Jump to content


Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon


  • Please log in to reply
7754 replies to this topic

#3951 philippe charuest

philippe charuest
  • Member

  • 701 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 05 December 2008 - 17:04

Originally posted by bradbury west
Veloce are offering 45% off until the end of December. Click on a book and then on the Motor Sport - or whatever- box.
http://www.veloce.co...ovotg_news.html
usual disclaimer
Roger Lund

theres a new book on the "Carrera panamericana " aahh the temptation ,bought two oldies this week . the "roaring twenties "by cyril Posthumus and "blue blood" (the english translation of "le sang bleu") by serge Bellu

Advertisement

#3952 pilota

pilota
  • Member

  • 199 posts
  • Joined: July 05

Posted 05 December 2008 - 17:17

Originally posted by philippe charuest
theres a new book on the "Carrera panamericana " aahh the temptation ,bought two oldies this week . the "roaring twenties "by cyril Posthumus and "blue blood" (the english translation of "le sang bleu") by serge Bellu

Hello Philippe
If you mean "LA CARRERA PANAMERICANA - "THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROAD RACE!"" by J Tipler, then please be aware that about 80% of it is about the Carrera revival. There are of course much better books on the original races.
Nathan

#3953 philippe charuest

philippe charuest
  • Member

  • 701 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 05 December 2008 - 19:59

Originally posted by pilota

Hello Philippe
If you mean "LA CARRERA PANAMERICANA - "THE WORLD'S GREATEST ROAD RACE!"" by J Tipler, then please be aware that about 80% of it is about the Carrera revival. There are of course much better books on the original races.
Nathan

im happy to learn that , some pictures were suggesting the "revival catalogue side), im alway in favor of books with time period document, can you give more precision about those much better books :)

#3954 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey
  • Member

  • 147 posts
  • Joined: September 01

Posted 05 December 2008 - 20:47

Philippe, If you do not have the MBI hardcover, you might want the print-on-demand version of "Carrera Panamericana: History of the Mexican Road Race, 1950-54" by Daryl E. Murphy, 174 pages, Published by iUniverse, Inc. January 30, 2008

Photo reproduction is likely to be coarse, but the price is right at about US$10 to $15 on Amazon.

#3955 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey
  • Member

  • 147 posts
  • Joined: September 01

Posted 05 December 2008 - 21:20

Regarding the "Immortal 2.9" book, the publisher called yesterday to tell me the full shipment is expected in about 10 days. (The first few that came by air are sold out). I would still like to "pre-sell" a few more copies at a discount before they ship. The discount for a copy going overseas will be most substantial.

#3956 pilota

pilota
  • Member

  • 199 posts
  • Joined: July 05

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:44

Originally posted by philippe charuest
can you give more precision about those much better books :)

Hello Philippe
I would recommend "Carrera Panamericana Mexico" by Adriano Cimarosti - ISBN 88-85058-93-0 - 380pp + 00s of photos, and,
"Carrera Panamericana; History of the Mexican Road Race, 1950-54" by Daryl E Murphy -
ISBN 0-87938-734-3 - 190pp + 00s of photos. I would guess that this is the original version of the book that Mark has mentioned.
I would guess that both are 'out of print'. The Cimarosti book is the best but probably quite expensive. (there is one on Ebay NOW - just over 1 day left to go)
Nathan

#3957 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 06 December 2008 - 14:45

The Pritchard "Silver Arrows" book landed on the doorstep yesterday. My initial impression is that he should have had Leif do it for him instead....

#3958 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 06 December 2008 - 15:11

Leif? :confused:

#3959 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,045 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 06 December 2008 - 18:13

Originally posted by red stick
Leif? :confused:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/

:)

Care to elaborate, Don? I was planning on shelling out a few shekels on that myself.

Advertisement

#3960 red stick

red stick
  • Member

  • 2,288 posts
  • Joined: October 05

Posted 06 December 2008 - 19:59

Thanks. Fun website.

#3961 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:43

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Care to elaborate, Don? I was planning on shelling out a few shekels on that myself.


It is necessary to point out the the title includes "in camera."

It is pretty nice piece of eye cnady, for the most part, some really nice photos (which for the price damn well ought to be there!). Part of the problem, to me, is that the 1934 thru 1936 seasons are covered scarcely covered when compared to the 1937 thru 1939 seasons. Plus, on p. 53 there is yet another rendition of the Neubauer Eifelrennen tale....

Alas, something of yet another Nice Try by Mr. Pritchard, but no goal.

It will be used as an eye candy book and get little use as a reference work.

I can only begin to fathom what Our Friend Leif could have done with such resources at his disposal....

#3962 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,045 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 07 December 2008 - 15:33

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps


It is necessary to point out the the title includes "in camera."

It is pretty nice piece of eye cnady, for the most part, some really nice photos (which for the price damn well ought to be there!). Part of the problem, to me, is that the 1934 thru 1936 seasons are covered scarcely covered when compared to the 1937 thru 1939 seasons. Plus, on p. 53 there is yet another rendition of the Neubauer Eifelrennen tale....

Oh ****, not again :rolleyes: The seminar was obviously all pointless then ....

Originally posted by Vitesse2 re the Freddie Dixon biography

Perhaps it's time Haynes employed an editor with some pre-war racing knowledge?


Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

Alas, something of yet another Nice Try by Mr. Pritchard, but no goal.

How often have we said/thought that?

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
It will be used as an eye candy book and get little use as a reference work.

Expensive eye candy .... but forewarned is forearmed. Thanks, Don.

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
I can only begin to fathom what Our Friend Leif could have done with such resources at his disposal....

:

#3963 FLB

FLB
  • Member

  • 1,922 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 07 December 2008 - 16:48

Originally posted by bradbury west
Veloce are offering 45% off until the end of December. Click on a book and then on the Motor Sport - or whatever- box.
http://www.veloce.co...ovotg_news.html
usual disclaimer
Roger Lund

Thanks for that, Roger! I've just bought Ed McDonough's book on the Tipo 33 Alfa Romeo. With postage included, it's still the best overall price I've seen it.

This week, I've received Stephen Dorril's book on Oswald Mosely. I bought it on Pete Fenelon's posthumous advice. All I can say is :eek: I can't put it down!

Originally posted by petefenelon


The best book I've read on Sir Oswald Mosley is Stephen Dorril's recent biography "Blackshirt" - it gives a real sense of how precarious parliamentary democracy was between the wars, as well as an idea of how blatantly opportunistic Mosley was. A very sobering book indeed.



#3964 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 07 December 2008 - 23:33

Does anyone know if the BMW M1 book is out in an English edition yet?

Thanks.

Jack

#3965 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer
  • Member

  • 3,623 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:41

Please tell me which book on Le Mans 24 hours , has a picture of every (or close to) starter ?

#3966 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,189 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:13

The two volume one by Moity and Teissedre here. Takes it up to 1992. Good luck finding it. Warth has it for an eye-watering £769.

#3967 john winfield

john winfield
  • Member

  • 1,034 posts
  • Joined: July 02

Posted 08 December 2008 - 13:36

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
Please tell me which book on Le Mans 24 hours , has a picture of every (or close to) starter ?


Bjorn,
As Ensign states, TE Warth, and another seller, offer it at a frightening £769 but, if you look on Abe, a seller in Buxton, Derbyshire is offering one for £99.99.
John

Sorry - different book! Too many Moity and Teissedres !

#3968 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,189 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 08 December 2008 - 14:05

They did one up to 1982 which includes all the statistics and a decent run through the history of the race, but not photos of every car.

#3969 Rob

Rob
  • Member

  • 8,170 posts
  • Joined: February 01

Posted 08 December 2008 - 16:24

I've had an idea for a book which I think could be interesting. Very much in the vein of the British TV programme "QI", a book on fallacies in motorsport. Commonly accepted facts which are actually wrong. Such as the Silver Arrows losing their white paint to save weight, Nuvolari et al fixing the race in Tripoli etc.

Any mileage?

#3970 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 37,189 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 08 December 2008 - 16:47

Every single person in the world who cares has already posted in the appropriate thread. So no. :(

#3971 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

  • 24,045 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 08 December 2008 - 17:50

Originally posted by Rob
I've had an idea for a book which I think could be interesting. Very much in the vein of the British TV programme "QI", a book on fallacies in motorsport. Commonly accepted facts which are actually wrong. Such as the Silver Arrows losing their white paint to save weight, Nuvolari et al fixing the race in Tripoli etc.

Any mileage?

Mattijs and Felix avoided the paint scratching when they did this for 8W four years ago:

http://www.forix.com/8w/myths.html

And anyway, I think it's now accepted that one or more of the W25s was/were white at some point. It's just the sequence of events that's an issue ....

#3972 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps
  • Member

  • 2,482 posts
  • Joined: April 05

Posted 08 December 2008 - 18:12

Originally posted by Vitesse2
And anyway, I think it's now accepted that one or more of the W25s was/were white at some point. It's just the sequence of events that's an issue ....


But it is not accepted that any of the W25's entered for the Eifelrennen were ever white that weekend.

The only W25 that may have been white was the prototype and even then perhaps only briefly very early on in 1934.

#3973 mkv23

mkv23
  • New Member

  • 10 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:46

This company have a great selection lately, including the Peter Collins "All about the boy!" title, also a great book on "Rootes Maestros", Norman Garrad, Stirling Moss and Marcus Chambers.

http://www.mercianmanuals.co.uk/

:clap:

#3974 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer
  • Member

  • 3,623 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 09 December 2008 - 15:38

Thanks to ensign & John W !

#3975 Ivan

Ivan
  • Member

  • 6,646 posts
  • Joined: March 99

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:01

Got the Jackie Stewart book as a gift a few weeks ago!
It's very good. Just read that part about him helping the cop arrest a stolen car thief in Indiana!! :rotfl:

#3976 MCS

MCS
  • Member

  • 3,539 posts
  • Joined: June 03

Posted 10 December 2008 - 18:50

Originally posted by FLB
...This week, I've received Stephen Dorril's book on Oswald Mosely. I bought it on Pete Fenelon's posthumous advice...


It never ceases to amaze me how often I come across Pete's reviews. God bless him. :(

I've just bought a book by Jonathan Meades, as recommended by Pete.

#3977 rudi

rudi
  • Member

  • 208 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:50

"The Maserati 300S" arrived only five days after ordering !
Fascinating book, great research, marvelous images.
Congratulations to Walter Bäumer, a masterpiece.

#3978 Gary Davies

Gary Davies
  • Member

  • 1,923 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 11 December 2008 - 23:48

If anyone, particularly in Oz, is interested, eBay Australia currently has a copy of The History of Motor Racing by Bill Boddy sitting at AU $0.99 with just over a day to go.

I have a copy and I must say, one has to plough through WB's trademark turgid style, but it's a worthwhile book to have on the shelf, IMHO.

#3979 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin
  • Member

  • 4,598 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:59

Posted Image
Enus "Sonny" Wilson in his 300S Maserati #3068
This was the ex A.V. Dayton car.
Posted Image
Enus Wilson seen on passenger side of car. Note door.

Rudi: This comes from Willem Oosthoek:

With all that great research, why doesn't Enus Wilson and his 300S get mentioned once in the book on the model?

Incidentitally, the Enus Wilson photos show his 300S had two doors, in spite of the condition of the "restored" Maserati today.

photos lent site: Enus "Sonny" Wilson collection.

Advertisement

#3980 rudi

rudi
  • Member

  • 208 posts
  • Joined: September 04

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:21

Your question about Enus Wilson can certainly be answered by the author.

The colour photo of the car in Sebring is more important for me than two images of the same car in US
races. But if this one year ownership by Enus Wilson is part of the story, it should have been mentioned in the book.


Regarding the doors, the story is well covered in words and images.

What I appreciate also in the book is that there are only few modern images, only when really needed to show or
prove some point.

#3981 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin
  • Member

  • 4,598 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 14 December 2008 - 22:10

Rudi:
I am told that Coco has done a great job in getting excellent photos together for this book. And I know he has put a great effort into making it a very good book.

#3982 mcerqueira

mcerqueira
  • Member

  • 150 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 15 December 2008 - 19:24

If anyone is interested the book "Driving Ambition", complete story of the Mclaren F1 by Doug Nye is available on the Mclaren online shop: Driving ambition

Previously it was only available second hand and much more expensive so a good buy I think (I got it!).

#3983 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin
  • Member

  • 4,598 posts
  • Joined: December 02

Posted 15 December 2008 - 20:46

Rudi:
As you can see in the Enus Wilson thread, he did not own the Maserati 300S for just one year. He bought the car in 1958 from Dayton and used it as late as 1962 while doing his part in the movie.

all research Willem Oosthoek.

#3984 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,580 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 15 December 2008 - 21:24

Originally posted by mcerqueira
If anyone is interested the book "Driving Ambition", complete story of the Mclaren F1 by Doug Nye is available on the Mclaren online shop: Driving ambition
Previously it was only available second hand and much more expensive so a good buy I think (I got it!).

Got mine the first time round. Highly recommended, the complete story.
Usual disclaimer
Roger Lund.

#3985 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:34

A year and a half ago or so there was a splash about a grand photo book of Phil Hill's pictures. Doug Nye is the co-author. It was stated that it would be out in early 2008. I would really be interested in this book. Does anyone know the status? Doug?

Tom

#3986 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,580 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:34

There is a 2 fold issue with the PTH photo book. Doug has a huge workload on a variety of fronts, plus the number and high quality of PTH pictures. I believe Doug is spending a huge amount of time producing the optimum results, with the similarly detailed commentary for each shot- upto 800 pictures. Not just another shot of just another racecar/driver on just another track. Be patient, and keep on saving up.
usual disclaimer
Roger Lund.

#3987 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 16 December 2008 - 17:18

Originally posted by RA Historian
A year and a half ago or so there was a splash about a grand photo book of Phil Hill's pictures. Doug Nye is the co-author. It was stated that it would be out in early 2008. I would really be interested in this book. Does anyone know the status? Doug?

Tom


Many of us are eagerly anticipating this.

Jack

#3988 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:10

Originally posted by bradbury west
There is a 2 fold issue with the PTH photo book. Doug has a huge workload on a variety of fronts, a short notice requirement to do the Revival 10 year book not the least, plus the number and high quality of PTH pictures. I believe Doug is spending a huge amount of time producing the optimum results, with the similarly detailed commentary for each shot- upto 800 pictures. Not just another shot of just another racecar/driver on just another track. Be patient, and keep on saving up.
usual disclaimer
Roger Lund.

Thanks Roger. As the fisherman said with worms in his mouth, "I wait with baited breath!" :

#3989 helioseism

helioseism
  • Member

  • 1,429 posts
  • Joined: December 05

Posted 17 December 2008 - 16:56

I received my copy of "Corvette Racing Legends - The Story of the L-88 Option Package" by Dr. Peter J. Gimenez. In my opinion, this is a great book! Full of excellent photos of Corvettes in road racing from 1956 to 1978. I estimate that there are about 600 photos all together, most of which are new to me. The snippets I have read are clearly written, but someone else will have to comment on the accuracy of the text. There are two deficiencies for serious researchers -- no bibliography and, even worse, no index.

#3990 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 17 December 2008 - 17:59

Originally posted by RA Historian
As the fisherman said with worms in his mouth, "I wait with baited breath!" :

I'll be content to wait with bated breath ;)

#3991 Doug Nye

Doug Nye
  • Member

  • 8,330 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 17 December 2008 - 22:16

Yeeeessss - the delay on Phil's project is embarrassing really, but we would rather get it as right as it can be -the objective is to produce a truly wonderful book by, for and in homage to a truly wonderful person, sportsman, Champion, and friend. We're getting closer.

DCN

#3992 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 17 December 2008 - 22:51

Thanks for the update, Doug. I'm sure the book will be worth the wait. Phil's archives are in the best possible hands.

Jack.

#3993 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,417 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 17 December 2008 - 23:56

Originally posted by David McKinney

I'll be content to wait with bated breath ;)

Just making a little play on words, David  ;)

#3994 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,580 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 19 December 2008 - 19:28

Once again I recommend Sunset on Kyalami by Gary Kegel and Brian Bennet, the latter a scrutineer there for many years. This A4 hardback book gives a history of Kyalami, with race entries and results, plus a marvellous array of mainly colour photographs, many full A4 landscape, covering the racing from '61 to '71, featuring local stars and supporting drivers, as well as images of those heroes more usually seen in Europe and F1. Historically very useful and just nice to look through something from somewhere different.
Roger Lund.

#3995 philippe charuest

philippe charuest
  • Member

  • 701 posts
  • Joined: March 01

Posted 20 December 2008 - 19:06

put me on the waiting list for the new Phil Hill bio :) . talking of Hill bio in the letters of the december Motorsport .Hill was talking of an "awful book" ,was he reffering to "Phil Hill yankee champion by W,Nolan, just asking ,never read the book but was once tempted to buy it .

#3996 Barry Boor

Barry Boor
  • Member

  • 10,834 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 20 December 2008 - 20:59

I tried to buy it through W. H. Smiths years ago but was told that they were not able to get it.

So, was I lucky?

#3997 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 21 December 2008 - 00:24

Originally posted by philippe charuest
put me on the waiting list for the new Phil Hill bio :) . talking of Hill bio in the letters of the december Motorsport .Hill was talking of an "awful book" ,was he reffering to "Phil Hill yankee champion by W,Nolan, just asking ,never read the book but was once tempted to buy it .


Phil Hill: Yankee Champion ...I bought it (inscribed) as soon as it came out and I still have it. Since I haven't read it in more that 40 years it wouldn't be fair to review it, but it sounds like Phil wasn't completely enchanted! As biographies went (as a genre) in those days, I suppose it was OK.

On the other hand, he may have been referring to Red Cars by filmmaker David Cronenberg, which Phil is said to have thought dwelt too much in the psychological realm. Having read it, I agree.

Jack.

#3998 jtremlett

jtremlett
  • Member

  • 48 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:11

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad


Phil Hill: Yankee Champion ...I bought it (inscribed) as soon as it came out and I still have it. Since I haven't read it in more that 40 years it wouldn't be fair to review it, but it sounds like Phil wasn't completely enchanted! As biographies went (as a genre) in those days, I suppose it was OK.

On the other hand, he may have been referring to Red Cars by filmmaker David Cronenberg, which Phil is said to have thought dwelt too much in the psychological realm. Having read it, I agree.

Jack.

For what it's worth I was most fortunate to have spent a bit of time with Phil Hill in 1997, having booked on a trip to the Italian Grand Prix that included tours of the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories, Alfa museum etc. with Phil as our guide. The trip was amazing as was Phil, who had driven pretty much every car we saw and had so many tales to tell. But I digress. This was not long after Yankee Champion had been reprinted and Phil very kindly signed my copy. From what I recall he was not particulary enamoured with the book and more than that was most incensed that the new edition had been printed without any involvement from him and in no sense had his permission been sought (for the new edition). I do recall asking him why he didn't write his own book to which he gave a fairly non-committal response.

As an aside, when we went into one of the shops in Maranello the owner prevailed upon Phil to sign a number of their copies of Yankee Champion. In return Phil relieved them of a couple of bottles of Michael Schumacher champagne which then graced our lunch table in the Ristorante Cavallino!

Jonathan

#3999 Doug Nye

Doug Nye
  • Member

  • 8,330 posts
  • Joined: February 02

Posted 22 December 2008 - 15:27

Phil was many things, one of which was a very private man. He gave me a copy of 'Yankee Champion' into which we scribbled a mass of extra information and clarification. Whatever his view of that book's reprinted version, I thought it was quite good. But Phil recorded many, many hours of tape with his friend, my colleague and co-author, Steve Dawson...in which many matters he considered sensitive have been aired. If it hadn't been for Steve's relationship with Phil many of these things would have gone unsaid, and would therefore now be lost. Steve's fine and sensitive work saved them. Above all Phil was concerned that he didn't want any of his recollections and views to cause fuss while he was alive. He was NOT a controversialist nor a mischief maker.

DCN

Advertisement

#4000 VWV

VWV
  • Member

  • 279 posts
  • Joined: March 02

Posted 22 December 2008 - 16:59

Regarding Phil Hill. Yesterday I was watching the Carroll Shelby DVD by Duke and Phil was in it talking about driving the Cobra's. The interviewer asked him about the differences between an American team and Italian one. He said that basically they were the same but he liked the Italian way but there were some bad feelings with the way he left Ferrari. He seemed choked up about it in the video and you could definitely see the private side to Phil.

I would definitely recomend Phil's Ferrari Book A Champion's View.


http://www.daltonwat...com/ferrari.htm