The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7722 replies to this topic

#4151 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:21

Originally posted by Mark Godfrey
Mark, if you have not already, have a look at Greg Fielden's Forty Years of Stock Car Racing series:
Vol I The Beginning 1949-1958
Vol II Superspeedway Boom 1959 -1964
Vol III Big Bucks & Boycotts 1965-1971
Vol IV Modern Era 1972-1989
Forty Plus Four 1990-1993
Real Racers NASCAR's most exciting era

He also did a couple of books that are now out of print: Rumblin’ Ragtops and High Speed at Low Tide.

MG

Thanks. I have most of those (the first 5), along with his one volume summary, NASCAR Chronicle, which, while lacking in depth, hits the high points of each year and is nicely illustrated.

Fielden's works may never be matched. As popular as NASCAR as become, no one has really come close to equaling his achievement, and I'm beginning to fear that no one has the interest.

Advertisement

#4152 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 20:30

Originally posted by Adam F
I recently received a copy of the first volume of a projected two-volume comprehensive study of Fuerza Libre racing in Argentina.
"Fuerza Libre 1919 - 1942" is by the respected Argentinean historian Guillermo Sanchez

The web site for the above book is now operational http://www.bonvivanteditions.com/

#4153 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 21:42

My copy of The Brothers Rodriguez just arrived.

Reaction One: WOW.

Reaction Two, and a question to those who have it: Where do you put it? I'm afraid I'm going to have to seriously reinforce a bookcase.

#4154 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 656 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:06

I also received my copy of The Brothers Rodriguez today and I can only concur with Red Stick's comments. This is simply a massive book.

Edit - With now having the opportunity to skim through this book, I can say the production value and quality is absolutely superb. Each page shows what a true labor of love this book was to the author. My sincere congratulations to Carlos on a magnificent work. I am looking forward to many enjoyable evenings with this book.

I also received the new Porsche 917 book, and at first glance it looks to be a quality volume.

#4155 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 15:42

A bit of a "double dip" here for any who may have missed this on the "New Mark Donohue biography by Michael Argetsinger" thread. In speaking with Michael yesterday, he asked me to convey that the title has been decided on.

"Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed"

Michael also is appreciative of the interest shown in his new work. Thank you.

Brian Brown

#4156 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 15:13

The Brothers Rodriguez book review from Classic Inside 08/2009 :

The Brothers Rodriguez

#4157 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 15:49

Posted by Leigh Trevail on the 1955 Dundrod thread, for any who missed it and might be interested

Bill Smith’s short life has been documented by Peter Sainty in a book called "An Artist at the Game" and is now available through www.lulu.com as a download at £3.75,( but this does not include the covers), or £9.51(plus P&P) as a perfect bound 56pp book. Alternatively it can be obtained direct from the author: Peter J Sainty, 62 Ashbourne Road, Derby, DE22 3AF for £10.50 inclusive

Edit: The website gave me a message saying my type of card was not acceptable, in spite of having an image saying it was. I tried their invitation to pay through PayPal, but for that they needed all sorts of irrelevant information which is not reuired by PayPal

So much for a downloadable version being available :down:

#4158 Black Star

Black Star

• 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 13:27

I would like to purchase the "Ferrari 1947-1997 Official Book" (Gianni Cancellieri).

What options do I have besides Ebay and Amazon?
Is there anyone who would like to sell his own copy?

Thanks in advance,
Yigal.

#4159 philippe charuest

philippe charuest

• 701 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 19:05

http://www.addall.com/
AddALL book search and price comparison http://www.abebooks.com/
Abebooks: New Books, Used Books, Rare Books, Out-of-Print Books ,for used books in general these are the place to look .but its always a good thing to check Ebay too . Addal check many book site .but most of the time its at abebook thatyou will find what youre looking for. Amazon is a great place for the NEW books but really not the place to go for used book most third party there are crooks

Advertisement

#4160 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 20:59

Amazon is a great place for the NEW books but really not the place to go for used book most third party there are crooks

I buy new & used books via Amazon Marketplace and have found almost every item to be well described & promptly mailed, though few sellers pack books as well as I like. You will find both great deals and seriously inflated prices--buy the former, avoid the latter.

#4161 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 15:59

Originally posted by philippe charuest
Amazon is a great place for the NEW books but really not the place to go for used book most third party there are crooks

I think this paints with rather too broad a brush. There are all kinds of sellers on Amazon Marketplace, and I've been quite happy with several of them. Check the ratings, and look around at Abebooks and, in the US, Alibris on pricing.

#4162 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 16:03

Originally posted by Mark Godfrey
. . . though few sellers pack books as well as I like.

This is fast becoming a problem. The art of packing a book is becoming a lost art and I've been amazed at how haphazardly some sellers treat it, some just popping the book into a (sometimes) padded envelope and hoping for the best. That said, my recently purchased copy of Golden Boy arrived in a custom-made fitted box (thanks, Tony), and in the US, The Motorsport Collector also does a fine job of making sure your items arrive as pristine as possible.

#4163 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 16:03

Originally posted by philippe charuest
Amazon is a great place for the NEW books but really not the place to go for used book most third party there are crooks [/B]

Salut Philippe,
I have to agree with Mark! I buy and sell on Amazon and confirm that there are many reputable dealers in used motor sports books giving a good service. My advice is stick with the ones who give detailed descriptions. And complain if they're not accurate! (Buyer feedback is so rare on Amazon that one disgruntled customer has quite an impact on one's 'rating'; as a result, any sensible seller wants to give a very good service.) Yes, they're are some books (not usually motor sport) that have unwarranted, astronomic prices. These are usually listed by American firms who hold no stock, buying books to order. They run what I consider to be a computerised con but the answer must be....don't buy from them!

As a buyer, I do rate sites such as Abe but, as I'm a relatively low volume seller, I use Amazon because I can't yet afford the monthly fees of the bigger sites. This will be the case for other sellers too.

John
(winfield_books)

#4164 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 21:04

Originally posted by john winfield
My advice is stick with the ones who give detailed descriptions. And complain if they're not accurate!

Exceptional advice. If they care enough to be very precise about the condition of the book, they can probably be relied upon, having taken the time at the beginning of the process to make it likely that there are no surprises down the road. If the description is "like new, some shelf wear," or the like, start e-mailing until you're satisfied you know what you need to know. Or better yet, move on.

#4165 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 483 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 23:48

Originally posted by David McKinney
Posted by Leigh Trevail on the 1955 Dundrod thread, for any who missed it and might be interested

Bill Smith’s short life has been documented by Peter Sainty in a book called "An Artist at the Game" and is now available through www.lulu.com as a download at £3.75,( but this does not include the covers), or £9.51(plus P&P) as a perfect bound 56pp book. Alternatively it can be obtained direct from the author: Peter J Sainty, 62 Ashbourne Road, Derby, DE22 3AF for £10.50 inclusive

Edit: The website gave me a message saying my type of card was not acceptable, in spite of having an image saying it was. I tried their invitation to pay through PayPal, but for that they needed all sorts of irrelevant information which is not reuired by PayPal

So much for a downloadable version being available :down:

I would have to say having seen the mention of this book "An Artist at the Game" and paying the $6.47US for the downloadable version it is not worth it no real guts to it, lots of blank pages, large print, big borders etc virtually no photos. Anyway I will be interested to hear others comments
terry

#4166 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:33

For those keeping track, Burt Levy's latest novel in The Last Open Road series, The 200 mph Steamroller should be available this summer. Sadly, his site refers to it as the fifth and "most likely last" volume in the series. On the other hand, those of us hoping he'd take us through the Shelby and GT40 years aren't likely to be disappointed. See link for reason.

http://www.lastopenr...steamroller.htm

#4167 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:22

Mark:

I'm sorry, but Burt Levy's "novels" are good examples of the benefits of employing a good editor. If only he had done so, they would have been even more enjoyable.

Frank

#4168 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,876 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:37

Why read novels when the real thing is far more interesting, ludicrous, idiotic, tragic, dramatic, outrageous and whichever adjective you care to use?

#4169 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:55

That's something I have been asking me for years: why do people read novels, when they could just as easily get a life! :confused:

#4170 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:47

Hmmmm, tough crowd.

Frank, you're certainly correct, especially about the last one. I still found them enjoyable and look forward to the next. Feel free to console yourself that it is evidently the last.  ;)

Ensign, if we're speaking of novels about motorsports, the genre as a whole has not been particularly . . . good. If we're speaking of novels in general, then nothing I can say will change your mind.

Fines, assuming you're not speaking tongue firmly in cheek, well, the truth is out about the nature of my life. :blush:

#4171 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 15:09

Originally posted by red stick

This is fast becoming a problem. The art of packing a book is becoming a lost art and I've been amazed at how haphazardly some sellers treat it, some just popping the book into a (sometimes) padded envelope and hoping for the best. That said, my recently purchased copy of Golden Boy arrived in a custom-made fitted box (thanks, Tony), and in the US, The Motorsport Collector also does a fine job of making sure your items arrive as pristine as possible.

Thanks. They come like that from the printers with each book sealed/wrapped individually and packed in its custom box. Protects them on their way to us and then saves a hell of a lot of hassle when shipping - costs about 90p per book overall.

Incidentally, we are next to sold out of both editions of Golden Boy. A reprint is not now on the cards at the moment due to the 'economic situation' so if anyone doesn't have a copy, now would be a good time to think about it.

But we are actively looking at a possible further edition with the emphasis of the book changed for those of you that thought there wasn't enough racing coverage. More anon.

#4172 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 18:12

Originally posted by fines
That's something I have been asking me for years: why do people read novels, when they could just as easily get a life! :confused:

Reading good novels provides the best experience of several people's lives! Recognising the good stuff from the crapola is the tricky bit....

DCN

#4173 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 21:19

I read one of Karl Ludvigsen's magazine articles last year, where he mentioned working on a Porsche By Mailander book. If you read this message Karl, are you still going ahead with this project or has it been put on hold? or does anyone else have any info about this project?

Matt

#4174 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 21:58

I just came across a squib for this book on the Dalton-Watson website.
Tom

#4175 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:40

RA Historian - Do you have a link?

I can't seem to find anything about it on their website!!!

Matt

#4176 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:04

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Reading good novels provides the best experience of several people's lives! Recognising the good stuff from the crapola is the tricky bit....

DCN

As much as I appreciate well-written history, biography and other non-fiction books (especially about our favorite subject), novels have had a far greater effect on my life than any non-fiction I've read.

Jack.

#4177 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:49

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

As much as I appreciate well-written history, biography and other non-fiction books (especially about our favorite subject), novels have had a far greater effect on my life than any non-fiction I've read.

Jack.

Hard to see how a bad novel can have the same harmful effect as bad history, biography and other non-fiction books.

Easy to incorporate insights and art from novels - even bad ones. Difficult to exorcise bad facts - even from otherwise well-written history, etc..

The process of winnowing in both categories can be excruciatingly pleasurable.

A contemporary question much discussed is:
Is reading (books) the same as screening (on computers or Kimbles), and will the latter replace the former?

#4178 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:00

Originally posted by red stick
Fines, assuming you're not speaking tongue firmly in cheek, well, the truth is out about the nature of my life. :blush:

Don't worry, I'm an avid reader myself...;)

Originally posted by Frank S
A contemporary question much discussed is:
Is reading (books) the same as screening (on computers or Kimbles), and will the latter replace the former?

I'm not sure if the eBook will actually replace the conventional book any time soon, but it is an extremely interesting and fascinating development - and we ain't seen nothing yet! Wait for the inevitable price drop, and the world of publishing will change forever... :eek: [for good or for bad...]

#4179 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 15:19

Originally posted by MattKellett
RA Historian - Do you have a link?

Try this Matt:
www.daltonwatson.com

Tom

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. I just noticed that you said PORSCHE and I was giving you info on the similar book on Ferrari. I should learn to read.

Advertisement

#4180 bigears

bigears

• 870 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 19:05

Does Autocourse cover the F3000 series in details preferably from 1986-1990?

#4181 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:31

Originally posted by bigears
Does Autocourse cover the F3000 series in detail, preferably from 1986-1990?

The coverage equates to today's GP2 analysis - a 1500-word overview rather than race-by-race detail.

#4182 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 996 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 20:51

New Book:

One Off: The Roads, The Races, The Automobiles of Toly Arutunoff by Anatoly Arutunoff

Amateur road racer, raconteur and car guy extraordinaire, Anatoly Arutunoff tells a lifetime of his favorite true first-person stories. From his youth in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, to participation at the real Targa Florio, to eventually winning the SCCA runoffs in his Morgan 4/4, to building Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, to more recent times on the historic rally circuit, Toly makes you think you were there sharing all the adventures and camaraderie. There are intriguing family moments, the exuberance of youth, and brushes with greats such as Moss, Clark, and Redman plus many lesser known players from the past 60 years, who collectively molded the sports car culture that has always surrounded the author.

Written in an uncomplicated and light-hearted style, the book offers the reader the chance to discover a new friend in a man who suggests, "All the car stuff I've done is a sort of cross-section of what you would have done, if you'd been young in the 1960s and had the money." Ride with Toly on the roads and racetracks in America and Europe and share in an experience that is truly "One Off!"

Books are in stock ready to ship. Other books available on the website, too. Hardbound , 264 pages, 41 color photos, 22 black & white photos; item #75825, price: $39.95 plus shipping.

Here's the link:

http://www.tpr-inc.c...logNumber=75825

Here's the website;

http://www.tpr-inc.com

Frank

#4183 bigears

bigears

• 870 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 21:43

Originally posted by Simon Arron

The coverage equates to today's GP2 analysis - a 1500-word overview rather than race-by-race detail.

Any specific mention or even photos from the Birmingham Superprix?

#4184 andyeng0

andyeng0

• 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 22:08

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I can beg, steal or borrow, a copy of Vijftig jaar Tulpenrallye 1949-1999 by Jan de Beuss.

There are 2 volumes, Vol 1 is narrative, with Vol 2 being the lists of runners and riders.

Regards

Andyeng0

#4185 Murray Lord

Murray Lord

• 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:40

I have just finished reading The Bentley Era by Nicholas Foulkes and as it doesn't seem to have been referred to on TNF before I thought I would post a few words.

It was published in 2008 and is a short history of the racing of Bentleys up to the 1930s. Rather than focussing on details of the races or having too much information on the cars, it's more the story of the cast of interesting characters who were the Bentley Boys, as well as the struggles to keep the company afloat. While I suspect it doesn't contain much information that would be new to people well versed in the history of racing in that period, it's well written, entertaining and good value (stated UK price GBP15, I got it in Australia for AUD35). It also contains a good selection of photos.

Murray

#4186 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 18:30

Don't think it has been mentioned yet:

Jochen Rindt: Lost Champion
by David Tremayne
Publication date June 2009
ISBN: 9781844256839
27 pounds (cost not weight...)

Another book to look forward to.

Michael

#4187 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:53

Originally posted by MichaelM
Don't think it has been mentioned yet:

Jochen Rindt: Lost Champion
by David Tremayne
Publication date June 2009
ISBN: 9781844256839
27 pounds (cost not weight...)

Another book to look forward to.

Michael

Thanks for the details. Judging by the author's previous works, it will definitely be worth the wait.

#4188 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 22:21

I have a book on Ronnie Peterson (Formula 1- Super Swede) by Johnny Tipler and great photos it contains too. I have had the book about 4-5 years, but it is in Swedish......a long story, do not ask! I have just looked to see if I can re purchase the book on Amazon...and the price the only one was offered at was £223.00 :eek: Does anyone have any information on this book? As I say, it looks pretty good to me, great photos, but I cannot read Swedish, sadly.

#4189 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,853 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 22:46

Originally posted by sterling49
I have a book on Ronnie Peterson (Formula 1- Super Swede) by Johnny Tipler and great photos it contains too. I have had the book about 4-5 years, but it is in Swedish......a long story, do not ask! I have just looked to see if I can re purchase the book on Amazon...and the price the only one was offered at was £223.00 :eek: Does anyone have any information on this book? As I say, it looks pretty good to me, great photos, but I cannot read Swedish, sadly.

http://forums.autosp...451#post1495451

:)

#4190 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 22:51

Thanks for the link, so it contains a good story (if I could read Swedish : ) but it is now out of print, but Amazon at £223.00 :confused:

I am glad that it has some terrific photos :up:

#4191 coco

coco

• 166 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 18:29

Originally posted by bradbury west
It was reviewed very well recently by one of the monthly journals. It sounds good, but could be a lot of money for a poor choice.
Roger Lund

I did my best! The history of all 300S`s are very very confusing and complex. No wonder that nobody tried to write a book about this fantastic cars (I heared that Richard Crump wanted to do this many years ago, but didn`t!).

Of course there are some errors and mistakes in it (...we are all human) and some new infos, pictures came to light AFTER the publisher clearly said "Stop it NOW - we have to go to print!" - but all this is normal business. Is there any book that featured an issue 50 years ago that contains no errors etc.???

What I tried is not only to do a book about the 300S - I also wanted to do something with perfect presented photos (not this small-sizes-pics that shows cars almost halve a mile away!),and -as an ex-Art Director for major fashion- and cosmetic-brands - a modern layout (patchwork here!).

As I said, ...I tried!

Ciao!
Walter Bäumer

#4192 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 18:56

Originally posted by sterling49

This price is criminal and the seller is surely an opportunist that has to be locked away. Try www.usedbooksearch.co.uk

I am sure you find a decently priced copy somewhere. Recently a used bookdealer in SA sold this book for something like 20 Euro...

#4193 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,627 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 19:18

Having done a quick search of various booksearch websites, I can't believe how rare this book appears to be, in spite of Hieronymus's South African experience. I couldn't find one at a 'modest' price.

#4194 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 19:45

I guess we are are just lucky at times (although one tends to think the opposite, most of the time)...like the time I bought the Georgano Encyclopaedia for R80 (7 Euro) and Pomeroy's "Grand Prix Car" for 12 Euro.

#4195 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 16:52

Originally posted by Hieronymus

This price is criminal and the seller is surely an opportunist that has to be locked away. Try www.usedbooksearch.co.uk

I am sure you find a decently priced copy somewhere. Recently a used bookdealer in SA sold this book for something like 20 Euro...

Thanks for the tips guys, I am now having a browse, if I find the book that I want, a Swedish version will be available.

hmmmn, best price £75.00 from WHS, oh well.

#4196 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,405 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:51

I have The Viking Drivers, the story of Ronnie Petersen and Gunnar Nillson, and The Georgano Encyclopaedia, both bought new when they we're first published :up:
I'll have a look tonight and see what I paid for them.

#4197 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,209 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:36

The Georgano cost £7 when first published. IIRC I got mine as a remaindered copy for half that price. :drunk:

#4198 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:43

I was ripped off..mine cost $NZ14.65, which was £7.32 back then :

#4199 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,687 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:05

I bought my Georgano from John Lello at Motor Books back in 1980/81 or so.

It was the window copy but I cannot remember now what I actually paid for it, but not very much I'm sure.

Advertisement

#4200 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,876 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:52

£30 at a bookfair about 15 years ago, I think, for the 2nd (or 3rd) edition of Encycolpaedia of Motorcars as well.

That's come out in a 2 vols edition (plus one on coachbuilders) - no chance of an updated motor racing one, I suppose...