The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#2501 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:47

Originally posted by RA Historian
...Bernard Cahier's book... a bit troubling.

The first is that it is apparent that Cahier relied on his memory rather than research for a lot of the racing items.

This is what I meant when I said the pictures were history and the words were autobiography... it's a subjective book and for Cahier it seems more important to record the personal background to how the pics came about rather than the definitive history of the races and racers in them. I know i have other books that contain more detail on the racing history; what Cahier adds is atmosphere, personalities and some gorgeous photos.

Advertisement

#2502 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,100 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:10

Originally posted by petefenelon

This is what I meant when I said the pictures were history and the words were autobiography... it's a subjective book .

Yes, but wouldn't it be nicer if the facts quoted were correct.
This brings me back to my usual bleat about the lack of publishers' editors these days: it was their task, inter alia, to make sure that the facts were correct (and consistent) and to get the author to rewrite any passage that depended on an incorrect version.

#2503 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 22:24

A promotional leaflet arrived the other day advising the Maurice Louche, (Emotion Ferrari) is issuing a heavily revised edition of his original work on the history of the Mont Ventoux hillclimb from 1902 to 1976. Publication date, he tells me, is early 2008. The original was issued in 1984 and is long out of print. The new work will feature some 850 photos, many revised and edited, plus new ones, b./w and colour.

A further revision in a couple of years will see a new copy of his work on the Tour de France Auto, again out of print since the 1987 original. His other works remain available, see
www.editionsmauricelouche.com

Usual disclaimers.

-----

In a box of old programmes etc which arrived recently, I found a delightful US book from 1951, I think;
Sports Cars and Hot rods, a Fawcett book at 75cents.
Period write ups on how to hop up your car, supercharging, reviews of current sports cars, mostly British, but also European, plus road racing. It features US cars such as the Crosley , the Edwards, the Fitch and the Muntz Jet, and from mexico, the Nacional.

There is even a profile of the Cooper 2 seat road sports and the very seldom mentioned Triumph Bullet, post 1800 and pre TR2. I used to know the chap who had both the prototypes.

Is this little book a one-off or was it part of an annual series?. It is brilliant, at 143 pages it is like a compendium of different magazines, nothing like it today, I suspect.

Roger Lund.

#2504 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 22:56

Roger, There was a steady stream of such books by Fawcett -- and others -- during that period which are, as you suggested, quite delightful to read and look at. As whether it was a one-off or a series, probably the former -- but with similar books later being produced, often by the same team. There were many other topics covered in books similar to the one you mention -- photography, sports, aviation and rocketry, you name it, there was probably one of these books one it at the newsstand. The only problem at the time, the mid/late-50s, was that 75 cents was a LOT of money....

#2505 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,510 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 23:00

I've seen these early 50s Fawcett books turn up on eBay from time to time - never bought one though!

#2506 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 23:39

I have two or three such 75-centers in storage, including one I bought in the day (three gallons of gas worth) and preserved by making a cover from developed-but-unexposed nine-inch-wide aerial camera film. Even at the lotta-money price they were a good content- and enjoyment-dense value. I think Tom McCahill (or maybe Ken Purdy) did one of them, "What's A Sports Car?" theme. I'd recommend consuming at least one.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA USA

#2507 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,437 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:15

Which, of course, brings to mind the Trend Books of the mid '50s. I bought a few of them and still have them: World Wide Automotive Yearbook, Sports Cars of the World, etc. As Don says, 75 cents was big money to a grade school kid, but the books possessed a wealth of information. Well worth it back then.
Tom

#2508 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:55

"Biographie romancée de Camille Crespin du Gast" :
http://www.ejw.fr/
or
http://www.amazon.fr...2/dp/2848230711

#2509 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 20:12

I did a search and did not find a reference to David Charters book "The Chequered Past: Sports Car Racing and Rallying in Canada, 1951 - 1991 "

Recently released by U of T Press

http://www.utppublis...pid=8831&step=4

Editorial Reviews

Review

“[A thoroughly fascinating and enjoyable book that looks at ordinary enthusiasts as well as the heroes of the sport … For anybody with an interest in Canadian motorsport, it’s a must read.”

-Bob English, Globe and Mail

Book Description

In the forty year period between 1951 and 1991, Canadian sports car competition underwent a massive change, transforming itself from an amateur recreational pastime to a commercialized profession and from an individual sport to a spectacle for mass consumption. The Chequered Past is the story of the struggle over power and purpose within Canadian auto sport that led to this transformation.

The first comprehensive history of sports car racing and rallying in Canada, The Chequered Past traces the efforts of the national governing body – the Canadian Auto Sport Clubs (CASC) – to bring Canadian sports car competition up to a ‘world class’ level, and to manage the consequences of those efforts in the second half of the twentieth century. David Charters traces the social origins of the sport in post-war Canada and the major trends that shaped it thereafter: professionalism, technological change, rising costs, and the influence of commercial sponsors. Charters argues that while early enthusiasts set the sport on a course toward professionalism that would eventually produce world class Canadian events and racers, that course would also ultimately change the purpose of the sport: from personal recreation to mass entertainment. As technological innovations drove up the costs of competing at the top ranks, racers were forced to rely on sponsors, who commercialized and ultimately gained control of the sport. The end result, Charters argues, was the marginalization of the amateur competitor and of the CASC itself.

Based on extensive research into the CASC’s records and dozens of interviews with former competitors and officials, The Chequered Past opens a window into the rich but virtually unknown history of auto sport in Canada, and claims for it a place in Canadian sports history.

#2510 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 19:18

My copy of Martin Buckley's Palawan publication of the story of Facel Vega arrived last Friday. Time has meant that I have only been able to dip into it and look through the photographs. To me it seems an excellent work, well researched and well written, which Buckley can do to a high standard when not writing his motor-trade-fringe-column in C&SC, or however he would class it.

Perhaps a book not on everyone's list or a marque to their taste, just as every book is regarded subjectively, but a fine work IMHO

Roger Lund.

#2511 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 20:13

Originally posted by Peter Darley
The main consignment of my book, "Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus", has now arrived in England and should be in the shops the first week in May.

I would like to say "thank you " to those of you who have waited, and hope you think the wait was worth it.

I now have a copy and I must say that found it quite fascinating. It gives a view of a life that is now, alas, long gone. I have enjoyed it very much. The pictures are excellent and the subjects always interesting. Between it and the Cahier book, I have been spending a considerable amount of time just looking and thinking of late, when I really should be writing. I am delighted I now have a copy. It is not just another "pretty picture book," although it is indeed wonderful to just flip through the pictures.

#2512 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,275 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 17:58

Not seen this particular query raised before, but this seems to be the best place to raise it. Is there any way of getting rid of or reducing the smell from a book previously owned by a heavy smoker? I've just paid quite a lot for a book from a well known dealer. He was honest enough to warn me that it ponged a bit, but it smells as if the previous owner was someone with an 80 a day Gitanes or Gauloise habit, and it's a bit overpowering to a non-smoker. Any suggestions other than leaving the book open and turning a page or two every day? And a supplementary question, is there any significant difference between a first edition and the later reprint of Chris Nixon's 'Racing the Silver Arrows'? The reason I ask is because a good copy of the original goes for at least twice the price of the reprint. The original is clearly much more desirable, but why?

#2513 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,510 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 18:47

Originally posted by kayemod
Not seen this particular query raised before, but this seems to be the best place to raise it. Is there any way of getting rid of or reducing the smell from a book previously owned by a heavy smoker? I've just paid quite a lot for a book from a well known dealer. He was honest enough to warn me that it ponged a bit, but it smells as if the previous owner was someone with an 80 a day Gitanes or Gauloise habit, and it's a bit overpowering to a non-smoker. Any suggestions other than leaving the book open and turning a page or two every day?

This site suggests using the same methods as for removing must:

http://www.litterasc...nia/clean.shtml

Over time, the smell will gradually go of its own accord, but any staining won't. My copy of "Georges Roesch & the Invincible Talbots" must have originally been owned by a pipe smoker ("Aaaah .... St Bruno!!) but after a year or so in a smoke-free environment only the brown staining remained.

Originally posted by kayemod
And a supplementary question, is there any significant difference between a first edition and the later reprint of Chris Nixon's 'Racing the Silver Arrows'? The reason I ask is because a good copy of the original goes for at least twice the price of the reprint. The original is clearly much more desirable, but why?

No real reason AFAIK. First edition was published by Osprey and has a different dust jacket to the subsequent Transport Bookman reprints. The latter may now be more numerous, I suppose, but the text and illustrations are identical although I think the Osprey edition might have been on slightly better quality paper.

#2514 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 20:38

:smoking: Being a pipesmpker I have no problems with that , but have had experience with diverse materials including books from clammy cellar.! And I found only one way to speed up a "better" smell , "out in the sunny fresh air".

#2515 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,275 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 20:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2

This site suggests using the same methods as for removing must:

http://www.litterasc...nia/clean.shtml

Thanks for that suggestion Vitesse, some really useful info on previously-owned book restoration on that site.

#2516 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,728 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:40

No real reason AFAIK. First edition was published by Osprey and has a different dust jacket to the subsequent Transport Bookman reprints. The latter may now be more numerous, I suppose, but the text and illustrations are identical although I think the Osprey edition might have been on slightly better quality paper.

There's also of course the Collector Tendency that first editions of anything tend to command a premium. Even something as comparatively mundane as the Rothmans' Football Yearbook has its first edition go for about three times the cost of the second, even though the latter is a lot rarer.

#2517 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 19:46

An old method of removing the smell of tobacco smoke was to place the item in a box with some chopped up orange peel, or with a dish of good quality vinegar. The vinegar route is a good way to remove the lingering memory of a smoker's activities from a room in the house etc. if left overnight

Roger Lund.

#2518 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:41

Originally posted by bradbury west
An old method of removing the smell of tobacco smoke was to place the item in a box with some chopped up orange peel, or with a dish of good quality vinegar. The vinegar route is a good way to remove the lingering memory of a smoker's activities from a room in the house etc. if left overnight

Roger Lund.

Thanks for the info , Roger.........

#2519 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,510 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 19:28

Some time ago, when the first Stirling Moss Scrapbook was published, it was also announced that there would be a Graham Hill Scrapbook.

Finally - it's ready!! :clap: :clap:

http://shop.porteran...T&productid=151

As this one only covers the years up to 1966, here's hoping for a second volume!

Advertisement

#2520 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,083 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 20:27

Some time ago, when the first Stirling Moss Scrapbook was published, it was also announced that there would be a Graham Hill Scrapbook.

As this one only covers the years up to 1966, here's hoping for a second volume!

£23.06 + P&P on Amazon ...
Rob

#2521 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 17:39

Veloce have another 40% off promotion up until Sunday night, the 17th June.
http://www.veloce.co...992830d95ff93e7

Click Browse and scroll down the books and follow the next page.

A good opportunity to top up with some useful titles. BTW their proposed/imminent book on racing Porsches 53 to 75 looks interesting.

Usual disclaimers.
Roger Lund

#2522 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,743 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 21:54

Do we need to quote a reference number, Roger?

#2523 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 23:07

I usually just ring and place the order, quoting the special offer deal. Delivery is v prompt and well presented.

RL

#2524 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 00:40

From and email received today: " 'til 23:59 on Sunday 17th June. . . To claim the 40% discount* simply quote WP117 by phone or online. . ."

#2525 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,637 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:23

Check on the Bonhams website for the Books and Memorabilia sale at Goodwood FoS next week, (cannot get the page to link) especially from lots 11 to 20, and in addition to the single volume Lots there are some gems in among the mixed parcels, Pomeroy, LJK Setright etc, plus a copy of Mr Weguelin's ERA volume selling alone at Lot 19, and Joel Finn's Birdcage at 20. In Lot 1 there is a copy of Graham Vercoe's Golden era of NZ Motor Racing

usual disclaimers

Roger Lund

#2526 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 20:20

The books I left Indy with:

Ferrari's Drivers by Michele Fenu - year published '80
The Story of A World Champion, Jochen Rindt by Heinz Pruller with Jochen Rindt - year published '70
Life In The Fast Lane, An Autoboigraphy by Alain Prost - year published '88
Juan Manuel Fangio, World Champion by Gunther Molter - year published '56
Life At The Limit by Graham Hill - year published '69
Stirling Moss - My Cars, My Career by Stirling Moss with Doug Nye - years published '87/'99 mine '99
Autocourse 38th year of Publication 88/89 Senna's First Championship! :smoking:
Limited Edition - Jim Clark, Life at Team Lotus by Peter Darley - year published '07

Just shy of $600 spent.

#2527 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 22:57

Ivan, can you lend me 50 cents? :D

#2528 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:40

Brothers Rodriguez (English) update: Release date Sept. 1, 2007, from Haynes.

Jack

#2529 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:18

Now that one is a MUST HAVE for me! :clap:

#2530 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:19

fantastic news

I've a lot of haynes labels on my shelves now - good for them, good for me

#2531 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 19:18

A little off topic.

The Pedro Rodriquez 1960 Rytune Formula JR is being prepared for some track time at the Mission Raceways in British Columbia this coming August.

Posted Image

#2532 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 00:37

Southern California Event at a new location--2007 Automotive Literature Faire
The Society of Automotive Historians (SoCal Chapter) will present the 25th annual Literature Faire on Sunday, June 24 outside the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum (Fairplex Gate 1) 1101 West McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA.

Auto writers, historians and restorers will sell materials from their research libraries: out-of-print books, manuals, pins, badges, models, posters, programs, catalogs, photos, sales brochures and memorabilia.

I will have a few good books at booth #70. No admission fee is charged for the Lit Faire (open 8am to 3pm) in the parking lot. The Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum itself will still be charging $6 to enter.

#2533 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 18:58

Originally posted by green-blood
fantastic news

I've a lot of haynes labels on my shelves now -

me too . good stuff at a good price, talking of Haynes book ,does someone already have the latest Pritchard on the mille miglia??

#2534 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,275 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 19:42

Originally posted by philippe charuest
.......... does someone already have the latest Pritchard on the mille miglia??

Not yet but I was tempted by a copy I saw on one of the stands at Goodwood. The copy on display was sealed, but they found me an under the counter example to look at when I asked. Didn't have a chance to read much of the text, but the pictures are good.

#2535 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:44

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

Grand Prix Data Book by David Hayhoe and David Holland (Duke) seems to do a reasonable job if it is only statisics that interest you. The only one I have is the 1997 edition but there is now a new version covering to 2005.

Personally I find that books covering a single year are more interesting ans give much more detail, Autocourse for example.

Rob

I have the 2005 version of "Grand Prix Data Book". It's a good one-top shop for statistics, but can be a bit "dry", particularly with the dearth of photographs.

#2536 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:12

:wave: The fact remains that there is no "complete" book of F1 with results, driver , car ,engine AND team !

#2537 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:44

The fact remains that there is no "complete" book of F1 with results, driver , car ,engine AND team !

Okay.......

#2538 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 20:01

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
:wave: The fact remains that there is no "complete" book of F1 with results, driver , car ,engine AND team !

You are probably correct. Perhaps the definitive statistical record has yet to be written - someone may see a gap in the market and deliver the goods.

#2539 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 21:05

:wave: For many years a lot of private teams filled up the grids in a colourfull and often spicy manner , mostly with year old cars but still ......some even had good successes , others less , and many none , but do you remember them all , the teams ? And if you take the years 70s and 80s
I cannot remember all those private Brabham team , and when I see a result it would be very nice exactly to know the TEAM name !This I have not found in any compilations yet , and certainly none wich contains the natural DRIVER /NAT./CAR/TYPE/ENGINE . Many books are very good on this but why leave out an important thing. Shouldnt a "complete" book be able to show the results!?

But thanks for accepting my facts , as I dont remember to have felt that earlier on this thread when "it was up"!

Advertisement

#2540 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,510 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 21:55

Received today.

Wow!

I've only had a chance for a quick look through the first few years, but it more than lives up to its promise. It's tied around quotes from "Life at the Limit", but there are many comments from Bette and other relations and friends. Some familiar pictures, but many I hadn't seen before. Lots of press cuttings and all sorts of other memorabilia.

And unless I'm very much mistaken, they've used my scan of the Universal Motor Club advert ;) :blush:

#2541 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:25

Found this site that may be of interest to book collectors.

http://www.icfah.org/homepage.htm

The most interesting part for me is the list of book shops around the world, to use for tracking down elusive titles in foreign languages.

Hope it's useful to someone.

Rob

#2542 Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes

• 375 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 23:14

You'll have to excuse me if this has been already answered - I have used the search facility but couldn't find a related answer.

I've just managed to buy a special edition of Mike Lang's Grand Prix! books, which combines the first two editions under one cover. I'm pretty pleased as I managed to get it for £40, which seemed a good price given how scarce they are and how highly they are regarded.

My question is, was there/is there a fifth edition in the works? I very much enjoyed the fourth book (years 1981 - 1984) and found it incredibly useful to entertain/outwit fellow F1 enthusiasts when chatting about some obscure points in local pubs ;).

#2543 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 19:44

To the best of my knowledge, the series stopped at 1984. I have all of them, and bought mine in three separate parts, 1950-1973, 1974-1980 and 1981-1984.

They are wonderful books, and have a very "homely" and intimate feel due to Mike Lang's undoubted passion and enthusiasm for his subject. Rather than just relating the facts and figures and major incidents, Lang delves beneath the surface, conveying some of the atmosphere of Grand Prix racing in the various eras, and the more humorous episodes, some of them quite obscure.

The one thing that struck me reading the books was how informal GP racing was up until the mid-70s, and as you progress you can sense the hand of Mr Ecclestone taking control. Even in 1973-74, it seemed that practice never started on time!!

#2544 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 20:36

Originally posted by Matt Hughes
You'll have to excuse me if this has been already answered - I have used the search facility but couldn't find a related answer.

I've just managed to buy a special edition of Mike Lang's Grand Prix! books, which combines the first two editions under one cover. I'm pretty pleased as I managed to get it for £40, which seemed a good price given how scarce they are and how highly they are regarded.

My question is, was there/is there a fifth edition in the works? I very much enjoyed the fourth book (years 1981 - 1984) and found it incredibly useful to entertain/outwit fellow F1 enthusiasts when chatting about some obscure points in local pubs ;).

I've heard from a couple of sources that Mike fell very ill after completing the 1981-1984 volume (which I think came out about 91 or 92?) and couldn't continue. A great pity as the production values had risen from utilitarian to quite handsome and the content was as good as Vols 1-3.

(Actually, it was the gap between Mike's last book and the original start of my Autocourse collection that started me going backwards and picking up 'old' Autocourses!)

Chris Ellard's Forgotten Races on non-championship F1 very much takes Mike's form and style and applies it to another area of racing - Chris explicitly acknowledged Mike as an influence (.....and where's Long-Forgotten Races...?). It's not hard to think of Janos Wimpffen's monumental Time and Two Seats as being in a similar but slightly stat-richer vein too.

#2545 Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes

• 375 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 20:57

Thank you for both your responses - I have some book hunting to do!

Sad news about Mr Lang :(. Hopefully he is now enjoying better health.

#2546 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 20:23

I'd always wondered why the series stopped at 1984. Best wishes to Mike Lang.

#2547 CNE

CNE

• 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:27

I was in contact with Mike Lang last year and I am pleased to report that he is fine and well living in semi-retirement down in Newton Abbot (Devon).

Mike kindly sent me a press cutting of an interview he gave to his local paper when the first of the Grand Prix!! books came out. It is a insightful piece that went into some detail about how he found a publisher. Apparently local firm David and Charles were his first choice but because they could not find a European publisher (to help share the costs) they backed out. His manuscript was not returned for another 18 months, mind. He then approached Haynes and, of course, the rest is history.

If anybody wants me to post the article in full I will happily do so.

As far as I can gather the books stopped with 1981-1984 for a number of personal and work related reasons, one of which has been touched on earlier in this thread.

Whilst on the subject of books I must give a huge thumbs up to Carlos Jalife and his team for their work in getting 'Los Hermanos Rodriguez into print. Carlos very kindly sent me a copy of the Spanish version of the book earlier in the year (through the kind offices of Chris van de Wiele) and I have to say it really is an utterly stunning piece of work.

I do speak a bit of Spanish so was able to work my way (slowly) through the text and I have to say it reads very well. Excellent selection of colour and black & white images. I stopped counting when I got up to 2,000 but according to Carlos there are many more he could have included. Heavens above. Anyway a great job and a fine tribute to the memory of the Rodriguez boys.

I gather that Haynes are planning on publishing an English translation later this year. All I can say is it's an absolute must. Be warned though it weighs about 5kg so you'll need a very strong book case!!

Chris

#2548 Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes

• 375 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 15:19

Thanks for the information CNE - that press cutting sounds fascinating, so I would very much appreciate having a look :).

Meanwhile, my search for 'The Forgotten Races' has ground to a halt due to there being absolutely no sign of it! Obviously the run of copies that were printed are very highly valued by their owners ;).

#2549 CNE

CNE

• 28 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 16:26

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt Hughes
Thanks for the information CNE - that press cutting sounds fascinating, so I would very much appreciate having a look :).

The taxman who is all for a quick getaway ... (he's an expert on Grand Prix racing)

Twelve years ago Mike Lang turned up at Silverstone to watch the British GP. He has no interest in motor racing but three friends were going so he tagged along too. This year (1981) he went back to Silverstone to launch his first book. Called simply Grand Prix! it means he is now the country's authority on the history of the world driver's championship.

Talking about that first motor race, Mike 33, said 'It was just something to do. But once I was there I caught the bug.' Mike was born at Newton Abbot, left school at 16 and joined the Inland Revenue. The job has taken him around the country but now he is back in Devon living at Liverton.

Eighteen months after his first brush with the sport Mike decided he wanted to be a racing driver and enrolled on a £ 200 course at Brands Hatch. First he drove round the circuit in a standard saloon with an instructer at his side checking his ordinary driving technique.

He joined a classroom session with the other - would be world champions - where they were shown the theory of racing, then it was out on track in a single-seat Formula Ford. Mike spent the next season driving one of the school's rent-a-drive cars at £ 45 a time in a number of Formula Ford races.

But his racing career ended as so many end. Without experience it is almost impossible to get a works drive, and without a private income it is difficult to get the experience.

But the disappointment did not dim his enthusiasm for the sport. He already had a healthy collection of books and magazines but he could not find a volume which concentrated on the history of the world championship. So he decided to write such a book.

Mike spent four years collecting and reading research material and began the tortue at the typewriter in 1976. He wrote to several publishers about the project and send a specimen chapter to the one that expressed the most interest, David & Charles of Newton Abbot.

They returned the manuscript after 18 months. 'It was a terrible blow. I thought it was the end of the book. David & Charles had apparently been trying to get a European publisher interested to help share the costs but it didn't work out. But I had confidence in the book so I kept writing up to 40 hours a week.'

At the end of 1978 he wrote to Haynes of Sparkford, Somerset, a firm better known for their authorative workhop manuals than the 300 books on their general list. They took the book.

It has involved an enormous amount of research. Grand Prix! reports on every Formula One race from 1950 to 1965, which counted for the world championship. All the facts - starting grids, results, retirements - are there together with a plethora of pictures and an eminently readable commentary.

At the back of the book the appendices details the drivers' individual results throughout the period, maunfacturers' wins and a host of other data to delight the enthusiast. Mike persuaded Stirling Moss to write an introduction and Colin Edgecombe, who lives in Torquay, to draw the circuit diagrams.

Five thousand copies were printed and since the book was published at the British GP in July sales, says Mike, have been good.

Haynes took it to the Frankfurt Book Fair last month and several publishers expressed an interest in translating it for fans on the Continent.

Mike has just finished part two, 1966 - 1973, which will be published next year and he plans to bring the championship up to date with a third volume.

(taken from the Sunday Independent. Article written by Keith Richmond)

There you go, Matt.

Sorry can't help you viz-a-viz Forgotten Races. Have you tried ebay? Simon Lewis was selling a copy on there not too long ago.

Chris

#2550 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 21:04

Originally posted by CNE

I was in contact with Mike Lang last year and I am pleased to report that he is fine and well living in semi-retirement down in Newton Abbot (Devon).

Excellent news, thanks for this update Chris.