compiles about 170 pages of technical articles drawn from contemporary magazines. Doesn't have much on the oddities (the small-wheeled Shadow, the Autocoast and the Macs-It to name but three) but between that and the Lyons book you'll have it covered. I don't have KL's book on Group 7, it tends to be very expensive.

There are also two Brooklands compilations on the racing from 66-69 and 70-74 which gather race reports.

Now that Brooklands have "done" the Targa Florio, Mille Miglia, Le Mans, Can-Am (and the LSR!) I wonder what their next racing venture will be? Daytona 24 would be good, as would Sebring....

Advertisement

#1102 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:59

Originally posted by petefenelon

Yes. The Brooklands Books Can-Am cars compilation - it basically compiles about 170 pages of technical articles drawn from contemporary magazines. Doesn't have much on the oddities (the small-wheeled Shadow, the Autocoast and the Macs-It to name but three) but between that and the Lyons book you'll have it covered. I don't have KL's book on Group 7, it tends to be very expensive.

Thanks for the advice pete. They are well priced too. I'll see if I can get anywhere near Motorbooks this weekend. Cheers :)

#1103 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:36

Thanks for the advice pete. They are well priced too. I'll see if I can get anywhere near Motorbooks this weekend. Cheers :)

LOL - well that's where I bought mine on Saturday! -- I got the first of the Races books off Ebay a while back but kept getting outbid on the other two, so picked them up last weekend... hope they've got another copy in the back!

(along with the Joe Scalzo "Indianapolis Roadsters 1952-64", at considerably reduced price, and the new Eoin Young biography of Bruce McLaren... haven't had time to look in depth at either of these yet).

#1104 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:12

(along with the Joe Scalzo "Indianapolis Roadsters 1952-64", at considerably reduced price, and the new Eoin Young biography of Bruce McLaren... haven't had time to look in depth at either of these yet).

I wonder about this latest Young book. Given that he has already written extensively on Bruce, does it really tell us anything new? Isn't it time that someone else had a go at this subject, someone who was not so closely involved and could take a perhaps different slant on things?

I'm not looking for a dirt-digger. I doubt there's much dirt on Bruce anyway. But some more objectivity, perhaps?

#1105 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:24

LOL - well that's where I bought mine on Saturday! -- I got the first of the Races books off Ebay a while back but kept getting outbid on the other two, so picked them up last weekend... hope they've got another copy in the back!

It is listed on the website but we all know how reliable websites are..
Is it out of print, second hand only?

#1106 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:51

It is listed on the website but we all know how reliable websites are..
Is it out of print, second hand only?

Brooklands stuff is usually done in fairly small print-runs, you might be better ordering direct from their own website.

#1107 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:01

Originally posted by David McKinney
What did it show, GTB?
Let me know and I'll have a look

David, thanks for the offer, but, Graham informs he did not get to use my picture from the Melbourne F1GP....therefore....I am not famous....and I am now going to some quiet place to slash my wrists :blush: :rotfl:

(I did say to Graham that he is welcome to use the shot to promote the book if he wishes....)

#1108 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 16:39

"Only Here For The Beer" - the biography of Gerry Marshall - is to be re-issued. Something for those of us who could not find second-hand originals. Doesn't look like it's being updated or added to, seems to be a straight re-release.

#1109 Lec CRP1

Lec CRP1

• 182 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 21:11

It seems, according to Amazon.co.uk that David Tremayne is doing a book on 'The Lost Generation' of British F1 drivers, namely Roger Williamson, Tom Pryce and Tony Brise. I've been thinking for a while that it's a book crying out to be written (even though interviewees from British F3 in the early 70s may be in short supply these days). It'd better be thorough if it costs 30 quid, though.

#1110 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 21:31

That must be the one TW hinted at some months back... :clap:

As a fan of Tremayne's writing I bet it is worth £30. Especially as Amazon will probably drop it to £21 toute de suite.

#1111 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,513 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 21:52

Well, there's at least nine months to wait for it, as they're quoting publication for next June!

#1112 fudjones

fudjones

• 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 23:27

To reply to Seppi-0-917pa, tag 1033.
As one of the authors of "The Ford THat Beat Ferrari", here are the details about the new edition. The old plates may have been dumped - we never found them - so we rewrote all the text and captions, changing some bits, because in the intervening twenty years since the first edition, we have discovered a lot of new info. Photos could have been a problem, because it would appear that the first publisher may not have returned all the photos to their rightful libraries - however, we had many copy prints, plus I spent many happy days ploughing through the libraries of Ford, LAT, Autosport and Ferret again to seek new interesting pics. And we found a lot of new interesting pics, and there is much more colour than in the first edition. 350 colour out of 850 total pics, with many double page spreads. So it is not just a reprint, it really is a completely new edition, and we have added a chapter at the end to show a pic of each original racer as it is now - for example Adrian Newey opposite-locking his way round Goodwood last year - and the final chapter brings us up to date with the new Ford GT. The edition out now is the Standard edition. Next month there will be a leather bound/slip cased Limited Edition, signed by both authors and Jacky Ickx who wrote our Foreword. In November a very special Owners Edition will be published. The leather binding will be more sumptuous and the slip case with feature a facsimile original aluminium chassis plate with the chassis number of YOUR car - if you own one. If the current owners don't take up the offer by 31 December 2005, then these very special Owners Edition books will be up for general sale. I signed at least 65 books on the three days I was at the Festival of Speed in June, and I then signed all copies that the booksellers had - so Chaters, Car Collectors, Millhouse and Hortons may have some signed copies left.

On another tag, 1092, there is much talk about Mark Hughes. There are two Mark Hughes, and both worked for AutoSport. The earler Mark is now Publishing Director for Haynes, and the guy who published "The Ford That Beat Ferrari", Second Edition.
Gordon Jones

#1113 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:21

Originally posted by Lec CRP1
It seems, according to Amazon.co.uk that David Tremayne is doing a book on 'The Lost Generation' of British F1 drivers, namely Roger Williamson, Tom Pryce and Tony Brise. I've been thinking for a while that it's a book crying out to be written (even though interviewees from British F3 in the early 70s may be in short supply these days). It'd better be thorough if it costs 30 quid, though.

That's going to be a must-read, the chapters on Tom and Roger in Racers Apart are wonderfully insightful and moving.

#1114 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 14:54

Mill House Books catalogue has a whole heap of new stuff in the offing...

Plus a biography of Porfirio Rubirosa, one-time Sebring runner-up, is due out imminently; however the Sunday Times extract seemed to concentrate more on his, er, dipstick than on his driving.

#1115 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 16:54

That's going to be a must-read, the chapters on Tom and Roger in Racers Apart are wonderfully insightful and moving.

Agreed Pete, wonder if DT will have anything on Crawford/ian Taylor/Wilds/Sutcliffe/Harness etc etc etc. Lets hope so !

#1116 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 99 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:55

Has anyone seen a book called "Racing Style" by Koto Bolofo? If so can you tell me what it is like? It is apparently a book of photographs from the Goodwood Revivals, and can be seen here:-
http://www.assouline...acingstyle.html
Thanks,
Jeff Weinbren.

#1117 amiga1

amiga1

• 511 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:48

Just read "McLaren Memories" - by Eoin Young

A book of memories based on the column Bruce and Eoin wrote over a space of about 10 years.
So its full of quotes and stories - with alot of Bruces own words in the book.

Mostly covers Bruces racing career.

I can't say if it covers alot of old ground as i don't usually read such books - but i found it well writen, informative and entertaining.

To end with a quote from the preface.

Chris Amon was there and Denny Hulme, with his hands burned and bandaged and he was talking and talking. He was talking and crying and saying "I wish it had been me and not him " over and over again.

#1118 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:57

I had a look at Mark Hughes' Speed Addicts last night -- didn't buy, because I can get it much cheaper online. It's very pretty, with a lot of pictures I've not seen before, and the text (which is brief; most of it's extended captions) is pithy and stylish. It does suffer rather from 80/90/00s-itis, with what went before rather compressed, although the 60s/70s get a reasonable look-in (given that it's probably the era when Mark got into racing it's a little dewy-eyed at times). It's a nicely put-together book, and good value at the 21 quid Amazon want for it. At the RRP of 35 I'm not so sure - there isn't all that much meat to it.

(And while Doug's out enjoying himself at Goodwood, Amazon today recommended BRM Vol. 3 to me...;))

#1119 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:09

[
(And while Doug's out enjoying himself at Goodwood, Amazon today recommended BRM Vol. 3 to me...;)) [/B]

Due out at the start of next month according to them for £49 post free :D

Paul

Advertisement

#1120 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:05

Huh - don't hold your breath...

Next Spring now.

:rolleyes:

DCN

#1121 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 13:40

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Huh - don't hold your breath...

Next Spring now.

:rolleyes:

DCN

Ohhhhh, given how long we waited for Vol. 2, a few months is neither here nor there. :smoking:

#1122 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,081 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 23:39

At Goodwood I bought "Open Roads and Front Engines", Janos Wimpffen's first photographic companion to "Time and Two Seats" covering the period 1953-61. It has 400 pages of photographs, most of them previously unpublished, all superbly reproduced. Anyone who has any interest in this period of racing should form a queue. It may be expensive, but its value far exceeds its price.

#1123 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:45

Originally posted by Roger Clark
At Goodwood I bought "Open Roads and Front Engines", Janos Wimpffen's first photographic companion to "Time and Two Seats" covering the period 1953-61. It has 400 pages of photographs, most of them previously unpublished, all superbly reproduced. Anyone who has any interest in this period of racing should form a queue. It may be expensive, but its value far exceeds its price.

Who was selling it, Roger ?

Thanks

Paul

#1124 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:02

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Only covers sports cars, I take it Roger?

#1125 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:40

Originally posted by David Beard

Only covers sports cars, I take it Roger?

Yes -- publisher's blurb here

Expensive but I think I'll have to treat myself.

#1126 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 14:00

As I have previously posted, I asked Janos in July when the rest of the series of photo books would be published and here is his reply:

"Actually, there will be 4 volumes (with a small shot of 5 initially, then perhaps an additional one covering later years). Vol. I is out next month, Vol II by Christmas, Vol. III & IV within the 1st quarter of '06"

So start saving!

#1127 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,081 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 14:37

Originally posted by PRD

Who was selling it, Roger ?

Thanks

Paul

Horton's have some copies they brought from Monterey. I don't think it's on general sale in this country yet.

#1128 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 14:40

Dammit, can't we have a general moratorium on book publishing for a year? I'm getting so far behind cos people keep writing them. I'm even getting phone calls from Amazon to sort out deliveries now...

#1129 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by ensign14
Dammit, can't we have a general moratorium on book publishing for a year? I'm getting so far behind cos people keep writing them. I'm even getting phone calls from Amazon to sort out deliveries now...

Trouble is I usually find there's usually around 20 new books a year that I really want (and can afford without having to think about whether to treat myself!) but lurking round here means I discover at least as many oldies that I've missed in the past either through lack of age or not having noticed them) so my expenditure keeps going up ;)

#1130 Herbert

Herbert

• 340 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 19:36

According to this site there will be a Roger Ward-biography be published soon, I think by Motorbooks Intl., but I cannot find some thing on their website.

www.speedtvbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_25370.ncm

And a book about another racing legend: Danica Patrick.

http://www.motorbook...tails_32557.ncm

#1131 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 23:41

Originally posted by Herbert

And a book about another racing legend: Danica Patrick.

http://www.motorbook...tails_32557.ncm

This book offers a close-up look at Danica

There were quite enough pictures like that in The Bugatti Queen, thankyouverymuch.;)

You'd think they'd wait until, you know, Danica actually WON something!

#1132 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:59

My Jo Ramirez book came yesterday!!!!!!!! :clap:

#1133 John B

John B

• 6,331 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 15:52

Just finished the Cheating NASCAR book. A good if quick read, with a strong point being the author explains in plain terms the technicalities of each 'cheat' or manuever within the rules.

The title probably is useful for marketing, but I found it was as much about about the ingenuity of some crew chiefs to exploit the existing rules to their maximum or find new areas to work with.

It is amusing how the same explanations or rationale were given by those who got caught over the years :D The story of and quotes from Hammond and Waltrip about the Winston in 1985 (when the engine blew right at the finish line) was very amusing.

There were some things I was disapointed not to see addressed, including the controversy over Jeff Gordon's car at the first Indy and some of the alleged traction control wins, including Bobby Hamilton at Martinsville a few years ago. Though a lot of space is devoted to the most recent years (very specific from 2000 on, but much more general for previous decades), there was no mention of the controversy over Dale Earnhardt Jr. and favoritism charges, which was a big deal in the weeks after that Talladega spring race (2002 or 03) and was within the scope of other things discussed in the book.

#1134 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 16:19

Few days ago I've found Yates' "The Hot Rod, resurrection of a legend" book in a discount-store and I started to read it Wednesday to keep on learning about american motor sport history.
I've read the comments in this thread about his other books.... Should I keep on reading it or skip it and find Rex White's biography? :confused: :

#1135 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 16:14

Originally posted by VWV
There appears to be a new book on Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Race Cars, 1934-1955 by Louis Sugahara http://search.barnes...933123001&itm=1

Product Details:
ISBN: 1933123001
Format: Hardcover
Pub. Date: January 2005
Publisher: Classique Car Library
List Price: $39.95
B&N Price: $31.96

I saw this book this week, did you buy it Walt?
Is it worth it? I'm looking for a 60 year birthday gift for my dad :

#1136 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 17:00

Hello Antoine, I'm busy at my Pro/E course, what a way to spend your Saturdays!

No, I didn't get that book and I have not seen it at any of the automotive bookstores here in Toronto, but from what I have learned it is not high on my list of books to get.

#1137 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 17:03

I'm scanning stuff for you right now... you know... those things you asked me a year ago :D

#1138 fudjones

fudjones

• 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 17:23

Trouble is I usually find there's usually around 20 new books a year that I really want (and can afford without having to think about whether to treat myself!) but lurking round here means I discover at least as many oldies that I've missed in the past either through lack of age or not having noticed them) so my expenditure keeps going up ;)

Beware Pete,
I used to do the same, and ended up with 2500 books, and had to convert a whole gargae to house them - plus all the 1/18 models!! I'm now gradually selling off the books.

#1139 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 21:03

Originally posted by fudjones

Beware Pete,
I used to do the same, and ended up with 2500 books, and had to convert a whole gargae to house them - plus all the 1/18 models!! I'm now gradually selling off the books.

Hmmm, probably nearer 400 racing books here, but racing's just *one* thing I collect books about ;)

I love 1:18s (ideal balance between size and detail) but I simply don't have room to display them - models are one weakness I don't permit myself very often!

Advertisement

#1140 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,139 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 19:02

"She - who must be obeyed" keeps me under control ): . I have about 110 books and 85 1/43 models. Much as I would like 1/18's they are too big for our small house :cry: .

Come to think of it, I haven't bought anything for a while so there must be some money in the kitty! :clap:

#1141 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 19:20

I've been moving around to different countries with something like fifteen boxes of books... Hurt my back twice!:)

#1142 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 13:46

its not just how many you have, its how many you have in teh backlog...I've just dipped under 40 thanks to a weeks holiday in Brittany, a 10 month old in bed by 8 and lots of french wine!!!!! But thats gonna get added to pretty quickly again.... I think I need to break my leg again, a few weeks in traction could help the book shelves.....

btw read Forza Amon in an evening (and one bottle) am looking forward to Mr Young's McLaren book now, been on that era a bit lately, half way thru "the unfair advantage" also.. can anybody recommend something on the Lola marque??

#1143 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 13:56

Originally posted by green-blood

btw read Forza Amon in an evening (and one bottle) am looking forward to Mr Young's McLaren book now, been on that era a bit lately, half way thru "the unfair advantage" also.. can anybody recommend something on the Lola marque??

Ian Bamsey did a nice little 'Technical Appraisal' of the T70s and there's a good Dave Friedman picture book. Alex Gabbard did a well-illustrated one on the "Corvette GTPs" too.

I haven't seen "Lola's First" which apparently covers the Mk1 in lots of detail - probably of more interest if you're into 50s clubbie specials than anything else!

And a negative recommendation - avoid John Starkey. I couldn't believe how poor his '78-'97 Lola book was, even by his usual standards it's badly-written, superficial and tedious! My local Waterstones seemed to get a pile of clearance copies of it a couple of years ago, they can't even shift it to me at £4.99. (He's also done a T70 book and a volume on Lola from '57-77. I'm not tempted to seek them out).

It's a pity Mike Lawrence never managed to do a Lola book to go with March, Reynard and Tauranac (and DCN's Cooper Cars and David Gordon's Derek Bennett bio!) - it'd round out the "folk history of the British racing car industry" quite nicely!

#1144 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 14:20

It's a pity Mike Lawrence never managed to do a Lola book to go with March, Reynard and Tauranac (and DCN's Cooper Cars and David Gordon's Derek Bennett bio!) - it'd round out the "folk history of the British racing car industry" quite nicely!

Very difficult without the cooperation of the leading player...

#1145 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 14:23

Originally posted by David McKinney

Very difficult without the cooperation of the leading player...

Indeed, I did have some correspondence with Mike about that and he said Broadley was very uncooperative.

#1146 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 14:43

Originally posted by D-Type
"She - who must be obeyed" keeps me under control ): . I have about 110 books and 85 1/43 models. Much as I would like 1/18's they are too big for our small house :cry: .

Come to think of it, I haven't bought anything for a while so there must be some money in the kitty! :clap:

Resist this kind of thing. We are looking to move house soon, and I told her indoors that no matter what kind of property we ended up in, it must accomodate all the books and magazines that I currently have. She said "Oh God, do they HAVE to come with us"? Yes Suzan, they DO.

#1147 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,741 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 16:05

Originally posted by green-blood
its not just how many you have, its how many you have in teh backlog...I've just dipped under 40 thanks to a weeks holiday in Brittany, a 10 month old in bed by 8 and lots of french wine!!!!! But thats gonna get added to pretty quickly again.... I think I need to break my leg again, a few weeks in traction could help the book shelves.....

I think I'm a year behind. Not just motor racing, I've got Robert Dick's book which is an urgent read, but then again so is Jung Chang's book on Mao, as well as Empires of the Word by Nicholas Ostler, and I'm on holiday at the end of November to Turkey so I need to get through Procopius' Secret History and Lord Kinross' history of the Ottoman Empire for some background, then there's Jacques Laffite's autobiog which I picked up in Goodwood, David Crystal's The Story Of English has been waiting for a year, a book on South Georgia that I picked up through ebay, a whole series of Clymer yearbooks thanks to an inspired bit of sniping, a book about Alan Kulwicki's NASCAR title, Darrel Waltrip's autobiog, the Ford That Beat Ferrari's on its way with the latest Janos Wimpffen sportscar book, a further 5 or 6 piles of stuff I have not got around to as yet, my Amazon wish list runs to 86 and I have 31 wants on abebooks... :stoned:

#1148 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 14:31

I know I know....its great

#1149 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,694 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:47

Like Pete, I couldn't believe how bad the Starkey Lola books are. Jammed packed full of mistakes/typos/simple wrong facts, and seemingly without any chronology at all. Why is Eric B so unco-operative does anyone know ?

I'm stuck with books on Lancashire Airfields in WW2, the Alan Henry Peterson book, then onto the Lee Sharpe and Ian Botham autobiogs, so not much reading space available !

#1150 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 13:24

Lee Sharp!!!! he can hardly talk never mind write!! off topic I have a book on Hiroshima and one on Krakatoa to get through aswell - strangely similar outcomes from one manmade disaster and one natural disaster.

Anyway got a plesant suprise when I went to my local bookshop/newsagents this lunch time, they had a stack of Jo Ramirez books, very out of character for them - so I can add that to the list now too!!!