The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7743 replies to this topic

#1801 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:38

New book out -

NOEL MACKLIN - FROM INVICTA & RAILTON TO THE FAIRMILE BOATS by David Thirlby (ISBN 0-7524-3879-4)

Sir Noel Macklin was the owner of Invicta Cars and during WW2 designed the Fairmile motor torpedo boats and motor gun boats for which he was knighted. He was the father of Lance Macklin, who along with others was involved in the 1955 Le Mans 24hr tragedy.

Advertisement

#1802 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 15:59

Originally posted by Peter Darley

May well be a photo of Pedro in action at Silverstone, final choice not yet made.

Confirm there will be four photos of Pedro, three in cockpit, one on track.

#1803 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 21:09

Originally posted by bradbury west

My copy came through on the previous 40% off a few weeks ago, and I have just started to dip into it. It is everything that Paul says about it. A very handsome and useful book.

Roger Lund.

Looking through it further it really is a good book, IMHO. Excellent photos, tech data, many cutaway and line drawings, erudite narrative, comprehensively covers the subjects, marques, engines etc, and even has a write up plus cutaway drawings and rare photos of the Maserati v12 1.5litre f1 engine intended to be mounted transversely, with the gearbox integral with the crankcase, designed and built for the 1963 season, just when Honda did the same thing. A thorough book.

BTW it was some 8 seasons prior to that that Bugatti/Colombo had come up with the same layout in the notorious T251, perhaps more ahead of its time than we think.

The book is recommended, and carries a studied foreword by Raymond Baxter making it clear that ist is not a coffee table "potboiler."

Roger Lund

BTW I suspect that it is alwa0ys worth contacting Veloce to see when they have another 40% off deal, like a week ago again.

#1804 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:41

:wave: Allthough I do not alter MHO from post 1679 , I want to say that if YOU want to be well equipped in "halfton" F1 , you IMHO must have the following books :

1 1/2 litre grand prix racing 61-65 by Mark Whitelock : The(very good) story with lots of info ,stats and bw pics.

The formula one record book (61-65) by John Thompson : All WC and non WC results with good captions and many bw pics also of privateers.

F1 in colour 1960-69 by Paul Parker : All colour pics with fitting text , nicely divided in years , which means half the book is from the "halfton" period.

Regards Bjørn

#1805 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:03

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
:wave: Allthough I do not alter MHO from post 1679 , I want to say that if YOU want to be well equipped in "halfton" F1 , you IMHO must have the following books :

1 1/2 litre grand prix racing 61-65 by Mark Whitelock : The(very good) story with lots of info ,stats and bw pics.

The formula one record book (61-65) by John Thompson : All WC and non WC results with good captions and many bw pics also of privateers.

F1 in colour 1960-69 by Paul Parker : All colour pics with fitting text , nicely divided in years , which means half the book is from the "halfton" period.

Regards Bjørn

I'd also say the Setright's The Grand Prix Car, 1954-1966, Mike Lawrence Grand Prix Cars 1945-65 and the DCN Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-65. I wouldn't recommend the Bernard Cowdrey 1.5 litre book except if you're a completist.

#1806 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:23

:wave: Hey Pete , nice to hear others opinion.

#1807 figoni

figoni

• 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 22:29

I am considering buying the Monaco GP history by Moity, is it just a photographic history or is it more than that
Cheers
Timothy

#1808 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:31

GRAND PRIX AUTOMOBILE DE MONACO 4 volumes 1929 -1996 Christian Moity encyclopedia ...

Originally posted by figoni
I am considering buying the Monaco GP history by Moity, is it just a photographic history or is it more than that
Cheers
Timothy

Timothy, :wave: (might interest any book collector, I think )

it is far more than just a photography book .Everytime you ll need to come back on what happened, the encyclopedia will be a place of choice to go

for each year event, here with pics ,what is covered .I scanned pics on the chronogical order .the structure below is respected for each event, with always near 20 pages covering each one

You ll have comments for each page .The 1969 Monaco GP event as an example.

1 it begin always with a full page of official race program

Posted Image

2 Then ,a review of each team entering cars and the main features (absents, first race ect...);and the general F1 context in which the event took place .A detailed analysis of what each team changed on the car from the previous race .here the spanish GP .

Posted Image

3 Then the main technical feature of the events : in 1969 the different interpretation on WINGS .

Posted Image

4 Then the main facts for each practice session, and best lap for each session

Posted Image

5 suite of 4

Posted Image

6 Then , the race in images: with main features of what happened to each driver

Posted Image

7 suite of 6

Posted Image

8 suite of 6

Posted Image

9 suite of 6

Posted Image

10 suite of 6

Posted Image

11 suite and end of 6

Posted Image

12 Then, each driver classification with pics in the chronological order they finished .....

Posted Image

13 suite of 12 ....always a detailed analysis of the winner race, here Graham Hill.

Posted Image

14 suite of 12

Posted Image

15 suite of 12

Posted Image

16 suite of 12

Posted Image

17 suite and end of 12 . Then, a flashback summary of the supporting race : the Monaco F3 GP

Posted Image

18 Finally ,a bilan of the race with the main facts that happened .The WC classification after Monaco race.
Finally, a reminder of what happened during the 1969 F1 season.

Posted Image

sorry for the scan not perfect, but each page is larger and longer than the scanner format .So you can imagine this on 1300 pages ! Glossy paper and as you can see never or rarely seen before images , ideal to be scanned .

Michel

#1809 Big Jim

Big Jim

• 74 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 19:55

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Has anyone seen "Racing in the Rain" yet? The memoirs of John Horsman and his time with John Wyer running Astons, GT40s and 917s, published by David Bull. Any feedback would be of interest.

Alan,
I picked up a copy at Watkins Glen a few weeks ago. Very good book. I don't think you will be disappointed. Derek Bell was there as the Grand Marshall and also signed books. I was able to talk to him for a short while. Really nice guy!

#1810 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 16:33

:wave: Does anybody know if there is something wrong at motor books .co.uk ????
I have mailed them many times in the last month without getting an answer!

#1811 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 18:35

Their phone was working last week :up:

#1812 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 20:19

They are slow to respond to emails, but I had a response from them today to a query I raised last Friday.

#1813 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:19

:wave: Never experienced that before , thanks for the responds guys! I might try the telephone!

#1814 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:24

:wave: Hi green-blood ,thanks for replying ,I got the Menard by now! Liked the diapers!
Bjørn Kjer

#1815 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:17

great

daipers :blush:

#1816 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 16:13

:blush: Thumbs you know!

I got my" dispute" with Motor Books sorted out today , some silly misunderstanding!

Regards Bjørn

#1817 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,056 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 16:24

"Diapers" is correct, but I am bemused at the comment. Is this a veiled comment that the book is crap?

#1818 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 16:44

Originally posted by ensign14
Is it worth £13? ISTR it being pretty rubbish.

Well for someone whose interests include f**tball, they could buy the W Rooney book for the same figure.

:rolleyes:

#1819 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,056 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 17:03

There are very few good football books. For £13 you'd be better off with anything by Simon Kuper or Simon Inglis. And even fewer good football autobiographies - Tony Cascarino, Garry Nelson and Frank Worthington are exceptions (though the latter reads like a bonkfest more often than not). But I'd rather have them than the Menard book.

After all, does the Menard book take people any further forward than info available on the internet or in other, better, books? Mike Lang's on the races? Steve Small's on the drivers? David Hodges' on the cars? Plus the likes of forix with the statistical data & updates &c &c.

Advertisement

#1820 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 18:54

There are very few good football books. For £13 you'd be better off with anything by Simon Kuper or Simon Inglis. And even fewer good football autobiographies - Tony Cascarino, Garry Nelson and Frank Worthington are exceptions (though the latter reads like a bonkfest more often than not). But I'd rather have them than the Menard book.

I was going to say something about Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer or When Pride Still Mattered : A Life Of Vince Lombardi by David Maraniss, but realized that we might be on different wave lengths....

After all, does the Menard book take people any further forward than info available on the internet or in other, better, books? Mike Lang's on the races? Steve Small's on the drivers? David Hodges' on the cars? Plus the likes of forix with the statistical data & updates &c &c.

To be honest, there are really very few books of the many out there which ignites any fires in the soul or causes some wrinkled-brow thought as dots are connected or give you both the "Aha!" and "Ah..." moments. Yes, there are a few out there and we should be counting our blessings that we are fortunate to have them.

Neither the Menard book or those other sources really take us much of anywhere when you really sit back and think about it.We have a generation or so of people with a great amount of information, but generally very little knowledge. Worse, we seem to be drifting towards a form of illiteracy, one that is the result of the brevity with which we discuss everything on these sorts of fora. Since we know a great deal about very little in the overall scheme of things, writing has come to reflect that. Not sure if that can be avoided given the nature of things. But, it is distressing to realize that so few of the enthusiasts know how to string together several sentences worthy of being read, regardless of how interesting or informative their topic may be. I will plead mea culpa since I am surely among those I mention.

At some point, I believe someone will finally produce an e-Book in our realm of interest which will finally break at least a portion of the logjam of things worth reading that never seem destined to see the light of day from the printed page.

Since my exiles and during my wanderings in the wilderness, I have given this much thought. I would be utterly dismayed to see the printed word slip to a secondary role in the hierarchy of our literature, but we also need to realize that for every great book that sees the light of day there are many, many thousands that get little further than the initial rejection slip. And for each less than wonderful book that makes it through the gantlet, there are still many thousands that die during the process.

So, at some point I can envision there being a site -- much like 8W and linked to some organization such as the IMRRC, which becomes the new Gutenberg for aspiring authors. For all I know, such a site may well exist and I am merely ignorant of its existence.

One of the new Gutenberg concept is that it is possible to explore different modes in the presentation of the subject matter. I was very taken with how absolutely appropriate it was to cover Walt Hansgen using the format that Mike Argetsinger did, while the approach taken by Gary Doyle seems absolutely natural for Ralph Da Palma.

As I pondered all this over the past many months, I kept trying to find a theme or topic with I might experiment with as I expored the magic of virtual literature, something made possible through the magic of Word and Acrobat. I finally settled on an idea for such a project several months ago and over the past weeks I have been exploring the edges of the topic and finally setting down a skeleton to begin developing into something that will wind up at the IMRRC when completed.

As I mentioned at the beginning, we seem to be full of information but not much knowledge. Using that concept as a starting point, I have chosen a period of time -- a season -- and using that as the nexus to examine -- I prefer "consider" -- motor racing history. Or that history which I choose to consider -- truth in advertising. Despite my limited assets here many thousands of miles from my home and its library, I have managed to already build the opus into a length that boggles even my mind.

At any rate, perhaps some of us need to move from being passive observers and become active participants in the literary struggles of this sport. Indeed, we have nothing to lose but our chains.

#1821 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 18:54

:smoking: "or in other better books?" How come? You obviously have not seen the Menard book , how come you talk about better books? Just asking!

#1822 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 19:02

"or in other better books?" How come? You obviously have not seen the Menard book , how come you talk about better books? Just asking!

I think it is safe to say that he has seen the book in question. There are "better" books out there. Much better.

I happen to have a copy only because it was truly dirt cheap and deeply discounted to boot. Otherwise, I would not have a copy since what I paid for it (maybe $25) was more than enough. Not sure that I have even looked through it more than two or three times since I purchased it. Nice to have on the (bottom) shelf just in case. My grandson seems to like it, however, so not a complete waste of money.

#1823 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,056 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 19:04

I remember the first edition and pored through it in a bookshop. Came to the conclusion that it did not have anything that I could not reasonably find out through other books. Then again, I'm spoilt as I took a Saturday job at 13 and spent all I earned on the Black Books, Lang, Nye, Lawrence et al.

#1824 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 20:00

:wave: Get your point Ensign. And the remark was in connection with post 1754.

#1825 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:44

I acquired a nicely-priced copy of TASO Mathieson's Grand Prix Racing 1906-1914 this week and from the point of view of history and of photography I have to rate it an absolute classic. The standard of repro are amazing, the photography itself is absolutely astonishing. It really brings those pioneering Grands Prix to life. Very, very highly recommended.

#1826 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 14:06

Originally posted by petefenelon
I acquired a nicely-priced copy of TASO Mathieson's Grand Prix Racing 1906-1914 this week and from the point of view of history and of photography I have to rate it an absolute classic. The standard of repro are amazing, the photography itself is absolutely astonishing. It really brings those pioneering Grands Prix to life. Very, very highly recommended.

Not long after the Mathieson book appeared about four decades ago, I scraped together some money for another purpose and stumbled upon the book in a NYC bookstore at a most reasonable price and spent part on the money on the book. One of the best bargains in my life -- and one of the reasons I truly enjoy that era. Alas, the book was lost along the way and I was fortunate enough to replace it several years ago. Just an excellent book.

#1827 McTaff

McTaff

• 106 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 19:06

I'm probably in the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone on here collects rallying books? I have a fair collection and am always on the lookout for something I haven't seen. :)

#1828 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 13:04

I recently came across a copy of the Jesse Alexander photo album - "Driven" at a remainder book shop. Great period B&W photographs (1954 - 1962) with an excellent selection of both action & static shots.

Amongst the many highlights for me is an apposite composition of Fangio looking over his shoulder whilst driving in his final GP.

In the rear section of the book each picture is repeated in thumb nail size and captioned by Alexander. This book is a gem ! My copy had an original price of US$35.00, now reduced to £6.99.

#1829 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:34

Originally posted by McTaff
I'm probably in the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone on here collects rallying books? I have a fair collection and am always on the lookout for something I haven't seen. :)

McTaff,

here's my list of rally books:

a) General:

- Les rallyes (Cyril Frey)
- Rallying - The 4 wheel drive revolution (Graham Robson)
- History of rallying (Graham Robson)
- Rallying with BP (Editions Stanley Paul)
- Rally (Reinhard Klein)
- Rally cars (Reinhard Klein)

b) Yearbooks:

- Rallying '78 (Martin Holmes / Hugh Bishop)
- World Rallying 1 (Hugh Bishop / Martin Holmes)
- Rothmans World Rallying 3 (Martin Holmes / Hugh Bishop)
- Rothmans World Rallying 4 (Martin Holmes / Hugh Bishop)
- Rothmans World Rallying 5 (Martin Holmes / Hugh Bishop)
- Audi Sport World of Rallying 6 (Martin Holmes)
- Temporada española de rallyes 1983-1984 (Jorge Arce / Javier Bueno)
- Rallyworld 1986/87 (Peter Foubister)
- Pirelli Rallies - World Rallying 10 1987/88 (Martin Holmes)
- Rallies 1993/1994 (Francisco Santos)
- Pirelli Rallies - World Rallying 17 1994-1995 (Martin Holmes)
- Rallies 1995-1996 - World Rallying 18 1995-1996 (Martin Holmes)
- RallyMania (Josep Colomer)
- Rally a Rally 2003-2004 - Campeonato del Mundo - Campeonatos de España de asfalto y tierra (Javier Bueno / Pipo López)

c) Manuals:

- Manual de rallies (Àlex Romaní)
- Rally manual (Richard Bensted-Smith)
- Le coéquipier (Jean-François Jacob)
- Come si vince un rally (Antonio Thellung)
- Castrol Rally Manual (Peter Browning)
- Castrol Rally Manual 2 (Peter Browning)
- Castrol Rally Manual 3 (Mike Greasley)
- Rallys (Antonio Zanini)

d) Events:

- Le Tour de France Automobile 1899-1986 - 50 éditiions (Maurice Louche)
- Alpine Trials & Rallies - 1910 to 1973 (Martin Pfundner)
- A History of The Monte-Carlo Rally (Michael Frostick)
- The Monte-Carlo Rally (Graham Robson)
- Liege-Rome-Liege - 1931-1971 Marathon de la Route - Liege-Sofie-Liege (Jean-Paul Delsaux)
- The story of the RAC International Rally (Phil Drackett)
- RAC Rally - Up-dated edition 1932-1988 (Maurice Hamilton)
- Le Tour de Corse Automobile 1956-1986 (En appendice 1987-88-89) - Ile de Beaute 1957-1973 (Maurice Louche)
- Del Rallye de Orense al Rallye de Ourense 1967-1999 (Javier Figueiredo Pérez)
- Paris-Dakar - El Rallye inacabado (Jean-Louis Moncet)
- Carnets de Raid 89 - 6 envoyés spéciaux racontent le 11e Pioneer Paris-Tunis-Dakar (Jean-Louis Moncet / Gilles Navarro)
- El Dakar 89 - Paris-Barcelona-Dakar (Jérôme Bureau / Patrick Blain)
- 11e Paris-Barcelona-Dakar - Libro oficial TSO (Lorenzo Cortina / Francesc Bover)

e) Cars:

- Jaguar XK - la compétition sur route dans les années 1950 (Bernard Viart)
- The BMC/BL Competitions Department - 25 years in Motor Sport - the cars, the people, the events (Bill Price)
- 037 - Ultimo mito (Piergiorgio Pelassa)
- Lancia Stratos - World Champion Rally Car (Nigel Trow)
- From Two-Stroke to Turbo - SAAB in motorsport since 1949 (Anders Tunberg)

f) Drivers:

- Carlos Sainz - Un español Campeón del Mundo de rallyes (Carlos Sainz / Ricardo Muñoz / Ángel Orte)

Carles.

#1830 McTaff

McTaff

• 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 13:09

Mmmmmmmmm, that's a lot, here goes,

12 x Mitsubishi yearbooks

7 x WRC yearbooks Joubin/Vennin

Rallying 78

World Rallying 1 - 28

Rallycourse, all but 89-90, 90-91, 91-92

9 x Rallyworld (Tudor)

1 x Rallyworld (Weyens)

1 x World Rally News

Slideshow 03,04,05 McKlein

Volker Grosse buch vom Rallyesport

Futamura - The Rally

Futamura - Rallye

Klein - Rally

Klein - Rally cars

M-Sport - Documentary of a rally team

2 x Martini Racing Story

1993 Lombard London - Sydney Marathon

Safari Rally - Klein limited edition copy

History of the Safari Rally - Barnard

The Flying Sikh - Barnard

Safari Rally comes of age - Amin/Moll

History of the Safari Rally - Disney

Night Moves - Orrick

Nineteen to the dozen - Green

Every second counts - Vatanen

Quattro - Volker/Frere

Quattro - Walton

2 x Der Rallyesport

John Player yearbook 72,73,75

History of rallying - Robson

Richard Burns - Williams

Ford & McRae - Allsop

Impreza - Rees

The Himalayan Minor - Phillip Young

The Peugeot 205 Story - Todt

Mr Saab - Eriksson

Mad for road - Crawford/Tyndall

RAC Rally Action - Gardiner

Stage by Stage - Russell Brookes

Rallying! - Mason & Turner

Lancia Stratos - Curami

Drive it Rallying - Turner & Mason

1995 London - Mexico Rally

The four wheel drive revolution - Robson

The Guinness book of rallying - Davenport

Le Dakar 85

Rally Cars given the works

21 years of the World Championship - Campbell

Rallying - Sclater & Holmes

RAC Rally - Hamilton

RAC Rally - Le Grand

Impreza - Long

Lancer - Long

Roger Clark - Campbell

Roger Clark - Sideways to victory

Rupert Jones, the rallying reverend

A history of the Monte Carlo Rally

Richard Burns - Driving ambition

Rally - Davenport

The hot seat - Fellows

Rally Navigation - Holmes

McRae - Williams

Two stroke to turbo - Tunberg

A boot full of right arms - green

The real mcRae

The choice of champions - Sutton

Quattro - MRP library

The works Escorts - Robson

Rally co-driving - phil Short

Twice lucky - Turner

The rally handbook - Hudson-Evans

Marathon - Brittan

Rally of the forests - Drackett

Tricks of the rally game

Safari Fever - brittan

Bourne to rally - Bourne

Castrol rally manual 1-3

The besy rally in the world - Molyneux

Yumping yarns - Bamber

The Pits x 3 - bamber

#1831 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 14:36

... and the winner is... McTaff. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice recollection, indeed. :up:

Carles.

BTW: I've also the two Martini Racing Story books.

#1832 McTaff

McTaff

• 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 14:54

I still have more to collect but they are a little hard to find. I have even co-produced a book myself!! I will pm the web link if you like. It's a local interest rallying book, it is about a place called Epynt in Wales.

#1833 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 17:11

Couple of other rallying books to suggest: Peter Harper's autobiography 'Destination Monte' (published by Stanley Paul in 1964); also Michael Frostick's account of the Rootes works team history up to 1963 'Works Team'.

#1834 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 20:41

I still have more to collect but they are a little hard to find. I have even co-produced a book myself!! I will pm the web link if you like. It's a local interest rallying book, it is about a place called Epynt in Wales.

It deals with the Tour of Epynt, I suppose.

Carles.

#1835 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 17:10

:blush: I know this thread is to "say" , but I would like to "hear" a couple of words on the following Books

Le Mans 1960-69 C.Pitt @ 13.95
Le Mans 49-57 Jaguar years
Le Mans 58-65 Ferrari years
Sports car heaven Aston v. Ferrari , incl.1957?
Endurance 50 ans d´histoire 53-63 C.Moity £42.99
Endurance 50 ans d´histoire 64-81 C.Moity ? £ 42.99

How are they , good pics, colour , full results , also paddoack pics ??????????????????????????????

And the french ones , are they for non-french too???????????

Kind regards , Bjørn

#1836 McTaff

McTaff

• 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 17:58

Originally posted by jarama

It deals with the Tour of Epynt, I suppose.

Carles.

Try EPYNT BOOK

It deals with ALL the Tour of Epynts + lots more. See the blurb

#1837 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 18:34

Hi All

Just a quick question regarding the Le Mans yearbooks.

Does anybody know why there was not an English laguage version of the 1982 yearbook published ?

It was the only year to not have an English version.

Look forward to any response.

Cheers
Rob

#1838 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 19:13

Because the publishers are French?

;)

#1839 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 20:14

Hang on, where can I find a Le Mans book in English for 1980-3 and 1985-6?

The story I've heard is that the question should be the other way around, i.e. why were there English editions in those pre-Jag XJR years. 1978 was an experiment, 1979 was funded by the Whittingtons as they'd won the thing & they wanted to show off, and 1984 might have been an early attempt to jump on the Jaguar bandwagon.

Advertisement

#1840 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 21:36

:blush: I know this thread is to "say" , but I would like to "hear" a couple of words on the following Books

Le Mans 49-57 Jaguar years
Le Mans 58-65 Ferrari years
Endurance 50 ans d´histoire 53-63 C.Moity £42.99
Endurance 50 ans d´histoire 64-81 C.Moity ? £ 42.99

I've got these books.

For the 2 british books black and white photos but the quality is not very good, because there are some copy from news papers ...but very interisting.

For the 2 french (3 in the collection) black and white for the first years and colour for the n#2.
There are no complete results but the 10 better of each race.

#1841 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 20:36

Hello from FRANCE

I've just to find in a bookseller a collection of several (I think all) about "l'année automobile" since the begining at today. I've got already several book of this collection but never the firsts ...

Today I bought the 14th firsts numbers of this collection for only 1000 euros and I'm very happy because this price is just for the number 1 actually in the booksellers market.
Someone say to me that the price for the number 2 is near 1500 euros :confused:

Haine kane is very ... but VERY happy :) :)

#1842 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,056 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 21:59

I'm currently reading "The Lost Generation" and it's a bloody difficult read. Not because Tremayne is a bad writer. The exact opposite. He's too good. You're getting to know Pryce, Williamson and Brise, and seeing how great they were going to be, and trying not to know the ending... :(

#1843 FLB

FLB

• 1,921 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:05

Originally posted by ensign14
I'm currently reading "The Lost Generation" and it's a bloody difficult read. Not because Tremayne is a bad writer. The exact opposite. He's too good. You're getting to know Pryce, Williamson and Brise, and seeing how great they were going to be, and trying not to know the ending... :(

I've just placed my order with Amazon.ca. They say they'll have it in February 2007. I was hesitating before ordering it because I wanted to see what else was coming out for Christmas, but your review made me realize I'd be making a big mistake if I didn't buy it.

#1844 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 283 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:04

Try EPYNT BOOK

It deals with ALL the Tour of Epynts + lots more. See the blurb

I was given a copy of this book yesterday and it is superb. A thousand times better than I ever thought it would be. Excellent photographs and really high quality printing along with really interesting personal stories.

And tying in with the previous post, quite a lot of photographs of Tom Pryce with the Lancia Stratos and David Richards as co-driver!

Fred

#1845 figoni

figoni

• 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 21:20

I got the Grand Prix Automobile de Monaco Book yesterday., the day after my birthday
Amazing photo's, details regarding race etc.
Very, very happy day for me.

So now lots of reading
And now my book shelf contains
Time and Two Seats - Wimpffen
Alfa 8C2300 - Moore
GP de Monaco - Montariel
Porsche Excellence was expected 2nd Ed. - Ludvigsen

And about 30 others

Do I need to get a new bookshelf ?? or perhaps a reinforced floor

Tim

#1846 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 22:44

A second mortgage would seem appropriate.... :)

#1847 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 13:20

I got the Grand Prix Automobile de Monaco Book yesterday., the day after my birthday

Tim

:clap: :clap:

excellent taste

#1848 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 17:19

Sounds like a pretty choice selection, figoni.

#1849 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 19:20

I found Len Sutton's name in more than forty posts on TNF, but nary a one mentioned his book, My Road To Indy.

Len, who has just embarked on a chemotherapy series, is an accomplished communicator and has plenty of interesting things to say. The only criticisms of the book I've heard are "It ends too soon" and "It's too short".

You can order it from his Web site, and he'd be pleased to personalize one of the second printing, which is dwindling down ...

Len Sutton
indysutton@comcast.net
www.lensutton.com

If you are not a member of the very active Yahoo!
RACING HISTORY Group, consider signing up.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA
USA

#1850 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 23:05

So now lots of reading
And now my book shelf contains
Time and Two Seats - Wimpffen
Alfa 8C2300 - Moore
GP de Monaco - Montariel
Porsche Excellence was expected 2nd Ed. - Ludvigsen

And about 30 others

Do I need to get a new bookshelf ?? or perhaps a reinforced floor

Tim

Both! :)