The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7846 replies to this topic

#2951 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:31

Originally posted by Paul Medici
Patrick - a beautiful video and a wonderful concept. The scene with Ken was very special.

+1 - a fabulous piece of video. Very nostalgic.
Nathan

Advertisement

#2952 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,530 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 14:04

"The Cruel Sport" reprint is now available in The Works (at least in sunny Brum) for £6.

#2953 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 18:42

about that new biography of Jackie Stewart. does it will be release in north america with a north american dvd ?, does dvd are like vhs with a different system in europe

#2954 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 21:27

Originally posted by philippe charuest
about that new biography of Jackie Stewart. does it will be release in north america with a north american dvd ?, does dvd are like vhs with a different system in europe

Phillippe - If it is not in American (NTSC) format you should be able to play it on a computer with an up to date utility like Windows Media Player, Real Player etc. Most USA DVD players are NTSC only whereas other countries often have multi format players (PAL, NTSC, SECAM). Still a big issue though even if PCs cross the divide.

#2955 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 21:28

Woops, sorry - and Canada. ;)

#2956 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 21:19

Originally posted by Patrick Mark
The DVD comes free with the book. It's one-hour long and in 'visual chapters' that reflect the chapter headings of the book itself. It features all sorts of Stewart family 8mm material, interviews with Jackie and many others (from Sean Connery to David Coulthard, Murray Walker, Martin Sorrell, Fred Goodwin, etc, etc).

I thought that the book and the DVD complemented each other perfectly. Some of the footage is wonderful.

#2957 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,172 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 23:57

Originally posted by Muz Bee
Woops, sorry - and Canada. ;)

and a lot of the Caribbean
(South America??)

#2958 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:30

I'm just trying to find out when the US/Canada/Caribbean/Latin America publishing dates are... Seems to be some uncertainty at publisher's end at the moment but i'll keep you posted. I'm sure they will provide a DVD suitable for those regions...

#2959 FLB

FLB

• 1,929 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 14:18

I've just received an e-mail from Les Éditions du Palmier (French). Is there really a Connew F1 book coming? :D

Advertisement

#2960 Patrick Mark

Patrick Mark

• 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 14:38

I've just been told that Jackie's autobiography will be out in the US on January 3, 2008. The dvd that goes with it will be US compatible.

#2961 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,872 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 15:52

FLB asks:

Is there really a Connew F1 book coming?

Please refer to my latest post on the 'Connew New Photos' thread.

#2962 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 19:39

Originally posted by ensign14
"The Cruel Sport" reprint is now available in The Works (at least in sunny Brum) for £6.

Thanks for the info. I will check out my local store.

#2963 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 492 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 22:49

there is a new book available on Ecurie Ecosse by Eric Dymock and Paul Skilleter the book is a limited print run and includes a limited run of only 150 leather bound copies with replica EE badge on cover. It is the the second in a series the first being on noted Jaguar test driver Norman Dewis.
visit www.paulskilleterbooks.com
The front cover has a lovely pic of 3 EE cars in Flag metallic blue

terry mcgrath

#2964 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,085 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:56

According to the website there are two versions:
The standard edition at £60.00 discounted to £49.95 if you buy direct and the limited edition at £150.00.

#2965 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 15:53

Well in the absense of BRM 3, the 4th Janos Wimpffen photo book and the Rodrigues book, my super special to me christmas gift has just been identified.....

I've gotta buy the leather one now to go with my Norman book too... have to!!

#2966 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 21:24

Originally posted by green-blood
Well in the absense of BRM 3, the 4th Janos Wimpffen photo book and the Rodrigues book, my super special to me christmas gift has just been identified.....

I've gotta buy the leather one now to go with my Norman book too... have to!!

Wimpffen 3 is out - at least I saw it at Laguna Seca!

#2967 Stirling

Stirling

• 127 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 22:09

Originally posted by terry mcgrath
there is a new book available on Ecurie Ecosse by Eric Dymock and Paul Skilleter the book is a limited print run and includes a limited run of only 150 leather bound copies with replica EE badge on cover. It is the the second in a series the first being on noted Jaguar test driver Norman Dewis.
visit www.paulskilleterbooks.com
The front cover has a lovely pic of 3 EE cars in Flag metallic blue

terry mcgrath

Thanks for that link, Terry - I wasn't aware of this new Ecurie Ecosse book. The special Christmas offer of the leather-bound limited editions of both the Ecurie Ecosse book and the Norman Dewis story for £225 - a saving of £85 - is very tempting!

ciao,
Stirling

#2968 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:43

Well in the absense of BRM 3, the 4th Janos Wimpffen photo book and the Rodrigues book,

.....not to mention the Phil Hill/DCN book, which I have just mentioned. Again.

Jack

#2969 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:32

:wave: I am low on books for X-mas , any suggestions on some with a bit of transporters(paddock shots )in or perhaps some text/story? Period mainly 1930-1980 ! :smoking:

#2970 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:40

Like most of you, I receive constant e-mails from Amazon, trying to persuade me to buy something or other, but this latest effort has left me bemused, if not almost speechless.

......We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Colin Chapman: The Wayward Genius by Mike Lawrence have also purchased Lewis Hamilton: A portrait of Britain's new F1 hero by Andrew van de Burgt.....

Never thought I'd live to see a single sentence containing the names Colin Chapman, Mike Lawrence, Lewis Hamilton and Andrew van de Burght, so congratulations Amazon for thinking outside the box, several miles outside the box in this instance.

#2971 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,822 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 13:43

Originally posted by kayemod
Like most of you, I receive constant e-mails from Amazon, trying to persuade me to buy something or other, but this latest effort has left me bemused, if not almost speechless.

......We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Colin Chapman: The Wayward Genius by Mike Lawrence have also purchased Lewis Hamilton: A portrait of Britain's new F1 hero by Andrew van de Burgt.....

Never thought I'd live to see a single sentence containing the names Colin Chapman, Mike Lawrence, Lewis Hamilton and Andrew van de Burght, so congratulations Amazon for thinking outside the box, several miles outside the box in this instance.

Lewis has my total support and well wishes for his future, but I think I would rather have my teeth drilled in preference to reading this publication. I often laugh at my Amazon recommendations.......never mind "thinking outside the box" more a case of "off their trollies" :rotfl:

#2972 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 13:59

Originally posted by sterling49

Lewis has my total support and well wishes for his future, but I think I would rather have my teeth drilled in preference to reading this publication. I often laugh at my Amazon recommendations.......never mind "thinking outside the box" more a case of "off their trollies" :rotfl:

I agree, I think that the popular press are his worst enemy, but I do rate Lewis Hamilton highly. It's unfortunate that the Amazon recommendation included the word 'Hero' on this of all days. For heaven's sake, the man has never even kicked a ball, let alone died for his country.

#2973 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 14:41

I'll avoid anything for Christmas that has the names McLaren, Dennis, Mosley and Ecclestone.

#2974 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 15:16

and Hamilton! :smoking:

#2975 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 15:22

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
and Hamilton! :smoking:

Unless of course the names are preceded/followed by Bruce, Hulme, Shane, Christopher or Lady.

#2976 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,530 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 16:10

Or Maurice.

#2977 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 19:22

Unless of course the names are preceded/followed by Bruce, Hulme, Shane, Christopher or Lady.

Talking of Lady Hamilton, anyone know what on Earth has happened to volume 2 of John Sugden's splendid biography of Lord Nelson? A Dream Of Glory has left me marooned in 1797 for a couple of years since finishing it - a truly wonderful read!

#2978 Stirling

Stirling

• 127 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 00:05

Yes, I too thoroughly enjoyed vol. I of Sugden's Nelson bigraphy, Pete - and have been looking out for vol. II ever since. I remember buying vol. I of Nigel Hamilton's bio of JFK a few years back, and an excellent iconoclastic read it was - but vol. II never materialised as the author declared himself so disillusioned by his subject that he cancelled the project - felt like I'd been sold vol. I under false pretences! Hopefully nothing similar will happen to vol. 2 of Sugden - but in the meantime you could do a lot worse than Roger Knight's masterly 2005 one-volume life of Nelson.

ciao,
Stirling

#2979 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 00:06

What forthcoming book do you most eagerly anticipate? I'll begin:

Inside Track , which I believe is the working (or perhaps actual) title of the Phil Hill/DCN book.

Which are you most looking forward to?

Advertisement

#2980 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,368 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 00:13

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated Graham Hill Scrapbook 1929 -1966 (Original Scrapbook) by Philip Porter have also purchased Lewis Hamilton: The Full Story by Mark Hughes. For this reason, you might like to know that Lewis Hamilton: The Full Story is now available.

Well, yessssss .... but I'll wait till it's remaindered thanks.

So about next June then :rolleyes: :p ;)

#2981 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,530 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:36

Is it worth getting the Dymock EE book if one already has the Gauld one?

#2982 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:56

Originally posted by petefenelon

Wimpffen 3 is out - at least I saw it at Laguna Seca!

Catch up Pete, #3 is on the shelf ;) I'm now impatiently awaiting #4 - group C in all its glory.

I wonder will we one day get a TATS update to cover the last decade, ALMS, diesel at LeMans etc etc

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
Which are you most looking forward to?

The english transaltion of "Rodriguez Brothers" without doubt

#2983 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 169 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 14:02

Here's a new book about IMSA GTP cars:

Posted Image

Inside IMSA's Legendary GTP Race Cars: The Prototype Experience
Author: J. A. Martin and Michael J. Fuller
Publisher: Motorbooks
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0760330697
ISBN-13: 978-0760330692
Hardcover: 256 pages
Length: 9.50 w x 11.00 h
Regular Price: $50.00

Per Motorbooks - available December 4, 2007:

Professional automobile racing has always been dominated by sanctioning bodies whose main goal was to ensure competition. That has meant seeing that cars are well matched--in body shape or chassis/engine combinations or engine size. But what about an all-out competition, in which one teams idea of the fastest race car could be pitted against anothers, regardless of mechanical "parity"? This was what the International Motor Sports Associations (IMSA) Grand Touring Prototypes (GTP) race series was about. The Series ran from 1981 to 1993, and it was one of the most exhilarating racing experiences of all time. This book is the first to profile the amazing machines that resulted from the GTPs flat-out competition among different--and passionate--ideas about what might be the fastest way around a track: the V-12 with its better ground-effect tunnels but higher center of gravity (CG); the flat six with its low CG but severely-restricted ground-effect tunnels; the cars that used fans to suck them down onto the track; and others that employed elaborate wings and air dams. Here are the people behind this engineering free-for-all, the culmination of almost a century of automobile racing experience. And here are eighteen of the most competitive vehicles they designed. Using photography, diagrams, drawings and first-person accounts from the men who built them, Inside IMSAs Legendary GTP Race Cars offers a detailed look at the technology that drove some of the worlds most exciting race cars, the likes of which may never be seen again.

~~~~~~~~~~

Per Amazon - available February 15, 2008:

Book Description
The International Motor Sports Associations (IMSA) Grand Touring Prototypes (GTP) race series was an all-out competition, with one team's idea of the fastest race car pitted against anothers, regardless of mechanical "parity." This book tells the story of the heart-stopping result, and of 18 amazing machines that came out of the GTPs flat-out competition among different--and passionate--ideas about what might be the fastest way around a track. Using photography, diagrams, drawings and first-person accounts from the men who built the cars, the book offers a detailed look at the technology that created some of the worlds most exciting races, the likes of which may never be seen again.

About the Author
J. A. Martin has been an automotive journalist for over twenty-five years and wrote Prototypes: The History of the IMSA GTP Series for David Bull Publishing. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland.

Mike Fuller got his Bachelors of Industrial Design from Auburn University. He has worked for such racing notables as Downing/Atlanta, Riley & Scott, Reynard, and C&B International in such varied disciplines as composite lamination and wind tunnel model making. He is currently employed with Panoz/Elan Motorsports Technology as a wind tunnel model technician. He currently lives Lawrenceville, Georgia.

#2984 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 14:14

The english transaltion of "Rodriguez Brothers" without doubt

That would have been my second most anticipated new book.

Jack

#2985 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 14:42

I hope this is the correct forum to post this request.

I'm seeking a copy of Motor from November, 1966. Can someone here suggest a source?

If anyone has a copy available for purchase please send me a private message.

Many thanks.

Jack

#2986 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 16:58

Post 2979 , Thanks Seppi , I just wonder what the : "PROTOTYPES The history of the IMSA GTP series" by
J.A.Martin and K.Wells /Bull Publishing at 500 pages has less ? Also I dont like to buy books that dont tell number of pages or pictures ! But, still thanks for the info!

#2987 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 184 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 17:03

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
I hope this is the correct forum to post this request.

I'm seeking a copy of Motor from November, 1966. Can someone here suggest a source?

If anyone has a copy available for purchase please send me a private message.

Many thanks.

Jack

EBAY is still the place to go...I found MOTOR 67 issues here...You need only to be patient sometimes, but you can ask to sellers who have the same period mags, and they can help to search them for you

Michel

#2988 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,723 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 17:25

Bjorn, reference the Martin/Wells IMSA GTP/Prototype book.

Have I understood you correctly, you want to know what it's like?

It has 511 pages, hundreds of photos, both colour and b/w, good repro, high quality art paper and well worth buying. The US price was $89.95 in 2000.

Individual chapters feature cars, teams and drivers in Part 1. Part 2 has IMSA GTP results 1981-1993 spread over 190 pages.

I hope this helps.

#2989 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,368 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 17:33

For those near Brooklands who fancy a day out next Sunday Nov 18th, an added feature of the Military Vehicle Day will be a book sale in the old Press Hut where the Museum Library are disposing of excess and duplicate stock. No idea what's for sale though. Normal Brooklands admission charges apply.

#2990 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 23:51

Originally posted by Paul Parker
Bjorn, reference the Martin/Wells IMSA GTP/Prototype book.

Have I understood you correctly, you want to know what it's like?

It has 511 pages, hundreds of photos, both colour and b/w, good repro, high quality art paper and well worth buying. The US price was $89.95 in 2000.

Individual chapters feature cars, teams and drivers in Part 1. Part 2 has IMSA GTP results 1981-1993 spread over 190 pages.

I hope this helps.

It's an excellent book, but it might as well be made of Unobtainium these days :( - on the extremely rare occasions I've seen copies advertised they've been in the $300+ range.

#2991 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 23:54

Originally posted by Seppi_0_917PA
Here's a new book about IMSA GTP cars:

Posted Image

Inside IMSA's Legendary GTP Race Cars: The Prototype Experience
Author: J. A. Martin and Michael J. Fuller

Mike Fuller got his Bachelors of Industrial Design from Auburn University. He has worked for such racing notables as Downing/Atlanta, Riley & Scott, Reynard, and C&B International in such varied disciplines as composite lamination and wind tunnel model making. He is currently employed with Panoz/Elan Motorsports Technology as a wind tunnel model technician. He currently lives Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Mike also runs one of the best websites on the recent technical history of sports car racing - http://www.mulsannescorner.com/

The site is full of news, analysis, first-hand accounts from key technical people, and lots of pics of prototypes of the last couple of decades (from the tail end of Group C and GTP to the present, really). He's been working on this book for a while, with (I think) a particular focus on aerodynamics and how they influenced the development of the cars.

#2992 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:34

:wave: My language did not quite get it right ,but thanks to Paul and Pete. What I meant was what would this new book have that the one I mentioned do not have ? I got my Protoypes book at £70 then ! The new one still do not say how many pages or pictures ! :smoking:

#2993 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 14:38

Hi Bjørn - the number of pages in Inside IMSA's Legendary GTP Race Cars is given at 256. I don't see a stat anywhere for the number of photos for either book.

Pete Lyon's review of the earlier Prototypes: The History of the IMSA GTP Series

…J.A. Martin chose to focus on the human element in a team-by-team format…

http://web2.roadandt...&article_id=227

Verses Michael J. Fuller's intentions:

I've currently undertaken the co-authoring of a book on the IMSA GTP series with Jim Martin. Jim Martin previously wrote the book "Prototypes" with the late Ken Wells. Prototypes covered similar ground (IMSA GTP), but our new book will concentrate solely on the cars.

http://www.mulsannes...newsjuly06.html

(petefenelon: thanks for the pointer to mulsannescorner!)

#2994 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 16:30

:wave: Thanks a lot Seppi and others ,though I was a bit clumsy , I see the new book to be a possible good companion to the other one !(?)

#2995 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,416 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:06

I am delighted to report I have just acquired a copy of Tony Adriaensen's 'Weekend Heroes' book on the "good ol' days of American sports car racing". Absolutely outstanding colour photos (almost as good as Phil Hill's :cool: ), very nicely reproduced, and a good yarn to string them all together. I have put my back out today lugging this hefty 700-page tome around, showing it to people. I don't like the all-capital letter typography but that's a personal pecadillo. Only 1,000 numbered copies produced - mine is No 459 - in difficulty contact CorsaResearch BVBA, B-2000 Antwerpen, Belgium or quote ISBN 978-90-80119-73-4 if ordering from a dealer. I promise you won't be disappointed.

DCN

#2996 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,411 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 22:39

I have #615. I agree with your comments about ALL UPPER CASE TEXT. The eye seems to flow more fluidly across lower case type (properly capitalized, of course).

Jack.

#2997 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,872 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 23:09

May one politely enquire as to whether non-motor sporting books may be mentioned here?

#2998 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,624 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:35

:lol: One could try , its been done near the top of this page , and nothin happened :smoking:

#2999 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 16:27

After much procrastination over the last few months, earlier today I bought a copy of "1982" by Christopher Hilton. Having flicked through the book, I am not regretting it. High quality stuff, with some sumptuous photographs, and the period newspaper cuttings add to the flavour.

Today I also purchased Eoin Young's book about 1955, and "Racing in The Rain". The latter I understand has received some acclaim.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know of any Jacky Ickx biographies (in English or otherwise?).

Advertisement

#3000 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,530 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 17:05

French one "A Batons Rompus", from about 1969 IIRC.