The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7805 replies to this topic

#2851 PRD

PRD

• 320 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 17:17

Originally posted by PRD

They're using the Home Delivery Network for mine and gving a delivery date of 9-12 October. Bound to turn up when we're out :rolleyes:

Amazingly it turned up today when we'd popped home for half an hour between appointments :)

Advertisement

#2852 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 18:39

Has anyone yet purchased Eoin Young's Denny Hulme biography, "Memories of the Bear", and if so what are your impressions? I saw it my local book shop the other day, and was intrigued. I have to say that I was reasonably impressed with the same author's book on Bruce McLaren.

#2853 Tom Vandenhecke

Tom Vandenhecke

• 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 18:45

Go to page 70 of this thread. There you will find a couple of comments.

#2854 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 19:02

"The Works Tigers" by Graham Rood.
Last information was due to to published around now. Anyone seen anything about it?

#2855 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:01

Originally posted by MichaelM
Looks like there is a book on Bob Bondurant finally coming out.
Called Bob Bondurant: America's uncrowned World Driving Champion.
188 pages by Editions Cotty.
Author is Phil Henny who is a former mechanic for Scuderia Filipinetti and Shelby
according to the review on Motorbooks.UK.

Michael

I took delivery of this a few weeks ago. Plenty of familiar people, as well as new stories and photographs from the Bondurant careers. Shelby and Gurney are complimentary in the front of the book. I have met and spoken with Bondurant on several occasions back in the day, and more recently. Yesterday at the Coronado Speed Fest he was kind enough to say (as he signed my second copy), he remembered our sharing the control tower at Orange County International Raceway. His driving school was there at its start, and on that 1969 occasion I was Chairman of the Stewards at a Regional race. He arrived mid-morning, accompanied by a lovely lady. All male personnel were grateful. I'm not certain author Phil Henny raced there that day, but he is featured in an included photo of the author and the subject at that venue, during that year.

American racers in that era, especially those with marked success internationally, may have been under-appreciated. This book should have a positive effect in that regard. Good stuff, my view.

--
Frank S

#2856 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 21:31

Originally posted by Tom Vandenhecke
Go to page 70 of this thread. There you will find a couple of comments.

Thanks.

#2857 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:07

(slightly off the topic but for Rodriquez brothers it's ok)

Pedro's Rytune Formula Jr. was up and running last August at Mission Raceways near Vancouver BC at the All Briitish Meet.

One photo and the Western Driver article can be found at this address.

http://www.westerndr...ult.aspx?ID=255

#2858 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 21:47

Well it's been a week since a post here, so here's something to get it going again....

I guess this could be its own thread, but we'll leave it in the book section unless Twinnie decides otherwise....

What drivers deserve biographies, but haven't had one done yet (please forgive the tortured syntax)?

I'll start off with:

Richie Ginther.

Jack

#2859 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 22:18

Pentti Airikkala. No contest. He is said to be looking for someone with a sense of humour to ghost his Autobiography or write his Biography. Judging by what he posts himself on another forum, often about well known personalities, the lawyers would delay publication indefinitely!

Advertisement

#2860 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 00:08

Among stock car drivers, although Richard Petty, the Allisons, Junior Johnson, and even Curtis Turner have been bio-ed, I'm not aware of even a slapdash book on David Pearson.

And although I was thrilled to find out that Gordon Kirby is finishing up a biography of Rick Mears for publication in the spring, I thought I had read that his next subject was going to be Dan Gurney, who certainly, in a world of Hamilton instant-bios, is due a full length treatment.

#2861 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,363 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:24

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

What drivers deserve biographies, but haven't had one done yet (please forgive the tortured syntax)?

Achille Varzi and Nino Farina instantly come to mind.

#2862 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:29

Ricardo Patrese

From late 70s to early 90s, lots of ups and downs, was he aware of James Hunt's hatred of him, what was his view of the accident at Monza, all the way up to Mansell and dealing with that EGO - I'm not aware of anything on him.

#2863 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:58

What drivers deserve biographies, but haven't had one done yet?

I vote for Tony Brooks.

#2864 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,363 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:00

Originally posted by Geza Sury

I vote for Tony Brooks.

Given his recent Motor Sport article, I vote for him to do an autobiography. Excellent turn of phrase.

And how about Bill France? I think that would be an epic.

#2865 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 17:26

harry shell and jean behra

#2866 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 17:52

Ed Elisian.

Too obscure, too unloved, and would be a nightmare to research though, so I won't hold my breath.

#2867 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,363 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 18:25

Great film script though.

#2868 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 22:34

Originally posted by ensign14
Great film script though.

Indeed. Burt Reynolds in a sensitive, deep portrayal of the two sides of a complex and mysterious man's character - "Smokey and the Banned Git" :

#2869 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 15:13

Gone a bit mad, these were birthday gifts to myself (took from August to arrange)

Speed and Luxury: Cars of the Classic Era by Dennis - coffee table fare, but how delectable
Brooklands, The Complete Motor Racing History by Boddy, William
Brooklands, The Official Centenary History by Venables, David
Bugatti: The Man and the Marque by Price, Barrie; Wood, Jonathan
SPYDERS AND SILHOUETTES by Wimpffen, Janos (why do amazon amongst others have the wrong book title for sale :lol: )
Marquis De Portago the Legend by McDonough, Ed

Really looking forward to winter now :rotfl:

BRM III for christmas perhaps??? :up:

#2870 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 379 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 21:08

Birthday last week, so going through all the stuff that's been out for a while but this is the first chance to get someone to buy it for me...

Joe Saward's Grand Prix Saboteurs - been waiting for this since his first Autosport article on the subject twentyish years ago. I know you've visited TNF in the past Mr. S...this book is first rate.

Also, the Hilton Nuvolari and Tremayne's Lost Generation - still to be read - and the Grand Prix DVD to finish watching.

(and the first two Emo Phillips CDs, the second Blackfield album and a bottle of Glenmorangie, but I digress...)

APL

#2871 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 21:11

Originally posted by Geza Sury

I vote for Tony Brooks.

A Brooks biography would be well worth reading, from several points of view. His relationships with Moss, Hawthorn, Collins et al, his involvement with BRM, the Syracuse adventure etc etc.

A good English-language Patrese book would also be very welcome. A man who spanned several eras.

How about biographies of Carlos Reutemann and Jody Scheckter?

#2872 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,890 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 21:17

Anyone have an opinion on the Alfetta book that came out in 2005? I haven't seen any mention of it.

Allen

#2873 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:48

What drivers deserve biographies, but haven't had one done yet

Hans-Joachim Stuck

(I know that German author Rainer Braun has plans to do one, but firstly, he is working on the second volume of his memoirs, due out in December 2008, and then next in line is a book about Reinhold Joest, the Man and his Team, and Stuck perhaps only after that...)

#2874 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 16:48

BRM III for christmas perhaps???

Hardly likely. I've just received a note from Chaters advising that publication has been delayed until April 2008.

#2875 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,817 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 17:25

Just bought a great book, "Motor Racing Year 1966-7" edited by the staff of Motor Racing magazine including, Nick Brittan and Alan Brinton ( a name that I remember from Brands and Grovewood Securities?) and John Sprinzel and Doug Nye. Superb stroll through memory lane, great pictures and reviews of all the major races of the year, including Jim Clark in touring cars. Some club racing is also covered. I used to look at these and others in the "old" book shop at Brands, to keep out of the weather in deep and dark December.
Errr, the original price was 21shillings....or a guinea as we knew it.More than I could afford then!
The book is just the 41 years old :up:

Sterling

#2876 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:32

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Anyone have an opinion on the Alfetta book that came out in 2005? I haven't seen any mention of it.

Allen

Well worth the price....

#2877 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:34

A book on Varzi WAS done, in Italain only, about 10 years ago...

#2878 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:16

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A book on Varzi WAS done, in Italain only, about 10 years ago...

What about a book on Chiron or Trintignant?

#2879 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:22

I'm pretty sure there's been a Trintignant book, though I don't have it

Advertisement

#2880 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:33

Originally posted by David McKinney
I'm pretty sure there's been a Trintignant book, though I don't have it

Pilote de course by Maurice Trintignant.

Ed. Hachette

#2881 Tom Vandenhecke

Tom Vandenhecke

• 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 13:36

Sorry to be redundant, but does anyone have information about US availability of Brothers Rodriguez ?

Thanks.

Jack

Sadly It has been delayed until next year, so I was told by someone from Hortons.

#2882 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 14:52

Originally posted by paulhooft
quote:

A book on Varzi WAS done, in Italian only, about 10 years ago...

What about a book on Chiron or Trintignant?

Nothing on Chiron, as far as I know...

#2883 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 17:07

Originally posted by Hieronymus

Pilote de course by Maurice Trintignant.

Ed. Hachette

that book was published in a collection for kids (la bibliotheque verte) around 1960.and i read that book when i was kid ,it was the only book with le "cirque infernale by Hans Ruesch" about motorsport in the whole public library, :) .all that to say that some part of the book are interesting and were reproduce in some magazines later (auto-hebdo?) but its not by far the "definitive " biography of Trintignant that people could expect

#2884 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 19:30

Originally posted by René de Boer

Hans-Joachim Stuck

(I know that German author Rainer Braun has plans to do one, but firstly, he is working on the second volume of his memoirs, due out in December 2008, and then next in line is a book about Reinhold Joest, the Man and his Team, and Stuck perhaps only after that...)

A good biography of Stuck would be wonderful. I'll bet there are some colourful tales to be told....

#2885 red stick

red stick

• 2,289 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 15:13

Joest's career should make for some interesting reading too.

Has anyone seen Alan Hummel's history of Penske Racing? I see the author gave it 5 stars on Amazon US :rolleyes:, but I'm curious about whether it's mainly a picture book or a useful history of the man and the team.

#2886 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 18:07

Jody Scheckter's life will make a nice bio. Wonder why nobody made an effort thus far???

#2887 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 20:10

Originally posted by jph

Hardly likely. I've just received a note from Chaters advising that publication has been delayed until April 2008.

Sorry if it hurts, but Doug Nye should give us , a very PRECISE info about WHEN it will be available .

For those that didn 't follow that " affair " since the sart, IT IS THE 5 TIMES BRM Volume III Release has been postponed :|

Please, Doug, some news ...

thanks

michel

#2888 Andy Glaess

Andy Glaess

• 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 23:32

Well it's been a week since a post here, so here's something to get it going again....

I guess this could be its own thread, but we'll leave it in the book section unless Twinnie decides otherwise....

I'll start off with:

Richie Ginther.

Jack

Nice choice, as is Scheckter. I'd like to see Frank Lockhart, Rex Mays and Stefan Bellof off the top of my head. A more indepth Jochen Rindt would be great too.

The devil is in the details, however. Its all down to the writing isn't it? If it would just be an Eoin Young or Christopher Hilton quickie, then forget it. Something like Donaldson's James Hunt, or Cooper's Piers Courage book can make a holiday season for me!

#2889 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:33

Originally posted by M Needforspeed

Sorry if it hurts, but Doug Nye should give us , a very PRECISE info about WHEN it will be available .

For those that didn 't follow that " affair " since the sart, IT IS THE 5 TIMES BRM Volume III Release has been postponed :|

Please, Doug, some news ...

thanks

michel

I don't think DCN has any hand act or part in the printing and publishing scheduling.....

#2890 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,125 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:17

For those of us who write books once the copy and photos have left our hands we have nothing to do with the scheduling whatsoever. So don't ask me about the Jack Sears and Cliff Allison books apparently the Sears one might be out in time for Christmas and the Allison one is probably around spring next year. Give Doug a break, he's only human.....I think !

GG

#2891 mx906

mx906

• 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:32

Hi,

I'm not sure how you all feel about self-promotion in this forum but here goes. I've written a book entitled "The Porsche 904, 906 & 910 In The Americas." It has been about five years in the making. It has 432 pages with close to 1000 photos. There are driver biographies, race-by-race coverage of events in North and South America where a 904, 906, or 910 was entered, and detailed chassis histories for about 90 individual cars. There is also some technical information and specifications. If you are interested, you can find more information at www.sportscarracinghistory.com. The first copies will be shipped in December.

Thanks,
Jerry Pantis

#2892 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 18:33

I have just purchased Jackie Stewart's new autobiography, "Winning is Not Enough" (a bargain £14 at WH Smiths). I have not yet read it cover-to-cover, but there seem to be some new stories in there, and some detailed insight into the events before, during and after Watkins Glen '73. Has anyone else yet read the book?

#2893 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 18:49

I'm not sure how you all feel about self-promotion in this forum but here goes

I would hazard to to guess that our feelings are a lot more positive to those that do the writin' than those that merely do the sellin'. :p

#2894 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,363 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 19:00

Originally posted by M Needforspeed
Doug Nye should give us , a very PRECISE info about WHEN it will be available .

Michel - I sympathise with your sense of frustration but I reject any notion that I owe anybody 'very PRECISE info' about anything concerning production of the book in question.

I do these things for love, not for money.

They involve an immense investment in time and effort and huge chunks of my life. I certainly feel I owe nothing more than the best quality we can provide for anybody who might be interested. If they are not interested, I really don't care so long as I know we have done the best we can.

The book will emerge when it is ready, and not before. Right now everything is with the publisher - page proofs have virtually been passed and from here on the responsibility is with him, his printer, binder and distributor. Should be out around March I guess. But I do not know.

DCN

#2895 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 19:21

... it's only because your book is so eagerly awaited as opposed to those books that spew forth as spittle from a drunkard's mouth. :p

#2896 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,405 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 19:28

Originally posted by mx906
Hi,

I'm not sure how you all feel about self-promotion in this forum but here goes.

Thanks,
Jerry Pantis

We have no problem with it as long as there's a discount for TNF'ers.....

Jack

#2897 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 21:27

Re. drivers that deserve biographies but one hasn't been done yet -- I would so love to see a good one on Froilan Gonzalez. Think I read in a recent comment here that he still goes to his office almost daily, is more than willing to have visitors...? It seems to me that his memories, and the way he might deliver them, could be a huge treasure.

#2898 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 22:22

Originally posted by vivafroilan!
Re. drivers that deserve biographies but one hasn't been done yet -- I would so love to see a good one on Froilan Gonzalez.

Are you saying there's something wrong with the one published recently?

#2899 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 311 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:51

No, I'm showing my ignorance! Somehow I'd missed that one, but just now found it easily on Amazon. Thanks very much -- note to self: try investigating before commenting next time (but it's worth a little foot-in-mouth to find out about this!).

Advertisement

#2900 RAP

RAP

• 569 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:56

I have just finished Graham Orme-Bannister's book on the South Harting hillclimb. It is extremely well reasearched and covers each event (1904 to 1924) in detail, including almost full results and is well illustrated. It also provides a very good overview of the "politics" and legal issues surrounding this era of British hillclimbing on public roads. Well worth the £29.95 if this period interests you.

I'm not sure what book dealers have it but an e mail to GJOrmeB@aol.com will no doubt procure a copy.

RAP