Photo

The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7773 replies to this topic

#4051 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 19:13

I would like to purchase a copy of the English edition of BMW M1:The Story. The publisher advises that it is out of stock and I haven't been able to locate it from any of the usual sources. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jack

Advertisement

#4052 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,682 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:21

It looks as though you may well have a struggle, Jack, if the Abebooks stock listing is anything to go by - the only copies they have currently availble are the German original.
http://www.abebooks....mw m1 the story

#4053 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,581 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 14:45

Not books, I grant you, but I came across this for US racing films. Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but probably has. Click on the year and there is a race report too.
http://www.raresport...s.com/auto.html
Roger Lund

#4054 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:41

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
So...who got books for Christmas?

jack

I ordered a book for someone else. Trouble is, it arrived so late I could only have a quick thumb through it before handing it over !

Freddie Dixon - The man with the heart of a lion, by David Mason.

What a man.

Jim.

#4055 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:57

Originally posted by Chocmonster

I got Andy Priaulx: The Autobiography of the Three-time World Touring Car Champion - should keep me amused on the plane over to Daytona later this month. :)

I've just finished that one, don't waste any of your baggage allowance on it. There's barely a mention of his hillclimbing, very little about cars and driving generally in fact, he's clearly very proud of his Williams F1 tests, but tells us virtually nothing about them. In fact he tells us very little about anything other than his personal struggles, and the island of Guernsey. I know the place well, and I love it, but this book will tell you more about the place than you'd want to know. He also tells us a lot about his personal struggles, or did I mention that earlier? I really wanted to like this book, I wanted to like Andy Priaulx as well, but I just couldn't. Andy admits to being a dunce at school, and sadly it shows, help from someone like Mark Hughes, who worked wonders with Tommy Byrne's material, would have improved it immensely, and he's a serial abuser of the first person pronoun. If a proofreader (do publishers still employ them?) had swapped every 'I' for a 'me' and vice versa, it would have improved things a lot. The story is there no doubt, but Andy hasn't done a very good job in telling it, the book can be bought on Amazon for one penny, which tells you all you need to know.

#4056 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,220 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:35

Originally posted by jatwarks

I ordered a book for someone else. Trouble is, it arrived so late I could only have a quick thumb through it before handing it over !

Freddie Dixon - The man with the heart of a lion, by David Mason.

What a man.

Jim.

Here's what you missed ....

http://forums.autosp...741#post3249741

:)

#4057 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:47

Originally posted by kayemod

The story is there no doubt, but Andy hasn't done a very good job in telling it, the book can be bought on Amazon for one penny, which tells you all you need to know.

It's in the remainder bookshops for £3.99 as well, hidden amongst the Buttoniana.

#4058 jatwarks

jatwarks

• 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 13:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Here's what you missed ....

http://forums.autosp...741#post3249741

Thanks for the link. I ordered it from Amazon just before Christmas for £17.50 plus p&p.

Jim.

#4059 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 17:00

If there is anyone in the UK who can pick up a few books from the Greenford, Middlesex area and mail them to California, please contact me for details.
Thanks, Mark

Advertisement

#4060 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:31

A number of previously unmentioned and interesting future new books have popped up on amazon_UK:

Crazy Horses: The History of British Drag Racing link

Ferrari: Men from Maranello - The Biographical A-Z of All Significant Ferrari Racing Drivers, Engineers and Team Managers link

Formula 5000 Motor Racing: Back Then... and Back Now link

Races, Faces, Places: The Motor Racing Photography of Michael Cooper link

The Toleman Story: The Last Romantics in Formula 1 link

#4061 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:03

Some more temptations from amazon:

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Racecars and Record Setters Photo Archive link

Ford's Feisty Capri: European Sporting Coupes 1969-1987 (Ludvigsen Library Series) link

Mercedes Grand Prix W196: Spectacular Silver Arrows 1954-1955 (Ludvigsen Library) link

Nissan Gt-r Supercar: Born to Race link

#4062 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 23:46

Any views as to whether the recent book on the Maserati 300S is worth its £100 / $150 price?

#4063 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,581 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 23:56

It was reviewed very well recently by one of the monthly journals. It sounds good, but could be a lot of money for a poor choice.
Roger Lund

#4064 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 00:03

Please understand that this is second hand info, as I have not read the book. But a party whose knowledge I value highly has read it and reports that there is a good number of errors, some of oversight, some of date, and some just downright silly showing a lack of research in that particular area.
Tom

#4065 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:12

Just pulled A Passion For Porsche, the re-issue of Porsches Past And Present by Dennis Jenkinson, off my shelf. I haven't read this book for a few years and have just an enjoyable afternoon re-reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Dennis Jenkinson and Porsche 356's. Detailing his travels in the 50's and 60's to motorsports events and other experiences, a delightful read.

Matt

#4066 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:23

Originally posted by MattKellett
Just pulled A Passion For Porsche, the re-issue of Porsches Past And Present by Dennis Jenkinson, off my shelf. I haven't read this book for a few years and have just an enjoyable afternoon re-reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Dennis Jenkinson and Porsche 356's. Detailing his travels in the 50's and 60's to motorsports events and other experiences, a delightful read.

Matt

Matt:

You're right, an excellent book. I read it years ago, when it first came out, and I should re-read it. One thing struck me odd about it--how he called his car a 356A, when it was clearly a bent-windshield 356 (I had a '52 at the time). When I wrote to Jenks and asked about the discrepancy, he kindly responded and said that the car had been updated so much by Porsche that he considered it an A!

Frank

#4067 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:52

Frank

It's funny you should mention it, because I was thinking the same thing today. I especially enjoyed reading about the relationship Porsche had with his customers in the early years, obviously Jenks was a favored customer, but even so he describes a much more personal relationship between factory and customer.

Whenever I read this book, it makes me want a 356 so badly!!!

Matt

#4068 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:35

re post 4058 , I am still looking for some more words on the Maserati 300S book , at that price I want more infos than just guessing it must be good ?

#4069 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:12

So I spent my christmas vouchers eventually, paid over the odds for Robsons' Touring Cars in Camera - WOW, its brilliant, especially for a mini owner like me... oh that Britmax special!!!

left over pennies went on "napoleon's wars" excellant and will be weeks of bedtime reading fro me.... off topic though it is :stoned:

#4070 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:34

Originally posted by Mal9444

Not sure if this, or the dedicated thread, is the place to say something about Mike Hawthorn Golden Boy, but since this is the ‘official’ book thread I’ll post my general comments here, in case anyone might be interested.

Golden Boy is certainly an heroic work but (as Mr Spock might say and indeed Doug Nye more or less has elsewhere) it’s a motor racing book, Jim – but not as we know it.

For anyone who is a not a Hawthorn fan Golden Boy will tell them little they did not already know (or could have read elsewhere) about JMH. For anyone who is a Hawthorn fan the book will doubtless be a joy to have.

I am very glad to have been given it for Christmas.

Thanks for a perfectly fair point of view - up to the last paragraph!! To say "For anyone who is a not a Hawthorn fan Golden Boy will tell them little they did not already know (or could have read elsewhere) about JMH" is maybe true only in relation to his motor racing career.

Outside of motor racing there is an absolutely vast amount about Mike that will not, and could not, have been known to anyone before the book was published, not even the most dedicated Hawthorn fan. Much too much to include in fact - it would need another 440 page book to do it....!!

#4071 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 15:57

Tony:

Is your 45 pounds + 9 pounds shipping to the US still available? If not, what is the current damage?

Mark

#4072 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 16:06

Originally posted by red stick
Tony:

Is your 45 pounds + 9 pounds shipping to the US still available? If not, what is the current damage?

Mark

Mark - yes it is via the web site. There is currently stock in the USA for local shipping.

#4073 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 17:03

Originally posted by tonyb
There is currently stock in the USA for local shipping.

Mark:

www.enthusiastbooks.com shows it $109.95 plus shipping (from Wisconsin).

Frank

#4074 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 17:14

That link goes to Richard Calver's Jensen book?

#4075 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 17:17

Re. the Maserati 300S book.

Thank you Roger and Tom for your posts.
Tom, I had heard something pretty similar to the verdict which your informant gave...

#4076 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 19:40

That link goes to Richard Calver's Jensen book?

Tony:

That's their home page. You can then use the Search feature (type in Golden Boy) or go to http://www.enthusias...1&Search=Search

Frank

#4077 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 20:02

Originally posted by fbarrett

Tony:

That's their home page. You can then use the Search feature (type in Golden Boy) or go to http://www.enthusias...1&Search=Search

Frank

Well, along those lines, I had tried a search, but for 'Mike Hawthorn'. That returns no hits.

What I didn't realise was that you were referring to another book by that yank Mike Hawthorne, also called Golden Boy... :drunk: It's unfortunate that they don't allow partial matches.

#4078 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 20:33

Mark - yes it is via the web site. There is currently stock in the USA for local shipping.

Thanks. :up:

#4079 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 20:35

Mark:

www.enthusiastbooks.com shows it $109.95 plus shipping (from Wisconsin).

Frank

Thanks Frank, although this appears to be one of those rare times where it's actually less expensive to ship from Britain!

1/20 EDIT: Just completed my order--the total was a hair over $78 at the current exchange rate.

Advertisement

#4080 ERault

ERault

• 331 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 21:11

Any views as to whether the recent book on the Maserati 300S is worth its £100 / $150 price?

I bought the book for Christmas. I have not yet read it cover to cover. Beside, I am no expert except I love the period. My point is I have not doubt it will have mistakes, but the opposite would have been quite surprising when trying to cover the complete history of almost 30 (italian !) cars raced on all continents for 10 years (ok, McKinney did it ;) ).
I am grateful, imperfect as it might be, that someone had a go on this difficult subject. I especially appreciate that the author tried his best on sorting the south american races, instead of the usual "the car was then sent to South America where it was raced by local enthousiasts before ending up in a scrapyard with a Chevy engine".
So, probably far from perfect, but for me at least well worth buying. And perhaps it will help some more knowledge to surface.

PS
VeloceToday had nice things to say about it :

http://www.velocetod...m/archives/1374

#4081 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:32

Thanks to all of you.

#4082 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:49

:wave: Hi there, Bjorn:

But wouldn't it be fun if we went back to the days when the cars were driven from their down-town garages out to the race track each morning, and back in the evening?

#4083 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 20:05

My copy of "Morgan Maverick", the autobiography of Chris Lawrence arrived about an hour ago from Amazon UK--I ordered it before Christmas! Still, the price was better than the n.american price!
So far I am very impressed-nice presentation, good quality paper and lots of 'personal' photos. I read up quickly on the AC Aceca 2.6 that he raced in California and have a better understanding now of how he was able to beat both my and four other Lotus 26Rs at Laguna Seca! He beat 2 FIA Cobras at Sears Point in the Aceca....
Good book by an interesting guy.

#4084 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 159 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 22:25

Does anyone know how I can buy a copy of Claire Hay's book on the Speed Six Bentley? And can anyone who has one, tell me if it is worth the money.

Thank you

#4085 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,220 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 23:50

Originally posted by Mark Ballard
Does anyone know how I can buy a copy of Claire Hay's book on the Speed Six Bentley? And can anyone who has one, tell me if it is worth the money.

Thank you

AFAIK you can only get it direct from the author by emailing clarehay @ btinternet.com. It got a reasonably favourable review from C&SC (Feb 2009), their only real criticism being that it "focuses on team cars, not coachbuilt survivors". Now, for racing fans, I'd say that was a positive ....

Whether it's worth 285 quid, I couldn't say. But according to C&SC it's almost sold out.

#4086 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,636 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:28

I don't know if anyone has recommended Terry Marshall's great book called:
Looking Back: The Motorsport Photography of Terry Marshall.

This book is a collection of 250-odd pictures dating back to the 1960s and covers, some would say, the halcyon days of motor racing in New Zealand.

It covers the early days of the first Tasman Cup Series when New Zealand drivers battled it out with likes of Jim Clark, Sir Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt and Piers Courage. There are evocative black and white images of Formula 5000 and the early days of the big, booming V8s in all their glory.

I recommend it highly.

#4087 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 13:57

The latest news on "The Brothers Rodriguez" book can be found here .

#4088 GreenFlag

GreenFlag

• 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 19:06

Hello fellow race fans! I am not sure whether this is the right thread for this post, but I guess it does concern motorsport books. Getting motorsport literature in my conntry is quite complicated, but right now I am staying in Sweden for some time. So I wanted to ask the Swedish contributors to the forum, where I can buy racing books in Stockholm (in English or Swedish). I would be most interested in books concerning the Indy 500 and pre war European motorsport (Silver Arrows, etc.). Thank you in advance!
GreenFlag

#4089 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 20:17

Friends:

Good News for Rodriguez Fans!

Posted Image

The new English edition is now available in North America from David Bull Publishing: www.bullpublishing.com/. I understand that this edition has been improved both physically and editorially from the Spanish version. For example, the 220,000-word book now has a much-needed index.

The above web site includes a series of sample pages, and they look great.

Frank

#4090 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 22:42

GreenFlag,

Try to visit the MarGie Bookshop in Roslagsgatan. It is specializing in books on Cars and Motorsport.

http://www.margie.se/v1/

I lived in Stockholm from 1997 to 1999 and visited MarGie quite often. At the time they had a very good selection of second hand books.

Regards,

Jan

#4091 GreenFlag

GreenFlag

• 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 23:24

Jan, thank you very much!!! :)

#4092 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:24

SHELBY, the Race Driver,
With Remembrance by Carroll Shelby
By Art Evans, 2008
ISBN 978-0-9797219-0-8, 192 pp, (8x12 by 11 inch)
soft cover book, US $29.95

Art Evans has delivered his tenth book joining the Torrey Pines, Paramount Ranch, Golden Gate Remembered, to name a few, in Evans' series of motor sport coverage in California during the fabulous fifties.

In this Shelby book, Evans has shared the text with Shelby's own comments which provide the reader a glance at the driver's experience. And that covers Texas, Argentina, Sebring, Aintree, Mexico, Le Mans, Sicily, Pebble Beach, and it goes on and on from 1952 to 1960, a whirl of a time, ending at Laguna Seca. (At the back of the book a record of all the races among Shelby's 9 years of action was prepared by Michael T. Lynch.)

Shelby's comments are open and clear about cars he was driving and drivers who where in the races. These comments are brought to life by photos-galore in the book.

Here is one sample of Shelby's comments:
Page 136, Le Mans "After you win a long race like Le Mans, people always ask what your "strategy" was. For Roy (Salvadori) and me that's easily answered. We had no strategy except that we planned to be the two more relaxed drivers in the 24-hour grind. Reg Parnell gave us a maximum lap time, so we decided to just go out there and keep a little bit inside that and forget the rest. There was a very friendly team spirit with no jealousy or rivalry. Everyone was anxious to work together. All I was interested in was trying to make a worthwhile living out of motor racing and I think Roy felt exactly the same."

Orders@enthusiastbooks.com

Reviewed by Michael Gee

#4093 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,860 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:00

Here's a nice new book about Ronnie Peterson.

It consists of a large number of two-page glimpses from Ronnie's life and career. Wherever you open the book, on one page there's a pic (quite a few previously unpublished), and the other has a text; each one a personal recollection of "Superswede."

#4094 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 18:01

This just in from David Bull:

"The Brothers Rodríguez - At Last!"

"For our first book of 2009 I'm very excited to introduce The Brothers Rodríguez, the English-language edition of Carlos Jalife-Villalón's epic biography of racing legends Pedro and Ricardo Rodríguez. You can see sample pages at our newly updated Web site, www.bullpublishing.com.
"Some of you may already be familiar with this book. The original Spanish-language edition was published several years ago in Mexico, where the Rodríguez brothers remain national heroes. When I learned of Carlos's project I was immediately interested in publishing the translation, because the brothers have continued to fascinate motorsports fans everywhere in the decades since their untimely deaths.
"Although we began work in early 2007, producing our own version took more time than I'd expected. Some of this had to do with the sheer size and scale of the book, which runs more than 600 pages, has thousands of photos, and weighs nearly nine pounds. But we also made every effort to improve the book wherever we could. It now features a complete annotated index and a new foreword by Pedro's old teammate Jackie Oliver. Our edition also incorporates revisions and many new details provided by the author.
"I think you'll agree that the new book was worth the wait. Drawing on his deep knowledge of motorsports, as well as his close personal connections to the Rodríguez family, Carlos Jalife-Villalón not only delivers the definitive account of each brother's life, but also shows how their meteoric careers were interwoven with the broader history of their era. The Brothers Rodríguez is the ultimate biography of two of the most memorable characters in motorsports history."

It's 607 pages, 4,000(!) photographs, $149.95.

Frank

#4095 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,288 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 21:59

Review in Autosport this week announcing a new book by Dr Steve Olvey (ex-CART) about his grandfather-in-law, 20s and 30s driver Herschel McKee, called The Man Who Would Not Die. A title with some accuracy as according to the motorsport.com stats site he relieved Ernest Eldridge at Indy four years after he was killed.

Anyhoo, the press release is here, and it looks to be VERY interesting.

#4096 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 18:04

Originally posted by red stick

Thanks Frank, although this appears to be one of those rare times where it's actually less expensive to ship from Britain!
1/20 EDIT: Just completed my order--the total was a hair over $78 at the current exchange rate.

Mark

Only just spotted this - what I was trying to say was that some of the Golden Boy print run had been shipped directly to the USA (and Australia) so that when ordered via the web site or wherever it could be shipped locally. And with the current exchange rate, at a bargain price for that side of the pond!

#4097 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 20:11

Agreed! Thanks.

#4098 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 22:23

This just in from David Bull:

"The Brothers Rodríguez - At Last!"

"For our first book of 2009 I'm very excited to introduce The Brothers Rodríguez, the English-language edition of Carlos Jalife-Villalón's epic biography of racing legends Pedro and Ricardo Rodríguez. You can see sample pages at our newly updated Web site, www.bullpublishing.com.
"Some of you may already be familiar with this book. The original Spanish-language edition was published several years ago in Mexico, where the Rodríguez brothers remain national heroes. When I learned of Carlos's project I was immediately interested in publishing the translation, because the brothers have continued to fascinate motorsports fans everywhere in the decades since their untimely deaths.
"Although we began work in early 2007, producing our own version took more time than I'd expected. Some of this had to do with the sheer size and scale of the book, which runs more than 600 pages, has thousands of photos, and weighs nearly nine pounds. But we also made every effort to improve the book wherever we could. It now features a complete annotated index and a new foreword by Pedro's old teammate Jackie Oliver. Our edition also incorporates revisions and many new details provided by the author.
"I think you'll agree that the new book was worth the wait. Drawing on his deep knowledge of motorsports, as well as his close personal connections to the Rodríguez family, Carlos Jalife-Villalón not only delivers the definitive account of each brother's life, but also shows how their meteoric careers were interwoven with the broader history of their era. The Brothers Rodríguez is the ultimate biography of two of the most memorable characters in motorsports history."

It's 607 pages, 4,000(!) photographs, $149.95.

Frank

thanks, I have a few of david bill's publications now, but has anyone any idea of euro side distributors... shipping on the weight of this from us will be substantial

#4099 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:00

Hope the photo reproduction is better quality than the Spanish version .

Advertisement

#4100 Elford68

Elford68

• 144 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:20

Hi

Anyone knows where can I find the Mike Lang's GRAND PRIX books?