Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7776 replies to this topic

#3901 Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

• 65 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 17:33

I think it is the same one but you can get it from newsagents (in the UK). i got mine from WHS on victoria station.

Advertisement

#3902 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 17:56

Yes it does look like the same one. I bought mine from WH Smiths too.

#3903 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:31

Originally posted by COUGAR508
Yes it does look like the same one. I bought mine from WH Smiths too.

Me too, got mine today at WHS and it looks good. first thing I did was check the races they covered, and as soon as I saw that Gilles Villeneuve's Spanish win (dullest race I'd ever watched - up to that point) and Mansell beating Piquet at Silverstone (one of the most over-rated passes of recent times in my opinion, but I know I'm in a minority here), I knew I had to have it. The races featured all look like good choices to me.

#3904 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:02

And another thing. While in WHS this morning, I had a quick browse around, and spotted a new book by Terry Lovell, Bernie Ecclestone - King of Sport. This was a bit of a surprise, I don't recall having seen it advertised or mentioned anywhere, so I had a quick leaf through. At first glance it appears to be little more than a re-hashed version of the same Author's Bernie's Game from a few years ago with a bit more tacked on the end, any comments from anyone else who has seen it? The late Pete Fenelon's review of the earlier book on Amazon is a good summing up, wouldn't we all love to know what Pete would have thought about this one?

When Bernie's Game eventually surfaced, apparently several years later than intended, stories were going round implying that His Bernieness had been trying to get it stopped, not too sure why as it's rather less unflattering than much else I've seen in print about the man. Finally, isn't Mrs Syd Watkins said to have been labouring on some kind of Bernie approved 'Authorised Version' of his biography for the last ten years? I bet that won't shed any new light on the little man's dodgy dealings over the years.

#3905 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:07

I had also seen the new "Bernie book". However, the recent political and financial goings-on in F1 do not really interest me, and given the title of the book, I imagine that there is plenty of coverage of his recent involvement with Queen's Park Rangers?

#3906 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:41

I had also seen the new "Bernie book". However, the recent political and financial goings-on in F1 do not really interest me, and given the title of the book, I imagine that there is plenty of coverage of his recent involvement with Queen's Park Rangers?

As I said, I only gave it a quick flick through, but that's what it looked like, Bernie's Game with some football stuff tacked onto the end. I think that one will be staying off my Christmas list.

#3907 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 13:32

Actually, to express a minority opinion, it may be of benefit to those following us that there is some attention being paid to the politics and financial goings-on in racing. That this area gets scant mention for most of racing timespan, especially in the decades following WW2, has deprived many of the vital pieces of context as to many of the events that took place. I have not seen the book in question, but there is still much to be told of the inner workings of formula 1 since the F1CA quietly came into being during the winter of 1963/64.

Just as when it comes to war, where the amateurs focus on tactics and the professionals on logistics, the usual focus on "race stuff" far outweighs any coverage or discussion of the contextural issues. Of course, occasionally delving into the latter area has long been one of the strengths of TNF.

#3908 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 14:49

Amazon notified me this morning that the reprint of Andrew Ferguson's Team Lotus: The Indianapolis Years has been delayed for reasons unknown. Various sites have reported release dates from October to the end of November in the U.S., although it appears to be readily available in the U.K. Anyone have any insight on the delay?

#3909 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 18:10

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

Actually, to express a minority opinion, it may be of benefit to those following us that there is some attention being paid to the politics and financial goings-on in racing. That this area gets scant mention for most of racing timespan, especially in the decades following WW2, has deprived many of the vital pieces of context as to many of the events that took place. I have not seen the book in question, but there is still much to be told of the inner workings of formula 1 since the F1CA quietly came into being during the winter of 1963/64.

Quite right, the historians often don't have a source for the background information that books like this will provide.
The paradox is that we'd like the information to be available, but we are not so interested in it that we'd spend our own money on buying (and shelf space on storing) such books. But if we don't, how can we expect the books to be written?

#3910 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 18:28

Originally posted by ensign14
I await "Belgian Racing Yellow". An in-depth investigation into the Nagant and ENB.

Done by the same person who did the Willy Mairesse book, correct?

#3911 Mosport Fan

Mosport Fan

• 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 22:13

Time for a little Christmas bump.

Still time to get a signed copy of John Cordts' autobiography "Blood Sweat and Turnips" before Christmas, and still at the credit crunch price of CDN$20 or £10 plus postage, and available on either side of the Atlantic.

Johnny was one of the Canadian stars of Can-Am in the 60's and 70's, and even made a few Trans-Am appearances for BF Goodrich in the famous "Tirebird" Pontiac Firebird, the Greenwood Corvettes and even an F1 start at the 1969 Canadian Grand Prix.

Send me an e-mail to cordobaman at hotmail dot com or rodkarac at sympatico dot ca or PM and we'll get you sorted!

#3912 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 256 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 21:23

Hello dear friends

Today I have meet a man who write a book of the story of French mark : MONICA.

This my french post on different forum :

Une opportunité, une rencontre, une discussion, et au final un nouveau livre sur les étagères...
Je vous le conseille vraiment, car l'auteur vit vraiment son livre, ah s'ils pouvaient tous avoir la même approche...

Posted Image
Désolé pour les "coupures" gauche/droite le format ne rentre pas sur mon scanner...

Le lien avec l'auteur : http://www.autodiva....&p=20138#p20138

Sorry but I less the french traduction :blush:

#3913 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,703 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:28

Anybody else notice how much the front of the Monica resembles an oversize Elan Plus 2?

#3914 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 16:30

yes but near 12 years later around 1974 .the monica was a car like the facel-vega , meaning big -heavy and using a big american v8 and automatic gearbox

#3915 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,703 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 17:21

Yep I know all that, I was just remarking on the similarity.

#3916 chrisj

chrisj

• 578 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 21:29

Is there a book that covers Formula Two during the period 1975 - 1980? I'm especially interested in race reports and photos from 1976 and '77. Would I be better served looking for magazines from those years, like Autosport, Autosprint, etc.? Thanks

#3917 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 21:48

Originally posted by chrisj
Is there a book that covers Formula Two during the period 1975 - 1980? I'm especially interested in race reports and photos from 1976 and '77. Would I be better served looking for magazines from those years, like Autosport, Autosprint, etc.? Thanks

There was a book called "Drive It - the Complete Book of Formula 2 Motor Racing" by Tristan Wood, but it merely summarises each season, rather than having full race reports. There are some good photographs, though. The old magazines may be your best bet.

#3918 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 22:12

German motorsport annual series "autodrom" had (somewhat basic) F2 race reports, and also some pics. You'd be looking for "autodrom 9" and "autodrom 10", then. Only German text, however.

#3919 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 23:51

Would I be better served looking for magazines from those years, like Autosport, Autosprint, etc.? Thanks

If you are looking for magazines from 1976 and 1977 and other years, this link may help:

http://www.marchives.com/

Click on "Albums", and you should many Formula 2 reports for the years you are looking for.

Vince H.

Advertisement

#3920 chrisj

chrisj

• 578 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:57

Wow!! The Marchives site is fantastic! Thanks!!

Thanks for the tips on "Autodrom" magazine, too. I've never heard of it.

#3921 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 20:26

I've just finished reading "Raw Spirit-In search of the perfect dram" by Iain Banks and can heartily recommend it to this group! Banks, the author of a number of novels and science fiction books, is a car and whiskey nut who hilariously tells the story of how he has been hired to drive around Scotland (he is Scottish) and sample ALL the single malt Scotches made! Great driving stories, lots of info on lesser known whiskeys and descriptions of wonderful Scottish back roads.
I also recommend "The Wasp Factory" by the same author although it is a VERY different read.

#3922 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 23:05

Originally posted by David Birchall
Iain Banks......is a car and whiskey nut

Small point, but in this particular case, it's 'whisky' without the 'e'. Anyway, that does sound like an enjoyable book, I've enjoyed several of this author's works.

#3923 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 23:39

well I thought the spelling was wrong but the bloody spell check on this site insisted it was "whiskey"!!

#3924 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:26

I was intrigued and googled for the definitive answer: Whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scotch! There must be an Irishman running this site!

#3925 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:52

I was intrigued and googled for the definitive answer: Whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scotch! There must be an Irishman running this site!

Probably a non-whisky drinker, or someone just too ignorant to know the difference. This site always tries to correct my spelling to the US version, I just ignore it.

#3926 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:15

small added correction

Whiskey is Irish

Whisky is horrible :p

#3927 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,051 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 17:17

And Bourbon is whiskey, hence the bias in the spell checker which is probably from the USA.
I'm not sure about the Japanese, Canadian, Indian, Spanish, Welsh, Thai or French ones though. :)

#3928 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 17:43

Japanese whisky is spelled ウィスキー... :smoking:

:p

#3929 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 18:48

Since I drink Jack Daniels I suppose I should be excused....

But I have learned something :cool:

#3930 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 19:00

Originally posted by fines
Japanese whisky is spelled ウィスキー... :smoking:

:p

виски.

That's whisky in Russian.

#3931 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 20:05

I was once given a bottle of Old Suntory Japanese whisky by a visiting Japanese journalist. It ended up spending years on a shelf here, labelled with a skull and crossbones and the warning 'For External Application Only'.

DCN

#3932 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 21:04

Gents,
I do not know a thing about whisk(e)y, and just a whisker about good books. So I wanted to let you know that I picked up a copy of the 2008 edition of 'Exellence was expected'. A real improvement over the 2003 edition. Many new pictures too.

#3933 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 21:44

Rats! I only bought my 2003 edition a year ago!

#3934 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,255 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 22:17

Originally posted by D-Type
And Bourbon is whiskey, hence the bias in the spell checker which is probably from the USA.
I'm not sure about the Japanese, Canadian, Indian, Spanish, Welsh, Thai or French ones though. :)

As Doug pointed out, the Japanese stuff doesn't count. The less said about French, Indian, Thai and Spanish the better .....

I haven't tried Welsh whisky, but it is definitely "e-less":

http://www.thewelshw....com/index.html

In Scotland and Canada, it's "whisky". In Ireland and the US, it's "whiskey".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the pub ....

#3935 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 22:27

Originally posted by Doug Nye
I was once given a bottle of Old Suntory Japanese whisky by a visiting Japanese journalist. It ended up spending years on a shelf here, labelled with a skull and crossbones and the warning 'For External Application Only'.
DCN

Hi Doug
If you don't want it I can find a good home for it.
Nathan

#3936 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 23:46

Originally posted by Vitesse2

As Doug pointed out, the Japanese stuff doesn't count. The less said about French, Indian, Thai and Spanish the better .....

I haven't tried Welsh whisky, but it is definitely "e-less":

http://www.thewelshw....com/index.html

In Scotland and Canada, it's "whisky". In Ireland and the US, it's "whiskey".

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the pub ....

Well Richard, the Japanese apparently own some of the best distilleries in Scotland! High end Japanese whiskey is said to be very good. Doug must have been handed a bottle of Duff.

And, this just in:

http://www.timesonli...icle3822531.ece

#3937 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:19

In further defence of Japan...

If you happen to be in Yokkaichi - an occupational hazard if work transports you to Suzuka from time to time - the ready availability of small, inexpensive bottles of Suntory is of great benefit to the weary traveller.

Unable to sleep as midnight approaches, because your body clock is still programmed to Beckenham or Bridgnorth? Simply pop down to any of the myriad 24/7 convenience stores for a 33cl bottle of Suntory. It doesn't bear comparison with a 21-year-old Macallan, but a few swigs do help to knock you out. I have relied several times on such remedial properties.

#3938 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:17

Originally posted by continental
Gents,
I do not know a thing about whisk(e)y, and just a whisker about good books. So I wanted to let you know that I picked up a copy of the 2008 edition of 'Exellence was expected'. A real improvement over the 2003 edition. Many new pictures too.

Darn it... why do they do this, why cant they produce an additional volume rather than a whole edition!!!

#3939 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 17:10

Originally posted by green-blood

Darn it... why do they do this, why cant they produce an additional volume rather than a whole edition!!!

They did.

The only changes are in the third volume, which is also larger, of course. Bentley produced a limited number of separate third volumes with the appropriately larger slipcase. I bought two: one for a customer, one for myself. Don't know if they are still available, but see www.bentleypublishers.com. I recall that they cost about half the price of the complete set.

Frank
Toad Hall Motorbooks

Advertisement

#3940 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 20:42

Originally posted by pilota

Hi Doug
If you don't want it I can find a good home for it.
Nathan

Since I'm pretty much teetotal in any case I really know nothing about these matters, but if I recall correctly we finally used that 1974(ish) NipWhiz vintage to help light a bonfire... Sorry to disappoint. :drunk:

DCN

#3941 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 22:58

Originally posted by fbarrett

They did.

The only changes are in the third volume, which is also larger, of course. Bentley produced a limited number of separate third volumes with the appropriately larger slipcase. I bought two: one for a customer, one for myself. Don't know if they are still available, but see www.bentleypublishers.com. I recall that they cost about half the price of the complete set.

Frank
Toad Hall Motorbooks

To be fair, what on earth would I do with my existing 3rd volume!!! Although at least its a step in the right direction, so good on them.

I think I've learned my lesson on "volume" editions though.

btw Doug - V4???

#3942 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,693 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 18:14

Originally posted by roger ellis
I have recently spotted the 2 new K Ludvigsen "Racing Colours" books - "British Racing Green" & "Italian Racing Red"

What Roger has omitted to mention is the the British Racing Green title is by recently-joined TNFer David Venables. I gather that they are both published by Ian Allen, the old railway enthusiasts' publisher, with pics from the Ludvigsen Library. Has anyone read it yet? It appears to be available.

#3943 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:00

This looks pretty nice....

Corvette Racing Legends - The Story of the L-88 Option Package
Dr. Peter J. Gimenez
2008, 424 pages, 500 photographs
$89.95 + S&H

Link

#3944 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:57

Looks fantastic , thanks for that link. (Unfortunately postage and bank charges from US to Europe would make it very expensive !)

#3945 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 19:44

Dalton Watson Fine Books is showing a new book on the Maserati 300S
by Walter Baumer. Price is $155.00. 360 pages. No other details given.

http://www.daltonwatson.com/book.html

Michael

#3946 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 13:59

Have just ordered a couple - it had better be good!

DCN

#3947 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:16

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Have just ordered a couple - it had better be good!

DCN

For $155 it damn well better be!
Tom

#3948 RAP

RAP

• 567 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 16:13

Yes - the famous Black Books of Sheldon/Rabagliati. The one you need still seems to be available -
http://www.formulaon...Order_Form.html
RAP

#3949 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 21:01

The Immortal 2.9 by Simon Moore - My copy of the new edition arrived today, all 477 pages and eight pounds of all you want to know about 8C2900s. It appears to be well worth the money, and a worthy successor to the original. I've only skimmed so far, but there seems to be a great deal of information and archival photos not included in the first edition.

This one will have me occupied through the holidays.

Woody

#3950 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,586 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 21:13

Veloce are offering 45% off until the end of December. Click on a book and then on the Motor Sport - or whatever- box.
http://www.veloce.co...ovotg_news.html
usual disclaimer
Roger Lund