Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:16

"Suburban 100" anybody ???

Advertisement

#2802 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:02

Originally posted by Magee
Racing Sports Cars – Memories of the Fifties by Art Evans, and co-authors Bill Colson and Herb Jones – Photo Data Research, Redondo Beach, California, 2007 – ISBN 0-9705073-9-9, 272 pp –$39.95 (8 1/2 by 11 inch soft-cover book.

[ ... ]

Autographed copies are available from Art Evans, Photo Data Research, 800 S. Pacific Coast Hwy, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 or agevans@yahoo.com

Review by Michael Gee

My copy included an autographed photo of Rodger Ward. Others are available from Art, as a complement to this volume, while supplies last.

It's another that plays directly into my So Cal 50s interest, and will no doubt require frequent re-reads. Good, pertinent photographs, illuminating captions, and some real meat: words of the masters and a few spear-carriers about the cars and the people who made them.

Very much a worthwhile purchase.

--
Frank S

#2803 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 18:11

Not exactly sure why I bought this, The Ford Cosworth DFV: The Inside Story of F1's Greatest Engine, but it seems that it will probably spend far more time sitting on the shelf than in the Research Pile for one of my projects. Generally, pretty underwhelming apart from a tidbit or two. Either that or it could be that we may not need another book on the topic at the moment....

#2804 mcerqueira

mcerqueira

• 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 19:25

Well, I'm feeling quite bummed! Was waiting eagerly for a substancial Amazon order with Wimpfen's "Winged Sports Cars & Enduring Innovation" Autocourse 2006 among other gems and the order never arrived even after I waited about a week after the latest delivery date had passed.

Complained, prompt response with apologies, choose to have new order sent instead of refund (I really want the books of course). Checked the website and the new delivery date is 45 days from now! And all the books are in stock except for one (another bummer, I ordered the last copy available)!! Another e-mail and now the response hasn't been so prompt... Should have taken that refund option on the first place. Been a customer for 10 years, why oh why... :

#2805 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 20:19

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Not exactly sure why I bought this, The Ford Cosworth DFV: The Inside Story of F1's Greatest Engine, but it seems that it will probably spend far more time sitting on the shelf than in the Research Pile for one of my projects. Generally, pretty underwhelming apart from a tidbit or two. Either that or it could be that we may not need another book on the topic at the moment....

Thanks for that, I asked in April if anyone knew anything about this book, I will give it a miss then!

#2806 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 22:04

Originally posted by jph
Amazon are listing no fewer than six Lewis Hamilton 'biographies'

Eight now - well one is an "autobiography" - is this a record?

Lewis Hamilton: A Dream Comes True by Brian Belton
Lewis Hamilton: The Biography by Frank Worrall
Lewis Hamilton: My Story by Lewis Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton: The People's Champion by Bruce Jones
Lewis Hamilton: The Story So Far by Gareth Rogers
Lewis Hamilton: The Story So Far by Mark Hughes
Lewis Hamilton: A Portrait of Britain's New F1 Star by Andrew van de Burgt
Lewis Hamilton: King of the Grid by Ian Stafford

#2807 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 656 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:25

I have just finished "Dan Gurney's Eagle Racing Cars" and I enjoyed the book overall. Good photography and reproduction and good commentary on the cars.

While there is not much that is new on the F1 Eagle effort, the book illuminated much for me on the Eagle Indy and IMSA cars.

The focus is squarely on the cars and the team. Commentary on the races of the Eagles is quite limited.

On the whole, a worthy addition if you are interested in the subject.

#2808 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,168 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 21:43

Sorry Lewis, none of the 6 books about you are on my Xmas list. This will be, if out in time.
Posted Image

#2809 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 22:42

Originally posted by RS2000
Sorry Lewis, none of the 6 books about you are on my Xmas list. This will be, if out in time.
Posted Image

I definitely want this book also! A must for any road rally fans!

#2810 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:42

A few acquisitions this weekend - have not read any of them thoroughly yet.

Art Evans - Racing Sports Cars: Memories of the Fifties - excellent photos and a lot of anecdotal words, this looks to be a great grab-bag of reminiscences and tales.

Christian Naviaux - Championnat D'Europe des Sport-Protos 2 Litres 1970-1975 - the kind of book the British publishers should be encouraging - functional, nicely illustrated with a lot of atmosphere, crisp race reports with full results. Only slightly biased in favour of French cars, engines and drivers ;) Certainly readable with my schoolboy French, and nicely priced. Bjorn will love the pic of Siffert's transporter on the back cover ;)

Paul Parker - Sports Car Racing In Camera 1960-69 - a great selection of pics with very pithy captions and excellent lists of who drove for whom and when. A good complement to Wimpffen's photo volumes or the Automobile Year Book of Sports Car Racing, with a lot of excellent new colour shots. Some very atmospheric pics both on the circuits and around the paddocks. Sensibly priced and very nicely printed.

Not sure I'm 100% enamoured with the new Motor Books shop - Although less grotty, it's possibly not 'finished' yet but there doesn't seem to be quite as much stock on display and it certainly isn't as well organised as it used to be!

Asked about the english edition of the Rodriguez Brothers biography - delayed :(

#2811 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:19

Apologies for folks waiting for Red-Hot Rivals. Haynes got jammed up this summer with various pre-Christmas titles and, with my acquescence, shifted this saga of the Ferrari vs Maserati wars into next Spring. It also turned out to be a bit bigger book than they'd expected.

We're working on the editing now and hope that it will satisfy.

The same applies to my book from Bentley on the early life and work of Ferdinand Porsche. I hope the needed decisions have now been made and that the title will be with us in Springtime. Interest in it can be expressed at http://www.bentleypu...y.htm?code=GPGE.

I see that the planned Nigel Stepney title has been withdrawn....

#2812 karlcars

karlcars

• 603 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:35

Just looking through this thread I want to thank Needforspeed for his remarks on my book about Dan Gurney's racing cars. This was the first book ever published by Motorbooks and as far as I know it's still in print. At least I got a royalty check the other day!

Needforspeed is incorrect in saying that this book was done without Dan's cooperation. I had a lot of help from Dan and his AAR team during visits to the factory, meetings at races etc.

He may be thinking about my Haynes book about Dan the man. Here too I might as well set aside the idea that Dan didn't cooperate. On the contrary, I interviewed him at length about many aspects of his career, in addition to my earlier talks with him. He started to get worried, however, that my book would spoil the market for a work of his own, which he still hoped to produce. That's why he insisted that I say in the introduction that I hadn't interviewed him for the book.

This was only one of the major concessions that Haynes and I made to Dan over the content of this book. Nevertheless he continued to remain unfriendly to it. Recently, however, he referred it to an archive that was looking for good Dan Gurney pictures, so I guess he didn't think it was all bad!

#2813 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:46

Can't imagine anything you have written being' bad ' Karl !

#2814 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,691 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:19

Many thanks for your generous comments petefenelon.

Meanwhile re: Motor Books new premises. This is still a work in progress and will spread next door and into the basement to include trains and military as before.

So be patient and all will be well.

#2815 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 14:56

Originally posted by Paul Parker
Many thanks for your generous comments petefenelon.

Meanwhile re: Motor Books new premises. This is still a work in progress and will spread next door and into the basement to include trains and military as before.

So be patient and all will be well.

Thanks Paul - there was still a lot of banging and clanking going on so I assume next door is being worked on!
(I usually get to Motor Books a couple of times a year at least, there can be no denying it needed a change as the old premises were getting a bit grotty!)

#2816 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:53

Originally posted by KJJ

I'm sure there will be a dozen more by this time next year if he wins the WDC :(

#2817 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:54

Originally posted by karlcars
Apologies for folks waiting for Red-Hot Rivals. Haynes got jammed up this summer with various pre-Christmas titles and, with my acquescence, shifted this saga of the Ferrari vs Maserati wars into next Spring. It also turned out to be a bit bigger book than they'd expected.

We're working on the editing now and hope that it will satisfy.

The same applies to my book from Bentley on the early life and work of Ferdinand Porsche. I hope the needed decisions have now been made and that the title will be with us in Springtime. Interest in it can be expressed at http://www.bentleypu...y.htm?code=GPGE.

I see that the planned Nigel Stepney title has been withdrawn....

Someone could write a book called "Jerks of F1" and include Bernie, Max, Jean the Toad, Ron Denis, Stepney, and many, many others :)

#2818 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 20:53

Originally posted by karlcars
Just looking through this thread I want to thank Needforspeed for his remarks on my book about Dan Gurney's racing cars. This was the first book ever published by Motorbooks and as far as I know it's still in print. At least I got a royalty check the other day!

Needforspeed is incorrect in saying that this book was done without Dan's cooperation. I had a lot of help from Dan and his AAR team during visits to the factory, meetings at races etc.

He may be thinking about my Haynes book about Dan the man. Here too I might as well set aside the idea that Dan didn't cooperate. On the contrary, I interviewed him at length about many aspects of his career, in addition to my earlier talks with him. He started to get worried, however, that my book would spoil the market for a work of his own, which he still hoped to produce. That's why he insisted that I say in the introduction that I hadn't interviewed him for the book.

This was only one of the major concessions that Haynes and I made to Dan over the content of this book. Nevertheless he continued to remain unfriendly to it. Recently, however, he referred it to an archive that was looking for good Dan Gurney pictures, so I guess he didn't think it was all bad!

Thanks and apologizes at the same time, Mr Ludvigsen ;

I have the Haynes Stewart, Mc laren and ..Gurney book too .I appreciate one thing above all on your books : your well documented bibliography and the references where some of your books contends came from .You don 't put forward the interview you could have prior to the redaction with the main person , subject of the book, but there is still a natural approach in the way you select the chapters of a driver career .

I am absolutly convinced Zimmerman put his nose more in your AAR book, than the time he spent on the Eagle factory...Unless if no one wanted to speak to him, at Santa Ana , it s really amazing he could bring back so fews stories ... ):

michel
...somewhere in france ;)

#2819 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 22:01

Originally posted by RS2000
Posted Image

That one is definitely on my list.

Do you know the publishing date?

Advertisement

#2820 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,168 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 15:46

It just says they are working to get it available by Xmas.

#2821 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 19:52

Originally posted by KJJ

I suspect that the Mark Hughes effort will be the most readable of the bunch.

#2822 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 20:23

The Belton one is already available for a fiver from The Book People.

#2823 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,015 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 22:26

Originally posted by ensign14
The Belton one is already available for a fiver from The Book People.

Really? That much ... ?;)

#2824 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:32

Originally posted by COUGAR508
I suspect that the Mark Hughes effort will be the most readable of the bunch.

That's the first time I've ever seen Mark Hughes and the word 'readable' in the same sentence.

#2825 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:02

Tremayne in the Indie basically said wait for Hughes or AvdB. Then again, I think I'll wait till Hamilton's retired.

I'm amazed there's no good Prost biography covering his entire career. Of course Senna has been ill-served...perhaps a version of Mon Ennemi Mate would be the ticket?

#2826 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,138 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:15

Or, for Michael Schumacher, Mon Ennui Mate?

#2827 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 15:38

I'm amazed there's no good Prost biography covering his entire career.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/2847070621

Vince H.

#2828 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 16:26

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003

Vince H.

How good are the 'Formula 1 Legends series? I get the impression that they are competent potboilers erring on the shallow side, rather than being in-depth incisive books.

#2829 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,015 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 16:31

Very diplomatic, Duncan! :lol:

#2830 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,048 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 16:45

Vince H.

#2831 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 16:55

True, but I read somewhere that AP has refused to co-operate with more than one writer who's approached him since his retirement. If true, that's a shame, considering some of the lightweight stuff on lesser persons that never seems to have any problem finding an eager publisher.

#2832 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,223 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 18:01

Originally posted by D-Type
How good are the 'Formula 1 Legends series? I get the impression that they are competent potboilers erring on the shallow side, rather than being in-depth incisive books.

I have the Ascari and Moss ones. They seem good to me. Over 150 pages each, lots of stats, and lots of photos I'd never seen before.

Vince H.

#2833 mcerqueira

mcerqueira

• 150 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 18:46

Does anyone own, know about the books from "Cavalleria" series? They look rather tasty!

Da Corsa.net

#2834 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 18:55

Originally posted by mcerqueira
Does anyone own, know about the books from "Cavalleria" series? They look rather tasty!

Da Corsa.net

They look like interesting books which cover one specific car (plus some additional info on the series),

Judging by the fact the following books have text by Doug Nye, there is at least one member who knows about them. :lol:

Ferrari 500 F2
Ferrari 375 Plus
Ferrari 250 TR 59/60
Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta SWB Competizione
Ferrari 250 GTO
Ferrari 250 LM

#2835 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 20:11

I have the Ascari and Moss ones. They seem good to me. Over 150 pages each, lots of stats, and lots of photos I'd never seen before.

Vince H.

I've got the Niki Lauda version, subtitled "The Rebel". Again, plenty of rare photos, and anecdotes, but not what you could call the "definitive story".

#2836 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:07

There seems to be a real "fire sale" going on at the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Borgeson's "Golden Age of the American Racing Car" for $5, $4 for members

Some other great stuff there - van Valkenburgh's "Chevrolet - Racing?" for $19.99 ($15.99 for members)... "Phil Hill - Yankee Champion" for $40 ($32 for members).

I recommend the SAE very highly, it's given me a lot of useful technical information since I've been a member, both for work and for fun (and their trips to Bonneville Salt Flats look excellent, one day I'll have to go!). Anyone here with an engineering background would probably find membership interesting and beneficial.

#2837 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:26

Originally posted by mcerqueira

Da Corsa.net

I have the P3/412 P one

The only critic would be a miss in the book title : they forgot to add the P4 , though true P4 chassis are covered as well

Christian Huet for the text and Pietro Carrieri for the O848 pics have done quite a perfect job .This book, as well as the others of the serie I have seen look like a luxuous catalog as if the car was presented to bidders candidates prior to an auction . Huet being an expert and collector, he was frequently questionned before rare collectible cars auctions in France .There is no compromise in the details he has knowledge of about those P3/412P/P4 jewels.
(For instance : who made what of the body parts is covered (Ferrari subcontractors))

All the chronological races each chassis (7) number entered are reported by Christian Huet

Apart the 0848 chassis ,there are some rare or "never seen "pics of each chassis as well ,in race action .

The book format and size enhance the iconography.Text is in Italian, French, English

Finally, there is a complete chassis details and owner record , till 1995 , date of publication of this book .

...A sure gem in a motor racing library , imo .

Michel

#2838 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 15:45

For historians interested in smaller French circuits and events;
On my recent visit to the Museum at les Sables d'Olonne, the owner drew my attention to a private publication of 1000 copies of a history of racing at Bressuire.

Title Les Annees Circuit
Sub Title Histoire de Courses Automobiles de Bressuire de 1950 a 1955

Author Jean Claude Fillon

There is no ISBN no as it was a private publication.

Listed at 20 Euros

It seemed to me to be a comprehensive chronicle of the various races at Bressuire in period, of which I knew nothing much, with photgraphs, programme details, entry lists and results for many of the events. Browsing, I did not check for the completeness of the history and results etrc, but is was clearly a labour of love and well presented. My host pointed out the details of T A S O Mathieson and Eric Brandon, both of whom raced there - the museum has recently acquired a Cooper 500cc F3 car.

I have no doubt that the Museum would help you to source a copy. They were most helpful and pleasant, and a young woman on reception speaks good English.

I recommend the Museum as a place to visit to see an excellent display of well presented, predominantly, French cars and artefacts, mainly pre late 1950s.

usual disclaimers

Roger Lund.

#2839 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 17:43

Originally posted by petefenelon
There seems to be a real "fire sale" going on at the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Borgeson's "Golden Age of the American Racing Car" for $5, $4 for members

its like that for months now. i even send a e-mail to ask some clarification,cause it look suspicious( im pretty sure its 50-40$), they never answered

Advertisement

#2840 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 18:57

Originally posted by philippe charuest
its like that for months now. i even send a e-mail to ask some clarification,cause it look suspicious( im pretty sure its 50-40$), they never answered

I think I bought it through the SAE at about $39 a few years back, it was marked down to $19.99 a few months back. I was shocked to see it for five bucks though. It's a book with a lot to recommend it - even if the SAE edition does seem to be printed on Bronco (Ask anyone who grew up in Britain between the 40s and 70s about Bronco...) by a ZX Thermal Printer. (ask anyone who grew up in Britain in the 70s/early 80s about that ;)

#2841 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 19:13

Just had an e-mail from Amazon to say that my copy of the latest Wimpffen has been despatched. I ordered it back in August and they've given me a third off , but I see that they've stopped doing that if you order now.

While on their site browsing I read the following review on BRM Vol 3 :lol:

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
This book will be fantastic, 22 Sep 2007
By K. Lyons "Kev Lyons" (Congleton, Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews

As with the others in the series this will be an excellent book. I have had this book on order for a very long time. It was ordered because of the excellent price that Amazon offered - almost too good to be true. I knew the book was not published when I ordered - DEC 2007 is the latest estimate, its with the printers as I write this (Sep 2007). Amazon have cancelled my order saying the book is unavailable. They have not responded to my emails so I'm off to Chaters who put customer service first.

http://www.amazon.co...5872476-8565201

so I just had to click to say that this review was helpful to me :rotfl:

#2842 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 20:30

Originally posted by PRD
[B]Just had an e-mail from Amazon to say that my copy of the latest Wimpffen has been despatched. I ordered it back in August and they've given me a third off , but I see that they've stopped doing that if you order now.

Had the email about my copy of the Wimpfen book, although aparantly it's been sent via parcel force so god knows when it will arrive with the mail strike. (also got it at the £59.39 price) :D

Looking forward to this one.

#2843 Dave Wright

Dave Wright

• 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 21:49

Originally posted by PRD
They have not responded to my emails so I'm off to Chaters who put customer service first.

I ordered a book from Chaters 2 weeks ago which was reported as in-stock and is still reported as in stock but I haven't received it yet. Hopefully this is just a one off. I must admit I've been very happy with Amazon delivery but wouldn't be impressed by the cancellation of the BRM book order.

#2844 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 22:00

Originally posted by Mark A

Had the email about my copy of the Wimpfen book, although aparantly it's been sent via parcel force so god knows when it will arrive with the mail strike. (also got it at the £59.39 price) :D

Looking forward to this one.

They're using the Home Delivery Network for mine and gving a delivery date of 9-12 October. Bound to turn up when we're out :rolleyes:

#2845 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 22:25

Sorry to be redundant, but does anyone have information about US availability of Brothers Rodriguez ?

Thanks.

Jack

#2846 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,665 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 15:52

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
Sorry to be redundant, but does anyone have information about US availability of Brothers Rodriguez ?

I see Amazon USA have it listed as published on 1st September 2007(!) but no details or price given.

#2847 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 23:21

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

Thanks.

Jack

Originally posted by Alan Cox

I see Amazon USA have it listed as published on 1st September 2007(!) but no details or price given. [/B]

It's probably sour, anyway.

--
Frank S

#2848 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:28

Originally posted by PRD

They're using the Home Delivery Network for mine and gving a delivery date of 9-12 October. Bound to turn up when we're out :rolleyes:

Got the same thing, I opted to have this sent to the office so there will definitely be someone to collect it. Just checked the tracking and it looks like it's at the closest depot to the office (I guess they were moving mail over the weekend inbetween the 48h strikes).

#2849 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 130 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 23:55

I just got a copy of Peter Bryant's book "Can-Am Challenger"--what I've read so far is fantastic. Very nicely written with a lot of interesting detail on 60's and early 70's racing. F1, Tasman, and Can-Am in particular. I would say it compares well with Tony Rudd's "It was fun". Many interesting photos from the 60's that I've not seen before. 40 chapters and 375 pages--well worth $50. :up:

And 3 chapters (30 pages) on the 1964 Indy/Dave MacDonald story for the conspiracy theorists on the other TNF page...........

I took a look at the new Gurney Eagle book while I was in Autobooks, and think some of the comments above are a bit harsh. There is a lot more info and pictures than Karl Ludgvigsen's Eagle book (not to damn it with faint praise as I think it is a worthwhile look at the cars, too). I think the problem may be that the whole Eagle saga is a big story and could probably justify several volumes (and maybe Doug Nye's pen) to do justice to it. For US enthusiast anyway.

Maybe the mistake was the price--$75 maybe being a bit high for the expectations.

#2850 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:10

for the P3/412P book, if it can help ...

http://www.amazon.fr...5996638-5316150

though the link exist, when I search with the button search, I get no results.Does amazon keep on line the old obsolete pages ?