Posted 24 October 2008 - 19:13

Originally posted by MichaelM
And another book by Karl Ludvigsen coming out next year
with a July 2009 release time frame:

Colin Chapman: Innovation Unlimited
208 pages
$50

Michael

This one should definitely be worth the wait!

Advertisement

#3852 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 23:37

It's getting to be Christmas and beyond...

New books:
Memories of Ronnie Peterson
Friends, associates and fans remember racing legend Ronnie Peterson
Tomas Hagg
2008; 140pg; Hardbound with jacket; In English
€ 27.50
Link
Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans (Hardcover)
by A.J. Baime (Author)
288 pages, Publisher: Houghton Mifflin (June 9, 2009); Language: English
Link
Indianapolis Motor Speedway: 100 Years of Racing (Hardcover)
by Ralph Kramer (Author)
256 pages; Krause Publications (April 8, 2009); English
Link
and a link to a good source of US racing books.

#3853 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:22

Originally posted by MichaelM
And another book by Karl Ludvigsen coming out next year
with a July 2009 release time frame:

Colin Chapman: Innovation Unlimited
208 pages
$50

Michael

Coming from Karl Ludvigsen it should be good, but it's hard to see how it could improve on Hugh Haskell's 1993 work 'Colin Chapman - Lotus Engineering.' Has anyone noticed how much this book is priced at on AbeBooks and eBay? I've seen people asking £750 for a slightly used copy.

#3854 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:34

Friends:

Just a note to let you know that Karl Ludvigsen's [I]Ferdinand Porsche: Genesis of Genius[I] is about to go out of print. Published by Robert Bentley with the cooperation of the Piech family, this amazing history of his days from 1900 to 1933 was limited to just 500 copies. I'm only about halfway through it, but I can say that it is truly a great new insight into the influences of Porsche's early work--with Lohner, Austro-Daimler, Daimler-Benz, Auto Union, and Wanderer--on the cars that later carried his own name. Highly recommended as an historical reference, and no doubt a future collector's item.

Frank

#3855 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 14:25

Friends:
Just a note to let you know that Karl Ludvigsen's [I]Ferdinand Porsche: Genesis of Genius[I] is about to go out of print. Published by Robert Bentley with the cooperation of the Piech family, this amazing history of his days from 1900 to 1933 was limited to just 500 copies. I'm only about halfway through it, but I can say that it is truly a great new insight into the influences of Porsche's early work--with Lohner, Austro-Daimler, Daimler-Benz, Auto Union, and Wanderer--on the cars that later carried his own name. Highly recommended as an historical reference, and no doubt a future collector's item.

Frank

With no disrespect intended, its already a collectors item.... its priced out of most people's league.

Any word on a paperback :rotfl:

#3856 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 18:42

Originally posted by green-blood

With no disrespect intended, its already a collectors item.... its priced out of most people's league.

Yes, it is expensive. I can't speak for the publisher, but as a bookseller and collector, I can assure you that like many excellent limited-edition books, this one will only increase in value.

Frank

#3857 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 20:52

While it is always nice to see a book go up in value (after you've purchased
it of course), it is seldom if ever a determining factor in buying a book.

Despite the high price, Genesis of Genius is worth it at its list price.

Speaking of price, I noticed that Collector Car Books is having a 40% off
out of print (and 20% off new) books as they have lost their lease and
are relocating early 2009.

Michael

#3858 jumperjarier

jumperjarier

• 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 21:20

Originally posted by fbarrett
Friends:

Frank

where can I otain a copy, have tried the usual uk motorsport booksellers

#3859 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 21:27

Jumper:

Because there was zero discount for booksellers, very few are handling the book. I'm in the US, so I don't know where it is sold in the UK, but check with Bentley Publishers (www.bentleypublishers.com), and maybe they can tell you. They can also sell you a copy, but shipping over the water will not be inexpensive.

Frank

Advertisement

#3860 jumperjarier

jumperjarier

• 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 22:16

thank you for your help Frank

#3861 Rob

Rob

• 8,133 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 13:20

Originally posted by Rob
Does anyone know if/when Snakes and Devils will be available in Europe? Amazon UK say 1 June 2008 and no more information which is not particularly helpful.

Bit of a coincidence, but Amazon UK have just emailed me to say it's now in stock. :up:

#3862 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:12

Hi , my version of Arron & Hughes THE COMPLETE BOOK OF FORMULA ONE is from 2003 . Has there been an updated version with newer pics or perhaps filling holes ? I also see it has been published by Motorbuch Verlag in Germany with a bit more pages (520) but you never know if it is the same?

#3863 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 22:56

For Bjørn and anyone else who might be interested:

There is an updated version of the Hughes/Arron 'Complete Book...'

It is essentially just an extension of the original tome. Mark and I were not consulted about the second edition, so the additional chapters (post-2003, if memory serves) were sourced elsewhere. I know it still has our names on the front, but we didn't write any of the new bits.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
SA

#3864 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,870 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 23:12

Autosport was not kind about the new bits...apparently there are lots of errors, not least some of the spellings.

#3865 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 16:41

Finally, after at least three years in production, the first history of Langhorne raceway will be published next month:

Langhorne! - No Man's Land by L. Spencer Riggs

Hardbound, smythe sewn, 560 pages, 1,000+ photos including 32 pages of color, 8 1/2" x 11"

$75.00

Link

Link #2

#3866 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 16:52

Well, that sounds promising! Can't wait to lay my hands on a copy... :smoking:

#3867 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 19:48

I bought a new book today, published by Haynes, called "The Book of Formula 1 Top Tens", by Roger Smith. As the title suggests, it is a simple but enjoyable book of F1 stats, and I suspect that many people will find a copy of it in their Christmas stocking..

#3868 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 20:16

Could be a subject for discussion compared with his Analysing Formula 1 ?

#3869 drivers71

drivers71

• 297 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:59

Christopher Hilton's long-awaited 'The extraordinary two lives of Clay Regazzoni' (Publisher Haynes) is now available. Apparently Father Christmas is bringing one for me.
RRP is £35.00 but Amazon currently have it at £25.00.
I've been disappointed by the few books I've seen about Clay in the past, so I'm hoping this one will be better.

#3870 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 13:22

Hi Rich.

The Rega book is not due out here in the U.S. until Dec. 1. Original release date was Oct. 16.
Don't know the reason for the delay. Hope it is worth waiting for. But I wonder.... :confused: Have not see anything about it pro or con, so far.

Lin

#3871 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,165 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 16:39

JYS's autobiography, complete with DVD, selling for £3.99 in a local branch of The Works today.

#3872 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 20:43

Originally posted by vashlin
Hi Rich.

The Rega book is not due out here in the U.S. until Dec. 1. Original release date was Oct. 16.
Don't know the reason for the delay. Hope it is worth waiting for. But I wonder.... :confused: Have not see anything about it pro or con, so far.

Lin

Yes, I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has read the book. I have been considering whether to buy it or not. Christopher Hilton's last few "historical" books have been good.

#3873 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:59

The new edition of Simon Moore's "The Immortal 2.9" has broken cover:

Link

#3874 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:46

Originally posted by RS2000
JYS's autobiography, complete with DVD, selling for £3.99 in a local branch of The Works roday.

Although the book received mixed reviews when it was originally published, that is seriously good value!

#3875 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 14:40

Mike Hawthorn Book
copies of this wonderful book the third in a series from Paul Skilleter PJ Publishing will be here in Australia as of wednesday 12th November 2008.
visit www.paulskilleter.com or email tmcgrath@bigpond.com
terry mcgrath

Thanks gents. The book wasn't actually launched at Brooklands though - we were there filming with a BBC crew for a slot in The One Show on Nov 3rd at 7pm. Brooklands was a convenient place to take Tim Ely's Ulster Imp he bought from Mike's mum in 1959 since Mike mentions how awed he was when taken to the track by his Dad as a young boy. So it was up and down under the Member's bridge with the film crew and Ulster Imp. Have to say Murray was brilliant the whole day - we also went to the crash site, the grave (where Murray did a short piece) and Farnham Museum for an interview next to Mike's display. Also a quick look at the old TT premises and inside the original hop kiln at Murray's request. On their way back with Murray, they were going to drop in at Goodwood to shoot next to the statue of Mike and Lofty, would have been very wet by then though.

I can post some photos of the day if anyone wants to see them.

It's a four minute or so slot only unless, of course, some high up in the BBC decides it's a waste of time and cancels it.... Or maybe likes it so much it gets a longer slot - they must have shot several hours of material.

The actual book launch is on November 20th in Farnham (bulk books due about 10 days before), split into press, public and an evening JEC club meeting. I'll post details shortly once we have finalised them and they'll also be on the Tribute web site.

#3876 JohnS

JohnS

• 295 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 23:23

Originally posted by COUGAR508

Although the book received mixed reviews when it was originally published, that is seriously good value!

Well, it needed a good editor! The chapters on racing are good, but (from memory) there are chapters on his dogs and on King Hussein of Jordan!!

#3877 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:03

Originally posted by JohnS

Well, it needed a good editor! The chapters on racing are good, but (from memory) there are chapters on his dogs and on King Hussein of Jordan!!

On reflection, perhaps JYS should have done two separate books, one on his racing career (which would have been excellent), and one on his life after retirement from racing.

#3878 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:04

Well, that's the problem: who would have bought the second one? He needed the racing bit to tote the stuff that was really close to his heart...

#3879 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 20:07

Originally posted by fines
Well, that's the problem: who would have bought the second one? He needed the racing bit to tote the stuff that was really close to his heart...

That was part of the problem. He almost gave the impression in the book that his racing career was merely a prelude to his business and media achievements. It almost did not feel like a biography of a racing driver.

Advertisement

#3880 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 21:19

Originally posted by JohnS
Well, it needed a good editor!

How often we've all heard that comment about an automotive book! I sell books, and after 25 years of automotive editing experience, I can determine the editing quality (and the ease of reading) of a new book by skimming just a paragraph, and sometimes just a sentence. I'll even offer my services to any automotive book publisher reading this!

Frank
Toad Hall Motorbooks
Lakewood, Colorado
303/237-0911

#3881 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 22:01

:clap: Finally!

After ordering it back in July Amazon have informed me that Wimpffen book 4 is on the way!

#3882 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 22:01

Just a note to say that the Mike Hawthorn "Golden Boy" book stock has arrived from the printers on schedule and is now in stock with its various distributors in the UK, USA and Australia.

The official launch is also confirmed in Farnham on the 20th November - should be an interesting day for those that are coming. Details of everything are on the Tribute web site. Thanks for the TNF support.

#3883 roger ellis

roger ellis

• 142 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 16:34

I have recently spotted the 2 new K Ludvigsen "Racing Colours" books - "British Racing Green" & "Italian Racing Red" & after a quick scan through, I have added them both to my Christmas list. They appeared to be beautifully produced with an attractive dust jacket design reminiscent of the old "Profile" part series.

The "Green" edition not only covers the obvious makes like Lotus & Vanwall but has earlier examples such as Napier and Sunbeam as well, whilst "Red" has a healthy sprinkling of Etceterinis amongst the Maseratis & Ferraris.

Apparently 2 further editions are due in the summer of 2009 - "French Racing Blue" & "German Racing Silver".

I can't wait!

#3884 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,870 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 16:44

I await "Belgian Racing Yellow". An in-depth investigation into the Nagant and ENB.

#3885 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 17:04

What? No Pipe? The Gordon-Bennett car was certainly amongst the most interesting cars of its period!!! And don't forget the Kaiserpreis Minerva... wasn't the interesting Excelsior Belgian, too?

#3886 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,870 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 17:12

Originally posted by fines
What? No Pipe?

Ceci n'etait pas un Pipe.

#3887 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 17:21

Oh yes, now that you remind me of the Belgian three-and-a-half-stroke Magritte... wasn't it basically a bicycle added to a Pipe?

#3888 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,870 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 17:57

Then there was that French impression of a Group C2 racer, the Toulouse Lotec.

#3889 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:35

The latest Palawan catalog has arrived and while it has spared me big bucks
for the moment, 4 new books have been announced to be forthcoming:

The Aston Martin DB4GT by Damen Bennion

The Post-War Frazer Nash by James Trigwell and Anthony Pritchard

Grand Mercedes: 600, 6.3, 6.9 by Martin Buckley (the Uberwagens!)

Racers by Anthony Pritchard (Over 50 mainly british drivers from 50's,60's,70's showcased)

No pricing or date of release given yet.

Start saving now...

Michael

#3890 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 17:31

now im like the rest of the planet in bankrupty, i finnaly order on the net the chris nixon book "racing the the silver arrows "(1989 reprint ) , and in the new book the "walt hansgen "by argetsinger and "to finish first" by phil kerr. does someone know if theres plan to reprint " american sports car racing in the 1950s" by lynch &co originally published by motorbooks

#3891 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by Mark A
:clap: Finally!

After ordering it back in July Amazon have informed me that Wimpffen book 4 is on the way!

Got mine from Chaters last week. I can safely say that it lives up to the reputation of the other three picture books and TATS its self.

#3892 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 22:21

I believe there may be a photo or two of mine in there, PRD. Am I right?

Photos included with permission, of course.

#3893 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 13:09

Originally posted by Barry Boor

I'll have to check that out!

#3894 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 17:29

Originally posted by PRD

I'll have to check that out!

Barry, Janos mentions you on his acknowledgements page.

So far I haven't spotted any individual photos credited to you.

Cheers

Paul

#3895 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 18:46

I am looking forward to getting the new edition of Simon Moore's "The Immortal 2.9" book. If enough like minded people commit soon, I can provide three or four copies at a $45 discount from the suggested US list price of $295. (Plus USPS mailing at cost from California). Book is due after first week in December. PM or email managerATbrownfoxbooks.com
Mark Godfrey

#3896 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 20:45

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Found one.

Picture of the Alba & Nimrod Aston Martin at Brands Hatch in 1983 (page 97).

#3897 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 21:51

:love:

#3898 Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

• 65 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:47

Just about counts as a book... Autosport's Grand Prix Greats at £7.99 is tremendous value. What you get is 25 race reports from Autosport, each featuring a driver. Some are obvious choices 'Fangio at the Nurburgring in 1957' but some others less so. The words are re-printed but with modern graphics and pictures from LAT. Alll in all nicely done and well worth the money. My personal favourite is Gregor Grant's breathless account of Mike Hawthorn winning the 1953 French Grand Prix.

#3899 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:33

Originally posted by Paul Jeffrey
Just about counts as a book... Autosport's Grand Prix Greats at £7.99 is tremendous value. What you get is 25 race reports from Autosport, each featuring a driver. Some are obvious choices 'Fangio at the Nurburgring in 1957' but some others less so. The words are re-printed but with modern graphics and pictures from LAT. Alll in all nicely done and well worth the money. My personal favourite is Gregor Grant's breathless account of Mike Hawthorn winning the 1953 French Grand Prix.

Yes, I have bought that one too. Like you, I was interested by some of the choices of races covered. Not the automatic selections, and this is unusual for that type of publication. Great photographs, and all-in-all very much recommended.

Advertisement

#3900 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:17

Originally posted by Paul Jeffrey

Sorry Paul, are you talking about this book: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/086024976X ?