Jump to content


Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon


  • Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#2551 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer
  • Member

  • 3,626 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 06 July 2007 - 16:36

:wave: the book ABARTH , the , the machines ,has a front cover showing a smaller picture of an Abarth 2000 S . It looks to me that behind the car is a transporter ? Can anyone tell me if that is so , please?

Advertisement

#2552 mark f1

mark f1
  • Member

  • 1,963 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 06 July 2007 - 21:39

'F1 - The Opus' was released today at the British GP. Monster book of 850 pages, 35kg!!!

Here's the website for it. F1 - The Opus

Yours for 3,000 GBP.....20,000 GBP for the Champions edition.

Might have to get a couple... :drunk:

#2553 PRD

PRD
  • Member

  • 321 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 06 July 2007 - 22:04

Originally posted by mark f1
'F1 - The Opus' was released today at the British GP. Monster book of 850 pages, 35kg!!!

Here's the website for it. F1 - The Opus

Yours for 3,000 GBP.....20,000 GBP for the Champions edition.

Might have to get a couple... :drunk:



That really is silly money :eek:

#2554 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,895 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 06 July 2007 - 22:48

I truly mean no disrespect to Mr. Ecclestone and his organization, but, seriously, are they having a laugh?

What would anyone want with a two metre wide gatefold of images of Bernie's face?

It would be interesting to know how many of the basic 'cheap' books have been printed. Only 100 of the £20,000 jobbies. Watch Ebay...... :)

#2555 kayemod

kayemod
  • Member

  • 7,276 posts
  • Joined: August 05

Posted 06 July 2007 - 22:55

Originally posted by Barry Boor


What would anyone want with a two metre wide gatefold of images of Bernie's face?


Not such a surprise really, just a case of "Never mind the quality, feel the width".

In fact, very much in line with what Bernie & Co have turned F1 racing into these days.

#2556 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 07 July 2007 - 14:18

Yet another sign of the Apocalypse....

#2557 PRD

PRD
  • Member

  • 321 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 07 July 2007 - 14:26

On a brighter note, some good stuff here :)

http://www.bullpublishing.com/

#2558 Hieronymus

Hieronymus
  • Member

  • 2,031 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 07 July 2007 - 14:52

Yes, David Bull's books are always good...

...about F1 - THE OPUS. I can also say "Bull", but shall add sh*t" to it. Someone that wish to cash in on this, borders on the brink of being a criminal. Just think how many hungry people you can feed with 3000 GBP.

#2559 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,182 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 07 July 2007 - 16:05

F1 - THE OPUS will not really appeal to genuine enthusiasts, anyway. It will be purchased by the unwary and recently initiated F1 fan with money to burn, and I anticipate that its content will pander to the "lowest common denominator".

Advertisement

#2560 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 07 July 2007 - 18:05

You're not wrong about the latest David Bull offerings - excellent as the Wimpffen (although how many pics of 935s will it be groaning under!) and Zimmermann/Gurney look to be, it's the Peter Bryant book that looks to be most fascinating! Three must-buys, I think.

#2561 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 07 July 2007 - 18:07

Originally posted by Hieronymus
Yes, David Bull's books are always good...

...about F1 - THE OPUS. I can also say "Bull", but shall add sh*t" to it. Someone that wish to cash in on this, borders on the brink of being a criminal. Just think how many hungry people you can feed with 3000 GBP.


Where's Anorak Man when you need him? His splenetic rants against Palawan were always entertaining ;)

(That said, I saw the Man Utd Opus in a duty-free shop at Heathrow a couple of months ago and it's clearly not intended for readers - it's designed to be bought, sat in a corner and sold at a profit.) (Disclaimer: I don't like that particular team, but even if I did I doubt I'd pay thousands for the book...)

#2562 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 07 July 2007 - 18:27

Originally posted by petefenelon


Where's Anorak Man when you need him?


Indeed. What became of him?

Jack

#2563 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,521 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 07 July 2007 - 19:35

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad


Indeed. What became of him?

Jack

Threw his toys out of his pram and ran away .... but not without deleting a lot of his posts. :rolleyes:

#2564 Alan Cox

Alan Cox
  • Member

  • 7,750 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 08 July 2007 - 18:58

Re: F1 The Opus. Interesting to note that the website - clever and impressive as it is - is silent on the matter of who the authors are.

I recognise a lot of the classic photographs which they have used, but it would be nice to know which authorities have contributed the text. I don't suppose it really matters though, as anyone who buys it will presumably want to make a fast buck and not spoil it by turning the pages. It makes Palawan prices look to be something of a bargain (speaking as a proud owner of two of their offerings..).

#2565 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,521 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 July 2007 - 19:20

Alan: if you click on the "content" link on the left, a further link to contributors appears at the top. They include Jane Nottage (oh well, can't have everything ....), David Tremayne, Adam Cooper, Andrew Benson, Mathias Brunner, Alan Henry, Maurice Hamilton .....

#2566 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 08 July 2007 - 19:23

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Re: F1 The Opus. Interesting to note that the website - clever and impressive as it is - is silent on the matter of who the authors are.

I recognise a lot of the classic photographs which they have used, but it would be nice to know which authorities have contributed the text. I don't suppose it really matters though, as anyone who buys it will presumably want to make a fast buck and not spoil it by turning the pages. It makes Palawan prices look to be something of a bargain (speaking as a proud owner of two of their offerings..).


If you wade through all the Flash on the f1opus.com side (I wouldn't bother) you get the following:


Exec editor: Jane Nottage
Editor: David Tremayne
Chief Photographer: Darren Heath
Contributors: Andrew Benson, Matthias Brunner, Tom Clarkson, Bob Constanduros, Adam Cooper, Gerry Donaldson, Kevin Garside, Mo Hamilton, Alan Henry, Mark Hughes, Sabine Kehm, Bob Mckenzie, Graham Read, Nigel Roebuck, Anthony Rowlinson, Patricia Soler, Joe Saward, Michael Schmidt, Richard Williams, Helmut Zwickl.

Nottage I've never rated, and I don't think Alan Henry has written anything of note in 20 years, but DJT, Constanduros, Cooper, Donaldson, Hamilton, Hughes, Roebuck (as long as his contributions are confined to pre-1990), Saward and Williams is a pretty good lineup.

it looks rather like Nottage has rounded up a mix of Haymarket victims and the British dailies, plus assorted other help.

I might buy the book at 50 quid. But not at the frankly stupid price they want for it.

#2567 Hieronymus

Hieronymus
  • Member

  • 2,031 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 08 July 2007 - 19:36

Originally posted by Alan Cox
It makes Palawan prices look to be something of a bargain (speaking as a proud owner of two of their offerings..).


Hey, chaps, help me here. What is "Palawan prices"? I see you mention it in the last few posts. I've never heard of this word before.

Re. F1 - The Opus. Now knowing the contributors, I wonder if the book will offer new stuff by these writers or will it be "cut and paste" affairs of articles they wrote in the past.

Weighing in at 35kg, I guess you get a free fork-lifter if you buy the book or at least insurance against hernia injury?

#2568 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 08 July 2007 - 19:42

When it doubt, try google :lol:
http://www.palawan.co.uk/

#2569 Hieronymus

Hieronymus
  • Member

  • 2,031 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 08 July 2007 - 19:57

Thanks, I've learned something today. I tried google, but they made reference of a Philippine Island...must look further than page 1, I guess.

#2570 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 08 July 2007 - 20:01

Originally posted by Hieronymus


Hey, chaps, help me here. What is "Palawan prices"? I see you mention it in the last few posts. I've never heard of this word before.

Re. F1 - The Opus. Now knowing the contributors, I wonder if the book will offer new stuff by these writers or will it be "cut and paste" affairs of articles they wrote in the past.

Weighing in at 35kg, I guess you get a free fork-lifter if you buy the book or at least insurance against hernia injury?


Palawan publish (mostly automotive) books that are truly gorgeous. The 'cooking' editions of some of them are just about affordable (just this side of a hundred quid for some of them) but the luxury and limited editions go up to astronomical prices.

I own a couple of Palawans (LJK Setright's Drive On and Klemantaski Himself). If I had unlimited funds, 1946 And All That, Dick and George and Sixties Motor Racing would be on my shelves. The production values and quality of texts make them worth the price - it's just that the price is steep. But you're getting something truly lovely.

#2571 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,521 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 July 2007 - 20:10

Originally posted by Hieronymus
Thanks, I've learned something today. I tried google, but they made reference of a Philippine Island...must look further than page 1, I guess.

You were almost there Marius. The company is named after the Palawan pheasant, which lives on said island. This is one:

Posted Image

Grumpy looking thing .... :lol:

#2572 pilota

pilota
  • Member

  • 200 posts
  • Joined: July 05

Posted 08 July 2007 - 20:29

Gents
I don't think F1 Opus and other expensive books are aimed it fans such as yourselves. I doubt if you would find anything new and enlightening in it, and some of the photos would seem familiar.
But there are less knowledgeable fans who have more money than most of us. For them to own a Ferrari, a Bugatti Veyron, a £20,000 wristwatch, a £xmillion penthouse is not a ‘big deal’. And a £3000 ‘piece of art’(?) with (possible) investment value is easily affordable.
I guess that even if it was at a price that was related to the actual production costs then most of you still wouldn’t buy it. It wouldn’t tell you much that you don’t already know.
Nathan

#2573 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 08 July 2007 - 21:11

Originally posted by petefenelon


Palawan publish (mostly automotive) books that are truly gorgeous. The 'cooking' editions of some of them are just about affordable (just this side of a hundred quid for some of them) but the luxury and limited editions go up to astronomical prices.

I own a couple of Palawans (LJK Setright's Drive On and Klemantaski Himself). If I had unlimited funds, 1946 And All That, Dick and George and Sixties Motor Racing would be on my shelves. The production values and quality of texts make them worth the price - it's just that the price is steep. But you're getting something truly lovely.


I have a few Palawans myself, including both of Setright's titles plus Ferrari in Camera , a huge splash-out for me, but a stunning and ultimately very satisfying book. I'm glad there's a publisher willing to take financial risks for these kinds of books, even if I will never own most of them.

Jack

#2574 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,641 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:51

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vitesse2 You were almost there Marius. The company is named after the Palawan pheasant, which lives on said island.

And of course, Simon Draper, Mr Palawan, has published an exquisite book among the earlier issues, on the rare pheasant breeds from around the world with equally magnificent art-prints of these creatures. IIRC he keeps a fine collection of pheasants on his Sussex estate.

All of the books, IMHO, are glorious publications written by recognised experts in their subjects. As previous posts say, they are top quality products and it is laudable that there are people who will put out material of this quality. As with all products, views are subjective, and you do have the option not to buy.

Roger Lund.
A satisfied customer

PS Roll on the DCN/Phil Hill photo-history book

#2575 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:08

Originally posted by bradbury west
As with all products .... you do have the option not to buy

The point is however that many of us don't have the option to buy :cry:

#2576 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,745 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:19

Originally posted by petefenelon

(That said, I saw the Man Utd Opus in a duty-free shop at Heathrow a couple of months ago and it's clearly not intended for readers - it's designed to be bought, sat in a corner and sold at a profit.) (Disclaimer: I don't like that particular team, but even if I did I doubt I'd pay thousands for the book...)

The first of those items was a book called GOAT - Greatest Of All Time - about Muhammad Ali. The publishers are aiming at the high-rollers. There are a surprising amount of really, really stupid rich people.

I read somewhere that Palawan Books actually make a loss, on the basis they spend so much sourcing the best quality materials and best authors. The chap behind it was one of the original shareholders in Virgin, along with Branson, so worth a few bob.

#2577 ian senior

ian senior
  • Member

  • 2,142 posts
  • Joined: September 02

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:54

Originally posted by mark f1
'F1 - The Opus' was released today at the British GP. Monster book of 850 pages, 35kg!!!

Here's the website for it. F1 - The Opus

Yours for 3,000 GBP.....20,000 GBP for the Champions edition.

Might have to get a couple... :drunk:


The website provoked a certain amount of mirth when I had a look. Good to see the importance they attach to the investment potential of what is, after all, just a book. Not so good to see a shot of Fulvia Bimotore as one of the first snapshots.

#2578 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 09 July 2007 - 16:34

Originally posted by bradbury west


PS Roll on the DCN/Phil Hill photo-history book [/B]



Soon, please!

Jack

#2579 Doug Nye

Doug Nye
  • Member

  • 8,484 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 09 July 2007 - 21:52

...many of us will recall when the Jaguar XJ220 and the Yamaha wotever were both tipped as instant supercars, tremendous investment opportunities...

Don't marketing men just make you want to...heeeeuuuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhh!

DCN :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#2580 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 09 July 2007 - 22:11

Roger,

I think he's ignoring us......;)

Jack

#2581 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 09 July 2007 - 22:14

Originally posted by Doug Nye
...many of us will recall when the Jaguar XJ220 and the Yamaha wotever were both tipped as instant supercars, tremendous investment opportunities...

Don't marketing men just make you want to...heeeeuuuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhh!

DCN :rolleyes:


However distasteful marketing people are, they're infinitely preferable to the human trouser limpets infesting Human Resources. Or whatever Personnel calls itself these days. I'm aware of one company that calls it 'Leadership and Change Management' these days. The bulls**t never stops....

#2582 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,521 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 09 July 2007 - 23:30

Originally posted by petefenelon


However distasteful marketing people are, they're infinitely preferable to the human trouser limpets infesting Human Resources. Or whatever Personnel calls itself these days. I'm aware of one company that calls it 'Leadership and Change Management' these days. The bulls**t never stops....

:up:

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

I think he's ignoring us......

Some of us are waiting for BRM Vol 3.

Wait your bloody turn!! :p

#2583 Alan Cox

Alan Cox
  • Member

  • 7,750 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:00

Originally posted by ensign14
The chap behind it was one of the original shareholders in Virgin, along with Branson, so worth a few bob.



Indeed he was/is. Simon Draper is Branson's cousin and had the definitive Aston Martin collection (Ulster, DB3S, DBR1, DBR2, DBR4, DB4GT Zagato, Project 214 etc, etc.. - hence the various Aston titles in the Palawan repertoire. (He used to race them extensively in European historics but appears to have retired from the tracks in recent years).

#2584 ian senior

ian senior
  • Member

  • 2,142 posts
  • Joined: September 02

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:17

Originally posted by Doug Nye
...many of us will recall when the Jaguar XJ220 and the Yamaha wotever were both tipped as instant supercars, tremendous investment opportunities..

DCN :rolleyes:


The same thing applies lower down the scale. I once saw a letter in Autocar from an enraged individual who was furious that Renault had introduced the Clio Williams 2, thereby instantly devaluing his investment in an original Clio Williams.

#2585 fuzzi

fuzzi
  • Member

  • 488 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:20

Originally posted by Alan Cox


Indeed he was/is. Simon Draper is Branson's cousin and had the definitive Aston Martin collection (Ulster, DB3S, DBR1, DBR2, DBR4, DB4GT Zagato, Project 214 etc, etc.. - hence the various Aston titles in the Palawan repertoire. (He used to race them extensively in European historics but appears to have retired from the tracks in recent years).


Now I believe he's moved on and has a large collection of significant Bristols.

And I'm not going to start with the Bristol jokes....

#2586 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:51

Originally posted by Vitesse2

:up:


Some of us are waiting for BRM Vol 3.


Some booksellers are already advertising it, so perhaps it's out now.

Jack

#2587 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton
  • Member

  • 3,101 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 10 July 2007 - 20:08

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Re: F1 The Opus. Interesting to note that the website - clever and impressive as it is - is silent on the matter of who the authors are.

There is a section on "contributors" which lists a lot of people, most of whom probably mean more to those of you who read modern books and magazines than they do to me.

#2588 MichaelM

MichaelM
  • Member

  • 57 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 12 July 2007 - 16:58

Looks like the next volume in the Stirling Moss Scrapbooks will cover the
years 1929-1954 and is due in September. 160 pages, 400 illustrations.
34.95 pounds. This all from the Chater's website.


Michael

#2589 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer
  • Member

  • 3,626 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 12 July 2007 - 21:08

New book on de Graffenried , 240 pages 300+ pictures ,text in french and english , about £34 from MotorBooks

#2590 green-blood

green-blood
  • Member

  • 706 posts
  • Joined: May 00

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:19

hey I got the info below form a subscription today

http://www.classicdr...00.asp?id=13447

artical on the new Palawan tome on Facel Vega... noice

#2591 paulhooft

paulhooft
  • Member

  • 873 posts
  • Joined: January 01

Posted 13 July 2007 - 15:33

We all need more too expensive books like this Facel Vega one!!
PcH

#2592 philippe charuest

philippe charuest
  • Member

  • 701 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 13 July 2007 - 16:48

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
New book on de Graffenried , 240 pages 300+ pictures ,text in french and english , about £34 from MotorBooks

could be interesting because it will probably focus on the immediate post war years

#2593 Hieronymus

Hieronymus
  • Member

  • 2,031 posts
  • Joined: May 02

Posted 13 July 2007 - 17:23

The book on De Graffenried is called "Toulo de Graffenried - Un seigneur de la course / Lord of Formula One". The author is Pierre Fouquet-Hatevilain. Also at EDITIONS PALMIER for 43 Euro.

#2594 RTH

RTH
  • Member

  • 5,742 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 20 July 2007 - 13:39

Today we hear J.K. Rowling has now made for herself over £550 million pounds from 6 childrens novels. With the seventh and last launched today so no doubt huge profits will continue to pour in for many years yet..

The average author in the UK apparently makes no more than £2000 per book title written

Presumably motor sport authors with a very small pool of buyers may do even below the industry average ?

No accounting for taste obviously !

#2595 green-blood

green-blood
  • Member

  • 706 posts
  • Joined: May 00

Posted 20 July 2007 - 14:33

well I'm fighting the good fight and have my little boy up and running early

Posted Image

#2596 petefenelon

petefenelon
  • Member

  • 4,815 posts
  • Joined: August 02

Posted 20 July 2007 - 19:26

Originally posted by RTH
Today we hear J.K. Rowling has now made for herself over £550 million pounds from 6 childrens novels. With the seventh and last launched today so no doubt huge profits will continue to pour in for many years yet..

The average author in the UK apparently makes no more than £2000 per book title written

Presumably motor sport authors with a very small pool of buyers may do even below the industry average ?

No accounting for taste obviously !


In my experience, Harry Potter seems to mostly be read by, er, middle-aged women who don't get out much and tend to get a bit overheated about the erotic potential of relationships between the young wizards and the more sinister male characters.

Well, who knows. BRM's got lots of good wizards (Tony Rudd, Eric Richter etc), high fantasy (the team's plans to be 'ready' for the start of each formula), some pretty young boys (Peter Collins), and some strange old men who mentor them (Raymond Mays, Big Lou...;)) and the plain sinister (the Berthons);) Maybe it could be the next classic source of slash fiction...;)

I was nearly interested when I discovered Rowling had a character called Bellatrix Lestrange, but I was disappointed to notice that the 'B' wasn't a typo.;)


#2597 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 20 July 2007 - 22:27

Originally posted by petefenelon


I was nearly interested when I discovered Rowling had a character called Bellatrix Lestrange, but I was disappointed to notice that the 'B' wasn't a typo.;)


Oh-my-goodness !


Jack :blush:

#2598 RTH

RTH
  • Member

  • 5,742 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:19

Originally posted by petefenelon


In my experience, Harry Potter seems to mostly be read by, er, middle-aged women who don't get out much and tend to get a bit overheated about the erotic potential of relationships between the young wizards and the more sinister male characters.

Well, who knows. BRM's got lots of good wizards (Tony Rudd, Eric Richter etc), high fantasy (the team's plans to be 'ready' for the start of each formula), some pretty young boys (Peter Collins), and some strange old men who mentor them (Raymond Mays, Big Lou...;)) and the plain sinister (the Berthons);) Maybe it could be the next classic source of slash fiction...;)



I think you might well be on to something here Pete, certainly as you say the ingredients are already there. We just need an author with specialist BRM experience ?? :)

J.K. Rowling has sold (so far ) 320 million copies of these children's books so has earned net an average of £1.70 per book Today "Harry Potter - and the deathly hallows " has a retail cover price of £17.99.

So if the book sales have made her all that money (£550 million ) on just 10 % of the cover price just how much money has been made and by whom from the other 90 % of the sales revenue ?

#2599 Roger Clark

Roger Clark
  • Member

  • 6,082 posts
  • Joined: February 00

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:35

Originally posted by RTH


I think you might well be on to something here Pete, certainly as you say the ingredients are already there. We just need an author with specialist BRM experience ?? :)

J.K. Rowling has sold (so far ) 320 million copies of these children's books so has earned net an average of £1.70 per book Today "Harry Potter - and the deathly hallows " has a retail cover price of £17.99.

So if the book sales have made her all that money (£550 million ) on just 10 % of the cover price just how much money has been made and by whom from the other 90 % of the sales revenue ?

Presumably she also made some money from selling the film rights.

Advertisement

#2600 RTH

RTH
  • Member

  • 5,742 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:12

Yes it is quite unbelievable Roger.

How about a motor Racing based sequel ?

............Harry Potter and the 40 F1 team proprietors , perhaps ? ;)