Posted 30 June 2006 - 17:00

thanks for the info PRD
Bjørn

Advertisement

#1652 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 16:56

:wave: My newest book : 3 pounds weight , hard bound , 200 pages , 250 B/W + 37 colour pictures + track drawings , about half the pages is higly interesting history , the other half is biographies or story on drivers and cars from that country as well as a little statistic and index.
I am much to facts books , like championships with race after race ,and lots of results and so on....
This book is not so , BUT....it tells a lot of it in words ,which is why I ,( believing to have taking a big chance with the buy) , really got CAUGHT ! It gives you fascinating reading and information ,I never new there where so many drivers from there , I know now , and I know a lot more about them.
From over 50 years of knowledge by the author it seems to be written with his heart , and it tells about people ,driver and the men behind , it s about the spirit !
I would say highly recommandeble.
Regards Bjørn

The title : SCOTTISH MOTOR RACING AND DRIVERS

One hundred years of Scotlands involvement with motor racing

by Graham Gauld from Havelock Publishing

#1653 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:36

Dupe of (most of) a post in the 8W Nostalgia thread:

JAMES DEAN: AT SPEED
Lee Raskin
David Bull Publishing
ISBN1-893618-49-8

Plenty of details about his cars, himself,
his racing, as well as most of the photos shown
in the 8W nostalgia thread.

A very interesting book with insights into the racing
environment in Southern California, mid-50s. Well put
together in the David Bull tradition.

--
Frank S

#1654 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:40

Originally posted by petefenelon
It's about time Stefan Johansson did an autobiography; not only has he done pretty much everything in racing, on the strength of
this brilliant rant about Le Mans 2006 it'd be one of the alltime great driver books.

Sorry Pete, that link doesn't work (for me, anyway).

#1655 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 17:45

:clap: Got a btch of books today :

Les 12 Heures de Reims 63-67, soft bound , 60 pages lots of pics,in french ,not cheep. GREAT!
Les 1000 kilometres de Paris soft bound ,108 pages ,lots of pics.,french text,not cheap .GREAT!
Jack Brabham Story ,reduced price, really nice book with lots of pictures and nice story!
Cooper Cars ,new 2003 edition ,reduced price ,lots of pic and great story!

My comments of course in relation to my likes!

Anybody wellcome for more .

PS Anyone for a Cooper Cars 1991 edition ?

Hve you seen my sales ?

#1656 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 171 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 14:01

Book news...

F-Stops, Pit Stops, Laughter and Tears is the story of Bernard Cahier's long and fascinating journey through the automotive world of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, focusing on the sport of motor racing. You'll see that world as Bernard saw it—through his vast collection of photographs. You'll also read in detail many of the stories about the friends he made along the way, including Enzo Ferrari, Carlo Abarth, Henry Ford, Huscke von Hanstein, Sir Alec Issigonis, Carol Shelby, Sergio Pininfarina, Juan Fangio, Jean Claude Killy, Zora Arkov Duntov and Bill Mitchell. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.autosport....com/cahier.php

No mention of price or release date.

#1657 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 15:37

:clap: Will anyone ,who will discuss some pictures with me , from the book : Motor racing at GOODWOOD in the sixties by/from Tony Gardiner/Veloce contact me ,please!

Regards Bjørn Kjer
e-mail may be used : kjerbjoern@hotmail.com

#1658 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 20:45

Originally posted by Seppi_0_917PA
Book news...

http://www.autosport....com/cahier.php

No mention of price or release date.

Ruth Roberts says they hope to have it ready by early November.

#1659 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,434 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:30

Originally posted by continental
Haynes will publish a new book by Jesse Alexander in August. It's called 'Porsche Moments' and will cost GBP 45.00. :)

It's being published by David Bull here in the States. It's available now on Bull's web site.

Jack

Advertisement

#1660 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 20:51

Does anyone know if "Grand Prix Data Book: A Complete Statistical Record of the Formula 1 World Championship Since 1950", by David Hayhoe, is worth having?

#1661 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,533 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 21:01

Originally posted by Victor
Does anyone know if "Grand Prix Data Book: A Complete Statistical Record of the Formula 1 World Championship Since 1950", by David Hayhoe, is worth having?

Yes it is. Probably the most accurate one out there.

#1662 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 21:21

Making good use of my trip to the La Sarthe circuit to attend the fantastic Le Mans Classic, I've just bought Bernard Viart's "JAGUAR XK la compétition sur route dans les années 1950": 238 pages bursting with wonderful b&w pictures on the XK Jaguars rallying & racing in Europe (Coupe des Alpes, Liège, Le Mans, Mille Miglia, Monte-Carlo). Includes an appendix with the results... all for 49€.
(french text, edited by ETAI, ISBN # 9 782726 894682).

Carles.

#1663 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 21:34

If you've a real interest in F1 stats, yes. I have an older edition which I haven't bothered updating; I prefer Forix these days because I prefer "data" to be live and digital! It is a monumental achievement, though my interest in modern F1 is sufficiently small that I don't feel the need to buy more recent versions.

#1664 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 21:39

Grand Prix Data Book ... by David Hayhoe

It was co-compiled by TNFer David Holland - the 1997 edition I have was at any rate.

#1665 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 22:47

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Yes it is. Probably the most accurate one out there.

Thanks, Vitesse2

#1666 Victor

Victor

• 441 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 22:52

And thanks to Petefenelon and Twin Window to.

I always have the feeling that digital may not be there tomorrow. Paper is REAL.
Cheers

#1667 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:11

:wave: To me the data book has one big fault : No team names in the results!

Which to me is that there still is a complete book on this matter!

#1668 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 22:12

Steve Small's Grand Prix Who's Who lists entrants so the information is available.

#1669 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,084 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:34

Following a conversation with Tony "2F-001" Pashley, I bought a copy of Track Record, The Motor Sport Photography of Maurice Rowe. It is an excellent photographic record of the 50s, 60s and 70s. I particularly liked the uncaptioned picture of the grid of the 1968 Silverstone International Trophy with all the drivers standing solemnly to attention. At the front of the grid there is a lone Scottish piper.

The book is available from several Abebooks suppliers at less than the cover price.

#1670 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,928 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:51

I finally acquired at Goodwood "Championnat d'Europe des Sport-Protos 2 litres 1970-1975" by Christian Naviaux published Nov 2004 by Editions du Palmier ISBN 2-914920-39-3.

It's a great book with wonderful colour pictures of one of the 1970s' most exciting championships. Bonnier, Merzario, Larrousse, Marko, Jabouille, Redman, Elford, Edwards, Lauda, Lafosse, Quester, Bell and Brambilla - all F1 drivers - won races over the six seasons and the cars are now seen as classics - Chevron B16 and B19, Lola T210 and T290, Alpine-Renault A441 plus Abaths, Osellas and many more. The text is all in French but even if your French is rusty, I'd strongly recommend running down a copy.

Allen

#1671 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 19:40

:wave: Post 1612 : I bought it , IT IS GREAT !!!!

#1672 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 19:26

:wave: Does anyone know about the Le Mans book in 2 volumes from Club de loust?? I cant find much info on it and to pay 115 pounds plus postage without............

#1673 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 20:30

Hi Bjorn,
Last February at the Retromobile, I looked into a french copy and was not particularly impressed.
It's just NOT what you'd call a labor of love, rather one of commerce. Despite it being a little dated by now, I'd still go for the LM Bible by Moity/Tesseidre.
Regards,
Mick

#1674 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 21:22

:wave: Thanks Mick ,helps me a lot!

#1675 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:09

:clap: Hello readers , if you are to Maserati , well , I just got my LUCKY today. I took the chance , though not speaking french , but so far Michel Bollees books have never let me down , I now have
3 on Maserati , 3 on long distance racing and now the LUCKY ! I have , oh boy seen a lot of Maser pics , but this man seems to have a hat to pull them out. This LUCKY book of course is on Camoradi , but thats the great thing ,I believe , Michel allways put some other relevant great pics in his books : 140 pages , NOT hard bound (pity) lots of pics , some colour ,statistics and other info even at the end some pics and text on Simone(Maserati France). Great job ! Highly recommandeble!
Regards Bjørn

#1676 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:33

:wave: I MUST say that I unintentinally omitted that of my 3 Maserati books the 2 of them (450S + Monster) was made with Willem Oosthoek !!! Sorry Willem!

#1677 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 19:49

Could anyone suggest a decent book on drag racing? - Preferably more on the technical aspects - I keep watching it on TV and would like to find out how these bizarre devices can produce such amazing performance. I'm normally more at home at dear old Snetterton but one should keep an open mind about other forms of motor sport - next I'll be nipping down to Arena Essex.... :blush:

#1678 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,164 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 23:13

Originally posted by h4887
Could anyone suggest a decent book on drag racing? - Preferably more on the technical aspects - I keep watching it on TV and would like to find out how these bizarre devices can produce such amazing performance. I'm normally more at home at dear old Snetterton but one should keep an open mind about other forms of motor sport - next I'll be nipping down to Arena Essex.... :blush:

"American Drag Racing" by Robert Genat is a reasonable overview of drag racing, although it is more of a history book than a technical guide. It's published by Motorbooks. Two other histories pop into my head- "Gasser Wars" and "Super Stock" by Larry Davis and published by CarTech. Both are entertainingly written and feature loads of photos on these two classes.

As for a purely technical guide, I've not managed to find a good one yet.

-William

PS-don't worry about broadening your automotive horizons. To paraphrase a well known chap, it's a broad church!

#1679 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 23:22

The best drag racing book I've ever read is "High Performance" by Robert Post. A great book - he's got a PhD in the history of technology, and was a fifties hot-rodders, so he tackles the subject with a mix of academic rigour and sheer unadulterated insider fandom. It reads very well, covers the politics, technology, people and competition up to the early nineties brilliantly, and has some good pics too. Five stars, superb.

Advertisement

#1680 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 19:45

William and Pete - thanks for the advice

#1681 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:53

:wave: Would anyone please say something about the following :

Pit and Paddock , Michael Frostick

Behind the Scenes , K. Gregory

The Half Ton Formula GP 61-65 , B.Cowdrey

#1682 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:02

The Frostick is a nice "background" book - not essential but with some good stories.

I'd avoid the Cowdrey. It's bitty, with poor-quality pictures and minimal text. I appreciate the effort Cowdrey puts in but the end results are usually thin and expensive. He's done similar books on F5000, FJunior, and 'screamer' F3 and they're all somewhat disappointing. In the cases of F3 and 5000 there's no real alternative, either, which makes it doubly annoying...

Apropos the "half ton formula", has anyone got Mark Whitelock's "1.5 Litre Grand Prix Racing 1961-1965: Low Power, High Tech" yet? -- it looks to be a very good techie history of that period.

#1683 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:26

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer

Behind the Scenes , K. Gregory

This was one of the first "serious" books on motor racing that I read a long, long time ago. I found it fascinating at the time, centring very much on Moss and BRP, but I'm not sure how I'd regard it these days - it could well be a rather one-sided account of things, bearing in mind Ken Gregory's close involvment with Stirling and Alfred Moss.

#1684 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:08

:clap: Thanks Pete and Ian , I can decide now ! (And thats without any mention af TRANSPORTERS).

As the 1 1/2 litre book by Mark Whitelock : I have it , I have not read it yet , but I had some wants , and I have some knowledge , so I consider myself to be able :

The book seems to have everything , here is what I missed or did not like :

Only on WC (3first from nonWC races-have not checked if they are all there)

Only b/w pictures

Privateers omitted (nearly)

End of season tables only with points

By far most pictures from the track ,which to me means lack of soul and spirit

Not glazed paper giving the whole book a very grey/black look

If you like this period , buy it (thats why I did) and it goes well with "my bble" of that time : The formula one record book by John Thompson.

#1685 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 00:54

New book of interest:

Sunshine, Speed and a Surprise
The 1959 Grand Prix of the United States
Joel Finn
Garnet Hill, 2006, Hardcover, 216pp, 330 photos, $80

http://www.garnethillpublishing.com/

#1686 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 23:15

According to Mill House Books, publication of the following titles has been CANCELLED :(

Rene Arnoux - Une Si Belle Rage De Vaincre
Sandro Munari - A Sideways Life
Dan Gurney - All American Racer
Ferrari On The Road

#1687 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 15:04

I just received a flyer from David Bull Publishing with information on Janos Wimpffen's next book. It is titled "Winged Sports Cars and Enduring Innovation: The International Championship for Manufacturers in Photographs, 1962-1971". The price is listed as $149.95. I didn't expect the next installment to be out so soon, but apparently it's available:

http://www.bullpubli...b.html&cart_id=

The flyer also references a book by John Horsman titled "Racing in the Rain: My Years with Brilliant Drivers, Legendary Sports Cars, and a Dedicated Team". $49.95...

#1688 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 15:10

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer

Pit and Paddock , Michael Frostick

I have just looked through my copy again and am very pleasantly reminded of what a good archive of photos it contains, and from an excellent range of highly regarded sources. Whilst many have been seen elsewhere, there remains a good selection of stuff, especially for the between the wars period , with many Indianapolis images, as well as some excellent, detailed, paddock shots of European racing cars. I am still unsure why it features a Warsteiner Arrows on the cover................

Well worth it just to dip into it IMHO.

RL

#1689 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 15:22

Thanks Pete and Ian , I can decide now ! (And thats without any mention af TRANSPORTERS).

As the 1 1/2 litre book by Mark Whitelock : I have it , I have not read it yet , but I had some wants , and I have some knowledge , so I consider myself to be able :

The book seems to have everything , here is what I missed or did not like :

Only on WC (3first from nonWC races-have not checked if they are all there)

Only b/w pictures

Privateers omitted (nearly)

End of season tables only with points

By far most pictures from the track ,which to me means lack of soul and spirit

Not glazed paper giving the whole book a very grey/black look
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==snip============================================

I am a little puzzled:
Are we talking about the same book by Whitelock :
as offered by AMAZON?
They (see above) are talking about a book of 330 pages that in my view not yet out,
it is COMING out 10 august 2006,
and in the description of Veloce.co.uk it seems a very complete work of more than 330 pages !
Are we talking about the same book?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 1/2 Litre Grand Prix Racing
Mark Whitelock
Price: $50.37
You Save: $29.58(37%)

(August 10, 2006)

Book Description
This is the story of a Grand Prix formula that no British constructor wanted but which became one that they would almost totally dominate. It has remained largely overlooked due to the perception that the cars were underpowered and hence unspectacular. Such a perception ignores the significant technical developments that took place that are now taken for granted, such as monocoque chassis construction. It saw the career of Stirling Moss come to a premature end but in his absence the rise to prominence of a new breed of British drivers in Jim Clark, Graham Hill and John Surtees.

Paul

#1690 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,641 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 16:35

Quoted from Ted on the Lotus 12 thread...............

May I draw member attention to Mike Bennets newly published book "Lotus 12 Chassis No 353". It full of excellent photos,drawings of 12s

My copy arrived last week, with a very quick turnaround from Oz. It is an excellent book, IMHO, in good hard-back format, covering just the one car. It offers a comprehensive history, period and recent photos, interviews and quality narrative. As a work on a very specific subject it makes an ideal shelf companion for Jenks' work, Maserati 3011 , IMHO, and reflects the research which Mike has clearly put in over many years. Recommended

RL

PS, Yes Bjorn, you should buy it, not just for the transporters........................ RL

#1691 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 17:14

Originally posted by helioseism
According to Mill House Books, publication of the following titles has been CANCELLED :(

Rene Arnoux - Une Si Belle Rage De Vaincre
Sandro Munari - A Sideways Life
Ferrari On The Road

Is that the long-rumored Gurney bio by Gordon Kirby?

#1692 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:00

:wave: Hi Paul what are you puzzled about ?

#1693 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:03

:wave: Hi RL , I wont by nothing before I am told what Oz iz and IMHO(I must have one?)

#1694 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:09

Hi RL again ,how did you know I had the 3011 book , and with NO transporters?
PS I ave a picture of one from elsewhere!

#1695 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,533 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:11

Oz = Australia (Oztraylia)

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

:)

#1696 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:22

:wave: Thanks Vitesse ,learning by asking I would say.... :cat:

#1697 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,753 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 20:39

Bought the latest volume of "Formula 1 in camera" at Silverstone, this edition covering 1960 - 1969 and featuring photographs mainly from LAT, and featuring contributions from Ted Walker, GP Library, Michael Cooper and Sutton. TNFer Paul Parker provides the very fullsome captions which include, in many cases, chassis number details and facts which I had long forgotten.

I can't recall ever seeing a colour photo before of Al Pease's Eagle - pretty garish for1969 - or a colour pic of Jo Bonnier racing the Honda RA301 in Mexico. I had forgotten that Phil Hill drove a Lotus 25 at Monaco in 1966 (albeit carrying a camera at the tail of the field for "Grand Prix") and I bet Jeane-Claude Rudaz has never featured so prominently in print before, sitting in Fabre Urbain's red Cooper T60 in the Silverstone pit lane before the 1964 International Trophy. A good selection of pit lane and driver shots are also included.

Many of the subjects will be familiar from Motor Sport's front cover, or from their occasional colour inserts, and one or two untypically fuzzy shots have been included for interest's sake, but, overall, the quality is as you would expect from these impeccable sources and I can recommend it highly to anyone with a soft spot for the sixties. An excellent resource, too, for any modellers.

#1698 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:36

According to Mill House Books, publication of the following titles has been CANCELLED

Is that the long-rumored Gurney bio by Gordon Kirby?

Yes, I believe it is.

#1699 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 16:17

There's details of Janos Wimpffen's sequel to Open Roads etc. - Winged Sports Cars & Enduring Innovation - on www.bullpublishing.com

Looks fantastic.

Hope the house foundations are strong enough!

Advertisement

#1700 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,627 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:43

:( Has any of you got an extra copy of : Arecord of grand prix and voiturette racing by Sheldon , cause I desperately need the year 1960 !