Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7782 replies to this topic

#1551 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 17:51

I am adding a few titles from other publishers to those we sell at brownfoxbooks.com. Some are books that have been difficult for American buyers to get -- Hugh Conway’s Grand Prix Bugatti (3rd Ed), Maserati 450S and the Maserati T151 books by Michel Bollee & Willem Oosthoek. Titles available, but not in stock, include Janos Wimpffen’s books. And soon (thanks to the information posted here) Maurice Louche’s “Emotion Ferrari” will be available in the US.

Mark

Advertisement

#1552 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 21:56

Originally posted by petefenelon

Just because something got remaindered then doesn't mean it's not immensely desirable now - I saw a £5 copy of The Certain Sound on the remainders table in the basement of Blackler's department store in Liverpool in about '84... But I didn't buy it... :( - ended up paying about 25 times that nearly two decades later... :(

Jesse Alexander's book, AT Speed, was reduced to $15 a year after it was first published. Now it is worth $100s - I did pick up a copy at the $15 rate and have kept it in the orignal shipping box, so I probally have one of the rare editions with a perfect cover.

Bill

#1553 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,268 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 22:05

Originally posted by petefenelon

Just because something got remaindered then doesn't mean it's not immensely desirable now

Granted, Pete. But FSCR was over-priced for what it was at £95. While the text is absolutely marvellous, the illustrations leave a great deal to be desired: there's no colour and they're few and far between. That's possibly because Blight died before completing the book: he no doubt had his own ideas about how to illustrate it. £50 was probably nearer the mark and it sold out quickly at that price (Haynes didn't actually remainder it, they just reduced the price - subtle difference!)

#1554 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 13:37

Not sure if this is at all relevant, but there seem to be enough people here with aviation and military interests to make it worth mentioning...

The Millionaires' Club - due out soon - seems to be about some early US WW1 pilots.

I wonder whether it will have anything about Eddie Rickenbacker? I don't think Yale playboys were his social companions, but he was of course an early aviator and member of the "Hat In The Ring" squadron in WW1.

#1555 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:17

Quick summary of a of recent acquisitions - the McDonough/Collins book on the Alfa T33s has very nice photos and a good informative text; the cars have been very under-reported and this redresses some of the balance in 60s/70s prototypes. I like it a lot. Four stars; we really do seem to be getting some very good sports car books right now.

As for Ed's book on the 158/159 - although the pics are good and the story of "Mike Sparken"'s car is fascinating I found the text lacked a little sparkle; there was quite a lot of stuff that was news to me but the story was told in a very low-key style - I guess the problem is that so few people involved with the cars, particularly pre-War, are still alive. Had this been written 15-20 years ago I think it could've been a much more personal and atmospheric book - as it is; good but not stellar.

[edit: apologies for mis-spelling Ed's name, I have distant-ish relatives who don't have the 'u' in their version of the name!]

#1556 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 19:24

As a fairly new member here, I've been wondering if there has ever been a suggestion for a separate forum for books? I've read through this whole thread and others like "desert island" and "10 book to build a library on". I find that books and a discussions on a certain title can just get lost in thse long threads. Put it this way, is this the only thread I should post information about a book on?

Just my 2 cents from someone with a little curiosity.

Matt

#1557 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 20:51

Originally posted by MattKellett
As a fairly new member here, I've been wondering if there has ever been a suggestion for a separate forum for books? I've read through this whole thread and others like "desert island" and "10 book to build a library on". I find that books and a discussions on a certain title can just get lost in thse long threads. Put it this way, is this the only thread I should post information about a book on?

Just my 2 cents from someone with a little curiosity.

Matt

ya thats the only "permanent" thread devoted to books .and its a fact that the search engine is not much help with long thread like this one, anyway dont hesitate to ask question

#1558 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 00:22

Originally posted by philippe charuest
ya thats the only "permanent" thread devoted to books .and its a fact that the search engine is not much help with long thread like this one, anyway dont hesitate to ask question

You can zero in on individual posts using the search facility...

If you set it up like this:

Posted Image

Clicking 'Search entire posts' and also 'Show results as posts', then your results show thus:

Posted Image

You then click on 'Post: ...' rather than thread, it takes you to the page and then the post if you're using IE. If you're using Firefox, then make a mental note of the time and date of the post so you can find it when it opens up that page.

I think that's fairly good.

#1559 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 02:32

I am adding a few titles from other publishers to those we sell at brownfoxbooks.com. Some are books that have been difficult for American buyers to get -- Hugh Conway’s Grand Prix Bugatti (3rd Ed), Maserati 450S and the Maserati T151 books by Michel Bollee & Willem Oosthoek. Titles available, but not in stock, include Janos Wimpffen’s books. And soon (thanks to the information posted here) Maurice Louche’s “Emotion Ferrari” will be available in the US.

Well, there goes my tax refund :^)

Mark, will you have a stand at the SAH Literature meet in June and do you think you will have these books available there?

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger

Advertisement

#1560 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 15:38

Kurt, I plan to be there with a copy of each book listed on the website. The Southern California SAH Literature meet is set for Sunday, June 25 at Irwindale Speedway, 6am to 1pm.

Mark

#1561 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,268 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 20:35

Sir Jackie Stewart has signed a contract with Headline Publishing in the UK to write an autobiography. Presumably he needs something to fill his time now he's no longer President of the BRDC, but he is of course famously dyslexic .... :lol:

Headline buys Formula 1 champ’s memoirs

HEADLINE has bought the memoirs of Formula 1 legend and three-times World Champion racing driver Sir Jackie Stewart. Now a businessman, his is “one of the last great stories to tell in the world of sport,” according to David Wilson, Headline Sports Publisher. “He has led a fascinating life and his book will reflect that. Motor racing runs through the core of the book, but Sir Jackie’s stories go beyond sport.” Publication is set for autumn 2007.

Source: http://www.publishin...newsinbrief.asp

#1562 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 21:08

Could be VERY interesting. "Faster!" is an excellent look at the 1970 season and an interesting counterpoint to the Ted Simon book.

Unfortunately, I bet it will not be the sort of thing that would do credit to his career - that would have to be about 4 volumes...

#1563 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 00:20

Paramount Ranch Remembered by Art Evans, Photo Data Research, Redondo Beach, California,
2006, ISBN 0-9705073-7-2, 240 pp, $34.95

Art Evans has done it again, a "scrapbook", following in line with his series of sports car racing in the fifties in California: Race Legends of the Fabulous Fifties, Ken Miles, Torrey Pines Remembered, and Pebble Beach Remembered. The latest book is Paramount Ranch Remembered. Its scrapbook format delivers similar valuable resources as did the others. The book could also be described as a "discovery trip"; meaning the reader can meander through sections that he/she is drawn to.
There's a mixture, in this book and not precedents, of Hollywood actors and European-style racing complete with a complement of European and British cars driven by California drivers. The draw of new race fans to this brew was very impressive.

European style racing at Paramount Ranch began in August 1956 and ended in December 1957, almost a year and a half of European-style racing and "good old boys" USAC National Championship stock cars in November 1956 and April 1957. Troy Ruttman, Tony Bettenhausen, and Sam Hanks were there and competing.

The track was on property that Paramount Pictures had been using since 1927 shooting at least 90 movies right up to 2003.

Evan's latest work is divided into sections based on race dates. For example, the fifth meet run in December, 1957 provides the California Sports Car club schedule, the list of drivers and cars, about 150 entrants (including Art Evans in his Jaguar XK120). Fourteen races were scheduled! Each race results, in original documents, are provided showing administration comments.

One other interesting section in the December 1957 chapter, for example, has the period news reports, one making the observation and prediction about future meets, "…was a demonstration of almost everything that is best – and worst – in road racing."

Another section of interest contains comments from racers who were in these races about 50 years ago. Dan Gurney comments on his victory in the over 1500 cc main event in a 4.9 Ferrari. Many other drivers add their comments and insight to the races at the Ranch.

Together with period ads, news reports, maps, air photos, race programs, schedules, driver information, race results, and interviews, Art Evans has provided an excellent scrapbook, well presented, and bound to be of interest to vintage motor sport historians and fans.

The book is capped off with an article describing a get-together at Paramount Ranch in April 2005. Several photos of this gathering were snapped by Frank Sheffield, a very active TFN'er.

This book is available from many dealers and The Transportation Book Service, PO Box 446, Hudson, WI 54016. In the UK, Menoshire. To obtain an autographed copy, contact the author at (310) 540-8068, or at agevans@yahoo.com.

Review by Michael Gee

#1564 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 628 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:21

Originally posted by Don Capps
My copy of David McKinney's Maserati 250F arrived yesterday afternoon. Absolute great job, David. A definite Must for everyone's bookshelf.

I picked this one up today in a bookshop sale. Have only had chance to have a brief browse through it's pages so far but it looks amazingly in depth yet laid out in such a way to make it accesible. I'm looking forward to curling up in bed with it tonight ;)

#1565 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:35

I just finished 12 Hours of Sebring - 1965, the latest book from Hurst Communications. Over 180 period photographs by Dave Friedman are included, along with text by Dave and Harry Hurst. Jim Hall provides the forward as well as numerous comments about the race and his winning Chaparral. Another frequent contributor is Dan Gurney who describes his race in the Lotus 19J - Ford.
The Official Sebring entry list and results are provided, as well as Shelby American Team Manager Carroll Smith’s complete pre-race and post-race reports on the GT40s, and includes neat comments like “ We still lack power relative to the Ferraris and breaking is still marginal.”
What also impressed me was the presentation of Dave Friedman’s many beautiful black and white photographs which were printed as black on gray duotones and color processed.
Besides the many images of the cars at speed and in the pits, a couple of my favorite photos include a 330P in downtown Sebring passing by the old Circle Bar, Pedro and Graham discussing race strategy in the pits and Carroll Shelby conducting a team meeting.
This book is a fine historical record of an unforgettable race, the cars, and their drivers.

www.glorydaysofracing.com

#1566 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 20:09

Originally posted by ensign14
Bloemker's book pissed me off because almost all of it is in reported speech. There is no way Bloemker can know what de Palma said to de Paolo in a private meeting or whatever. My historical sensibilities bristle at that. But for information and a good yarn it's OK.

The best I think are the Jack Fox ones, but they're expensive and my love for them comes from the fact that they pander to the statto in me - photos of every single car ever in the 500 (with a few exceptions), a good proportion of the DNQs, index of all drivers even to have tried, detailed boxscore of car specs/sponsors/chassis manufacturers &c, mugshots of leading drivers and a potted summary of each race. Alas unlikely to be updated past 1995 given Tony George's disgraceful Nazi treatment of Carl Hungness (publisher of said magnum opus).

Rick Popely did something similar which is more widely available now and is also very good. Lots of colour.

i bought both bloemker and popely books and they conplement each other ,the bloemker book is a very enjoyable and lively read about the people and the side story, and the popely book is very complete and informative and theres even the "chassis makers" list wich is the most forgoten information in indy book who knows why, now i want to know more about those ,deid .epperly .trevis kuzma salih. i know theres already some books on the kurtis .novi and watson , but whats missing is a mike lawrence "grand prix cars 1945-65" type of book something like "indycars 1946-66" :)

#1567 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 21:06

Joe Scalzo's book on Indy roadsters does a great job covering that era and the chassis builders. Not a standard work of reference, but for folk history it is excellent. Puts some flesh (ample in the case of "Fat Boy" Ewing) on the otherwise almost unknown chassis builders. We can see what they were like, as we can with Chapman, Cooper pere et fils & so on.

#1568 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 21:43

Originally posted by ensign14
Joe Scalzo's book on Indy roadsters does a great job covering that era and the chassis builders. Not a standard work of reference, but for folk history it is excellent. Puts some flesh (ample in the case of "Fat Boy" Ewing) on the otherwise almost unknown chassis builders. We can see what they were like, as we can with Chapman, Cooper pere et fils & so on.

That's one that impressed me a lot. Scalzo's articles in Motor Sport were occasionally a bit hyperbolic, his very "American sportswriter" style not sitting too well with the usual tone of the magazine, but he writes very well at greater length and although the book wanders around in terms of chronology it does cover an awful lot of material in an atmospheric and accessible style.

Pair with White's Offenhauser to get a more technical picture, and you'll come out knowing a hell of a lot more about the roadster era at Indy.

#1569 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:17

Given Tom Rubython's recent financial embarrassment (£75k in damages to Tony Purnell and legal costs of about £130k), what odds his diabolically awful Senna biography finally being remaindered in an attempt to make him a few quid?;)

Difficult not to feel a certain degree of schadenfreude - I've never liked his writing...;)

One has to love the

Readers trust BusinessF1.

on the rag's website.

#1570 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:19

£75k is a lot given that BF1 has a limited circulation. Not much damage to reputation there. Jimmy Nail got half that for being accused of being a dog-food-eating wifebeater.

#1571 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,032 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 18:45

A book strongly recommended to anyone interested in pre-First World War racing cars is "Real Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" by George Wingard. It covers the history of eight great racing cars owned by him, illustrated with contemporary photographs and high quality reproductions of paintings by the likes of Peter Helck and Walter Gotschke. The book is available to anyone donating at least $100 to US prostate cancer charities. Mr Wingard's generosity is as remarkable as his scholarship, and (having seen him drive some of these cars at Goodwood), his bravery.

#1572 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:14

Please where!!!

#1573 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:29

H as a visit from Terry O Neil to day.He brought with him the finished Bahamas Speed Week book.Its VERY IMPRESSIVE. Should be in the shops this week.

#1574 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,032 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 17:44

Originally posted by Dennis David
Please where!!!

Mr George Wingard
2323 Fairmont Boulevard
Eugene,
Oregon 97403
USA

#1575 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 21:14

I'm most of the way through Burt Levy's fourth and latest book in The Last Open Road series, Toly's Ghost, which is nearly 700 pages long and takes our hero, Buddy Palumbo, from late 1955 through 1961. The action focuses on Buddy's pals, Cal Carrington, as he rises through the ranks of professional sports car racing, and Hank Lyons, as he writes about Formula One and sports car racing for Car and Track magazine. The major subplot focuses on Lance Reventlow's Scarab sports cars and his attempt at F1.

If you liked the earlier books, you'll like this one, although IMO this is the weakest of the series. A considerable amount of the charm of the first three books arose from looking at racing through Buddy's eyes, but this book essentially grounds him at home in New Jersey with his VW dealership and family while the story is told via phone calls from Cal and letters from Hank. This is fun for awhile but somewhat tedious about page 500--the book could use more Buddy.

Also, this book covers nearly twice as much time as the first three books combined and frankly, feels a bit like a placeholder. I'd heard or read several years ago that Levy was "planning" about six books in the series, covering racing from the early 1950s through Ford's assault on Le Mans. I'd vaguely wondered with the pace of the first three books how this would be possible, and moving forward six years in this book certainly helps. If what I vaguely recall is Levy's plan, I hope the next few books have more of Buddy's personal experiences and fewer phoned-in race wrap-ups.

#1576 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:49

Up to Speed ;; The story of Ron Roycroft in NZ Racing

I have read two good reviews of this, which looks suitably interesting and different. Does anyone know anything about it and the author?

RL

#1577 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 20:57

Hi, Roger any chance of pics or an email address?

#1578 Steve L

Steve L

• 241 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 22:07

Yes, I would like an e-mail address too please :) !

I'd also like to find out what forms of payment Mr GW will accept?

#1579 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 17:05

in the last "Motorsport" meaning the may issue for me (yes i know it look that they ship them from england to canada by steamship) there was a not so good critic about a new "lotus" book by C.Pitt. but it look that theres a new "lotus"book done by anthony Pritchard too,sound good . does someone already saw the book in the flesh.. i know thats theres a book done by coterie(a little expensive and it include street car wich is a no go for me) and theres the book done in the seventies by mr .Nye. what im looking for is a book who cover not only the f1 and indy but the lotus production race car (sportscar.f2-3 -junior -5000-ford ect). talking of mr.nye did i mention that i bought the b.r.m saga vol2 on e-bay for 22.00 usd :)

Advertisement

#1580 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 22:44

speaking of Mr Nye and BRM, I got a regular brochure from motorbooks in the post, V3 is mooted for October... doesn't say which year though!!!!!!;)

#1581 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,767 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:47

The latest Mill House catalogue has "Due 2006 (possibly!!!)" for Vol3 and "to be published eventually!" for vol 4.

#1582 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 13:46

Hi , i am Bjørn , crazy about transporters and support vehicles up to 1970. If any of you know about pictures or infos in any of your books please tell me , I have not the money to buy all to look after. Part photos is also OK. Regards Bjørn (TNF)

#1583 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:26

Originally posted by David Beard
Does anyone have:

In The Left Hand Seat- John Dawson-Damer - A Sporting Biography (by J Coe) ?

Any opinions? Is it worth the £49.99 Motor Books are charging in the UK?

In Eoin Young's Book on Lotus 25 R4, "Jim Clark and his most successful Lotus", there is a very interesting narrative about John Dawson-Damer's restoration of the car.

RL

#1584 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:16

David Weguelins ERA arrived yesterday, all wrapped in plastic, I couldnt open it last night :D

So thats most of what I want from way back when sorted. Now to get stuck into the motorbooks and chaters catalogues!!!

#1585 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 23:14

If anyone has trouble getting "Real Wolves In Sheep's Clothing," let me know. I will place an order with the US wholesaler in the next couple of days. George Wingard's "Mercedes & Benz at Indy" is also available.

#1586 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,701 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:20

At last! - The book that does the history of the Targa Florio and Coppa Florio the justice it deserves is now in booksellers.

Written by Italian historian and journalist Pino Fondi, "Targa Florio - 20th Century Epic" has been published to coincide with the Targa centenary and takes as its basis Fondi's earlier book "The Legendary Targa Florio", published in 1989, but is much expanded and revised and features a fabulous collection of photographs (including some from the late Geoff Goddard and GP Library). An admirable feature is 150 pages of results, and (joy of joys) it also includes an index.

Sadly the author didn't live to see its publication, as he died in 2003, but it has been completed and edited by fellow journalist and historian Gianni Cancellieri.

The size of a Collesano doorstep, I purchased the hefty tome in Sicily last weekend for 100 euros, while attending one of the centenary events, from publisher Giorgio Nada who had a stand at the Targa Centenary Village. I believe it will be £75 in the UK.

(PS - For anyone planning to visit Sicily for one of the other celebratory events on the Piccolo Madonie, don't go out of your way to visit the Targa Village at Termini Imerese, which is a real washout - more like a funfair for the locals with very little motoring input apart from the poor publisher, but if you are looking for a spa bath or candyfloss it is the place to be!)

Posted Image

#1587 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:02

Originally posted by bradbury west
In Eoin Young's Book on Lotus 25 R4, "Jim Clark and his most successful Lotus", there is a very interesting narrative about John Dawson-Damer's restoration of the car.

D-D's exploits in the restoration field pale into insignificance alongside the adventures he had alongside the rally driver Ari Vatinen claimed was the best in the world.

I think it was Vatinen, anyway...

#1588 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 13:34

Just ordered Open Roads etc... from Amazon (at just under £60.00) - a self purchased present as another landmark birthday approaches.

Rats! I'm older than every driver in that Masters thingy that Mansell's winning.

:confused:

#1589 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 14:45

Is the Filipinetti book 100 euros(narly)worth????? Regards Bjørn Kjer

#1590 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 17:25

Originally posted by Alan Cox
At last! - The book that does the history of the Targa Florio and Coppa Florio the justice it deserves is now in booksellers.

Written by Italian historian and journalist Pino Fondi, "Targa Florio - 20th Century Epic" has been published to coincide with the Targa centenary and takes as its basis Fondi's earlier book "The Legendary Targa Florio", published in 1989, but is much expanded and revised and features a fabulous collection of photographs (including some from the late Geoff Goddard and GP Library). An admirable feature is 150 pages of results, and (joy of joys) it also includes an index.

Sadly the author didn't live to see its publication, as he died in 2003, but it has been completed and edited by fellow journalist and historian Gianni Cancellieri.

The size of a Collesano doorstep, I purchased the hefty tome in Sicily last weekend for 100 euros, while attending one of the centenary events, from publisher Giorgio Nada who had a stand at the Targa Centenary Village. I believe it will be £75 in the UK.

(PS - For anyone planning to visit Sicily for one of the other celebratory events on the Piccolo Madonie, don't go out of your way to visit the Targa Village at Termini Imerese, which is a real washout - more like a funfair for the locals with very little motoring input apart from the poor publisher, but if you are looking for a spa bath or candyfloss it is the place to be!)

Posted Image

By any chance does the book have a complete list of entries for every year, as does Orsini's Mille Miglia book?

#1591 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:23

With an hour or so to kill while the Volvo (yeah, yeah... I own a brown trilby hat, as well) was having it's windscreen changed I wandered into Waterstone's in West Quay in Southampton and picked up Christopher Hilton's book on Le Mans '55 (pub 2004) and Gerald Donaldson's Fangio - The Life Behind the Legend (pub 2003). Have either of these not-exactly new books been discussed here? The Donaldson I found faintly disappointing (but then I am not a huge Fangio fan - while acknowledging him to be probably the greatest Grand Prix driver). The Hilton book... well, a good if frequently irritating read - but I'd like to know what other people thought of it.

#1592 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:16

I have the Fangio book, it s not terribly exciting to be honest

However Open Roads and Front Engines is, very exciting. I know they are talking in terms of a 4 part accompaniment to TATS, but whats the timeline like, is it one a years or soemthing like that?

I'm just so impatient because its tops.

#1593 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,268 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:40

Originally posted by green-blood
I have the Fangio book, it s not terribly exciting to be honest

Me too. I also found it rather underwhelming ....

#1594 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:12

Glad I'm not alone in that, then.
What about Le Man's '55 - the crash than changed motor racing?

I'm not quite sure of the point of the book. The causes of the crash were minutely examined by Chris Nixon (whom he quotes). He does make the point that this was the first major accident that killed quite so many spectators - although in that he is not quite correct. Either 37 or 17 (I think was the number - but from memory, I'd have to look it up) spectators were killed in one accident in the TT when it was run on the old Ards circuit in N.Ireland, before the war - and I believe this put a stop to open road racing in the UK for some time, and closed the Ards for good for that race and for cars for ever. The ban remained in force in Britain after the war (but not in Northern Ireland, or the Isle of Man). Hilton does touch upon the human aspects of the tragedy - for such it was - in terms of the effect on the families of the spectators killed, and there are several other though-provoking aspects - but there is a feeling of unease, and just a few too many literary cliches ('the age of innocence had 3 hours and 27 minutes left to run' - ugh!).

I am wondering how the serious historians here, as opposed to anoraks like me, view the book.

#1595 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:22

I decided against the 55 book, I wasn't sure I'd learn anything new.

The facts of the crash are available elsewhere (Nixon), the affects on the world of motor racing pretty clear and I dont think anyone needs to go over the human cost again and again. Nobody is heartless enough to dismiss the tragedy as "just" an accident, surely!!

#1596 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 95 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:55

I heard from Janos (TATS etc.) recently and he said that the second book in the series "Winged Sports Cars" should be out this summer and the third book "Formula Sports Cars and the Birth of the Turbo" should be out by Christmas!!
Jeff Weinbren. :clap:

#1597 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:39

FANTASTIC... ok, I'll be even more broke, but thats the type of quick turn around you need when you have a successful product.

cheers for the info

#1598 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:27

Started reading Michael Argetsinger's Hansgen biography last night - very reasonably priced at 30 quid, nice smooth writing style, lots of new information, although the ultra-short chapters do make it a bit choppy. Will post more details when I've finished it but so far - an important document about the development of road-racing in the USA and an entertaining read.

#1599 Ren de Boer

Ren de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 15:09

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
Is the Filipinetti book 100 euros(narly)worth????? Regards Bjørn Kjer

I like the book very much, and not just because the author is a good friend and a colleague, but 100 Euros is probably a little too expensive. Depending on where you look, you can buy the book for less.

Advertisement

#1600 Andre Acker

Andre Acker

• 281 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 20:58

Hi everybody,

Excuse me for invading this thread to look for some advice.

I am going to England just to visit a friend far away from London and I will not have the time to go to Motorbooks or another bookshop.

My plan is to order some books/DVDs to be sent to this friend's home and pick them up there.

As I will not have the opportunity to have a look on these titles I need your opinion about them, to know what to buy.

The books are :

- "Oulton Park in the 60's" (Peter McFayden)

Just photos ? BW or color ? New ones of just 'reprints' ?

- "Motor Racing : Reflections of a Lost Era" (Anthony Carter)

Photos, but from which years ? F1 ? SP ?

- "Motor Racing at Brands Hatch in the 70's" (Chas Parker)

Same questions as for the "Oulton Park" book.

- "Championnat d'Europe des SP 2 litres 1970/1975" (Christian Naviaux)

Enough and good photos from 1970 to 1973 (the best years for me) or just a few old reprints ?
French text is not a problem but does it say something new, considering the reports from that period ?

DVDs:

- "BRM story vol 4"
Are there different and good racing scenes from what we have in the Brunswick films about the 1970/1971/1972 seasons ? My main interest are these years.

- "Gulf Wyer GT40 & 917"
Are the racing scenes really good or is it just some amateur film ?

As I will be travelling next Sunday (June 04th), I would be grateful to hear from someone about these books and DVDs.

Many thanks in advance !
VBR.

André Acker, from Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.