The book thread: In memory of Pete Fenelon

• Please log in to reply
7743 replies to this topic

#4201 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 13:15

Originally posted by sterling49
I have a book on Ronnie Peterson (Formula 1- Super Swede) by Johnny Tipler and great photos it contains too. I have had the book about 4-5 years, but it is in Swedish......a long story, do not ask! I have just looked to see if I can re purchase the book on Amazon...and the price the only one was offered at was £223.00 :eek: Does anyone have any information on this book? As I say, it looks pretty good to me, great photos, but I cannot read Swedish, sadly.

http://www.abebooks....Ronnie Peterson

Collectors car books have the collectors copy for sale for £95.

Advertisement

#4202 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 13:56

I was in an old book store yesterday and picked up a 1945 Clymer publishing of Monkhouse's "Motor Racing with Mercedes-Benz". I know it's not the original, but for $15.00, I figured it was well worth it. My late Danish friend, Peter, raved of this book for years. He and his dad travelled from Skelskor to the German GP from 1935 - 38 and he loved the Mercedes/ Auto Union battles. He loved racing to the end, but he talked of these races until his dying day.

Brian

#4203 MichaelM

MichaelM

• 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 22:20

Another new book coming out:

Cristian Bertschi & Estanislao Iacona are back at it, this
time with a book entitled Ferrari 375 racing in Argentina.
In English, 144 pages, softbound.
History of just four cars (0358AM, 0370AM, 0374AM, 0398AM)
that went to Argentina.

Autonetcarbooks.com

or contact direct at: info@whitefly.cc

Michael

#4204 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 23:54

Ronnie Peterson: A Photographic Portrait
$54.95
by Alan Henry
Regarded as one of the quickest drivers in F1 history, Ronnie Peterson was also one of the most popular drivers of the 70s. This is the latest in a series of well produced books filled with stunning images from the archives of LAT Photographic.

240 pages / 180 color and 60 B&W images.

The latest release in the excellent 'Photographic Portrait' series from Haynes, it honors the career of 'Super Swede', Ronnie Peterson, one of the quickest and bravest Grand Prix drivers of the 1970s.

This excellent photo-biography of Ronnie Peterson features 250 photos (180 color / 60 b&w) from the archives of LAT Photographic, Reminiscences by Alan Henry and Photo Commentary by Quentin Spurring.

We recommend the entire 'Photographic Portrait' series, but unlike the other books in this series (featuring Gilles Villeneuve, Jim Clark and Nigel Mansell), this may be the most important, as very little has been written about Ronnie Peterson in many years. $54.95.
http://www.motorspor...roducts_id=2909

#4205 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:26

A short note to alert members that this thread has been 'un-stuck'.

It gets added-to on a regular basis and so will never be far away from the front page, but can always be found quickly by using the oft-overlooked 'Search BB' facility.

#4206 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 13:51

Originally posted by WGD706
Ronnie Peterson: A Photographic Portrait
$54.95
by Alan Henry
Regarded as one of the quickest drivers in F1 history, Ronnie Peterson was also one of the most popular drivers of the 70s. This is the latest in a series of well produced books filled with stunning images from the archives of LAT Photographic.

240 pages / 180 color and 60 B&W images.

The latest release in the excellent 'Photographic Portrait' series from Haynes, it honors the career of 'Super Swede', Ronnie Peterson, one of the quickest and bravest Grand Prix drivers of the 1970s.

This excellent photo-biography of Ronnie Peterson features 250 photos (180 color / 60 b&w) from the archives of LAT Photographic, Reminiscences by Alan Henry and Photo Commentary by Quentin Spurring.

We recommend the entire 'Photographic Portrait' series, but unlike the other books in this series (featuring Gilles Villeneuve, Jim Clark and Nigel Mansell), this may be the most important, as very little has been written about Ronnie Peterson in many years. $54.95.
http://www.motorspor...roducts_id=2909

Thanks for the info, I will peruse this little lot, and probably obtain one from this list, and then just look at the pictures in the Swedish version I have, seem to have been there before :lol:

#4207 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 15:22

Originally posted by Twin Window

It gets added-to on a regular basis and so will never be far away from the front page, but can always be found quickly by using the oft-overlooked 'Search BB' facility.

bump :-)

#4208 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,046 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 16:38

Originally posted by Adam F
I recently received a copy of the first volume of a projected two-volume comprehensive study of Fuerza Libre racing in Argentina.
"Fuerza Libre 1919 - 1942" is by the respected Argentinean historian Guillermo Sanchez
The projected second volume will cover post-war racing.

Although the book is quite expensive, the serious student of South American Racing will not be disappointed!

I now have this book in my hot little hands...forget the serious student, the casually interested will be absolutely enamoured. There is a phenomenal wealth of detail and some fantastic photography. I had no idea how extensive the Argentinian racing scene was. I have not had a chance to get into the text, but it's bilingually Spanish and English, and uses Gill sans, which always looks clean. Decent quality paper as well.

Definitely waiting for volume 2. I wonder how far it will go - to those mad 60s specials?

#4209 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:05

Originally posted by fbarrett
New Book:

One Off: The Roads, The Races, The Automobiles of Toly Arutunoff by Anatoly Arutunoff

Amateur road racer, raconteur and car guy extraordinaire, Anatoly Arutunoff tells a lifetime of his favorite true first-person stories.

[ ... ]

Books are in stock ready to ship. Other books available on the website, too. Hardbound , 264 pages, 41 color photos, 22 black & white photos; item #75825, price: $39.95 plus shipping.

Here's the link:

http://www.tpr-inc.c...logNumber=75825

Here's the website;

http://www.tpr-inc.com

Frank

Thank you, Frank. I have enjoyed the first several pages of this book, although apparently not as much as his wife did. I'm wondering if the remainder of the tome will contain any of the stories I heard him tell. I guess reality demanded he leave out some, or many, much to our disadvantage.

He describes himself as "a talker who types"; much to our advantage, so it seems.

#4210 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:31

Originally posted by Twin Window

I've always wondered what the criteria are for stickiness. I'll miss this thread always being at the top of the page....seemed like it earned its right to be there.

Jack.

#4211 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,167 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:05

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad

....seemed like it earned its right to be there.

Jack.

I agree, any particular reason for demoting this most useful thread?

#4212 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:24

I think the feeling is that too many sticky threads mean they get ignored. Witness the number of threads relating to new books that people raise (and not only the authors!).

I do wonder whether the "How to post images" thread has grown too long to the extent that it is difficult to find the basic information. I don't have any pictures so I haven't had to learn the ropes, but if I wanted to I would soon give up.

#4213 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:29

Originally posted by D-Type
I think the feeling is that too many sticky threads mean they get ignored. Witness the number of threads relating to new books that people raise (and not only the authors!).

I don't think that having this as a mobile thread will decrease the number of new threads on books at all. Those who don't see it at the top of the page certainly will not see it as it moves around.
Tom

#4214 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:30

Good point

And you beat my edit!

#4215 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,418 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:22

Originally posted by Paul Hurdsfield
I have The Viking Drivers, the story of Ronnie Petersen and Gunnar Nillson, and The Georgano Encyclopaedia, both bought new when they we're first published :up:
I'll have a look tonight and see what I paid for them.

I forgot about this on Monday...senior moment :blush:

The Viking Drivers Cost £4.95

The Georgano Encyclopaedia says £7.00 inside the front cover.
I'm not sure if I paid the full price or if it was on the discount shelf :confused:

#4216 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 23:51

Oh, dear, we're slipping. C'mon gang, let's chat it up a bit, or we'll soon be on page 146!

Book Talk: I just read Janet Guthrie's autobiography, My Life at Full Throttle. Lets you know who the nice guys and not so nice guys in USAC and NASCAR were during the 1970s. The Toly Arutunoff book One Off, mentioned above, just arrived, so it's next. So many books, so little time!

Frank

#4217 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:07

Oh, dear, we're slipping. C'mon gang, let's chat it up a bit, or we'll soon be on page 146!

(subversive new signature line)

#4218 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:58

Originally posted by terry mcgrath

I would have to say having seen the mention of this book "An Artist at the Game" and paying the $6.47US for the downloadable version it is not worth it no real guts to it, lots of blank pages, large print, big borders etc virtually no photos. Anyway I will be interested to hear others comments
terry

I have just down-loaded the book, without difficulty, at a cost of £3.75. I can see why someone expecting a book on motor racing might be disappointed: it's only just over 7,000 words long including the appendices, acknowledgements and table of contents - but to expect a whole motor racing book for the same price as a small glass of the house red in an inexpensive restaurant might elsewhere be thought to be overly optimisitc. The booklet is exactly what it says: a memorial to one, very young and clearly very talented, driver who was killed before the end of his first international season, while still essentially an unknown amateur. By definition it is not going to be very big.

Only the cognoscenti had heard of Bill Smith when he was killed at Dundrod in 1955, in the last full-on motor race to be held on public roads in the UK (pace the Birmingham Grand Prix and other such exhibitions) and on what was in effect his first works drive. Without this little memoire, he would to the present-day historian now still be only 'the talented and up-and-coming youngster' that the contemporary reports - and thus all later accounts - of the race described. With the booklet, naive (in the nicest sense of the word) as it might be said in places to be, his brief presence in the sport, along with a glimpse at what the future might have held for both him and the sport, is better secured. Inter alia, the book also gives probably the most accurate and detailed account now available of what actually happened in the crash that ended not only the lives of Bill Smith and Jim Mayers but also ended road racing for motor cars in the UK.

As to the blank pages, et al: I suspect the .pdf downloadable version has fallen victim to the formating and page breaks needed to create a sensible looking printed version.

I recommend it to anyone interested in British sports car racing of the Fifties in general, and the Dundrod TT in particular.

Like I say: we are talking less than the price of a decent glass of wine here.

#4219 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 19:40

Frank

I just got my Ferdinand Porsche book you sent me last week. I've not had much time to have a good look, but the presentation and quality of the book is superb. I'm looking forward to start reading this weekend. How was the VW/Porsche literature meet last weekend?

Matt

Advertisement

#4220 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 23:16

Matt:

Glad you like the book. I now have only three copies left, and I am told they are the last new copies available anywhere. If the dust jacket is damaged, please let me know, and I'll send you another. Some dust jackets were damaged when Bentley's not-so-swift minions pushed on the protective styrofoam caps.

The Porsche literature (book, poster, model, sales literature, memorabilia) swap was a huge success for me and almost all of the 200 or so other vendors. Thankfully, since I drove 2,200 miles to and fro to attend, it totally defied the current state of the economy!

Frank

#4221 retriever

retriever

• 394 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:53

I have created a reply just to get this header back on page one where it belongs. It really needs to be reinstated as a 'sticky'

Remember - out of sight = out of mind.

#4222 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 20:58

New (to me anyway) book:

La course de côte de Gaillon de 1899 à 1928

La course de côte de Gaillon de 1899 à 1928, à travers les articles de presse de l époque
par J. M. Derrien et J. Tessier, ed. Page de Garde 2001, livre de 218 pages format 200 x 280, couv. souple, occasion en tres bon état

28 € (Euro)

Link

#4223 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:21

Originally posted by retriever
I have created a reply just to get this header back on page one where it belongs. It really needs to be reinstated as a 'sticky'

Perhaps we should take turns bumping it as a form of civil disobedience.  ;)

Oh, and if it matters, I'd prefer it be a "sticky" as well.

#4224 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:24

Speaking personally, I'd rather see a new thread for each book under discussion
As long as the book title - or some clear ID such as "Rodriguez brothers book" - was used as the thread title, they should be easily searchable
(But wouldn't be if people called their threads "a new book" or something equally helpful)

#4225 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:00

Originally posted by retriever

My turn. :p
Tom

#4226 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:38

Originally posted by David McKinney
Speaking personally, I'd rather see a new thread for each book under discussion

Me too :up:

#4227 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 19:23

I agree that it would be good with separate threads for each book and have started on on a new Mauro Forghieri Autobiography

#4228 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 19:50

I can see the value of one thread per book, but it seems to me that part of the charm of this thread is the wide-ranging discussion as one book leads to another. I wonder if one thread-one book, for most books, won't result in a series of lost threads as they disappear down the pages and are forgotten.

#4229 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 20:37

Frankly, I cannot understand why this thread had its adhesive properties removed in the first place... If the single motorcycling thread can run to 4,321,672 posts and prove utterly impenetrable why can't this one?

DCN

#4230 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 21:44

Originally posted by Jan Holmskov
I agree that it would be good with separate threads for each book and have started on on a new Mauro Forghieri Autobiography

Jan
Is this the Italian book - "30 years with Ferrari" - or similar, or is there an English autobiography?
Nathan

#4231 retriever

retriever

• 394 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 22:26

Aha, the relief column has arrived! Thank you Mr Nye for coming to the rescue of our cause - we need all the help we can muster to persuade Twin Window to reverse the previous decision to let this poor creature roam and fend for itself.
I know, being a publisher - Roundoak - that I could be accused of being biased in favour of the printed word but this thread really has far more importance than its cousin - say something about yourself - that currently remains well adhered to the notice board!
As for separate logs on individual books, do not complicate matters - no, just keep it straight simple and straight forward - one log.

#4232 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 22:36

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Frankly, I cannot understand why this thread had its adhesive properties removed in the first place... If the single motorcycling thread can run to 4,321,672 posts and prove utterly impenetrable why can't this one?

DCN

:up:

#4233 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 23:39

As Jack said
Re-stick the book thread!!
Nathan

#4234 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 656 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:43

This book thread should be indeed stuck. This is one of the threads that I always look first for during my visits to TNF.

#4235 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:32

Here's another vote to make this thread a sticky again. This thead is important to me.

#4236 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:23

As the first person to apply a sticky to the topic of books here at TNF, about 2001 or so in this case, I have found it a bit disconcerting to not see it in its accustomed place. Many days, it is all I bother to take a look at when I tune in.

David does make a point that I wish were possible, that is, reviews and comments on individual books as well as general comments on the book scene. Some may object to that, but it is more a matter of technology than anything else. Ideally, it would be possible to break this thread down that way, but the fact is that this is a forum still using technomagic from -- appropriately in some way -- the far, distant past. It is what it is.

One of the notions I had in the early days was the discussion of automotive literature.

Well, if Stu even gets tired of doing this, I will now be happy to take it back.

#4237 Jan Holmskov

Jan Holmskov

• 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:10

Pilota,

The complete title of the Mauro Forghieri book is : Mauro Forghieri 30 anni di Ferrari e oltre.

#4238 rudi

rudi

• 208 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:12

Yes, please re-stick it. Thanks.

#4239 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:20

A book question.

I noticed a Grp C & IMSA book on the Hortons stand at Stoneleigh yesterday. It was a double volume with slipcase. Wanted to have a closer look but the chap on the stand seemed to be trying to sell a painting and I gave up after 10mins meaning to go back later but forgot.

Anyone know this book and whether it's any good or not?

Oh and re-sticky the thread please!

Advertisement

#4240 pilota

pilota

• 199 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:20

Originally posted by Jan Holmskov
Pilota,

The complete title of the Mauro Forghieri book is : Mauro Forghieri 30 anni di Ferrari e oltre.

Jan - thanks
More from Jan on this book in this post http://forums.autosp...threadid=106949
Nathan

#4241 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:38

Originally posted by red stick
I can see the value of one thread per book, but it seems to me that part of the charm of this thread is the wide-ranging discussion as one book leads to another. I wonder if one thread-one book, for most books, won't result in a series of lost threads as they disappear down the pages and are forgotten.

I totally agree with M. Baton Rouge here! Add another vote for those who want to have this thread sticky again, if indeed there is such a thing as a vote on this matter, which I for one would appreciate very much!;)

#4242 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:47

Originally posted by fines

I totally agree with M. Baton Rouge here! Add another vote for those who want to have this thread sticky again, if indeed there is such a thing as a vote on this matter, which I for one would appreciate very much!;)

Ditto...see also my post in the SUGGESTIONS BOX:

http://forums.autosp...852#post3507852

#4243 ERault

ERault

• 331 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 17:49

noticed a Grp C & IMSA book on the Hortons stand at Stoneleigh yesterday. It was a double volume with slipcase. Wanted to have a closer look but the chap on the stand seemed to be trying to sell a painting and I gave up after 10mins meaning to go back later but forgot.

Have a look, I think that must be this one :

http://www.johnstark...publish_nr.html

On the subject, you can't go wrong with Ian Briggs' "Endurance Racing 1982-1991".

Edit : just noticed it was supposed to be an update version of Briggs' work I was talking about. I can't comment on the value of the updated bits, but it would prove difficult to go bad starting from this.

#4244 david stinson

david stinson

• 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:50

I am wondering whether anyone might have purchased or looked at the new Porsche 908 book recently published by Veloce? I have been waiting for this one for awhile but I was hoping to get a recommendation before purchasing.

#4245 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,000 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 23:03

Originally posted by david stinson
I am wondering whether anyone might have purchased or looked at the new Porsche 908 book recently published by Veloce? I have been waiting for this one for awhile but I was hoping to get a recommendation before purchasing.

David:

So far I have only the German-language edition and will reserve judgement until the English version arrives here in the U.S., which should be in about a month, I'm told. Whatever, the 908 was an amazing success for Porsche, a car well worth a good book.

Frank
Toad Hall Motorbooks
www.toadhallbook.com

#4246 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:34

Haven't seen this one before....

Title: Racing Corvettes - The Early Years
Author Name: Evans, Art

Binding: Softbound
Book Condition: New
Number of pages: 76 pages
Dimensions: 11'' x 8.5''
Publisher: AE Photo Data Research 2009
ISBN Number: 0979721911 / 9780979721915
Item No.: 37737
Availability: Allow 3-6 weeks

A scrapbook assembled by Art Evans, with remembrances by John Fitch and friends. Not intended to be a comprehensive treatment of the subject it is instead mostly about John Fitch and 3 events: 1956 Sebring, 1957 Sebring and 1960 Le Mans.

Much of the text is comprised of remembrances written by John Fitch and others who were there.

0-9797219-1-1

Price = 19.95 USD

Link

#4247 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,119 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:01

Originally posted by ERault

Have a look, I think that must be this one :

http://www.johnstark...publish_nr.html

On the subject, you can't go wrong with Ian Briggs' "Endurance Racing 1982-1991".

Edit : just noticed it was supposed to be an update version of Briggs' work I was talking about. I can't comment on the value of the updated bits, but it would prove difficult to go bad starting from this.

Thanks for that link, wish I'd remembered to go back now. Think I'll get in touch with Hortons.

#4248 mfd

mfd

• 2,879 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 23:30

So far I have only the German-language edition and will reserve judgement until the English version arrives here in the U.S., which should be in about a month, I'm told. Whatever, the 908 was an amazing success for Porsche, a car well worth a good book

It is the same book, but reduced in size from 300 x 325 mm to a more manageable shelf worthy 260 x 260 Veloce style size.

#4249 ivandjj

ivandjj

• 98 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 14:40

stick the thread back and call it pete fenelon memorial book thread :)

#4250 CNE

CNE

• 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 15:22

Originally posted by ivandjj
stick the thread back and call it pete fenelon memorial book thread :)

Cracking idea :up:

Seconded

Chris