Posted 07 April 2008 - 14:49

:wave: well you know Mister Capps , some people aint stoppable ! :smoking:

Advertisement

#3352 John Blunsden

John Blunsden

• 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 16:43

Originally posted by Sisyphus
Anyone have a suggestion on a source in the USA of Doug Nye's BRM Volume 3? Not until I pushed the "buy" button was I able to get a projected ship date from Amazon--November!!

Nothing showing on Autobooks (LA) website or on the other sources I've used for mail order before.

I hate to wait that long!

Thanks.

You'll not have to wait long, Sisyphus!

A consignment of BRM Volume 3s are on the way to MRP's North American distributor, MBI Publishing, of Osceola, Wisonsin, and should have cleared US customs and be on sale there in May.

I'm sure you'll find the short wait worthwhile, because as ever Doug was on top form!

John Blunsden

#3353 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 19:26

Originally posted by ensign14

Picked up from the States a biog of the Allison family by Peter Golenbock. His "American Zoom" was wonderfully readable oral history of NASCAR, so I'm looking forward to taking a bite of that one. Also got a Bill Elliott autobiog.

While it's a relatively minor part of the whole, look for the parts in the Elliott bio where Ivan Baldwin comes up. I got to see him several times on California short tracks and he was an outstanding short track driver. Not to mention a chassis expert.

#3354 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 19:29

Originally posted by chrisj
Could someone recommend a good book about Richard Petty? Or, a book about NASCAR in the 1960's? Thanks, Chris

"Grand National" by Bill Neely

Neely passed away last week :(

#3355 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 19:47

First, for some news. I understand the book on black American racer Joie Ray has been sent off to the printers. So, it should be out soon. "Brick By Brick" by Patrick Sullivan.

There also is a book due on Wendell Scott sometime this year - "Hard Driving" by Brian Donovan.

Don, I finally had a chance to read the Jonathan Yardley piece. I'm very impressed with his comments as well as those of Wood. I didn't mean for my post to oversimplify Lepore's piece, as there were some relevant comments to be gleaned from period comments that were not lost on me. Even if it was among what amounted to, as I called it, a "pissing match" between 18th century literati.

Thanks for the links.

#3356 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 20:09

Originally posted by kdc04
And I contacted Collectorscarbooks too. I didn't know about them. Their shop seems like heaven...

Heaven is one way of looking at it, hell is more appropriate when it come to my poor bank account. :lol:

I popped in there on Friday on the way home from work to try and track down a book on suspension, they didn't have it so I had a look around and ended up buying Twice Lucky by Stuart Turner in the bargain section, and BRM Vols, 1, 2 & 3, which they had on offer for £175. :eek:

#3357 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 133 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:35

Originally posted by John Blunsden

A consignment of BRM Volume 3s are on the way to MRP's North American distributor, MBI Publishing, of Osceola, Wisonsin, and should have cleared US customs and be on sale there in May.

I'm sure you'll find the short wait worthwhile, because as ever Doug was on top form!

Thanks for the tip, John. I will try them.

I agree Doug's books are always well worth the wait (as much as I hate the wait part!), as were your articles for Sports Car Graphics back in the day, John.

#3358 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:12

Originally posted by Mark A
I had a look around and ended up buying Twice Lucky by Stuart Turner in the bargain section

Oh that's a wonderful book - somewhere between a Carry On movie and Machiavelli's The Prince - with added rallying ;) One of those that even after you've read cover to cover a few times is always worth dipping into for the odd quote. Stuart is far too clever to have been involved in something as daft as motorsport...

#3359 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:28

This new Innes Ireland book may be of interest to some. Waiting patiently for my copy to arrive. I'm hoping it will contain the story about the mercedes and the dog, which I've never managed to get hold of.

Advertisement

#3360 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 21:01

Originally posted by KJJ
This new Innes Ireland book may be of interest to some. Waiting patiently for my copy to arrive. I'm hoping it will contain the story about the mercedes and the dog, which I've never managed to get hold of.

That sounds like a gripping read. Will you let us know your impressions when your copy arrives?

#3361 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 21:14

Originally posted by petefenelon

Oh that's a wonderful book - somewhere between a Carry On movie and Machiavelli's The Prince - with added rallying ;) One of those that even after you've read cover to cover a few times is always worth dipping into for the odd quote. Stuart is far too clever to have been involved in something as daft as motorsport...

Seen Stuart Turner talk a few times and he even turned up and awarded the trophies at a Mini Club 12 car rally i helped to organise a few years ago, a great ambassador for motorsport, and in particular grass roots rallying. :up:

#3362 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,244 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 22:21

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
I would like to post info on a book Tom Johnston and I have been working on. Is this the thread where I should let people know about the book?

Nobody said "No!", so here goes. The book is called "The Photographic Art of Ted Langton-Adams, Europe 1962". Ted Langton-Adams was a Vancouver based motor sport journalist and photographer. In 1962, Ted and his wife participated in a motor sport tour of Europe. This book is based on the images captured by Langton-Adams when they visited the European Grand Prix at Zandvoort in the Netherlands, the Monaco Grand Prix in Monte Carlo, and the 1000 km World Championship for Sports Cars race at Nurburgring. Hard cover, 8 and 1/2 by 11 inches, 74 pp., one b & w image per page. Only a few copies will be published at this point. If anyone wants additional copies, they can be made available at about $50.00 plus tax and postage to cover costs. Please contact Atlas member TEJ (Tom Johnston). The creation of this book was the result of former racer Eric Faulks inheriting Langton-Adams' extensive photographic archive. So this book is not a definitive account of the races mentioned; rather, it is Faulks' wish to honour his friend's work. You can see some examples of Ted's photos by searching for "Langton-Adams" on the forum. Tom and I have lots more of Ted's photos (I have the negatives and Tom the prints), so there any many more from these 1962 events, as well as images from early 60s west coast racing (Pacific Raceways, Portland, Westwood, etc.) Scanning these is an ongoing process. I will be at the Monaco Historique and the Mille Miglia (Brescia and Florence) if anyone is interested.

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#3363 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 499 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:05

Has the book called "The Definitive History of Britains Best Loved Motor Racing Circuit" been published yet? I ordered on last November, had two post cards from Motorbooks saying that printing was delayed, and then silence.

#3364 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:11

Originally posted by Robin Fairservice
Has the book called "The Definitive History of Britains Best Loved Motor Racing Circuit" been published yet? I ordered on last November, had two post cards from Motorbooks saying that printing was delayed, and then silence.

Its available from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN/1844253341
 ;)

#3365 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 20:24

The Brands Hatch book looks excellent, I saw it at Chaters recently, it's on my very long list to obtain. Anyone read the Jack Sear's book? Just ordered it online and also eagerly awaiting "Memory Lanes", which I understand is now being printed/finished in France.

#3366 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,181 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 22:34

Originally posted by sterling49
Anyone read the Jack Sear's book?

A little bit disappointing. I did not want to read whole chapters about David Sears career and Stanley Sears cars in a relatively short book. No revelations either about the BRDC/Walkinshaw saga (lawyers' ruling maybe but a clear indication that it is a "no go" area for JS anyway). Not enough detailed technical stuff for me about the cars driven, saloons especially. Redeemed by the JS comment that the leaf spring Cortina handled better than the A frame car, effectively endorsing my view that Chapman was not the complete genius he is sometimes made out to be!
No fault whatsoever of the author or subject but my very local publisher Veloce is begining to make me angry with its advertising within the pages of its books, to the extent that I will now avoid them except for very exceptional important subjects. (I have another Veloce book that suffers from disintegration, despite having being replaced - quite the worst binding of any book I have bought).
Worth it all for the coverage of the 57 Daily Express Silverstone saloon race. I was far too young to see clearly through the chestnut paling on the inside of Woodcote but still recall seeing JS in the A105 a few feet away in the holding area before going to the grid and someone telling him: "If you win the class Jack I'll buy it off you!" (He didn't. To my Riley RMB-owning father's delight, Harold Grace's Riley Pathfinder did.)
All because of Jack Sears that day, I was never then going to become other than a tin-top enthusiast.

#3367 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 22:50

I too saw JS when very young, racing Cortinas and AC Cobra, I was hoping the book would go into all his exploits in some depth.

#3368 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:32

Originally posted by RS2000

To my Riley RMB-owning father's delight, Harold Grace's Riley Pathfinder did.

About five years later I owned the ex-Grace Pathfinder - never buy an ex-racing car for road use!

#3369 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,181 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 13:59

Often wondered what became of it!

#3370 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,017 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 19:53

Anyone read the Jack Sear's book?

It seems a bit "once over lightly" with little about his time in the Willment Coupe, for instance. The book is also full of typos, with only mediocre editing. Better than nothing, but could easily have been improved.

Frank

#3371 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 19:54

Originally posted by RS2000
Often wondered what became of it!

Rallied it a bit, got fed up with its foibles (self-applying brakes in frosty weather, jack that wouldn't lift the rear wheel off the ground because the front suspension was raised, etc.) so sold it on after about six months (without its history file!) before the very noisy first gear broke.
Doubtless scrapped not long after. :down:

#3372 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:23

Re Memory Lanes. Just had a phone call from Peter Robinson to say "soft back books in the post next week"

#3373 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,181 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 18:45

What of the hardback - that was supposed to be first?

#3374 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:38

Just received my copy of BRM Volume 3 from Classic Motorbooks today--Doug you have outdone yourself yet again! Fantastic detail, photos, stories and technical data! I will very much enjoy the reading. Tony would be well pleased.

And thanks again, John, for suggesting Classic Motorbooks as a source.

#3375 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:12

Memory Lanes. I think he said the Hardbacks the following week from France.The "dummy copy"" he sent me is a very interesting read.

#3376 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:26

The Brands Hatch book looks excellent, I saw it at Chaters recently, it's on my very long list to obtain .

I was sure that this book would be at the very top of your list of "must-haves", sterling. Don't delay, buy today.

#3377 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 15:18

Originally posted by Alan Cox

I was sure that this book would be at the very top of your list of "must-haves", sterling. Don't delay, buy today.

All in due course Alan......I have a nice collection at mum's still unread..........I daren't look on Amazon, Chaters, or worse still go into Chaters at Brands...... :eek: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (no pound sign on pc :rolleyes: )

#3378 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 499 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 15:46

I have now ordered the Brands Hatchbook from Amazon. For Sterling, you must be using a north american keyboard if you don't have a £ key. I live in Canada and have to use "Alt 156" to get a £ sign. Or were you just being emphatic about availability of funds?

#3379 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,833 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 16:36

Originally posted by Robin Fairservice
I have now ordered the Brands Hatchbook from Amazon. For Sterling, you must be using a north american keyboard if you don't have a £ key. I live in Canada and have to use "Alt 156" to get a £ sign. Or were you just being emphatic about availability of funds?

Funds ok, so the works manager tells me :rolleyes: , but yes, I believe I have a USA keyboard!

Advertisement

#3380 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:21

MIKE HAWTHORN - GOLDEN BOY, A NEW BOOK TO BE PUBLISHED AUTUMN 2008
AND A REQUEST FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS!

Posted Image

For those Mike Hawthorn fans amongst members, you'll be pleased to know that there is a new book on our 1958 World Champion being prepared, title as above. Artist Paul Dove kindly donated use of his painting by the same title as the cover illustration for the book you see on the mock-up above (even sending a separate painting of the bow tie to use).

I'm working on this flat out at the moment from dawn to somewhere past dusk. It will be published by Paul Skilleter who has had great recent success via his PJ Publishing company with his Ecurie Ecosse and Norman Dewis books (the latter on a second reprint now). Paul also won the Guild of Motoring Writers Montagu Award for the best researched and written motoring book of the year for his work with Norman Dewis.

The book will hopefully be published in November 2008 in advance of the 50th Anniversary of his death. It will be large format and have many, many photographs (we currently have over 700 for consideration with more being added every day). The book concentrates on memories of Mike from those that knew him from growing up through to his work at the Tourist Trophy Garage and on to and past his death. There will be a hefty chapter on memorabilia that survives him. Well known Forum member Doug Nye is kindly contribuing a chapter on Mike's racing history. Doug in fact joined a number of people involved with the book in Farnham a couple of weeks back to tour some of Mike's old haunts.

We had with us two former employees of the TT Garage and had a look round the premises in East Street as they are now, even talking our way up into the old disused storerooms above the current spares shop! Brian and Loraine who were with us both worked at the garage, Brian from 1956 - 1967 and his mother was Mrs Hawthorn's daily at their home for many years. As a result there are many revelations that haven't appeared in print before and some unique glimpses into his private life.

You can find out more about the book here on the Tribute Web Site - in fact it was the site that prompted the decision to produce the book due to the volume of information that has been steadily coming in from people who visited the site since it came online in November of 2006. There are currently 14 chapters planned. Notably, Jean Ireland (nee Howarth), who Mike was to marry, has agreed to talk in depth about her time with Mike.

If anyone out there has direct memories of Mike and would like to record them then I would like to hear from you please. Also anyone with items of memorabilia they would like included. Your memories are important to the book as are your photographs, especially if they are unseen so far - you can contact me via this forum or there is a form on the site to register your interest in the book if you want to and where you can make comments.

One question - does anyone know what happened to Grogger 2?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

NB: we have until about the end of May to get the copy together so start hitting the keyboards now please!

Once we get to proof pages, I'll post some examples here for everyone to see.

#3381 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,882 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:30

I must say, I'm not mad about that painting - sorry!

#3382 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:37

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Okay, I'll not add you to the list then ):

#3383 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,882 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:40

Nevertheless, that's a MUST HAVE book for me..... :)

#3384 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 21:48

I'll probably buy the book, but - like Barry - I have misgivings about the picture. Mike's eyes look a bit - well - manic. :eek:

#3385 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 23:07

:clap:

This is excellent news! If the book is as good as the Dewis one, it should really be something to look forward to.

When will orders start to be taken? I’d like to reserve a copy ASAP if I can.

I’m sure that the integrity of the book’s content will be beyond reproach, but if I can be totally honest, I’m not madly keen on the painting either…

Anyway – it’s about time a book like this was published. I look forward to placing mine alongside Mon Ami Mate.

Justin

#3386 mkv23

mkv23

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:30

The two new titles that Motorbooks have advertised on their website look very interesting.
Especially the Peter Collins book as I dont believe there has been one done before just on Collins, only Mon ami Mate with Mike Hawthorn.
I think the new Innes Ireland book might be the first of a series.

http://www.motorbook...sp?bookid=84216

http://www.motorbook...sp?bookid=83758

Can't wait. :)

#3387 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:35

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I have misgivings about the picture. Mike's eyes look a bit - well - manic. :eek:

Originally posted by flat-16
I’m sure that the integrity of the book’s content will be beyond reproach, but if I can be totally honest, I’m not madly keen on the painting either…

Don't let that put you off! I think the painting's great!!! :up:

#3388 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:45

Originally posted by fines

Don't let that put you off! I think the painting's great!!! :up:

It's very Mills & Boon. With that gelled quiff, he looks like a member of a modern boyband.

#3389 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 17:33

I believe the near-leer and devil-dancing eyes set up a tension with the title; the only possible path to resolution is to purchase and read the book.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA
USA

#3390 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,181 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 18:30

Originally posted by kayemod
he looks like a member of a modern boyband.

Well he did - albeit a rather tall one. The eyes are definitely wrong though - I remember them to this day from when he narrowly avoided knocking me (about a third of his height then!) over passing in a crowd at the 58 Motor Show and turned to show concern.

#3391 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:50

I'm really looking forward to both the Hawthorn and Collins books, they both deserve their own, I suppose Mon Ami Mate dominates the topic!! Also coming from EMcD, Collins should be emminently readable. However Skilleter is going to bankrupt me - I bought a leather bound edition of Norman Dewis and love it, so when the EE book came out I plumped for the matching leather copy - now I'll be having to do the same for Hawthorn!!!

Speaking of my growing credit card bill... I've come up with a solution - having kids.

We own a modest three bedroom semi detached home, nothing spectaclular, but with 3 kids under 4, my spare room now has to make room for the boy (see the pic below, I've been training him for last 2 years)

Posted Image

So.... most of my book collection (250 or so) was last night boxed into 10 larger plastic crates to go into the attic space.... I'm going to miss them badly. My wife left me well alone to comlete this task as I was not in a friendly mood!!!

My A-list stuff is staying close to my bed however.. and I've negotiated a new B+ shelf

20 years and 8 months until the last of mine hit 21 - Then I want my room back :-)

So the question - how and where are your books stored/displayed??

#3392 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:09

Originally posted by green-blood
So the question - how and where are your books stored/displayed??

Chaotically. :

#3393 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 16:39

Chaotically. :

As they say in less-rarified regions: "+1".

--
Frank S

#3394 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,882 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 18:21

...in this home-made bookcase.

Posted Image

With typical foresight - :( - it was built about 3 years ago to take all my books.

Since then I have obtained approximately 10 new ones.... :(

#3395 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,429 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 18:53

Hmm .... just totted it up. About 10 metres of shelving. Then there's the 12 metres with magazines on .... and the large pile of magazines I've not got round to filing yet .... two bulging lever arch files of pamphlets, booklets and other "spineless" stuff ..... several box files of photocopies ..... oh, and a box of early 90s Motoring News I never got round to throwing out!

And it's all full :blush: :eek:

#3396 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 19:50

Posted Image

This doesn't include the magazines &c that are in the spare room...the "collector" books (Autocourses, Le Mans books and Black Books) in the lounge, or the other Billy case on the right which has motoring on the bottom shelf...

#3397 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,401 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 20:28

Maybe you should revive this old thread.

#3398 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 20:30

I have long since given up trying to accommodate my collection of racing books in an organised way. They take up two sizeable bookcases, plus some floor space.

#3399 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,429 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 20:40

Posted Image

This doesn't include the magazines &c that are in the spare room...the "collector" books (Autocourses, Le Mans books and Black Books) in the lounge, or the other Billy case on the right which has motoring on the bottom shelf...

BRM 3 must be mis-filed .... :p

A few grand's worth there ens!

(BTW I just got a VG copy of Rose for 50 quid + post from the States. RESULT!!)

Currently my 'recently purchased but unread' pile includes that, "Speed Addicts", "Quicksilver Century", two German books on racing in the DDR ("Meister des Sports" and "Autorennsport in der DDR"), the MvB biography (also in German), "Un Mito La Targa Florio", "Atalanta", Cimarosti's "Auto Rennsport" .... just finished "Colour and Noise" and "The Sound And The Fury" and I'm halfway through "Triumph of the Red Devil".

Just thinking - in addition to books in English I have volumes in German, French, Flemish, Italian, Czech, Lettish, 'Merican, Orstrilian, Kiwi, Seth Efricen, Macauan :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#3400 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,654 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 20:47

Originally posted by Vitesse2

BRM 3 must be mis-filed .... :p

This photo is a few weeks old, pre-volume 3. :)

There's a sort of logic, driver books on the bottom wall shelf, team books above, general reportage and formula/sportscars above that, and in the bookshelves US racing and books on specific races (Targa/Le Mans and so on). And the posh ones in the lounge, the Wallens and so on. I do need a clearout, there's some I haven't even touched in years.