The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#3551 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:48

Originally posted by helioseism
You might try this link to order "Sunset On Kyalami".

Ordered the book trough them just before I saw your post.

Can tell that communciation with them was excellent. Book is on the way to Holland

Advertisement

#3552 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 21:50

For those with a particular interest in Ferrari books, you may wish to visit our thread at

www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200937

Posting and seeing pictures requires registration.

We're just starting the thread, so we're sort of in the "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" stage, but perhaps it will grow to be as informative and interesting as the TNF book thread.

Hope to see you there.

Jack

#3553 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 18:27

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Hitler's Motor Racing Battles by Eberhard Reuss

Just ordered a copy. Various German friends were complimentary about it when it first came out there, but I felt it was a bit beyond my schoolboy German. :rolleyes:

The original would almost certainly been way beyond my German as well, but I'm finding it difficult enough to read in English. Undeniably an impressive book, massively comprehensive and certainly the best researched yet on the subject, but the writing has no flow to it, and there are too many attempts at levity that become faintly irritating after a while. Reuss is fond of asking questions like "What could Alfred Neubauer have meant by this?", and then he fails to tell us. I find myself having to plod through it almost word by word and often going over sentences twice to get it to sink in, it's going to be a long slog at this rate, more serious of course, but very different from Chris Nixon's 'Racing the Silver Arrows', which is both readable and scholarly. I'm almost using a finger to follow the thread, and I'm expecting my Wife to tell me she can see my lips moving. Perhaps this was just after a difficult day at work, or maybe I need new reading glasses. I'm not giving up on it yet.

#3554 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,066 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 20:59

Originally posted by kayemod

The original would almost certainly been way beyond my German as well, but I'm finding it difficult enough to read in English. Undeniably an impressive book, massively comprehensive and certainly the best researched yet on the subject, but the writing has no flow to it, and there are too many attempts at levity that become faintly irritating after a while. Reuss is fond of asking questions like "What could Alfred Neubauer have meant by this?", and then he fails to tell us. I find myself having to plod through it almost word by word and often going over sentences twice to get it to sink in, it's going to be a long slog at this rate, more serious of course, but very different from Chris Nixon's 'Racing the Silver Arrows', which is both readable and scholarly. I'm almost using a finger to follow the thread, and I'm expecting my Wife to tell me she can see my lips moving. Perhaps this was just after a difficult day at work, or maybe I need new reading glasses. I'm not giving up on it yet.

Those hanging questions are almost exclusively related to post-war "de-Nazification" procedures and related investigations and trials. I think that what Reuss is trying to say is that since these questions weren't asked at the time it is now next to impossible to come up with the answers, but that they should have been asked then. And they're generally uncomfortable questions, which could often be less than easy to reconcile with accepted history - generally as written by the subjects themselves. The autobiographies of Neubauer, Caracciola, Lang and von Brauchitsch are all - in their ways - pretty much whitewashes, but have become, in the absence of any critical alternatives, accepted as the truth. Perhaps the only person we should believe is Wilhelm Sebastian ....

See Doug's comment about hagiographers above ;)

#3555 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:25

Automotive Literature Faire -- Southern California Event
This Society of Automotive Historians (SoCal Chapter) 2008 event be this Sunday, June 22 outside the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum (Fairplex Gate 1) 1101 West McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA. 8am-3pm. "Automotive writers, historians and restorers will sell materials from their research libraries: out-of-print books, posters, programs, catalogs, photos & sales brochures."

#3556 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 22:46

Mark,

The Literature Faire at Pomona is indeed a worthwhile event. I should also mention that admission is free to non-vendors, and that the weather will be clear and 'warm' (that's bloody hot for those not familiar with SoCal weather).

I'll be there with Jim Sitz and will see you Sunday, Mark.

Woody

#3557 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:53

Sunset on Kyalami 1961 to 1971.
My copy arrived late last week and is thoroughly enjoyable. It is exactly that, a history plus photos. With good narrative telling of the origins and construction of the circuit, it goes on to give a list of the various race entries, with comments and notes on the cars and drivers, with a list of the main results.
The list of contributors shows most of the great and the good in that period who have supplied extra pictures or relevant comments and background. The book is hardback A4 landscape and many of the photographs are that size, along with many pages of 4, 6 or 8 to a page, all very well captioned. The author has had the support of an excellent photo editor who has recaptured very clearly the colours, always IMHO, a key issue in period shots.
Running to 211 pages it is a considerable book, and whilst the usual suspects and leading lights feature in pictures, there are some wonderful shots of much less well-known cars,; Lolette Chev- both open and coupe, LDS Alfa in period hue, DB Panhard le Mans, Consul Spl, Clitrun Climax, APM Alfa, Monza Ford, Mirage V8 single seater, Barracuda Volvo, Ecosse Climax – not THAT one, Matra MS7 in primer, Palbin BMW etc, plus a glorious full page shot of Dave Hume in the Heron Alfa in 1963, set against a backdrop of the carpark and the hinterlandbut featuring a twin aperture nose akin to a cross between the 156 Sharknose and the Assegai.
There is a quite incongruous element to the cars in the trackside carpark behind the Heron. Among the Minis and VWs etc, sandwiched between an Alfa 1900 IIRC and an upright Ford E93A/103E is a beautiful Ferrari 250 California Spyder in Giallo Fly. Just a fantastic picture IMHO
If period picture/history books from somewhere different do it for you, this is a worthy buy, especially as the author did it as a self publish, I think. Usual disclaimers and apologies for going on at length
Roger Lund.

#3558 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 17:41

Great Roger, it seems that quite a few chaps are trying to get a copy, so your comments are much appreciated.

Did Ray Reed's ReAlfa (Realpha) also eventually made it in Gary's book? I'll buy the book just to see this particular car.

#3559 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 20:03

[i]Originally posted by Hieronymus Did Ray Reed's ReAlfa (Realpha) also eventually made it in Gary's book? I'll buy the book just to see this particular car. [/B]

Marius, you will have to order a copy.............. page 80 top left picture. Not the biggest photo in the book..... Mr Read has 2 mentions in 1964, running as race no. 9 and was unplaced both times. Sadly no photos of the Netuar Peugeot which must get the prize for best tryer.
Roger

Advertisement

#3560 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 00:54

New French books available from Palmier:

GRAC 1964-1974 par Gérad Gamand. Edition Autodiva. 2008. Couverture carton + jaquette. 255x288. 256 pages. 450 photos. 69 €
link

Sport et prototypes Ferrari au Mans 1961-1967 par François Hurel. Edition Le Mans Racing. 2008. Couverture cartonnée. 205x280. 144 pages. 39,90 € link

917 Porsche Esquisses d'un succès Sketches of success par Reynald Hézard. Edition Le Mans Racing. 2008. Texte Français et Anglais. 310x250. Couverture cartonnée + jaquette. 271 pages 40 € link (book is near bottom of page)

#3561 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 18:25

Originally posted by bradbury west

Marius, you will have to order a copy.............. page 80 top left picture. Not the biggest photo in the book..... Mr Read has 2 mentions in 1964, running as race no. 9 and was unplaced both times. Sadly no photos of the Netuar Peugeot which must get the prize for best tryer.
Roger

I have a pic of the Netuar...btw, there were more than one.

PS. Gerard Gamand is a frequent contributor to TNF, so let us support his terrific efforts in compiling the GRAC book.

#3562 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 20:19

[i]Originally posted by Hieronymus
PS. Gerard Gamand is a frequent contributor to TNF, so let us support his terrific efforts in compiling the GRAC book. [/B]

Even if his publisher's website mis-spells his first name. The Dal Bo story looks good too.
Roger Lund

#3563 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:54

The GRAC book can also be ordered at this address:

http://www.autodiva.fr/livres.html

Re. the Pygmee/Dal Bo book...it was already published in 2002 by Didier Martin. A really good effort! Perhaps we'll see an updated version soon.

#3564 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:27

Heads up from Octane: Colin Crabbe is working on an autobiography.

#3565 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 19:21

Originally posted by dewittereus

I have been trying to contact Mr. Kegel via email. But had no response sofar. Any suggestions about other sources? Must say I have not looked yet at Chater's website. But books about South African racing are most of the times hard to (such as the book about the Springbok Series, or the one about John Love).

On the subject of ordering books from South Africa.

Chaps, if you ever do this, please insist on the registered mail option. It will cost a little bit more, but at least you’ll have a fairly good chance of getting your items delivered. Ordinary air or surface mail must never be considered.

Theft is causing havoc at our ports and things are just getting worse. Amazon has just decided that they will not deliver to South Africa anymore by postal mail. We’ll have to pay private courier charges for this privilege. This immediately makes it virtually impossible to import from a financial point of view.

The last book I ordered by air mail from a supplier in France took nearly 4months to reach me. It “got stuck” at customs.

Not sure where we go from here, other than downhill…very fast. It seems that ordinary mail is also now being intercepted by customs in the hope of scavenging or making a quick buck or two. I just had this experience this morning. The buggers don’t want to release a foreign letter. Ask for a receipt or invoice. Told them to p-off, since when must I show invoices for private correspondence. I think I am also going to write a letter to the clown in our parliament in “charge” of customs/tax with a suggestion to join a different circus.

#3566 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,066 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 22:29

Originally posted by Vitesse2

I've also ordered Todd Gould's "For Gold and Glory", which I don't think has been discussed here. It's the book from a PBS programme made about six years ago:

http://www.pbs.org/forgoldandglory/

AFAIK never broadcast outside the US :

I read this fascinating book more or less in one sitting. It really does deserve a wider audience, for this is a subject which mainstream racing history just doesn't touch.

Charlie Wiggins - the central character in the book - may very well have been a "lost genius", but the prevailing "color line" in US racing, by which means the AAA effectively said that racing was a white man's sport, meant that he was never able to prove himself in direct competition with the stars of Indianapolis. Even though most of the "Gold and Glory" races were held just down the road at the Indiana State Fairground.

Gould tells a compelling tale, weaving the story of Wiggins and his rivals with a well-written narrative taking in bootlegging, rum-running, political shenanigans and the rise and fall of the Ku Klux Klan. He takes nothing for granted and provides plenty of background detail for those - like me - who aren't really familiar with the 1920s scene in the mid-West.

Ultimately, the "Gold and Glory" races faded into history through a combination of tragedy and mismanagement, but Gould makes a case that African-American racers were on the threshold of a breakthrough in the late 1930s, only to see the chance slip away. Yes - Joie Ray crossed the line in the late 1940s, but it took a long time before Willy T Ribbs made it to Indy .....

#3567 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 14:58

A wonderful book is "Reflets" and features many reproductions of Hideki Yoshida's paintings. Yoshida is renowned for his magnificent goaches and oil paintings of sports cars. He was one of the first painters to have sports car as a subject for a still live painting. And in his very unique style. He knows how to capture the reflection of light in the painted bodyworks.
Book is about 144 pages and has size 23x23 cm. ISBN 978-2-9526281-2-9. Priced around 38,00 €.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Some teasers:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3568 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 15:18

Let's face it Arjan, some artists/illustrators just 'have it' and others struggle in vain to get there. Those are just sublime. :up:

#3569 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 15:32

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
Let's face it Arjan, some artists/illustrators just 'have it' and others struggle in vain to get there. Those are just sublime. :up:

Agreed, the Disco Volante and the D-Type in particular are real works of art and I'd be proud to have them on my wall, never mind in a book.

#3570 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,812 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 16:21

Mmmmn, got overwhelmed in Chaters at Brands, by a fabulous book on the Lotus 72 by Michael Oliver, had to have it.......just glanced through it so far, and I have a busy week-end ahead.....too big to take on holidays, doh!

#3571 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 19:07

It is big. And thorough. Oliver also has a volume on the Lotus 49 which is worth hunting.

#3572 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 19:14

What you may not realise is that Michael Oliver is also a regular on TNF with over 500 posts.

#3573 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by red stick
It is big. And thorough. Oliver also has a volume on the Lotus 49 which is worth hunting.

The 49 and 72 books are both magnificent.

#3574 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,812 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 00:02

Originally posted by Barry Boor
What you may not realise is that Michael Oliver is also a regular on TNF with over 500 posts.

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael and family at Eynsham Hall Barry, so I knew of the books that he had authored, just knew I should have resisted the temptation to go into Chaters...I started with a Robson book on the RS1800 at £15.00, telling myself it was a treat, but that was elevated quickly to the Lotus 72, and a fine choice it was to! The 49 is next in line :up:

#3575 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 00:30

Nice summary of J.A. Martin and Michael J. Fuller's Inside IMSA’s Legendary GTP Race Cars from our friends at The Last Turn Clubhouse.

http://lastturnclub....id=396&Itemid=1

#3576 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:54

Saw William Taylor at Brands yesterday and got my comp copy of the McLaren book. Up to his usual very hight standard of design ,printing ,photo quality(vested interest).Buy it before it sells out.

#3577 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:38

I visited Bentley Publishing's premises in Cambridge, MA today. They only have a small store on site and don't get many walk-in customers, they're very pleasant though and I couldn't help buying "The Speed Merchants" by Michael Keyser. I've only flicked through it so far but it looks like a good read and the pictures are tremendous.

#3578 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 16:13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arjan de Roos

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bet they never had a paint finish like that when new!

#3579 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 16:27

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arjan de Roos

Bet they never had a paint finish like that when new!
[/QUOTE]

Or panel fits, for that matter!

Advertisement

#3580 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 474 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:43

Some news of a new book: “Freik – The Private Life of the Freikaiserwagen” by Hugh & Rob Dunsterville, published by the Midland Automobile Club, which will be available from the two M.A.C. Regalia outlets at Shelsley Walsh this coming weekend, 5/6 July.

There is further information at www.freikaiserwagen.com .

It can also be purchased at VSCC Prescott, on August 2 & 3, directly from the stall of Jeremy Wood Photographics (the MAC's designated sales-agent for the event). Thereafter solely from the Midland AC. If by post, the book has to be ordered from: The M.A.C., Shelsley Walsh, Worcester W6 6RP. Tel: 01886 - 812211; www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk

Price will be: £12.50 (or £15.00, incl. p&p).

Other details: 112 pages glossy paper, perfect-bound with heavy-duty laminated card cover. Size: 27 x 20cm.

#3581 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by Pete Stowe
Some news of a new book: “Freik – The Private Life of the Freikaiserwagen” by Hugh & Rob Dunsterville, published by the Midland Automobile Club, which will be available from the two M.A.C. Regalia outlets at Shelsley Walsh this coming weekend, 5/6 July.

Fantastic, that is an absolute must! Thanks for the info.

#3582 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 16:08

New French book:

Le Bègue René
Sur la piste de René Le Bègue

par Rémi Paolozzi. Editions du Palmier 2008. Livre de 80 pages, Format 210 x 280. Couverture souple. LIVRE NEUF

22 € (Euro)

http://www.kiosquaut...asp?pid='14595'

#3583 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 16:14

And another new French book:

la 4 CV Bovin - Michel - Spéciale

De 1950 à 1955 Camille Bovin et le pilote Guy Michel fabrique une barquette sur base 4 CV et remportent de nombreuses épreuves, cette histoire raconté par Robert Bovin (le fils de Camille) richement illustrée, livre de 82 pages format 165 x 230 couv. souple, édité par Pixel Press Studio 2008, LIVRE NEUF

18 € (Euro)

http://www.kiosquaut...asp?pid='14496'

#3584 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 16:33

OK, last two new French books:

1968 : Une saison de sport automobile en France

L année 68, une saison de sport automobile en France
par Christian Courtel. Edition Echappement avec les archives d Adolph Conrath. Livre de 272 pages format 210 x 240. Couverture souple. LIVRE NEUF

25 € (Euro)
http://www.kiosquaut...asp?pid='14423'

-----------------------------------------

les 1000 km de Paris 1956 - 1994

Nouvelle édition
par Michel Bollée. Editions du Palmier. 2008. Livre de 128 pages format 210 x 280.Photos couleur et N/B, Couverture souple. LIVRE NEUF

45 € (Euro)
http://www.kiosquaut...asp?pid='14421'

#3585 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 20:51

Friends:

I've just found an extra copy of the 1984 book Porsche Posters by Juergen Lewandowski. It's been out of print for years, so if anyone would like it, please contact me. The book is in as-new condition, in the original cardboard sleeve, $300 plus shipping.

Thanks,

Frank
fbarrett@aol.com
303/237-0911

#3586 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 19:12

I thought I would let everyone know how thrilled I am with the book "Sunset On Kyalami 1961-1971", by Gary Kegel and Brian Bennett. It is exactly the kind of book I enjoy most - hundreds of never before seen (at least by me) color photos of all the races at Kyalami from its origin to 1971. It also has the race results, and entrant list with the fate of each entrant. In some cases, the starting grid is provided. Each race has a short introduction. There are chapters about the origin, construction, character of the track. It's a gem in my opinion. Congratulations to Kegel and Bennett for a fantastic production.

As for ordering from South Africa, the book arrived in the US just fine, it took about two weeks, and was sent with all sorts of certifications, bar codes and needed my signature to retrieve it from the Post Office. So, the concerns expressed by Hieronymus about ordering books from South Africa seemed to be adequately dealt with in this case.

The web site for the slot car place I ordered it from (and posted on TNF) now states that they are out of stock. The book itself has contact info for the author:

Genuine Classics
PO Box 84692
Greenside
Johannesburg 2034
South Africa
e-mail: mkegel@worldonline.co.za
Phone: Gary: (+27) 076 120 4564
Dot: (+27) 083 541 3704

In addition this website also is advertising the book:
http://www.autobooks.co.za/

However it would be fantastic if additional distributors could be found, as it would make obtaining the next two eagerly awaited volumes easier.

#3587 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 19:31

I believe the author is in discussion with a major motorsport publication wholesaler in London, whcih should help things along somewhat. I endorse the comments about the book though. Treat yourselves to it as a faraway archive.
Roger Lund

#3588 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:10

Picked up the new "McLaren the Cars 1968 2008" at the Mclaren stall (if thats the right term) at Silverstone this weekend. As I asked if they had any signed copies, some guy who was just walking behind the counter said "I will sign it", thinking to myself yeah right and who the hell are you, he must of picked up on it and said he was the author Williamm Taylor.

Any I bought one and he signed it.

Fantastic book, high quality and would recommend it to any motor racing fan. It took three years to produce and according ti William, Ron Dennis wouldnt sign it off until he was 100% satisfied.

#3589 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,225 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:35

At the Pacific Northwest Historics at Pacific Raceways, Kent, Washington on the weekend, I was pleased to buy the following from Logan Gray and his Vintage Motorbooks:

"Dick Seaman, Racing Motorist (A Racing Champion)", by Prince Chula (1948)
"A Racing Car Driver's World", by Rudolf Caracciola (1961)
"The Unbelievable Unsers", by Joe Scalzo (1971)
"Juan Manuel Fangio, The human face of Motor Racing", by Pierre Ménard and Jacqes Vassal (2004)

And Al, Sr. signed the Scalzo book for me!

Posted Image Posted Image

Vince H.

#3590 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:50

Mr. Howlett, I'm afraid I'm going to have to fine you for attending a motorsport event WITHOUT your TNF badge!

Your fine, which I shall collect when next we meet, is..... an ice cream!!!!  ;)

#3591 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,812 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:58

Mr. Howlett, I'm afraid I'm going to have to fine you for attending a motorsport event WITHOUT your TNF badge!

Your fine, which I shall collect when next we meet, is..... an ice cream!!!!  ;)

.....I cannot tell a lie Barry, he never wore a badge when we met either (nor did I though.....) however, you will be pleased to know, the conditions of the fine were met with a humongous cone of Victoria's finest :up:

#3592 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,225 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:19

How about some of Marion's shortbread or fudge?

Actually, I did have my TNF badge on my shirt! But the weather kept changing, so at that point, about 9:30 on Saturday morning, I had my jacket on over top (sort of).

And Sterling, I got my badge from Barry at Monaco this year, so I didn't have it yet when we met...but we can still have fish & chips, ice cream, etc. when we meet again!

Vince H.

#3593 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 18:52

I wonder if anybody has read the book "Ferrari, mio padre" by Piero Lardi Ferrari with Leo Turrini?

It was published last year in italian language, but doesn't seem to be available from Libreria dell'Automobile.

Jan

#3594 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 48 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:59

Originally posted by Jan Holmskov
I wonder if anybody has read the book "Ferrari, mio padre" by Piero Lardi Ferrari with Leo Turrini?

It was published last year in italian language, but doesn't seem to be available from Libreria dell'Automobile.

Jan

I haven't read it but you can buy it here: http://www.lafeltrin...6&cat1=1&page=1

Jonathan

#3595 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,929 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:14

I was thrilled to 'spot and secure' an apparently good copy of Doug Nye's Jack Brabham book via one of the book search sites, from a bookshop in New South Wales for an excellent A$33.

My bragging is not the whole point, though. I just received a nice email from the bookseller advising that it's being mailed tomorrow, and his name... Peter Collins!

Neat. :cool:

#3596 mcerqueira

mcerqueira

• 150 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:09

Anybody read about the new "official" Mclaren book?

McLaren - The Cars

I got it on order, seems very nice!

#3597 David Kipling

David Kipling

• 65 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:04

:smoking: :up:
Okay, they ain't literature, but ---- 25 years on I still get a kick from reading
"AJ: MY LIFE AS AMERICA'S GREATEST RACE CAR DRIVER" by Foyt with William Neely writing.(Times Books 1983) It's a hoot, cornball language and all.

Even better are E.J.Potter's amazing tales, self-published as "MICHIGAN MADMAN". It's all there: his jet trike, his electric Austin 1100 drag sedan running on bare cables, his Allison engined Dodge station wagon, his "pet" jet engines and of course his line of mind-bending 'widowmaker' V-8 drag bikes. EJ writes up a storm, and has kept his text out of the hands of editors and proofreaders; a treat!
Posted Image

I got it by writing to EJ at PO Box 968, Vero Beach, Florida 32961. I'm sure it's around elsewhere, along with EJ's VCR of various dangerous creations and experiments.
:smoking: :up:

#3598 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:01

Is that a small block Chevy in the bike? Madman indeed...

#3599 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:24

Originally posted by mcerqueira
Anybody read about the new "official" Mclaren book?

McLaren - The Cars

I got it on order, seems very nice!

Yes it's certainly beautifully produced, but compared to Phil Kerr's quite superb 'To Finish First', which is more about the people than the cars, it's a bit sterile, in fact it reads like a Bonham's auction catalogue in places. For anyone with an interest in McLaren history, the Kerr book is a must. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the very best motor racing books published in recent years, though of course it's mainly about the days when McLarens were orange.

Which brings me to another point, something I've mentioned here before, why are all the older cars in the McLaren Collection painted the wrong shade of orange? I read somewhere that Ron Dennis is so keen on accuracy that he wouldn't sign off the McLaren book until he was 100% satisfied that they'd got everything right. Two cars from the Bruce and Denny days were on display at Goodwood with the book open at the relevant page on a stand alongside. The colour on the printed page was exactly as I remember it, but the M7 just wasn't quite the right colour, and neither was the M19 next to it. McLarens in their heyday just weren't moulded or painted in that bright an orange. I think Ron is older than me, so he ought to remember how they used to appear.

Advertisement

#3600 David Kipling

David Kipling

• 65 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 14:54

EJ Potter is and was a very smart backyard engineer and showman, in great demand by oil and gas companies to tinker the jet turbines they use in their pumping stations.

On his "Widowmaker" V-8 Chevy bikes he never went over 160mph in the quarter-mile, and used only narrow road rubber --- he estimated he had 40+mph of wheelspin on top of his track speed as he passed the top end lights.

BTW, after drag-racing a (bought-new) Dodge Dart station wagon with his Allison V-12 in the back for a year, he yanked the Allison, tidied the wagon up, re-installed the Dart motor, and TRADED IT BACK IN TO THE DEALER WHERE HE BOUGHT IT.

Try to grabn a copy of MICHIGAN MADMAN, sheer Yankee know-how gone berserk.