Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7751 replies to this topic

#2201 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 13:27

It should be noted that people can have problems with PayPal.

For the 99 out of 100, it works fine, but if you're the 1, things can get problematic - to put it mildly.

I had to cancel 2 PP accounts. The first one was down to a blunder on their behalf, where the debit card was charged twice and it took months to get a refund (being a debit card it wasn't funny) and the second was because they wanted my credit-card info and weren't content with my bank details. Because I sell items that are susceptible to fraudsters (electronics), I wasn’t content to hand over my CC details, so I cancelled the account (business associates have seen their CC account cleared out due to iffy PP claims…)

People who make a living on Ebay usually set up a dedicated acount for PayPal. Note that there are many people suing PayPal worldwide (a six-figure amount...). Up until recently, the 2nd and 3rd Google hits for PP were anti-PP sites… http://en.wikipedia....ayPal#Criticism

It works well for most people, but I do know of associates who’ve gotten into real trouble. I won’t list them here, but there still are many loopholes in the system for the determined fraudster unfortunately… I prefer to use conventional credit-card where possible.

Don’t be put off, but forewarned is forearmed.

Justin

edit - I recently checked this issue with my bank; no-one can obtain access to your bank account (a UK account that is) via your number and sort-code; and if they did, the bank would be liable.

The difference with PP is that they get you to assign them with the legal right to delve into your account as part of their contract.

Most companies put their account details on their websites these days - that's not a worry.

Advertisement

#2202 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 15:25

Originally posted by flat-16
It should be noted that people can have problems with PayPal.

For the 99 out of 100, it works fine, but if you're the 1, things can get problematic - to put it mildly.

[snip]

The difference with PP is that they get you to assign them with the legal right to delve into your account as part of their contract.

Yes, it can go wrong, just hasn't in my own case. One thing to bear in mind, eBay now owns PayPal ...

Several people have also had their PayPal accounts summarily suspended [legally] with no redress or access to large balances for six months or more. And PayPal refuse to answer any mails asking why this has happened. So a good idea NOT to leave any large amount in your PayPal account just in case - it's free to transfer balances (above a pretty small amount) into your bank so not a real problem.

#2203 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 15:29

I was among the "one in a hundred" who had problems with PayPal. They did several double charges and other knuckleheaded things which caused headaches for well over a year before they were resolved. Along with being quite unimpressed and vastly underwhelmed with eBay itself, my problems with PayPal mean that they could both disappear off the face of the earth and rot in hell and it wouldn't bother me in the least -- I would be happy to help by showing up with a shovel and a load of coal.....

#2204 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 19:35

Don't mince your words, Don!

Perhaps the most telling thing about PP is that - considering how much 'web-based commerce is going on these days - you'd think the various financial firms would be queuing up for a piece of the online payment pie... The fact is, they're not... This leads me to believe that the operation is so stripped-to-the-bone that other firms simply don't want to compete...

When you purchase any service or product, part of the fee goes on customer service; one can only conclude that PP have limited this aspect in order to keep fees down...

Monopolies do nothing for the consumer...

Don't click on this link unless you have a strong stomach (funnily enough, it gets the first non-PP hit in Google when you type 'PayPal'...): http://www.paypalsucks.com/

It should be noted that, for many people who run online businesses, it's now become practically impossible to work without PayPal, and I hope anyone here in that bracket isn't offended by my posting of these links - in many ways, I have 'bitten my nose to spite my face' by cancelling the PP account - there are some countries (ex-dictatorships, ironically enough...) where PP has revolutionised the way the population can obtain foreign-made goods.

Justin

#2205 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 22:45

Originally posted by flat-16
Don't mince your words, Don!

Perhaps the most telling thing about PP is that - considering how much 'web-based commerce is going on these days - you'd think the various financial firms would be queuing up for a piece of the online payment pie... The fact is, they're not... This leads me to believe that the operation is so stripped-to-the-bone that other firms simply don't want to compete...

When you purchase any service or product, part of the fee goes on customer service; one can only conclude that PP have limited this aspect in order to keep fees down...

Monopolies do nothing for the consumer...

normally a monopoly do exactly the opposite . they charge whatever fees they want .not only complete monoply but cartel too like banks and oil company. so far by the way you describe it paypal seem to be a very commendable company for his policy, but the real reason of there reasonable greed is that . E-bay wouldnt be the success it is without an affordable payment system like " paypal". must add that so far i never had any bad experiences with them, im more distrustful of the sellers

#2206 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:55

Famous last words but I've never had a problem with ebay or paypal. Indeed I like paypal so much (touch wood) that I much prefer to deal with online businesses who offer this service. A case in point is the Saward book on Williams and Benoist, ordered Tuesday night, arrived Friday morning. On the face of it this looks like an outstanding book, only glanced at it so far but it seems full of interesting stuff, for example I didn't know Juliette Greco was Wimille's mistress, also a photo of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor at Wimille's funeral with Fangio praying in the background grabbed the attention.

#2207 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 17:57

Back when I was a young stripling I owned the Floyd Clymer published books on Dick Seaman and Monkhouse's book on racing with Mercedes.

Over the years I have owned many excellent books which as a result of an over twenty year career in the military came and went.

I have done a rebuild on the library through old local book stores and eBay and have refurbished the blood thing to a fairly large collection of the books I find interesting. These include: All the books by Prince Chula about Bira and Princess Birabongse's "The Prince and I." The four books written by Mike Hawthorn (Two racing books and two children's books). All of the "period" books written by Stirling Moss, the period books written about Juan Manuel Fangio and many more.

The newer books, written in hindsight, are usually "warts and all." Having grown up during the time these guys were active I find the older books more interesting.

BTW one of the young drivers I work with is from Uzbekistan and when we did the Formula Renault UK series a year ago one of the races was at Donington Park. I dragged him on a personally narrated tour through Tom Wheatcroft's Collection. Somewhere during the tour he said to me. " You are a walking book!"

Recently I had the opportunity to walk him through the Indianapolis Museum. He asked me. "Is there anything you don't know about racing?" I told him. "Probably, but I'm not sure."

Gotta Love It

#2208 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 14:54

Originally posted by pilota

Hi Jack
My English metal cover version arrived today. Very nice book, good quality - cover is a bit of a gimmick - photo and description here http://www.libreriad...asp?IDBook=8283
Probably only for those who have to have everything
Nathan

Thanks, Nathan.

My copy is supposed to be waiting for me at Cavallino Classic next weekend.

Jack

#2209 bluelite

bluelite

• 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 16:53

Originally posted by Antoine Pilette
JP Delsaux book on the GP de Bruxelles has been released.... I should get my copy soon!

Where did you buy the book about the Brussels GP, Antoine?

I also would like to buy the "Grand Prix Saboteurs" book by Joe Saward, but I do not have VISA/Mastercard... I hope I can find that book somewhere. Maybe in Roadrunner in Hasselt (Belgium that is) or else I have to go to England.

#2210 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 17:00

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

Thanks, Nathan.
My copy is supposed to be waiting for me at Cavallino Classic next weekend.
Jack

Jack
Have a good time at CC - but leave some space in your luggage bag for Red Dream - it comes in a BIG box
Nathan

#2211 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:50

Originally posted by pilota

Jack
Have a good time at CC - but leave some space in your luggage bag for Red Dream - it comes in a BIG box
Nathan

Nathan,

We're driving, so if it'll fit into the boot we shouldn't have a problem (unless I buy a lot of other stuff!)

Jack

#2212 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:17

Since this thread is now pretty much gotten to the point where it is quite long and unwieldy, I apologize if this has already been mentioned.....

Graham Gauld will soon have another offering out, his Gauld Mine Series which will begin with his offerings on Ferrari. If anything like his other books, well worth getting.

#2213 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,041 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 22:32

Back in November Mark Ballard asked about Canning Brown's book on Austin 7 competition cars:

http://www.austintwincam.co.uk/

My copy arrived today.

One word: WOW!!!

This is an awesome piece of research. I knew I'd hit paydirt when I opened it at random to find a report on a race at Muriwai in New Zealand. And that's not the most obscure event covered!!

Inevitably a few typos, but they don't detract from the value of the information.

£45 including postage and worth every penny :up:

#2214 Joe Saward

Joe Saward

• 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:17

For a closer look...

http://www.morienval.com/cover.html

#2215 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:10

Welcome on TNF, Joe!

#2216 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,668 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 16:36

Hear, hear, welcome Joe.

I have been waiting years for your book to be published, and now I have tried to order it, your website doesn't accept the payment information I have submitted. Oh dear, I shall have to order it from some other source.

#2217 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 18:20

I was reading the "Bugatti Queen", but have been completely distracted by my latest E Bay purchase.

Pete said of it...

It's a sort of mixture of engineering, sex, backwoods philosophy, sex, drink, sex, oil prospecting, sex, flying, sex, travel, sex, attacks on the France family, sex, dogs, sex, racing, and sex.

Cut out the rude bits and it'd be one little paperback (actually, that's not true - they've just republished it as one paperback missing some of the pics but with all of the words left in).

Smokey's writing style is.... well, Hemingway he wasn't. His attitude to grammar is fairly flexible, his vocabulary would shame the average longshoreman and his choice of subject matter idiosyncratic to say the least. He's the perfect narrator - cynical, world-weary, and far, far cleverer than the reader.

All in all they are just a total blast to read - really does feel like you're sat there while Smokey's fettling away at something, cussing and ranting on a long hot afternoon.

I've just got through the introduction entitled "Foreskin", and already found Pete's review to be spot on. :eek:

#2218 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 18:43

Originally posted by Joe Saward

For a closer look...

http://www.morienval.com/cover.html

Hello matey! :wave:

You took your time, mind...

#2219 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 22:23

Originally posted by David Beard
I was reading the "Bugatti Queen", but have been completely distracted by my latest E Bay purchase.

Pete said of it...

I've just got through the introduction entitled "Foreskin", and already found Pete's review to be spot on. :eek:

I'm glad it went to a fellow TNF'r :)

Advertisement

#2220 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:30

FOGGY by Carl Fogarty (but probably really written by Neil Bramwell)(ISBN 0-00-218960-7)

I had been pre-warned about the contents and style of this book so it shouldn't have come as a great surprise to discover what a pile of tosh it turned out to be. 'Forthright treatment', 'honest,down-to-earth', are just two of the descriptions given to this talented, unpleasant man. The book seems to have been written for the appetite of the typical SUN reader with frequent references to who and where he shags, and how often he vomits. Blowjobs get a frequent mention, something which can hardly fail to impress his mother-in-law. He slags off just about every star rider with the exception of Mike Hailwood and believes he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yet it's amazing just how often he falls off the bike, and it's always the bikes fault, the tyres fault, or another riders fault. He flitted from team to team and found fault with each and every one of them. Even his final big crash, he blamed the other rider for failing to see him approaching from behind, yet he went for a daft overtake on the right when there was no room to get past. He hit the other rider, Austrian Rider Robert Ulm, up the back and the injuries he received brought an end of his career.

The only part of the book which showed his softer side was the death in his swimming pool of the little daughter of a friend.

"...and arguably the best motorbike rider from Britain" states the flyleaf. Perhaps Mike Hailwood and Joey Dunlop know something differently.

An unpleasant book about an unpleasant man, still at £1.99 from a charity shop, nothing lost. Probably the worst read since FLATOUT, FLAT BROKE by Perry McCarthy.

#2221 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:05

uh oh, I thought McCarthys book was a decent enough read, he never claimed to be the lost Senna or anything

"foggy" very talented, but a right tosser by all accounts

#2222 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:22

There was certainly no malice in Perry's book - OK, he reckoned he was better than Hill, Blundell, Donnelly etc which his results never really suggested, but he never descends to saying people were rubbish - just that he never got the chance to prove how good he was because he couldn't get the right deals. And it was a damn good read told in an engaging 'wide-boy' style - I've been in the audience when he was speaking at Le Mans and I reckon he could've made a great living as a Mike Reid-style high-velocity standup comic!

It comes across as one of the most honest driver autobiographies since Innes Ireland's - nowhere near as eloquent but just as much fun.

#2223 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:50

Originally posted by green-blood

"foggy" very talented, but a right tosser by all accounts

:up:

#2224 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:36

Apparantly there's a John Reynolds autobiography out. Any idea if it's worth a read? Got to be better than Foggy's diabolical effort.

BTW, for what it's worth, John R gave me more pleasure from any form of racing than I've had in years. When the Ducatis were the things to beat in British Superbikes, the sight of JR riding his nuts off to keep on equal terms with them was truly stirring stuff.

#2225 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 19:51

Originally posted by PRD

I'm glad it went to a fellow TNF'r :)

I'm pleased to find I bought it from one ;)

#2226 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 17:15

:( Just red on the Ferrarichat that the Rodriguez book is to have , in Mexico. With many "non allowed" or permissioned pictures , not even a name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesnt sound good ! I will NOT buy it!

#2227 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 17:42

Bjørn
I realise English is not your first language, but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say :confused:

#2228 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 17:48

I have received an email from Motorbooks stating that BRM Vol 3 had been sent out in the mail.

I have to assume that was what they sent since I already had the Pete Coltrin book that was on the same order.

Anyone else?

:confused: but if true :love:

#2229 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 18:33

Post 2221 , sorry I meant "un" permissioned. That would mean something as broken copyrights.! The author did not ask the copyrightholder for permission, did not even mention him in the book!

#2230 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 22:36

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
I have received an email from Motorbooks stating that BRM Vol 3 had been sent out in the mail.

I have to assume that was what they sent since I already had the Pete Coltrin book that was on the same order.

Anyone else?

Amazon are quoting me a delivery date of 5th-20th Feb. I suppose there's one person who'll know definitively...

(Knowing my luck it'll arrive while I'm at a tedious conference in the US next week...)

#2231 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 23:04

Originally posted by petefenelon

Amazon are quoting me a delivery date of 5th-20th Feb. I suppose there's one person who'll know definitively...

(Knowing my luck it'll arrive while I'm at a tedious conference in the US next week...)

That's always the way it goes.....sods law, when I am away the things I look forward to receiving the most arrive, when I am home, just the bills and University fees arrive :rolleyes:

#2232 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:23

:eek: :eek: Amazon are quoting me a delivery date of 5th-20th Feb. :eek: :eek: I suppose there's one person who'll know definitively...

...... according to Doug he's still working on it

http://forums.autosp...073#post2614073
Rob

#2233 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 13:25

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

Rob

Perhaps Doug's gone all Douglas Adams on us - DNA used to be frantically working on his scripts several hours after the recordings of HHGTTG episodes was over and the actors had gone home... ;P

#2234 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 14:34

Quick review here of Anthony Pritchard's Aston Martin: A Racing History...

Covers a lot of ground and has a lot of space to do it in at around 350 pages, then again Astons have been competing in one way or another for 80-odd years. Particularly clear on the pre-war years, and although Pritchard apologises for the photos I think most of the pre-War stuff is splendid.

Ultimately Pritchard seems to be of the opinion that Astons consistently underachieved and lacked proper commitment from the top for their racing programme and it's hard to disagree much.

Isn't afraid to say where John Wyer was wrong in either The Certain Sound or Racing With The David Brown Aston Martins, and really does focus on the fifties in a lot of depth, with virtually every outing for a works or works-supported car being analysed. Plenty of excellent photos of the cars at rest and in competition.

Although the focus is very much on works and works-supported sports cars, the unsuccessful F1 programme gets its share of coverage, as do Aston-powered sports racers (the Surtees Lolas, Nimrod/EMKA/Cheetah...) RHAM-1 is even in there, as is the unsuccessful 1995 French DB7 Le Mans project. The return to racing with the AMR-1 and the GT return in 2005 are well-described although there's a definite impression that Pritchard prefers the 'good old days' - to add some balance, he's quite keen to point out that the "gentlemen's club" atmosphere of the Aston works team in the 50s wasn't always conducive to good team discipline (in particular Wyer is occasionally described as having a bark far, far worse than his bite; the team's treatment of "working class Northerner" Geoff Duke also comes in for some deserved criticism).

The writing style is a little odd, in places it's a bit staccato and reads like paragraphs may have cut and pasted around fairly arbitrarily, and once in a while Pritchard moves from straight reportage to saying decisions were "moronic", "inexplicable" etc - there's a lot of passion in there and it escapes at times! The main text is accompanied by extracts from contemporary magazines (road tests, race reports) and biographies; there's some good appendices on the cars and drivers and in depth chapters on key people.

All in all a very approachable and well-produced history of Aston in racing that gently debunks a lot of myth and really does have some significant depth and breadth - describes what went on off-track well enough to explain some of the failures, has some very good photography and is told from the point of view of a definite Aston fan. Highly recommended, clearly a book the author has 'lived' and feels deeply about, though not perfect.

#2235 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 15:32

Are Amazon perhaps quoting a delivery date for "BRM - A Mechanics Tale" rather than BRM Vol.3? :confused:
Nathan

#2236 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 18:39

Whatever they are quoting for, that particular title will be nothing to do with me.

I've got enough problems at the moment still trying to locate one missing page of a vital contemporary technical report - and unravelling the peculiarities of the A-882 heavy-duty transmission doobry - quite apart from who was really doing what with whom in the 'Shady Nook' bar that particular Friday night... ):

DCN

#2237 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:18

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

Rob

Come on now; is anything ever really finished?

#2238 Joe Saward

Joe Saward

• 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 20:46

In case anyone is interested... David Tremayne wrote the following about The Grand Prix Saboteurs on www.grandprix.com:

"The best grand prix racing stories are not always those that get told. The Grand Prix Saboteurs came frighteningly close to remaining in that province. It was only author Joe Saward's unwavering determination to tell the tale that enabled it finally to see the light of a publishing day, and then only because he grasped the bull's horns and set up his own operation to produce it (excellent value at £12.99 in paperback form). Along the way he had to put up with rejection by unimaginative publishers (who, if they read this book now will surely feel embarrassed by their lack of foresight), and plagiarism by some authors who would never have discovered many of ïtheir' facts without access to Saward's research which one interviewee chose not to return to him, after he had left it with them simply to prove his bona fides.

The further the world moves away from the distant days of racing in the Twenties and Thirties with each passing year, the easier it is for people to rely on dogma and the so-called established word of the era. It helps that Saward has invested 18 years of research into this epic, just as it did that the British Government finally released some more key documents in 2003 that enabled him to prove, to his own satisfaction, that he had generally drawn accurate conclusions from all his painstaking detective work of the past.

Thus are we in a privileged position to learn much more about the motor racing careers of two of its central characters - English-born Willy Grover, the man who won the first-ever Monaco GP in 1929; and Frenchman Robert Benoist who, had such a thing existed in 1927, would have been that season's World Champion for Delage.

The outcome is a fascinating and long overdue insight into an underwritten era of motorsport history. But it is significantly more than that, for it also embraces World War II and the events that led both to work for Maurice Buckmaster's shadowy Special Operations Executive in France against the occupying Germans, and ultimately to their grisly fates.

Saward's unflinching forensic investigation into a complex true story that is a combination of sporting endeavour and world conflict, puts flesh on the bones of long departed ghosts from racing's past and rattles along with all the drama and pace of a John Le Carre thriller. And it does not shrink from putting accepted wisdom into fresh perspective. British resistance heroine Violette Szabo, it transpires, may not have been fully deserving of all the praise heaped upon her posthumously, both in terms of military honours and the film Carve Her Name With Pride. Yet Saward has not sought to debunk icons for the sake of it; what he says about Szabo is said respectfully in a straightforward interpretation of the facts he has unearthed from myriad official sources. Nor is he opprobrious in his revelation of Maurice Benoist's betrayal of his own brother; the former is simply judged by the truth.

This is an important addition to the libraries of any true grand prix aficionados, who will find themselves in thrall to the courage not just of men such as Grover and Benoist, but also to women such as Szabo, Denise Bloch and Andree Borrell who resisted with equal zeal. As a social document, and a tribute to the oft-unsung members of SOE, The Grand Prix Saboteurs stands as a towering monument to those who chose to stand and fight, and, when their time came, to pay the ultimate price for their passionate belief in freedom."

www.morienval.com

#2239 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 00:54

Perhaps Doug's gone all Douglas Adams on us - DNA used to be frantically working on his scripts several hours after the recordings of HHGTTG episodes was over and the actors had gone home... ;P

Please leave Doug alone...he's supposed to be working on the Phil Hill book!;)

Jack

Advertisement

#2240 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 19:06

Indeed - the important thing is that I do not need reminding of that. In fact the two cohabit pretty comfortably, and V3 genuinely is almost done. Phil's photography though - 1947-1962 - COOOORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
DCN

#2241 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 19:33

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

Anyone else?

As you were -- Computer error.

#2242 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 23:19

Hope you enjoy the Pete Coltrin book, Colonel, presumably the one with the Nixon narrative, unless they have unearthed more of the original set................

Roger Lund.

#2243 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 23:29

[i]Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
Please leave Doug alone...he's supposed to be working on the Phil Hill book!;)

Jack [/B]

I was recently fortunate enough to see a copy of the promotional pre-publication booklet which shows examples of the photos and book SIZE and layout. I suspect the book will raise the game to a new level beyond Michel Bollee, Janos Wimpffen and the Palawan stuff ( irrespective of your views on Simon Draper's works). Reserved mine already via the Phil Hill website listed previously.

I suspect it will be a limited run and highly sought after.

Usual disclaimers, just an enthusiast

RL

#2244 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:05

:wave: Can anyone give me his wiev on the book "Maserati days" by G.Cancellieri ? Any color pics ? Only racing ? Period ?

#2245 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 16:57

Just seen an advert for a new book in Racecar Engineering magazine

BRM : A MECHANIC'S TALE by 'Dick' Salmon, Veloce www.veloce.co.uk ISBN 1-84584-082-2 hardbound 224 pages £39.99

'Dick'Salmon worked for BRM from 1951 for 17 years , life on the road across Europe with the highs and lows of the team's ambitious plans and the levels of F1 engineering in that era.

Anyone seen it ?

#2246 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 17:09

Richard, see previous posts. Bjorn , I know, has got it , as have I. It is very good, with quality period photos and good narrative.

Roger Lund

#2247 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 19:31

I'll second that.. my copy arrived today from Amazon (£26.39) and just browsing the photos brought a BIG smile :up:
Rob

#2248 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:50

Originally posted by bradbury west

I was recently fortunate enough to see a copy of the promotional pre-publication booklet which shows examples of the photos and book SIZE and layout. I suspect the book will raise the game to a new level beyond Michel Bollee, Janos Wimpffen and the Palawan stuff ( irrespective of your views on Simon Draper's works). Reserved mine already via the Phil Hill website listed previously.

I suspect it will be a limited run and highly sought after.

Usual disclaimers, just an enthusiast

RL

Same here.

(Please see private message).

Jack

#2249 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:42

The book on David Piper is now on the market. Written by Greg Mills, Andrew Reed and TNF'er Robert Young (ry6).

Can you perhaps tell us more, Rob?

#2250 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:46

oops, been shopping with SimonLewis again

the poor postman

thanks Simon