Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7924 replies to this topic

#3601 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:38

:wave: Being a Maserati fan , and having a book on your shelf , never read , only looking through for over a year (or 2?) seems nuts ?? I did :

Maserati Tipo 63-64-65 Birdcage to Supercage by Willem Oosthoek/Dalton Watson !

The more I look AND READ , the more fascinated I get. After the Monster thread I got fired up again , is there no end to these exciting Maseratis ? Oosthoek has done a faboulos job with this book ! If you dont have it , get one ! :smoking:

Advertisement

#3602 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 17:50

Does anyone have any information on the upcoming Ickx biography? In a Coterie Press catalogue I read last year the following:

'Legendary LM winner Jacky Ickx will become our next driver profile title. With words by author Johnny Tipler the story of Ickx's racing life will be presented in our usual stylish format illustrated with plenty of new photographic material."

"Due late 2007", it also read but we are already well passed beyond that date. I'm looking forward to this book, it's about time somebody wrote a decent bio about such a versatile racer.

#3603 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 20:12

...and the English version of Brothers Rodriguez was to have been out in May, as well.

Jack

#3604 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:20

I see that the 4th volume of the Wimpffen photo books is due in October

http://www.amazon.co...16329564&sr=8-1

#3605 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,521 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 21:37

Originally posted by Tom V
Does anyone have any information on the upcoming Ickx biography? In a Coterie Press catalogue I read last year the following:

'Legendary LM winner Jacky Ickx will become our next driver profile title. With words by author Johnny Tipler the story of Ickx's racing life will be presented in our usual stylish format illustrated with plenty of new photographic material."

"Due late 2007", it also read but we are already well passed beyond that date. I'm looking forward to this book, it's about time somebody wrote a decent bio about such a versatile racer.

Not even on Coterie's website now ....

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
...and the English version of Brothers Rodriguez was to have been out in May, as well.

Jack

Amazon UK are still quoting September, but Haynes don't seem to be that confident ....

#3606 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:02

Originally posted by PRD

During this years Le Mans 24H, Wimpffen was invited in the Eurosport booth, he told us the 4th volume would be available around end of august.

He also said he is working on a sort of successor to "Time and Two Seats", covering the last decade of sportscar racing.

#3607 Tom V

Tom V

• 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:03

Jack

indeed, this is getting ridiculous, it's been over a year since the english translation was first announced.

#3608 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 16:54

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Not even on Coterie's website now ....

Amazon UK are still quoting September, but Haynes don't seem to be that confident ....

Last I heard, several months ago...was that the English version was to be published by David Bull.

Jack.

#3609 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 16:56

Originally posted by PRD

Apparently Janos is intent upon impoverishing me! (Or at least occupying an inordinate amount of shelf space).

Jack

#3610 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 00:57

Two forthcoming books:

Jim Clark: Grand Prix Legend
Author: Tulloch, Andrew
Published: 2008
Binding: Hardcover
No. Pages: 240
Dimensions: 26 x 21
$79.95 Aust $
Link
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Castrol Six Hour Production Race - A Complete History 1970-1987
Author: Scaysbrook, Jim
Published: 2008
$69.95 Aust $
Link

#3611 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,128 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 18:25

Originally posted by D-Type
How good are the 'Formula 1 Legends series? I get the impression that they are competent potboilers erring on the shallow side, rather than being in-depth incisive books.

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003

I have the Ascari and Moss ones. They seem good to me. Over 150 pages each, lots of stats, and lots of photos I'd never seen before.

Vince H.

I just picked up the Ascari and Moss books today in a discount bookshop for £2 each.

They are certainly worth that, and actually have some really good pics in them.

Does anyone know how many they actually did (as I'll be keeping an eye on the shop from now on :lol: ).

There is a list of 15 titles in the Ascari one and looking around on Amazon etc there seems to be about 6 on sale, the ones in bold below. They are also in bold in the book. I guess this is all they printed.

Full list is.

1. Juan Manuel Fangio
2. Alberto Ascari
3. Stirling Moss
4. Jack Brabham
5. Jim Clark
6. Graham Hill
7. Jackie Stewart
8. Emerson Fittipaldi
9. Niki Lauda
10. Gilles Villeneuve
11. Nelson Piquet
12. Alain Prost
13. Ayrton Senna
14. Nigel Mansell
15. Michael Schumacher

#3612 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 20:38

I have just used the remainder of a Xmas gift voucher in WHS and got "Barry", the story of the cheeky cockney 500 World Champ by Steve Parrish and Nick Harris, and Eddie Jordan, An Independent Man,both in paperback. What I was really wondering though, is which of these to read 1st? However, today on my travels, I found a pristine, hardback copy of Alex Zanardi "my story" with Gianluca Gasparini, for the extortionate sum of £1.00 :eek: Now I am just plain confused as to which to read, although I feel a pull towards Barry, as I spent a lot of time listening about him from biker workmates, and watching his exploits on TV. I think it could be a toughie though as it starts with "The Final Lap" :cry:

#3613 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:13

read Barry and Alex and hide the Jordan book away in the bathroom in case you ever run out of toilet paper....

#3614 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 19:54

Originally posted by green-blood
read Barry and Alex and hide the Jordan book away in the bathroom in case you ever run out of toilet paper....

I have started with Barry, and it is excellent so far, especially now I have got past the "Final Chapter", very poignant, reminded me of my father's futile battle with cancer.

The Jordan book sounds so good, I must try not to be put off by your snapshot :lol: ........I fear you could be right though!

#3615 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 20:00

Originally posted by sterling49

The Jordan book sounds so good, I must try not to be put off by your snapshot :lol: ........I fear you could be right though!

Who was the ghostwriter on the Jordan book? If it's really that poor, lightweight would have been my guess, maybe he's the man we should blame. No chance that Eddie could ever have concentrated on anything for long enough to write it himself.

#3616 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,840 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 20:08

Originally posted by kayemod

Who was the ghostwriter on the Jordan book? If it's really that poor, lightweight would have been my guess, maybe he's the man we should blame. No chance that Eddie could ever have concentrated on anything for long enough to write it himself.

I looked hard....no one has put their name to it except Eddie, I picked it up in WHS quickly, as much to knowing he is a colourful character and that it should/would contain some amusing anecdotes.....and to use the voucher up, but there is no other names/credits except himself.....I wonder........do WHS do refunds? :lol:

stop press, thanks three people including Maurice Hamilton, for looking over his shoulder with the book and keeping him in check when required...................

#3617 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:54

The guy wouldn't know the truth it of siddled up to him in a leprachaun suit and hit him over the head with its crock of shi... gold. I loved what he achieved as one of the last true independents (and an irishman, we're proud of our over achievers) and I'll always be grateful for 97-99 and that beautiful 191...but the MAN, well :rolleyes:

Perhaps inaa few years somebody will write a top to tail story on Jordan GP and the illegitimate children it spawned - midland, spyker, Force India... maybe then we'll get the truth, the deals, the back stabbings, the drivers contacts (some great names on the Jordan list, F3000 and F1), why anyone would go with yamaha?

Its too soon now and people are still involved. I've heard Anderson and Louise Goodman speak about Jordan off the record and the stories are fantastical :cool:

#3618 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:09

> why anyone would go with yamaha?

That's simple enough. Yamaha wanted their engine in F1 and were willing to give it away free - Reynard had realised it had no grunt and generated a lot of heat, and it was yet another a nail in their F1 coffin. EJ was deeply in debt Cosworth and even though everyone knew the Yamaha was NBG it gave him some breathing space in '92...

#3619 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 15:10

Originally posted by green-blood
Its too soon now and people are still involved. I've heard Anderson and Louise Goodman speak about Jordan off the record and the stories are fantastical :cool: [/B]

Gary Anderson probably has a damn good book in him, along the lines of Jo Ramirez' excellent autobiography...

Advertisement

#3620 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 18:46

Originally posted by petefenelon

Gary Anderson probably has a damn good book in him, along the lines of Jo Ramirez' excellent autobiography...

Sorry Pete, right on the first bit, but I couldn't disagree more on the second part. I found the Joe Ramirez book interesting, but also rather sad, Pooterish even. It was written by an embittered man who'd spent much of his working life being dominated by a much stronger personality, and was seizing his chance, as he saw it, to get his own back. All in all, rather pathetic, a bit like biting the hand that had fed him at McLaren for so many years. I'd read so much about the man, probably Nigel Roebuck mostly, that I really expected Joe Ramirez to come across as a 'nice man', but he didn't at all. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but the book increased my respect for Ron Dennis, and diminished everything I'd read about Joe Ramirez, Ron 8 or 9, Joe nil. I knew a few of the people involved in the Fittipaldi part of the book, and Joe's version is very different from what they'd told me, which makes me doubt the accuracy of everything else. The whole thing had the feeling of a small boy ringing peoples' doorbells, then running away to view proceedings from a safe distance. Like I said, interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. A warts and all memoir from Gary Anderson on the other hand.....

#3621 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,901 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 20:41

For the first time ever, I think someone might have summed up a book better than Pete...

#3622 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,626 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 21:08

:wave: ....sounds like it ! :smoking:

#3623 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:28

> why anyone would go with yamaha?

That's simple enough. Yamaha wanted their engine in F1 and were willing to give it away free - Reynard had realised it had no grunt and generated a lot of heat, and it was yet another a nail in their F1 coffin. EJ was deeply in debt Cosworth and even though everyone knew the Yamaha was NBG it gave him some breathing space in '92...

yep...but then there was peugot, the hart stuff, more Ford messing and mugen/honda... just imagine the true stories about all those (to use the colloquial) shenanigans :p

#3624 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:41

Originally posted by David Beard
For the first time ever, I think someone might have summed up a book better than Pete...

Ah well, I'm getting soft in my old age ;P

I agree with kayemod that Jo's description of his departure from the team implies that Ron's behaviour can be very childish and petulant, but I don't think the book's a hatchet job on him... it's only when Jo decides to leave the team that Ron becomes the villain of the piece. And losing someone who'd been there that long must be like losing family... especially in an environment like McLaren which is famously somewhere people stay for a very long time.

#3625 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:29

Just found this new site (new for me at least ) called LibraryThing that allows me to finally catalog all my books where i can always get at the list, on the internet! I just started adding my books ... doing my travel books first, then books on books and my motorsport collection which I have not really ben adding too much to lately.

You can see my collection here: http://www.libraryth...ew=Dennis_David

Wow only 3000+ thousand more books to go!

#3626 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:29

Ah well, I'm getting soft in my old age ;P

I agree with kayemod that Jo's description of his departure from the team implies that Ron's behaviour can be very childish and petulant, but I don't think the book's a hatchet job on him... it's only when Jo decides to leave the team that Ron becomes the villain of the piece. And losing someone who'd been there that long must be like losing family... especially in an environment like McLaren which is famously somewhere people stay for a very long time.

No hard feelings I hope Pete, I'm not after your job, and I can't recall ever disagreeing seriously with one of your book opinions before. On that Joe Ramirez book though, I thought it had an annoying "I was right all along, but they wouldn't listen to me" streak running through it, petulant isn't the word I'm looking for, but I hope you get the idea. Ron Dennis doesn't get a good press quite a lot of the time. I don't know the man of course, but in some respects I think he could be compared with Colin Chapman, who I did know. Chapman was famously hard to get along with at times, and he sometimes didn't treat his minions too well, but he inspired respect and loyalty the like of which I've never seen elsewhere. I think the fact that as you say, McLaren employees are mostly very long term by the standards of the industry, says more about what Ron Dennis is really like than what came across to me as the mild whingeing of an ex-employee, who sometimes didn't get his own way, when he thought with the benefit of hindsight, that he should have done, and I'm not just thinking about the Ron Dennis/McLaren sections of the book here. I'm not trying to start an RD fanclub, but I know which of the two I'd sooner work for or follow into battle, and it isn't Joe Ramirez, though of course I have to admit that I haven't got much more than what I thought was a slightly disappointing book, to base that opinion on.

#3627 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,429 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 22:36

If no one objects, I would like to post a "want ad" here...

I would like to purchase a copy of:

Grand Tourisme-Porsche Racing History in Photographs Part I 1970-1975

Published by Petropics in a limited edition of 911.

If anyone can direct me to a copy I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Jack

#3628 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:56

Originally posted by Tom V
He also said he is working on a sort of successor to "Time and Two Seats", covering the last decade of sportscar racing.

Wonderful news!

Burt Levy was at the Kohler International Challenge at Elkhart Lake last weekend. For those keeping track, the fifth volume of "The Last Open Road" series of novels is due next spring. Early title: "The 200mph Steamroller."

#3629 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,222 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:06

Does anyone know if there is an onglaise version of this one....

Posted Image

#3630 duby

duby

• 189 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 17:48

hellow

there is a new book about the - silver arrows era -
Hitler's Motor Racing Battles: The Silver Arrows under the Swastika by Eberhard Reuss .

is there any one here heard about it ?

thanks
duby

#3631 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,752 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 17:58

It's been covered in the books thread, Duby. Start with this post and read on - you'll find a glowing review from Doug Nye. I'm part way through my copy at the moment, and so far I'm enjoying it very much.

#3632 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 22:08

Tommy Byrne's book with Mark Hughes is out the first week of September...

Posted Image

...and Chris Hilton's book 'Regga' is out later that month.

Posted Image

:up:

#3633 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,521 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 22:49

Originally posted by Tim Murray
It's been covered in the books thread, Duby. Start with this post and read on - you'll find a glowing review from Doug Nye. I'm part way through my copy at the moment, and so far I'm enjoying it very much.

On re-reading it - at least in part - I'm finding some minor quibbles once I cross-check a few things, but in general I stand by my previous comments.

As I've said before, I'm doing a revision of Unfinished Symphony to include some of Reuss' information. But watch this space ....;)

Changing the subject, I have ordered - sight unseen and on the author's reputation (not to mention his TNF participation) - Robert Barker's new limited edition (100 copies!) book on the Jersey Road Races. It was a "buy it now" on eBay, but I've no idea how many (few?) are left.

And changing it again ... has anybody bought the "new" Sammy Davis book? I've seen favourable reviews of it, but I'm somewhat loath to shell out for it if - like "A Racing Motorist" (1949) - it's just substantially another rehash of his 1932 book "Motor Racing".

#3634 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 488 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:50

I've just finished 'Freik - the Private Life of the Freikaiserwagen' by Rob and Hugh Dunsterville. A great little book which tells the story of and clears up misunderstandings about the building and development of this iconic Hill Climb Special. Makes a fine tribute to the team who designed, built and drove the beast.
Copies are available from the MAC at Shelsley Walsh (£15.00 inc p&p) :clap:

#3635 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,752 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:17

I also very much enjoyed 'Freik'. It's well written, and I think it's very fair in redressing the balance regarding the relative inputs into the original design of Hugh Dunsterville and Dick Caesar. I would have liked a bit more technical description - in particular the details of the final Iota-chassised version are very sparse. Otherwise highly recommended.

#3636 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:00

No hard feelings I hope Pete, I'm not after your job, and I can't recall ever disagreeing seriously with one of your book opinions before.

None taken! - I think both Jo and Ron are fairly complex characters (Ron particularly so!) and there's always going to be conflict between two people who think they know best!

I'm sure we'll get Ron's side of the story eventually - I hope when he finally decides to step down from leading McLaren he'll work with someone good to produce a full bio. The sheer amount he achieved at such a young age, and the length of time he's been at the top, should make it an unmissable epic. (Paging the man who wrote the definitive book on McLaren back in the 80s? ;P)

#3637 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:03

Originally posted by Twin Window
Tommy Byrne's book with Mark Hughes is out the first week of September...

...and Chris Hilton's book 'Regga' is out later that month.

:up:

Mark Hughes' style, Tommy's frankness (his posts here have been really eye-opening) and the time in which it's set should make that a bit of a cult classic, I'm looking forward to it. Will probably buy it sight unseen!

Have to reserve judgement on the Regga book - when Hilton's good he's very very good, but if he turns the leaden hand of his writing on contemporary racing to it... shudder. I hope he uses his historic zoom-lens and gives Clay the book he deserves - I reckon he's more than capable of it.

#3638 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 13:03

Originally posted by Vitesse2
On re-reading it - at least in part - I'm finding some minor quibbles once I cross-check a few things, but in general I stand by my previous comments.

As I've said before, I'm doing a revision of Unfinished Symphony to include some of Reuss' information. But watch this space ....

My copy finally arrived and I have started to read it. Having met and talked with Reuss last year at Fellbach, interesting to finally read the book. I had planned to buy the Reuss book while I was in Stuttgart at a bookstore near where I was staying, but the last copy on hand had been sold earlier that day! Then I found out it was going to be released in English and waited. A few quibbles here and there so far, but on the whole, pretty darn good, far better than most on this perios that gets into print. It should fill a niche for this era. The footnotes, as mentioned, are very good at providing information for those not as familiar with Germany at this time.

#3639 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 13:18

Have pre-ordered Hilton's book on Regga from Amazon but I wondered what exactly to expect.

My only previous experience with CH's writing was the book "Inside the Mind of a Grand Prix Driver" which I found seemed to wander all over the place. Was really wondering what to expect from this book?? Also, have considered purchasing his book on James Hunt. Are his driver biographies generally good?

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

LinC

Advertisement

#3640 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 13:53

Originally posted by vashlin
Have pre-ordered Hilton's book on Regga from Amazon but I wondered what exactly to expect.

My only previous experience with CH's writing was the book "Inside the Mind of a Grand Prix Driver" which I found seemed to wander all over the place. Was really wondering what to expect from this book?? Also, have considered purchasing his book on James Hunt. Are his driver biographies generally good?

His biographies of contemporary drivers are potboilers seemingly pieced together from press releases.

If you want a Hunt biography, go for the Gerry Donaldson one. His books on Hunt and Villeneuve (G) are superb.

#3641 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 14:21

His biographies of contemporary drivers are potboilers seemingly pieced together from press releases.

If you want a Hunt biography, go for the Gerry Donaldson one. His books on Hunt and Villeneuve (G) are superb.

That's what I was afraid they were and what I fear the book on Clay will be as well. :

Will look for the Donaldson books on Hunt and Villeneuve. I'd be interested in both of those.

Thanks.

LinC

#3642 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,276 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 14:23

Originally posted by vashlin

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

LinC

I've always regarded Christopher Hilton as a rather 'lightweight' author, almost all from passed on opinions and magazine reviews I have to admit, as I can't recall ever reading one of his earlier works. Then I saw a review of his biography of Nuvolari and knew I had to have it. I wasn't disappointed either, this is a very good piece of work, and it has been praised often enough in this thread. With this in mind, now we know what Hilton is capable of, there's reason to be optimistic about his forthcoming book on Reggazoni, so I hope he won't let us down.

#3643 vashlin

vashlin

• 323 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 14:34

I've always regarded Christopher Hilton as a rather 'lightweight' author, almost all from passed on opinions and magazine reviews I have to admit, as I can't recall ever reading one of his earlier works. Then I saw a review of his biography of Nuvolari and knew I had to have it. I wasn't disappointed either, this is a very good piece of work, and it has been praised often enough in this thread. With this in mind, now we know what Hilton is capable of, there's reason to be optimistic about his forthcoming book on Reggazoni, so I hope he won't let us down.

Yes, I had the same impression of him as a "lightweight" author for the same reason as you and wasn't sure what to expect. Guess there is hope for something more.

#3644 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 15:04

Working with Christopher Hilton on his Nuvolari book was an eye-opener; I came away from that experience with a very different feeling regarding Hilton than the one I began with. I have come to the personal belief that the "sausage books" fund his other efforts. I should be so lucky....

#3645 jumperjarier

jumperjarier

• 22 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 21:44

If no one objects, I would like to post a "want ad" here...

I

Grand Tourisme-Porsche Racing History in Photographs Part I 1970-1975

Published by Petropics in a limited edition of 911.

If anyone can direct me to a copy I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Jack

#3646 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,024 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 16:23

Originally posted by red stick
Burt Levy was at the Kohler International Challenge at Elkhart Lake last weekend. For those keeping track, the fifth volume of "The Last Open Road" series of novels is due next spring. Early title: "The 200mph Steamroller."

Mark:

I hope they hire an editor this time.

Automotive art fans should be aware of the new Geo Ham book, in French and English (Somogy editions d'art, editor Xavier Villebrun). Available from Amazon.fr, it contains a broad range of his work but not all of it. Some of the space devoted to pompous analysis could have been used for more art or more personal history of the artist, but it's enjoyable and essential for Ham collectors.

Another interesting poster-related book is Motor Movies, The Posters , by Paul Veysey. Nothing fancy, just a good look at old movie posters, many of them rare.

Frank

#3647 PRD

PRD

• 321 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 17:43

Originally posted by fbarrett

Automotive art fans should be aware of the new Geo Ham book, in French and English (Somogy editions d'art, editor Xavier Villebrun). Available from Amazon.fr, it contains a broad range of his work but not all of it. Some of the space devoted to pompous analysis could have been used for more art or more personal history of the artist, but it's enjoyable and essential for Ham collectors.

Frank

also available from

http://www.motors-ma...com/pc/home.asp

#3648 red stick

red stick

• 2,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 18:54

Originally posted by fbarrett

I hope they hire an editor this time.

:D

I didn't mind that Burt's last novel was long (more of it to love), but I hope the next one is considerably less, uh, epistolary. Let's get Buddy out of the office and out to the races!

#3649 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 845 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:25

Could someone perhaps comments on the following two items I am considering for purchase?

Tom Johnston, Westwood: Everyone's Favorite Racing Circuit, 2008

DVD, Racing Through Time: Great Circuits, 2008

#3650 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,184 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 13:53

Lightweight novels with a motor racing setting are few and far between. Novels with a credible motor racing setting are even rarer ("Bob Judd" included, some might say, despite his other abilities).
Janet Evanovich has written two "Alex Barnaby" novels with a NASCAR setting: "Metro Girl" and "Motor Mouth", the heroine having become the only female race "spotter" in the top NASCAR category by the second book.
Don't complain here if you think they are complete rubbish, just try and list how many bearable motor racing-themed novels you have found.

By the way, she begins the second book something along the lines of: "I was the only occupant of the special spotters' stand, high above the speedway, who was wearing a lacy pink thong...at least I hope I was".
That got your attention?