Why don't you try www.abebooks.com

Advertisement

#4102 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 18:08

Originally posted by Elford68
Hi

Anyone knows where can I find the Mike Lang's GRAND PRIX books?

If you are in the UK there's Vol One 1950 to 1965 on eBay ends in 2hrs or so ... £12 no bids so far

#4103 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 19:02

Originally posted by green-blood

thanks, I have a few of david bull's publications now, but has anyone any idea of euro side distributors... shipping on the weight of this from us will be substantial

green-blood:

Haynes is the British importer/distributor, and the book should be available through the usual retailers, though I don't know when. Haynes' web wite is inaccessible to me right now, but try them at www.haynes.co.uk.

Frank

#4104 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:58

Originally posted by Ted Walker
Hope the photo reproduction is better quality than the Spanish version .

Some times Bull's paper stock leaves something to be desired, as well. Here's hoping this book will have higher quality paper than some others.

I'll know soon enough, as I expect my copy to arrive this week. :wave:

Jack

#4105 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:01

I'm really looking forward to the David Bull published new work of TNF member, Michael Argetsinger, on the subject of Mark Donohue. Mark was, and continues to be for me, the "gold standard" of qualities in which I look for in a driver and as a person. I, to this day, miss Mark and all that I thought he still had to contribute to the sport of auto racing.

I was in a used book store two days ago and for $5.00 picked up "Jim Clark: Potrait of a Great Driver" authored by another esteemed TNF member, Graham Gauld. It is a 1968 printing date. Didn't this book have multiple printings? Irregardless, I'm pleased to place it in my collection. It's one of those books that I've wanted for years, just never picked it up. I read the copy out of my school library when it was first out. Rather ironically the one I found is an old high school library copy.

Brian

#4106 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:18

Originally posted by B Squared
Didn't this book have multiple printings?

I'm pretty sure I've had hardbound and paperback versions at various times

#4107 jswavy

jswavy

• 21 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 17:01

Any publishing date for the new Donohue book?

#4108 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,015 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 18:11

Originally posted by B Squared

I was in a used book store two days ago and for $5.00 picked up "Jim Clark: Potrait of a Great Driver" authored by another esteemed TNF member, Graham Gauld. It is a 1968 printing date. Didn't this book have multiple printings? Irregardless, I'm pleased to place it in my collection. It's one of those books that I've wanted for years, just never picked it up. I read the copy out of my school library when it was first out. Rather ironically the one I found is an old high school library copy.

Brian

Brian, the one you have is partly a collection of memoirs of Jim by his peers. Without going to the trouble of checking, I think Graham's contribution may have been a rewrite of parts of "Jim Clark at the Wheel".

The one which went through three editions was "Jim Clark Remembered", first published in 1975. There was a second edition (revised?) in 1982 and a third in 1989, this time under the title "Jim Clark - The Legend Lives On".

#4109 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:43

Originally posted by jswavy
Any publishing date for the new Donohue book?

Just discovered a publication date of the end of April listed in a new thread on this site.
Tom

#4110 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:58

David & Vitesse2 - Thanks for the responses.

Brian

#4111 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 13:16

Brian - I should make clear that my comments ignored titles. I was referring to the Graham Gauld book

#4112 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,015 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 14:07

A remarkable bit of fakery ending shortly on eBay: check out item number 140296804170! :lol: Caveat emptor indeed ....

#4113 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 14:42

Originally posted by Vitesse2
A remarkable bit of fakery ending shortly on eBay: check out item number 140296804170! :lol: Caveat emptor indeed ....

Well spotted, but only on TNF...

#4114 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 14:55

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Maybe not. Maybe a genuine error, as this book was published in 1977 not 1978, and it does look like Hill's autograph.
Nathan

#4115 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,282 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:13

The point being that he died in November 1975.

#4116 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:37

Originally posted by Tim Murray

Tim
Yes, you're right. Just having a senior moment - thanks.
Nathan

#4117 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:44

Originally posted by Tim Murray

You'd have expected that signature to be a bit shakier really wouldn't you?

I don't want to start a new thread on this, but did anyone see that 'Now we can reveal' item on the Top Gear website about the Stig being Graham Hill who had been hiding behind the bushes on Elstree golf course since his "faked" plane crash? I thought that was quite dreadful, bad enough for someone to lose their job over, but after the way they dealt with Ross and Brand, what's the point in complaining to the BBC about it?

#4118 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,282 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 15:47

Originally posted by pilota
Just having a senior moment

Sadly, I have them all too often myself, Nathan. :)

#4119 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 16:35

B Squared : Reference the 1968 book let me explain.

During 1968 Jim and I were going to produce a sequel to his autobiography to be called " The First Ten Years are the Hardest" where we could get down to him going into more detail about his approach to driving, testing, other drivers etc, but as usual he could not make up his mind as to when we should get started on it because remember he had spent the whole of 1967 in Paris but agreed we had to do it in 1968.
So Jim is killed at Hockenheim and four days later I received a telephone call from Paul Hamlyns asking me to write a book on Jim. I said that we had planned to write a book together but hadn't really started even though I did have quite a bit of unpublished tape with him in store. I explained that I was due to fly to Munich the following day to bring a BMW from the factory to Scotland as a kind of driving exercise so said I would think about it on the way back and see him for lunch in London. Due to the time involved -they wanted the book to be published by the British Grand Prix in July. It was now mid-April and anyone who knows about publishing knows thats a tough schedule. I gave myself a week to research it dashing to Paris to stay with Jabby Crombac, to Kent to see John Surtees, to Snetterton to spend a grumpy hour or so whilst he was testing at the track, etc. My idea was to do a compilation of relfections on Jim by people who were close to him. I then came back to Scotland and wrote the pulled it all together along with some of my own reflections. I did two all-nighters and it was done in five days!!!
( And I think you would agree, it shows !!) but the thing was the book was on sale at the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in July which I think was an amazing performance by Hamlyns and the team. However I also feel it fair to add that I received not one single penny for that book as I donated it to the Jim Clark Foundation that had just been started and was proud to have been one of the largest donors to the Foundation until the big corporate guns came along.

Advertisement

#4120 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 17:10

Graham, any news on how Ian Scott-Watson is progressing with his book on JC? Or have I got that wrong? Is Ian better now?
Roger Lund

#4121 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 17:18

The last time I saw him a few weeks ago he never mentioned it and I would be surprised if he was going to write one.He is still very active but has had a lot of trouble with his eyes.

#4122 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 17:26

My mistake, then, Graham, as I had been under that impression from a certain photographer.
RL

#4123 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 19:43

Mr. Gauld, Thank you for your detailed account. I only saw Jim Clark run at Indy, but I am thrilled that I had that opportunity. I was "racing" Matchbox Formula One cars in my bedroom the morning of Jim's death. The CBS News broke in with the story, it dosn't seem possible that it's been almost 41) years ago.

Brian

#4124 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:01

Brothers Rodriguez arrived today, but since my pupils are still dilated from a medical examination, the only comment i can make right now is.....MASSIVE

Jack.

#4125 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:06

A friend of mine was invited to the opening of the new Porsche museum. Each guest was given a beautiful two volume set of books,,,one about the museum, and the other about the collection. Does anyone know if these will be available to the public?

Jack.

#4126 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 17:30

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
A friend of mine was invited to the opening of the new Porsche museum. Each guest was given a beautiful two volume set of books,,,one about the museum, and the other about the collection. Does anyone know if these will be available to the public?

Jack.

Jack:

Last year I pitched Porsche about doing a book on the cars in the new museum (and elsewhere), and they told me I was too late--they already had a book in the works. I have yet to see it, and inquiries remain unanswered, but I expect that it will be available soon.

Frank

#4127 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 20:06

Originally posted by fbarrett

Jack:

Last year I pitched Porsche about doing a book on the cars in the new museum (and elsewhere), and they told me I was too late--they already had a book in the works. I have yet to see it, and inquiries remain unanswered, but I expect that it will be available soon.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I suspected you'd know something about it. It is a beautifully conceived and executed book. Please let me know if you get more information.

Thannks again!

Jack.

#4128 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 21:46

If you search on the german amazon.de (enter porsche museum) you'll find a new book by the porsche company on the Porsche museum.

It will be published at the end of February at 99 Euro. It doesn't say whether it is a 2 volume book. The language is not mentioned either.

Jan

#4129 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:51

Thank you, Jan.

Jack.

#4130 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:51

New book for the Bugatti contingent:

Bugatti | From Milan to Molsheim
Uwe Hucke, Monika Hucke & Julius Kruta
808 pages
250 Euro
In English & German

link

#4131 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 17:35

The Bugatti book From Milan to Molsheim is also available from Amazon DE (German
amazon site). It's a shelf breaker book.

Michael

#4132 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 16:31

Book on Paddy Driver is now out here in South AFRICA. Not only deals with Paddy's career as bike and car racer, but covers South African racing during its "golden age".

The book, PADDY WHO? - A DRIVER'S LIFE OF BIKES AND CARS was written by Greg Mills, Ken McLeod and TNF'er Robert Young. More photos than text and all in b/w.

It sells for R250 (ABOUT 20euro). Not sure how much postage will set you back, since the book looks like a brick and has the weight of a brick...nearly 800 pages!!

#4133 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,579 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 22:20

Marius, how do we order it?
Roger

#4134 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:55

Originally posted by bradbury west
Marius, how do we order it?
Roger

Roger,

The Paddy Driver book can be ordered from Ecurie Zoo:

voszoo@global.co.za

#4135 continental

continental

• 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 16:33

Last Friday I met briefly with Tony Adriaensens at Retromobile in Paris. Apart from telling me that his book 'Weekend Heroes' is selling well, he also informed me about a new book. It will deal solely with the 1966 Targa Florio and should have a selection of wonderful pictures (as we have come to expect from Tony). Publication is due in the second half of the year. I'm looking forward to it!

Regards,

Mick

#4136 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 16:13

I recently received a copy of the first volume of a projected two-volume comprehensive study of Fuerza Libre racing in Argentina.
"Fuerza Libre 1919 - 1942" is by the respected Argentinean historian Guillermo Sanchez
The projected second volume will cover post-war racing.

The book is 372 pages, A4 format, hardbound, with excellent photo reproduction.
ISBN 978-987-05-4882-9
The whole of the text is in both Spanish and English
The greater part of the book consists of studies of the participating cars, organized by make.
There are also pen portaits of about a dozen of the more significant participants, plus a comprehensive results section.
Many of the photos are from the comprehensive archives of El Grafico.

I believe that a very few copies were available at Retromobile, but otherwise the book can only be bought from the author, Guillermo Sanchez whose e-mail is lafuerzalibre@yahoo.com.ar
The price is US$ 110, plus US$40 for DHL shipping to Europe
Payment by Pay-Pal is the most straightforward method.
A web-site is under development at the moment http://www.bonvivanteditions.com

Although the book is quite expensive, the serious student of South American Racing will not be disappointed!

If you need further details, send me an e-mail.

#4137 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 17:43

Sounds mouthwatering! :) I hope they do accept other payment methods than PayPal, though. :|

#4138 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 16:50

Originally posted by Hieronymus
Book on Paddy Driver is now out here in South AFRICA. Not only deals with Paddy's career as bike and car racer, but covers South African racing during its "golden age".

The book, PADDY WHO? - A DRIVER'S LIFE OF BIKES AND CARS was written by Greg Mills, Ken McLeod and TNF'er Robert Young. More photos than text and all in b/w.

It sells for R250 (ABOUT 20euro). Not sure how much postage will set you back, since the book looks like a brick and has the weight of a brick...nearly 800 pages!!

Cover Page of the Paddy Driver book:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4139 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 473 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:11

Hope someone can help.

I was discussing Maseratis with a friend of mine who told me that sometime ago a book was published listing all the chassis numbers delivered to their original owners, I think he said the book was by Corsa (which sounds like a nom de plume - or it could be I misheard him). Does anyone what the correct title is and who wrote and published it?

Is it Archivo Maserati published by Giorgio Nada in 1998 or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

Advertisement

#4140 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:21

There have been several
Probably the most easily available is Maserati Sports, Racing and GT Cars by Richard Crump and Rob de la Rive Box, which went into several editions.
The "bible" however is probably Maserati, a Complete History by Orsini and Zagari
As with anything listing "official" chassis numbers however, whether in books or on a website, the reality is often very different :)

#4141 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:42

I would echo David's remarks but would plug Walter Baumers new book on the Maserati 300S if that is the model that interests you.

#4142 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 473 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:00

Thanks for that. I have or have seen both the Orsini-Zagari and the Crump-De La Rive Box books and they don't match the description I was given. The reality of the basic information is something that intrigues me.

Last week, I saw Barry Eaglesfield's Bugatti Book which he did with Peter Hampton back in the 1950s which identified as many Bugattis as were built and existed at the time. The current list is probably three times as big!

Has anyone seen Archivo Maserati which maybe the one - it is priced at £250 which is a lot for something no-one recognises.

Someone once said something like "You show me your truth and I'll show you mine"

#4143 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 13:55

Originally posted by fuzzi
I think he said the book was by Corsa (which sounds like a nom de plume - or it could be I misheard him). Does anyone what the correct title is and who wrote and published it?

I think that "Corsa" to whom you refer was probably Ermanno Cozza, who has, I believe, had unparalleled access to the Maserati factory records and is viewed as the closest thing to a Maserati Factory Archivist.
The lists in Orsini & Zagari and in Crump & Box are certainly based on his notes/records.
However, I am not aware of any books actually written by Cozza.

#4144 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 16:07

One of the Alfa books on my shelves is published by Corsa Research...

#4145 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:47

New book on Tommy Hinnershitz:

Tommy Hinnershitz. The Life and Times of an Auto-Racing Legend (Hardcover)
by Gary Ludwig (Author)
List Price: $29.95
# Hardcover: 252 pages
# Publisher: Basket Road Press (January 1, 2009)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0981509940
# ISBN-13: 978-0981509945

Link

#4146 rwhitworth

rwhitworth

• 140 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 13:15

Originally posted by Hieronymus

Roger,

The Paddy Driver book can be ordered from Ecurie Zoo:

voszoo@global.co.za

Fabulous book. Covers far more than Paddy's career - it is a documentary of the entire era. :clap:

Includes several pictures and programme scans sourced from my own website (now moved to http://kyalami.homeip.net/kyalami/) - not that that is a particularly good reason to recommend it :

#4147 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 16:53

I hope that Greg Mills et al will compile a book on Tony Maggs. Publishing a book every year since 2005...so give us something on Tony Maggs, Mr. Mills!!

#4148 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 473 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:57

Originally posted by Adam F

I think that "Corsa" to whom you refer was probably Ermanno Cozza, who has, I believe, had unparalleled access to the Maserati factory records and is viewed as the closest thing to a Maserati Factory Archivist.
The lists in Orsini & Zagari and in Crump & Box are certainly based on his notes/records.
However, I am not aware of any books actually written by Cozza.

Adam
Thanks for that. I think Cozza is the one. If so I can return, as so often before, to the Orsini & Zagari book for hours of fun and learning. :)

#4149 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 20:29

A few things:

1. While wandering through this thread seeking information on NASCAR books I came across a reference last year to an upcoming biography of Brian Redman. Any updates?

2. Bill Neely's son has a number of his father's books on eBay. Neely passed away last year and wrote popular bios of Cale Yarborough, Richard Petty, and A.J. Foyt, among others. I'm not sure how I feel about the "I had my father sign a number of books just before he passed" approach, (well, actually I am), but some of these are not readily available, so, if you have any interest, take a look.

http://shop.ebay.com.../unclewally1969

3. Continuing in the NASCAR vein, I looked through a copy of Terry Blount's new book on NASCAR, The Blount Report, the other day and found his lists of underrated, overrated drivers, tracks, etc., a weak basis for a book, although if read as a series of magazine articles, and kept in the bathroom, it might work if obtained at the right price. Listing Mark Martin as the most overrated driver in NASCAR history struck me as an ill-argued attempt at garnering headlines, and several of his other lists seemed designed to provoke more than enlighten--denigrating Watkins Glen as an overrated track seemed based less on the nature of the track and its races than a whine about the amenities available for sportswriters. Mostly made me wish that Ed Hinton, or someone similarly attuned to NASCAR's history, would write another book.

#4150 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 21:27

Mark, if you have not already, have a look at Greg Fielden's Forty Years of Stock Car Racing series:
Vol I The Beginning 1949-1958
Vol II Superspeedway Boom 1959 -1964
Vol III Big Bucks & Boycotts 1965-1971
Vol IV Modern Era 1972-1989
Forty Plus Four 1990-1993
Real Racers NASCAR's most exciting era

He also did a couple of books that are now out of print: Rumblin’ Ragtops and High Speed at Low Tide.

MG