Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7760 replies to this topic

#3801 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 20:01

Sorry I haven't got much to say about books right now, though someday I will write something about Gérard Crombac's autobiography, as I promised months ago.
I have a couple of questions though:

I know this isn't exactly Nostalgia material, but I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Andy Priaulx's recently published autobiography?

I have seen, here and elsewhere, a lot of good things about The Lost Generation. However, I think I read somewhere that it has a picture of a decapitated Tom Pryce and I'm not really sure I want to see that. So is it really there and how graphic is it?

TIA

Advertisement

#3802 Coral

Coral

• 2,749 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 20:32

962C...you need not worry about The Lost Generation, it is an excellent book, one of the best motorsports books I have ever read, and I can assure you that there are no pictures at all of the body of Tom Pryce, or of the other two drivers it features. I thoroughly recommend it, although the subject matter is so sad, it had me in tears in several places.

I'm looking forward to reading your comments on Jabby Crombac's autobiography. I would love to read it but so far it is only available in French and my knowledge of French is sadly very limited!

#3803 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 21:32

Originally posted by Coral
962C...you need not worry about The Lost Generation, it is an excellent book, one of the best motorsports books I have ever read, and I can assure you that there are no pictures at all of the body of Tom Pryce, or of the other two drivers it features. I thoroughly recommend it, although the subject matter is so sad, it had me in tears in several places.

Coral's a girl. She's allowed to say that and not get mocked.

The rest of us just pretend it didn't do that ....

Buy it. :up:

#3804 Ren de Boer

Ren de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:18

Originally posted by 962C
I know this isn't exactly Nostalgia material, but I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Andy Priaulx's recently published autobiography?

I bought the book when I was at Brands Hatch for the DTM. It was quite nice to read, especially all the struggles he went through in the earlier days of his career. The more recent part I have been witnessing myself, having covered the ETCC and WTCC since the very beginning. What I miss in the book, to be honest, is an inside view of the situation among the various BMW teams, but that is probably something for a book in ten years' time.

Part of the book can be used by the Gurnsey Tourism Board for a promotional brochure - on every second page or so, you read something about Gurnsey and how nice it is there! Andy really loves the place and after reading it, I have decided that I must go there once myself, too!

Generally, worth reading, but you might want to wait until the paperback version is out.

#3805 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 14:26

Originally posted by Coral

I'm looking forward to reading your comments on Jabby Crombac's autobiography. I would love to read it but so far it is only available in French and my knowledge of French is sadly very limited!

I agree with Coral that this is an excellent, beautifully written book. Absolutely one of the best books on the subject of motorsport I've ever read. And I did shed some tears as well on occasion. In fact, it did take me quite a while to read through the entire book. But definitely worth the experience.

Lin

#3806 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 21:11

Please let me know if this has already been covered. It appears to be a wealth of information.

Henry

http://books.google....=result#PPA1,M1

#3807 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by 962C

I flicked through it a couple of times in bookshops to check if it was worth buying for coverage of his 1995 British Hillclimb Championship year (a max points score which I see as more impressive, against good opposition with not as exotic an engine as some others, than later racing exploits). I'm still looking for it....

#3808 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:58

Originally posted by vashlin

I agree with Coral that this is an excellent, beautifully written book. Absolutely one of the best books on the subject of motorsport I've ever read. And I did shed some tears as well on occasion. In fact, it did take me quite a while to read through the entire book. But definitely worth the experience.

Lin

I have just started re-reading "The Lost Generation",and can confirm that it gets better with each read.

#3809 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:39

New book:

Sport et Prototypes 1970 - 1979

Archives photos des années 1970 - 79, traduction en Français du livre de Paul Parker (ed. Haynes). Editions du Palmier. 2008. Livre tout en couleur de 256 pages format 220 x 280. Couverture cartonnée. LIVRE NEUF

40 € (Euro)

Link

Looks like it is a French translation/reprint of "Sports Car Racing In Camera 1970-1979" (which is still not out in the USA).

#3810 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:54

Another "new" book:

André Pisart
Pilote Chenard et Walker

Grandeur et décadence de l automobile européenne (1929-1939)
par André Pisart. Texte original de 1946. Reédition par les éditions du Palmier. 2008. Livre de 128 pages format 210 x 270. LIVRE NEUF

24 € (Euro)

Link

#3811 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:21

Friends:

Hershey Swap Meet Book Report: Not Much!

Hardly any worthwhile books have been found during the past two sunny daze at the perennial Hershey swap meet. The only new book of interest presented was a fresh history of Franklin, published by the eponymous club. The usual new and used book vendors seem to have abandoned Hershey since my last visit about 10 years ago. Only Bruce Perry at Yellow Dog Garage had anything interesting to offer, including a good selection of back-issue magazines. Still, I heard plenty of British and European accents, so the event remains attractive, at least for buyers of parts and cars. Book and magazine prices seemed quite fair, so now's the time to mine the American market!

At a celebration of the late Beverly Rae Kimes' life, on Wednesday night, she was rightly and repeatedly praised for her excellent work and her warm personality. Man, we miss that woman!

Frank

#3812 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:42

Originally posted by fbarrett
the eponymous club

To join, do you have to own an eponymous or just be an eponymous enthusiast?

Jack :wave:

#3813 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:35

Thanks to everyone who replied about The Lost Generation. It's on my shopping list now.

#3814 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:41

Originally posted by René de Boer

I bought the book when I was at Brands Hatch for the DTM. It was quite nice to read, especially all the struggles he went through in the earlier days of his career. The more recent part I have been witnessing myself, having covered the ETCC and WTCC since the very beginning. What I miss in the book, to be honest, is an inside view of the situation among the various BMW teams, but that is probably something for a book in ten years' time.

Part of the book can be used by the Gurnsey Tourism Board for a promotional brochure - on every second page or so, you read something about Gurnsey and how nice it is there! Andy really loves the place and after reading it, I have decided that I must go there once myself, too!

Generally, worth reading, but you might want to wait until the paperback version is out.

Thanks for your comments. This may not be the place to discuss it, but I think you raise a valid point about the situation between the different BMW teams. I remember a Macau race (can't remember if it's 2005 or 2006) when Priaulx beat a Schnitzer driver to the title and I thought Dr. Theissen didn't look too happy (on TV that is)

#3815 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by Mark A
Does anyone know when the new Janos Wimpffen book will hit UK stores?

According to Amazon I should be getting it today or tomorrow, unlikely I think as none of the UK shops is advertising stock.

Monocoques & Ground Effects is due next month, but Brothers Rodriguez is now scheduled for 2009 according to an e-mail from Motor Books today

#3816 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 00:59

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

To join, do you have to own an eponymous or just be an eponymous enthusiast?

Jack :wave:

Jack:

It's kinda like the Denbeigh Owner's Club: you need only buy Bruce McCall a martini.

Frank

#3817 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:48

Originally posted by fbarrett

Jack:

It's kinda like the Denbeigh Owner's Club: you need only buy Bruce McCall a martini.

Frank

One day over tea we'll need to debate the merits of the Denbeigh Super Chauvinist Mk. VII, one of the most underrated and misunderstood of any automobile which was never actually built.

And I'd welcome the opportunity to buy Bruce McCall a martini.

Jack.

#3818 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:02

Originally posted by PRD

Monocoques & Ground Effects is due next month, but Brothers Rodriguez is now scheduled for 2009 according to an e-mail from Motor Books today

Hortons had a stock of Monocoques and Ground Effects at Goodwood - they had them flown in from Hong Kong whereas apparently other booksellers are having them delivered by surface transport. They might still have some - and the book is right up to the standard of the previous three volumes.

#3819 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 17:30

Originally posted by PRD
but Brothers Rodriguez is now scheduled for 2009 according to an e-mail from Motor Books today

This book is about a year behind its originally announced release date. I wonder what the problem is.

Jack

Advertisement

#3820 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:45

This book is about a year behind its originally announced release date. I wonder what the problem is.

Jack

Jack:

It could be a recalcitrant author, but knowing the publisher, David Bull, the book will undoubtedly be better for the extra time invested. No book project is ever as simple as it first appears, and all books benefit from more effort. A good writer understands that he or she is only going to have one chance at a given subject, so he or she wants to get it right. A good publisher allows them to do so. What was that 1960s song, "Anticipation"?

Frank

#3821 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:58

Wasn't it 'Multiplication'? :)

#3822 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,216 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:26

Jack

Copyright clearance for photos?

#3823 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:32

For those interested in early post War road racing in the US, I recommend
WATKINS GLEN RACING Images of Sports, by Kirk House and Charles Mitchell.
Included are over 230 b&w photos, many from the IMRRC archives and
Bill Green's collection.
For more information visit the IMRRC website at www.racingarchives.org

#3824 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 16:48

Here is the E-Book Reader

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook

http://www.whsmith.c...&keyword=ebooks

This presumably is one of the places where you can down load them on to your reader

http://www.ebooks.com/

#3825 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 473 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 17:20

I am enjoying "Silver Arrows in Camera" by Anthony Pritchard. Putting together the text and photographs was quite a struggle for Anthony but the result is well worthwhile. With contributions from Daimler Benz and Audi Heritage along with the Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo, Centro Documentazione not to mention the Spitzley/Zagari Collection, the Klemantaski Collection and LAT images make it difficult to concentrate on the text.....

Very diverting, it is stopping me getting on with things.  ;)

#3826 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 22:20

The Immortal 2.9!!! Got an e-mail from Simon Moore today. The new edition will be available from Parkside as of 25November. Price is (gulp) US$295 for the standard edition - US$395 for leather slipcased, signed and numbered edition, shipping included. We've been waiting a long time for this, and there has been much learned since the first edition. It sounds to me like a better place for my money than the equities market (G).

Woody

#3827 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 16:40

I had a gift voucher at Veloce and have been waiting for the Porsche 1953-75 book . It came today , and just looking through it I am not dissappointed. Many pictures I have never seen , and before you ask even a couple of pics with transporters amongst the 600. Allthough not glazed paper , good quality , but the price is too high I think. But all raising nowadays ?

#3828 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,448 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 16:50

I have the Legendary 2.3 so I guess I'll have to get the Immortal 2.9 as well. :p More bracing for my bookshelf.

#3829 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 16:19

Woody, I just noticed the first edition of the 2.9 book originally sold for $120 -- I had forgotten how much fine books cost even in 1992!

#3830 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 22:10

Mark,

I recall that the original price was about half that. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't paying $100 plus for books in those days. I do remember that I pre-ordered the book from Parkside's brochure, and that it was a long time from then to delivery. I was beginning to wonder if the offer was a scam. It did arrive, and I'm glad that my copy still resides on the bookshelf. Coincidentally, the Parkside brochure for the new edition arrived today and, yes, I'll order one of the new books.

Woody

#3831 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 16:53

Woody, I thought the price would have been less than that. I see my purchase was years after the date of publication, perhaps the price went up. I bought it from "Shelby's Dad" who sold quality in-print automotive titles at a modest discount -- he may not have been discounting this one! And Parkside may not have had wholesale pricing, they do not yet for the new 2.9 book.

#3832 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:44

Porsche Sixty Years ...any opinions yet?

Jack.

#3833 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,331 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 18:30

Just saw a pilot copy of the Tony Bailey and Paul Skilleter tome on Mike Hawthorn - 'Golden Boy'. I couldn't study it in great detail but it looks outstanding - in the same mould as the Norman Dewis volume, but of infinitely greater significance. I think TNFers will adore it...and so would have poor Pete...

For more detail study Tony's website at <www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk>. You shouldn't be disappointed.

DCN

#3834 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 18:37

A Mike Hawthorn book and a Peter Collins book, both out this year.

Whoopee, roll on Christmas.

#3835 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:54

A new book in German on Bernd Rosemeyer:

Bernd Rosemeyer: Die Schicksalsfahrt (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Peter Kirchberg (Herausgeber)
# Gebundene Ausgabe: 231 Seiten
# Verlag: Delius Klasing (Oktober 2008)
# Sprache: Deutsch
# ISBN-10: 3768825051
# ISBN-13: 978-3768825054
# Größe und/oder Gewicht: 24,4 x 21,8 x 2,4 cm

Link

#3836 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:00

A new book in German on the Porsche 906:

Porsche 906 (Gebundene Ausgabe) von Jürgen Barth (Autor), Ulrich Trispel (Autor)

# Gebundene Ausgabe: 400 Seiten
# Verlag: Motorbuch Verlag; Auflage: 1 (6. November 2008)
# Sprache: Deutsch
# ISBN-10: 3613029618
# ISBN-13: 978-3613029613

Link

#3837 RTH

RTH

• 5,727 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 20:51

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Just saw a pilot copy of the Tony Bailey and Paul Skilleter tome on Mike Hawthorn - 'Golden Boy'. I couldn't study it in great detail but it looks outstanding - in the same mould as the Norman Dewis volume, but of infinitely greater significance. I think TNFers will adore it...and so would have poor Pete...

For more detail study Tony's website at <www.mike-hawthorn.org.uk>. You shouldn't be disappointed.

DCN

I have just been told that the book was launched at Brooklands today with the authors and Murray walker in attendance

#3838 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:34

Originally posted by RTH

I have just been told that the book was launched at Brooklands today with the authors and Murray walker in attendance

Thanks gents. The book wasn't actually launched at Brooklands though - we were there filming with a BBC crew for a slot in The One Show on Nov 3rd at 7pm. Brooklands was a convenient place to take Tim Ely's Ulster Imp he bought from Mike's mum in 1959 since Mike mentions how awed he was when taken to the track by his Dad as a young boy. So it was up and down under the Member's bridge with the film crew and Ulster Imp. Have to say Murray was brilliant the whole day - we also went to the crash site, the grave (where Murray did a short piece) and Farnham Museum for an interview next to Mike's display. Also a quick look at the old TT premises and inside the original hop kiln at Murray's request. On their way back with Murray, they were going to drop in at Goodwood to shoot next to the statue of Mike and Lofty, would have been very wet by then though.

I can post some photos of the day if anyone wants to see them.

It's a four minute or so slot only unless, of course, some high up in the BBC decides it's a waste of time and cancels it.... Or maybe likes it so much it gets a longer slot - they must have shot several hours of material.

The actual book launch is on November 20th in Farnham (bulk books due about 10 days before), split into press, public and an evening JEC club meeting. I'll post details shortly once we have finalised them and they'll also be on the Tribute web site.

#3839 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,670 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:25

Originally posted by tonyb
I can post some photos of the day if anyone wants to see them.

Yes please, Tony

Advertisement

#3840 Rob

Rob

• 8,171 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:55

Does anyone know if/when Snakes and Devils will be available in Europe? Amazon UK say 1 June 2008 and no more information which is not particularly helpful.

#3841 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:29

Okay here are some pics from Monday 20th October. Weather was lousy as forecast although the heavy rain held off until we were leaving West Street Cemetery. Someone must have been looking after us....

Posted Image
Tim giving the suspension of Mike's Riley Ulster Imp some testing on the banking by the Members' Bridge
with the film crew running alongside

Posted Image
Murray talks to Charlie Barton, landlord of the Barley Mow at Tilford, one of Mike's favourite haunts

Posted Image
Tim and Murray again

Posted Image
this one's self explanatory...

Posted Image
Tim waiting for instructions ...

Posted Image
Murray with the film crew ...

Posted Image
and asking a pertinent question

Posted Image
Murray with Nigel Webb's recreation of Mike's 1955 Le Mans winning D-type

Posted Image
and the D by the Malcolm Campbell building

Posted Image
Nigel again with his superb recreation of Mike's Jaguar Mk 1

Posted Image
and another distance shot of the Mk1

Posted Image
Nigel chats to Murray

Posted Image
That's me debating a question from Murray...

Posted Image
Tim Ely kindly sent me this one of the interview in the Farnham Museum (poor light hence the movement problem)
- the display of Mike's material is behind us

Posted Image
The group at the site besides the A3 outside Guildford where Mike died

Posted Image
and the cameraman tries a dice of his own with the fast-moving traffic

Posted Image
Finally, Murray says a few words by Mike's grave for the camera

Posted Image
The flowers are changed every fortnight without fail

#3842 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,392 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 16:19

Very nice.

Thanks.

jack

#3843 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 17:17

every time i see the ad in the last 2 or 3 issue of Motorsport about the 50th anniversary of LOLA , it remind me how its absurd and incredible that nobody did a book for the occasion

#3844 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:54

Originally posted by philippe charuest
every time i see the ad in the last 2 or 3 issue of Motorsport about the 50th anniversary of LOLA , it remind me how its absurd and incredible that nobody did a book for the occasion

It is my understanding that Lorrie Coffey, who did that fine Elio DeAngelis book, has one in the works.
Tom

#3845 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:14

I have a bunch of books for sale , but as postage is very high from Denmark , I wonder if any of you might be going to Denmark and then to Britain by car in the future. Or perhaps know someone to do it ? We could make a deal ? please contact me at : kjerbjoern@hotmail.com

PS. Yes, I know we have a sales thread , but thought this to be....................

#3846 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,318 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:29

Originally posted by RA Historian
It is my understanding that Lorrie Coffey, who did that fine Elio DeAngelis book, has one in the works.

Yes indeed - see her earlier thread:

Lola photographs wanted for project

#3847 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:33

Originally posted by philippe charuest

The usual reason I expect, EB's refusal to help, but maybe he's mellowing with age, I hope so.

On that Lola ad, I found the choice of cars slightly surprising, why no T260, the factory's most serious CanAm effort?

#3848 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 17:05

Noticed a few new books coming out:

One Off The roads, The races, The Automobiles of Toly Arutunoff
264 pages Coming in January. Bet this will be a wonderful read.

Motor Racing at Nassau in the 1950s & 1960s by Terry O'Neil
96 pages. One of the "Those were the days..." picture books.

Rolt and Bira The forgotten Stars by Neville Hay
204 pages and coming in November.

Michael

#3849 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 18:23

Originally posted by bradbury west
Veloce say a 45% discount on current titles through October supply, for sales on line, or via the telephone.
http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/index.php?
scroll down to the choice of topics and find motorsport, Usual disclaimer
Roger Lund.

Works Rally Mechanic now out of stock, possible reprint later.
RL

#3850 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 16:42

And another book by Karl Ludvigsen coming out next year
with a July 2009 release time frame:

Colin Chapman: Innovation Unlimited
208 pages
$50

Michael